Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,429 | Hads: 6,870
4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

I was so excited to finally see this beer on shelves near me. I have been keeping an eye out for it for quite a while and just randomly happened to notice it today. I can't get enough hops so a name like 'hopdevil' caught my attention the first time I heard about it. Upon cracking the bottle, I could immediatly smell what else, but hops. Hops and some citrus. It looked great in my glass; it poured a nice hazy amber color which is exactly how I like an IPA to look. First taste was great, a little malty taste for the first instant but then HOPS. A truly awesome beer, the type of IPA I have been looking for. I think I might have a few more after this one as I find it to be highly drinkable (although I can see how lesser fans of hops might not) but I think I'll save a few because they were pretty expensive at $8.69.
A great beer. If you like hops and well balanced but complex IPA's, pick this up! (906 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

A-Had a goblet of this on tap at the Muddy Pig, in St. Paul, Minnesota. Served with a nice two inch creamy head and a bronze color.

S-Nice pine and citrus scent, hops really coming through, living up to its name.

T-Very refreshing ale, citrus, grapefruit maybe, fairly sweet.

MF- A lot of carbonation up front and nice dry finish.

D- I am really liking these hopped up beers, even with the higher abv of HopDevil, I could sit and drink a few of these in a row. (464 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Deep amber orange body with a hint of brown that produces an extremely light brown tan bubbly head the size of 1.5 fingers. Very attractive thick earthy lacing as the head mellows.

Dude, this ale smells totally awesome. Spicy pine-like hops that entices me to hoover one huge gulp. First, the caramel malt comes to play. The spicy pine hops are introduced mid-way and just overtake any malt presence. As the brew rises in temp, the hop spice accentuates.

This beer is pretty 'sharp' in terms of mouthfeel. That hop bite is very assertive when it comes down to crispiness. This brew is just friggin' tasty. It surely hits the spot, very refreshing. (651 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Served in a tulip from a bomber.

A: Nice amber color. I got about a finger of head with minimal lacing. Light foam with gentle carbination.

S: The nose is of honey and very faint flowers. Very light spice. Different from most IPA's I've had.

T: Quite smooth for an IPA. There is a hoppy bite but it is well balanced with some malt sweetness.

M: Light carbonation with a light to medium body. It has a dry finish.

D: I really like this. I find that I could really have more than one. It has a great balance of taste versus ABV.

Overall: Great beer! I'm a huge IPA fan but have never had this one. I will be adding this to my permanent rotation. Check it out! (664 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a beautiful amber with a just off-white head, leaves great lacing on the way down.

Smell is very nice, pretty hoppy and citrusy, exactly what you'd expect for an IPA, with some piney notes.

Hits the mouth fantastic, really nice flavor, especially in conjunction with smell. Lip smacking. Aftertaste was too bitter for my tastes though, seemed like a bit of overklll.

Another fine Victory beer, I would definitely buy again even if the aftertaste pulled down the overall experience. Would definitely try it on tap if I could find it in my neck of the woods. (566 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -12.3%

Picked up at Kroger's on South Voss in Houston, TX.

A: Poured this into a pint glass. Copper color with a small head which quickly dissipates, leaving ample lacing.

S: Hops, hops, and more hops, blended with malts, citrus, and spice. A hint of pine.

T: Hops and Malt, bitter aftertaste. Though it lacks the balance and fruit nuances that usually shows in most IPAs I've had.

M: Velvety and smooth, and dry. Little carbonation.

D: Bitter, but very drinkable. (462 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

This beer was a little to heavy for my personbal taste. It was also a bit too bitter because of the heavy level of hops in it. It finished somewhat clean but definately(to me) tasted better colder. I will be very honest, I only ordered it because it had an awesome looking bottle. I would just rather drink a differnt IPA stlye beer, so I consider thios one just "average" (372 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured from bottle into 22 ounce glass.. Slight head that remained in this light copper coloured beer.. Has hoppy taste that is not too bad overall.. Lace left on glass after finishing, leaves slight after taste... Will buy again next year in a six pack.. (255 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

Bottle into pint glass. Great looking beer!

