Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,459 | Hads: 7,011
4.68/5  rDev +15%

The Devil made me do it. Victory Hopdevil is a exceptional IPA,
the hoppy flavor is may be overpowering to a drinker of the big boy brews but a true beer drinker will appericate the taste of this superb beer.

The color, the taste, and the aroma will have you say
The Devil made me do it too.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

12 oz bottle in a tulip

Appearance - Copper with a tan foamy head. Pours clear with bubbles throughout the beer.

Smell - Hoppy and bright, hints of citrus and hops (of course)

Taste - Beautifully bitter, noce green hop taste followed by grapefruit and malt.

Mouthfeel - Thick for an IPA, but quite nice. Bubbly.

Drinkability - Oh yeah, I could drink these all night, Often I do.

2.94/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Bottle has a date stamp 'Enjoy by may 14th, 07. Date of this tasting: Feb. 07, 2007.

Appearance - clear. Rich Orangish/red color. Very minimal head but stays throughout.

Smell - some hop but less than I expected for a 'hop devil'. In fact, I'm having a hard time getting much out of the aroma. Some cereal characteristics in the malt

Taste - bittering hops definitely come through. Decent malt flavor but takes a back seat to the bitter. Malt does begin to come forward as beer warms. The main characteristic of this beer seems to be the bittering hops.

Mouthfeel - A little thin for a 6.7 ABV

Drinkability - good if you are looking for a focus on bittering hops and for the same reason not a good session beer.

4.01/5  rDev -1.5%

A- Medium Copper Color, Light Tan Cream Head, Nice Head Retention, Average Lacing

S- Piney Hops, Sweet Mild Citrus.

T- Up Front Hops Presents, Sweet & Spicy Citrus Finish, Good Back Of The Mouth Taste.

M- Medium Body, Crisp Slightly Dry Finish.

D- Easy Drinkable IPA,

4.01/5  rDev -1.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a DFH Signature Glass -- Best By 16 Sep 09

Appearance -- A nice copper with soapy head on the pour giving way to a thin head with nice vanilla colored lacing

Smell -- Not at all what I expected considering the name and label. The sweet malts really jump out at me with very little citrus or pine.

Taste -- Again, much like the smell, the malt really jumps on my palette at the start. As a newer IPA fan I've found that I'm a big fan of the west coast style IPA with heavy Cascade and Columbus hops...this beer really pointed out the big difference between east and west coast as the hops really kicked in on the backside with a nice bitterness to clean some of that malt off my palette. Totally different experience but not all that bad.

Mouth Feel -- the moderate level of carbonation is a great complement to the sequence of flavors of the beer.

Drinkability -- At a moderate ABV and good mouth feel, this one goes down preettttaay, prettttaaay, pretty good. I'll probably purchase this one again.

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

This beer is extremely over-rated. It smells and looks good, but the flavor is so unbalanced. Left me with a dry mouth feel. I'm glad someone gave it to me and I didn't buy the six pack.
I love IPA's but I prefer a balanced taste like a 90 min DFH.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

wow. The lip-smacking tropical fruit notes dominate this beautifully aggressive, rich East Coast IPA.
pours a light, bright coppery-orange from a fresh 12oz. bottle.
Apples, pineapple, and mango on the sweet, inviting nose.
On the tongue the tropical fruit just explodes!
Tons of guava upfront, followed by mango, papaya and eventually ruby-red grapefruit as the HopDevil works his finishing magic and reminds you that he indeed hails from the earth of Pennslyvania.
With quite a pleasant pucker the tropical attack finishes dry and earthy and the Hop Devil goes down smooth.
Hell of a delightful, persistant finish, as the hops and fruits play around the mouth for minutes after sips!
Maybe too highly sessionable.
Great East Coast IPA.

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

First time reviewing in a bar. Not sure how this will go.

Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass. Let it breathe a bit.

A - Seems to be a light brown/amber color, but appears to be a hazy light golden color when lighted. Starts w/ dense light-peach colored head, and this slowly fades to nothingness.

S - Dominated by floral hops and ruby grapefruit. Very appealing to me. I think I get a pale malt, and the slightest bit of caramel. A slight wheat bread smell, that my mind interpreted as papery at first (not in a skunked way, a positive way). I might be imagining this, but I also smell lemon.

T - Few words needed here. Floral hops, grapefruit, and a beautiful bitterness. It's so perfectly balanced that I have no words to describe it. It starts w/ grapefruit, then adds floral hops, then finishes w/ a nice bitterness. All three flavors hold together at the end. The crispness and individuality of each taste is what blows my mind.

M - Medium body. A little slickness. Coats the mouth well. Medium carbonation. It just chills in your mouth. It's not a trouble maker.

D - Downs easy if you like hops. If you don't, skip this one. I could drink a few of these before I would want to switch. Not a session beer for everyone.

This is among my favorites. It has simple flavors, that come together perfectly.

