2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,296 | Reviews: 2,353 | Show All Ratings:
hyland24

2.8/5  rDev -31.5%

Poured from a bottle into a tall pilsner. The beer poured a clear amber red with a nice looking 2 inch off white fluffy foam head leaving rings of lacing behind after each sip. The smell was impressive with strong piney hops jumping out of the glass followed by a faint hop smell. Full flavored with bitter hop spice bite followed by a not so pleasant tinny metallic taste. The beer finishes even more bitter than it begins. The beer was well carbonated leaving behind a slick piney feel. Sorry to say a was a bit disappointed by this one. Looked forward to it after all the good reviews but was not blown away. Unfortunately I think Troegs has set the bar a little too high with Nugget and even Hopback Amber. All the other hop selections have fallen short. Worth trying but not what its hyped up to be.

04-23-2008 18:33:52 | More by hyland24
marvin213

2.8/5  rDev -31.5%

Had I reviewed this before joining BA, it would most assuredly end up 4+. Having had it last night, however, I'm relatively disappointed. In fairness, I may be teetering on "snob" instead of "advocate" because few things really wow me anymore.

The beer looks good, as it's a hazy bronze. Head coulda lasted a little longer (almost always, I know). Smell ain't even close to what I consider hoppy anymore. I bought a sixer yesterday at Lowes OIB, and as soon as I smelled my first one, I thought "of fuck, another malt bomb!" :-(

Unfortunately, my taste buds confirm my suspicions. I really used to enjoy this beer--long before I got into locals--so this experience is a real-life experience in disappointing realism and the apathy of nature. Only because I used to enjoy this beer do I not rate it lower.

It's malty--feels like it, tastes like it, etc. It's just a disappointment--where are the yummy, citrusy hops to which I've become accustomed? This malt bomb is no hop devil! To hell with this devil!!

08-12-2011 19:10:10 | More by marvin213
westweasel

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. The beer poured out a very clear, dark
copper color with an off-white 1/4 inch head. The aroma was
dissapointing.I was expecting a strong hop scent. Instead this beer
has a very light, barely noticeable hop aroma. More floral than citrus.
Also a very, very light malt scent.

The taste was pretty much just hops. It was a bitter taste - which I
usually enjoy. But this one was fairly uninteresting. Like one strong
bitter flavor - not a mix of flavors.

The mouthfeel was light-to-medium with a bitter, dry finish. The
drinkability was good. The first glass was enjoyable. The bitterness
would probably limit me to two in one sitting.

07-22-2006 03:39:40 | More by westweasel
semihobo

2.83/5  rDev -30.8%

Bottle bears a faded mark, "Enjoy By Dec 17 08." Pours with a powerful ecru head, very fine bubbles on top, looks marvelous. Lace starts sticking the place up immediately as the head dies A clear dark cherry red color.

Resinous, high-powered hops on the smell. This is projecting a very tarry hop taste. Sweet malt background like digestive cookies (they are great if you don't know what I'm talking about) is perceptible as well. Low on citric characteristics, more of an earthy, syrupy hop scent.

After the warm up act by the smell, the taste continued in the same hop juice vein. Shudder inducing bitterness on the finish. The hops are rough and coarse and very bitter. Centennials? A little smoky and astringent.

Thick, juicy mouthfeel. Medium carbonation with soft bubble texture. Syrupy finish.

Clearly brewed by people who know what they're doing, it looks great and has a nice subtly crafted mouthfeel. Still, too much of a one-note IPA for me. Beats you over the head with the bitterness, would prefer more balance between hop flavor and sheer power. Don't really want another one.

09-10-2008 22:35:03 | More by semihobo
WoodBrew

2.83/5  rDev -30.8%

The smell is difficult for me....it smelled well....pukey. The Devil come strong with the hop and then leaves the palate dry and with a sour finish. The alcohol content with the hops makes it bitter, but not to bitter for this guy. It would be a tough session beer, but if on a dare I would go for it!

01-30-2011 19:07:15 | More by WoodBrew
Prufrock

2.85/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

on tap into a pilsner.

clear golden amber color with half an inch of white head that leaves slight lacing.

aroma is all hop bitter aromas; floral and pine.

flavor is all hops as well, floral and pine again but with a touch of hop spiciness as well. absolutely no attempt at balance or subtlety with this one. thin mouthfeel with a very bitter afteraste. obviously can't rate the drinkability too high.

