Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,459 | Hads: 7,011
4.29/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

First pour gives me a nice airy, fluffy head and a deep amber color. Great hop flavor without being too bitter. Nice warming sensation as the beer glides across my tongue and down my throat. A superb IPA.

3.81/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Decent IPA. Had in 355ml bottle. Pours nice amber colour with decent head. Nice pine citrus nose. Decent lacing. Good body. I like bitter IPAs but this one lacked balance for me. Will try again but think better out there.

3.74/5  rDev -8.1%

12 fl oz, Enjoy by 24/11/2015 10:48 P. Pale amber colour with frothy off-white head which reduced to a ring but left some nice lacing. Aroma of pine, grapefruit, caramel and sweet malt. Medium bitterness, light sweetness and a hint of saltiness. Noticeable alcohol. Light to medium body; thin, slightly sticky texture; average carbonation; noticeable malt backbone and a long, slightly dry, pine bitterness in the finish. Not as hop dominant as I was expecting but decent enough. 8.

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

Bottle, Hoppy piney citrusy aroma, grapefruit. Resiny. Slightly hazy reddish amber colour, small head. Taste is hop-centered. High bitterness. Not to bad.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Hop Devil by Victory Brewing.

Never had one outta these guys. Let us hope it works out in my favor.

Look - Pours clear amber with a two finger slightly off white head that sticks around like a good father. The carbonation is on low with this one. No cloud formations to speak of. Yet at least. Leaves good lacing. 4.

Smell - Dominated by the malts and a half grapefruit mix. There really isn't a whole lot to say here. Half and half wins this race. 3.25.

Taste - The grapefruit pith is most prevelant really. The malts are certainly there but it is absolutely nothing to write home about. Basic IPA. 3.25.

Feel - Medium carbonation with a slighty watery body. Only thing saving this aspect is the creaminess. 3.

Overall - Blah. Generic as can be, nothing new here. Uninpressive, even for the style. I'd pass in the future. 3.

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

My first try of a Victory beer and I was very pleased. Apparently though, not as pleased as others, but I still enjoyed this offering.

I had it as a draft - great golden brown coloration with a weak head but strong lacing down the glass - quite impressive really. I noted some citrusy scents that mixed well with the strong hoppy aroma. The brew was well carbonated (more so than to my liking) and the aftertaste was a big surprise to me, since lately I've had some strong IPAs and haven't had the aftertaste I experienced with this beer. I didn't note the citrusy odor in the beer itself, which I expected, but IPA was definitely bold in flavor. Overall, it was a very good beer and would definitely partake from it again.

4.04/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into a random glass from my cabinet. A beautiful amber color, darker than most ipas. Very grassy and pine-y. Not the same citrus notes found in other ipas, an interesting difference. Aroma also very grassy. Extremely smooth for and ipa and suprisingly refreshing. Not quite as good as langunitas ipas though.

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

First of all, wow!

A deep Amber copper color. Creamy off white head that never fully dissipates. Beautiful lacing.

The smell was good, but it didn't prepare me for the taste. The smell was underwhelming. The taste was certainly not.

Very hoppy. Finishes very sharp. A little salty, even.

Feels almost creamy, but not heavy. My favorite aspect of the beer.

Overall, a beautiful beer. If you like IPAs, give it a try. If you don't like IPAs, save your money because it's truly an IPA.

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I have been wanting to try this beer for a long time. In Philadelphia on business and finally got my chance. Beautiful hazy orange color with thin white head. One of the best aromas of any IPA I've ever had. Bold, floral exotic taste with lots of things going in the finish. Absolutely amazing. In my top ten.

3.57/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Decent IPA from Victory. Floral, spice, dank bitterness that lingers on the palate. Prefer Dirtwolf anyday however. Not a bad offering though. Always available in my area which is nice.

3.57/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Maybe it's just me but I found this beer to be way too malty and boring. The thing was I could tell this was going to be the case from the aromas alone . . . and this bottle still has 4 months until it's best by date. The appearance is nice enough. It glows and even looks attractive and inviting in the glass. But the taste and flavors are far from being a good ipa.

