Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,446 | Hads: 6,931
4.34/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Serving type: 12 oz bottle into a shaker pint

Pours a clear honey amber color. Smell is of dry hops, slight smokiness, with some earth scents. The earthiness isn't my favorite. The taste reflects the smell much better. Great hops punch, followed by smoky and earthy flavors. The earthy flavors work much better in the taste than the smell. The body is medium light with ample carbonation that leads to a semi dry finish. Overall, this is a nice IPA with great hops and smoky attributes that work much better in the taste than the aroma. Would definitely have again paired with BBQ. (582 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: dark amber/orange with a very thin somewhat soapy head that doesn't persist

Smell: slight hints of molasses and toasted malt lead into piney earth notes

Taste: surprisingly yeasty and malty with a constant underlying pine hoppiness. After sipping there is a definite toasty note lingering on the tongue. Id be interested in seeing the grist bill for this brew. Not going to lie the taste threw me off a bit. It had the malty richness or a trippel but the bitterness and refreshing hints of a very hoppy IPA. Not unenjoyable, just unexpected.

Overall: An IPA to break the mold. Hoppy and complex. I can see why people love this brew but to be honest it wasn't my favorite. It has a certain heaviness in the flavor that I think appeals to many and almost feels like a "winter ipa" if you would. Still would drink again though (840 characters)

Amber colored with little head. Aroma leans more towards the earthy and grassy. Taste I'd floral, dank definitely an old school ipa. Not in your face with bitterness or grapefruit. I like it a more malt forward ipa. (215 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Label said "Enjoy by 9 August 2015" . Purchased and I "enjoyed" on 22 August 2015.
Not a bad IPA but I see no reason to buy it again. Give me Sculpin or 60 Minute IPA any day. (177 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

For some crazy reason, I always thought Hop Devil was similar to Sam Adams Boston Lager. Had the opportunity to pour them side by side today, and while there are similarities, Hop Devil is superior in every facet. Out of bottles today, but if you ever have a chance to try Hop Devil Nitro, don't pass it up. (310 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The Hop Devil ignited my thirst for better beer. I had this as a freshman in college, and haven't looked back.

Normally my reviews are longer, more detailed, and define each and every part of it. But all I'm going to say is this: It's hoppy, flavorful, and yet easygoing enough to please the masses. It's a phenomenal staple beer, and should stand the test of time as Victory's best, and as the perfect drink to transition a normal beer-drinker into a hop-head. It's not the greatest, but like I said, it's a drink to remember.

Enjoy.

Drink if you want a great, hoppy pale ale. (582 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: It pours brilliant amber under a 1” off-white foam collar that dissipates to a thick film. S: Citrusy grassy hops with some biscuit aromas rise form the glass. T: Rich hoppy palate with spices that suggest oregano season a biscuit malt backbone. F: Creamy medium body and carbonation. O: An outstanding American IPA. (321 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured into tulip with minimal white head. Looks thick and is a pale dark gold copper color. Not picking up much citrus here, this is more on the pine than citrus side. Taste is somewhat dank. It is good, but not really what I like in an IPA. Feel, this puppy taste thick. Has a real nice mouthfeel, but a little on the sweet side. Nice IPA, would get it again on tap (374 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The body is a very deep Amber, bordering on red, that is top with a lasting white head. The nose is sweet and malty for an IPA, but the hops are prevalent and nicely balances. A strong sweet malt flavor dominates from the start with a toasted sensation, but the key is that hop flavors are playing along the whole time. The complexity of this is wonderful. This beer has been around for a while and should not be overlooked in the way of the hop bombs of today. (465 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Got a single from LEGOLAND Publix to celebrate National IPA day. Good for an IPA...mild hoppiness and only a mild headache afterwards - I'll call that a success. Definitely not "devilish". Enjoyed while watching Peaky Blinders on Netflix. (241 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +2.2%

L -- Pours copper with a small off-white head that quickly fizzles out. No lacing on this pour.

S -- Immediate, bold grapefruit scent, along with a minute lemon zest ending, right after pouring. Develops into a more balanced hop aroma with resin joining the fray. There's a minor sweetness to it as well that adds complexity to the hops.

T -- Flavor very much follows the aroma: grapefruit, pine, with a strong bitterness to go along with it. The end notes are very much resiny, but the sweetness from the aroma melds with it to lessen the overall bitter-blow. The malts add a bready component, sorta like a tasty honey-nut flavored loaf, plus some minor caramel notes.

F -- Medium body, crisp, refreshing: very drinkable. I'll actually call it full-bodied for an IPA as the more I drink it, the "richer" it starts to feel in my life. It leaves a fairly dry palate and the bitterness leaves a light zing on the tongue.

