Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,452 | Hads: 6,968
3.36/5  rDev -17.4%

Enjoy by May 13, 04 (sampled 4/14/04). Bottle wasn’t quite full, a lot of headspace. Given recent posts on how this beer doesn’t age well, this might be a factor.
Aroma: Combination of spicy and fruity hops with a hint of malt base.
Appearance: Nice clear amber with yellow tinged edges. Multi-sized bubble light tan head that left spots of lace as it receded, but not much.
Flavor: The malt is subtle but really keeps the hops in check. I found that the malt started to show late in the beer as it started to warm. Hops are of course the main show, but their act is somewhat restrained. This really struck me as more of a pale ale than an IPA. The hop taste is well presented, but just a little low-key with some tea like flavors.
Mouthfeel: Noted some hop oil in the feel and a little alcohol burn in the finish of this medium to heavy bodied beer. Oily coat lasts. The beer is pretty smooth and soft.
Overall Impression: Wow, what a let down. I paid big bucks to get this shipped to me given the reputation it had, and while it nicely presented a hop taste, there just wasn’t any “bang”. Drinkability doesn’t suffer, I’d gladly drink these at length, but I’m not ordering any more. If it was the local tap, I could see getting excited about this drinkable IPA, but the beer just was too mild mannered. Hop DEVIL? Devil took my $20 bill and vanished in the air. I just don’t see this as a top 20 beer. Good, yes. Outstanding? Not to me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best buy date of Oct. 11th 2011. Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Purchased as part of a Victory mix 12 pack.

A- Pours a nice copper hue that sits rich in the glass. A big foamy light khaki head forms then fades down slowly to leave a dense foamy film to cap the liquid. Some sticky lacing.

S- Sweet bready malt, some spicy hops present. Very malt forward. Quite appealing. The aroma is felt on roof of mouth.

T- Similar taste to what the aroma would indicate. Lots of sweet bready malt, spicy rye bread. The hops are quite spice centered, but have a touch of pine and light citrus zest in the end and finish. The hops start to come out of the malt body as it warms.

M- Medium bodied. The body of the beer does linger well, as well as a mellow bitterness. Mildly drying on palate. Simple.

O- A good IPA overall. Very easy to drink. Lots of balance here, if thats your thing. I prefer a hop forward IPA, so thats why I'm rating the otherwise solid brew down a couple notches. Everyone should try this beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy orange..lively head..laces ; drops to a film.
Smells like HOPS..piney..doughy ....almost a metallic scent in there.
Tastes sweet malt for about one second; then the hops kick in and it's grapefruit-rind time...alcohol is right there too....tames a bit on warming.
Mouthfeel is medium ....carbonation medium.
One will be enough for me. I think I'd like this better if there was just a little more sugar to balance the hops.

3.36/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured into a Samichlaus tulip. Best by the end of this month.

Deep amber with a good head, retention and lacing. Looks are certainly of a maltier/malt forward IPA. Aroma? Not IPA. Smaller strong ale? Amber ale? Whatever but not AIPA like. Caramel malt is strong in this one and hops are not aggressive in the aroma.

Taste follows the aroma... malty sweet with bitterness in a balancing role, getting prominent only toward the end. The hop flavors are also deeper and earthier even though it is mentioned clearly on the label that American hops are used.

Good body with alive carbonation; still a little too sweet in its finish and aftertaste. Overall it's pretty good. Can't say that I will buy it again given that I can get fresh Furious all the time which is an excellent example of an IPA with a malt character.

4, 3, 3, 4, 4

A - orange/copper, some lacing

S - grapefruit/citrus, slightly bready and sweet.

T&M - bitter grapefruit, with some malt sweetness. Slightly high on the carbonation with a bitter bite on the finish.

D - nothing objectionable, so I'd say it's drinkable.

Overall, for me this is one of those that used to be better. Years ago when I first tried it, it really stood out, it's been awhile since then so maybe my tastes have changed. I just seem to remember a better beer, the bottle I had was well before the "drink by" date, but it seemed to lack the great flavor and balance that really impressed me back then. This is one I will go back to, maybe an average one escaped from the brewery.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours out burnt orange in colour, there was very little head initially and what was there vanished almost immediately.

The aroma is fairly non-distinct...softly floral like many hoppy beers, and a bit of malt is sneaking in there but it's still fairly so-so.

The mouth starts of sweetly malty and then transitions smoothly into the hops which assert themselves strongly on the back of the tongue like a piney citrus twang. The hops were quite strong, but not to the point of being unenjoyable, largely because there was at least some attempt to keep the beer balanced. The after-taste lingers with the hops just refusing to let go of my tongue.

Mouth is fairly light, but that should be expected with this style of beer. Drinkability, a shade above average but nothing remarkable.

This isn't a bad beer, but it takes a really special IPA to grab my attention and this one just isn't that far above average to warrant special mention.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours dark amber with a fading white head.
Nose shows toasted malt, nutty malt, caramel and resinous hops. Not as hoppy as I expected.
Similar flavours. Perhaps the hops have faded. Too much malt and not enough hops.
Could use a bit more carbonation.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

A: Clear but amber and much darker than other IPAs. A slightly off-white head rises in as fine and pillowy and leaves just a touch of lace

S: Limited aroma, maybe just a very faint citrus

MF: Medium body with nice carbonation, but a bit dry feeling

T: The hops are astringent and biting, but quickly balanced by the malt. The hops flavors are indistinct due to the dominant biscuity malt.

