Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,458 | Hads: 7,007
4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

I have had a lot of IPAs ... This one never fails to deliver everthing an IPA should.
I'll skip all the over analysis and get right to it: one of my all time favorite IPAs. I like Serierras "Torpedo" but it can be a bit too much at times. The Hop Devil on the other hand... Awesome, always.

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Can't believe it took me so long to review this beer... served in a pint glass from a bottle.

A - Dark amber in color. Def. can't see through this beer.

S - Pine, grapefruit-like-citrus, & very noticeable hops.

T - Citrus throughout with enough hops to make any hop head satisfied. Noticeable spice, but nowhere near many IPA's; It's not called SpiceDevil, so I'm not surprised.

D - Would be a favorite to session. Though the name puts an emphasis on hops, I could never get sick of this beer.

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

A: gorgeous bronze color with a decent amount of thick white head
S: my nose isn't doing well at the moment but I'm getting a lot of malt smell from it. Very sweet and misleading. The smell burns a little toward the end so you can tell there's some hoppiness going on.
T: Very good flavor starts off with some caramel sweetness to kick things off which quickly fades to the hoppy side of things with a good transition to some earthy spicy notes. It finishes at the swallow with an oily hop finish that coats the mouth and leaves you wanting more.
M: Good carbonation that may be a little on the heavy side which leads to the mouthfeel being a touch on the thin side but not bad.
D: I really like beers like this so I could see myself drinking a few of them. It certainly won't be hard to finish it off.

Overall: a very good beer for you to get a hop fix. the only bad thing is the oily hop flavor seems to coat a little too well to after a couple sips you can't appreciate all the flavors. Instead of the up front sweetness it just tastes sort of watery until a new wave of hop flavors come roaring in. Still a good beer considering that though.

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured into a Fuller's Glass.

Thin Lace, head sticks around for a few years.

Lovely color - orangeish amber.

smells like piney mountain orange trees.

Tastes like the name - hops, hops and citrusy goodness, with just enough malt backbone to help it along.

Aftertaste/mouthfeel are excellent - they stick around for a while and leaves a tingly tangly feeling on the tongue that is basically heaven.

One of my favorite IPA's, right along with DFH 90 and Green Flash!

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

Amber in color. 1/4 inch head. Leaves some lacing on the glass.

Slight floral smell with maybe some caramel?

Starts with a big hop bite. The malty back bone somewhat balances the hops, but the hop bite comes back at the finish.

Not overly carbonated. Just enough to feel a tingle on your tongue.

This is a very drinkable beer. The ABV isn't too high and the hops are kept in check enough that they don't become too much after a few beers.

HopDevil is one of my favorite beers, which is why it's my first review. Victory brews a damn fine American IPA.

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

I finally got my hands on an IPA that everyone has been raving about. Beverage poured with a wonderfully thick head. Strong clean amber color. Hints of grapefruit tickled my nose. Not much lace sticks around to show off the fact that you had a wonderful beverage. A nice bitter taste to it that is not too over-the-top like some IPA's can be.

Is it good? YES!! Is it one of the best IPA ever?? Not quite, but it sure is in my top 5 list.

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Well I finally got to try this. The supply of Victory's recently dried up in Columbus. But my favorite beer supplier came through. This beer poured a lovely reddish copper color and formed a nice off white head that left some nice lace. The aroma was of malt and citrus-grapefruit. The flavor was of malt, caramel and hops. The finish is sweet and astrigent. Also the alcohol makes it's presence known in the finish. A great beer. Now the big decision, which do I get at the store, Victory's or Stones? Definately different characters which makes the decision even harder. Definiately worth the wait and harassing I gave my stores.

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a dark amber, almost copper color. 2-finger off-white head which diminishes but is always there.

Armoa of hops. Tastes faintly malty but is quickly smothered by the strong taste of spicy and cirtusy hops. Finishes strongly, but not overwhelmingly, bitter.

If you are a hophead this is a great beer; especially great on warm summer days like today.

