Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,833 | Reviews: 2,482
3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

A: Clear but amber and much darker than other IPAs. A slightly off-white head rises in as fine and pillowy and leaves just a touch of lace

S: Limited aroma, maybe just a very faint citrus

MF: Medium body with nice carbonation, but a bit dry feeling

T: The hops are astringent and biting, but quickly balanced by the malt. The hops flavors are indistinct due to the dominant biscuity malt.

D: I could probably drink more of these due to the malt backbone preventing undue palette crushingness, but it isn't what I look for in an IPA

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. See-thru amber with a generous cap of creamy foam that sticks around for a bit, settling into a thick skim. Nice lacing up top that quickly peters out a half inch down.

Grapefruit zest and flesh aromas put up a strong fight to get through plentiful bready and sweet malts. Impressive assortment of hop flavors- spicy, pungent, earthy and citrusy at once. Quite bitter, too. It's a bit boozy and the malt profile is a little heavy for my taste, mainly bready and toasty (oddly the lingering flavors are chiefly toasted malt, not hops

Overall impression: Not bad, but not memorable.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

Served in a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Cloudy brown coloring with about two fingers of head.

S- Very hoppy scent dominates this beer. Can also detect some spices as well.

T- This is a beer that is bitter from the time it enters your mouth to it's finish. VERY hoppy beer. Can definitely taste some spices as well.

M- Very hoppy beer with a very dry finish.

D- It's definitely extremely hoppy, but it is certainly very drinkable.

Overall a very solid IPA from Victory. Hoppier than I expected it to be. Very good beer though. Definitely recommend it.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

This looked like a red ale. Pour was nice, looked like it was going to taste good, but I was disappointed. It didn't have enough bite for an IPA. I didn't taste a hop explosion, I thought it was one of the more watered down tasting micro-brews I've ever had. I was expecting big taste, but something was missing. Not enough flavor for me. Maybe I had a bad bottle. Didn't compare to many of the other IPAs I've had.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours copper, with a tan, foamy head.and nice lacing. Smell is of hops,pine,and citrus, with a sweet edge. Body is medium,with some carbonation. Taste has a bitter edge,that I thought would be better balanced. The sweetness in the smell was not comming through for me. It's stright bitter from start to finish. Don't get me wrong,this is not a bad beer, but I liked Hazed and Infused much better.

Served in a pint glass

A: pours a slightly hazy, like amber golden color with a nice amount of foamy slightly off white head that lingers, medium lacing

S: very nice hop notes, great citrus and grapefruit notes

T: interesting taste, nice hop notes, slight citrus flavor, something lingers on the palate that is almost like a slight skunkiness

D/M: medium carbonation, smooth drinking, sits a little heavy, lingering taste on the palate is not the best

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

Way too sweet why in the world is the beer rated this high?

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

Picked this up based on store posted Beer Advocate ratings.

A: This beer looked good, a little cloudy, but rich in color.

S: This beer smells like it advertises. Very strong hops.

T: This beer is all hops. Some may dig that, and I do normally, but there wasn't any balance in this beer. It was all bitter hops.

M: Hopdevil left a bitter taste in my mouth for hours after drinking it. I almost wanted to drink something else to clear.

D: I can only do one of these in a sitting. To much bitterness. A touch of sweetness to balance this would make it amazing!

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

Poured into a pint glass a cloudy gold color. Not too much head or lacing to be seen. Had a real hoppy smell with a slight flowery hint. Not too much in the taste though. My it was just the aroma hops? Taste followed suit with the smell and had a pretty hoppy presence in it with just a little bit of malt. Had sort of a lighter mouthfeel to it. Not as hopped up as I expected from the name and the style but I feel it was a pretty good offering.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

12 oz. bottle poured to Hefe glass. Pours amber red with a large white head. Smell is on the floral hop side, very little citrus or pine on this one. Flavor is very malt forward, caramel, toffee, some sweetness. Hops are not particularly present in the flavor, with little citrus or pine influence. Medium carbonation and heavier on the palate than I expected. Overall I was not impressed with this one and suspect I got an old bottle. Will revisit.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

A: snifter. deep rich amber, almost mahogany color, with great clarity. nice off-white head. great head retention and lacing.

S: some wonderful citrus hop aroma with some fruit tones, mostly apples, from the crystal malts.

T: a little spicy at first. very well-balanced with the crystal and the hop selection. A little bit bland at first, but some spices like curry show up in the end.

M: interesting palate. medium bodied. smooth and well-balanced.

