Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,430 | Hads: 6,874
2.8/5  rDev -31.2%

A: clear amber, no visible carbonation, a brief and nearly non-existent head and no lacing.

S: sweet floral hops, roasted malt, a little funk. It actually smells a little bit like dog food, not sure what that means...

T: a little malt sweetness up front then a kind of generic hop taste, a little stale even. Super strong, dry, bitter finish. Kind of makes me go "ackkk." I have a taste in the back of my throat the tastes like bile.

M: very low carbonation, medium but almost syrupy body. A finish that is dry as a desert.

D: this made me a little sick. It's got a bitter finish that I just can't shake. (609 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -31%

Had I reviewed this before joining BA, it would most assuredly end up 4+. Having had it last night, however, I'm relatively disappointed. In fairness, I may be teetering on "snob" instead of "advocate" because few things really wow me anymore.

The beer looks good, as it's a hazy bronze. Head coulda lasted a little longer (almost always, I know). Smell ain't even close to what I consider hoppy anymore. I bought a sixer yesterday at Lowes OIB, and as soon as I smelled my first one, I thought "of fuck, another malt bomb!" :-(

Unfortunately, my taste buds confirm my suspicions. I really used to enjoy this beer--long before I got into locals--so this experience is a real-life experience in disappointing realism and the apathy of nature. Only because I used to enjoy this beer do I not rate it lower.

It's malty--feels like it, tastes like it, etc. It's just a disappointment--where are the yummy, citrusy hops to which I've become accustomed? This malt bomb is no hop devil! To hell with this devil!! (1,010 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -30.7%

I honestly gave this beer a few chances before I reviewed it. Now I'm convinced. This beer is just not that good overall, and definitely not a good IPA. I have no idea why this beer is rated so high. Amber body with not much of a head. Nice sweet hoppy aroma with some citrus that even my gf liked. Taste is a different story though. Is this a marco pale ale Im drinking? Where the hell is the flavor? It tastes so stale and bland in my opinion. Watered down. Dead hop flavor. I need some hops here. They call this beer HopDevil? I call that false advertising. (560 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, dark-amber in color, clear, moderate carbonation

Smell: citrus hops and a bit of caramel

Taste: citrus and pine hops with a touch of caramel--once this one warms though all I can taste are IBUs

Mouthfeel: medium-high carbonation, medium bodied, sweet start with a bitter back and finish--once I ate food this became super bitter

Overall: Before food, this was fine..After food--just a big hoppy IBU monster. A must do for hopheads, but one I could not finish. I appreciate the veracity of the hops, but I wanted something just a bit less bitter. (576 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -29.5%

This beer pours a crisp clean looking amber with a yellow orangish head that fades but does remain on top of the beer. Aroma is very weak. Some citrus notes, bitter smelling, no floral or fruit in the nose at all, disappointing. It is a shocking beer to the palate, all hops. Very blunt up front, citrusy, it seems as if the hop bitterness is overwhelming the hop flavor. Spicy hot from the hops, and they manage to cover the malt almost completely. Not well balanced. Could have used some more base malt in my estimation, because kicking it up to eight percent may have balanced this beer more. Worth the try, but I would not purchase this beer again. (652 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Maybe I've been spoiled by the IPA's in San Diego. It may also be a West Coast / East Coast thing but this just has too much malt for me. When I see something called "HopDevil" I expected a hop-bomb with no concern for balance. Like I said, it may be a WC/EC thing but it makes me tap my heals and chant: "There's No Place Like Home, There's No Place Like Home". (362 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -29.2%

Bottle bears a faded mark, "Enjoy By Dec 17 08." Pours with a powerful ecru head, very fine bubbles on top, looks marvelous. Lace starts sticking the place up immediately as the head dies A clear dark cherry red color.

Resinous, high-powered hops on the smell. This is projecting a very tarry hop taste. Sweet malt background like digestive cookies (they are great if you don't know what I'm talking about) is perceptible as well. Low on citric characteristics, more of an earthy, syrupy hop scent.

After the warm up act by the smell, the taste continued in the same hop juice vein. Shudder inducing bitterness on the finish. The hops are rough and coarse and very bitter. Centennials? A little smoky and astringent.

Thick, juicy mouthfeel. Medium carbonation with soft bubble texture. Syrupy finish.

Clearly brewed by people who know what they're doing, it looks great and has a nice subtly crafted mouthfeel. Still, too much of a one-note IPA for me. Beats you over the head with the bitterness, would prefer more balance between hop flavor and sheer power. Don't really want another one. (1,094 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -29.2%

Head was medium lasting and steady.
Color was light redish brown slightly cloudly.
Smell was a sour grainy grapefruit.
Inital taste had a a byte at first but soon faded away had a grainy tatse similar to the smell with a long lasting after taste.
The body was medium to lite with average carbination.

