Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Reviews by Zimbo:
4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Hoppily smooth savoury sweet smell instantly impresses and is supported by a browny orangy haze with some bright orange sparkles. Thick dense slightly rocky and glossy off white head which inspires rings of lacing with every sip. SOme fizz in the middle but a very bitter end for the style which is fiesty and certainly blunt. Sort of unsophistaicated and rough for the style but forgetting those constraints this is a very likeable beer which i would gladly have again and again.

Zimbo, Apr 29, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, best before 12/30/2014. Pours fairly crystal clear deep orange/copper color with a 1-2 finger dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass, with a light amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big grapefruit, tangerine, apricot, lemon zest, orange peel, floral, grass, light pine, caramel, biscuit, light toast, and floral/grassy earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of bright citrus hop and moderate dark/bready malt sweetness; with good strength. Taste of big grapefruit. tangerine, apricot, lemon zest, orange peel, floral, grass, pine, caramel, biscuit, light toast, and floral/grassy earthiness. Moderate amount of pine/grassy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, apricot, lemon zest, orange peel, pine, caramel, biscuit, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice complexity and balance of bright citrus/pine hops and moderate dark/bready malt sweetness; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, fairly creamy, and lightly sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent IPA. All around great complexity and balance of citrus/pine hops and moderate dark/bready malt sweetness; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

superspak, Sep 13, 2014
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

A- Copper/amber with a one finger white head. Mostly clear. Some thin lacing on the glass.

S- Malty. Some citrus/pine notes, but not as much as I expected.

T- Bitter pine, citrus, hay(?) with a malty backbone. Alcohol well hidden.

M- Medium body and smooth. Carbonation on the low end but enough. Very bitter but it works.

O- A hop bomb for sure. I liked it. Not for the timid/1st time IPA drinker for sure!

nodder, Aug 17, 2014
4.08/5  rDev 0%

First of the Victory line I have tried and I came away very impressed.Now Iam not a hop-head but this beer has a nice balance to the hoppiness.Poured a real nice rich copper color with a pillowey head,the aroma of hops hits ya from almost a foot away.Taste is herbal hoppy with a nice nutty malt background.Had this at a pub in Blue Bell not far from my new place.

oberon, May 07, 2003
4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

A beautiful amber pour with a small head. The nose was ripe with hoppiness. And i mean lots of hoppiness. There was a small fruitiness in the nose as well. The taste was also super hoppy which was great and balanced out nicely with my thai curry chicken. There was also a rich maltiness that gave this beer enormous backbone. The mouthfeel was extremely smooth and moderatley creamy. A great combination of hops, malt and light fruitiness gave this beer exceptional range. Fantastic. My favorite IPA around.

Popsinc, Jan 17, 2004
4.53/5  rDev +11%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – This was a work of art. The body was a gorgeous, deep dark orange with a monster head that rose and rose. I couldn’t stop staring at the lacing that it left when it finally went down.

Smell – Extremely complex hop profile. I think just about every type of hop must be represented in this ale. There’s also a subtle yet distinct malt balance, but this one is all about the beautiful hop scent.

Taste – The complex aromas found there way into the taste. The hops were very well balanced, and made this one a pleasure to consume. The malt backbone was enough to balance, but this one certainly is all about the hops.

Mouthfeel – Medium-bodied with a bit of carbonation. The exceptional balance of this ale made it feel terrific in the mouth.

Drinkability – This was a terrific IPA that was exceptionally smooth, tasty, and exciting all at the same time.

Update – I thought I’d revisit my review 10 years later. The incredible mouthfeel stands out to me again. It is so smooth it just disappears from the glass. This one will never grow old.

RoyalT, Oct 08, 2003

aszatk01, Apr 29, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Typical looking hazy orange ale with a better than average white head. Strong toasty gin aromas. Taste is junipered with healthy dollops of grapefruit and spice. Bready, chewy, earth and citrus. Lots of hops and therefore well serving of its title. So well balanced. Very drinkable.

DaPeculierDane, Feb 06, 2006
3.76/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I'm not a fan of hoppy beer. There I said it. But I still want to try them out to change my perception of them. I had an IPA so hoppy, bitter, and similar to a pine cone that I decided not to try them for a while (I think it was Sierra Nevada's Torpedo).

This beer definitely has hops galore but without a mountain of bitterness. Is there bitterness? Yes absolutely, but I've experiences much worse. Was there a pine taste to it? Yes, unfortunately there was but it wasn't overwhelming.