D: very nice APA, another good brew from Victory, not their best, but good nonetheless.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

Appearance- poured a nice Amber color but without much head and what was there was gone quickly--there was a slight cloudiness to it though.

Smell-had a very pleasant hoppy aroma with a slight hint of Alcohol. Indiviual aromas were hard to pick out of the complexity of the overall aroma.

Taste-I'm not a hop head but the good malt backbone really helped tame the overall hoppiness. The hops produced a slight grapefruit puckering effect.

Mouthfeel-Had a pleasing light to medium body that was good on the touge. The hop bite was very evident with a small alcohol pepperness to it.

Drinkability-I would definately buy again, however because of the hoppiness I would limit it to 1 to 2 a nite, but I'm not a hop head, yet.

3.34/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a crystal-clear golden orange, with tons of frothy, off-white head that lingers. Tons of lacing. Beautiful looking beer.

Smell: Grassy and mild citrus hops, with a fairly noticeable sweet and bready malt backbone. Hops were not as prevalent as I expected, nor as harsh.

Taste: Surprisingly balanced. The grassy and mild citrus hops are up front, but their bitterness is cut by the malt. There's a mild bitterness in the finish, but nothing major. I'm missing the usual hop 'bite' that I usually get in IPAs. When I first tried this, I thought immediately of SNPA - which is not necessarily a bad thing, but to me, this is more of an American Pale Ale than an IPA. It's an enjoyable beer, but IMO, not the best IPA. The overall flavor is a little watery.

Mouthfeel: Thin, but good carbonation.

Drinkability: It's a good beer, and one I wouldn't mine having several of...if the ABV was lower. It doesn't taste like an IPA, just a regular APA, but has the ABV of an IPA. It's not a bad beer...but not what I would go for if I want an IPA.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours an orange/ amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head. Body is a little hazy. Head settles to a thick film. Smell is of malt, also some citrus hops, I think I detect a little bit of a floral smell in there. Taste definitely pins this as an East-coast IPA, Malts come through well along with the citric and pine hop flavors. Mouthfeel is a little thicker than expected for an IPA. Carbonation is on the mild side. This is a fine beer, but it is hard to stand out when everybody and their dog brews an IPA, compared to the entire field of the style, it is lacking a characteristic to make it stand out.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Victory Brewing Hop Devil IPA: It’s time to discuss variety, supposedly the spice of life. Do you try a new beer or go with a tried and true beer, which you know is good. Is the reward of discovering a new great beer worth the risk of having a six pack in the fridge that turned out to be a dud? I have decent list of known great IPA’s. Why try yet another, like the Hop Devil? Well I did. The Hop Devil, once in the glass, has a brown color, very dark for an IPA, and an off-white head. The aroma is more of roasted malt than aromatic hop. The flavor has a back bone of roasted malt, but prominent throughout is a lot of hop bitters. It’s a good IPA, but not as balanced as others and missing the really aromatic flavorful hops that I prefer to have come out in an IPA. So in this case, I should have stayed with one of my tried and true standards in the IPA world. Such are the risks of beer exploration.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours burnt orange with a semi-hazy body. The head never came on strong and was left to a thin film. Aroma was very resinous and filled with pine-like hoppiness. Not as full as I was hoping for. The taste came on very floral and finished with a rough hop bitterness. The hops are very concentrated in the center of the mouth and finish through decently. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied. The hops give way to a small amount of maltiness that comes through as it warms up. I have had much better and much worse IPAs. This is a great example of the style, but not world class to me. I feel as though there could be more complexity to this one.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Moms and pops brought this one back from Pennsylvania for me. Thanks guys.

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a big medium-thin looking 3 finger off-white head or cream colored head with half decent retention. Medium carbonation evident in the form of tiny little bubbles. Burgundy or maroon brown in color. Head recedes to a bubbly foam ring and a wisp, leaving some immediate bubbly lacing. A splotchy wisp remains leaving some lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Pale and caramel malts and mild floral notes. Hops were very subdued here. Not all that much to talk about. Not bad, just not interesting enough for the style.

TASTE: Much better; where did this come from? Pale and caramel malts up front with some floral hops through the middle. Finishes with a good dose of piney floral and bitter hops. A bold and lingering aftertaste is full of piney flavors and a touch of caramel sweetness to balance it out. Good stuff here.

PALATE: Medium-light body with higher end carbonation. Not creamy enough, but goes down fine and finishes slightly dry on the palate. Just doesn't quite measure up.