A - Almost a 1" head on this caramelish dark looking IPA
S - This asks you to take a drink... really nice hoppy smell to this one.
T & M - Hops coat the mouth and last for a perfect amount of pleasure before taking the next sip.
D - Will pick it up again if I see it.

Nice to know Satan is growing good hops and has a knack for brewing. (382 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Service Type: Bottle into a pint.

Appearance: A relatively clear amber/dark orange color with a one and a half finger head that lasted almost the entire beer; it left significant lacing behind.

Smell: A wonderful citrus hops that was never off-putting and always appetizing.

Taste: I was surprised to first taste an initial sweet malt up front before the hops began to assert themselves in a way traditionally associated with IPAs. The malty notes remained throughout the drink but did not overshadow the star of the beer, the hops. In general there was a nice balance between the sweet malt and the bitter hops, with the hop flavors remaining dominant throughout.

Mouthfeel: I found this to be medium to full bodied without being overwhelming. There was also moderate carbonation

Drinkability: This is a great example of a balanced IPA; a strong but not overwhelming bitter flavor with nice malty undertones to make it more drinkable than many other IPAs. My favorite IPA to date.

Summary: Will definitely drink again. (1,032 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a very good IPA that I love drinking with any sort of food. Typically I enjoy this beer when I got out or am just relaxing around the house as well. It's obviously very hoppy, being an IPA, but it is also very well balanced and easy to drink. (250 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

On Tap @ Anam Cara

Medium head, white that was mostly lasting. Slight hop aroma but I was not able to detect much more. Flavor had some surprises, with a slight aprocot and light grapefruit flavor. Sweet to start with a moderate hop flavor finish that was not too strong. Light to medium bodied ale with lively carbonation. Nice representation of the style not too over the top with hop flavor and some really nice tastes on the palate. (439 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Served a little warmer than I intended, but here goes.

This poured with a nice thick head, very firm, and tiny bubbles. Head was somewhere between off-white and tan. The beer itself is a nice copper color, more reddish toward the center, and a nice amber around the edges. The lace persists throughout the drink, but loses strength toward the end. It is primarily a very fine bubble lace, with some deposits to the sides. The aroma is all hops as far as I can tell, with no hint of malts coming through. It is slightly spicy, but it took me awhile to notice that. As the beer warms, I am beginning to get a faint hint of some malts, but nothing distinct.

The first taste is primarily the sweeter hops, although even up front a but of the bittering comes through. Not at all unpleasant though. The middle has some malt flavoring, mainly caramel, with maybe a slight grassy hint to the brew as well. The finish, as one might expect, is thoroughly dominated by the bitter hops, and the flavor lingers like a girl-friend that won't go away... but in a good way. Overall, this is very well balanced, albeit toward the hops. But then, you knew that was coming. The presence of some malt renders this a very, very drinkable beer.

Can't complain to much about drikability or mouthfeel. Carbonation is moderate, and helps to keep from feeling as though the mouth has been coated in hop oil. The higher alcohol means that this isn't to be fooled with, but it can be consumed enjoyably in quantity. (1,497 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

I am fortunate I live about 3 miles from Victory so I have had this beer served three different ways - cask, tap and bottle. The cask is my favorite style though this beer is great which every way it is served. Nice brown color to it with that hop smell that makes you know you are about to have a great IPA. Flavor is solid hops from the beginning to the end. Despite high ABV you don't know it till you get up after drinking a couple of them. (444 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Stone AB pint glass.

A- Orange meets Amber color with a thick 1 inch head. Sufficient lacing to stick to the sides as it dissipates.

S- Hops and spice on the nose up front. Some caramel malt is present as well.

T- Nice. The hop presence is totally put in check by the malty middle. Bittersweet dry finish. After a few minutes, and a few sips, the malt becomes more pronounced. Balanced and subdued flavor profile, but masterfully achieved.

M- Medium bodied.

