Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,718 | Hads: 5,214
4.12/5  rDev +11.1%

A: Pours a pleasing pale golden straw color with a moderate head. There is more retention then expected for a tripel.

S: Fruit aromas are the most dominant aspect, but there is an attractive complexity which includes an alcohol spiciness and yeasty essence.

T: A delectable spicy fruit zest paints the palate. The spicy aspect produced by the alcohol works excellently with the fruity banana clove flavor.

M: A bold carbonation does well to administer the flavors and gives the spice flavor a little more snap. Astonishingly, the alcohol does not come across as a burn like most high ABV brews.

O: The combination of an enjoyable taste and lack of alcohol burn makes this beer relatively easy to drink, so remember to proceed with caution. Victory is one of my favorite breweries and this is one of my choice beers when available. This is a refreshing tripel at an affordable price.

2.72/5  rDev -26.7%

Pours straw clear with some sediment flecks quickly dissapaiting head, little bit of lacing as it goes down. Taste is banana and kind of a yeast funk and alcohol. Has kind of a homebrew yeast taste. I was hoping for something better from this brewery and style.

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

I just picked up a 4-pack of Victory's DirtWolf IIPA only to find that someone had swapped one with a Golden Monkey. This was my first time trying Victory. Based on the reviews, I didn't have much expectation. However, I am very pleasantly surprised. This beer is incredibly balanced for being 9.5% in my opinion. Some reviewers are saying that it tastes very strong, I didn't find that to be the case at all. Sweet and creamy tripel. Paired incredibly well with spicy food.

poured into a chimay goblet. pours a hazy almost straw like color with sediment floating around and carbonation streaming from the bottom.smells fairly floral with bready and caramel notes. taste and mouthfeel - fairly medium to full body with some bitter hops up front and bready almost funky maltiness. overall a middle of the road tripel that would be alright for newbies to the style to try, but if you've had any of the belgian ones like westmalle, chmay white, or a ton of others it definently doesn't hold a candle. not half as complex as those.

4.09/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is a nice afterwork relaxer.

I poured it from a bottle into a pint glass.

appearance: honey gold with some light flakey sediment. Large bubbled 1/4 in head goes away in a minute or two.

smell: A little bit of peach cobbler. Fleshy fruit and white bread.

Taste: Very peachy with a bit of nut skin bitterness. Nicely balanced sweet v bitter. Kind of like what I always want sweet tea to be.... The high alcohol does start to come out on the finish... but it stays in your mouth with out starting to burn your nose... more of a brandy than a whiskey...

mouthfeel: It's a bit thin for a belgian... the carbonation seems more "fizzy" than "velvety". Not a deal breaker by any means, but worth noting.

overall: a really nice, easy to find, reasonably priced beer that will not disappoint

comments: After reading other reviews I dug my bottle out of the recycling.... mine doesn't have a drink by date....

4.34/5  rDev +17%

first of all this is one of my favorite beers. huge flavor and lots of kick due to the high ABV. always worth your money.

pours with alot of head. i always get bottles and have found the head to be lighter compared to draft. this could be due to the goblet they pour into at the brewpub. hazey gold in color. appears to be a bright yellow around the edges but a deep golden orange in the center, almost like it's glowing. slight carbonation but not overactive like a seltzer.

smells unlike any typical beer. typical for a tripel i'm guessing, this is my first. lots of fruit hits the palette. hints of citrus and possibly banana?

very sweet when it first hits your mouth. sweetness quickly dissipates into a more flat dry taste. aftertaste is long and lingering with an almagomation of all the clues given in it's smell and taste.

feels a touch heavy. almost like a thin syrup much akin to guinness or a bods but is much easier to move around. slight crunchiness to it as well.

after your first bottle you'll feel very warm and possibly light headed. if you've drank high ABV beers before the effects of the alchohol should be nothing but warming. i consider this a big beer because of it's high ABV and the richness of it's flavor. if you're new to belgian ales this would be a good introduction to the style. very easy drink.

3.92/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured into my Westmalle chalice.

A: Dark golden, hazy, perhaps a bit darker than typical for the style. While foamy head that dissipates quickly.

