Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,060 | Reviews: 1,762
4.59/5  rDev +24.1%

The most amazing part of this beer is the smell; almost cinnamon and dry fruit (on a sidenote..my wife has a candle that smells exactly the same..it's called Kitchen Spice). Pours a cloudy golden color.
Tastes spicy (not hot) with a lingering sense of wheat. I enjoyed this beer over a reuben sandwich and it complimented the spicy pastrami very well.

4.58/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very good, different beer. Spices are good at first, overtake beer towards the end.

4.58/5  rDev +23.8%

Yellowish orange color with a thick white head.

Smell brings some yeast, fruit, spice, and malt.

Tastes great, nice mixture of malt and fruit. A surprisingly great beer from Victory

Feels very nice, almost perfect carbonation in my book.

I could drink this shit all night, so good..

4.57/5  rDev +23.5%

Appearance: Very bright gold with a two-finger head.

Aroma: Bitter smell right off the bat. Spices and herbal quality shines through.

Taste: Again, bitter taste but also a good balance with a sweet honey-like quality. Favorite part about the taste is the herbal character and bitterness. Great aftertaste compared to other beers of this style. However, does not seem to fit in well with other tripel styles. I still like the taste, though.

Mouthfeel: Light mouthfeel, moderate carbonation. Very good.

Drinkability: Although it is not as comparable to other tripels, I still enjoy the drinkability of it and the earthy herbal qualities. This is something I would enjoy on a regular basis.

4.56/5  rDev +23.2%

I am now a full fledged Victory fan. I was a little worried about the name and the label, Golden Monkey ? The smell was very strong at the beginning then settled once in the glass. I noticed alot of citrus, fruity, oranges maybe. Poured a nice cloudy golden color. The head was nice a big and melted down the side of the glass, the taste was delicious. Alot of yeast, but very crisp, citrus, slightly sweet, but very drinkable. Unbelievably drinkable. 9.5 % ABV will sneek right by you. I can't wait to have another.

4.55/5  rDev +23%

This brew poured a beautiful cloudy, golden liquid. The aroma while pouring was very fruity. It formed a nice white head, probably half-an-inch thick.

The head quickly dissipated, but left a thin lace on the glass. The word to describe this tripel is "fruity". And I mean that in the best way possible. Any description of the taste of this brew should include the phrases "liquid bread", "yeasty", and "fruity" in it.

The yeast esters, maltiness, and hint of warming alcohol in this brew make this a wonderful example of the tripel style of beer. I will relish finishing off this six pack! What higher praise is there?

4.55/5  rDev +23%

Pours almost the color of a hazy BUD I hate to say.Very little head-nice lacing.Nice malty,sweet aroma-somewhat spicy but not too much.Great flavor I cant say enough about it.Citrusy-almost lemony.Malty with a nice lingering sweetness.Theres definately spices in there but they seem to swirl together with none in particular standing out on its own.Nowhere near as phenolic as some Belgian triples can be.Silky smooth mouthfeel-goes down dangerously easy.A great beer from Victory-most Ive had have been great actually.Nice to see an "American" version of a Belgian classic that is just fantastic.

4.55/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I really enjoy this beer, it has a higher ABV but who doesnt like that?

The taste is nice and smooth and a nice aroma to it.

I shared this with my girlfriend and even she gave it a 8/10

props to the golden monkey!

4.55/5  rDev +23%

This is my first review, hopefully I its not too bad.

The first time I had this beer I had it on tap at a local bar and enjoyed it very much. I am a huge fan of Belgian style ales and this one is favorite. Even with a high abv of 9.5 it is very easy to drink without having a strong alchol taste. The drinkability is great and its easy to drink more than one in a single sitting.

4.54/5  rDev +22.7%

This is a goofy beer. I started drinking this stuff about a year ago and it did me. Then the bad batch appeared. It was STANKONIA!!! I poured it out and tried again. STANKONIA again!!! I emailed those guys at Victory and told them. They emailed me back and apologized and said they were correcting the problem. I brought the beer back to Sam's (in Chicago) and they credited me (truly, Sam,'s is fair). So...now...I'm back to drinking this fool and it is worthy.
It's golden. The Head is not much.... but there. The lace is THERE! It's well intended. The truly interesting thing is its little stink. It's like perfume. Good perfume has a little rot in it. So does Golden Monkey. It tastes a little rotten too. It has a good mouthfeel. It's actually quite silky. I'll keep it on hand always unless I have tricks played on me and then I'll have to make the trip to Downington. Drink this beer.

4.54/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Banana and clove flavors in the aroma and taste. Not much in terms of "added spice". Yeast is dominant flavor. Not a huge flavor and no alcohol noted for a tripel with 8.7%

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - copper clear with 2 finger billow head of perfection. Carbonation is a violent storm rising through my glass that seems to have no end in site. Looks like an underwater volcano. 5 minutes without a sip and head retention is still holding steady at 2 fingers due to the continous carbonation explosion.

Smell - very spicy scents. Cinnamon perhaps?

Taste - Very complex taste. Warming sensation due to high alcohol but not the least bit boozy or burn going down. Smooth. Spices are noted in taste. Belgian hops are noted in taste and present slightly at the end for finish. Did I say how unbeliavably smooth this is for 9.5% beer?

Mouthfeel - Creamy head on lip, well bodied and pleasant

Overall - I think this is an incredibly well crafted beer and I think this is my first Tripel (have to check my profile though). Victory does it again! They are #1 brewer and this is another superb beer in their quiver.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Old Bay in New Brunswick, NJ and so good I had to come back a second time to sample it again and get a good review. They even served it in a Belgian glass like it should be.

