Follow our progress ...

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Reviews: 2,489 | Ratings: 7,150
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I've had this beer on tap in different bars across Pennsylvania and it never disappoints.
It pours a medium orange/copper/rust color with a slight frothy head. The scent is pure IPA: citrus & hops.

What sets this beer apart from the other IPA's is the taste...You get that hops kick in the front, not overpowering (which is good) and then finishes with a very slight malty sweetness.

Some IPA's are either overpowering with the hops (which is fine, depending on what you are thirsting for at the moment) or finishes with a sweetness which overpowers the hops. This one, in my opinion, has the right mix in the right order.

This beer will have you wanting more but be careful, at 6.70% abv, it sneaks up on you!

It's one of the best IPA's out there and one of my favorites. I'm lucking to have this brewed in my home state.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours clear copper with red highlights-- devlish! Generous off-white head, good lacings. The nose is of fresh, slightly piney hop goodness, with a touch of cereal. Bitterness takes up residence on the palate early and doesn't relinquish its hold. Hop flavors turn sweet and juicy, combining with resinous elements that affirm this ale's status as a hop monster.

If this is the Devil, consider me Damned, and Damned proud of it!

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

Just returned from the US from a 2-year job assignment in Australia. I've been waiting 2 years to get my hands (and tounge) on some nice American Hop Bombs.

Victory Hop Devil was my choice.

It pours a wonderful, clear honey colour with a foamy tan head that sticks around for quite a while, and sticks to the side of the glass. If the head was a bit thicker, I'd give it a 5. But it's hard to fault the looks.

Smell is fantastic, citrusy, spicy, with some toasty malt in the background

Taste is exactly what I want out of a big, American Hop Bomb. It's a 5, and I don't give those out willy-nilly. First impression is actually a sweet malt, until the beer hits the back of your tongue when the bittering hops get you. Nice. Then you breathe in and get the affect of the aroma hops. What a nice combination. Alcohol is hidden well behind the malt.

Mouthfeel is on the heavy side, but it fits. It's creamy, and I would say it has the same mouthfeel as a nice English Ale. Drinkabiliity is outstanding for one, but one's really all you need.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I do not consider myself a hop man at all, but this brew was a very pleasant experience. The beer is orange, almost amber in color with a very hoppy nose. While very hoppy and bitter, the beer still had some nice malt sweetness to it which was a pleasant surprise. Fairly complex IMO and I enjoyed every sip. A great beer indeed.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Deep amber color, slightly hazy, with thick rocky off-white head, 2 fingers. Oily and exuberant flowery hops in the nose, along with some malt struggling against the big hops. Tastes immediatly bitter, with aggressive and oily, juicy hops, mostly flowery. Some sweetness as you drink on into it. Dry finish. Full body, smooth and slick mouthfeel, with a bite from the hops in the middle. Drinkable? Oh, yes. Gulpable.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured into a Victory Tulip glass.

A: Gorgeous dark red/light brown/toasty orange (all three of those colors had sex and created Hop Devil's wonderful shades).

S: Piney and floral with maybe some citrus biting through in the aroma. I think the several PBR's before this are numbing my senses a little.

T: The perfect blend of malt backbone with hop bitterness. Mildly floral and citrusy. Certainly not too much that an average macro drinker couldn't be swayed into appreciating heaven here on earth.

M: It is a somewhat creamy with a rather mild carbonation. I think it suits this beer well.

O: This is my go-to beer. I drink more of this than anything else. In my opinion, its the best readily available beer at a decent price where I live (central PA) and I think everything about it rocks. Great taste, great aromas (when Pabst aren't killing your senses), and a great value. Hell, even the devil with a hop for a head looks righteously awesome.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

12 oz bottle poured into Shipyard pint glass.

A: Pours a thin copper with a tan head that dissipates soon after it forms and forms the typical IPA "oil slick." Tiny bubbles of carbonation float to the top consistently for almost ten minutes; very cool. Completely opaque when held up to the light.

S: Smells super spicy (heat-wise, not cinnamon/clove spicy), with yeast and alcohol notes in the background. There is also a hint of grapefruit/bitter citrus that comes through at the end.

T: So beautiful and well-balanced. Drinks somewhat hot but it works so well, which is fairly rare for a beer of this ABV. More spice, hop resin and a slight malty sweetness. Finish is nice and dry and makes me want another sip immediately.

M: Very carbonated, which I believe is why the spiciness works. The carbonation turns this fairly thin brew into pure creaminess once it hits the tongue. Coats the mouth and leaves a resiny hop texture behind.