S: Tart/funky yeastiness, spice. A good bit of alcohol in the nose and a nice, slightly skunky hop twang.

T: On the sweeter side. Plenty of spice, as indicated on the label. Cloves? Coriander? Pale malt, champagne. Understated (though definitely present) hoppiness. The beer definitely opens up a good bit as it comes to room temperature.

M: Medium body, crisp. Medium carbonation. About par for the course for a tripel, in my opinion.

D: At 9.5% ABV, the alcohol is pretty well hidden in this brew. Pretty drinkable for a tripel, but probably a bit too strong to be a session brew for me.

This is a nice tripel, even if it isn't the most traditional interpretation of the style. A nice offering from one of my favorite breweries on the east coast.

4.23/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a 750 ml at Costco in Indy for around $6. I wasn't expecting much but really enjoyed it. Just a tick below La Fin du Monde and a great beer for the price.

3.77/5  rDev +1.6%

Serving temperature: 48F Glassware: One out of a chalice, one out of a tulip over the same session.

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle with Victory "V" and a six legged gold monkey on the front. Info. about the beer and bottled on date clear on the bottle.

Appearance: Very light copper with thin white head, poor lacing except in a tulip where the head initally billowed to ~3". Tiny bubbles observed making their way to the surface through somewhat murky liquid.

Smell: Light alcohol smell with a distinct breadiness & pungent spice aroma backing it. Orange peel? Maybe..

Taste: Yeasty backbone contributing complex spiciness of coriander, anise.. Unfortunately, that's where the complexity ends. Closes out with an easily identifiable bready taste turning into a sweet and slightly tart aftertaste. Alcoholic notes perk up throughout, although hidden pretty well.

Mouthfeel: Lighter carbonation & a slick, yet full-bodied mouthfeel make this brew go down pretty well. No stickiness after swallowing here, although the taste lingers a bit long.

Drinkability: See above- Not a real complex brew, especially within the style, but one I look forward to drinking regardless. Well hidden ABV of 9.5%.

End notes: Dissapointed with this brew. Victory is capable of so much better, I expected this to knock my socks off like all of their other offerings I've had so far- That's not to detract froim a solid brew, however. Just lacking that extra something.

4.47/5  rDev +20.5%

Poring a glass of golden, cloudy sunshine, I watch the yeasty sediment dance to the rhythm of the fading bubbly white head.

Inhaling an orchard of fruity tones and warm spices makes my mouth begin to water. I can’t wait to taste this exotic smelling brew.

A rich, chewy mouth feel confirms my expectations of a warming, delicately spiced drink. Is there a presence of sweet honey or wheat? Is there a teasing clove in there? These questions fade as I take another mouthful and smile as the warm alcohol falls down my throat and leaves a lingering hint of sweet maltiness and satisfying hops.

I love this beer.

1.45/5  rDev -60.9%

This was deffinetly not my style. After seeing other reviews I thought this would be a great beer. I was wrong this missed the mark for me on many levels. I thought the smell was not good and the taste was an assult on my taste buds. Again I am only giving my opinion and yes they are like A- holes we all have one and the usually stink. I think I would not like to have another one of these beers again. My friend thinks this beer is great. His taste buds must be off : ) If you are a fan of Trippels you may like this. I haven't gotten to that level yet. However I do like Quads.

3.92/5  rDev +5.7%

This is a solid, though not great Belgian. It has a nice dark amber color and a reasonably spicy fragrance. The flavor is nice, though not as good as some of the imports I've had. Fortunately, there is little of Victory's signature "hops mania" in the flavor. I like hops, a lot, but not too much in a Belgian. Victory has a tendency to go overboard with hops even in beer styles that generally don't warrant it.

Overall, this beer is not a favorite of mine, but it is enjoyable and I would gladly drink a couple every now and then.

3.32/5  rDev -10.5%

A-Nice, hazy golden yellow color with an average fluffy head.

S-This being my first foray into this type of beer, the smell took me by surprise. Sort of a flowery, spicy aroma hit, followed by a fruity hop smell.

T-Starts with a slightly sweet malt taste, which gives way to a spicy, fruity taste. Then it leaves off with just a hint of bitter hops, and a bit of alcohol.

M-Nice medium body which has a nice dry feel.