D: I could probably drink more of these due to the malt backbone preventing undue palette crushingness, but it isn't what I look for in an IPA

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. See-thru amber with a generous cap of creamy foam that sticks around for a bit, settling into a thick skim. Nice lacing up top that quickly peters out a half inch down.

Grapefruit zest and flesh aromas put up a strong fight to get through plentiful bready and sweet malts. Impressive assortment of hop flavors- spicy, pungent, earthy and citrusy at once. Quite bitter, too. It's a bit boozy and the malt profile is a little heavy for my taste, mainly bready and toasty (oddly the lingering flavors are chiefly toasted malt, not hops

Overall impression: Not bad, but not memorable.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

Served in a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Cloudy brown coloring with about two fingers of head.

S- Very hoppy scent dominates this beer. Can also detect some spices as well.

T- This is a beer that is bitter from the time it enters your mouth to it's finish. VERY hoppy beer. Can definitely taste some spices as well.

M- Very hoppy beer with a very dry finish.

D- It's definitely extremely hoppy, but it is certainly very drinkable.

Overall a very solid IPA from Victory. Hoppier than I expected it to be. Very good beer though. Definitely recommend it.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

This looked like a red ale. Pour was nice, looked like it was going to taste good, but I was disappointed. It didn't have enough bite for an IPA. I didn't taste a hop explosion, I thought it was one of the more watered down tasting micro-brews I've ever had. I was expecting big taste, but something was missing. Not enough flavor for me. Maybe I had a bad bottle. Didn't compare to many of the other IPAs I've had.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours copper, with a tan, foamy head.and nice lacing. Smell is of hops,pine,and citrus, with a sweet edge. Body is medium,with some carbonation. Taste has a bitter edge,that I thought would be better balanced. The sweetness in the smell was not comming through for me. It's stright bitter from start to finish. Don't get me wrong,this is not a bad beer, but I liked Hazed and Infused much better.

Served in a pint glass

A: pours a slightly hazy, like amber golden color with a nice amount of foamy slightly off white head that lingers, medium lacing

S: very nice hop notes, great citrus and grapefruit notes

T: interesting taste, nice hop notes, slight citrus flavor, something lingers on the palate that is almost like a slight skunkiness

D/M: medium carbonation, smooth drinking, sits a little heavy, lingering taste on the palate is not the best

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

Picked this up based on store posted Beer Advocate ratings.

A: This beer looked good, a little cloudy, but rich in color.

S: This beer smells like it advertises. Very strong hops.

T: This beer is all hops. Some may dig that, and I do normally, but there wasn't any balance in this beer. It was all bitter hops.

M: Hopdevil left a bitter taste in my mouth for hours after drinking it. I almost wanted to drink something else to clear.

D: I can only do one of these in a sitting. To much bitterness. A touch of sweetness to balance this would make it amazing!

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

Poured into a pint glass a cloudy gold color. Not too much head or lacing to be seen. Had a real hoppy smell with a slight flowery hint. Not too much in the taste though. My it was just the aroma hops? Taste followed suit with the smell and had a pretty hoppy presence in it with just a little bit of malt. Had sort of a lighter mouthfeel to it. Not as hopped up as I expected from the name and the style but I feel it was a pretty good offering.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

12 oz. bottle poured to Hefe glass. Pours amber red with a large white head. Smell is on the floral hop side, very little citrus or pine on this one. Flavor is very malt forward, caramel, toffee, some sweetness. Hops are not particularly present in the flavor, with little citrus or pine influence. Medium carbonation and heavier on the palate than I expected. Overall I was not impressed with this one and suspect I got an old bottle. Will revisit.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

A: snifter. deep rich amber, almost mahogany color, with great clarity. nice off-white head. great head retention and lacing.

S: some wonderful citrus hop aroma with some fruit tones, mostly apples, from the crystal malts.

T: a little spicy at first. very well-balanced with the crystal and the hop selection. A little bit bland at first, but some spices like curry show up in the end.

M: interesting palate. medium bodied. smooth and well-balanced.

D: very nice APA, another good brew from Victory, not their best, but good nonetheless.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

Appearance- poured a nice Amber color but without much head and what was there was gone quickly--there was a slight cloudiness to it though.

Smell-had a very pleasant hoppy aroma with a slight hint of Alcohol. Indiviual aromas were hard to pick out of the complexity of the overall aroma.

Taste-I'm not a hop head but the good malt backbone really helped tame the overall hoppiness. The hops produced a slight grapefruit puckering effect.

Mouthfeel-Had a pleasing light to medium body that was good on the touge. The hop bite was very evident with a small alcohol pepperness to it.

Drinkability-I would definately buy again, however because of the hoppiness I would limit it to 1 to 2 a nite, but I'm not a hop head, yet.

