Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,458 | Hads: 7,007
4.48/5  rDev +10.1%

This beer is a different animal when you get it cask, and I guess that holds true for a lot of beers, but I have never tried a cask beer that I had a lot experience with from the bottle.

The hops come through in a much more subtle way. They are not as overpowering as with a bottle. (I still love bottled/tap hop devil though) And its room temperature serving makes its citrusy flavors come through a lot more.

This is a very sophisticated ale, after drinking the cask, it makes the bottled stuff taste better too because I am way more aware of all of the flavors interacting instead of just hop flavor.

2.16/5  rDev -46.9%

A - Poured a dark amber/copper into a clean pint glass. Appears to be lightly carbonated w/o much head.

S - Smells like a bum farted onto a pine cone... Seriously... The bottle reads "Enjoy by Sept 19 2010"

T - Cheesy hop flavor, combined with a saltwater taffy malt character, and a lingering resinous bitterness.

M - Medium body, flaccid carbonation

D - I've heard good things but please stop shipping your beer to California if it's going to arrive ruined.

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%

A: Pours a hazy amber color with a 1.5 finger tan colored head. Head retention seemed weak which was surprising with only a small bit of lacing down the glass

S: Smells malty and sweet with a bit of hops at the end. I was expecting more hops upfront.

T: Taste is much like it smells. Sweet malt and a bit of honey with some piney hops. I perfer a more citrus character to IPAs, but this is a nice balance.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation and a smooth finish.

D: Good drinkability but I still prefer a more citrus hop dominated IPA.

3.79/5  rDev -6.9%

A-Nice even foam, pours perfectly from a bottle. Golden cloudy color. The lacing had very small, very even bubbles, visually awesome.

S-Great fresh hops smell, similar to fresh cut grass and a pine cone hehe.

T- Has great body to the beer so the taste comes across that much more. Piny hop flavor with a malty citrus cut; possibly made with honey?

M- Very Good body, medium carbonation. Smooth yet bitter finish.

D- Okay drinkability, I'm not too big a fan of pine + bitter combo. Overall a good IPA, but not victory's best

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a cloudy copper with a thin, white head.

Aroma is malty. Citrusy. I'm not getting a lot hops.

Taste is a pleasant malty-ness. Grapefruit and orange peel in the middle. A little peach. Finishes with a nice hop kick. Notes of citrus.

Slightly creamy. Drinkabilitiy can be a little better. (Due to the creaminess and the ABV being in the "middle" range.)

Overall, this brew is worthy of a try but I wouldn't go above and beyond to acquire it. With a name like "Hop Devil," I expected something with more hops. Hop Devil is more of a malty IPA. The only other IPA (Well, its a double IPA) I had from Victory was the "Hop Wallop" and that brew was great, IMO. I was kind of holding this to that first impression I had of Victory.

3.76/5  rDev -7.6%

First time, great color a clear copper with a least two fingers of head that did not disappear quickly, good lacing. Smell was a bit weaker than I like but the taste makes up for it. Mouthfeel was especially nice and finished soft and smooth. Overall I enjoyed this beer!

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Color is a rich amber with a very nice head. The flavor is hoppy, but this really makes for a well-balanced brew by a solid malt foundation. Carbonation is restrained, letting the hops speak for themselves, and contributing to a fine smoothness for such an ale with an assertive hoppy edge. This is a really good IPA.

4.72/5  rDev +16%

Ahh Hopdevil, how I love thee.

I'm a fan of the IPA style of beer, and I believe that Hopdevil is exemplary of the style. Big on malt and hops, this beer satisfies.

The pour reveals a pretty amber color, fairly clear with only a hint of haze (I can read this screen, albeit backwards, through my pint glass). The aroma is strongly hoppy, with a bit of malt behind it. A half-inch or so of head forms, then diminishes to a lacy covering. A good bit of lacing occurs on the side of the glass as the beer inevitably dwindles within.

The first taste is hoppy in flavor, and surprisingly well balanced between the bitterness and malty sweetness. One normally expects an IPA to be hoppy, and this one is, but not to the detriment of the malt base. The mouthfeel is substantial but not cloying, with hop oils playing a leading role. The sweetness of the malt and bitterness from the hops leave a very balanced sensation, from beginning to end. Carbonation is spot on, and supports the mouthfeel perfectly.

Overall, this beer is extremely satisfying, and well worth the $8ish per sixpack at which i can acuire it locally. It has become a staple in my beer fridge. Definitely one of my favorite, and most drinakable, commercial IPAs. (The other is Tupper's Hop Pocket).

