Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,459 | Hads: 7,010
4.3/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look: It pours a dark cooper with a full off white head. The head does produce a moderate amount of lacing.

Smell: It has aromas of apricot, citrus, and a caramel malt base.

Taste: It has flavors of apricot, citrus, caramel, and a bit of floral elements.

Feel: It is moderately light with high carbonation. Is has a moderately bitter finish.

Overall: It is a fairly easy drinking IPA with a finish that is not overly bitter like some of the others IPA's in this category.

3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance-wise, this poured a little haze. Medium amber in color, with a small head that dissipated to lace rather quickly. On the nose, it has a spicy citrus character. The hops were definitely immediately apparent. I found that the palate had a very pleasant hoppy character without being too bitter. However, the finish had a somewhat bready, malty character that made me think this bottle might have been a tad stale. The feel was very pleasant--a nice, crisp bite with no apparent flaws.

Overall this was a very pleasant beer and remains a staple of my everyday-drinking IPA lineup.

4.41/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was poured into a pint glass.
The appearance was a clear deep amber, with a one finger white foamy head that died off within less than a half a minute. Light messy lacing slides into the beer.
The smell had some bright citrus and piney notes over some light spice and then the caramel malt.
The taste was moderately the same with a sweetness coming from the malt and the hops. There's a soft bittersweet aftertaste leading into the finish.
The mouthfeel was about light bodied with a sly herbal quality lending a hand to a nice smoothness not normally associated with AIPA's, but hey, here comes the bitterness and it hits my tongue nicely.
Overall, this was a pretty nice AIPA. I heard before I was into beer that this was a top 10 beer of the world at one time, well this noob hopefully will get more of this to drink to all of the beer veterans who have gone before me and gave it the more than solid marks it deserves.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Serving: On tap into a pint glass
Served: August 2016

This review really fell through the cracks, but thankfully I had it at my friend's wedding so it was a memorable time.

Appearance: The bar I was at was pretty dark, so it's difficult to provide a good review of the color, but the beer appeared clear and deep amber, with a soft head that collapsed under the ABV after a reasonable time but not too fast. Looks like a solid IPA.

Smell: Bright citrus and pine hoppiness. Very little malt presence in the nose at all.

Taste: Pleasently 'juicy' but also maintains a pleasant bitterness on the very back end, drying out the palate and prompting another sip. Hop flavors are predominantly citrus, though I also tasted solid assertions of pine and a soft note of herbalness. Medium malt body carries the beer nicely, without getting cloying or thin.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-high body. Medium carbonation. Very drinkable without feeling thin or heavy. Really great for an IPA.

Overall: A fantastic IPA, no doubt, and one that I think should definitely be talked about more! Another great beer from Victory.

4.04/5  rDev -0.7%

Lovely, clear amber but not much head. Smell bready, pepper, mango and a bit of banana. When I first poured this IPA, it was more malty and on the sweet side but as it warmed it opened up and the complexity and balance came through -- a bit of pine, citrus, ever so slight bitter at the end. Mouth feel pretty perfect. Don't drink over-chilled. Will have a again.

3.96/5  rDev -2.7%

12oz bottle, Enjoy By 04 JAN 16; it's been a few years since I had this one. Definitely time to try it again
A - fluffy ivory head holds great retention atop a copper colored ale
S - grapefruit zest, caramel, bread crust, pine
T - nice grapefruit and pine for hop flavors, heavy malt backbone of caramel, bread, and toasted grain
M - smooth and creamy, fuller body, quite resinous with hop oils sticking to the palate, finishes moderately bitter with pine and grapefruit lingering
O - always a good IPA to come back to. It's been a few years for me, but it's just as good as I remember.

2.47/5  rDev -39.3%

Maybe I got a bad batch....date on bottle "enjoy by Dec 10 2015"
No hop profile at all! No nose, no taste, just a very low carbonated sicky-sweet malt aroma and taste. It's actually pretty nasty. Drain pour.

