1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,277 | Reviews: 2,353 | Show All Ratings:
John

HopDevil is without question, in the top five of the American IPA catagory. Probably in the top ten best beers of any kind. Excellent.

09-19-2001 13:01:23 | More by John
mophie

Delaware

This is my favorite IPA. I think the brewmasters at Victory describe it best, and I quote: "Bold, spicy and menacingly delicious, this American-hopped India Pale Ale offers an aromatic punch and then follows through with a lasting, full-bodied finish." Agreed.

02-09-2002 15:58:26 | More by mophie
frank4sail

Ya know how redheads are either "hot as hell" or well ya know a "train wreck". Well this is one "hot" devil. Bright bubbles, hypnotic in its bitterness. The aftertaste has addictive overtones of flowers, perfume, and a high heel against the backside. God I love the Devil out of this beauty. Sorry about the description, but this is a top ten beer on the wish list..

03-27-2002 21:12:21 | More by frank4sail
boblinneman

Two words to describe Hopdevil COMPLEX yet BALANCED!
Its hard for me to give a perfect rating, but this beer really does have it all. Its a rollercoaster ride for your tastebuds. Victory does not over hop this IPA to make a name for themselves, (ex. 90minuteIPA or Ruination) they just made the perfect beer.

09-24-2002 20:37:13 | More by boblinneman
cubedoggy

Maryland

I can't add much more about appearance that has not already been said. I admit it, I am a hophead. I love IPAs -- Bass, of course, the first, then I was introduced to the local brew in Harpoon IPA back when it was a seasonal. Then came Tremont, Shipyard Fuggles, Sam Adams, etc. Traveling I savored Bridgeport IPA, Goose Island IPA, and Rogue Brutal Bitter, but, sadly, they are not available in MA. Then one chilly evening I found Victory Hop Devil in my favorite "packy" (Macy's).

I see that some have mentioned Stone in the same breath as Hop Devil; I can't compare, as Stone in $10 a six as opposed to $7 for Hop Devil. However, I find it difficult to believe that it is $3 better. Hop Devil smells wonderful, and tastes even better. Feels great on the tongue, and rolls down smoothly. The only problem is that its so good and refreshing it's hard to to sip!

If you like your ale on the hoppy side, you can't go wrong with Hop Devil. It's as good as any out there, and better than most...and I swore by Harpoon for years!

02-09-2003 20:37:29 | More by cubedoggy
rugbycritic

This is absolutley one of my unabashed favorites. As a unredemptive hophead, it doesn't get much better (bitter?) than this. A fantastic expression of the brewer's art; an apoplectic melding of malt sweetnes with lupulus bitternes and aroma. The cask conditioned presentation steps this one up into the valhalla of brewing. If you've only had the draught version of this wonderful brew, the cask is just that more so. The lower conditioning level lets the melange of flavors burst forth on the palate, unencumbered by the bubbliness of carbonation.

As you can probably tell, I am a huge fan. This merits the 5 x 5 as indicated above. I really don't think that there is much room for improvement on this one.

06-02-2003 07:06:28 | More by rugbycritic
kegerator

Maryland

Another great offfering.
lets see old horizontal...hopdevil, hodevil...old horizontal.
the two beers are one in the same except for only a few minor differences.
Hopdevil is basically Old Ho with less ABV and a slightly stronger Hop profile. Not sure which one of these fine beers came first, who cares really :)
From the first pour it looked and smelled just like Old Ho, with a slightly accentuated hop profile in the aroma, some apple in the aroma as well. Tast is the same with a lingering sweet and hop combo that is very tasty. Mouthfeel was slightly sticky, like that of Old Ho. Very fine beer, and very drinkable...

07-20-2004 14:24:23 | More by kegerator
cheers2beers

Served in a Chalice:

Appearance: This is one of my favorite American IPAs.Poured a beautiful red/orange tint.Slightly cloudy with lots of cascading to create a nice creamy tan head.Lots of beading inside and a lacing that doesn't quit.