01-08-2006 22:04:53 | More by Prufrock
stoutfiend27

2.85/5  rDev -30.3%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass

a-nice three finger head that lasted a good while..excellent lacing...nice cap that stayed on the beer...decent carbonation

s-floral hops a little citrus...malt is def there....slight medicinal smell

t-whoa...where are the hops...hiding behind that bitter acrid bite??? malt is huge...and tastes very soapy in end..

m-thin water and tad over carbonated to me..

d-would not drink this again even though ive had it before and dont remember it being this bad..

a big let down.. i really dont remember this beer being that bad in past..oh well...

12-03-2009 22:42:41 | More by stoutfiend27
WestCoastFan

2.86/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Maybe I've been spoiled by the IPA's in San Diego. It may also be a West Coast / East Coast thing but this just has too much malt for me. When I see something called "HopDevil" I expected a hop-bomb with no concern for balance. Like I said, it may be a WC/EC thing but it makes me tap my heals and chant: "There's No Place Like Home, There's No Place Like Home".

05-28-2013 19:43:39 | More by WestCoastFan
bradleyseven

2.88/5  rDev -29.6%

Poured into a mixing glass (american pint glass)

Visual:
amber-red-copper colored and transpearant. off-white head which went away quickly leaving some light lacing

Smell:
faint non-descript citrus and a little bit of pine and juniper

Taste:
toasted grain, slightest bit of whole-grain bread. Sharply bitter hopping but no clear/specific tastes

Body:
medium bodied, bite of hops really tends to lingers in the mouth

Drinkability:
I found this beer to be muddled, nothing tends to stand out; i was fairly unimpressed.

~E. Brad

02-06-2007 20:54:26 | More by bradleyseven
Mrduprey215

2.89/5  rDev -29.3%

Not too fond of this one from victory but an ok opener for the night. The "hop" is very evident in the taste.

01-09-2013 22:10:02 | More by Mrduprey215
TrickKnee

Connecticut

2.9/5  rDev -29.1%

I know I might get slammed for this review but i cant help it, I was really unimpressed with this beer. Poured a nice amber color and that is where the postives will stop. Maybe drinking the souble IPAs I have for awhile has ruined me but the taste for this beer was really not up to par with some other IPAs. Was a little too flowery for me. ANd the mouthfeel really left an aftertaste in your mouth. Not one of my favorite IPAs but i will be willing to give it a second chance.

09-08-2006 02:45:59 | More by TrickKnee
adammills

2.9/5  rDev -29.1%

This beer pours a crisp clean looking amber with a yellow orangish head that fades but does remain on top of the beer. Aroma is very weak. Some citrus notes, bitter smelling, no floral or fruit in the nose at all, disappointing. It is a shocking beer to the palate, all hops. Very blunt up front, citrusy, it seems as if the hop bitterness is overwhelming the hop flavor. Spicy hot from the hops, and they manage to cover the malt almost completely. Not well balanced. Could have used some more base malt in my estimation, because kicking it up to eight percent may have balanced this beer more. Worth the try, but I would not purchase this beer again.

01-24-2007 03:04:06 | More by adammills
champ103

2.9/5  rDev -29.1%

A: Pours a deep amber orange color. A small white head forms and leaves spotty lace.
S: Floral, piny, and grapefruit hops. Lots of bitter hops and not much malt detected.
T: Bitter hops of grapefruit and citrus. Almost no malt balance whatsoever.
M/D: A medium body with a crisp snap of carbonation. The bitterness makes this hard from me to drink and session.

I am not a big fan of IPA's, though there are some I enjoy. This is not one of them. Not the worst beer or IPA I have had, but I was not very impressed. Lots of bitterness and no depth IMO.

09-24-2008 03:44:30 | More by champ103
AleWatcher

2.9/5  rDev -29.1%

reviewed from notes. served in pint glass.
date on the bottle says- drink before October 18th.

Pours a deep copper color with a foamy tan hand-- a sandy color head. The body seems a little orangey now. The retention is very nice-- it forms a rocky landscape of bubbly mountains. The body looks thin, but the lacing is ok.