3.7/5  rDev -9.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into tulip
(Jan. 5, 2016 best by date)

L: copper ... very red-bronze look with lots of both and dark for a nice copper/burnt-orange look; clear; minimal head on soft par, white/off-white foam, a little sticking, keeps a soapy-bubbled collar; beautiful beer

S: lots of citrus/floral hops and lots of malt sweetness ... a bit caramely/mangoey but the floral hop note is pushing through it nicely

T: follows the nose closely but very tame on the bitter end ... in fact, even the floral hop note is more flavorful than bitter; lots of sweetness; earthy aftertaste to balance out the big sweet malt backbone; occasional citrus flavor peeks in, but the floral note predominates

F: a little slick, lots of carbonation ... the slickness belies a relatively lightweight liquid, almost watery even despite the strong flavors

O: really good, a bit too caramel-sweet for my personal tastes but still an excellent example of a less-better American IPA with the hop flavors coming off more floral than anything else

4.44/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours semi-opaque, medium amber color with a 1 finger, slightly off-white head.

Wonderful citrus aroma.

Awesome citrus taste with a bit of bitterness to bite, but certainly not overpowering.

Overall a great IPA.

12 ounce bottle in a pint glass.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Let me preface my remarks by saying that I am a students of brews rather than an expert, and that despite all the hype, IPA is not my favorite style. I liked this IPA more than most I've tried--definitely more than Stone IPA. The color is a pleasing amber. The smell is pepper and spice, and reminded me a bit of a Bloody Mary. No smell of fruit that I could detect. The beer was pleasingly bubbly on the tongue. The taste began as malty and mildly sweet, without much citrus taste that I could detect. The finish was mildly bitter and spicy. However, the aftertaste was very bitter, and lingered long on the tongue. If Stone is a "bitter bomb," and Sculpin and Bell are "citrus bombs," then this is somewhere in between: not perhaps rising to the level of a "spice bomb," but close. I have a feeling that I'll be coming back to this one.

EDIT: Sometimes the malt smell is more prominent, although whether this is from the batch or the glass, I don't know. Also, the bitterness does not last as long sometimes. In any case, I've decided that this is my favorite IPA, even though it does not conform to the current ideal of the "Hop bomb." It reminds me of an ESB in its maltiness, an IPA in its bitterness, and a lager in its drinkability.

4.21/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was the first IPA I ever had, way back in 2004, and, if I remember correctly, was the first real craft beer I tasted. Obviously I'm a bit biased, but this is an American IPA classic. Poured a bottle into my new nonic pint glass. Beautiful deep amber color with a smaller head that dissipates quickly and doesn't leave much lacing. Aroma is full or toasted malt and various earthy notes, which is exactly what you get from the taste as well; great, balanced earthy and malty hops. Really nice mouthfeel, perfect carbonation, very smooth.

What a throwback, I would enjoy this any time! Can't wait to have it on draft again.

Cask conditioned Hop Devil is the best beer that I have ever tasted. It is liquid crack. After I tasted it, I went out and bought a Angram Beer engine so that I could have it at home. The smell is a perfect aroma of fresh hops. Beyond the taste and smell , the color is phenomenal. I loved it so much that I had the Sikkens paint company (manufacturer of Mercedes paint) color match it with their spectrophotometer device to perfectly match a gallon of paint for my bike. The best.

3.94/5  rDev -3.2%

Finally had, poured from 12-oz. bottle, stamped enjoy by: "18 OCT 2015," into tulip. An early example of the American IPA, HopDevil still holds up well today.

4.34/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Serving type: 12 oz bottle into a shaker pint

Pours a clear honey amber color. Smell is of dry hops, slight smokiness, with some earth scents. The earthiness isn't my favorite. The taste reflects the smell much better. Great hops punch, followed by smoky and earthy flavors. The earthy flavors work much better in the taste than the smell. The body is medium light with ample carbonation that leads to a semi dry finish. Overall, this is a nice IPA with great hops and smoky attributes that work much better in the taste than the aroma. Would definitely have again paired with BBQ.

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: dark amber/orange with a very thin somewhat soapy head that doesn't persist

Smell: slight hints of molasses and toasted malt lead into piney earth notes

Taste: surprisingly yeasty and malty with a constant underlying pine hoppiness. After sipping there is a definite toasty note lingering on the tongue. Id be interested in seeing the grist bill for this brew. Not going to lie the taste threw me off a bit. It had the malty richness or a trippel but the bitterness and refreshing hints of a very hoppy IPA. Not unenjoyable, just unexpected.

