Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,430 | Hads: 6,874
3.33/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Hop Devil by Victory Brewing.

Never had one outta these guys. Let us hope it works out in my favor.

Look - Pours clear amber with a two finger slightly off white head that sticks around like a good father. The carbonation is on low with this one. No cloud formations to speak of. Yet at least. Leaves good lacing. 4.

Smell - Dominated by the malts and a half grapefruit mix. There really isn't a whole lot to say here. Half and half wins this race. 3.25.

Taste - The grapefruit pith is most prevelant really. The malts are certainly there but it is absolutely nothing to write home about. Basic IPA. 3.25.

Feel - Medium carbonation with a slighty watery body. Only thing saving this aspect is the creaminess. 3.

Overall - Blah. Generic as can be, nothing new here. Uninpressive, even for the style. I'd pass in the future. 3. (832 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours an orange/ amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head. Body is a little hazy. Head settles to a thick film. Smell is of malt, also some citrus hops, I think I detect a little bit of a floral smell in there. Taste definitely pins this as an East-coast IPA, Malts come through well along with the citric and pine hop flavors. Mouthfeel is a little thicker than expected for an IPA. Carbonation is on the mild side. This is a fine beer, but it is hard to stand out when everybody and their dog brews an IPA, compared to the entire field of the style, it is lacking a characteristic to make it stand out. (606 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Victory Brewing Hop Devil IPA: It’s time to discuss variety, supposedly the spice of life. Do you try a new beer or go with a tried and true beer, which you know is good. Is the reward of discovering a new great beer worth the risk of having a six pack in the fridge that turned out to be a dud? I have decent list of known great IPA’s. Why try yet another, like the Hop Devil? Well I did. The Hop Devil, once in the glass, has a brown color, very dark for an IPA, and an off-white head. The aroma is more of roasted malt than aromatic hop. The flavor has a back bone of roasted malt, but prominent throughout is a lot of hop bitters. It’s a good IPA, but not as balanced as others and missing the really aromatic flavorful hops that I prefer to have come out in an IPA. So in this case, I should have stayed with one of my tried and true standards in the IPA world. Such are the risks of beer exploration. (912 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours burnt orange with a semi-hazy body. The head never came on strong and was left to a thin film. Aroma was very resinous and filled with pine-like hoppiness. Not as full as I was hoping for. The taste came on very floral and finished with a rough hop bitterness. The hops are very concentrated in the center of the mouth and finish through decently. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied. The hops give way to a small amount of maltiness that comes through as it warms up. I have had much better and much worse IPAs. This is a great example of the style, but not world class to me. I feel as though there could be more complexity to this one. (639 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Moms and pops brought this one back from Pennsylvania for me. Thanks guys.

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a big medium-thin looking 3 finger off-white head or cream colored head with half decent retention. Medium carbonation evident in the form of tiny little bubbles. Burgundy or maroon brown in color. Head recedes to a bubbly foam ring and a wisp, leaving some immediate bubbly lacing. A splotchy wisp remains leaving some lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Pale and caramel malts and mild floral notes. Hops were very subdued here. Not all that much to talk about. Not bad, just not interesting enough for the style.

TASTE: Much better; where did this come from? Pale and caramel malts up front with some floral hops through the middle. Finishes with a good dose of piney floral and bitter hops. A bold and lingering aftertaste is full of piney flavors and a touch of caramel sweetness to balance it out. Good stuff here.

PALATE: Medium-light body with higher end carbonation. Not creamy enough, but goes down fine and finishes slightly dry on the palate. Just doesn't quite measure up.

OVERALL: Definitely an odd one. The taste profile was well balanced and very enjoyable, making it more than drinkable, but the nose was too weak and everything else about it was average at best. I'm honestly not quite sure why this one is rated so highly. Perhaps the bottle was not quite as fresh as it could be, so I'll have to give it another go if I see it on my next trip to the States. (1,506 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours an amber color with a fairly good sized head. Smells very floral, a little bit of pine, and it's very clear from both the look and the smell that it has a decent malt backbone to it. The taste has a fairly strong bitterness to it which is balanced with a caramel finish. It's a nice, balanced IPA. Not really my favorite, but I also don't think it was as fresh as I'd like. Too much malt for me, not sure if that was due to the hops fading or not. (453 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

I think I may have a bad six pack, very bitter, almost soap like aftertaste.

It pours an amber color with 1.5 inches of head that leaves a nice lacing down the glass.

Smells piny and sweet. A nice smelling IPA.