The flavor is big malts- slightly bready, big sweetness too. Some caramel malts and then a some hops come in. In the nose, all I get is some malts with a citrusy hop bite. The taste is muuuch sweeter than expected. The finish is kind of dry. A piney/resiny aftertaste... Some grapefruit comes through, especially in regards to the bitterness. A yeast note reminds me of the yeast used in English mild ales.

The body is oily but thin. Not thick at all, but lacking carbonation.

Not a beer I will get again. Nothing truly offends me about, but nothing really gets me excited either.

08-25-2010 03:13:37 | More by AleWatcher
bowz32

2.9/5  rDev -29.1%

Head was medium lasting and steady.
Color was light redish brown slightly cloudly.
Smell was a sour grainy grapefruit.
Inital taste had a a byte at first but soon faded away had a grainy tatse similar to the smell with a long lasting after taste.
The body was medium to lite with average carbination.

Bought a 6 pack at the cork and cap in fot wayne IN i thought it was kind of expensive. wouldnt try it again.

04-08-2011 23:48:32 | More by bowz32
viverlee

2.9/5  rDev -29.1%

The first beer I’ve reviewed that I drank the night before. Contemporary notes, belated verdict.

STYLE: American IPA

ABV: 6.7%

LOOK: Caramel candy, almonds, khaki head.

NOSE: Pineapple, grapefruit, apple juice. Smells like Smoothie King. What’s expected but missing is that woody, piney nose. Bit of a letdown.

MOUTH: Unsweetened grapefruit and lemon dash. Missing the little details. Too hop forward, the bitterness squirts into the mouth and leaves an abrupt, rusty finish.

Beeradvocate Rating: 91

Hayward Abbey Rating: 78

07-18-2012 03:09:10 | More by viverlee
ElGuapo

2.95/5  rDev -27.9%

she's got some kick, but it is a little spicy for me. as far as ipa's go, this one is definitlely one of the best. You will get a load of hops with this brew. It is a pretty intense beer because the hops and carbonation team up to give you a kick in the pants.

The aromas are also wonderful as you are engulfed in an array of spices that makes you want to leap into the glass. I will definitely have to get this one again now that i have some more IPAs to compare it to.

After I have developed a love for IPAs, this one has to be sampled again.

07-03-2002 10:01:50 | More by ElGuapo
Hortus

Washington

2.95/5  rDev -27.9%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Bottle has a date stamp 'Enjoy by may 14th, 07. Date of this tasting: Feb. 07, 2007.

Appearance - clear. Rich Orangish/red color. Very minimal head but stays throughout.

Smell - some hop but less than I expected for a 'hop devil'. In fact, I'm having a hard time getting much out of the aroma. Some cereal characteristics in the malt

Taste - bittering hops definitely come through. Decent malt flavor but takes a back seat to the bitter. Malt does begin to come forward as beer warms. The main characteristic of this beer seems to be the bittering hops.

Mouthfeel - A little thin for a 6.7 ABV

Drinkability - good if you are looking for a focus on bittering hops and for the same reason not a good session beer.

02-07-2007 02:12:13 | More by Hortus
BB1313

2.95/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Enjoy by Oct. 12, 2010. 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a copper color w/ little head and lacing. Has a subtle fruity aroma. The taste is very bitter and unbalanced. Grapefruit notes w/ hints of carmel, pretty piney. Mouthfeel and drinkability is ok.

I suppose this just isn't my kind of IPA. The bitterness was just too much, and don't get me wrong, I like bitter beers. This beer is well brewed and a nice representation of the style, just not for me.

08-07-2010 03:33:59 | More by BB1313
AndrewR

2.95/5  rDev -27.9%

gorgeous crystalline toffee color with 1/2 in. head, receding fast. aromatically challenged, wound up tight. fresh baked bread with concord grape jam, burnt popcorn, perfume counter at the mall on the nose. medium mouthfeel with disappearing to zero midpalate that transitions into short sappy bark plummy abrupt finish. big pazzz on this...

07-14-2011 01:44:31 | More by AndrewR
diamondc

2.98/5  rDev -27.1%

Picked up a single for $1.99. Best By Nov. 29 09

So much for the 'pale' part of India Pale Ale. More of a burnt orange, copper color appearance. A nice foam of head that leaves some light scattered lacing.

Smells like burnt toast, old pine trees, talcum powder. Nothing really floral or grapefruit-y here.