D: I can't say enough about this beer; it reminds me of synchronized swimming. Everything melds together perfectly, creating one of the more drinkable IPAs I've ever tasted.

This holds a place on my short list of go-to beers, and that's saying a lot.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light amber with a finger of whiteish head, very slight haze.

Smell is pine, citrus, caramel malt, grapefruit

Taste is great, really good balance to this one. Citrus, pine, grapefruit all come through huge but then it is cut back by a caramel cracker malt back bone. WOW is all I can say. I always have Hop Wallop in the fridge. Do not know why I do not pick this one up more often. That is going to change that is for sure!

Mouthfeel is standard medium with average carbonation as with most ipas. Finishes nice and dry with a biscuity piney bitterness.

Will for sure be grabbing this a lot more in the future! Really nice stuff, really good balance. I like this kind of IPA!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Best before October something, tastes fresh to me out the fridge at the store. Color is a nice toasty copper color with a cream head. The smell is of resinous piney hops, and citrus (grapefruit/lemon) zest. Taste is a deep herbal citric twang with a resinous and gloriously bitter aftertaste, with some toasty malts. Wow, what a nice balance. Not too little, and not too much of anything. The mouthfeel is very smooth, almost creamy, and compliments the wonderful hop nose and long puckering aftertaste. I think when fresh this is certainly one of the best American IPA's that money can buy. Another high quality beer from Victory brewing co. Hmm, what could be better, maybe Hopdevil on cask?!? Time to take a trip to PA.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

A - a dark crimson-brownish color that wells up a half finger of light tan head, very faint carbonation visible when held up to light

S - sldfijhaerg[poihqe, sorry that was my jaw hitting the keyboard, i was in torpor after catching a whiff of the hops in this ale, man is it enticing, but not solely hops, kind of a dark sweetness to the aroma as well

T - holy shit, this is THE smoothest IPA I have EVER had, the hoppiness is still there, but is mellowed out by a subtle yet poignant sweetness and tea flavor, these flaver intertwine in the end to create an amazing finish that is ultra-balanced, this is great

M - as i said, ubersmooth, what more can i say, this is amazing, go try it, NOW

D - what are you waiting for?, go try it if you havent!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured a fresh 12oz bottle into a globe glass.

Appearance: a hazy golden color with a fingers worth of white head that leaves rings of lacing.

Smells: pine and citrus hops are huge and a grassy hint.

Tastes: there is a big citrus hop character at first and finishes with a tangy pine note. This is a wonderfully balanced IPA and quite flavorful.

Mouthfeel: the 6.7% is so well hidden through all the delicious hop flavor. the carbonation is great and a super refreshing brew.

Overall: I love this IPA quite a bit. I plan to always keep it in the fridge and at $8 a six pack a everyday drink for me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a warm amber color with good clarity, which in contrast to it's sibling Hop Wallop, is a light golden beer. Head is a nice off white which laces around my pint glass.

Smell: You can tell this is an American IPA with a whiff. Strong hop aroma, with a hint of grapefruit. Do they sell this in a candle?

Taste: This is a rock solid American IPA, it has a good balanced of hops to malt. The hops win but the malts do show up. A pleasing piney aftertaste finishes it off. Very drinkable, I can go through a few of these and still crave more of the deveil's alphas. Victory brews a damn fine IPA.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

My review is based on a bottle quaffed in the intimate recessess of Birreria Paridiso in Georgetown (DC) and succeeded several fine beers.

Let's talk about the head; it was thick and foamy and sank like a deflating pillow atop a translucent copper-colored liquid of pure clarity housing a steady stream of carbonation bubbles. Lacing was minimal.

And the nose? Well, I detected a heavy floral blast concealing some hint of banana - which appears to increase if allowed to sit and if stirred several times. I love science.

Taste? Let the bottle speak for itsef: "bold and spicy." Labels never lie. In addition, there is a heavy layer of hops lathered onto the tongue, with the spicy bits fading into a semi-sweet aftertaste.

This very full-bodied; yet, not one with particular heaviness nor one that neccessarily overwhelms the palate. Obviously, this depends on one's individual hop tolerance level.

In any case,Victory does it again! Hop Devil is a superb ale with a well-balanced body and accompanied by a nicely palatable sweetness with a welcoming biscuity finish. Ahhhh....

To summarize, let us borrow from the Book of Stewie Griffith and simply say, "Victory is mine...! Now where is that insidious harridan Lois?

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

I first tried this beer at the Pennsylvania microbrewery festival, and I was very impressed. I'm a fan of IPA's and this is by far the best I've had. It seems to let some maltiness through, but with a great hop aroma and finish. Trying in bottles soon(got a six in the fridge).