Taste is pleasant. Hop bitterness up front with a caramel sweetness in the middle. Aftertaste is like soap, and no I don't wash my glass with soap. Bought a 6 back 5 had this (1 a drain-pour) and 1 fantastic one. Awesome on tap.

Nice mouthfeel, nicely carbonated. Coats the mouth, but not overly so.

Drinkability suffers cause of the aftertaste.

Like I said, probably a bad six pack, and will be re-reviewed if I get one that isn't like this. Not very pleasant this time. (688 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

A- Pours a deep golden ale that is very bubbly. Thin, thigh head that has some retention and little lacing.

S- Faint hops but a very malt forward beer. A little grass but mostly oaky, roasted malts.

T- More malt heavy than smell leads you into. I have no hop character at all. Munich malts are prevalent as is a oak/wood finish.

M- Has a heavy feel in the mouth that is sticky and dry. Very easy to drink and could consume a couple rather quickly.

O- Strangely, I am really enjoying this beer, just not as an IPA. Has characteristics of amber ale and pale ales from Europe. I opened this Expecting an IPA and am disappointed by what I got. I will, though, try more of Victory's beers. (691 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured into glass. Rich, amber color with a 2-3 finger head. Noticed a good amount of carbonation.

Mild citrus smell - not too powerful rounded out with a decent malt.

When imbibed, noticed a firm malt-base and finished with a moderate bitter kick that lingered. Had a creamy mouthfeel.

I am not sure about everyone else but this came across as more of an English IPA then American. I say so due to the more balanced flavor of the brew (malt), reminded me a lot of McEwan's IPA (which I have read is a repackaged Special Import). This would be a nice session beer but personally, I would have wanted a lot more hops for a beer calling itself a "Hop Devil." (665 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Looks like a very robust color for the style. Love the white lacing on the side of the glass. Off smells of cat urine and dog feces. ( I smell these in many dipas).
The taste shines on this one. Refreshing, wet, and bitter. Nice malts to sooth that ohhh so good bitterness. Some peach, mango, and pineapple try to come through. A very strong hop bitter aftertaste. This is a rather moist Ipa. A very good offering from Victory. (428 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Hoppy ales aren't my favorite to begin with but this beer is decent. I didn't have that "cop from Dumb and Dumber face before they offered him a Tic Tac" look on my face. It lacks the overpowering bitterness I've found in many hopped-up ales. I could detect a hint of some sort of sweet fruit flavor in there. Maybe orange? Who the hell knows? Nice dark gold color... Like the first pee in the morning after a long night of drinking. AND it's 6.7% alcohol, which is nice.

NOTE: A year and a half later I have developed a great liking for IPAs and would like to review this beer again. I bet I would like it better now... (621 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%

A: Pours a very dark amber, very clear with minimal head and decent lacing.

S: lots of malt with a hint of hops

T: first taste was very malty, sweet and bready... to me this tastes like a slightly hoppy Fat Tire. If that's what you're into this is probably great but I prefer more dry hopped taste.

M: Feel is good, a bit oily and creamy with some good carbonation to hop balance. Probably the best aspect of this brew IMO.

D: Not sure I could down much more than one or two of these, very heavy and malty.

Caveat: I do prefer more hop forward beers and less malt so if you prefer a good balanced beer you might enjoy this one. I'd say give it a try and see for yourself! (676 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%

Reviewed on 7/10/08. On cask at Blind Tiger. Pours a cloudy brown with a bubbly white head. Aroma is very fruity with citrus hops lingering in the background. Also smells like red grape juice. Flavor is less fruity initially as the aroma with more hop bitterness. A very odd IPA- I got roasted malts, soda, apples, raisin, and alcohol. I've never had this beer before, but it seems that it's quite different on cask. Interesting and not really at all like an IPA.
7/3/7/3/14 (3.4/5) (482 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%

A- Deep orange-red with surprisingly little head or lacing. Looks kind of hazy.

S- Very sweet-smelling with caramel malt and citrusy hops.

T- Malt presence is quite strong here. Toasted, caramelly flavors abound. Hops are certainly there with an orangey flavor, but are not as prominent as I was expecting. Alcohol pops up every once in a while too. Fairly high bitterness on the finish.

M- Nice medium-bodied mouthfeel. Carbonation is pretty strong here.

D- Good drinkability, not great, but good. I could put down a couple of these, but not more than that.

