Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,832 | Reviews: 2,482

My favorite IPA. There is really nothing else to say.

HopDevil is without question, in the top five of the American IPA catagory. Probably in the top ten best beers of any kind. Excellent.

Quite simply...my favorite beer. Great appearance, awesome hoppy smell, excellent taste, superb mouthfeel, and a drinkability that can go down for the ages. A++ for this beer!!! Quite simply, among my favorites for the regular rotation in my fridge. Not to mention, this brew tastes 10x better coming from a cask conditioned pump straight from the source.

Outstanding beer... Full flavor just enough hoppy taste to make it right... World class

Another fantastic beer from victory brewing.

What a great beer! Matches its commercial description exactly. And I especially like the lack of fruitiness which I've grown to dislike in very hoppy beers. Poured with a nice head which lasted for quite a while and plenty of lace. Very aromatic hoppy maltiness in the nose. Good mouth if perhaps just the barest hint of being thin. Intense savory flavor is all the aroma is but so much more. Quite satisfying yet continuosly intriguing. Excellent finish.

It's probably my favorite IPA.

I love Victory's HopDevil IPA. By far my favorite IPA. Great to see such great beers coming from my Hometown!!!

A: Amber

S: Hoppy and Citrus

T: Well balanced hops with a grapefruit finish

M: Light and bubbly

D: This is my absolute favorite American IPA and raises the bar to the California Pale Ale's

Two words to describe Hopdevil COMPLEX yet BALANCED!
Its hard for me to give a perfect rating, but this beer really does have it all. Its a rollercoaster ride for your tastebuds. Victory does not over hop this IPA to make a name for themselves, (ex. 90minuteIPA or Ruination) they just made the perfect beer.

This is my favorite IPA. I think the brewmasters at Victory describe it best, and I quote: "Bold, spicy and menacingly delicious, this American-hopped India Pale Ale offers an aromatic punch and then follows through with a lasting, full-bodied finish." Agreed.

4.97/5  rDev +22.1%

pours very cloudy orange amber color with a two finger light tan head that holds fairly well with a nice lacing to the finish. now this beer is not kidding a citrus and large pine hop aroma. toasted malt and citrus with that pine hop all through the taste, just great. excellent balance of malt and hop and carbonation, medium mouthfeel and nice hop bite. definitely looking for this one next trip out.

4.97/5  rDev +22.1%

As my beer knowledge grows, I have found that I have gone from a newbie a few years ago who would cringe at the taste of hops to a seasoned pro, who craves a hoppy beer. I compared this to my beloved Bell's Bell's Two Hearted and found it to be just as good, excellent even. Pours out to a beautiful copper, with a slight head. Taste and smell is that of grapfruit and other citrus. The hop taste is fantastic, but doesn't overwhelm the beer. I believe this is due to my palate digging hops, someone who is new to beer would probably make a face. Unlike one of the other reviewers who said they probably could only have one or two, I believe this could be a session quaffer. It went down that easy. I still give Bell's a slight nod over Victory ONLY because Victory isn't available in Michigan and Bell's cloudy, golden give it just a slight appearance grade higher. But, if this beer were available here...it'd be a tie.

A big thanks to pbrian for sending this my way!

4.95/5  rDev +21.6%

Just tried my first Hop Devil and, boy, was I impressed. These guys really know what they're doing and they are a hopheads dream come true. Incredible hop aromas and flavour...enough to satifsy even the most virulent hopead.

4.95/5  rDev +21.6%

Appearance-A beautiful medium copper color, very appealing!

Smell-Hops

Taste-This is where this beer really shines. It's an IPA, so you obviously expect lots of hops. And you do get lots of hops, but it's VERY well balanced with maltiness and LOTS of flavor! The hops aren't overwhelming which I really like. The flavor is complex, but stay extremely drinkable. I had about 3 in a row, with little fatigue compared to other hoppier beers.

Mouthfeel-I've had this beer a few times. It comes off as less carbonated feeling than most beers.

Head-Good head, but like I said, it doesn't feel very carbonated, even with fairly aggressive pouring (I've had bottle too).

Overall-One of my absolute favorite beers right now. I brought some to a party for me and a friend to enjoy, and it was highly entertaining. Lots of character to this beer.

4.95/5  rDev +21.6%

A long time fan of Hopdevil in bottles, it was sure nice to have on tap...

Appearance:
Pours a deep amber. Foams to a small head. The color, while not quite as dark as a strong ale, is darker than most IPA's.

Smell:
On tap the smell is even more robust than the bottled. Floral hops & with a citrusy tang in the background greet the nose, I don't think an IPA could smell any better.

Taste/Mouthfeel:
Yumm.. Bitterness & fruitiness greet the front of the palate, forming a formidable balance of hops & malt. Rushing to the back of the palate the feel is at once smooth and creamy going down only to leave you with a lingering hoppy bitterness, the tastes of sawgrass, hay, and grapefruit topped off with malty sweetness are all there. Just beautiful.

Drinkability:
I usually start my sessions with a Hopdevil and often finish them with one too. For a 6.7% ABV, this is, as the label says, dangerously drinkable.

Wyll-

4.95/5  rDev +21.6%

Finally sitting here with a bottle of the legendary HopDevil out of the Victory variety pack....here we go.

Appearance-flawless, a gorgeous red amber color with a huge foamy head that stays and stays and stays, exceptional clarity with active carbonation.

