Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
1.7/5  rDev -58.3%

Used to love this beer while living in PA. Don't understand what happened to this beer. Apperance: great. An aluring dark amber color. Smell is also good. Taste: nasty metallic after taste. What happened to this beer? Definitely down hill from previous offerings. What went wrong?

greenbean3, May 29, 2010
1.75/5  rDev -57.1%

phishbone23, Jan 23, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -57.1%

Beershack, Jul 21, 2014
1.8/5  rDev -55.9%

ok well i will be the first to tell you im not a big ipa fan but i pulled this at mystery beer so i drank it at mystery beer. it started off ok it looked like a good beer it smelled like a ok beer and then all hell broke loose it taste verry verry hoppy not my style at all more hoppy then any other ipa ive had which ads to the mouth feel of a thousand razorblades slicing my tonge i think i would rather drink corona than this cheap gypsy swill again

icefisherman, Dec 12, 2005
1.9/5  rDev -53.4%

I had this beer many moons ago and enjoyed it much. I recently bought it again due to slim selection. This beer is not what it used to be. I am seeing more and more that companies that have had a good history of serving up great beers are falling short more and more. I guess nothing is sacred anymore, even good beer in the current world of greed and corner cutting. Thanks alot Victory. Count me out.

beercat11, Jan 18, 2011

Jason1124, Jun 05, 2012

jfcaa193, Jan 30, 2012
2.03/5  rDev -50.2%

A- light mahogany, lbig 1 inch frothy head

S- def a solid caramel backbone, fruit hopsmell in there, but not as much hop smell as an ipa should

T- wheres the hops? decent bitterness, but no hop flavor, watery, matallic taste, HAS THIS BEER GONE BAD?

m- WATERY

D- not enjoyable at all

ken2cart1, Aug 09, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -49%

I was very hesitant to write this review. American IPA's are my favorite style of brew. This beer is highly recommended so I thought it must be good. After drinking my first I thought I had a bad bottle. It was poor, make that very poor for any style of beer. I did not write a review cause I thought I must have a bad batch. 4 weeks later I buy another sixer. Same crap! This time I did a blind taste test with Broken Halo, Avery IPA, Great Divide IPA, and this mess. I could pick this thing out blindfolded every time, and not for good reasons.
It looks good nice color and head. But that is where good ends and bad to worse starts. It smells like a decent IPA with malts and lots of hops but then a whiff of, (I don't know what) hits me. I really don't know what to call it, plastic? or soap. Whatever the smell is it is even more prevalent in the taste. A very distinctive yuck aftertaste. To its credit the beer is much better as it warms but I will be very gun shy about trying another.

ttu94, Jun 23, 2007
2.15/5  rDev -47.3%

A - Poured a dark amber/copper into a clean pint glass. Appears to be lightly carbonated w/o much head.

S - Smells like a bum farted onto a pine cone... Seriously... The bottle reads "Enjoy by Sept 19 2010"

T - Cheesy hop flavor, combined with a saltwater taffy malt character, and a lingering resinous bitterness.

M - Medium body, flaccid carbonation

D - I've heard good things but please stop shipping your beer to California if it's going to arrive ruined.

hoptrip619, Jul 21, 2010
2.18/5  rDev -46.6%

All in all not a great taste. They threw a ton of spices together and prayed... an overpowering taste of hops. Very heavy flavor. I guess a lot of people are into that though. Not me though, not a smooth beer and certainly not good flavor. I would not recommend this overpriced and overrated beer to anyone.

mikethebeerguy, Sep 22, 2013
2.23/5  rDev -45.3%

wow, i was very disappointed with this one, there is no balance to this brew just over the top hops, this needs some malt flavor very badly. aroma is very strange and not plesant, i wish i would not have bought an entire six pack of this.

I ususally like highly hopped beers but this one is just too one-dimensional, i guess most others disagree but i can't understand why this is so highly rated.

evanackerman, Nov 05, 2005