OVERALL: Definitely an odd one. The taste profile was well balanced and very enjoyable, making it more than drinkable, but the nose was too weak and everything else about it was average at best. I'm honestly not quite sure why this one is rated so highly. Perhaps the bottle was not quite as fresh as it could be, so I'll have to give it another go if I see it on my next trip to the States.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours an amber color with a fairly good sized head. Smells very floral, a little bit of pine, and it's very clear from both the look and the smell that it has a decent malt backbone to it. The taste has a fairly strong bitterness to it which is balanced with a caramel finish. It's a nice, balanced IPA. Not really my favorite, but I also don't think it was as fresh as I'd like. Too much malt for me, not sure if that was due to the hops fading or not.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

I think I may have a bad six pack, very bitter, almost soap like aftertaste.

It pours an amber color with 1.5 inches of head that leaves a nice lacing down the glass.

Smells piny and sweet. A nice smelling IPA.

Taste is pleasant. Hop bitterness up front with a caramel sweetness in the middle. Aftertaste is like soap, and no I don't wash my glass with soap. Bought a 6 back 5 had this (1 a drain-pour) and 1 fantastic one. Awesome on tap.

Nice mouthfeel, nicely carbonated. Coats the mouth, but not overly so.

Drinkability suffers cause of the aftertaste.

Like I said, probably a bad six pack, and will be re-reviewed if I get one that isn't like this. Not very pleasant this time.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

A- Pours a deep golden ale that is very bubbly. Thin, thigh head that has some retention and little lacing.

S- Faint hops but a very malt forward beer. A little grass but mostly oaky, roasted malts.

T- More malt heavy than smell leads you into. I have no hop character at all. Munich malts are prevalent as is a oak/wood finish.

M- Has a heavy feel in the mouth that is sticky and dry. Very easy to drink and could consume a couple rather quickly.

O- Strangely, I am really enjoying this beer, just not as an IPA. Has characteristics of amber ale and pale ales from Europe. I opened this Expecting an IPA and am disappointed by what I got. I will, though, try more of Victory's beers.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured into glass. Rich, amber color with a 2-3 finger head. Noticed a good amount of carbonation.

Mild citrus smell - not too powerful rounded out with a decent malt.

When imbibed, noticed a firm malt-base and finished with a moderate bitter kick that lingered. Had a creamy mouthfeel.

I am not sure about everyone else but this came across as more of an English IPA then American. I say so due to the more balanced flavor of the brew (malt), reminded me a lot of McEwan's IPA (which I have read is a repackaged Special Import). This would be a nice session beer but personally, I would have wanted a lot more hops for a beer calling itself a "Hop Devil."

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Looks like a very robust color for the style. Love the white lacing on the side of the glass. Off smells of cat urine and dog feces. ( I smell these in many dipas).
The taste shines on this one. Refreshing, wet, and bitter. Nice malts to sooth that ohhh so good bitterness. Some peach, mango, and pineapple try to come through. A very strong hop bitter aftertaste. This is a rather moist Ipa. A very good offering from Victory.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Hoppy ales aren't my favorite to begin with but this beer is decent. I didn't have that "cop from Dumb and Dumber face before they offered him a Tic Tac" look on my face. It lacks the overpowering bitterness I've found in many hopped-up ales. I could detect a hint of some sort of sweet fruit flavor in there. Maybe orange? Who the hell knows? Nice dark gold color... Like the first pee in the morning after a long night of drinking. AND it's 6.7% alcohol, which is nice.

NOTE: A year and a half later I have developed a great liking for IPAs and would like to review this beer again. I bet I would like it better now...

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%

A: Pours a very dark amber, very clear with minimal head and decent lacing.

S: lots of malt with a hint of hops

T: first taste was very malty, sweet and bready... to me this tastes like a slightly hoppy Fat Tire. If that's what you're into this is probably great but I prefer more dry hopped taste.

M: Feel is good, a bit oily and creamy with some good carbonation to hop balance. Probably the best aspect of this brew IMO.

D: Not sure I could down much more than one or two of these, very heavy and malty.

Caveat: I do prefer more hop forward beers and less malt so if you prefer a good balanced beer you might enjoy this one. I'd say give it a try and see for yourself!

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%

Reviewed on 7/10/08. On cask at Blind Tiger. Pours a cloudy brown with a bubbly white head. Aroma is very fruity with citrus hops lingering in the background. Also smells like red grape juice. Flavor is less fruity initially as the aroma with more hop bitterness. A very odd IPA- I got roasted malts, soda, apples, raisin, and alcohol. I've never had this beer before, but it seems that it's quite different on cask. Interesting and not really at all like an IPA.
7/3/7/3/14 (3.4/5)