5-18-03

Updated my review to reflect my comparative experiences since my first review, which was my very first review as a BA (originally a 4.95!). It does have a great malty presence on draft, with a very smooth hop profile as well. This is much better on tap, as the bottles develop a bit of a harshness and do not compare to Two Hearted or Stone IPA bottles. Still a very fine beer though that is a regular in my house.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A 12oz bottle with no visible BB date. I acquired some bottles of this a while back - the off-licence that sold them stocks some cheap beer past it's use-by date. This leads me to suspect that the bottles I have are quite old, but they've been stored well and hopefully will have mellowed nicely. I love the hop devil on the label.

Poured into a Delerium Tremens chalice. A rich coppery-amber hue with some floating sediment (I tried to keep it all in the bottle but failed). Good carbonation. Produces an off-white head of thick, creamy foam that lasts for quite a while before reducing to a surface layer. The aroma is intense; a powerful cocktail of malt and aromatic hops. Notes of pine underpinned by sweet, grainy malt and a notable whiff of alcohol.

Tastes of intensely bitter hops with a rich malty backbone. Notes of aromatic pine/resin, sweet malt, brown sugar and hints of roasted grain. Alcohol adds a warming sensation. Mouthfeel is tingly and full-bodied but very astringent; the texture is almost syrupy. Strong bitter aftertaste of pine and malt.

An intense hit of hops - hardly anything brewed in the UK can provide such a sensation. Impressive, with stacks of character. Due to the age of the bottle I wonder if some of the hoppy notes have faded away (esp. citrus), but the bitterness is still overwhelming. Fantastic, and well worth sampling.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Beautiful copper-amber with a tinge of ruby. Crystal clear and with medium carbonation. I didn't pour with quite as much gusto as usual since I was using a different glass from normal, but I got a finger of dense, creamy off-white head. Great head retention, I poured this baby up, let it sit for about ten minutes and it still had a thick film of foam across the top. Wonderful lacing, it just won't stop clinging to the sides of the glass.

S: Very good caramel creates the backbone of the scent profile. Sweet and malty like a good IPA should smell. Really 50/50 on the malt/hops ratio. I also detect spicy notes and some slight (emphasis on slight) estery scents, like banana. Some grainy notes come through but remind of fresh whole grain bread. Hops aren't huge on the nose, but don't really need to be. I get some resinous, deep notes, and as a whole it definitely edges on piney and general "dank" earthy tones, but there is a tinge of lemongrass.

T: Counterintuitive to what I expected on the smell, the hops are forward here. Malt does a great job of supporting and balancing the bitter and deep green hops. At first, the resinous, earthy flavors are very pronounced, but don't overstay their welcome. Medium bitterness overall. Malt is subtle, but I do get definite caramel and a little bit of a brown sugar flavor. Again, reminds me of fresh baked artisan bread. As the beer warms, the spicy, fruity flavors come out to play. Pepper tingles on the tongue toward the end of the taste experience.

F: It tastes like a DIPA but doesn't feel like one. Medium bodied overall, not something that I could pound down but it's crisp like any good IPA should be. Doesn't finish remarkably clean, but it has some astringency from the slightly higher alcohol content which helps give it a slightly dry bite after the swallow.

Overall: Easily one of the best beers I've had the pleasure of reviewing. Balanced, complex without going crazy, and overall a joy to savor. I don't have much else to say about this, I've already written an article.

To good health and good beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

keg-conditioned to be more correct - non-firkin

pours a deep amber color with an off white head

aroma is simple the best - floral, piney big and fresh as all get out

flavor is big and complex - hops? sure, but also a lot of malt to hold it all together

great mouthfeel and flavor profile in all areas - bitterness, malt, sticky and full

one of the best big IPA's - showed those that followed how to do it...

A+

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%

Hand pumped into a pint glass.

A: Average head as expected. Light brown and frothy. Very bubbly. The medium brown body is a bit tawny and has tints of orange. Incredibly murky from the cask conditioning.

S & T: Beautiful aromatics and flavor. It's freshness is noticeable from the onset. The sweet grainy malts are present but know their place and keep a minimal profile making way for the heavy handed hops. Very floral and very piney, like fresh cut lumber, also grassy and mild grapefruit. Sour applesauce flavor. Light yeast notes of leaves, earth and fragrant hand soap. This brew really shines on cask.

M: The mouthfeel is exceptional and very restrained. Medium body is so smooth and creamy. The carbonation pleasantly soft; the finish bitter.

D: Nothing better than a well-done cask conditioned brew. There was only one thing that could tear me away from this treat. You guess what it was...

