2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,292 | Reviews: 2,353 | Show All Ratings:
B967ierhunter177

1.35/5  rDev -67%

This beer pours a cloudy rust color with no head or lacing. The aroma is of caramel and fruity hops. The flavor leads with caramel and citrus notes but is followed by nothing but overwhelming hop bitterness. It's got a thick mouthfeel and leaves a very bitter aftertaste that lasts way too long. Victory HopDevil is a pure hop bomb, it fits the style but the bitterness is over the top. Not recommended!

08-17-2011 00:31:25 | More by B967ierhunter177
greenbean3

Tennessee

1.7/5  rDev -58.4%

Used to love this beer while living in PA. Don't understand what happened to this beer. Apperance: great. An aluring dark amber color. Smell is also good. Taste: nasty metallic after taste. What happened to this beer? Definitely down hill from previous offerings. What went wrong?

05-29-2010 04:29:40 | More by greenbean3
icefisherman

1.8/5  rDev -56%

ok well i will be the first to tell you im not a big ipa fan but i pulled this at mystery beer so i drank it at mystery beer. it started off ok it looked like a good beer it smelled like a ok beer and then all hell broke loose it taste verry verry hoppy not my style at all more hoppy then any other ipa ive had which ads to the mouth feel of a thousand razorblades slicing my tonge i think i would rather drink corona than this cheap gypsy swill again

12-12-2005 18:52:53 | More by icefisherman
beercat11

1.9/5  rDev -53.5%

I had this beer many moons ago and enjoyed it much. I recently bought it again due to slim selection. This beer is not what it used to be. I am seeing more and more that companies that have had a good history of serving up great beers are falling short more and more. I guess nothing is sacred anymore, even good beer in the current world of greed and corner cutting. Thanks alot Victory. Count me out.

01-18-2011 21:18:08 | More by beercat11
ken2cart1

2.03/5  rDev -50.4%

A- light mahogany, lbig 1 inch frothy head

S- def a solid caramel backbone, fruit hopsmell in there, but not as much hop smell as an ipa should

T- wheres the hops? decent bitterness, but no hop flavor, watery, matallic taste, HAS THIS BEER GONE BAD?

m- WATERY

D- not enjoyable at all

08-08-2009 23:43:39 | More by ken2cart1
ttu94

2.08/5  rDev -49.1%

I was very hesitant to write this review. American IPA's are my favorite style of brew. This beer is highly recommended so I thought it must be good. After drinking my first I thought I had a bad bottle. It was poor, make that very poor for any style of beer. I did not write a review cause I thought I must have a bad batch. 4 weeks later I buy another sixer. Same crap! This time I did a blind taste test with Broken Halo, Avery IPA, Great Divide IPA, and this mess. I could pick this thing out blindfolded every time, and not for good reasons.
It looks good nice color and head. But that is where good ends and bad to worse starts. It smells like a decent IPA with malts and lots of hops but then a whiff of, (I don't know what) hits me. I really don't know what to call it, plastic? or soap. Whatever the smell is it is even more prevalent in the taste. A very distinctive yuck aftertaste. To its credit the beer is much better as it warms but I will be very gun shy about trying another.

06-23-2007 04:34:45 | More by ttu94
hoptrip619

2.15/5  rDev -47.4%

A - Poured a dark amber/copper into a clean pint glass. Appears to be lightly carbonated w/o much head.

S - Smells like a bum farted onto a pine cone... Seriously... The bottle reads "Enjoy by Sept 19 2010"

T - Cheesy hop flavor, combined with a saltwater taffy malt character, and a lingering resinous bitterness.

M - Medium body, flaccid carbonation

D - I've heard good things but please stop shipping your beer to California if it's going to arrive ruined.

07-21-2010 20:34:57 | More by hoptrip619
mikethebeerguy

Maryland

2.18/5  rDev -46.7%

All in all not a great taste. They threw a ton of spices together and prayed... an overpowering taste of hops. Very heavy flavor. I guess a lot of people are into that though. Not me though, not a smooth beer and certainly not good flavor. I would not recommend this overpriced and overrated beer to anyone.

