Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros

Weisseguy1, Aug 30, 2013

TEKNISHE, Aug 13, 2013

m0ntels, Apr 22, 2012

rgille2, Apr 27, 2013

SoupKitchenBeerSnob, Apr 13, 2014

ctrevino, Sep 02, 2012
2.78/5  rDev -31.9%

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, dark-amber in color, clear, moderate carbonation

Smell: citrus hops and a bit of caramel

Taste: citrus and pine hops with a touch of caramel--once this one warms though all I can taste are IBUs

Mouthfeel: medium-high carbonation, medium bodied, sweet start with a bitter back and finish--once I ate food this became super bitter

Overall: Before food, this was fine..After food--just a big hoppy IBU monster. A must do for hopheads, but one I could not finish. I appreciate the veracity of the hops, but I wanted something just a bit less bitter.

tigg924, Aug 28, 2011
2.78/5  rDev -31.9%

A: clear amber, no visible carbonation, a brief and nearly non-existent head and no lacing.

S: sweet floral hops, roasted malt, a little funk. It actually smells a little bit like dog food, not sure what that means...

T: a little malt sweetness up front then a kind of generic hop taste, a little stale even. Super strong, dry, bitter finish. Kind of makes me go "ackkk." I have a taste in the back of my throat the tastes like bile.

M: very low carbonation, medium but almost syrupy body. A finish that is dry as a desert.

D: this made me a little sick. It's got a bitter finish that I just can't shake.

nickhiller, Nov 01, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -31.4%

Had I reviewed this before joining BA, it would most assuredly end up 4+. Having had it last night, however, I'm relatively disappointed. In fairness, I may be teetering on "snob" instead of "advocate" because few things really wow me anymore.

The beer looks good, as it's a hazy bronze. Head coulda lasted a little longer (almost always, I know). Smell ain't even close to what I consider hoppy anymore. I bought a sixer yesterday at Lowes OIB, and as soon as I smelled my first one, I thought "of fuck, another malt bomb!" :-(

Unfortunately, my taste buds confirm my suspicions. I really used to enjoy this beer--long before I got into locals--so this experience is a real-life experience in disappointing realism and the apathy of nature. Only because I used to enjoy this beer do I not rate it lower.

It's malty--feels like it, tastes like it, etc. It's just a disappointment--where are the yummy, citrusy hops to which I've become accustomed? This malt bomb is no hop devil! To hell with this devil!!

marvin213, Aug 12, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -31.4%

Poured from a bottle into a tall pilsner. The beer poured a clear amber red with a nice looking 2 inch off white fluffy foam head leaving rings of lacing behind after each sip. The smell was impressive with strong piney hops jumping out of the glass followed by a faint hop smell. Full flavored with bitter hop spice bite followed by a not so pleasant tinny metallic taste. The beer finishes even more bitter than it begins. The beer was well carbonated leaving behind a slick piney feel. Sorry to say a was a bit disappointed by this one. Looked forward to it after all the good reviews but was not blown away. Unfortunately I think Troegs has set the bar a little too high with Nugget and even Hopback Amber. All the other hop selections have fallen short. Worth trying but not what its hyped up to be.

hyland24, Apr 23, 2008
2.83/5  rDev -30.6%

The smell is difficult for me....it smelled well....pukey. The Devil come strong with the hop and then leaves the palate dry and with a sour finish. The alcohol content with the hops makes it bitter, but not to bitter for this guy. It would be a tough session beer, but if on a dare I would go for it!

WoodBrew, Jan 30, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -30.6%

Bottle bears a faded mark, "Enjoy By Dec 17 08." Pours with a powerful ecru head, very fine bubbles on top, looks marvelous. Lace starts sticking the place up immediately as the head dies A clear dark cherry red color.

Resinous, high-powered hops on the smell. This is projecting a very tarry hop taste. Sweet malt background like digestive cookies (they are great if you don't know what I'm talking about) is perceptible as well. Low on citric characteristics, more of an earthy, syrupy hop scent.

After the warm up act by the smell, the taste continued in the same hop juice vein. Shudder inducing bitterness on the finish. The hops are rough and coarse and very bitter. Centennials? A little smoky and astringent.

Thick, juicy mouthfeel. Medium carbonation with soft bubble texture. Syrupy finish.

Clearly brewed by people who know what they're doing, it looks great and has a nice subtly crafted mouthfeel. Still, too much of a one-note IPA for me. Beats you over the head with the bitterness, would prefer more balance between hop flavor and sheer power. Don't really want another one.

semihobo, Sep 10, 2008

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. The beer poured out a very clear, dark
copper color with an off-white 1/4 inch head. The aroma was
dissapointing.I was expecting a strong hop scent. Instead this beer
has a very light, barely noticeable hop aroma. More floral than citrus.
Also a very, very light malt scent.

The taste was pretty much just hops. It was a bitter taste - which I
usually enjoy. But this one was fairly uninteresting. Like one strong
bitter flavor - not a mix of flavors.

The mouthfeel was light-to-medium with a bitter, dry finish. The
drinkability was good. The first glass was enjoyable. The bitterness
would probably limit me to two in one sitting.

westweasel, Jul 22, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -30.1%

on tap into a pilsner.

clear golden amber color with half an inch of white head that leaves slight lacing.

aroma is all hop bitter aromas; floral and pine.

flavor is all hops as well, floral and pine again but with a touch of hop spiciness as well. absolutely no attempt at balance or subtlety with this one. thin mouthfeel with a very bitter afteraste. obviously can't rate the drinkability too high.

