Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,452 | Hads: 6,968
3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

I think I may have a bad six pack, very bitter, almost soap like aftertaste.

It pours an amber color with 1.5 inches of head that leaves a nice lacing down the glass.

Smells piny and sweet. A nice smelling IPA.

Taste is pleasant. Hop bitterness up front with a caramel sweetness in the middle. Aftertaste is like soap, and no I don't wash my glass with soap. Bought a 6 back 5 had this (1 a drain-pour) and 1 fantastic one. Awesome on tap.

Nice mouthfeel, nicely carbonated. Coats the mouth, but not overly so.

Drinkability suffers cause of the aftertaste.

Like I said, probably a bad six pack, and will be re-reviewed if I get one that isn't like this. Not very pleasant this time.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

A- Pours a deep golden ale that is very bubbly. Thin, thigh head that has some retention and little lacing.

S- Faint hops but a very malt forward beer. A little grass but mostly oaky, roasted malts.

T- More malt heavy than smell leads you into. I have no hop character at all. Munich malts are prevalent as is a oak/wood finish.

M- Has a heavy feel in the mouth that is sticky and dry. Very easy to drink and could consume a couple rather quickly.

O- Strangely, I am really enjoying this beer, just not as an IPA. Has characteristics of amber ale and pale ales from Europe. I opened this Expecting an IPA and am disappointed by what I got. I will, though, try more of Victory's beers.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured into glass. Rich, amber color with a 2-3 finger head. Noticed a good amount of carbonation.

Mild citrus smell - not too powerful rounded out with a decent malt.

When imbibed, noticed a firm malt-base and finished with a moderate bitter kick that lingered. Had a creamy mouthfeel.

I am not sure about everyone else but this came across as more of an English IPA then American. I say so due to the more balanced flavor of the brew (malt), reminded me a lot of McEwan's IPA (which I have read is a repackaged Special Import). This would be a nice session beer but personally, I would have wanted a lot more hops for a beer calling itself a "Hop Devil."

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Looks like a very robust color for the style. Love the white lacing on the side of the glass. Off smells of cat urine and dog feces. ( I smell these in many dipas).
The taste shines on this one. Refreshing, wet, and bitter. Nice malts to sooth that ohhh so good bitterness. Some peach, mango, and pineapple try to come through. A very strong hop bitter aftertaste. This is a rather moist Ipa. A very good offering from Victory.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Hoppy ales aren't my favorite to begin with but this beer is decent. I didn't have that "cop from Dumb and Dumber face before they offered him a Tic Tac" look on my face. It lacks the overpowering bitterness I've found in many hopped-up ales. I could detect a hint of some sort of sweet fruit flavor in there. Maybe orange? Who the hell knows? Nice dark gold color... Like the first pee in the morning after a long night of drinking. AND it's 6.7% alcohol, which is nice.

NOTE: A year and a half later I have developed a great liking for IPAs and would like to review this beer again. I bet I would like it better now...

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%

A: Pours a very dark amber, very clear with minimal head and decent lacing.

S: lots of malt with a hint of hops

T: first taste was very malty, sweet and bready... to me this tastes like a slightly hoppy Fat Tire. If that's what you're into this is probably great but I prefer more dry hopped taste.

M: Feel is good, a bit oily and creamy with some good carbonation to hop balance. Probably the best aspect of this brew IMO.

D: Not sure I could down much more than one or two of these, very heavy and malty.

Caveat: I do prefer more hop forward beers and less malt so if you prefer a good balanced beer you might enjoy this one. I'd say give it a try and see for yourself!

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%

Reviewed on 7/10/08. On cask at Blind Tiger. Pours a cloudy brown with a bubbly white head. Aroma is very fruity with citrus hops lingering in the background. Also smells like red grape juice. Flavor is less fruity initially as the aroma with more hop bitterness. A very odd IPA- I got roasted malts, soda, apples, raisin, and alcohol. I've never had this beer before, but it seems that it's quite different on cask. Interesting and not really at all like an IPA.
7/3/7/3/14 (3.4/5)

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%

A- Deep orange-red with surprisingly little head or lacing. Looks kind of hazy.