Poured a golden yellow with a clover (light) honey tint with a thin head that fades fairly quickly. Small carbonation streams around the glass.

Aromas of a bready malt and some fruit. Hints of orange and honey, with faint whiffs of alcohol on the end of the nose.

The taste was amazing. Very rich and full of sweet malt. The monkey starts with a candied malt sweetness, that leads to some honey and coriander flavors then to a slightly spicey malt. The finish is a nice balance of hops and spice that are ever so slight, but create great balance. The alcohol kick is a bit high, but not overwhelming. Medium body with Medium-high carbonation that has champaigne like bubbles. Drinkability is very, very high but the high alcohol content would make you want to limit the number you had.

Great beer and thanks Gavage for the recommendation!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This bottle was brewed on may 4th 2004. It has aged really nice in my opinion. It pours a hazy dark yellow and has a nice white head and lot's of yeast floaties. The aroma is very sweet and fruity and the yeast imparts a nuttiness. The taste is very sweet upfront and then the alcohol tries hard to overcome the nutty, fruity flavors. The mouthfeel is very full like any good tripel. This is one of the best tripels I have ever had. Kudos to Victory for brewing this winner.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is my reserve beer. Strong and bold enough to remind me that I'm drinking a good beer, but missing the subtle flavors of my favorites.

4.52/5  rDev +22.2%

This was another great example of how much Victory rocks. This was the best American shot at a Belgian tripel without putting any yeast in the bottle. It was right up there with the best of them. Smooth, sweet, balanced, bold, and it sure packs a punch. Great job Victory. You are maintaining a great standard with me.

4.52/5  rDev +22.2%

A bright white head that doesn’t stick around for the finish. This clear bright pale brew has a nose to excite the taste buds. The spicy aroma pulls you in. The taste is as bright as the color. Spices abound and delicately balance out the alcohol that has the potential to do damage when you’re not expecting it. This beer is DANGEROUS, it can easily become a session beer and at 9.5% it will floor you. Dangerously good!

4.52/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Medium golden body, pretty clear-not too much visable sediment.

Deep floral, hoppy, herbal, scent

Lovely intense golden, malty,yeasty body. Incredible earty, floral notes,quite intense--- but it is a tripel sooo i supposed you'd expect that :p

Crisp and refreshing sipping

Really great beer,enjoyed this so much, can't wait to have it again!

First Had: May 27th 2013

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

This is the one that put us over the top and into the clouds. This fine American interpretation of the quintessential Belgian abbey style was one of the heaviest hitters in our tasting. Our fine local (Monty's Krown Lounge, Rochester, NY) served up a legendary assortment of Victory selections for us, and they were all wonderful.

The color was a spot on deep gold, little to no aroma, stiff malt backbone with delicately balanced hopping, a bit of cloviness, plus a significant (but not overbearing) alcohol contribution that just made you want to dance. Drink my monkey.

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

Pale -yellow orange color. Not too much head.
Citrussy, alcohol aroma (grapefruit?). Fantastic deep, rich, complex belgian taste.
Light carbonic mouthfeel. Sweet hint of candy sugar.
Even leaves some nice lace on the glass. Overall very good replication of the style.

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

One of the few micros that I have had in the bottle that was better than the tap version. The golden hazy color of the bottled version is equal to the draft with a little less head, but just as much lacing. The aroma is superb when you first uncap the bottle. There is a hoppy, citrusy smell that is very enticing. It does have an alcohol aroma with its ABV being over 10%.

The taste of the bottled Monkey is really quite extraordinary. It is remindful of some of the better Belgians such as Kwak. I tasted the hoppy nature of this right away but then there is a wheaty undertone, which could as easily be a different variety of barley. The underflavors are citrus, and possibly cardamon. It is very rich in the mouth with the ability to make you want to savor it longer than is necessary to drink it.

In total, I find that Victory has not over-hyped this beer. I think it has not gotten enough press. The taste is almost addictive. At least, I hate to think that I'm coming back just for the high alcohol content. But no, it really is the definition of drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

I have had quite a few tripels over the years. For the price and the taste you can't beat this. Sweet yet sour. You can be tricked into drinking more of these than you should.

They go down smooth and very quenching.

Very similar in taste to Piraat or Moinette.

This is one beer which is always on my to buy list. It many ways reminds me of the Degarre in Bruges.

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

I just picked up a 4-pack of Victory's DirtWolf IIPA only to find that someone had swapped one with a Golden Monkey. This was my first time trying Victory. Based on the reviews, I didn't have much expectation. However, I am very pleasantly surprised. This beer is incredibly balanced for being 9.5% in my opinion. Some reviewers are saying that it tastes very strong, I didn't find that to be the case at all. Sweet and creamy tripel. Paired incredibly well with spicy food.

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

Appearance- beautiful thick thick foam white head such great retention so pretty, great yellow golden color with high carbonation as bubbles stream up the glass,

Smell- sweet, spicey, sugar malts, yeast and even slight hops a full boquet of aromatic smells, very nice smell, apples peaches,

Taste- very smooth, great after taste, slightly sweet, slightly spicey, apples , yeast peaches, great full flavor, very sweet and warming, nice flavor for sure

Mouthfeel- thick creamy and syrupy, very full thick feel

Drinkability- scarily drink able and delicious, long crispy refreshing finish, alcohol is extremely hidden and the beer is fine american example of the style, a good beer and one that i will definitely be trying again, great value for the price check it out

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

I love the taste of the exotic spices and they give off a pleasant aroma. Plus, being 9% ABV doesn't hurt!

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company