Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. The beer poured out a very clear, dark
copper color with an off-white 1/4 inch head. The aroma was
dissapointing.I was expecting a strong hop scent. Instead this beer
has a very light, barely noticeable hop aroma. More floral than citrus.
Also a very, very light malt scent.

The taste was pretty much just hops. It was a bitter taste - which I
usually enjoy. But this one was fairly uninteresting. Like one strong
bitter flavor - not a mix of flavors.

The mouthfeel was light-to-medium with a bitter, dry finish. The
drinkability was good. The first glass was enjoyable. The bitterness
would probably limit me to two in one sitting.

2.85/5  rDev -30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

on tap into a pilsner.

clear golden amber color with half an inch of white head that leaves slight lacing.

aroma is all hop bitter aromas; floral and pine.

flavor is all hops as well, floral and pine again but with a touch of hop spiciness as well. absolutely no attempt at balance or subtlety with this one. thin mouthfeel with a very bitter afteraste. obviously can't rate the drinkability too high.

2.85/5  rDev -30%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass

a-nice three finger head that lasted a good while..excellent lacing...nice cap that stayed on the beer...decent carbonation

s-floral hops a little citrus...malt is def there....slight medicinal smell

t-whoa...where are the hops...hiding behind that bitter acrid bite??? malt is huge...and tastes very soapy in end..

m-thin water and tad over carbonated to me..

d-would not drink this again even though ive had it before and dont remember it being this bad..

a big let down.. i really dont remember this beer being that bad in past..oh well...

2.86/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Maybe I've been spoiled by the IPA's in San Diego. It may also be a West Coast / East Coast thing but this just has too much malt for me. When I see something called "HopDevil" I expected a hop-bomb with no concern for balance. Like I said, it may be a WC/EC thing but it makes me tap my heals and chant: "There's No Place Like Home, There's No Place Like Home".

2.88/5  rDev -29.2%

Poured into a mixing glass (american pint glass)

Visual:
amber-red-copper colored and transpearant. off-white head which went away quickly leaving some light lacing

Smell:
faint non-descript citrus and a little bit of pine and juniper

Taste:
toasted grain, slightest bit of whole-grain bread. Sharply bitter hopping but no clear/specific tastes

Body:
medium bodied, bite of hops really tends to lingers in the mouth

Drinkability:
I found this beer to be muddled, nothing tends to stand out; i was fairly unimpressed.

~E. Brad

2.89/5  rDev -29%

Not too fond of this one from victory but an ok opener for the night. The "hop" is very evident in the taste.

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%

I know I might get slammed for this review but i cant help it, I was really unimpressed with this beer. Poured a nice amber color and that is where the postives will stop. Maybe drinking the souble IPAs I have for awhile has ruined me but the taste for this beer was really not up to par with some other IPAs. Was a little too flowery for me. ANd the mouthfeel really left an aftertaste in your mouth. Not one of my favorite IPAs but i will be willing to give it a second chance.

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Enjoy by Oct. 12, 2010. 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a copper color w/ little head and lacing. Has a subtle fruity aroma. The taste is very bitter and unbalanced. Grapefruit notes w/ hints of carmel, pretty piney. Mouthfeel and drinkability is ok.

I suppose this just isn't my kind of IPA. The bitterness was just too much, and don't get me wrong, I like bitter beers. This beer is well brewed and a nice representation of the style, just not for me.

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%

reviewed from notes. served in pint glass.
date on the bottle says- drink before October 18th.

Pours a deep copper color with a foamy tan hand-- a sandy color head. The body seems a little orangey now. The retention is very nice-- it forms a rocky landscape of bubbly mountains. The body looks thin, but the lacing is ok.

The flavor is big malts- slightly bready, big sweetness too. Some caramel malts and then a some hops come in. In the nose, all I get is some malts with a citrusy hop bite. The taste is muuuch sweeter than expected. The finish is kind of dry. A piney/resiny aftertaste... Some grapefruit comes through, especially in regards to the bitterness. A yeast note reminds me of the yeast used in English mild ales.

The body is oily but thin. Not thick at all, but lacking carbonation.

Not a beer I will get again. Nothing truly offends me about, but nothing really gets me excited either.

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%

A: Pours a deep amber orange color. A small white head forms and leaves spotty lace.
S: Floral, piny, and grapefruit hops. Lots of bitter hops and not much malt detected.
T: Bitter hops of grapefruit and citrus. Almost no malt balance whatsoever.
M/D: A medium body with a crisp snap of carbonation. The bitterness makes this hard from me to drink and session.

I am not a big fan of IPA's, though there are some I enjoy. This is not one of them. Not the worst beer or IPA I have had, but I was not very impressed. Lots of bitterness and no depth IMO.