09-22-2013 22:15:27 | More by mikethebeerguy
evanackerman

2.23/5  rDev -45.5%

wow, i was very disappointed with this one, there is no balance to this brew just over the top hops, this needs some malt flavor very badly. aroma is very strange and not plesant, i wish i would not have bought an entire six pack of this.

I ususally like highly hopped beers but this one is just too one-dimensional, i guess most others disagree but i can't understand why this is so highly rated.

11-05-2005 01:51:54 | More by evanackerman
DarthMalt

2.25/5  rDev -45%

Ouch! Hop Devil deilivers, as promised. There's definitely a time and place for beers like this. Hopefully, I'll find one or the other, so that my tongue didn't writhe in vain.

"Would you like some malt to go with those hops?"

06-24-2002 11:00:48 | More by DarthMalt
mjrtoo

2.3/5  rDev -43.8%

Pours a translucent amber color as you would expect, with little head. Upon the first sniff I proclaimed to myself 'It smells like Budweiser' and to me, it does, absolutely nothing here for me in the smell department. Upon taste, it kinda tastes like budweiser too, although with the typical hoppy bitterness of ales. The mouthfeel is very bright on the tounge, too much carbonation for my tastes. I suppose this might be a good session beer if you want something like an american lager with hops. But I might recommend looking for something else in the American IPA department.

01-10-2008 01:11:27 | More by mjrtoo
ChadQuest

2.3/5  rDev -43.8%

This bottle was poured into my samual adams perfect pint glass i purchased at the sycamore Hy-Vee for $2.95 that i rinsed and let air dry before serving beverages. Glass temperature was room temp which is about 60 degrees.

Pour has a solid head about 3 fingers tall and leaves lacing. The color is dark for an ipa by todays standards, and i say is a dead on match to "alloy orange", with the hex triplet code #C46210. google it.

Aroma lets you know this is an IPA, kinda. There are a bit more then a balanced load of hops poking out of here but not by much. A notion of Grapefruits amid evergreen saps float barely over some toasted caramel malts.

The flavors are more unimpressive, IPAs have really evolved a long way since this was a top tier offering, and really shows how uni-dimensional the use of cascade hops can be. That said this comes out as a beer that tastes exactly like you would expect in that there is grapefruit/citrus, some pine notes, layered over a caramel backbone. sounds like a blueprint for mediocrity.

The mouthfeel is slightly low in carbonation from center, resulting in a slightly sweeter finish and creamy feel. Needs to be dryer.

11-23-2011 06:00:18 | More by ChadQuest
GRG1313

2.5/5  rDev -38.9%

Pours a medium copper color with a nice short but firm white head.

Nose is Sweet malt and ripe peaches (no hop character in nose) but a very pleasant almost assertive "good Belgian" nose.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, no creamy character but with huge hop bitter flavors with underlying lightly sweet malt. Bitter hops and malt to not juxstapose well; not well balanced and the layers are not integrated. Very bitter pine resin flavors that are inconsistent with the nose that is not the floral dry hop character or the pineapple character of a big hoppy beer but more candi sugar.

Flavors are not consistent with nose at all. There is no bright character, no crisp, clean or desireable character to the flavors of this beer. It's sort of "bitter for bitter's sake."

Finish is the biggest bitter (unpleasant) pine resin character I've had to date, and not a good bitterness but a "chemical" or synthetic bitter character. I can't see this being a beer to drink.

03-13-2010 09:03:23 | More by GRG1313
JoshuaJ

2.53/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear, light copper color. Big head with zero lacing.

Smells weak, to be honest. Picking up some citrusy grapefruit, a touch of honey. Not much else.

Tastes...completely underwhelming. For a name like "HopDevil," I was expecting a massive hop bite. Not so, here. It's a lot more balanced than what I was expecting, but in this case, it's not a good thing. Weak, citrusy hops flavor meet weak, biscuity malts. Did someone fill half my bottle up with water?

Mouthfeel is thin. The beer finishes dry, which is nice, but it just feels an anorexic version of what everyone else has been reviewing.