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

What can I say about this beer that hasn't already been said? Damn little. This beer is an intense assault of hoppy goodness that just won't quit. The taste starts starts quietly and then explodes across the sides of the tongue with a tidal wave of bitterness. The aftertaste keeps going and going. Great mouthfeel very full.

What a great beer!

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

I was so excited to finally see this beer on shelves near me. I have been keeping an eye out for it for quite a while and just randomly happened to notice it today. I can't get enough hops so a name like 'hopdevil' caught my attention the first time I heard about it. Upon cracking the bottle, I could immediatly smell what else, but hops. Hops and some citrus. It looked great in my glass; it poured a nice hazy amber color which is exactly how I like an IPA to look. First taste was great, a little malty taste for the first instant but then HOPS. A truly awesome beer, the type of IPA I have been looking for. I think I might have a few more after this one as I find it to be highly drinkable (although I can see how lesser fans of hops might not) but I think I'll save a few because they were pretty expensive at $8.69.
A great beer. If you like hops and well balanced but complex IPA's, pick this up!

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Copper-Reddish in color that was completly hazy. Aout half a finger head with a near full pour into my Arcadia tulip glass. Head stayed around for a little bit but dissapated quickly leaving nice lacing about halfway through.

S - Smelled of Centennial/Cascade hops, citrus, and caramel malt.

T - Bitter, with a nice citrus/acidic flavor. Malt was present, gave the beer a good body that complimented the hops well. The aftertaste was of citrus, like a tangerine, with some floral hints and of course hops.

M - Nice crisp full body. The beer felt somewhat heavy for an IPA but was a nice change of pace, I think the haze of the beer made it feel more like a heff in my mouth but still had the refreshing attributes I look for in an IPA.

D - I could deffinetly drink this again. I would like to try it on tap sometime to compare the difference between my bottle and draft (or cask).

My bottle had a "drink by" date of Oct 20 2007. No information as to the bottling date. A tulip did not seem to be the proper glass for this beer, but its all I had.

4.11/5  rDev +1%

Poured in tulip glass. Deep copper color, pretty clear. Nice light brown head approx 1". Excellent taste. Smells spicy. Head leaves nice thick rings on glass. Very drinkable. Very hoppy smell. Beautiful color and very clear. Good example of american IPA.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

a- rich amber, not too much head except for thin lacing at top. the look of this beer is just begging for it to be consumed.
s- allergies are keeping me from indulging my nose into this.
t- big hops at the beginning that mellow nicely into a great taste. the hops at the front are very heavy but don't dominate the taste.
m- medium feel, not too heavy.
o- this beer is awesome. only the second american ipa i've had, but it definitely beats Inversion from Deschutes. enjoyed drinking this beer and definitely will try this again.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

12 oz. bottle from the B-Side Liquor Lounge on Coventry, Cleveland Heights, Ohio.

Appearance: Pours an amber orange with a thick ivory head.

Smell: Pure hops with a good touch of malt in the nose.

Taste: The hops lend a zesty citrus taste (oranges, grapefruits).

Mouthfeel: Medium body in the mouth, hops all the way.

Drinkability: I found this to be a pretty good IPA, I liked the malt.

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

A: dark coppery red colour and clear with a thin but luscious off-white head that fades quickly but maintains some decent lacing

S: hugely aromatic, hops and some yeasty notes, maybe some licorice

T: surpisingly sweet up front, light to medium in body, very crisp. the hops hit on the finish leaving a dry bitterness in the back of the mouth that encourages the next quenching sip.

D: very good, the balance of the crisp carbonation and the dry finish is nothing less than outstanding.

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

a: pours hazy copper/orange with a sticky, long-lasting, lacing one-finger head.

s: spicy hops, citrus, pine, hints of sweet malt buried under the hops.

t: hops up front, then the sweet malt with citrus notes, then swinging back to hops on the finish. great play between the malt and hops.

m: lighter body, medium carbonation, with that wonderful hoppy coating after you swallow.

d: great balance of malt/hops, still strong on hops but malty enough to drink multiples of. one of my favorite IPAs, this is one i should always have on hand.