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%

This beer pours a crisp clean looking amber with a yellow orangish head that fades but does remain on top of the beer. Aroma is very weak. Some citrus notes, bitter smelling, no floral or fruit in the nose at all, disappointing. It is a shocking beer to the palate, all hops. Very blunt up front, citrusy, it seems as if the hop bitterness is overwhelming the hop flavor. Spicy hot from the hops, and they manage to cover the malt almost completely. Not well balanced. Could have used some more base malt in my estimation, because kicking it up to eight percent may have balanced this beer more. Worth the try, but I would not purchase this beer again.

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%

The first beer I’ve reviewed that I drank the night before. Contemporary notes, belated verdict.

STYLE: American IPA

ABV: 6.7%

LOOK: Caramel candy, almonds, khaki head.

NOSE: Pineapple, grapefruit, apple juice. Smells like Smoothie King. What’s expected but missing is that woody, piney nose. Bit of a letdown.

MOUTH: Unsweetened grapefruit and lemon dash. Missing the little details. Too hop forward, the bitterness squirts into the mouth and leaves an abrupt, rusty finish.

Beeradvocate Rating: 91

Hayward Abbey Rating: 78

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%

Head was medium lasting and steady.
Color was light redish brown slightly cloudly.
Smell was a sour grainy grapefruit.
Inital taste had a a byte at first but soon faded away had a grainy tatse similar to the smell with a long lasting after taste.
The body was medium to lite with average carbination.

Bought a 6 pack at the cork and cap in fot wayne IN i thought it was kind of expensive. wouldnt try it again.

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Bottle has a date stamp 'Enjoy by may 14th, 07. Date of this tasting: Feb. 07, 2007.

Appearance - clear. Rich Orangish/red color. Very minimal head but stays throughout.

Smell - some hop but less than I expected for a 'hop devil'. In fact, I'm having a hard time getting much out of the aroma. Some cereal characteristics in the malt

Taste - bittering hops definitely come through. Decent malt flavor but takes a back seat to the bitter. Malt does begin to come forward as beer warms. The main characteristic of this beer seems to be the bittering hops.

Mouthfeel - A little thin for a 6.7 ABV

Drinkability - good if you are looking for a focus on bittering hops and for the same reason not a good session beer.

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

gorgeous crystalline toffee color with 1/2 in. head, receding fast. aromatically challenged, wound up tight. fresh baked bread with concord grape jam, burnt popcorn, perfume counter at the mall on the nose. medium mouthfeel with disappearing to zero midpalate that transitions into short sappy bark plummy abrupt finish. big pazzz on this...

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

she's got some kick, but it is a little spicy for me. as far as ipa's go, this one is definitlely one of the best. You will get a load of hops with this brew. It is a pretty intense beer because the hops and carbonation team up to give you a kick in the pants.

The aromas are also wonderful as you are engulfed in an array of spices that makes you want to leap into the glass. I will definitely have to get this one again now that i have some more IPAs to compare it to.

After I have developed a love for IPAs, this one has to be sampled again.

2.98/5  rDev -26.8%

Picked up a single for $1.99. Best By Nov. 29 09

So much for the 'pale' part of India Pale Ale. More of a burnt orange, copper color appearance. A nice foam of head that leaves some light scattered lacing.

Smells like burnt toast, old pine trees, talcum powder. Nothing really floral or grapefruit-y here.

Taste is just intense pine tree sap, spicy herbal-ness, warm grapefruit juice. No real sweetness here, just that intense dry after taste from the hops that is really unappealing.

I think the beer is too unbalanced for my tastes. Glad I only bought a single.

Nice color. Paints the glass in delicious looking amber, red and orange hues. About a finger on the head and it seems to be sticking around. Solid lacing. Some slow moving carbonation is visible too. About as appetizing looking a beer as I can remember. Seems a little darker than some other IPAs I've tried.

The sniffer likes this one. A good balance of pine, lemon and other citrus scents. A distinctly hoppy scent. Just a hint of spice too. Smells delicious.

Taste somehow seems really weak to me. I'm not getting much beyond a faint caramel flavor at the finish. Just a hint of pine spice in there too. Am I missing something? This doesn't seem right. It's not that it tastes bad, it just doesn't taste like much of anything. Quite a disappointment.

Extremely smooth and mellow mouthfeel. I was really surprised by that. A good balance of bitter and sweet. Not much finish though.

I can't help but feel I've missed something in the taste department. I have another bottle that I'll use as a comparison later and edit this if necessary, but there's just nothing there. Really disappointing. I really like the mouthfeel. It's surprising for an IPA, but is that enough to keep drinking these? I doubt it.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company