Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,447 | Hads: 6,933
4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

What can I say about this beer that hasn't already been said? Damn little. This beer is an intense assault of hoppy goodness that just won't quit. The taste starts starts quietly and then explodes across the sides of the tongue with a tidal wave of bitterness. The aftertaste keeps going and going. Great mouthfeel very full.

What a great beer! (348 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Copper-Reddish in color that was completly hazy. Aout half a finger head with a near full pour into my Arcadia tulip glass. Head stayed around for a little bit but dissapated quickly leaving nice lacing about halfway through.

S - Smelled of Centennial/Cascade hops, citrus, and caramel malt.

T - Bitter, with a nice citrus/acidic flavor. Malt was present, gave the beer a good body that complimented the hops well. The aftertaste was of citrus, like a tangerine, with some floral hints and of course hops.

M - Nice crisp full body. The beer felt somewhat heavy for an IPA but was a nice change of pace, I think the haze of the beer made it feel more like a heff in my mouth but still had the refreshing attributes I look for in an IPA.

D - I could deffinetly drink this again. I would like to try it on tap sometime to compare the difference between my bottle and draft (or cask).

My bottle had a "drink by" date of Oct 20 2007. No information as to the bottling date. A tulip did not seem to be the proper glass for this beer, but its all I had. (1,066 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +1%

Poured in tulip glass. Deep copper color, pretty clear. Nice light brown head approx 1". Excellent taste. Smells spicy. Head leaves nice thick rings on glass. Very drinkable. Very hoppy smell. Beautiful color and very clear. Good example of american IPA. (254 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

a- rich amber, not too much head except for thin lacing at top. the look of this beer is just begging for it to be consumed.
s- allergies are keeping me from indulging my nose into this.
t- big hops at the beginning that mellow nicely into a great taste. the hops at the front are very heavy but don't dominate the taste.
m- medium feel, not too heavy.
o- this beer is awesome. only the second american ipa i've had, but it definitely beats Inversion from Deschutes. enjoyed drinking this beer and definitely will try this again. (530 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +2%

12 oz. bottle from the B-Side Liquor Lounge on Coventry, Cleveland Heights, Ohio.

Appearance: Pours an amber orange with a thick ivory head.

Smell: Pure hops with a good touch of malt in the nose.

Taste: The hops lend a zesty citrus taste (oranges, grapefruits).

Mouthfeel: Medium body in the mouth, hops all the way.

Drinkability: I found this to be a pretty good IPA, I liked the malt. (402 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

A: dark coppery red colour and clear with a thin but luscious off-white head that fades quickly but maintains some decent lacing

S: hugely aromatic, hops and some yeasty notes, maybe some licorice

T: surpisingly sweet up front, light to medium in body, very crisp. the hops hit on the finish leaving a dry bitterness in the back of the mouth that encourages the next quenching sip.

D: very good, the balance of the crisp carbonation and the dry finish is nothing less than outstanding. (489 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

a: pours hazy copper/orange with a sticky, long-lasting, lacing one-finger head.

s: spicy hops, citrus, pine, hints of sweet malt buried under the hops.

t: hops up front, then the sweet malt with citrus notes, then swinging back to hops on the finish. great play between the malt and hops.

m: lighter body, medium carbonation, with that wonderful hoppy coating after you swallow.

d: great balance of malt/hops, still strong on hops but malty enough to drink multiples of. one of my favorite IPAs, this is one i should always have on hand. (542 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

with the high rating this beer had, i was expecting to be blown away, but I am slightly indifferent

very carbonated, huge head, heavy lacing... clear amber color on the darkish side

pretty strong smell, fruity with some malt hints and a tad of alcohol

the hops are definitely there, but they seem to be lacking strength and bitterness and are almost overpowered by the malts... i dont get that bitter hop taste left in my mouth that i like from an ipa

with that said, i suppose this is a well drinkable beer

overall this beer isnt bad at all, great appearance and the taste isnt bad by any means, it just isnt my style of ipa... i'd almost consider it more of a hoppy amber/pale ale (688 characters)

I love Victory's HopDevil IPA. By far my favorite IPA. Great to see such great beers coming from my Hometown!!!