S- Very sweet-smelling with caramel malt and citrusy hops.

T- Malt presence is quite strong here. Toasted, caramelly flavors abound. Hops are certainly there with an orangey flavor, but are not as prominent as I was expecting. Alcohol pops up every once in a while too. Fairly high bitterness on the finish.

M- Nice medium-bodied mouthfeel. Carbonation is pretty strong here.

D- Good drinkability, not great, but good. I could put down a couple of these, but not more than that.

Eh, I wasn't that impressed with this one. I was expecting more. The hops weren't as prominent as I had hoped. The balance between malt and hops was good no doubt, but the hop flavor was rather nondescript. It's alright, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. I had it on tap once and it was much better.

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I love Victory DirtWolf so I had high hopes for this brew. Appearance, smell and mouthfeel was all good, but I was disappointed in the taste.
However, I then remembered that DirtWolf was a DIPA, and comparing wasn't fair, nor the intent of these reviews.
As a IPA, this was a good beer. No citrusy taste, but good hops and flavor.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this one awhile back, thought I would give it another shot. Now I remember why I haven't had it in awhile.

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: Dark Amber with a small white head.

S: Bitter smell of hops which is mostly masked by sweet malt.

T: Not as hoppy as anticipated. For me this was dominated by malt.

M: Medium body with light carbonation.

O: I don't think this was as fresh as it could have been...the best drink date is several months away but this was mostly dominated by malts and not the hops I was lookign forward to. Will probably revisit this beer 6 months down the road.

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

This beer is extremely over-rated. It smells and looks good, but the flavor is so unbalanced. Left me with a dry mouth feel. I'm glad someone gave it to me and I didn't buy the six pack.
I love IPA's but I prefer a balanced taste like a 90 min DFH.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

actually had a chance to try this beer twice, the latter by accident.

forgot i had already had it. it poured nicely, golden cloudy, with a decent head, but that faded quickly.

aroma was citrus, but the taste was quite muted, not too much hopping devil wise. don't get me wrong, it went down just fine.

not too disappointed, but the 'hop devil' moniker had me prepared for more than advertised.

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

It pours a light amber with a decent white head that lasts about 1 minute, light lacing.

The smell is all hops, nothing else on the nose.

The taste is ok, nothing but hops again. Not a great finish. Pretty drinkable.

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

Good go on west-coast style ultra-hopped IPA and is very drinkable...but it doesn't quite hit the mark for me. I think it's the strong malt that I find a bit distracting, but others of course may find this characteristic appealing. Would I drink it every day? Pronably if it was the only hop-tastic beer I could get my hands on, but alas there's lots of options, even here in NoVA. Thanks for the effort Victory!

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured from bottle into 22 ounce glass.. Slight head that remained in this light copper coloured beer.. Has hoppy taste that is not too bad overall.. Lace left on glass after finishing, leaves slight after taste... Will buy again next year in a six pack..

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours a pale bronze with a nice 1/8" of creamy tan head. tons of creamy lacing and sticking.

OMG this is beer? Super faint, almost non existant aroma. There is some faint hints of apple, pear and a hint of melon.

The flavor is also a bit thin. This is a far cry from what I remembered this beer to be. This beer ought to be called Hop Angel but, that's to angelic. This beer is decent not more.

It feels thin for an IPA. Reminds me of a basic IPA. Surpiring. I remember this beer being a lot more hoppy.

This beer is as drinkable as a glass of water. Yum but what happend to the hops?

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours a reddish-gold color with a somewhat soapy white head. This one is surprisingly malty on the nose, with hints of caramel and toffee, along with somewhat muted hops. This is a very balanced beer, almost more malt than hops. Having had this one a number of times I still don't get all the hype. Not bad, but nowhere near the level of the west coast IPAs.

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Made a deal with Beelzebub with this one on 4/29/2005. 16-oz. pint served up unchilled at the Cambridge Common.