Taste is just intense pine tree sap, spicy herbal-ness, warm grapefruit juice. No real sweetness here, just that intense dry after taste from the hops that is really unappealing.

I think the beer is too unbalanced for my tastes. Glad I only bought a single.

10-13-2009 03:29:26 | More by diamondc
skillerified

Nice color. Paints the glass in delicious looking amber, red and orange hues. About a finger on the head and it seems to be sticking around. Solid lacing. Some slow moving carbonation is visible too. About as appetizing looking a beer as I can remember. Seems a little darker than some other IPAs I've tried.

The sniffer likes this one. A good balance of pine, lemon and other citrus scents. A distinctly hoppy scent. Just a hint of spice too. Smells delicious.

Taste somehow seems really weak to me. I'm not getting much beyond a faint caramel flavor at the finish. Just a hint of pine spice in there too. Am I missing something? This doesn't seem right. It's not that it tastes bad, it just doesn't taste like much of anything. Quite a disappointment.

Extremely smooth and mellow mouthfeel. I was really surprised by that. A good balance of bitter and sweet. Not much finish though.

I can't help but feel I've missed something in the taste department. I have another bottle that I'll use as a comparison later and edit this if necessary, but there's just nothing there. Really disappointing. I really like the mouthfeel. It's surprising for an IPA, but is that enough to keep drinking these? I doubt it.

01-29-2006 09:54:34 | More by skillerified
Hoppington

I have to disagree with the experts on this one. This just didn't quite do it for me and I was dissapointed and felt the hophead experience wasn't there. That's what I get for looking at the "RateBeer" rating that many retailers are now posting in the beer cases next to the beers. For my palate, I think Troeg's Hopback Amber Ale is a better pick in this category. Just not hoppy enough for what I consider to constitute a great American IPA. I think this beer is *much* better on tap than in the bottle. With a name like "HopDevil" this beer should be sinfully hoppy!

Don't get me wrong - this was OK and quite drinkable, but compared to other offerings out there in the American IPA category, this one comes up average across the board to my taste buds. Again, a fine beer, but the line of better American IPAs is long and getting longer!

01-02-2008 00:47:59 | More by Hoppington
Sachsenfreude

Germany

I usually stay away from IPA beer but my friend had some of these so I thought to give it a try.

It poured a pale murky yellow with a nice head and decent retention. The smell was almost all citrusy hops and then the taste....not something I enjoyed. Almost no malt flavors just powerful lemon rind hop bitterness with a sharp dry to dehydrating finish. Very unbalanced, tasted like sucking on a hop pellet. I know this is an IPA but damn, just over the top and lacking any complexities. Anyone could over hop a beer and produce the same result. The mouthfeel was very crisp, loose and dry, about what I would expect for the style. I will praise this beer for its drinkability though. Despite its obnoxious hoppyness, it's surprisingly easy to drink and that is quite remarkable in itself.

This really wasn't an awful beer but like so many of this style it seems to have lost touch with what a beer really is, a malt beverage, hops should be used mainly for the preservative qualities and complement the malts. I guess I'll never understand the whole IPA hype.

10-25-2010 07:07:23 | More by Sachsenfreude
JednoPivoProsim

Maryland

Poured from 12 oz bottle into an Ommegang 10 year anniversary tulip. Enjoy by Mar 18 2011.

Appearance: Pours a decent head, nothing spectacular, not bad either. Receding quickly. Dark orange and cloudy, not a lot of carbonation activity.

Smell: Light citrus on the nose. Not overwhelming. I can smell a little alcohol, like what I would expect from a Winter Warmer or something.

Taste: Definitely a bitter beer, but not quite the piney bitterness I was expecting/hoping for. I'm having a hard time putting my finger on a distinctive taste.

Mouthfeel: I'm disappointed. It is very watery and the carbonation is almost non-existent. It tastes/feels almost flat (and this is the second one I've tried tonight).

Drinkability: No problems here, but based on everything else, I'm not sure I want another.

Overall: This came as a recommendation from a friend when I told him I was picking up some Prima Pils. I want to enjoy Victory's offerings, as it is a relatively local brewery, but I seem to have a hard time finding really fresh tasting examples.

01-20-2011 00:39:49 | More by JednoPivoProsim