Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
1Adam12

Indiana

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

Light burn orange in color. Nice frothy head. Smells hoppy, smells of caramel, maybe a bit of grapefruit, and other citrus. Lots of hops on the tongue, a bit of citrus, all be it not that much. Myabe a bit of rye? Tastes sweet with no bitterness. Not a good finish. Taste just dies off. Mouthfeel is light and carbonated, awesome on a hot day. Not the best I've ever had by far, but very drinkable and a nice hoppy brew.

07-25-2011 23:18:35 | More by 1Adam12
zimm421

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Appears a dark amber to copper color with a thick, off-white two inch head.

Smells oddly sweet. The malts really stand out, lots of caramel. There are also some nice hop malts, mostly pine and some earthy scents. Very well balanced overall. Something just seems off here. I thought maybe it was just the batch, but bought it a few months later and I'm getting the same scents this time. The taste is also fairly well balanced at first, but finishes very bitter. The hops don't seem to fit well with the rest of the flavors, and are actually kind of laid back, and slightly disappointing.

The mouthfeel is very creamy, full-bodied, and slightly below average in carbonation. It is actually quite drinkable because of the balance, but this would probably work better on an autumn evening, not a summer one. Overall, I've definitely had better, and this just doesn't seem to sit well with me.

07-23-2010 22:26:10 | More by zimm421
Gmann

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a slightly hazy blood orange color with a small dense off-white head, not much lacing. The smell is piney with a hint of grapefruit, honey and malt. The taste is grapefruit rind up front and center, a decent toasted malt backbone, some resin. I just discovered that this is an old bottle so some of the fresh hop taste is obviously gone, arg! Still a good hop flavor, though. The feel is moderate and has a creamy texture, there is a bitterness that kind of numbs the palate. A good AIPA, though I feel I missed out on some of the fresh hops due to the old bottle. I look forward to trying a fresh sample.

07-04-2007 03:20:08 | More by Gmann
toolbrew

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

Bought this beer on a whim because I like my hops.

It poured a nice clear golden brown, almost honey color with a thick white head.

The scent wasn't too strong with any flavor. Slightly hoppy aroma.

The taste was a little watery but you could tell that it's an IPA.

Mouthfeel is nice for an IPA. Not too overwhelming in any particular area. Not too watery and everything fits into place.

I could see myself drinking a few of these at a time. Good session beer.

03-07-2008 04:31:14 | More by toolbrew
anycrew

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured this beer into an English tulip pint.
This beer has a a slightly tan head with that quickly diminishes. Has good carbonation with no lacing. Pours a nice copper color that I expect from an IPA. Does not have a large amount of sedimentation.
The smell of hops is not very strong. It smells more like honey and that liquid malt extract smell.
I liked the taste of the beer. i thought it was bittered nicely but it could use more of a fresh flower or fruit taste in the beginning. Has more of a malty finish that is quite nice.
Nice mouthfeel on this one. Coats the palate nicely with a lingering flavor of malt and hops. Bitterness does not overpower.
This is a very drinkable beer. Very smooth. Could easily drink 3 in a session

03-21-2010 20:41:57 | More by anycrew
EPseja

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

I can't believe it's taken so long for me to get around to rating this beer. Served from a 12oz. bottle in my SABL glass at between fridge and cellar temperature.

A - Vibrant, slightly hazed tarnished orange with a fairly viscous pour and a thick but frail butter cream head that slowly diminishes to a thin veil atop the liquid. Head retention and lacing are both fair.

S - Summery, green hops -- juicy citrus like honeyed grapefruit. Dried hop pellets swirling in cold wort. Pretty straightforward and pleasing.

T - Lightly sweet with caramel maltiness that soon gives way to a spice-laden hoppiness and a spritz of alcohol. Really gets dry in the middle and end, and the aftertaste is green and slightly astringent.

M - Cohesive and substantive. Tingly without being tongue-numbing, and puffing in the mouth to a soapy froth. Swallow is a wash of suds that is lightly belly-filling from the carbonation.

D - A good AIPA, but to me, not the best showcase of the style. Could use a smidge more malt up front to give a better initial footing on the journey into bittnerness. Tasty, but it doesn't leave me aching for another.

11-30-2008 02:55:02 | More by EPseja
Moses13

08-13-2014 23:28:00 | More by Moses13
hopflyer

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

Deep golden, clear, one finger head.

Earthy, musty smell. A bit different. Mixed with some white bread.

Deep bitterness from the get go balanced with some faint sweetness. Has an almost apple-like acidity mixed with a bit of pear fruitiness. Strange spice like flavor that I can't quite gather.

Medium body with medium to low carbonation. A bit viscous and wet.

Not what I remembered. Doesn't have a pop on the hop profile but rather a smooth-like earthy undertone carried by a malt backbone.

07-02-2014 04:41:24 | More by hopflyer
Zekezilla

Maryland

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

Reading all of these rave reviews, I'm wondering if the very hoppy beer I had before this one affected my taste. I was underwhelmed. Had this @ the Parkside Tavern in Baltimore.
appearance: minimum head, almost no lacing. The hops were there and it's very smooth but expected much more, given the name and the previous reviews. Will try again to see if I just had an "off experience."