For an IPA this is pretty nice and I like the price of $1.79 per bottle. But as a beer I'd rank this beer low since I'm not a fan of IPAs. I hear of these mythical fruit and hoppy beers... maybe I'd be into those. Too much pine and bitters, but maybe that's all they will ever be. Meh. I just don't understand how people can pretend to like beers like this.

Fear4Beer, Jun 09, 2014
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Had this in Atlantic City at the Borgata in the Fornelletto restaurant. Menacingly delicious, with the powerful, aromatic punch of whole flower American hops backed up by rich, German malts. HopDevil Ale offers a roller coaster ride of flavor, coasting to a smooth finish that satisfies fully.

COMPOSITION
Malts: Imported, German 2 row
Hops: American whole flowers
Alcohol by volume: 6.7%

ExtraStout, Sep 27, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

DavyJones, Apr 19, 2012
3.65/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

HopDevil pours a pretty copper-gold color into my large snifter glass. Its head is a thin, one finger tall from an agressive pour and is the lightest shade of khaki. The body is just a hair cloudy with copious carbonation bubbles moving quickly upward. The lacing left on the glass is fine and curvy- Tolkien Elvish style.

My buddy, who lived in PA for 3 years, told me that this was brewed with German malt and I swear I can smell a bit of a Dormunder-esque aroma to the bouquet. This blends with spicy, earthy American hops for a very unique IPA aroma. Herbal and floral scents are prevalent, although I also smell a touch of sweet citrus when I breather in deeply.

The taste is rather similar to the smell with the German malt harmonizing well with the earthy, spicy hop presence. Very faint flavor of citrus introduce themselves mid-sip. The finish knocks the grade down a notch for me, as an extremely earthy, resiny, metallic bitterness lingers on my palate without any malt sweetness to counteract it.

The hop float really leads the mouthfeel parade. The bitterness from the beer somehow hits more points on my palate than any other IPA I've had. It's probably on the light side of medium bodied, but its quite hard to tell because the puckering nature of the hops dry out my palate so completely.

I feel like I am being a wuss. I love bitter IPAs, but I am really just not loving the way in which HopDevil is bitter. That is, the finish is so earthy, grassy, resiny, and metallic that I don't love how the bitter flavor compares to bitter flavors of other IPAs. If this had just a little more malt balance and a little more of a citrus presence, I would like HopDevil considerably more.

TCHopCraver, Mar 01, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

CavemanRamblin, Jul 28, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Zakk, Jun 03, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

FLASH, Jul 15, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a rocks glass a auburn hue with brief white head. There is a floral hoppiness balanced by a decent amount of malt. The brew could be a little more substantial on the body side of things but is average. Too much malt for my expectation of a "hopdevil". I expect a lot from AIPAs as they are often synonymous with DIPAs. There is not a substantial level of hop character and what hop character is present is diminished by the malt content. The malt sweetness is a disappointment for me in this interpretation.

ArrogantDeadGuy, Aug 10, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

TheDudeAbides88, Jul 13, 2014
4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Victory HopDevil IPa. 6.7% alcohol.

A- Pours a radiant hued amber-orange colored fluid with light quarter inch head that falls into mild frothy ring around glass. Leaves excellent stick lacing on rim of glass.

S- Fresh grass, citrus, grapefruit, light malt and a small dose of alcohol on the nose. Very revitalizing to the scenses.

T-M- First is a well balanced citrusy hop bite with even malt flavor. Second is a mild bitter bomb to the tongue and mouth that tends to stick around for awhile. Great finish with light carbonation that allow the beer to roll back with no problem at all. Some danky hops are leftover after swallowed but pleasent bitterness.

D- I could drink the hell out of this beer! excellent balance and flavor make this one a winner. Bro approved... chasebrownyeah1

wesbrownyeah, Oct 06, 2009

BenTherHppedThat, Nov 20, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

delaced21, Mar 05, 2014
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

A: Orangy copper color hazy liquid. Light amber at the bottom of the glass. A finger width creamy colored head.

S: Nice combo of maltiness, sweet caramel and hop aggressiveness.

T: Solid bready malt with a really nice piney hop bite. Really satisfying breadiness in the finish with a lasting bitterness.

M: Light side of medium bodied. Medium carb.

D: Really drinkable IPA. Very enjoyable. Hard to have just the one. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this.

sgoodship, Aug 19, 2009