Prufrock, Jan 08, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -30.1%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass

a-nice three finger head that lasted a good while..excellent lacing...nice cap that stayed on the beer...decent carbonation

s-floral hops a little citrus...malt is def there....slight medicinal smell

t-whoa...where are the hops...hiding behind that bitter acrid bite??? malt is huge...and tastes very soapy in end..

m-thin water and tad over carbonated to me..

d-would not drink this again even though ive had it before and dont remember it being this bad..

a big let down.. i really dont remember this beer being that bad in past..oh well...

stoutfiend27, Dec 03, 2009
2.86/5  rDev -29.9%

Maybe I've been spoiled by the IPA's in San Diego. It may also be a West Coast / East Coast thing but this just has too much malt for me. When I see something called "HopDevil" I expected a hop-bomb with no concern for balance. Like I said, it may be a WC/EC thing but it makes me tap my heals and chant: "There's No Place Like Home, There's No Place Like Home".

WestCoastFan, May 28, 2013
2.88/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured into a mixing glass (american pint glass)

Visual:
amber-red-copper colored and transpearant. off-white head which went away quickly leaving some light lacing

Smell:
faint non-descript citrus and a little bit of pine and juniper

Taste:
toasted grain, slightest bit of whole-grain bread. Sharply bitter hopping but no clear/specific tastes

Body:
medium bodied, bite of hops really tends to lingers in the mouth

Drinkability:
I found this beer to be muddled, nothing tends to stand out; i was fairly unimpressed.

~E. Brad

bradleyseven, Feb 06, 2007
2.89/5  rDev -29.2%

Not too fond of this one from victory but an ok opener for the night. The "hop" is very evident in the taste.

Mrduprey215, Jan 09, 2013
2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

I know I might get slammed for this review but i cant help it, I was really unimpressed with this beer. Poured a nice amber color and that is where the postives will stop. Maybe drinking the souble IPAs I have for awhile has ruined me but the taste for this beer was really not up to par with some other IPAs. Was a little too flowery for me. ANd the mouthfeel really left an aftertaste in your mouth. Not one of my favorite IPAs but i will be willing to give it a second chance.

TrickKnee, Sep 08, 2006
2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

Enjoy by Oct. 12, 2010. 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a copper color w/ little head and lacing. Has a subtle fruity aroma. The taste is very bitter and unbalanced. Grapefruit notes w/ hints of carmel, pretty piney. Mouthfeel and drinkability is ok.

I suppose this just isn't my kind of IPA. The bitterness was just too much, and don't get me wrong, I like bitter beers. This beer is well brewed and a nice representation of the style, just not for me.

BB1313, Aug 07, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

reviewed from notes. served in pint glass.
date on the bottle says- drink before October 18th.

Pours a deep copper color with a foamy tan hand-- a sandy color head. The body seems a little orangey now. The retention is very nice-- it forms a rocky landscape of bubbly mountains. The body looks thin, but the lacing is ok.

The flavor is big malts- slightly bready, big sweetness too. Some caramel malts and then a some hops come in. In the nose, all I get is some malts with a citrusy hop bite. The taste is muuuch sweeter than expected. The finish is kind of dry. A piney/resiny aftertaste... Some grapefruit comes through, especially in regards to the bitterness. A yeast note reminds me of the yeast used in English mild ales.

The body is oily but thin. Not thick at all, but lacking carbonation.

Not a beer I will get again. Nothing truly offends me about, but nothing really gets me excited either.

AleWatcher, Aug 25, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

A: Pours a deep amber orange color. A small white head forms and leaves spotty lace.
S: Floral, piny, and grapefruit hops. Lots of bitter hops and not much malt detected.
T: Bitter hops of grapefruit and citrus. Almost no malt balance whatsoever.
M/D: A medium body with a crisp snap of carbonation. The bitterness makes this hard from me to drink and session.

I am not a big fan of IPA's, though there are some I enjoy. This is not one of them. Not the worst beer or IPA I have had, but I was not very impressed. Lots of bitterness and no depth IMO.

champ103, Sep 24, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

This beer pours a crisp clean looking amber with a yellow orangish head that fades but does remain on top of the beer. Aroma is very weak. Some citrus notes, bitter smelling, no floral or fruit in the nose at all, disappointing. It is a shocking beer to the palate, all hops. Very blunt up front, citrusy, it seems as if the hop bitterness is overwhelming the hop flavor. Spicy hot from the hops, and they manage to cover the malt almost completely. Not well balanced. Could have used some more base malt in my estimation, because kicking it up to eight percent may have balanced this beer more. Worth the try, but I would not purchase this beer again.

adammills, Jan 24, 2007
2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

The first beer I’ve reviewed that I drank the night before. Contemporary notes, belated verdict.

STYLE: American IPA

ABV: 6.7%

LOOK: Caramel candy, almonds, khaki head.

NOSE: Pineapple, grapefruit, apple juice. Smells like Smoothie King. What’s expected but missing is that woody, piney nose. Bit of a letdown.

MOUTH: Unsweetened grapefruit and lemon dash. Missing the little details. Too hop forward, the bitterness squirts into the mouth and leaves an abrupt, rusty finish.

Beeradvocate Rating: 91

Hayward Abbey Rating: 78

viverlee, Jul 18, 2012
2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

Head was medium lasting and steady.
Color was light redish brown slightly cloudly.
Smell was a sour grainy grapefruit.
Inital taste had a a byte at first but soon faded away had a grainy tatse similar to the smell with a long lasting after taste.
The body was medium to lite with average carbination.

Bought a 6 pack at the cork and cap in fot wayne IN i thought it was kind of expensive. wouldnt try it again.

bowz32, Apr 08, 2011