D-Not exactly the smoothest drinker, its not that bad either. You can tell its a bit higher in ABV.

3.94/5  rDev +6.2%

*12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.*

a: the beer is golden yellow with lots of sediment suspended throughout. it also has lots of head, but it dies off quickly.

s: it smells sweet, flowery, citrusry, spicy...

t: immediately, the beer is sweet and fruity-tasting. the finish is slightly bready and bitter. it's a good combination of a lot of subtle flavors.

m: medium-bodied, a good amount of carbonation.

d: this is incredibly drinkable for a beer with 9.5% abv.

I bought a six pack of this purely on a whim because I wanted to try a tripel. I left completely blown away and though I'm saving the last one for a bit of an occasion I cannot wait to buy another. This is the beer that got me into tripels which may now be one of my favorite styles of beer. In my experience, the following are the main characteristics of this excellence in a glass that Victory have made.

Pour- A lovely orange-gold color with about a finger or two of creamy and ever-so-slightly off-white froth for a head

Smell- A strong aroma which reminds me of good bread with sweet hints of assorted fruits given to it by the yeast (I'm a microbiologist, so it is very nice to smell what yeasts are like when not cultured on a laboratory growth medium)

Taste- It is worth noting that when I try a new beer, the first sip is always the best though the rest of the bottle isn't as good as the subsequent ones. This one hit me right from the get go with its rich malt flavor and the very broad array of other flavors brought to it by the spices and yeast. Altogether it tastes a bit like the world's best hot cross bun, bready malts and dark fruits all over with spices in the finish and an alcoholic whollop which is strong yet somehow subdued.

Mouth Feel- Miller High Life calls itself the "Champagne of Beers." If it's got half the carbonation as Golden Monkey I'll eat my hat.

Altogether this is easily one of my overall favorite beers. Drinking one is an occasion in and of itself as it tastes a bit like dessert and is the alcohol content equivalent of two or so "normal" beers. To the guys at victory, keep up the good work. Cheers.

2.95/5  rDev -20.5%

The very first beer of the Winking Lizard 2009 World Tour. Enjoyed at the Gateway location with a good friend.

Pulled from the well into a tulip. A crisp, shimmery golden pour with a quaint head.

A soft, whispy aroma of banana, apricot with a touch of warm, citrusy coriander. Could be a little more pronounced for my tastes, but pleasing none the less.

Following suit, the taste is a delicate citrus fruit and spice. The slight effervescence gives a slightly medium body to the beer, just enough to let you down.

Drinkable, subtle at 9.5%

For a triple, it almost delivers. Not a bad beer, but can do a lot better in the triple family.

3.7/5  rDev -0.3%

I was about to grab some Victory Hop Devil and switched gears and bought this.

This is a solid Belgium style beer, just not in the top 5 or anything for me.

The smell is faint for this style but is of citrus and yeast.

The first thing you notice when you sip it is the sparkle on the tounge, then you get an unexpected taste of alcohol and then a lemony grapefruity tase.

You can feel the result of the alcohol before your end of the first one. But that is not what takes away from the drinkibility; it is the alcohol aftertaste.

But I am a big fan of Victory, and these American made Belgiums are neat because they haven't had to journey as far.

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Cloudy, very pale yellow. Very thin head. Bubbles keep moving straight up in small lines like it's some sort of science experiment.

S: A little bit of alcohol. Lots of fruit.

T: Spicy fruit, lemon and orange. Subtle sweetness giving way to a dry grain finish. The taste lingers on its way out, and never gets unpleasant. Even at 9.5% ABV I can't find the alcohol in this one unless I really try.

M: Plenty of carbonation to perk up this smooth, medium drink. The spice really likes to linger on the palate.

D: Too much ABV to drink all night, but drinkable enough to drink more than you probably should.

4.09/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This was one of the first craft beers that took me by surprise when I was just getting into microbrews and craft breweries. I'd never had something quite like it, the spice and fruit tones were unknown to me at the time and it became one of my go-to beers.

Recently I got a 22oz bomber that was dated March 28 2012. It should have been fine, but it was apparently directly in front of a light in the display case, and even through the brown bottle it was skunked to all hell. Thankfully a FRESH six pack just came in and I nabbed it. Please redeem this beer, oh Beer Gods.