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I tasted this a few years back and thought nothing of it. I decided to give it a second chance and was surprised by the how much better it tasted this time around. Hoppy, piny, citrus deliciousness. Reminded me of Great Divide's Titan IPA but a bit sweeter and not quite as hoppy. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and can see where the hype is coming from. I believe batches vary in quality but if you get a good one your in for a treat.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Definitely a very "malty" IPA. But I dig it. Threw one back after a Sculpin so the malt came out a lot more I think. More hops would be good. Reminds me of a Dogfish Head beer.

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served nitro on tap. Clear and orangish red with a creamy white head. Citrus hop aroma, very pleasant. Hops explode in the taste, good blend of bitterness and a hint of malt. Very smooth (with the nitro) and a great texture. Very enjoyable.

4.71/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

No matter how many amazing, hop-heavy beers I try, I will always remember that this is the one that put me on the IPA train. Love this beer, will always be one of my favorites.

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A very malt forward IPA with a hazey copper color and fragrant, almost perfumey hop smell. Little head retention. Overall, good beer. Definitely not outstanding but good.

4.66/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As a hop head it crazy that I have not tried this brew! What a nice surprise. Poured out of a bottle a nice amberish color with little head. Smell was floral with apricot, slight banana, and pine. Taste was a blast of hops! It dissipates giving way to a citrus and apricot hint and finishing with just a hint of pine. The hoppy taste lingers for a bit after the finish. A must try for hop heads!

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I was disappointed with this beer but it may not have been very fresh. It's not very fragrant - smell is grainy and slightly sweet. Taste is solid but not overly impressive. Definitely malt forward. Really nice dark amber color. yb

4.14/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a copper color, decent head and good lace retention.
The hops hit the nose right away. This is followed by a nice biscuity malt aroma with a hint of alcohol.
Incredibly hoppy taste, bitter, piny and resiny. The malt presence is slightly felt in the background. Dry, hoppy, bitter and resin like finish that leaves a lingering aftertaste. Full mouthfeel. Creamy and smooth.

L- Orange

S- apricot, peach, citrus

T- Apricot and peach, some spicy flavor, and a piney finish.

F- good body and carbonation.

O- really good!

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I don't like hops, but this was okay. Strong hop taste, obviously, but drinkable for me. Not overly bitter, and somewhat balanced. Some hints of malts. Nice looking beer with a nice one finger head. Leaves plenty of lacing. Decent mouthfeel; maybe a bit thin.

3.82/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

330ml bottle, poured into tester glass.

A: Bronze, clear, medium disappearing had, left some lacing.

S: Pine, orange, malts, zest.

T: Slightly sour apples, hint of charcoal, fruity but initially it didn’t have vast amounts of bitterness. Finished with a hit of wheat and eventually there was some bitterness which lingered, the malt to IBU balance was slightly on favour of the malt.

M: Light to medium body, not too much carbonation.

O: Good but not memorable, would get buried under the all the good east coast IPAs.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very good IPA. I have been wanting to try this one and I'm glad I got the chance. Not a citrus flavor. Nice and bitter but well balanced. Very good selection.

3.5/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Dogfish Head IPA glass.

A - 4.25 - Pours a nice caramel orange color. Forms about a finger of lightly yellowed white head. Medium head potential and retention. Spotty lacing.
S - 3.5 - Nothing too wild here. VERY light hop aroma, a touch of spice and a strong herbal note.
T - 3.25 - A little on the weak side for me. Very lightly sweet arrival which quickly fades into a quite weak bitter hop ending.
F - 4 - Good smooth and decently oily mouthfeel.
O - 3.5 - This is what I call a food pairing beer and a shower beer. This would make a fine transitional brew for beginners, but experienced IPA drinkers may find this a bit weak due to its lack of bitterness and other flavors. A decent little session IPA, but nothing to write home about.

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Opaque deep auburn draft pour with off white head. Hops and a whisper of citrus. Bitter (in a good way) hops up front. Medium lite mouthfeel-nice hoppy tongue coating. A definite go to.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company