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

A: Pours dark amber, moderate off-white foam that lingers and sticks to glass for awhile
S: Very potent smell, funky, kind of earthy
T: Bitter hops right off the bat with a nice malty background, very balanced and flavorful
M: Somewhat heavy, very sticky, resiny
O: Straight up awesome IPA, very tasty, drinkable, definitely a top option that should be considered when available

4.64/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Victory Hop Devil IPA has a thick, spongy, khaki head, a semi-clear, orange appearance, a few streaming bubbles, and a good amount of sporadic lacing left behind. The aroma is of hop oil, flowers, some pine, and sweet, white bread. Taste is of all those, plus citrus rind, sugar, citrus juice of some sort, hearty (but, not harsh) bitterness, and no alcohol. Mouthfeel is medium, soft, and oily, and Victory Hop Devil IPA finishes mostly dry, refreshing, sweet, and quite drinkable. This is a super IPA, and I say it's one not to miss.

A -
body is a orange but not really copper color head is a creamy white that stays very well

S -
right up front you get hit with a grapefruit smell along with slight hints of malt and biscuit and finishes with a smooth hop smell

T -
grapefuit right up front and some other citrus herbal taste then finishes with a strong but smooth hop taste

M -
some bite on the tounge from the bitterness from grapefruit and hops but nothing annoying very smooth

D -
this is my favorite American IPA its bitter but its a really smooth bitter and very tasty

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Taken in july 2010 in a tonic glass victoria. Look: Amber opaque dead color, fat yellow head, excellent lacing. Smell: Blend of earth hops and cookie malts. Taste: Earth, pine, wood, floral and probably spicy hops with scents to ashes and snuff. Mouthfeel: Clean, extra body and very bitter, the bitterness is like a bomb on the palate, creamy body with high carbonation, a victory for the drinker.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured into a unibroue snifter. Translucent amber in color with a fine, lacy head that lingers only to fade into a glass lacing fine layer. Smell is along the lines of dogfish head 60 minute. Citrusy and earthy hops almost smells like the air in an open field after a long steady rain.

First sip and initial impression is right in the ballpark of DFH 60 min. However similar the hop profile seems to dogfish head, there is a difference that pushes it over the top. At first it was hard to place, but about halfway through i figured it out. The HopDevil doesn't hold back, from the initial taste to the lingering finish, it's hops dominated, all the way.

While this is not a beer for those new to hoppy beers, it is one that any IPA lover should give a shot, especially if they enjoy the dogfish head and sierra nevada torpedo hop profiles.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Another one of those beers that has come so close to having the perfect amount of hops! This beer is by far on the top 10 list that my roommates and myself created. Great flavor with out any of the baggage, I've had hoppy beers that taste kind of on the sweeter side - not this one. Great job Victory!

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured a orange-brown color with red tints, and a cream-colored head that bubbled down fairly slowly. The smell was strong and quite pleasant: earthy, hoppy punch, with plenty of pine flavor, but a dash of sweetness. It was complex and complimentary, and the taste proved to be so as well. The taste had massive amounts of hop power, as you can imagine. It was fresh, and perfectly combined the floral, sweeter hops with grassy, bitter ones. Also, the are sharp citrus flavors as well, like grapefruit and orange. There was a sweet, caramel-like malt base that was simply perfect: not too sweet, not too bready, just right. The drinkability is fantastic: it's so hoppy it's spicey, so I couldn't drink it too quickly, but it still goes down smooth and easy, with the the other flavors coming in. All in all, a great beer that is powerful without being too over-the-top, as I find many American IPAs.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