Overall drinkibility suffers from the high expectations not being met in regards to the nose and taste, and the thin consistency. I suppose I'd have another if it was offered to me, but I won't be buying another.

Notes: The date on the bottle says to enjoy by 10/09, which I've obviously done, but I can't shake the feeling that something must have "off" with this batch. It's not been contaminated per se. Just extremely watery.

06-21-2009 14:04:46 | More by JoshuaJ
GreenWBush

Oregon

2.58/5  rDev -36.9%

I have pined for the opportunity to try this oft, and generally universally-lauded brew. I was afforded that opportunity at the Map Room, Chicago, Illinois.

This beer presents itself to me much darker than I had expected, an autumn-leaf red with a minimal skim. Just a few freckles of lace are observed clinging to the nonic pint as it disappears.

The nose of this beer again defies my anticipation; it is particularly faint, and not what i'd necessarily call 'hoppy'. The aroma is full of thin, bready malts and just the faintest impression of apple-like hop notes.

While this beer does carry a good amount of bitterness, I am surprised to find a very marginal amount of actual hop flavor. The malt is slightly sourdough-like and gets pummeled around by a thin, reedy and metallic bitterness. This one definetely sits on the 'dry' side of things, never really getting over that painful tea-like bitterness.

The mouthfeel of this beer is also particularly underwhelming. No real oiliness or powdery/pillowiness to speak of, just that incessant clanging bitterness and faint toasted malt. I jiggle the belly in hopes of producing a hop-burp, but nothing comes.

Perhaps my years of drinking West-coast minded IPAs has ruined my palate, but this wasn't even particularly pleasant to wade through. Again, i'd like to try this closer to the source so I can see if my plaguing negative impression of Victory beers has something to do with regional bias/freshness/transit, etc.

So far i'm 0/3 with Victory.

06-01-2006 20:19:57 | More by GreenWBush
rosmhuire

2.6/5  rDev -36.4%

I'm new to the craft beer world. Wine is my first passion. but since it's summertime, I've been drinking more beer and have been quite impressed with the quality of crafty beers out there (if only I didn't live on the upper east side of NYC, where you don't get much of a beer selection at the supermarkets and delis).

I was not a big fan of this beer - I enjoy IPA's, but this one seemed all hops and nothing else. I can see that this beer is very well reviewed on this site, but for my palate, it just didn't do the trick

09-02-2009 13:18:55 | More by rosmhuire
Jasel

2.63/5  rDev -35.7%

Not my kind of beer...but I'm not a huge IPA fan. Maybe it was skunked? Still learning.

Consumed with a pilsner glass.

Appearance - A great tannish, to dark brown. A 1 finger head, I don't know about lacing because I just couldn't drink it.

Smell - Decent traditional IPA smell, with some funk our sourness.

Taste - Metallic smell with a hops, hops, hops.

Mouthfeel - Fizzy with a harsh sourness that gave me shivers every time.

Drinkability - Could get past the first few sips let alone a whole beer.

02-25-2009 21:49:24 | More by Jasel
lechroy

2.65/5  rDev -35.2%

12 oz bottle poured into taster glass. A is a warm sunset Orange, opaque with a fair 2 finger head. S is nicely malty sweetness with caramel and Orange essence. T is too much. Heavily unbalanced and very bitter. Too much for my palette and I live IPA. M is decent. O is that this beer was going big and really comes over too strong and bitter. Could be better as a 8 abv beer with more malt shape.

UPDATE: Had this again on tap at Beer Revolution (OAK), and again it was a disappointment. Too much hype, not a tasty enough for me to ever recommend.

08-04-2011 02:29:32 | More by lechroy
jujubeast6000

2.68/5  rDev -34.5%

Reviewed 2/10/2006 (12oz bottle):

Pours a dark brown color. Medium sized head, slightly off-white, diminishing. Strong aroma of hops, some malts. Bitter-sweet taste of hops, unnaturally bitter. Later taste - semi-sweet taste, clean finish. Not all that hoppy.

