Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Golden MonkeyGolden Monkey

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,705 | Hads: 5,160
3.99/5  rDev +7.5%

Solid tripel, crisp and balanced. Nice golden color and thick white head. Grape on the nose, yeasty. Good mouthfeel, nice carbonation, refreshing. the 9.5abv well covered. I enjoyed this overall.

3.74/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had a 1/6 of this at a birthday party a few years back. Amazing but forgot to warn people of the abv. Things got a little crazy that night. So drinkable and delicious!

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%

I like a good triple and I was excited to try this.

One word, disappointed. Some more words, I paid $13 for a 6pk of the Golden Monkey and that's where my grind comes in. At that price I was expecting some kind of golden enlightenment but all I got was wallet lightened.

There are better, cheaper triples out there, go find em'.

4.75/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company. Poured from the caged cork bottle into a tulip glass, this beer's head is four fingers thick with lacing, and a body.

Smells like white wine, straight up! Crisp, lively, and delicate. Yet still enough to keep you wanting to experience what this tastes like. Excelsior!

I taste,ding, right answer : that of white wine. But also alongside a fruitier, dare I say apple-like note in the backbone of this drink's malt profile. Can't really detect much hops unless they are playing a part in the wine-esque dryness of this.

This brew's mouthfeel is dry and crisp. Literally no aftertaste or settling on the palate. Very well done here!

Overall, I'll give Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company a 4.75. This would be damned perfect if the wine was a just a hair more profound, but I can certainly dig this. Even though I'm reviewing this in the winter, this brew would really hit the spot on a spring or even summer night. I recommend this beer and will pick it up again.

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Smooth. Not too hoppy. Hint of spice. A slight taste of vanilla in first drink, though it's not overwhelming and goes away after first drink. Aftertaste is minimal. Not outstanding but worth a 6 pack.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours cloudy yellow gold color with a 2 finger foamy snow white head that faded slowly leaving very good lacing coating the sides.

Smells of banana, yeast, pepper and other spices like coriander, lemon zest, orange peel, grass, flowers, honey and some light funk. Some earthy notes mixed in with the spices and a slight resemblance to barnyard funk or some wet animal hair.

Taste has more fruity notes up front with sour apple, white grapes and rotting pear in addition to the lemon, orange peel, banana and kiss of red grapefruit. The funk is mild with the yeast, grains, wheat bread and dry cracker mixing with the fruits and spices like pepper, coriander, brown sugar and cinnamon or light cumin. There are also some traces of honey and clover or garlic, which gives this a Belgian feel but also makes it kind of confusing. I’ve been drinking this beer for about 10 years and always find it enjoyable, but not great as far as the flavor goes.

Mouthfeel is smooth and silky, with mild spritzy carbonation, a medium body and a slightly bitter finish that is sweet and on the drier side. A good beer that is middle of the road for the style, but always nice to have around since Victory is only a few hours from NY so this beer is always fresh and available.

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I liked the golden color. Not much head. Nice spicey, belgian smell. Taste was quite of a decent belgian. Have always enjoyed this one from the first time I had it.

2.48/5  rDev -33.2%

I generally like Victory brews. This one I did not. I felt the color was not appealing, the mouth feel watery and taste of bitterness did not sit well with me. I am not sure what it is but the bitter after taste over powered the experience of this brew for me.

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

There is a strong banana aroma and flavor, not surprising Ina Tripel. The spices that were added are rather overwhelmed. Mouthfeel is nice, not as thick as expected.

3.82/5  rDev +3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours with a small white head. Is golden in color and very murky. Has a sweet ale aroma with a hint of spice. Has a mild cirtus flavor that balances well with the added spices.

2.45/5  rDev -34%

I had to give this a second chance. I still found it challenging to consume. Maybe good for you, but not for me. My brother, who lives near the Victory brewery thinks this stuff is awesome. I beg to differ. I'd rather have a Labatt Blue, and I Like craft beers, and I love all of the Tripels that I've had EXCEPT this.

4.01/5  rDev +8.1%

A basic Tripel that packs a punch. My favorite thing about it is that I can find Victorys Golden Monkey just about anywhere which makes it my go to Tripel.

3.43/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Format: a half-pint amongst others at The Scratch in Milton, Brisbane.

Appearance: pours a vibrant amber with limited fine carbonation. A 1.5 finger off-white head drops slowly to a thin ring.

Aroma: obvious and powerful Belgian yeasts up front with some sweet wheat.

Taste: very sweet toffee malts up front with those wheat and yeast qualities behind. Quite nice, but the sweetness is far too intense.

Aftertaste: and the sweetness lingers for quite a time, becoming a little cloying.