A: Amber

S: Hoppy and Citrus

T: Well balanced hops with a grapefruit finish

M: Light and bubbly

D: This is my absolute favorite American IPA and raises the bar to the California Pale Ale's (306 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- This beer pours out a nice clear/dark reddish copper color with a 2 finger foamy tan head that recedes very slowly, eventually leaving a patch in the middle and a ring of foam that clings to the sides of the glass.

S- A very strong grapefruit smell, with orange zest and dark caramel malt. Very nicely balanced.

T- Just like the nose, alot of grapefruit (maybe a tad too much for my taste), orange zest from the hops, and a dark caramel taste from the malts. Bitter at first taste, then the malt evens the taste, and then again, a pretty bitter yet delicious finish and aftertaste

M- Medium body, and a pretty good amount of sharp carbonation. Dry, bitter, citrus aftertaste that stays around for a good while, especially in the back of your mouth.

D- Fresh and well balanced. This is a bitter beer with malt sweetness to balance it out. I have had several of these in the past that have had less of a grapefruit taste, so that may have just been this bottle. Overall a great IPA for those who like hoppy bitter IPA's with a good but not overpowering malt background. (1,074 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

Good go on west-coast style ultra-hopped IPA and is very drinkable...but it doesn't quite hit the mark for me. I think it's the strong malt that I find a bit distracting, but others of course may find this characteristic appealing. Would I drink it every day? Pronably if it was the only hop-tastic beer I could get my hands on, but alas there's lots of options, even here in NoVA. Thanks for the effort Victory! (412 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Medium amber appearance with a small head that disappears quickly. Smells somewhat sweet with a pine and citrus backdrop.

Tastes sweet at first with a somewhat bitter mouthfeel and with a tart aftertaste.

The balanced taste with a smooth initial taste and pleasant aftertaste along with a not-so heavy body makes me love drinking this beer. One of my favorite hoppy brews for drinkability. (391 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

poured from bottle into pint
app-nice orange color, more than their pale ale, thin white head, goes away quickly
smell- smells wonderful, right on target for an ipa, reminds me of some dipas
taste- not disappointed has what we are looking for nice hop punch outpaces the malt, but not out of balance, again reminds me of some doubles, let's call it a 1.5 ipa
mouthfeel-has some of a oily like feel that i enjoy from an ipa, i like it
overall- i am a fan, will be having this one again, not a life-changing beer, but can't pick out anything wrong with it (555 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -6.9%

its got that carmel color with a nice one finger hear that leaves you very soon. leaves some slight lacing, and has that fruity grapefruit smell. at first its a bit malty, and then transitions into citrus. I feel its a little thick for an ipa, little syrupy, however goes very well with a ribeye steak. feels ok in your mouth, and if you wait for that tingly sensation its way good. Good example of a hoppy ale, and one of Victories staple points. I hear Victories hop wallup is good stuff, but if you can't find it, this is good stuff. (536 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

I was so excited to finally see this beer on shelves near me. I have been keeping an eye out for it for quite a while and just randomly happened to notice it today. I can't get enough hops so a name like 'hopdevil' caught my attention the first time I heard about it. Upon cracking the bottle, I could immediatly smell what else, but hops. Hops and some citrus. It looked great in my glass; it poured a nice hazy amber color which is exactly how I like an IPA to look. First taste was great, a little malty taste for the first instant but then HOPS. A truly awesome beer, the type of IPA I have been looking for. I think I might have a few more after this one as I find it to be highly drinkable (although I can see how lesser fans of hops might not) but I think I'll save a few because they were pretty expensive at $8.69.
A great beer. If you like hops and well balanced but complex IPA's, pick this up! (906 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

A-Had a goblet of this on tap at the Muddy Pig, in St. Paul, Minnesota. Served with a nice two inch creamy head and a bronze color.

S-Nice pine and citrus scent, hops really coming through, living up to its name.

T-Very refreshing ale, citrus, grapefruit maybe, fairly sweet.

MF- A lot of carbonation up front and nice dry finish.

D- I am really liking these hopped up beers, even with the higher abv of HopDevil, I could sit and drink a few of these in a row. (464 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Deep amber orange body with a hint of brown that produces an extremely light brown tan bubbly head the size of 1.5 fingers. Very attractive thick earthy lacing as the head mellows.