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

with the high rating this beer had, i was expecting to be blown away, but I am slightly indifferent

very carbonated, huge head, heavy lacing... clear amber color on the darkish side

pretty strong smell, fruity with some malt hints and a tad of alcohol

the hops are definitely there, but they seem to be lacking strength and bitterness and are almost overpowered by the malts... i dont get that bitter hop taste left in my mouth that i like from an ipa

with that said, i suppose this is a well drinkable beer

overall this beer isnt bad at all, great appearance and the taste isnt bad by any means, it just isnt my style of ipa... i'd almost consider it more of a hoppy amber/pale ale

I love Victory's HopDevil IPA. By far my favorite IPA. Great to see such great beers coming from my Hometown!!!

A: Amber

S: Hoppy and Citrus

T: Well balanced hops with a grapefruit finish

M: Light and bubbly

D: This is my absolute favorite American IPA and raises the bar to the California Pale Ale's

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- This beer pours out a nice clear/dark reddish copper color with a 2 finger foamy tan head that recedes very slowly, eventually leaving a patch in the middle and a ring of foam that clings to the sides of the glass.

S- A very strong grapefruit smell, with orange zest and dark caramel malt. Very nicely balanced.

T- Just like the nose, alot of grapefruit (maybe a tad too much for my taste), orange zest from the hops, and a dark caramel taste from the malts. Bitter at first taste, then the malt evens the taste, and then again, a pretty bitter yet delicious finish and aftertaste

M- Medium body, and a pretty good amount of sharp carbonation. Dry, bitter, citrus aftertaste that stays around for a good while, especially in the back of your mouth.

D- Fresh and well balanced. This is a bitter beer with malt sweetness to balance it out. I have had several of these in the past that have had less of a grapefruit taste, so that may have just been this bottle. Overall a great IPA for those who like hoppy bitter IPA's with a good but not overpowering malt background.

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

Good go on west-coast style ultra-hopped IPA and is very drinkable...but it doesn't quite hit the mark for me. I think it's the strong malt that I find a bit distracting, but others of course may find this characteristic appealing. Would I drink it every day? Pronably if it was the only hop-tastic beer I could get my hands on, but alas there's lots of options, even here in NoVA. Thanks for the effort Victory!

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Medium amber appearance with a small head that disappears quickly. Smells somewhat sweet with a pine and citrus backdrop.

Tastes sweet at first with a somewhat bitter mouthfeel and with a tart aftertaste.

The balanced taste with a smooth initial taste and pleasant aftertaste along with a not-so heavy body makes me love drinking this beer. One of my favorite hoppy brews for drinkability.

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

poured from bottle into pint
app-nice orange color, more than their pale ale, thin white head, goes away quickly
smell- smells wonderful, right on target for an ipa, reminds me of some dipas
taste- not disappointed has what we are looking for nice hop punch outpaces the malt, but not out of balance, again reminds me of some doubles, let's call it a 1.5 ipa
mouthfeel-has some of a oily like feel that i enjoy from an ipa, i like it
overall- i am a fan, will be having this one again, not a life-changing beer, but can't pick out anything wrong with it

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: dark amber/orange with a very thin somewhat soapy head that doesn't persist

Smell: slight hints of molasses and toasted malt lead into piney earth notes

Taste: surprisingly yeasty and malty with a constant underlying pine hoppiness. After sipping there is a definite toasty note lingering on the tongue. Id be interested in seeing the grist bill for this brew. Not going to lie the taste threw me off a bit. It had the malty richness or a trippel but the bitterness and refreshing hints of a very hoppy IPA. Not unenjoyable, just unexpected.

Overall: An IPA to break the mold. Hoppy and complex. I can see why people love this brew but to be honest it wasn't my favorite. It has a certain heaviness in the flavor that I think appeals to many and almost feels like a "winter ipa" if you would. Still would drink again though

3.79/5  rDev -6.9%

its got that carmel color with a nice one finger hear that leaves you very soon. leaves some slight lacing, and has that fruity grapefruit smell. at first its a bit malty, and then transitions into citrus. I feel its a little thick for an ipa, little syrupy, however goes very well with a ribeye steak. feels ok in your mouth, and if you wait for that tingly sensation its way good. Good example of a hoppy ale, and one of Victories staple points. I hear Victories hop wallup is good stuff, but if you can't find it, this is good stuff.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

A-Had a goblet of this on tap at the Muddy Pig, in St. Paul, Minnesota. Served with a nice two inch creamy head and a bronze color.

S-Nice pine and citrus scent, hops really coming through, living up to its name.

T-Very refreshing ale, citrus, grapefruit maybe, fairly sweet.

MF- A lot of carbonation up front and nice dry finish.

D- I am really liking these hopped up beers, even with the higher abv of HopDevil, I could sit and drink a few of these in a row.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company