Bought a 6 pack at the cork and cap in fot wayne IN i thought it was kind of expensive. wouldnt try it again. (411 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%

I know I might get slammed for this review but i cant help it, I was really unimpressed with this beer. Poured a nice amber color and that is where the postives will stop. Maybe drinking the souble IPAs I have for awhile has ruined me but the taste for this beer was really not up to par with some other IPAs. Was a little too flowery for me. ANd the mouthfeel really left an aftertaste in your mouth. Not one of my favorite IPAs but i will be willing to give it a second chance. (479 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%

reviewed from notes. served in pint glass.
date on the bottle says- drink before October 18th.

Pours a deep copper color with a foamy tan hand-- a sandy color head. The body seems a little orangey now. The retention is very nice-- it forms a rocky landscape of bubbly mountains. The body looks thin, but the lacing is ok.

The flavor is big malts- slightly bready, big sweetness too. Some caramel malts and then a some hops come in. In the nose, all I get is some malts with a citrusy hop bite. The taste is muuuch sweeter than expected. The finish is kind of dry. A piney/resiny aftertaste... Some grapefruit comes through, especially in regards to the bitterness. A yeast note reminds me of the yeast used in English mild ales.

The body is oily but thin. Not thick at all, but lacking carbonation.

Not a beer I will get again. Nothing truly offends me about, but nothing really gets me excited either. (906 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: [3.75] Beer has a nice caramel color. Very minimal head formation. Bottle lists ABV (6.7%) and best by (02/23/15).

S: [3.00] I get sweet notes like caramel. Not what I was expecting for an IPA. Nothing aggressive like pine or citrus.

T: [2.75] The taste is mostly malt. There are no hops present at all. There is a sweet mild caramel flavor. There might be a hint of bubble gum on teh finish.

M: [3.00] The carbonation level is slightly elevated but appropriate. Nothing bitter or lingering.

O: [2.75] I feel like I got jipped. I wanted a nice hoppy IPA for the night and I feel like I got lager. This has none of the characteristics of an IPA. Overall I just feel like this beer could not be more average. Nothing stands out. I might have to seek out a fresh one and re-rate in the future. (814 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured into a mixing glass (american pint glass)

Visual:
amber-red-copper colored and transpearant. off-white head which went away quickly leaving some light lacing

Smell:
faint non-descript citrus and a little bit of pine and juniper

Taste:
toasted grain, slightest bit of whole-grain bread. Sharply bitter hopping but no clear/specific tastes

Body:
medium bodied, bite of hops really tends to lingers in the mouth

Drinkability:
I found this beer to be muddled, nothing tends to stand out; i was fairly unimpressed.

~E. Brad (548 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -28.3%

Poured from a bottle into a tall pilsner. The beer poured a clear amber red with a nice looking 2 inch off white fluffy foam head leaving rings of lacing behind after each sip. The smell was impressive with strong piney hops jumping out of the glass followed by a faint hop smell. Full flavored with bitter hop spice bite followed by a not so pleasant tinny metallic taste. The beer finishes even more bitter than it begins. The beer was well carbonated leaving behind a slick piney feel. Sorry to say a was a bit disappointed by this one. Looked forward to it after all the good reviews but was not blown away. Unfortunately I think Troegs has set the bar a little too high with Nugget and even Hopback Amber. All the other hop selections have fallen short. Worth trying but not what its hyped up to be. (804 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

on tap into a pilsner.

clear golden amber color with half an inch of white head that leaves slight lacing.

aroma is all hop bitter aromas; floral and pine.

flavor is all hops as well, floral and pine again but with a touch of hop spiciness as well. absolutely no attempt at balance or subtlety with this one. thin mouthfeel with a very bitter afteraste. obviously can't rate the drinkability too high. (410 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -28%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass

a-nice three finger head that lasted a good while..excellent lacing...nice cap that stayed on the beer...decent carbonation

s-floral hops a little citrus...malt is def there....slight medicinal smell

t-whoa...where are the hops...hiding behind that bitter acrid bite??? malt is huge...and tastes very soapy in end..

m-thin water and tad over carbonated to me..

d-would not drink this again even though ive had it before and dont remember it being this bad..

a big let down.. i really dont remember this beer being that bad in past..oh well... (583 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Bottle has a date stamp 'Enjoy by may 14th, 07. Date of this tasting: Feb. 07, 2007.

Appearance - clear. Rich Orangish/red color. Very minimal head but stays throughout.

Smell - some hop but less than I expected for a 'hop devil'. In fact, I'm having a hard time getting much out of the aroma. Some cereal characteristics in the malt

Taste - bittering hops definitely come through. Decent malt flavor but takes a back seat to the bitter. Malt does begin to come forward as beer warms. The main characteristic of this beer seems to be the bittering hops.

Mouthfeel - A little thin for a 6.7 ABV

Drinkability - good if you are looking for a focus on bittering hops and for the same reason not a good session beer. (764 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -27.8%

gorgeous crystalline toffee color with 1/2 in. head, receding fast. aromatically challenged, wound up tight. fresh baked bread with concord grape jam, burnt popcorn, perfume counter at the mall on the nose. medium mouthfeel with disappearing to zero midpalate that transitions into short sappy bark plummy abrupt finish. big pazzz on this... (341 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Enjoy by Oct. 12, 2010. 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a copper color w/ little head and lacing. Has a subtle fruity aroma. The taste is very bitter and unbalanced. Grapefruit notes w/ hints of carmel, pretty piney. Mouthfeel and drinkability is ok.