Scampy film of pons major and minor covering with a fair amount of stuck and lace throughout the pour. Mahogany hue with a rose tint and some haze, though probably due to some chill, and good action. Caramel, light toffee on nose with some biting hop, though somewhat subdued given the moniker. Surprised by how buttery this is on the mouth as I expected much more of an up front hop bite, but that appears after the over-buttered toast slides off the palate; rose hip and roasted onion touches.

This is a fine offering, but I found it wanting due in large part to its buttery aspects.

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Found this in San Diego and was excited to try it after not having easy access to Victory beers in the Bay Area. Pint glass pour and I am met with a copper colored ale with a bubbly foamy head which stays throughout the session and produces a ton of lacing. The aroma is a major malt bomb. Bready, doughy almost a skunky beer smell. I wasn't really impressed with the taste. I was expecting a major hop explosion but it was not to be. Subdued hops are present with a lot of maltiness going on. There is an odd aftertaste which is present far too long. It wasn't an overall difficult beer to consume, but multiples were not in the cards for me...though I'm sure it would be for many others. Just didn't dig it that much unfortunately.

3.27/5  rDev -19.7%

Drank this beer with my good friend William Pang (Queens, NY).

Poured a murky dark copper color with a medium off-white head and good lacing.
Not much smell to report, but the little that is there is a fruity sweetness that says nothing of the hops in this beer.
The taste is very similar to the smell. Not as much hops initially as I expected. Much more sweet malt flavor than hops at first, but eventually moves aside to reveal the hoppy bitterness I was promised.
Thin mouthfeel, well carbonated, and definitely bitter on the tail end. Very dry finish.
Not a great IPA, mostly because of the lack of stinging hop character. However, definitely a good beer that I could handle a few of in each sitting.

3.26/5  rDev -19.9%

Was honestly surprised by this beer. I expected a good brew from Victory, but usually beers with "hop" in the name don't deliver for me. But with this beer I was wrong, it was definitely niice and hoppy. The smell was a lot earthier than I had expected, it had a lot of straw/hay scent, along with caramel and hops. Taste was nice and balanced. A good beer to find at the sandwich shop around the corner - salud!

A - typical for American IPA's deep red, shorter head on this one

S - Hops and some more hops....reminds me of that smell in the morning when camping in the fall, here, in the northeast

T - hoppy, hoppy and not so many other flavors

M - hits your whole tongue with hops and I think finishes more bitter than most AIPA's

D - nice and simple, great IPA

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

This beer smelled good with a nice strong and smooth hop aroma, but not quite as nice as a Magic Hat Blind Faith. When it hit my tongue there was a definite hop bitterness, but the malt did a good job of keeping it balanced. It felt rather nice in the mouth too. It started to go down fairly easily, but towards the end of the swallow the fairly harsh hop bitterness showed up, and it left a fairly harsh aftertaste. The harsh bitterness on the back of my tongue remained for the entire time I was drinking the beer, but it became a bit more subdued as my tastebuds acclimated to it.

I wouldn't drink more than one or two of these in a session, especially if a smoother IPA was available. Definitely a good beer, but not amazingly drinkable.

Notes from 10/17/10

A:Pours a copper/amber color with a small head that falls rather quickly, decent lacing
left down the glass

S:Smells of a spicy hop character with a little but of bready malts in there as well

T:Not sure what they have going on here but I get that spicey hop flavor again with
a little balance out from the malt in the middle but that spiciness lingers on the tongue.

M:Body is fairly thinner than medium with not much carbonation

D:This is a all right brew, the spiciness kinda of threw me off of it thou. I not really a big spicy fan so this one did not sit to well for me, but if you like that kind of action I would say you should seek this one out

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

Bottle. Pours about an inch worth of creamy white head that sticks around. Transparent orange color. Smell is soapy, piney, and a little citrus hop aroma. Slightly sour taste with some pine and hop flavor. Not a bad tasting beer. Very drinkable and pretty good.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company