3.34/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a crystal-clear golden orange, with tons of frothy, off-white head that lingers. Tons of lacing. Beautiful looking beer.

Smell: Grassy and mild citrus hops, with a fairly noticeable sweet and bready malt backbone. Hops were not as prevalent as I expected, nor as harsh.

Taste: Surprisingly balanced. The grassy and mild citrus hops are up front, but their bitterness is cut by the malt. There's a mild bitterness in the finish, but nothing major. I'm missing the usual hop 'bite' that I usually get in IPAs. When I first tried this, I thought immediately of SNPA - which is not necessarily a bad thing, but to me, this is more of an American Pale Ale than an IPA. It's an enjoyable beer, but IMO, not the best IPA. The overall flavor is a little watery.

Mouthfeel: Thin, but good carbonation.

Drinkability: It's a good beer, and one I wouldn't mine having several of...if the ABV was lower. It doesn't taste like an IPA, just a regular APA, but has the ABV of an IPA. It's not a bad beer...but not what I would go for if I want an IPA.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Hop Devil by Victory Brewing.

Never had one outta these guys. Let us hope it works out in my favor.

Look - Pours clear amber with a two finger slightly off white head that sticks around like a good father. The carbonation is on low with this one. No cloud formations to speak of. Yet at least. Leaves good lacing. 4.

Smell - Dominated by the malts and a half grapefruit mix. There really isn't a whole lot to say here. Half and half wins this race. 3.25.

Taste - The grapefruit pith is most prevelant really. The malts are certainly there but it is absolutely nothing to write home about. Basic IPA. 3.25.

Feel - Medium carbonation with a slighty watery body. Only thing saving this aspect is the creaminess. 3.

Overall - Blah. Generic as can be, nothing new here. Uninpressive, even for the style. I'd pass in the future. 3.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours an orange/ amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head. Body is a little hazy. Head settles to a thick film. Smell is of malt, also some citrus hops, I think I detect a little bit of a floral smell in there. Taste definitely pins this as an East-coast IPA, Malts come through well along with the citric and pine hop flavors. Mouthfeel is a little thicker than expected for an IPA. Carbonation is on the mild side. This is a fine beer, but it is hard to stand out when everybody and their dog brews an IPA, compared to the entire field of the style, it is lacking a characteristic to make it stand out.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Victory Brewing Hop Devil IPA: It’s time to discuss variety, supposedly the spice of life. Do you try a new beer or go with a tried and true beer, which you know is good. Is the reward of discovering a new great beer worth the risk of having a six pack in the fridge that turned out to be a dud? I have decent list of known great IPA’s. Why try yet another, like the Hop Devil? Well I did. The Hop Devil, once in the glass, has a brown color, very dark for an IPA, and an off-white head. The aroma is more of roasted malt than aromatic hop. The flavor has a back bone of roasted malt, but prominent throughout is a lot of hop bitters. It’s a good IPA, but not as balanced as others and missing the really aromatic flavorful hops that I prefer to have come out in an IPA. So in this case, I should have stayed with one of my tried and true standards in the IPA world. Such are the risks of beer exploration.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours burnt orange with a semi-hazy body. The head never came on strong and was left to a thin film. Aroma was very resinous and filled with pine-like hoppiness. Not as full as I was hoping for. The taste came on very floral and finished with a rough hop bitterness. The hops are very concentrated in the center of the mouth and finish through decently. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied. The hops give way to a small amount of maltiness that comes through as it warms up. I have had much better and much worse IPAs. This is a great example of the style, but not world class to me. I feel as though there could be more complexity to this one.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Moms and pops brought this one back from Pennsylvania for me. Thanks guys.

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a big medium-thin looking 3 finger off-white head or cream colored head with half decent retention. Medium carbonation evident in the form of tiny little bubbles. Burgundy or maroon brown in color. Head recedes to a bubbly foam ring and a wisp, leaving some immediate bubbly lacing. A splotchy wisp remains leaving some lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Pale and caramel malts and mild floral notes. Hops were very subdued here. Not all that much to talk about. Not bad, just not interesting enough for the style.

TASTE: Much better; where did this come from? Pale and caramel malts up front with some floral hops through the middle. Finishes with a good dose of piney floral and bitter hops. A bold and lingering aftertaste is full of piney flavors and a touch of caramel sweetness to balance it out. Good stuff here.

PALATE: Medium-light body with higher end carbonation. Not creamy enough, but goes down fine and finishes slightly dry on the palate. Just doesn't quite measure up.

OVERALL: Definitely an odd one. The taste profile was well balanced and very enjoyable, making it more than drinkable, but the nose was too weak and everything else about it was average at best. I'm honestly not quite sure why this one is rated so highly. Perhaps the bottle was not quite as fresh as it could be, so I'll have to give it another go if I see it on my next trip to the States.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours an amber color with a fairly good sized head. Smells very floral, a little bit of pine, and it's very clear from both the look and the smell that it has a decent malt backbone to it. The taste has a fairly strong bitterness to it which is balanced with a caramel finish. It's a nice, balanced IPA. Not really my favorite, but I also don't think it was as fresh as I'd like. Too much malt for me, not sure if that was due to the hops fading or not.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company