Eh, I wasn't that impressed with this one. I was expecting more. The hops weren't as prominent as I had hoped. The balance between malt and hops was good no doubt, but the hop flavor was rather nondescript. It's alright, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. I had it on tap once and it was much better. (880 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I love Victory DirtWolf so I had high hopes for this brew. Appearance, smell and mouthfeel was all good, but I was disappointed in the taste.
However, I then remembered that DirtWolf was a DIPA, and comparing wasn't fair, nor the intent of these reviews.
As a IPA, this was a good beer. No citrusy taste, but good hops and flavor. (332 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this one awhile back, thought I would give it another shot. Now I remember why I haven't had it in awhile.

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: Dark Amber with a small white head.

S: Bitter smell of hops which is mostly masked by sweet malt.

T: Not as hoppy as anticipated. For me this was dominated by malt.

M: Medium body with light carbonation.

O: I don't think this was as fresh as it could have been...the best drink date is several months away but this was mostly dominated by malts and not the hops I was lookign forward to. Will probably revisit this beer 6 months down the road. (612 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

This beer is extremely over-rated. It smells and looks good, but the flavor is so unbalanced. Left me with a dry mouth feel. I'm glad someone gave it to me and I didn't buy the six pack.
I love IPA's but I prefer a balanced taste like a 90 min DFH. (248 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

actually had a chance to try this beer twice, the latter by accident.

forgot i had already had it. it poured nicely, golden cloudy, with a decent head, but that faded quickly.

aroma was citrus, but the taste was quite muted, not too much hopping devil wise. don't get me wrong, it went down just fine.

not too disappointed, but the 'hop devil' moniker had me prepared for more than advertised. (396 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

It pours a light amber with a decent white head that lasts about 1 minute, light lacing.

The smell is all hops, nothing else on the nose.

The taste is ok, nothing but hops again. Not a great finish. Pretty drinkable. (264 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

Good go on west-coast style ultra-hopped IPA and is very drinkable...but it doesn't quite hit the mark for me. I think it's the strong malt that I find a bit distracting, but others of course may find this characteristic appealing. Would I drink it every day? Pronably if it was the only hop-tastic beer I could get my hands on, but alas there's lots of options, even here in NoVA. Thanks for the effort Victory! (412 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured from bottle into 22 ounce glass.. Slight head that remained in this light copper coloured beer.. Has hoppy taste that is not too bad overall.. Lace left on glass after finishing, leaves slight after taste... Will buy again next year in a six pack.. (255 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours a pale bronze with a nice 1/8" of creamy tan head. tons of creamy lacing and sticking.

OMG this is beer? Super faint, almost non existant aroma. There is some faint hints of apple, pear and a hint of melon.

The flavor is also a bit thin. This is a far cry from what I remembered this beer to be. This beer ought to be called Hop Angel but, that's to angelic. This beer is decent not more.

It feels thin for an IPA. Reminds me of a basic IPA. Surpiring. I remember this beer being a lot more hoppy.

This beer is as drinkable as a glass of water. Yum but what happend to the hops? (588 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours a reddish-gold color with a somewhat soapy white head. This one is surprisingly malty on the nose, with hints of caramel and toffee, along with somewhat muted hops. This is a very balanced beer, almost more malt than hops. Having had this one a number of times I still don't get all the hype. Not bad, but nowhere near the level of the west coast IPAs. (358 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Made a deal with Beelzebub with this one on 4/29/2005. 16-oz. pint served up unchilled at the Cambridge Common.

Scampy film of pons major and minor covering with a fair amount of stuck and lace throughout the pour. Mahogany hue with a rose tint and some haze, though probably due to some chill, and good action. Caramel, light toffee on nose with some biting hop, though somewhat subdued given the moniker. Surprised by how buttery this is on the mouth as I expected much more of an up front hop bite, but that appears after the over-buttered toast slides off the palate; rose hip and roasted onion touches.

This is a fine offering, but I found it wanting due in large part to its buttery aspects. (703 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Found this in San Diego and was excited to try it after not having easy access to Victory beers in the Bay Area. Pint glass pour and I am met with a copper colored ale with a bubbly foamy head which stays throughout the session and produces a ton of lacing. The aroma is a major malt bomb. Bready, doughy almost a skunky beer smell. I wasn't really impressed with the taste. I was expecting a major hop explosion but it was not to be. Subdued hops are present with a lot of maltiness going on. There is an odd aftertaste which is present far too long. It wasn't an overall difficult beer to consume, but multiples were not in the cards for me...though I'm sure it would be for many others. Just didn't dig it that much unfortunately. (733 characters)

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company