04-28-2010 23:41:20 | More by Zekezilla
tbeckett

Ontario (Canada)

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

Bottle from the Potsdam IGA. Bottle notes 'Enjoy by Jan 11.' I'm confused as to how this is so past it's prime. From notes.

A - Poured a copper colour with nice streams of carbonation coming up. Bright. Two finger cream coloured head with a creamy texture and lot's of chunky lace and a half finger of retention.

S - Citrusy, floral, bready.

T - Grapefruit, bready, caramel, citrus, resins. Seems a little weak, which is to be expected for the date. Malt offers more balance than is typical for the style.

M - Medium bitterness, dry, good carbonatgion, medium to full body.

O/D - Not sure how I should rate this. I enjoyed the beer but I understood the potential of it had it not been so out of date. I can see the potential for it's IPA hop profile to shine through more heavily, however it didn't on this sample. Still a good beer this time 'round.

10-17-2011 18:28:51 | More by tbeckett
msubulldog25

Oregon

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

On-tap pint poured at Henry's tavern in Portland, OR.

A: Glowing red and orange, like a sunset, with a pillowy/spongy-looking tan head, approx. 1 finger high. Very clear with little carbonation.

S: Not as big a hop nose as I'd hoped for. There is a subtle but good smelling floral and pine hop aroma present. However, I found the smell slightly musty and hinting on metallic.

T: Decent taste, but seems an imbalance toward bitterness. Hop portion of the flavor comes off as sort of flat or chalky. The malt that is present gives a very light sweetness. Tastes weaker than I'd expected, more of an "imp" than a "devil"...a Pale Ale?

M: Mouthfeel is medium. Has a good clean finish, but with more lingering bitterness. I also found this to be quite dry. Does have a creaminess and full flavors which I like.

D: Yes, a good beer. I like a more balanced IPA than this one so I would probably not make this beer my first choice. Drinkable but I've had better - this surprises me because of the fine reviews I've read here & elsewhere. Will have at least once more before making a final judgement.

08-08-2006 00:48:12 | More by msubulldog25
Ralphus

Ontario (Canada)

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

I first had Victory Hop Devil at a bar in the Philidelphia airport. It was on tap and for a beer at 9am served with a breakfast of greasy sausages and eggs it went down pretty well. Today I'm reviewing the bottled version which tastes remarkably similar.

It pours a clear but medium caramel colour body and a small offwhite head that settles to practically nothing in just a few minutes.

The smell is mostly of fruity sweet malts with some hops mixed in.

The taste is very hop dominated.. strong hops, pine and grapefruit hit you and overwhelm the taste. Where are the sweet malts? Where are the fruity yeasts? Not here unfortunately. I enjoy hops as much as the next hop head but nothing but hops isn't terribly rewarding.

Mouthfeel is good and the carbonation is refreshing. Drinkability is better than average.

07-26-2009 21:07:54 | More by Ralphus
dukedevil0

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

Picked up a 6-pack from Binny's in Lakeview.

A: Looks very nice. Pours a clear amber color with a white head that settles down to a fine layer at the top of the beer. Slight lacing left on the glass after drinking.

S: Floral, earth hop smell with citrus.

T: Similar to the smell, with some floral, earthy hops and citrus. Slightly sweet at first, but some bitterness kicks in for most of the gulp.

M: Good amount of carbonation, but very smooth feel in the mouth.

D: Slightly overly bitter and not quite enough sweet to make this as drinkable as I'd want. The alcohol isn't very noticeable so if someone likes the flavor a lot, then I bet they could throw back a few.

Overall I just wish there was a little more sweet and slightly less bitter to make it more enjoyable to me. Something I would drink occasionally, but probably not seek out to purchase.

11-21-2008 01:45:02 | More by dukedevil0
schoolcb

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a medium amber with a very frothy tan head. Fairly clear. First wiff is all hops. Flavor is decidedly balanced on the hop end of the spectrum, but there is enough hop backbone to keep it from being too hoppy. Medium bodied. Hop flavor dominates. Did I say that already? Definately an American IPA. If you are a hop head you'll like this one. Burrrpppp, dang those hops don't stop!

04-23-2006 22:34:36 | More by schoolcb
FanofHefe

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Nice light orange color with a small head. Very light lacing.

Good hop aroma with some pine resin and citrus/grapefruit notes.

Solid hop flavor with a tasty hop/bitter taste and very little malt balance. Works well for this offering.

Solid IPA leaning more toward the hoppy side vs. the malty side. Enjoyed enough to order a second one at the restaurant. IPA lovers should give this a try.

10-28-2010 02:32:06 | More by FanofHefe
Meerkey

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

A: Some white-ish bubbly head. Dark, rich amber. Hardly any bubbles.

S: Quite hoppy. Some citrus and pine. Some sweet, grainy malts.

T: Piney hops. A little grapefruit. A bit sweet in the back of my throat. Not bad.

M: Strong, full, carbonated.

O: Not bad. I'm just not terribly impressed. Quite drinkable.