12oz bottle poured somewhat aggressively into a Duvel glass.

A: A stunning orange-yellow (more orange when the glass is full, more yellow when it's nearly done) with an okay finger and a half/two finger rocky head, which sadly disappears in just a few moments. Virtually no lacing.

S: Yeast, spice and fruit. YUM. A sweet bready aroma, like a really light fruitcake studded with dried fruit and doused in spices. A touch of alcohol when it's cold, not so bad when it's warm for some reason.

T: Spicy yeast, a cinnamon note somewhere in the middle, dried green grapes and a finish of unripe banana. Rather tart and astringent.

M: Initially fairly wet and refreshing, but it eventually leaves your tongue dry and cracked like a desert, dying for another sip. A little tightness in the cheeks from the astringency, not unlike a fairly tart, dry white wine.

O: There's a reason this is one of the beers that really got me into crafts. It's delicious when fresh, but beware, check your bottle dates before you leave the store and if it's a little old then grab from the back of the cooler. It should age a bit better, I hope.

3.99/5  rDev +7.5%

Solid tripel, crisp and balanced. Nice golden color and thick white head. Grape on the nose, yeasty. Good mouthfeel, nice carbonation, refreshing. the 9.5abv well covered. I enjoyed this overall.

3.95/5  rDev +6.5%

750ml corked bottle
Nov. 30. 2004 bottled

Cloudy golden brew w/ a huge white head. To the nose I didnt get to much except some sweetness and malt. As I tiped the glass back to take a sip the white head took a minute to get though. With my nose covered in this beautiful head i finally got to the good stuff. WOW! Loads of malt. Tons of sweetness, with a apricot middle. The finish is warming with a fade of apricot then it returns quickly to the nose. A great brew despite the week smell and appearance. This was my first tripel and was deeply impressed.

4.13/5  rDev +11.3%

Fantastic brew! Okay. Is this the BEST Tripel out there? No. Of course not. The trapists and other Belgian brewers have them beat hands-down. But let's look at all aspects of this beer. First off, it comes in a six-pack. Can the best-of-the-best tripel brewers say that? Not so much. Next, look at the ABV. 9.5%. Quite impressive for a six-pack beer. Now as under-rated as this topic is, you have to look at price. At $8.50 per six pack (at my local liquor store), that brings the price down to about $1.42 per 12 oz bottle. Now add that all up. A delicious Belgian tripel at 9.5% for $1.42 per 12 oz bottle? Are you kidding? What's not to love about this beer? This one wins my all around drinkability award. Wonderful stuff.

3.3/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a golden yellow with a moderate head, pretty similar to a standard Belgian tripel. There is some obvious carbonation to it.

The smell is fruity and spicy and has a little alcohol in it. Up to this point there is very little complexity in either the sight or the smell of the thing. Actually I thought the smell was a little funky and not very pleasant.

I didn't find the taste particularly pleasant either. It's very light tasting, with nothing overpowering, with mild hints of the scents: fruit, spice, especially citrus-y in the fruit department, and I can taste the alcohol more than other reviewers have said.

Overall I don't think the Golden Monkey is really worth drinking with the ABV. I usually like Victory's beer, but I really haven't liked drinking the it in the three or four times that I've had it.

3.89/5  rDev +4.9%

Victory - Golden Monkey

Appearance: Honey color with slight chill haze. An aggressive pour almost lead to disaster. Five fingers of head, with some nearly on the table.

Aroma: Yeast fruitiness predominates. Some malt sweetness and a hint of alcohol as the beer warms.

Taste: Belgian yeast flavors take center stage. Fruit, spice, and hints of banana. Malt sweetness from beginning to end. Little to no hop flavor detected.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied beer with very high carbonation. Pour gently or risk disaster.

Overall: This is a fruity sweet beer, well within style. This would beer the perfect beer to pair with desert.

4.01/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had a friend hand me a bottle of this at a social gathering last week. I didn't have any way to take down some tasting notes so I don't have much to add other than I really liked the beer. Definately a strong belgian ale. If you like these types of beers, I suggest you try this one. Complex flavors that work together to make good beer.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company