Smell: The aroma of hops and untainted malts dominate this IPA .A sweet nectar and some pines play a role as well.Not much alcohol in the nose but just enough to say "hello,i'm alcohol".

Taste: Fantastic flavors bursting in my mouth like no other.Citrusy and piney hops are definitely there,but caressed with a nicely sweetened malt that keeps you coming for more.A sour apple, candied oranges, and a not too potent alcohol mingle themselves in this fine brew.

Mouthfeel: This silky, smooth liquid brushes by my tongue with such elegance,I almost dont even notice the sweet bubbley finish.This beer also creates a thin film in my mouth that tastes like everything ive described for you so far.

Drinkability: I know,I could devour many bottles of this in one session.Its definitely on "Cheers2Beers" must try list and Not a bad price for a most profound beer of this magnitude.Brew on,Victory!

Cheers2Beers

03-06-2006 23:48:53 | More by cheers2beers
acehart1

Boy am I lucky. I got to enjoy this amazing beer when I went to the brewery (which is something I highly recommend to other beer-lovers).

I have had this beer on draught and in the bottle and I must say that enoying it from the cask just heightened the beer experience for me. I would rate this as one of my three or four favorite beers of all-time (and definitely my favorite single IPA).

A - Deep orange/brown color. Unfiltered with a slight head.

S- Strong, strong citrus smell.

T - I couldn't ask for more out of an IPA as it maintains a perfect blend between the hoppiness and the citrus element of the beer.

M - Very smooth. Not overwhelming at all.

D - A nice balance. I really enjoyed this one. Kudos to the guys at Victory for this one.

05-22-2006 04:15:52 | More by acehart1
woodychandler

Gee, Hop Devil gets reviewed so seldom that I am anxious to get one posted. Ha! Instead, I want to indulge in a little bit of (not really) frivolity.

Ode to Hop Devil

O, great Hoppus Maximus!
You were my first love.
I discovered you early on
And although I have had others
You remain the one that converted me.
Once, I embraced Rolling Rock,
But the pony left me behind.
Then, I received your kiss,
And I was won!

My mentor, Lew, puts it so well:
You are the perfect marriage of malt and hops
And who am I to disagree?
Your tawny beauty is breathtaking
But so is your tannish head.
Some find you indescribable
But I must disagree!

You, dear Hop Devil, are the beer for me.
Rotsaruch, Maybrick, Shapudding, favorites all,
But you, Hop Devil, make me sit up tall.
Your sticky lacing,
Your thick, full mouthfeel,
Your bitter start,
Your sweet end,
Your reddishness,
You, baby, are my dream.

They say that the devil is male,
But you give that supposition the lie.
Hop Devil, you are as sensuous as any woman.
I will love you until the day I die.

My apologies if that seems rambling or silly, but it was heartfelt. May my Karma be struck dead.

02-20-2007 10:03:15 | More by woodychandler
drpimento

Wisconsin

What a great beer! Matches its commercial description exactly. And I especially like the lack of fruitiness which I've grown to dislike in very hoppy beers. Poured with a nice head which lasted for quite a while and plenty of lace. Very aromatic hoppy maltiness in the nose. Good mouth if perhaps just the barest hint of being thin. Intense savory flavor is all the aroma is but so much more. Quite satisfying yet continuosly intriguing. Excellent finish.

02-18-2008 02:51:26 | More by drpimento
jwhancher

Quite simply...my favorite beer. Great appearance, awesome hoppy smell, excellent taste, superb mouthfeel, and a drinkability that can go down for the ages. A++ for this beer!!! Quite simply, among my favorites for the regular rotation in my fridge. Not to mention, this brew tastes 10x better coming from a cask conditioned pump straight from the source.

08-15-2009 01:20:50 | More by jwhancher
jantonius

I love Victory's HopDevil IPA. By far my favorite IPA. Great to see such great beers coming from my Hometown!!!