O -- A very good beer. It's a great east coast IPA example, with plenty of hops and a solid malt backbone to go with it. I'd be happy to have this in the fridge all the time. (1,101 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appears medium amber with nice laced head on it. Smells malty and sweet with pine notes; malt aroma takes the hops. Observable alcohol taste but not too overpowering; hits you while swallowing the beer. Carmel and syrupy tasting, lingers in the mouth in a pleasing way. Would not describe as a "heavy hitting" IPA but has a alcohol presence. If you like malt-forward IPAs I would recommend. Wish I could have had this from a tap fresh! (435 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

First pour gives me a nice airy, fluffy head and a deep amber color. Great hop flavor without being too bitter. Nice warming sensation as the beer glides across my tongue and down my throat. A superb IPA. (207 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Decent IPA. Had in 355ml bottle. Pours nice amber colour with decent head. Nice pine citrus nose. Decent lacing. Good body. I like bitter IPAs but this one lacked balance for me. Will try again but think better out there. (221 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -8.1%

12 fl oz, Enjoy by 24/11/2015 10:48 P. Pale amber colour with frothy off-white head which reduced to a ring but left some nice lacing. Aroma of pine, grapefruit, caramel and sweet malt. Medium bitterness, light sweetness and a hint of saltiness. Noticeable alcohol. Light to medium body; thin, slightly sticky texture; average carbonation; noticeable malt backbone and a long, slightly dry, pine bitterness in the finish. Not as hop dominant as I was expecting but decent enough. 8. (482 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

Bottle, Hoppy piney citrusy aroma, grapefruit. Resiny. Slightly hazy reddish amber colour, small head. Taste is hop-centered. High bitterness. Not to bad. (154 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Hop Devil by Victory Brewing.

Never had one outta these guys. Let us hope it works out in my favor.

Look - Pours clear amber with a two finger slightly off white head that sticks around like a good father. The carbonation is on low with this one. No cloud formations to speak of. Yet at least. Leaves good lacing. 4.

Smell - Dominated by the malts and a half grapefruit mix. There really isn't a whole lot to say here. Half and half wins this race. 3.25.

Taste - The grapefruit pith is most prevelant really. The malts are certainly there but it is absolutely nothing to write home about. Basic IPA. 3.25.

Feel - Medium carbonation with a slighty watery body. Only thing saving this aspect is the creaminess. 3.

Overall - Blah. Generic as can be, nothing new here. Uninpressive, even for the style. I'd pass in the future. 3. (832 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

My first try of a Victory beer and I was very pleased. Apparently though, not as pleased as others, but I still enjoyed this offering.

I had it as a draft - great golden brown coloration with a weak head but strong lacing down the glass - quite impressive really. I noted some citrusy scents that mixed well with the strong hoppy aroma. The brew was well carbonated (more so than to my liking) and the aftertaste was a big surprise to me, since lately I've had some strong IPAs and haven't had the aftertaste I experienced with this beer. I didn't note the citrusy odor in the beer itself, which I expected, but IPA was definitely bold in flavor. Overall, it was a very good beer and would definitely partake from it again. (729 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into a random glass from my cabinet. A beautiful amber color, darker than most ipas. Very grassy and pine-y. Not the same citrus notes found in other ipas, an interesting difference. Aroma also very grassy. Extremely smooth for and ipa and suprisingly refreshing. Not quite as good as langunitas ipas though. (318 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

First of all, wow!

A deep Amber copper color. Creamy off white head that never fully dissipates. Beautiful lacing.

The smell was good, but it didn't prepare me for the taste. The smell was underwhelming. The taste was certainly not.

Very hoppy. Finishes very sharp. A little salty, even.

Feels almost creamy, but not heavy. My favorite aspect of the beer.

Overall, a beautiful beer. If you like IPAs, give it a try. If you don't like IPAs, save your money because it's truly an IPA. (488 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I have been wanting to try this beer for a long time. In Philadelphia on business and finally got my chance. Beautiful hazy orange color with thin white head. One of the best aromas of any IPA I've ever had. Bold, floral exotic taste with lots of things going in the finish. Absolutely amazing. In my top ten. (309 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Decent IPA from Victory. Floral, spice, dank bitterness that lingers on the palate. Prefer Dirtwolf anyday however. Not a bad offering though. Always available in my area which is nice. (185 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Maybe it's just me but I found this beer to be way too malty and boring. The thing was I could tell this was going to be the case from the aromas alone . . . and this bottle still has 4 months until it's best by date. The appearance is nice enough. It glows and even looks attractive and inviting in the glass. But the taste and flavors are far from being a good ipa. (367 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I tasted this a few years back and thought nothing of it. I decided to give it a second chance and was surprised by the how much better it tasted this time around. Hoppy, piny, citrus deliciousness. Reminded me of Great Divide's Titan IPA but a bit sweeter and not quite as hoppy. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and can see where the hype is coming from. I believe batches vary in quality but if you get a good one your in for a treat. (439 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Definitely a very "malty" IPA. But I dig it. Threw one back after a Sculpin so the malt came out a lot more I think. More hops would be good. Reminds me of a Dogfish Head beer. (176 characters)

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company