Mouth feel: a medium body with moderate carbonation. Pretty easy drinking other than that massive sweetness.

Overall: not a bad tripel, but far too sweet for my liking. I was surprised to discover that it is at least AU$120 a case - no way in the world.

3.42/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Floral up front followed by a prickly spice and bready notes with yeasty flavors. Lots of warming alcohol on this one that takes away from the rest of what this brew has going for it. Never the less, this is a nice sipper on a cold evening like tonight. Cheers!

3.62/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I'm not sure what they put in this, but it gave me hives. I've never had an allergic reaction before. The beer was so fantastic, however, that I finished the last pint before having my girl friend drive up to Walgreens to get me some benadryl.

3.99/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a La Fin Du Monde tulip glass.

The color is a slightly hazy yellow/gold with two fingers of foamy white and some nice thick lacing left on the glass.

The smell is a little boozy with a good Belgian candy aroma. There is sweetness here with some slightly funky Brett aroma with a dry grape aroma as well.

The taste is filled with an earthy malt backbone that is present throughout. There is a nice mashed banana flavor that wrestles with a sweetness that appears with some grape skin flavor.

The feel of this beer is medium bodied with a smooth drinkable feel. There is a great warming feel that helps ease down and leaves pleasant aftertaste that gives off a slight sweetness before dissipating.

4.15/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

BB date of Oct 2017, 12 oz pour into std pint glass. Clear medium gold color with nice medium carbonation. Not much head retention and minimal lacing. Spicy Belgian aroma. Flavor is classic Belgian but with a finish of apricots and cinnamon. I think the mouthfeel is a little light but I still think that the alcohol is well-hidden. If you are a serious student of Belgian triples, this beer may disappoint. For the rest of us, it is a delightful entry to the genre and very enjoyable. Victory does a great job overall.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Does in fact pour an elegant gold. Well carbonated, strong head that dies down fairly quickly. Some persistent lacing. Small amount of sediment. Med-heavy bodied with an alcoholicy backbone (no surprise with and ABV of 9.5%). Aroma is of belgian spiciness, yeasty and citrusy. Flavor is that plus the alchy backbone. Lingering alchy warmth and subtle bitterness. Decent tripel. Like all tripels, it's one and done. 3.75.

2.92/5  rDev -21.3%

I've never understood the mass appeal of this beer in the Philly area. It's bitter as hell, it's so strong that you can't even enjoy drinking more than one of them, and it smells like pine-sol.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a nice clear golden color with a bit of a white head. Considerable amount of bubbles in it.

Smell is yeast, citrus fruit, and spice, mainly pepper.

Taste is fruity, bit of orange and lemon. There is also a bit of Belgian yeast funk and a hint of pepper on the finish.

Feel is ok, about average for the style.

Basically an average triple, nothing really stands out, but is still decent. I think it could use a bit more complexity, the funky flavors tend to overwhelm a bit, would like to see more fruit and pepper. Not a bad beer, just not a great one.

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Good solid tripel, but the alcohol burns from the get-go. Lots of spice in the mix, and a good medium weight body carries it all off in terms of quite big flavours, but the surprsiing thing is how well it goes down on a hot summer night.
A contradiction of a beer :-)

3.79/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a light orange color with a thin white bubbly head that quickly recedes. No lacing. Lots of visible carbonation.. Aroma is of fruit, yeast and spices. Yeast is a little overbearing. A lot more yeast in the taste. Followed by bready malts. A good deal of fruitiness, with no particular flavor standing out. Fruit lingers on the tongue quite a bit, playing nicely with the yeast. Didn't care for the taste much at first, but it grew on me as it warmed. Medium bodied. Carbonation isn't as heavy as it had appeared after pour. A surprisingly easy drinker for 9.5%. Although I am not particularly well versed in Tripels, I was expecting a bit more from this one. Still a solid beer, but not a must have.

3.77/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

First offering from Victory and this one was a good way to start with them. Although I wasn't overly impressed with the brew out of the bottle - it didn't appear particularly distinctive to me, and it did have a weak head, there was real nice lacing down the glass. The scent put out was okay, hints of citrus with a feel that was very bold and inviting - crisp really, making it easy to chug (if you weren't careful.) Overall I consider it very good and look forward to trying more from this brewer.

4.75/5  rDev +28%

This might be my favorite beer usually available. I've shown it to a couple friends who've had it become one of their go to beers. I literally can not say enough good things about this beer, you just need to go try it for yourself to understand

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

Mild smell, solid body, taste varied with temperature. I sense a funky tart aftertaste that I feel is a result of the high alcohol content. I prefer this beer at ~65 degrees f.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company