I suppose this just isn't my kind of IPA. The bitterness was just too much, and don't get me wrong, I like bitter beers. This beer is well brewed and a nice representation of the style, just not for me. (476 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

A: Pours a deep amber orange color. A small white head forms and leaves spotty lace.
S: Floral, piny, and grapefruit hops. Lots of bitter hops and not much malt detected.
T: Bitter hops of grapefruit and citrus. Almost no malt balance whatsoever.
M/D: A medium body with a crisp snap of carbonation. The bitterness makes this hard from me to drink and session.

I am not a big fan of IPA's, though there are some I enjoy. This is not one of them. Not the worst beer or IPA I have had, but I was not very impressed. Lots of bitterness and no depth IMO. (551 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

The first beer I’ve reviewed that I drank the night before. Contemporary notes, belated verdict.

STYLE: American IPA

ABV: 6.7%

LOOK: Caramel candy, almonds, khaki head.

NOSE: Pineapple, grapefruit, apple juice. Smells like Smoothie King. What’s expected but missing is that woody, piney nose. Bit of a letdown.

MOUTH: Unsweetened grapefruit and lemon dash. Missing the little details. Too hop forward, the bitterness squirts into the mouth and leaves an abrupt, rusty finish.

Beeradvocate Rating: 91

Hayward Abbey Rating: 78 (535 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

she's got some kick, but it is a little spicy for me. as far as ipa's go, this one is definitlely one of the best. You will get a load of hops with this brew. It is a pretty intense beer because the hops and carbonation team up to give you a kick in the pants.

The aromas are also wonderful as you are engulfed in an array of spices that makes you want to leap into the glass. I will definitely have to get this one again now that i have some more IPAs to compare it to.

After I have developed a love for IPAs, this one has to be sampled again. (552 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -26.8%

Picked up a single for $1.99. Best By Nov. 29 09

So much for the 'pale' part of India Pale Ale. More of a burnt orange, copper color appearance. A nice foam of head that leaves some light scattered lacing.

Smells like burnt toast, old pine trees, talcum powder. Nothing really floral or grapefruit-y here.

Taste is just intense pine tree sap, spicy herbal-ness, warm grapefruit juice. No real sweetness here, just that intense dry after taste from the hops that is really unappealing.

I think the beer is too unbalanced for my tastes. Glad I only bought a single. (570 characters)

I have to disagree with the experts on this one. This just didn't quite do it for me and I was dissapointed and felt the hophead experience wasn't there. That's what I get for looking at the "RateBeer" rating that many retailers are now posting in the beer cases next to the beers. For my palate, I think Troeg's Hopback Amber Ale is a better pick in this category. Just not hoppy enough for what I consider to constitute a great American IPA. I think this beer is *much* better on tap than in the bottle. With a name like "HopDevil" this beer should be sinfully hoppy!

Don't get me wrong - this was OK and quite drinkable, but compared to other offerings out there in the American IPA category, this one comes up average across the board to my taste buds. Again, a fine beer, but the line of better American IPAs is long and getting longer! (842 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -26%

Best by jul 17, 2011

A: pours a rusty orange ale with excellent clarity. Single finger peanut foam leans into a thin quilt of the same. Ringed lacing.

S: very malty for an ipa. My initial thoughts are how this reminds me of an ipa Called Indica by Lost Coast IIRC. Rich sweet and caramelly malts are complimented with some ruddy, grassy hops. A hint of aluminum. A little too malty for the style IMO.

T: good bitter pinch up front melts into a spiced malt profile. Fairly interesting. Some tastes of orange peels, hibiscus flower, tea (orange pekoe, room temp). More reminds me of an amped up amber with all the malt action.

M: medium to full bodied for the style. Low carb. Slick finish with a decent resonance.

O: looks good, smells and taste are more like an amber or red ale to me. Can't say I really care for this one. (832 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into an Ommegang 10 year anniversary tulip. Enjoy by Mar 18 2011.

Appearance: Pours a decent head, nothing spectacular, not bad either. Receding quickly. Dark orange and cloudy, not a lot of carbonation activity.

Smell: Light citrus on the nose. Not overwhelming. I can smell a little alcohol, like what I would expect from a Winter Warmer or something.

Taste: Definitely a bitter beer, but not quite the piney bitterness I was expecting/hoping for. I'm having a hard time putting my finger on a distinctive taste.

Mouthfeel: I'm disappointed. It is very watery and the carbonation is almost non-existent. It tastes/feels almost flat (and this is the second one I've tried tonight).

Drinkability: No problems here, but based on everything else, I'm not sure I want another.

Overall: This came as a recommendation from a friend when I told him I was picking up some Prima Pils. I want to enjoy Victory's offerings, as it is a relatively local brewery, but I seem to have a hard time finding really fresh tasting examples. (1,051 characters)

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company