D- One of the more drinkable IPA's I've had in a while. As a southern california resident, I enjoyed the restrained hop profile of this nice IPA as a nice change of pace from the extreme (but tasty) DIPA's that seem to be everywhere out here. Certainly more sessionable. (769 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a dark copper with nice head and lacing. Smells of biscuit, piney, and earthy. Faint smell of yeast and malt. . A bitter bomb hits your taste buds with a slight resin and spicy finish. Despite the finish its clean and fresh. Very silky feel but not too heavy. A fantastic beer from a fantastic brewery. (308 characters)

Drank from 12oz bottle.
Smell- I couldn't smell to much to be honest. I smelled more malt than in a normal ipa
Taste-Sweet with a fruity citrus like notes. Hits with a bitter hop then fades out slowly .

Disclamer -As a very amatuer beer taster My rating are not that spot on. I hope to provide a basic review that summarizes the core taste of the beer. (354 characters)

This is absolutley one of my unabashed favorites. As a unredemptive hophead, it doesn't get much better (bitter?) than this. A fantastic expression of the brewer's art; an apoplectic melding of malt sweetnes with lupulus bitternes and aroma. The cask conditioned presentation steps this one up into the valhalla of brewing. If you've only had the draught version of this wonderful brew, the cask is just that more so. The lower conditioning level lets the melange of flavors burst forth on the palate, unencumbered by the bubbliness of carbonation.

As you can probably tell, I am a huge fan. This merits the 5 x 5 as indicated above. I really don't think that there is much room for improvement on this one. (710 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured in an Imperial pint. Very attractive, dark (for an IPA), redish hue, decent off-white head that faded partway through.
The nose lacked a great deal of character, a little floral, but not too much.
The taste was quite nice, initial sweetness that faded into a mild bitter finish.
Overall drinkability was fairly high, the beer needed to warm just a tad before it really got going. (389 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Poured a very hazy dark bronze with a creamy offwhite head.

S: Citrus and floral hops with a touch of sweetness.

T: Hoppy but not overpowering, with just enough sweetness to balance things out.

M: Rich, with just the bitter kick you would expect from an IPA. Suprisingly smooth.

D: Going down quick, and the bitterness is not overwhelming. (387 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +17.2%

A- An amber color with a nice white head. Lacing all the way down the glass.

S- I can smell grassy floral hops all the way with a hint of crystal malts.

T- Sweet buscuity malts quickly give way for the hops to power on through. Grassy hops go hand and hand with the bitter twang of this IPA. Tons of bitter that provide a clean crisp dry finish.

M- Medium amount of carbonation and body. Really smooth and satisfying.

D- This is a beer I could drink all night long being alittle bit of a hophead.

Notes: This is by far one of, if not my overall favorite IPA out there. (573 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

I had heard alot about this beer but hadn't tried it until today. I had always shied away because of the $10 price tag on a six-pack.

So when my boss took us out to lunch today, I jumped at the chance to try it on his dime. I'm glad I did! Smooth, tasty and definitely lives up to its name when it comes to hops! (313 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

12 Oz. bottle, Pint glass.

A: Copper golden amber. Enticing finger and a half lacing that dies slowly.

S: Hoppy and malty. Great balance. Hints of ginger.

T: Very very tasty. The sweet malts up front lead to a crunchy hop bite. Finishes strong too, slightly sweet. Bitter fruit malty hop goodness.

M: Smooth and well carbonated. Medium-thick mouthfeel.

D: Pretty high. It's strong, not entirely sessionable but hop heads could pull it off.

Man this is a really good beer. One of my favs. These hop oils linger, and they're well balanced in the mouth. This Victory company really knows what they're doing... (615 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

This is a GREAT IPA. Well balanced but enough bitterness to be true to style. Pine and Spice on the nose with a little bit of caramely maltiness so you know its going to be balanced.

Taste is extremely balanced and even oddly has some toasted caramel notes to it that were really nice.

It got better as it warmed too which to me is a sign of a great beer.

I went back for a six pack of this (393 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -6.9%

The beer pours a lovely caramel color with a full hop aroma and is an excellent example of an American IPA. Good clean malts in the background. The alcohol is not noticeable. The American hops are delicious. Cascade or Cluster hops? The head was not impressive. Overall, a pleasant brew and a joy for hop lovers. (312 characters)

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company