Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros

2.76/5  rDev -32.2%

2.78/5  rDev -31.7%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A- Beautiful amber color, but unlike other review I hac very very little head that dissipated very quickly.

S- Very hoppy, piney, and a slight hint of citrus.

T- BOOM!!! Hit hard with the hops, and pines, never got the citrus.

M- Very very dry. Heavy carbonation, or maybe thats just the hops.

O- Im a little unsure. Its good for an IPA, but I think its a little too heavy on the hops for my own personal taste. Just my opinion though.

Tasted and Reviewed 1945-2015 10/31/11

2.79/5  rDev -31.4%

The smell is difficult for me....it smelled well....pukey. The Devil come strong with the hop and then leaves the palate dry and with a sour finish. The alcohol content with the hops makes it bitter, but not to bitter for this guy. It would be a tough session beer, but if on a dare I would go for it!

2.79/5  rDev -31.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. The beer poured out a very clear, dark
copper color with an off-white 1/4 inch head. The aroma was
dissapointing.I was expecting a strong hop scent. Instead this beer
has a very light, barely noticeable hop aroma. More floral than citrus.
Also a very, very light malt scent.

The taste was pretty much just hops. It was a bitter taste - which I
usually enjoy. But this one was fairly uninteresting. Like one strong
bitter flavor - not a mix of flavors.

The mouthfeel was light-to-medium with a bitter, dry finish. The
drinkability was good. The first glass was enjoyable. The bitterness
would probably limit me to two in one sitting.

2.8/5  rDev -31.2%

A: clear amber, no visible carbonation, a brief and nearly non-existent head and no lacing.

S: sweet floral hops, roasted malt, a little funk. It actually smells a little bit like dog food, not sure what that means...

T: a little malt sweetness up front then a kind of generic hop taste, a little stale even. Super strong, dry, bitter finish. Kind of makes me go "ackkk." I have a taste in the back of my throat the tastes like bile.

M: very low carbonation, medium but almost syrupy body. A finish that is dry as a desert.

D: this made me a little sick. It's got a bitter finish that I just can't shake.

2.81/5  rDev -31%

Had I reviewed this before joining BA, it would most assuredly end up 4+. Having had it last night, however, I'm relatively disappointed. In fairness, I may be teetering on "snob" instead of "advocate" because few things really wow me anymore.

The beer looks good, as it's a hazy bronze. Head coulda lasted a little longer (almost always, I know). Smell ain't even close to what I consider hoppy anymore. I bought a sixer yesterday at Lowes OIB, and as soon as I smelled my first one, I thought "of fuck, another malt bomb!" :-(

Unfortunately, my taste buds confirm my suspicions. I really used to enjoy this beer--long before I got into locals--so this experience is a real-life experience in disappointing realism and the apathy of nature. Only because I used to enjoy this beer do I not rate it lower.

It's malty--feels like it, tastes like it, etc. It's just a disappointment--where are the yummy, citrusy hops to which I've become accustomed? This malt bomb is no hop devil! To hell with this devil!!

2.82/5  rDev -30.7%

I honestly gave this beer a few chances before I reviewed it. Now I'm convinced. This beer is just not that good overall, and definitely not a good IPA. I have no idea why this beer is rated so high. Amber body with not much of a head. Nice sweet hoppy aroma with some citrus that even my gf liked. Taste is a different story though. Is this a marco pale ale Im drinking? Where the hell is the flavor? It tastes so stale and bland in my opinion. Watered down. Dead hop flavor. I need some hops here. They call this beer HopDevil? I call that false advertising.

2.83/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, dark-amber in color, clear, moderate carbonation

Smell: citrus hops and a bit of caramel

Taste: citrus and pine hops with a touch of caramel--once this one warms though all I can taste are IBUs

Mouthfeel: medium-high carbonation, medium bodied, sweet start with a bitter back and finish--once I ate food this became super bitter

Overall: Before food, this was fine..After food--just a big hoppy IBU monster. A must do for hopheads, but one I could not finish. I appreciate the veracity of the hops, but I wanted something just a bit less bitter.

2.87/5  rDev -29.5%

This beer pours a crisp clean looking amber with a yellow orangish head that fades but does remain on top of the beer. Aroma is very weak. Some citrus notes, bitter smelling, no floral or fruit in the nose at all, disappointing. It is a shocking beer to the palate, all hops. Very blunt up front, citrusy, it seems as if the hop bitterness is overwhelming the hop flavor. Spicy hot from the hops, and they manage to cover the malt almost completely. Not well balanced. Could have used some more base malt in my estimation, because kicking it up to eight percent may have balanced this beer more. Worth the try, but I would not purchase this beer again.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company