Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Reviews: 2,459 | Hads: 7,011
Reviews by Bobheed:
3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

12oz brown bottle with a very cool label ... it's a devil face made out of hop leaves.

Appearance: Hazy orange/copper beer with a patchy cream off-white foam head that clings to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Very pronounced grapefruit hop aromas, spicy with background sweet malts and a faint bready grain aroma.

Taste: Whoa! This is one bold, dangerous and outrageous beer! Mouthfeel is ultra-smooth and creamy with a malty thick full-body. The initial taste is an absolute hop assualt on the palate! A spicy, stinging and salty plethora of citric nuances literally overwhelm the senses. Earth, leaf and grass flavours pull-thru, then are followed by an alcohol presence and spiciness. The malt in this beer is definately present but gets its ass fiercly kicked by the hops. Malt includes some toasted, slightly bready and light honey flavours with an even malt sweetness. It hardly balances the beer, but does keep it somewhat control. Beer finishes with residual hop spice and malt sweetness, which tends to linger for some time.

Notes: This is a very hyped-up beer, and it should be as it is an absolutely marvelous beer for all the hop-heads out there, albeit very daunting for those who are not into hops to the extreme. For what it is, it's crafted to near perfection. A "Wow!" beer for sure. 6.7 % abv.

4.66/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As a hop head it crazy that I have not tried this brew! What a nice surprise. Poured out of a bottle a nice amberish color with little head. Smell was floral with apricot, slight banana, and pine. Taste was a blast of hops! It dissipates giving way to a citrus and apricot hint and finishing with just a hint of pine. The hoppy taste lingers for a bit after the finish. A must try for hop heads!

Cask conditioned Hop Devil is the best beer that I have ever tasted. It is liquid crack. After I tasted it, I went out and bought a Angram Beer engine so that I could have it at home. The smell is a perfect aroma of fresh hops. Beyond the taste and smell , the color is phenomenal. I loved it so much that I had the Sikkens paint company (manufacturer of Mercedes paint) color match it with their spectrophotometer device to perfectly match a gallon of paint for my bike. The best.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

A bit dryer and crisper than on-tap, the clarity is a shade clearer but still hazy with a frothy sticky head. Quite aromatic with lots of semi-coarse hop, lightly toasted grain alcoholic esters. The flavour is a mirror image of the aroma with lots of hops in the bitterness and flavour. I prefer it on draft though, probably because I usually drink it our of a 32oz mug at Bukowski’s Tavern.

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: It pours brilliant amber under a 1” off-white foam collar that dissipates to a thick film. S: Citrusy grassy hops with some biscuit aromas rise form the glass. T: Rich hoppy palate with spices that suggest oregano season a biscuit malt backbone. F: Creamy medium body and carbonation. O: An outstanding American IPA.

4.71/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This may be THE classic American IPA (at least for us East Coasters). Big hops in your nose and rolling across your tongue, but a nice malty backbone to support it. It's closing in on 20 years since I drank my first bottle of Hop Devil and crowned it the best India Pale Ale I'd ever had, and it remains one of my favorite IPAs still today.

4.16/5  rDev +2.2%

L -- Pours copper with a small off-white head that quickly fizzles out. No lacing on this pour.

S -- Immediate, bold grapefruit scent, along with a minute lemon zest ending, right after pouring. Develops into a more balanced hop aroma with resin joining the fray. There's a minor sweetness to it as well that adds complexity to the hops.

T -- Flavor very much follows the aroma: grapefruit, pine, with a strong bitterness to go along with it. The end notes are very much resiny, but the sweetness from the aroma melds with it to lessen the overall bitter-blow. The malts add a bready component, sorta like a tasty honey-nut flavored loaf, plus some minor caramel notes.

F -- Medium body, crisp, refreshing: very drinkable. I'll actually call it full-bodied for an IPA as the more I drink it, the "richer" it starts to feel in my life. It leaves a fairly dry palate and the bitterness leaves a light zing on the tongue.