A: Amber

S: Hoppy and Citrus

T: Well balanced hops with a grapefruit finish

M: Light and bubbly

D: This is my absolute favorite American IPA and raises the bar to the California Pale Ale's

11-26-2009 01:47:38 | More by jantonius
thebrood1987

Looks like a pretty malty IPA. I smell hop fruitiness that reminds me of the Cascade hop with a grapefruit like fruitiness. I also get an amazing tropical smell reminiscent of mango with some sweetness from the malt. The taste is just as awesome that starts with a spicy hop bite that quickly gets run over by the burnt caramel malt and then the dry bitterness comes through with that grapefruit like fruitiness from the hops.

I'm glad they decided to pick this beer to have the different malt backing to balance the hops out. This malts remind me of a lighter Yakima Glory so that the hops shine through more. It's actually an interesting take on an IPA because of that burnt, roasted caramel malt taste that goes along with the whole flowers they use. I love that they use whole flowers in their beer it gives all of them a distinct Victory taste... this one being one of their very best. Another A plus for Victory.

03-29-2011 01:15:05 | More by thebrood1987
vicsju1991

12 oz bottle, poured into hopdevil pint glass, my 42nd review, with my favourite beer to commemorate the hitchikers
A- beautiful lively amber, nice two finger head, stays for a while, good lacing
S - wonderful citrusy hops, lots of grapefruit
T- follows the nose, nice grapefruit, intense bitterness
M - creamy and easy to drink
O - my favourite beer, my only all 5 beer other than FBS

01-06-2012 10:34:47 | More by vicsju1991
proc

4.97/5  rDev +21.5%

As my beer knowledge grows, I have found that I have gone from a newbie a few years ago who would cringe at the taste of hops to a seasoned pro, who craves a hoppy beer. I compared this to my beloved Bell's Bell's Two Hearted and found it to be just as good, excellent even. Pours out to a beautiful copper, with a slight head. Taste and smell is that of grapfruit and other citrus. The hop taste is fantastic, but doesn't overwhelm the beer. I believe this is due to my palate digging hops, someone who is new to beer would probably make a face. Unlike one of the other reviewers who said they probably could only have one or two, I believe this could be a session quaffer. It went down that easy. I still give Bell's a slight nod over Victory ONLY because Victory isn't available in Michigan and Bell's cloudy, golden give it just a slight appearance grade higher. But, if this beer were available here...it'd be a tie.

A big thanks to pbrian for sending this my way!

05-12-2002 09:14:31 | More by proc
billybob

4.97/5  rDev +21.5%

pours very cloudy orange amber color with a two finger light tan head that holds fairly well with a nice lacing to the finish. now this beer is not kidding a citrus and large pine hop aroma. toasted malt and citrus with that pine hop all through the taste, just great. excellent balance of malt and hop and carbonation, medium mouthfeel and nice hop bite. definitely looking for this one next trip out.

02-04-2007 18:57:21 | More by billybob
pbrian

Connecticut

4.95/5  rDev +21%

Grinning ear-to-ear now that my local carries this. I was expecting an overpowering glass of hops and got a beautifully balanced big IPA. Compares to a SN Celabration but softer with less bite. $7.99/six is gonna set me back some cash over time.

11-23-2001 10:33:45 | More by pbrian
esprit

United States

4.95/5  rDev +21%

Just tried my first Hop Devil and, boy, was I impressed. These guys really know what they're doing and they are a hopheads dream come true. Incredible hop aromas and flavour...enough to satifsy even the most virulent hopead.

05-24-2002 16:28:04 | More by esprit
wyllder

4.95/5  rDev +21%

A long time fan of Hopdevil in bottles, it was sure nice to have on tap...

Appearance:
Pours a deep amber. Foams to a small head. The color, while not quite as dark as a strong ale, is darker than most IPA's.

Smell:
On tap the smell is even more robust than the bottled. Floral hops & with a citrusy tang in the background greet the nose, I don't think an IPA could smell any better.

