Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros

This is absolutley one of my unabashed favorites. As a unredemptive hophead, it doesn't get much better (bitter?) than this. A fantastic expression of the brewer's art; an apoplectic melding of malt sweetnes with lupulus bitternes and aroma. The cask conditioned presentation steps this one up into the valhalla of brewing. If you've only had the draught version of this wonderful brew, the cask is just that more so. The lower conditioning level lets the melange of flavors burst forth on the palate, unencumbered by the bubbliness of carbonation.

As you can probably tell, I am a huge fan. This merits the 5 x 5 as indicated above. I really don't think that there is much room for improvement on this one.

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

I can't add much more about appearance that has not already been said. I admit it, I am a hophead. I love IPAs -- Bass, of course, the first, then I was introduced to the local brew in Harpoon IPA back when it was a seasonal. Then came Tremont, Shipyard Fuggles, Sam Adams, etc. Traveling I savored Bridgeport IPA, Goose Island IPA, and Rogue Brutal Bitter, but, sadly, they are not available in MA. Then one chilly evening I found Victory Hop Devil in my favorite "packy" (Macy's).

I see that some have mentioned Stone in the same breath as Hop Devil; I can't compare, as Stone in $10 a six as opposed to $7 for Hop Devil. However, I find it difficult to believe that it is $3 better. Hop Devil smells wonderful, and tastes even better. Feels great on the tongue, and rolls down smoothly. The only problem is that its so good and refreshing it's hard to to sip!

If you like your ale on the hoppy side, you can't go wrong with Hop Devil. It's as good as any out there, and better than most...and I swore by Harpoon for years!

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company