O -- A very good beer. It's a great east coast IPA example, with plenty of hops and a solid malt backbone to go with it. I'd be happy to have this in the fridge all the time.

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: [3.75] Beer has a nice caramel color. Very minimal head formation. Bottle lists ABV (6.7%) and best by (02/23/15).

S: [3.00] I get sweet notes like caramel. Not what I was expecting for an IPA. Nothing aggressive like pine or citrus.

T: [2.75] The taste is mostly malt. There are no hops present at all. There is a sweet mild caramel flavor. There might be a hint of bubble gum on teh finish.

M: [3.00] The carbonation level is slightly elevated but appropriate. Nothing bitter or lingering.

O: [2.75] I feel like I got jipped. I wanted a nice hoppy IPA for the night and I feel like I got lager. This has none of the characteristics of an IPA. Overall I just feel like this beer could not be more average. Nothing stands out. I might have to seek out a fresh one and re-rate in the future.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, best before 12/30/2014. Pours fairly crystal clear deep orange/copper color with a 1-2 finger dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass, with a light amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big grapefruit, tangerine, apricot, lemon zest, orange peel, floral, grass, light pine, caramel, biscuit, light toast, and floral/grassy earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of bright citrus hop and moderate dark/bready malt sweetness; with good strength. Taste of big grapefruit. tangerine, apricot, lemon zest, orange peel, floral, grass, pine, caramel, biscuit, light toast, and floral/grassy earthiness. Moderate amount of pine/grassy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, apricot, lemon zest, orange peel, pine, caramel, biscuit, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice complexity and balance of bright citrus/pine hops and moderate dark/bready malt sweetness; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, fairly creamy, and lightly sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent IPA. All around great complexity and balance of citrus/pine hops and moderate dark/bready malt sweetness; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

First of all, wow!

A deep Amber copper color. Creamy off white head that never fully dissipates. Beautiful lacing.

The smell was good, but it didn't prepare me for the taste. The smell was underwhelming. The taste was certainly not.

Very hoppy. Finishes very sharp. A little salty, even.

Feels almost creamy, but not heavy. My favorite aspect of the beer.

Overall, a beautiful beer. If you like IPAs, give it a try. If you don't like IPAs, save your money because it's truly an IPA.

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: dark amber/orange with a very thin somewhat soapy head that doesn't persist

Smell: slight hints of molasses and toasted malt lead into piney earth notes

Taste: surprisingly yeasty and malty with a constant underlying pine hoppiness. After sipping there is a definite toasty note lingering on the tongue. Id be interested in seeing the grist bill for this brew. Not going to lie the taste threw me off a bit. It had the malty richness or a trippel but the bitterness and refreshing hints of a very hoppy IPA. Not unenjoyable, just unexpected.

Overall: An IPA to break the mold. Hoppy and complex. I can see why people love this brew but to be honest it wasn't my favorite. It has a certain heaviness in the flavor that I think appeals to many and almost feels like a "winter ipa" if you would. Still would drink again though

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Excellent Beer and priced right. My go to IPA. Their Dirt Wolf is amazing as well. Victory is a great brewery. Love a good IPA and this is one of the best.

4.14/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A classic. Always have some at my house for guests. Had it on nitro at Victory as well, but it took away the great hoppy flavor that is so characteristic of this amazing beer. Really one of the beers that started it all.

Outstanding beer... Full flavor just enough hoppy taste to make it right... World class

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

12oz Brown bottle with pry-off cap and best by date of 10/20/2014 poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours amber with a slight haze and 1/2 finger of head with a full lace down the glass

Smell: Piney hops and slight floral note

Taste: The hop character starts off earthy and a bit floral and spicy in the middle; finishes bitter with a pine note

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation and feels slightly oily

Overall: This is a solid IPA that has whats almost becoming an "old-school" flavor as crazy as that sounds. The newest and modern IPA are really focusing on citrus flavors but this beer really reminds me of how my very first IPAs tasted like a pine cone. Its been over a year and half since I last had this, its a classic and will stand the test of time.