2.78/5  rDev -31.7%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A- Beautiful amber color, but unlike other review I hac very very little head that dissipated very quickly.

S- Very hoppy, piney, and a slight hint of citrus.

T- BOOM!!! Hit hard with the hops, and pines, never got the citrus.

M- Very very dry. Heavy carbonation, or maybe thats just the hops.

O- Im a little unsure. Its good for an IPA, but I think its a little too heavy on the hops for my own personal taste. Just my opinion though.

Tasted and Reviewed 1945-2015 10/31/11

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: Pours a golden brown with a finger of sticky head. Looks gorgeous. Laces nicely all the way down.

Smell: Some sweetness at the front, with some definite floral notes following. Nothing complex or over powering, smells like an IPA.

Taste: I get an immediate kick of the hops, which works well with the carbonation. It finishes a bit sweet, almost honey like. There's some grapefruit-like taste in there as well.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and crisp, leaves a good taste in the mouth. Leaves you wanting more.

Overall: A very interesting IPA indeed. It doesn't finish with a strong bite like you would expect, rather it hits you right up front and fades into a bubbly sweetness. I got this in a make your own 6 pack, and I'm glad I did. Not sure if I'd go for a 6 pack of this by itself though.

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%

This beer is a nice dark amber, and has a captivating aroma. The hops are extremely present in the first smell. The first taste is quite overwhelming, given the elevated IBUs, but subsequent mouthfuls proof to be less intense. Eventually the beer provides a very pleaseant mouthfeel, and extremely satisfying taste. Not for the weak of heart, but a must for any hophead.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

I'm not a big fan of IPAs. So, I was ready to be disappointed with all of the hype. But I wasn't disappointed. This is probably the best IPA I've had.

I had it in a bottle ($3.50) at Monk's in Philly.
It was darker than I was expecting from an IPA. It was dark in Monk's but, to me, it still looked more dark than than golden.
Lots of hops obviously, but I don't think they kill you. They balance it well enough (I guess with the high alcohol content? -I know it's probably in a beer 101 article).

If you like IPA you'll like it...if you don't like IPA you might like it anyway.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

First tried this at the Old Dominion BeerFest in June '05; finally found it for sale at a wine store in Reston, Virginia.

Poured a nice, amber color, with an off-white head, about one finger's worth; head dissipated slowly, but still showed a partial head even to the last sip. Left a nice lacing throughout. Hoppy taste, very easy to drink. One of the best beers I've had in a long time.

Price was $8.99 for a sixer, which I thought was high, but for the quality of this beer, it was well worth the price.

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

Appearance: A nice IPA light brown with a thin head and little lacing to speak of.

Smell: A bit cleaner than you'd expect for an IPA of this strength. A few notes of roasted nuts come through.

Taste: Hop heavy, as the name obviously implies. This is an unpretentous beer, so I can forgive it for its complete lack of balance. This is supposed to be a hop-hitter and it certainly lives up to that. Sweeter and less bitter than your typical hophead feature, but that's about all there is to add.

Mouthfeel: The sharp bitterness of the hops dominates as you'd expect. Still, light in body for an IPA.

Drinkability: Surprisingly drinkable on a hot day. This beer would hold up well against some spicy food and sweating-hot weather.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

S-Bottle from a six pack that I picked up at the local store. Victory is big in PA where I was in school, but living in MA now I was surpised but happy to see their stuff in the cooler. Then I got home and saw the enjoy by July 2005 stamp on the side of the bottle...this was November 10th...oh well, I gave it a try anyway. It was still pretty good.

A-The usual IPA, reddish brown slightly golden color. A nice light head on top that left behind plenty of lacing on the way down.

S-Not as overpowering as IPAs usually are. Mind you, that is a smell I like so overpowering is not used in any negative sense here...but anyway, this didn't have the trademark super hoppy scent that I have come to expect from most IPAs. It was still there, just more subdued and subtle in its hoppiness.

Taste-Since I couldn't compare this to a fresh beer, I don't know whether this was tasting right or not. But, it was not bad at all. This was not as hoppy as other beers of this kind I have had, but that's not a bad thing since I think sometimes it gets overdone. Some hopiness was still there and the beer is filled with strong flavors throughout.

Mouthfeel-Pretty good. Again, who knows what the age did to it here. It was not very carbonated...only a slight bit present. Nothing to complain about though, nice and smooth with a little bite to it.

D-Just fine. Can't really taste the high octane in this one at all. Goes down smooth, even if it is 4 months too old! Very good balanced flavor, not so assaulting you can keep drinking it. Would try again for sure, hopefully a fresh one next time.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured from Bottle into pint. Good copper/amber color. Thin off white head very little lacing.

Pour: Poured into pint glass with a thin off white head. Very little lacing.

Smell: Good bouquet with little hoppyness for something called Hopdevil. Overall it is good.