Overall: An IPA to break the mold. Hoppy and complex. I can see why people love this brew but to be honest it wasn't my favorite. It has a certain heaviness in the flavor that I think appeals to many and almost feels like a "winter ipa" if you would. Still would drink again though

Amber colored with little head. Aroma leans more towards the earthy and grassy. Taste I'd floral, dank definitely an old school ipa. Not in your face with bitterness or grapefruit. I like it a more malt forward ipa.

3.94/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Label said "Enjoy by 9 August 2015" . Purchased and I "enjoyed" on 22 August 2015.
Not a bad IPA but I see no reason to buy it again. Give me Sculpin or 60 Minute IPA any day.

4.72/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

For some crazy reason, I always thought Hop Devil was similar to Sam Adams Boston Lager. Had the opportunity to pour them side by side today, and while there are similarities, Hop Devil is superior in every facet. Out of bottles today, but if you ever have a chance to try Hop Devil Nitro, don't pass it up.

4.21/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The Hop Devil ignited my thirst for better beer. I had this as a freshman in college, and haven't looked back.

Normally my reviews are longer, more detailed, and define each and every part of it. But all I'm going to say is this: It's hoppy, flavorful, and yet easygoing enough to please the masses. It's a phenomenal staple beer, and should stand the test of time as Victory's best, and as the perfect drink to transition a normal beer-drinker into a hop-head. It's not the greatest, but like I said, it's a drink to remember.

Drink if you want a great, hoppy pale ale.

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: It pours brilliant amber under a 1” off-white foam collar that dissipates to a thick film. S: Citrusy grassy hops with some biscuit aromas rise form the glass. T: Rich hoppy palate with spices that suggest oregano season a biscuit malt backbone. F: Creamy medium body and carbonation. O: An outstanding American IPA.

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured into tulip with minimal white head. Looks thick and is a pale dark gold copper color. Not picking up much citrus here, this is more on the pine than citrus side. Taste is somewhat dank. It is good, but not really what I like in an IPA. Feel, this puppy taste thick. Has a real nice mouthfeel, but a little on the sweet side. Nice IPA, would get it again on tap

4.14/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The body is a very deep Amber, bordering on red, that is top with a lasting white head. The nose is sweet and malty for an IPA, but the hops are prevalent and nicely balances. A strong sweet malt flavor dominates from the start with a toasted sensation, but the key is that hop flavors are playing along the whole time. The complexity of this is wonderful. This beer has been around for a while and should not be overlooked in the way of the hop bombs of today.

2.75/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Got a single from LEGOLAND Publix to celebrate National IPA day. Good for an IPA...mild hoppiness and only a mild headache afterwards - I'll call that a success. Definitely not "devilish". Enjoyed while watching Peaky Blinders on Netflix.

4.16/5  rDev +2.2%

L -- Pours copper with a small off-white head that quickly fizzles out. No lacing on this pour.

S -- Immediate, bold grapefruit scent, along with a minute lemon zest ending, right after pouring. Develops into a more balanced hop aroma with resin joining the fray. There's a minor sweetness to it as well that adds complexity to the hops.

T -- Flavor very much follows the aroma: grapefruit, pine, with a strong bitterness to go along with it. The end notes are very much resiny, but the sweetness from the aroma melds with it to lessen the overall bitter-blow. The malts add a bready component, sorta like a tasty honey-nut flavored loaf, plus some minor caramel notes.

F -- Medium body, crisp, refreshing: very drinkable. I'll actually call it full-bodied for an IPA as the more I drink it, the "richer" it starts to feel in my life. It leaves a fairly dry palate and the bitterness leaves a light zing on the tongue.

O -- A very good beer. It's a great east coast IPA example, with plenty of hops and a solid malt backbone to go with it. I'd be happy to have this in the fridge all the time.

3.87/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appears medium amber with nice laced head on it. Smells malty and sweet with pine notes; malt aroma takes the hops. Observable alcohol taste but not too overpowering; hits you while swallowing the beer. Carmel and syrupy tasting, lingers in the mouth in a pleasing way. Would not describe as a "heavy hitting" IPA but has a alcohol presence. If you like malt-forward IPAs I would recommend. Wish I could have had this from a tap fresh!

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company