07-15-2011 00:02:34 | More by Meerkey
IchLiebeBier

3.59/5  rDev -12%

Appearance: amber, slightly hazy; small frothy head; slight lacing

Smell: sweet, bready malts with a big whiff of citrusy hops

Taste: Juicy malt with a big hit of hops; finishes with piney notes and a dry, lingering aftertaste

Mouthfeel: slightly creamy

Remarks: don't like the hop flavors in this one; it would probably be a decent IPA if I liked American hops

12-22-2013 22:51:56 | More by IchLiebeBier
ByTor2112

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours a nice amber/dark orange color. Looks like a shade of pine resin that has hardened. Full blown hops aroma. Like sniffing a bag of Columbus or Amarillo hop pellets. A faint hint of Grapefruit is the only citrus note. Hops hit the palate and linger like a bad habit. The finish is more intense than the initial bitterness. A good froth while almost chewing and rolling this ale elicits a few malt flavors. I had this for the first time over three years ago but forgot how the hops literally bite back on the finifsh. Killer! love it! I agree with the previous review about only drinking one or two. Cheers!

07-17-2006 11:45:18 | More by ByTor2112
wspscott

Kentucky

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

12oz bottle in Sam Adams glass (no date)

A: A dark copper color with a little bit of haze, darker than the usual American IPA, off-white head leaves lots of lace.
S: Relatively muted nose, a little bit of pine, not much else. As it warms, a little bit of yeasty fruitiness
T: Lots of bittering hops, seems to be lacking in flavor/aroma additions, a little bit of caramel.
M: Lots of carbonation, on the high side for the style, well attenuated, crisp
D: A nice example of the style, but not a great one. Worth trying, but I am puzzled by all of the high reviews. I would not buy again given the price.

01-09-2010 00:35:16 | More by wspscott
BierFan

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. Expiration date on the bottle of June 02 09.

Small light tan head and a dark orange body. Malty sweetness and grapefruit in the aroma. Whole mess of pine in the taste. More bitterness and pine flavors than I expected it to have. Really good though.

03-31-2009 23:19:21 | More by BierFan
claminat420

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

A- slightly transparent amber color with a slight off white two finger head. light to medium lacing.

S- alil fruity (not hoppy grapefruit) for an ipa.

T- nothing to crazy. as an ipa i would expect more of a hop attack and for this one it's kinda light. still good tho.

M- light bodied. nice carbonation.

D- very good. prolly drink a whole 6 no problem.

Overall- start off negative.... for the name hop devil i was expecting more of a hop attack. other then that it's pretty good. i would say this is a good ipa to those who aren't crazy about a heavy hop load like bell's two hearted and what not. i give it a thumbs up no prob.

10-04-2009 07:03:22 | More by claminat420
Theitos

Louisiana

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

A: Poured a clear orange/amber color. There is a bout a pinky's worth of head that stays. Decent amount of lacing.

S: A nice hop smell. I can smell some citrus.

T: A nice balanced hop flavor with earthy undertones. It has a grapefruit taste. Overall a nice pleasant taste.

M: Smooth feel. There's no bite to the beer.

O: The overall taste is very pleasant. There's a nice mix of citrus and bitterness. I would drink this again and I would serve it to someone who is starting to get use to hoppy beer.

01-08-2012 20:05:50 | More by Theitos
speter

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

12-ounce bottle into imperial pint glass.

A: Pours a clear, rich amber color with 3 fingers of head that leaves nice lacing.

S: One word: hops. Citrus, rather than pine.

T: Hops, start to finish. While this is of course what one would expect from a beer called HopDevil, I thought the balance wasn't what it should have been. I got just a hint of malt in the center, and I'd have liked a bit more. The bracing bitterness up front was good, and the hoppy finish is good, but more complexity is needed.

M: The body is just right, as is the carbonation.

D: It's drinkable if you want hops, hops, and more hops. I'd have no problem knocking back a couple of these.

01-23-2010 02:08:11 | More by speter
sonicdescent

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

On paper, this is a good beer. By style, this is a good beer. I just can't figure out why then I am not a huge fan.

Appears a nice gold. Smells a bit weak, but obviously hops are present with pine being the most prevalent of scents. Tastes comparable to Stone's regular IPA offering, which I do like. Just missing..something that I can't put my finger on.

02-21-2009 22:00:41 | More by sonicdescent
mdfb79

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

From 01/22/12 notes. Picked up a bottle of this on Friday at Stateline in MD. 12 oz. bottle poured into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a somewhat transparent reddish amber color with moderate carbonation evident and one finger of fluffy off white head. Light lacing left on the glass.

s - Smells of fruity malts, pine hops, caramel malts, grapefruit, and citrus hops. Hops are there but not overly strong, and more malts than I was expecting.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, pine hops, fruity malts, pale malts, caramel malts. taste has more hops than the nose but is still decently malty, and has some lightly bitter to it. A step up from the nose to me.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation, with some light bitterness.

o - Overall a nice IPA, though I was expecting it to be hoppier. A nice mix of hops and malts, and pretty easy to drink. Would give another shot sometime.

01-23-2012 16:35:07 | More by mdfb79