Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 09-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Monkey Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +22%

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

BryanK, Aug 10, 2012

Brinks, Mar 12, 2014
4.58/5  rDev +24.1%

The most amazing part of this beer is the smell; almost cinnamon and dry fruit (on a sidenote..my wife has a candle that smells exactly the same..it's called Kitchen Spice). Pours a cloudy golden color.
Tastes spicy (not hot) with a lingering sense of wheat. I enjoyed this beer over a reuben sandwich and it complimented the spicy pastrami very well.

JohnnyM2002, May 22, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

12oz bottle to tulip. Clear orange body w tons of bubbles capped by one finger white head. Sticky and inviting. Nose is of Belgian yeast, sweet stone fruit, and a touch of pepper corn. Flavor is similar. Clean finish, not cloying. High alcohol is well masked.

clickpush, May 23, 2011

Jmick28, May 22, 2012

Syraquse, Saturday at 05:12 PM

KMcG, Dec 23, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -35%

I know that I am going to be way out there compared to others reviewing this beer, but in my opinion it was just way too "busy." So that disclaimer being thrown out there for the low score here is what else I have to say.

Cloudy gold in color with no real head to speak of when I poured it into a pint glass. It is brewed with spices as proclaimed by the brewers. This is obvious through the nose and the flavor. The nose has a character like a milder version of a winter warmer. The attack is thick and malty. The flavor is ripe with cloves and spices. The finish is very confusing as there are myriad flavors swirling around and seemingly intertwining with components of the mouthfeel. Some probably hail the beer as "complex" and I just can't help but feel it is too busy. Most brewers I prefer the bigger and bolder offerings, but as for Victory I do recall being a fan of the Hop devil and Victory pils which means they go completely against the grain for me. While I am not disappointed to have tried this beer, I will not buy it again. As a matter of fact I have been pawning them off on guests because I don't care to drink the other 5. I feel like Simon Cowell. . . sorry.

Ragingbull, May 04, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

PaulsBrew, Mar 09, 2013
4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

The only beer similiar to this i have tried was la fin du monde. I enjoy this much more, du monde is way too sweet and while the taste of this brew does have sweet properties they are balanced with the other more subtle flavors which are mellow spices and malts. I had a long day today-4 classes, work, a mid term, and a paper due. This has relaxed me nicely and im only half way through with it. I am a huge victory fan and i see this as yet another winner
drink up!

allboutbierge, Oct 21, 2002
3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance: Golden and clear. Vigorous bubbling action. White head that holds for a stitch in time.

Smell: White grapes and spice at first waft. Smells fresh and clean. Yeast character shows up amidst the fruitiness.

Taste: Sweet and fruity. Good proportion of spiciness to accompany the sweet base. Spices are not over the edge, but hang on the cusp. Flirting with my limits. There is a bit of sweet and sour in the finish that makes me thirst for another pull. Juicy and refreshing I guess I could say. The yeast lends some flavour to the brew without imparting any distasteful results. Mostly a sweet concoction.

Mouthfeel: Light. Refreshing. Goes down with relative ease.

Drinkability: Good. Another one of those undercover wolves that has the potential to do a number on an unsuspecting drinker. I cannot detect any alcohol presence in any aspect. Could be dangerous. Overall a good show, although I can't think of a time when I would want to drink this.

SupaCelt, May 16, 2005
3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

pours a hazy straw color with a slight lacy head.

aroma is a little skunky, sweet, slight spice.

the flavor is great fruity, spicy, hopsack, carmelized sugar.

the mouthfeel is a little watery but that is to style.

beer is very drinkable can be enjoyed or a cold night or a hot day,

plaztikjezuz, Jan 11, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

I've had this beer on tap and in the bottle. And both times I've thought the same thing: Duvel.
This is the best Duvel clone I've ever tasted. The only variance is a slightly thicker and spicier mouthfeel. Other than that, I's a toss-up. I'd drink either -- or both!

And I like Duvel. Much like Duvel.
So when I'm feeling like a Duvel and want to give my money to an American brewer, I buy a Golden Monkey. The triple do you good.

...and this is my "monkey tale"

DaveFL1976, Jul 27, 2006