Taste: Fruity notes. Not hoppy enough.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean.

Drinkability: Good clean taste, and very drinkable. I would have expected more HOP!

3.84/5  rDev -5.7%

A: Carmel-colored in appearance. Effervescent but not overly so. I'd think a shitty beer would bubble up too fast and lose its carbonation. Head is sustained for a decent amount of time. Lacing strong even in just the head.

S: Light and hoppy, but I think maybe my glass smells a bit wierd. Its been in my fridge for a while.

T: It would be a nice beer to pair with some kind of food. Some pasta or salad I think. It doesn't have the bite I like in a strong IPA, but solid nonetheless.

M: Balanced. Doesn't really blow up in your mouth like champagne, but keeps its bubbly for a while and is fun to strain over the tongue. I like this about it quite a bit. I think it's the strongest point about this beer.

D: Yeah, it's really good. It's a fine beer and I wouldn't mind making it a staple of my fridge if I wasn't so into variety. I'd think of it as a good average or median of what an IPA should be for the beer uninitiated. I actually had a person drink this along with Victory's Golden Monkey to see where they stood on the malt/hops scale. Turns out he didn't like either, but I think this was actually a good way to find out. Yumm yumm

2.32/5  rDev -43%

Pours a translucent amber color as you would expect, with little head. Upon the first sniff I proclaimed to myself 'It smells like Budweiser' and to me, it does, absolutely nothing here for me in the smell department. Upon taste, it kinda tastes like budweiser too, although with the typical hoppy bitterness of ales. The mouthfeel is very bright on the tounge, too much carbonation for my tastes. I suppose this might be a good session beer if you want something like an american lager with hops. But I might recommend looking for something else in the American IPA department.

4.72/5  rDev +16%

I am not going to beat around the bush on this wonderful brew. I have tried many good IPA's but this one is simply the best! Pure and simple. If you haven't tried it, you are missing on a wonderful thing.
Some say it's an acquired taste. I don't believe that.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

For my first review, I've selected a beer that has become one of my standard issue, go to brews...I've been pretty impressed with Victory in general, and this beer in particular, during my numerous tastings of it.

HopDevil pours a ruddy, pale orange color, usually with a fairly solid, substantial head, if you pour it aggressively. First notes to your nose are a little grapefruit and piney hops, but definitely more citrus than x-mas. It has a smooth mouthfeel, with enough carbonation to be bracing but not obnoxious. The hops, of course, are the centerpiece of the beer, but there is great malty balance to it, and that, I think, is this beer's true strength. It is very well balanced and eminently drinkable, despite its modestly high ABV. It finishes more bitter than it tastes initially, but that's not a bad thing, as the hop profile of this is pretty tasty.

One final note, if you can find this on tap, as I do at Tallula in Arlington, VA, you'll find a slightly smoother, less carbonated mouthfeel. Definitely worth seeking out.

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - dark coppery/amber/bronze colors immediately noticable, fluffy off white head with minimal yet apparent lacing

S - rustic american hop smell

T - bitter dry hops, and malty backbone

M - definitely feels great on the mouth, lots of pleasant carbonation

D - A+

3.91/5  rDev -3.9%

This is a great IPA! One of my few that are always in stock in my fridge. The pour produces a golden full bodied appearance with ample frothy head that lasts. The smell is sticky sweet with a hint of the delicious hops. Mouthfeel is full and well balanced with excellent taste. I enjoy a full bodied beer and this really delivers!

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

This is probably one of the best IPA's I've had, and a beer that I'll return to from time to time. You can't go wrong with Hopdevil. Very hop-heavy, with a a bitter, but well balanced aftertaste. Very piney/grassy, with a medium bodied feel. Tonight I've had 4 IPA's, Titan IPA (Great Divide) , Union Jack IPA (Firestone), Stone IPA (Stone), and Hopdevil. Out of the four, I'd go back to this one first. If you've ever tried the Union Jack or the Stone, this is a similar beer in regards to it's high hop presence and grassy/piney/floral taste. Try it!

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Crystal clear deep amber, solid thick head that fades after about 5 minutes with a little lingering on the beer surface. Beautiful.

Smell: Very floral, almost reminds me of a quick whiff of rose with some lemony citrus to balance. Very nice. A little bit of malty sweetness.

Taste: Well balanced bitterness and malt profile. Grapefruit and citrus flavors up front. A little bit of pine or resin notes. A touch herbal. Noticeable alcohol. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, although as mentioned above, noticeable alcohol.

Overall: Very good. No upfront flaws apparent outright. Really enjoyable, it would be easy to drink a few of these. A well balanced IPA, which isn't always easy to find. Highly recommended.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Beer dude # 2 reports the beer dudes enjoyed the rich hoppy aroma along with the reddish yet clear appearance. The beer dudes like the just right hoppiness with the lasting after taste. The beer dudes recommend this beer as a good staple to have in the fridge for an ipa.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company