12-13-2008 05:39:26 | More by jujubeast6000
bamadog

Kentucky

2.68/5  rDev -34.5%

Fries Cafe over in Cincinnati had this on tap the other night, so I thought I would give it a shot. Overall, Victory has only had a couple of beers that I feel are decent, and they tend to fall short for the most part. Review is from notes taken on 7/9/2010 and poured from the tap to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a solid and consistent coppery color; starts with a one finger off-white head that fades to a thin, but full, cap; body has decent clarity and shows light carbonation bubbling throughout.

Smell: Very, very faint. Bit of a musty grainy presence with a dusty hop scent, and that's it. Not impressed.

Taste: Mostly tall, dry and slightly musty graininess; a very faint, near dusty hoppiness (these flavors make me wonder if this just an old keg or something...); bit of a sugary/candy-like sweet maltiness in the end.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation in a light to medium body; a light and semi-dry stickiness lingers around on the palate, but mostly it's a moist finish.

Drinkability: Meh, I could take it or leave it... I would gladly give it another shot though if I was told that the keg was fresh and re-review this if needed.

07-10-2010 20:22:40 | More by bamadog
mikechance

2.7/5  rDev -34%

It has a nice rusty orange color and a little 1/3 - 1/4 inch head. I'm picking up a lot of malt and spice in the nose but nothing hoppy or any of the citrus you would expect from an IPA. A very malt dominated beer with very little of the hop characteristics I expect from an American IPA. Its medium bodied and has a little sour and acid aftertaste. This is much closer to an old ale style or brown ale than anything else. For something called HopDevil Ale I’m very disappointed.

08-01-2011 02:33:20 | More by mikechance
palma

2.73/5  rDev -33.3%

I honestly gave this beer a few chances before I reviewed it. Now I'm convinced. This beer is just not that good overall, and definitely not a good IPA. I have no idea why this beer is rated so high. Amber body with not much of a head. Nice sweet hoppy aroma with some citrus that even my gf liked. Taste is a different story though. Is this a marco pale ale Im drinking? Where the hell is the flavor? It tastes so stale and bland in my opinion. Watered down. Dead hop flavor. I need some hops here. They call this beer HopDevil? I call that false advertising.

02-09-2005 06:45:14 | More by palma
doubledteague

2.75/5  rDev -32.8%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A- Beautiful amber color, but unlike other review I hac very very little head that dissipated very quickly.

S- Very hoppy, piney, and a slight hint of citrus.

T- BOOM!!! Hit hard with the hops, and pines, never got the citrus.

M- Very very dry. Heavy carbonation, or maybe thats just the hops.

O- Im a little unsure. Its good for an IPA, but I think its a little too heavy on the hops for my own personal taste. Just my opinion though.

Tasted and Reviewed 1945-2015 10/31/11

11-01-2011 01:13:33 | More by doubledteague
nickhiller

2.78/5  rDev -32%

A: clear amber, no visible carbonation, a brief and nearly non-existent head and no lacing.

S: sweet floral hops, roasted malt, a little funk. It actually smells a little bit like dog food, not sure what that means...

T: a little malt sweetness up front then a kind of generic hop taste, a little stale even. Super strong, dry, bitter finish. Kind of makes me go "ackkk." I have a taste in the back of my throat the tastes like bile.

M: very low carbonation, medium but almost syrupy body. A finish that is dry as a desert.

D: this made me a little sick. It's got a bitter finish that I just can't shake.

11-01-2010 04:56:39 | More by nickhiller
tigg924

2.78/5  rDev -32%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, dark-amber in color, clear, moderate carbonation

Smell: citrus hops and a bit of caramel

Taste: citrus and pine hops with a touch of caramel--once this one warms though all I can taste are IBUs

Mouthfeel: medium-high carbonation, medium bodied, sweet start with a bitter back and finish--once I ate food this became super bitter

Overall: Before food, this was fine..After food--just a big hoppy IBU monster. A must do for hopheads, but one I could not finish. I appreciate the veracity of the hops, but I wanted something just a bit less bitter.

08-28-2011 03:27:06 | More by tigg924