The american IPA has finally reached the pinnacle of its evolution, and its name is Hopdevil. This was my second encounter with the Hopdevil, having visited the brewery in 2001. It was even better than I remembered. A blast of citrusy american hops assaults one upon opening the bottle - definitely some Cascade, and I wouldn't be surprised if some Centennial was lurking in there as well. It pours a dark golden brown with a rich white head. The flavor is the perfect union of sharp hops and crisp maltiness. Naturally, it is out of balance and strongly weighted towards the hops, but the hops do not suppress the other complex flavors in the beer. Any idiot can fill a brew kettle to the top with hops and call it an IPA, but the skill of the brewer is revealed by brewing a beer that satisfies the hopheads and still has loads of malt character. In my opinion, this is one of the top five craft brews that I have tasted.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this poured into a pint glass. Awesome beer to have in the Spring or Fall months, but really any time of year. Super crisp, outstanding flavor of hops and citrus (especially big on the hops as the name would lead you to believe). Really nice copper color with a whitish foam head. Just enough boozy flavor to let you know it's there without getting into the range of an imperial or anyhting like that. One of the best offerings I've had from Victory, very nice beer.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

On cask at D's Six Packs and Dogz. Clear orange amber with fluffy head and sticky lacing.

Floral hops and more hops. Very sweet and soothing. Some tea-like notes (earl grey, so probably bergamot) as well.

Very balanced pale ale. Malt, which was not present in the smell at all was surprisingly stong and supported the hops nicely. Pretty much all I'm looking for in an IPA most of the time.

Slightly watery mouthfeel but very easy to drink. If I hadn't had to drive to Morgantown, I may have had half a dozen of these.

I have a six of the bottles and the cask is - quite simply - a completely different beer. Very balanced and mellow, while the bottle is a pure hop bomb (and one I like a lot). Definately worth picking up while it's available.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

rich, opulent copper in color with a wonderful two finger head. good lacing as i finish it off. i can easily smell the wonderous hops in this great effort by victory. the complexity of flavors in this beer is, for me, what makes it one of my favorite beers. starts bitter ends with a touch of sweetness that ends it off, marvelous! damn near perfect in it's balance of moderate alcohol content and how it feels, no hint of a burn. i will easily finish the six pack i just bought so for me, it's a good session beer. Beware of the hops.

Dark copper appearance.

Not a strong smell but still nice.

You can really taste and enjoy the hops. They created a flavorful brew with some floral hops. It is very drinkable.

It has a great flavor for the style. Very easy to drink.

Had it in a glass...

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

This bar none an exceptional beer. The goofy label lends nothing to the incredible taste! Pours a beautiful amber with a wonderful pillowy, creamy thick head that stays to visit for quite a while. Hops are very, very prounounced (obviously). Smell is floral, citrusy, but mostly spicy. I taste hints of caramel but I can't put my finger on it. Mouthfeel is robust and once again, obviously hoppy. I could really sit down and cozy up with a few of these warmers; you can't go wrong here.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Picked this up while I was in Ga since we don;t have it in FL.

appearance: golden amber hues, almost red

smell: loaded and more loaded hops, very plesant for a hop head

taste: like hops of course, this beer is loaded with it. I think this is my fasvorite IPA so far.

mouthfeel: thin not thick. good carbonation and very tasty

drinkability: very easy and smooth. and goes great with spicy snacks or meals.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a nice amber from the bottle. A very hoppy nose attacked my nostrils. The first few drinks were almost rough until my mouth adjusted to the hoppyness of the beer. A fine citrus with an evergreen undertone. Very drinkable with slight grapefruit after taste.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer makes me very hoppy. The first one I grab at the bottle bar {Fishtown Pa.} after a marathon. One of my faves. I put this ahead of Dirtwolf, nice color and fragrance and flavor. My favorite rating on BA so far.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

This was the beer that turned me on to American craft beer. When I had it on tap at Tyler's Taproom in Durham, NC the other night I realized it was finally time to review it.

Served in a pint glass through which I could see the clarity and copper color of this beer.

The aroma is all hops - citrus & maybe a little piney - but it's not overwhelming. In my opinion, it's enticing.

From the first sip to the last, it's all citrus & pine hops with just a hint of malty sweetness. This is the beer that introduced me to hops and when I first had it years ago, I thought there was no way anyone could get more hops in a beer. Now I realize how there's actually some balance in there. Each sip left a slight hop bitterness that lasted until the next one.

I still like this beer as much as I did the first time I had it - maybe more. Victory, in typical fashion, did a great job with this one.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company