4.21/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The Hop Devil ignited my thirst for better beer. I had this as a freshman in college, and haven't looked back.

Normally my reviews are longer, more detailed, and define each and every part of it. But all I'm going to say is this: It's hoppy, flavorful, and yet easygoing enough to please the masses. It's a phenomenal staple beer, and should stand the test of time as Victory's best, and as the perfect drink to transition a normal beer-drinker into a hop-head. It's not the greatest, but like I said, it's a drink to remember.

Drink if you want a great, hoppy pale ale.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

A- Copper/amber with a one finger white head. Mostly clear. Some thin lacing on the glass.

S- Malty. Some citrus/pine notes, but not as much as I expected.

T- Bitter pine, citrus, hay(?) with a malty backbone. Alcohol well hidden.

M- Medium body and smooth. Carbonation on the low end but enough. Very bitter but it works.

O- A hop bomb for sure. I liked it. Not for the timid/1st time IPA drinker for sure!

4.95/5  rDev +21.6%

One of the best american IPAs & the price is phenomenal

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

Slightly cloudy orange-amber, more orange than most. The head is pale orange to light toffee in color and leaves wisps and small sheets of sticky lace as it falls. The nose is hoppy, but it isn't one-dimensional. Malt is appreciated, as is a certain spiciness.

The flavor is of hops and caramel malt. The hops win comfortably, but there's more malt than I'm used to in an American IPA. Those of you who like a strong malt presence or a balanced character in your IPAs will love it. Citrus fruit is front and center, especially grapefruit and orange peel.

The body/mouthfeel is medium-full and is nicely done. It's very slightly dry on the finish, which is where the hops assert themselves to an even greater extent.

Even though I like my IPAs to be slanted a little more toward the hoppy end of the scale, this is a very good beer and is one that I'll buy whenever I have the opportunity. Love the HopDevil on the label.

4.71/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

No matter how many amazing, hop-heavy beers I try, I will always remember that this is the one that put me on the IPA train. Love this beer, will always be one of my favorites.

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

First of the Victory line I have tried and I came away very impressed.Now Iam not a hop-head but this beer has a nice balance to the hoppiness.Poured a real nice rich copper color with a pillowey head,the aroma of hops hits ya from almost a foot away.Taste is herbal hoppy with a nice nutty malt background.Had this at a pub in Blue Bell not far from my new place.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

A beautiful amber pour with a small head. The nose was ripe with hoppiness. And i mean lots of hoppiness. There was a small fruitiness in the nose as well. The taste was also super hoppy which was great and balanced out nicely with my thai curry chicken. There was also a rich maltiness that gave this beer enormous backbone. The mouthfeel was extremely smooth and moderatley creamy. A great combination of hops, malt and light fruitiness gave this beer exceptional range. Fantastic. My favorite IPA around.

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – This was a work of art. The body was a gorgeous, deep dark orange with a monster head that rose and rose. I couldn’t stop staring at the lacing that it left when it finally went down.

Smell – Extremely complex hop profile. I think just about every type of hop must be represented in this ale. There’s also a subtle yet distinct malt balance, but this one is all about the beautiful hop scent.

Taste – The complex aromas found there way into the taste. The hops were very well balanced, and made this one a pleasure to consume. The malt backbone was enough to balance, but this one certainly is all about the hops.

Mouthfeel – Medium-bodied with a bit of carbonation. The exceptional balance of this ale made it feel terrific in the mouth.

Drinkability – This was a terrific IPA that was exceptionally smooth, tasty, and exciting all at the same time.

Update – I thought I’d revisit my review 10 years later. The incredible mouthfeel stands out to me again. It is so smooth it just disappears from the glass. This one will never grow old.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company