Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros

2.03/5  rDev -50.2%

A- light mahogany, lbig 1 inch frothy head

S- def a solid caramel backbone, fruit hopsmell in there, but not as much hop smell as an ipa should

T- wheres the hops? decent bitterness, but no hop flavor, watery, matallic taste, HAS THIS BEER GONE BAD?

m- WATERY

D- not enjoyable at all

2.08/5  rDev -49%

I was very hesitant to write this review. American IPA's are my favorite style of brew. This beer is highly recommended so I thought it must be good. After drinking my first I thought I had a bad bottle. It was poor, make that very poor for any style of beer. I did not write a review cause I thought I must have a bad batch. 4 weeks later I buy another sixer. Same crap! This time I did a blind taste test with Broken Halo, Avery IPA, Great Divide IPA, and this mess. I could pick this thing out blindfolded every time, and not for good reasons.
It looks good nice color and head. But that is where good ends and bad to worse starts. It smells like a decent IPA with malts and lots of hops but then a whiff of, (I don't know what) hits me. I really don't know what to call it, plastic? or soap. Whatever the smell is it is even more prevalent in the taste. A very distinctive yuck aftertaste. To its credit the beer is much better as it warms but I will be very gun shy about trying another.

2.15/5  rDev -47.3%

A - Poured a dark amber/copper into a clean pint glass. Appears to be lightly carbonated w/o much head.

S - Smells like a bum farted onto a pine cone... Seriously... The bottle reads "Enjoy by Sept 19 2010"

T - Cheesy hop flavor, combined with a saltwater taffy malt character, and a lingering resinous bitterness.

M - Medium body, flaccid carbonation

D - I've heard good things but please stop shipping your beer to California if it's going to arrive ruined.

2.18/5  rDev -46.6%

All in all not a great taste. They threw a ton of spices together and prayed... an overpowering taste of hops. Very heavy flavor. I guess a lot of people are into that though. Not me though, not a smooth beer and certainly not good flavor. I would not recommend this overpriced and overrated beer to anyone.

2.23/5  rDev -45.3%

wow, i was very disappointed with this one, there is no balance to this brew just over the top hops, this needs some malt flavor very badly. aroma is very strange and not plesant, i wish i would not have bought an entire six pack of this.

I ususally like highly hopped beers but this one is just too one-dimensional, i guess most others disagree but i can't understand why this is so highly rated.

2.25/5  rDev -44.9%

Ouch! Hop Devil deilivers, as promised. There's definitely a time and place for beers like this. Hopefully, I'll find one or the other, so that my tongue didn't writhe in vain.

"Would you like some malt to go with those hops?"

2.3/5  rDev -43.6%

Pours a translucent amber color as you would expect, with little head. Upon the first sniff I proclaimed to myself 'It smells like Budweiser' and to me, it does, absolutely nothing here for me in the smell department. Upon taste, it kinda tastes like budweiser too, although with the typical hoppy bitterness of ales. The mouthfeel is very bright on the tounge, too much carbonation for my tastes. I suppose this might be a good session beer if you want something like an american lager with hops. But I might recommend looking for something else in the American IPA department.

2.3/5  rDev -43.6%

This bottle was poured into my samual adams perfect pint glass i purchased at the sycamore Hy-Vee for $2.95 that i rinsed and let air dry before serving beverages. Glass temperature was room temp which is about 60 degrees.

Pour has a solid head about 3 fingers tall and leaves lacing. The color is dark for an ipa by todays standards, and i say is a dead on match to "alloy orange", with the hex triplet code #C46210. google it.

Aroma lets you know this is an IPA, kinda. There are a bit more then a balanced load of hops poking out of here but not by much. A notion of Grapefruits amid evergreen saps float barely over some toasted caramel malts.

The flavors are more unimpressive, IPAs have really evolved a long way since this was a top tier offering, and really shows how uni-dimensional the use of cascade hops can be. That said this comes out as a beer that tastes exactly like you would expect in that there is grapefruit/citrus, some pine notes, layered over a caramel backbone. sounds like a blueprint for mediocrity.

The mouthfeel is slightly low in carbonation from center, resulting in a slightly sweeter finish and creamy feel. Needs to be dryer.

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

Pours a medium copper color with a nice short but firm white head.

Nose is Sweet malt and ripe peaches (no hop character in nose) but a very pleasant almost assertive "good Belgian" nose.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, no creamy character but with huge hop bitter flavors with underlying lightly sweet malt. Bitter hops and malt to not juxstapose well; not well balanced and the layers are not integrated. Very bitter pine resin flavors that are inconsistent with the nose that is not the floral dry hop character or the pineapple character of a big hoppy beer but more candi sugar.

Flavors are not consistent with nose at all. There is no bright character, no crisp, clean or desireable character to the flavors of this beer. It's sort of "bitter for bitter's sake."

Finish is the biggest bitter (unpleasant) pine resin character I've had to date, and not a good bitterness but a "chemical" or synthetic bitter character. I can't see this being a beer to drink.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company