Dude, this ale smells totally awesome. Spicy pine-like hops that entices me to hoover one huge gulp. First, the caramel malt comes to play. The spicy pine hops are introduced mid-way and just overtake any malt presence. As the brew rises in temp, the hop spice accentuates.

This beer is pretty 'sharp' in terms of mouthfeel. That hop bite is very assertive when it comes down to crispiness. This brew is just friggin' tasty. It surely hits the spot, very refreshing. (651 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Served in a tulip from a bomber.

A: Nice amber color. I got about a finger of head with minimal lacing. Light foam with gentle carbination.

S: The nose is of honey and very faint flowers. Very light spice. Different from most IPA's I've had.

T: Quite smooth for an IPA. There is a hoppy bite but it is well balanced with some malt sweetness.

M: Light carbonation with a light to medium body. It has a dry finish.

D: I really like this. I find that I could really have more than one. It has a great balance of taste versus ABV.

Overall: Great beer! I'm a huge IPA fan but have never had this one. I will be adding this to my permanent rotation. Check it out! (664 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a beautiful amber with a just off-white head, leaves great lacing on the way down.

Smell is very nice, pretty hoppy and citrusy, exactly what you'd expect for an IPA, with some piney notes.

Hits the mouth fantastic, really nice flavor, especially in conjunction with smell. Lip smacking. Aftertaste was too bitter for my tastes though, seemed like a bit of overklll.

Another fine Victory beer, I would definitely buy again even if the aftertaste pulled down the overall experience. Would definitely try it on tap if I could find it in my neck of the woods. (566 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -12.3%

Picked up at Kroger's on South Voss in Houston, TX.

A: Poured this into a pint glass. Copper color with a small head which quickly dissipates, leaving ample lacing.

S: Hops, hops, and more hops, blended with malts, citrus, and spice. A hint of pine.

T: Hops and Malt, bitter aftertaste. Though it lacks the balance and fruit nuances that usually shows in most IPAs I've had.

M: Velvety and smooth, and dry. Little carbonation.

D: Bitter, but very drinkable. (462 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

This beer was a little to heavy for my personbal taste. It was also a bit too bitter because of the heavy level of hops in it. It finished somewhat clean but definately(to me) tasted better colder. I will be very honest, I only ordered it because it had an awesome looking bottle. I would just rather drink a differnt IPA stlye beer, so I consider thios one just "average" (372 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured from bottle into 22 ounce glass.. Slight head that remained in this light copper coloured beer.. Has hoppy taste that is not too bad overall.. Lace left on glass after finishing, leaves slight after taste... Will buy again next year in a six pack.. (255 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

Bottle into pint glass. Great looking beer!

A - Almost a 1" head on this caramelish dark looking IPA
S - This asks you to take a drink... really nice hoppy smell to this one.
T & M - Hops coat the mouth and last for a perfect amount of pleasure before taking the next sip.
D - Will pick it up again if I see it.

Nice to know Satan is growing good hops and has a knack for brewing. (382 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Service Type: Bottle into a pint.

Appearance: A relatively clear amber/dark orange color with a one and a half finger head that lasted almost the entire beer; it left significant lacing behind.

Smell: A wonderful citrus hops that was never off-putting and always appetizing.

Taste: I was surprised to first taste an initial sweet malt up front before the hops began to assert themselves in a way traditionally associated with IPAs. The malty notes remained throughout the drink but did not overshadow the star of the beer, the hops. In general there was a nice balance between the sweet malt and the bitter hops, with the hop flavors remaining dominant throughout.

Mouthfeel: I found this to be medium to full bodied without being overwhelming. There was also moderate carbonation

Drinkability: This is a great example of a balanced IPA; a strong but not overwhelming bitter flavor with nice malty undertones to make it more drinkable than many other IPAs. My favorite IPA to date.

Summary: Will definitely drink again. (1,032 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a very good IPA that I love drinking with any sort of food. Typically I enjoy this beer when I got out or am just relaxing around the house as well. It's obviously very hoppy, being an IPA, but it is also very well balanced and easy to drink. (250 characters)

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company