Smell-spicy hop aroma combined with sweet fruit malt, alcohol also seeps through the nostrils but the hops overtake everything by quite a bit.

Taste-velvetey smooth with a rich taste, dark malts puncuate at first followed by a large hop bite, very spicy kicks with some darker flavor (almost chocolate but not quite) seeping through. Viciously flavorful and quite delicious.

Mouthfeel-dark on the palette, hop bite is nice, very flavorful on the palette, a pleasure to drink.

Drinkability-flavorful to the death and deviously drinkable. A top-notch ale that should be enjoyed in all circumstances.

Overall-I am angry that I was so late in finally getting to drink this fabulous beer. A sheer pleasure to drink in every respect and a beer that has acheived its fanfare and fame through sheer drinkability and hop character. A must-try.

4.95/5  rDev +21.6%

pours a somewhat hazy dark amber color with good white foam.

smells like sweet malts and big hops. seems great so far.

taste is quite balanced at first but falls into a heavy hop aftertaste. sweet malts upfront, a little bit fruity at first but then into a nice hop kick. alcohol is quite present. it's damn good.

mouthfeel probably couldn't be better. very pleasant. typical nice balanced IPA. not too heavy not too light. good balance like i said. a great brew.

4.95/5  rDev +21.6%

One of the best american IPAs & the price is phenomenal

4.94/5  rDev +21.4%

On the heavier, richer side, but dry and balanced enough to not wear on your palate. Very little sweetness, but lots of body and rich, bready malt character that blends perfectly with the hops. I only wish I could brew an IPA this good.

As a side note, the carbonation level right out of the bottle is just perfect. I expected to have to pour gently, since most brews are a bit overcarbed in my taste, but this one came out creamy and gentle, with a very gentle carbonic bite. Bonus points!

This is a great IPA that deserves to be on your 'every day' beer list (along side Prima Pils, of course).

edit: just figured out what this brew reminds me of - Sierra Nevada Celebration.

4.94/5  rDev +21.4%

Grinning ear-to-ear now that my local carries this. I was expecting an overpowering glass of hops and got a beautifully balanced big IPA. Compares to a SN Celabration but softer with less bite. $7.99/six is gonna set me back some cash over time.

4.94/5  rDev +21.4%

One of my favorite american IPAs

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

Pop the top and the hops don't stop!!! Tastes as good as it smells. This is the beer that drove me over the edge to hop heaven. I am now an admitted hop-head and it's spoiled me for life. Every morning I wake up and crave the hoppy after-taste and it's all because of HopDevil. I can't live without it. Join the Hop Celebration!!

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

Amber-orange pour with a very slight haze and some whitish foam.

Incredible in your face sweet hoppiness. Amorphous citrus dominates, but a definite malty backbone exists.

Wow. Incredible hoppiness dominates the palate. Long, lingering but pleasant bitterness. Strong malty background. Caramel, toasted.

Easily the most incredibly drinkable and most balanced IPA I've had. Perfect for cold sipping nights or warm summer afternoons.

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

A- dark amber, lasting head, delicate ephemeral lacing
S - piney, citrusy
T - bitter...no sweet...no spicy...no, wait bitter again...
M - smooth, balanced carbonation, clean finish
D - 5.0 exceptional, never disappointing

With apologies to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle...

To 007, she was always the beer. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name. In his eyes she eclipses and predominates the whole of her style. It was not that he felt any emotion akin to love for HopDevil. All emotions,and that one particularly, were abhorrent to his cold, precise but admirably balanced mind. He was, I take it, the most perfect reasoning and observing machine that the world has seen, but as a beer-lover he would have placed himself in a false position. He never spoke of the softer passions, save with a gibe and a sneer.

They were admirable things for the observer -- excellent for drawing the veil from beer's motives and actions. But for the trained reasoner to admit such intrusions into his own delicate and finely adjusted palate was to introduce a distracting factor which might throw a doubt upon all his results. And yet there was but one beer to him, and that beer was the great HopDevil.

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

From the recently discovered journals of a beer lover.

Years ago before I was into beer tasting, I forgoed picking up a sixer of this for the more familiar and fantastic Stone IPA. Gargoyles, guardians against evil, must have protected me with their bright citric West coast flavors. Then, it vanished from the shelves. Lurking beneath the surface of a budding america beer culture the beast from the east planned its victory like Lovecraft's Cthulu. Now that its back. The hopdevil has me. I'll drink it likes its my last. Like their is a hellhound on my trail...

This beer unleashes demoniac lupulin lust while satiating my desire for morose malts. So sinful yet so delicious, its our nature to love the drink and this beer pulls that yen right out of me. Thick with a blood red undertone. Thick creamy satanic head locks in the flavors.

I smell dough. Baked fresh from the ovens of Babylon. Something smells of beer's most ancient secrets. Sinister yet delectable. A danky and oily tincture of hops stews sinisterly with roasted malts of the most english character. That seducer of women chocolate lurks in the background.

I am awed by the diverse hop flavors. They taunt me, the lupulin lover I am with their phantasmagoric sleep of floral, herbal and danky character. Truly the beast of sleep. This rough beast slouches with a doughy and biscuity English malt spine. Dark fruits howl "plum, apricot, raisin."

This thick elixir both pulverizes and perfects me. I am energized by the refreshing healthy malts but my love for this potent hop madness pulls me into a daydream.

I dream that all beer can be this good.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company