Taste/Mouthfeel:
Yumm.. Bitterness & fruitiness greet the front of the palate, forming a formidable balance of hops & malt. Rushing to the back of the palate the feel is at once smooth and creamy going down only to leave you with a lingering hoppy bitterness, the tastes of sawgrass, hay, and grapefruit topped off with malty sweetness are all there. Just beautiful.

Drinkability:
I usually start my sessions with a Hopdevil and often finish them with one too. For a 6.7% ABV, this is, as the label says, dangerously drinkable.

Wyll-

06-17-2004 13:55:25 | More by wyllder
TheDeuce

4.95/5  rDev +21%

Finally sitting here with a bottle of the legendary HopDevil out of the Victory variety pack....here we go.

Appearance-flawless, a gorgeous red amber color with a huge foamy head that stays and stays and stays, exceptional clarity with active carbonation.

Smell-spicy hop aroma combined with sweet fruit malt, alcohol also seeps through the nostrils but the hops overtake everything by quite a bit.

Taste-velvetey smooth with a rich taste, dark malts puncuate at first followed by a large hop bite, very spicy kicks with some darker flavor (almost chocolate but not quite) seeping through. Viciously flavorful and quite delicious.

Mouthfeel-dark on the palette, hop bite is nice, very flavorful on the palette, a pleasure to drink.

Drinkability-flavorful to the death and deviously drinkable. A top-notch ale that should be enjoyed in all circumstances.

Overall-I am angry that I was so late in finally getting to drink this fabulous beer. A sheer pleasure to drink in every respect and a beer that has acheived its fanfare and fame through sheer drinkability and hop character. A must-try.

03-04-2005 05:03:12 | More by TheDeuce
JasonCoop

4.95/5  rDev +21%

pours a somewhat hazy dark amber color with good white foam.

smells like sweet malts and big hops. seems great so far.

taste is quite balanced at first but falls into a heavy hop aftertaste. sweet malts upfront, a little bit fruity at first but then into a nice hop kick. alcohol is quite present. it's damn good.

mouthfeel probably couldn't be better. very pleasant. typical nice balanced IPA. not too heavy not too light. good balance like i said. a great brew.

11-27-2005 09:36:52 | More by JasonCoop
jcw122

4.95/5  rDev +21%

Appearance-A beautiful medium copper color, very appealing!

Smell-Hops

Taste-This is where this beer really shines. It's an IPA, so you obviously expect lots of hops. And you do get lots of hops, but it's VERY well balanced with maltiness and LOTS of flavor! The hops aren't overwhelming which I really like. The flavor is complex, but stay extremely drinkable. I had about 3 in a row, with little fatigue compared to other hoppier beers.

Mouthfeel-I've had this beer a few times. It comes off as less carbonated feeling than most beers.

Head-Good head, but like I said, it doesn't feel very carbonated, even with fairly aggressive pouring (I've had bottle too).

Overall-One of my absolute favorite beers right now. I brought some to a party for me and a friend to enjoy, and it was highly entertaining. Lots of character to this beer.

03-20-2011 18:50:14 | More by jcw122
JupiterJesus

4.95/5  rDev +21%

On the heavier, richer side, but dry and balanced enough to not wear on your palate. Very little sweetness, but lots of body and rich, bready malt character that blends perfectly with the hops. I only wish I could brew an IPA this good.

As a side note, the carbonation level right out of the bottle is just perfect. I expected to have to pour gently, since most brews are a bit overcarbed in my taste, but this one came out creamy and gentle, with a very gentle carbonic bite. Bonus points!

This is a great IPA that deserves to be on your 'every day' beer list (along side Prima Pils, of course).

edit: just figured out what this brew reminds me of - Sierra Nevada Celebration.

06-30-2012 03:43:33 | More by JupiterJesus
BeerManDan

4.93/5  rDev +20.5%

One of my favorites. Great tasting and well balance of hop's and malt's. It has the right balance of sweetness/bitterness. This would be a great beer to introduce to your friends. For the price, very good friends. It was well balanced in a sweet/tartness that I liked. A very complex beer with loads of fruit and flavor!

06-20-2002 19:51:47 | More by BeerManDan