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a warm amber with a tan head. Smells very hoppy with pines shining through. In the mouth it tastes great. Hoppy, but not overly hoppy. Hop falvors range from pine to citrus to full-on bitterness. A nice amound of malts start shining through towars the finish, but it ends quite hoppy. A very well rounded "IPA" with a great aftertaste. This is one of my favorite beers, I don't know how I managed to skip reviewing this one. This is a common find in my fridge. A classic beer, and one that I will cherish forever. Cheers, my friends.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of my all-time favoite beers. I will be forever indebted to Victory for providing me with this one. It is certainly very hoppy, but the balance of the different hops in it are what makes it so special. It is citrusy but not completely over the top. There is enough of a malt backbone to make it extremely drinkable.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally, an IPA. Sure can't find any here in Russia, so jumped at the chance when friends offered to bring some from the U.S. HopDevil and I are old friends who haven't had the pleasure of each other's company for quite a while. This bottle advised me to enjoy its contents by 11/20/03. No danger of waiting that long. It was empty before 8/17/03.

Poured a gorgeous clear dark copper hue with a medium sized tan head that lingered a bit and held some contour. It also produced some lace, but not enough for my taste. The nose was perfect: beautifully flowery, with hops hitting every corner of each nostril. This nose perfectly telegraphed the coming taste. The mouth was light and prickly, with the flowery sweetness one expects from this much hops. The taste starts sweetish, flowery and hoppy. Then the hops really kick in - almost chewy with grain, leaving a very nice, strong but not agressive bitterness. The aftertaste maintained this flowery bitterness at the back of the jaw and the top of the throat. Smooth, refreshing and wonderful.

I shared the bottle with my brother-in-law from Kazakhstan. He'd never had an IPA before, nor anything else that could even remotely be described as hoppy. His comment: "this is what beer should taste like." Amen.

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%

On tap at Stuff yer Face in NJ. Hands down one of the finest IPAs you can get your hands on. Perfect.
it)

A: Shady amber with clarity. Lacing and head were on point. Impressive from the start.

S: Malt and hops, hops and malt. Best explanation of the aroma would be thick that would lead to a depth in the flavor.

T: Again, hops and malts- ideally what an IPA should be. Sticks around for a while on the palate and never annoying. The overall flavor is perfectly balanced.

M: Carbonation and thickness just right. The texture was thick enough but really hid the ABV, ridiculously smooth.

D: Drinkability through the roof. One of, if not the most, drinkable IPAs Ive ever tasted. Cant wait to have many more. On tap really was a treat.

Ive become infatuated with IPAs lately and this one is among the best.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My introduction to the beauty of the hop over 10 years ago. Pours a sweet reddish brown with a nice head and good lacing. The aroma is a piney hop and a clean beer. Taste is more bitter and less sweet. Great beer and for sure a benchmark for Victory.

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%

I bought a 6-pack for $8.99 -- pretty good for an American IPA.

A: Nice amber color with a great pearl head. The retention was really good -- it just looked like a beer that I wanted to drink. Fairly medium-bodied (not thick and syrupy like Dogfish Ales).

S: Abundance of citrus-hop aromas. Actually reminded me of the hops found in a lot of New Zealand ales. Orange zest and pine, with a touch of brown sugar.

T: You'd expect a really bitter beer, but the guys at Victory have done it again -- a rather creamy, but spiced beer. Layers of toasted malt really compliment the zesty hops in the brew. I wouldn't say it is "well-balanced" -- you have to love hops to love this one. The taste of the hops almost hints at blood orange and basil when it reaches room temperature. So complex and satisfying -- definitely a keeper.

This is a fantastic beer. Thankfully, at least ONE micro-brew in the country understands that you can have a nice IPA without jacking up the alcohol and sugar to bring it into balance. I enjoyed this with some excellent Thai cuisine, and I would gladly drink it on its own anytime! Great job -- highly recommended!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Awww... A cute little hopdevil on the bottle. It's nice, and adds some fun to the seriousness of the beer. It pours a cloudy golden orange colour with a head that doesn't last at all. The smell- oh, the smell- it's like sticking your nose into a packet of hops when you homebrew. And that reminds me of the beauty of hops. I suppose I'll have to be a hopdevil worshipper for this one based solely on the smell. The taste is excellent, smooth and malty, and continuing to the bitterness of the hops while leaving a balanced, yet hoppily bitter, aftertaste in the mouth. It almost has citrusy overtones during the intense hop rush. I hadn't realized this was 6.7 ABV otherwise I'd have bought another for tonight. There's always tomorrow. With the grand rush of hops, I hoppily look forward to more intense IPA's.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown