Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

3.38/5  rDev -17%

Pours out burnt orange in colour, there was very little head initially and what was there vanished almost immediately.

The aroma is fairly non-distinct...softly floral like many hoppy beers, and a bit of malt is sneaking in there but it's still fairly so-so.

The mouth starts of sweetly malty and then transitions smoothly into the hops which assert themselves strongly on the back of the tongue like a piney citrus twang. The hops were quite strong, but not to the point of being unenjoyable, largely because there was at least some attempt to keep the beer balanced. The after-taste lingers with the hops just refusing to let go of my tongue.

Mouth is fairly light, but that should be expected with this style of beer. Drinkability, a shade above average but nothing remarkable.

This isn't a bad beer, but it takes a really special IPA to grab my attention and this one just isn't that far above average to warrant special mention.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

The appearance was quite coppery for an IPA, average off white head. The smell is of a hop bomb, a little sweet, but definitely an IPA by scent. The taste is obviously a hop bomb, but for an IPA, there is a slightly more roasted of a flavor to the malt witch balances and sweetens the beer nicely. A lot of grapefruit and citrusy tones. I am a hop head, and I have had hoppier beers, I would put this at about a 7 or 7.5 on the hop scale. Mouthfeel and drinkability were good, but nothing stood out. I could definitely sit and have more than a couple of these.

I was at the liqour store and this bottle looked at me and say "Hey, I'm Hopdevil." 'Nuff said. We went home together.

Dark amber orange. Wife messed up the pour. She usually does great so I'm not mad. Much. Tiny little head. Second pour results in a much better head (daddy poured).

The hop scent is surprisingly subdued. I mean it's called hopdevil. Smells more like a hop-lower-level-demon.

Taste is a little more than moderately hoppy, but it isn't blowing my ears off. I'm a big fan of Ruination or even Hop-15 and here's my gripe: if you use the word hop in the name, it better be some HOPPY ass shit!

OK, I'm done bitching. This is still a solid brew, it is hoppy enough and I guess I'm not judging it's name after all.

Overall: good tasty stuff, worth your time

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Paid $1.33 for a 12oz bottle from Festival Foods in Manitowoc, WI. Poured into a pint glass to review.

A large head of about two inches; wish I was more gentle on the pour here. Head is off white and quite pillowey. Transparent and copper in color with minimal rising carbonation bubbles. Nice retention and lacing.

A nice hop bouquet which leans more towards the balanced side for its style. Almost perfumy hop aromas of citrus, apricot and peach yet with a nice malty backbone.

Much more hop forward than I was expecting, this really is well above average for its style. Takes on a much more sticky pine character in the mouth with tropical fruits adding a welcomed layer of flavor.

Very drinkable with a superb mouthfeel. Lightly carbonated, medium body, medium finish and quite oily.

Being a sucker for a west coast IPA, I must admit that my expectations were lower than my current perception of this fine brew.

3.7/5  rDev -9.1%

A- Pours a very nice amber/copper color with a large yellow/white fluffy head that leaves trace amounts of lacing on the glass...

S- Doesn't quite smell like an IPA like I would have expected. The sweet malt caramel is very prominent in the nose with some biscuit and raisin coming through...

T/M- Definitely more hops in the taste than the smell alludes. I do get a strong hop bitterness with less of a hop taste than I would have liked, but its still a great beer. I get a very earthy/wood taste with some pine laced without. Strong raisin/fig deep within a balanced malt backbone. Balanced body and carbonation of medium level really smooth this one out...

D- Yes and no. I like this beer, but I like IPAs... As far as comparison, the only IPA I can think of that this is more drinkable is the GI IPA. There is something about the earthiness in some of these IPAs that turn me off of drinkability...

Overall, very solid IPA that has some tendencies that I can appreciate, but are against my own personal liking. I prefer the more floral/fruity IPAs rather than the warmth and earthiness of this one. Almost came off a bit too phenolic for an IPA....

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Sampled: 12 oz. bottle, in pint glass. Beautifully coppery color that screams "DRINK ME!!"

Aroma: Intensely florally hoppy. Starts out with a hop hit that would normally have me saying "Uh-oh..." and reaching for a grapefruit knife. But it remains in balance - the Cascade hops just are there, pronounced, throughout the swallow. The background flavors that peek through are bitterness and a rounded caramel maltiness.

If you were to graph the flavor profile of this beer, it'd be a straight line - no switchover between hoppiness and maltiness, bitterness and sweetness. It retains its predominantly floral hop flavor throughout at about the same degree of hop-malt balance. A very nice American IPA.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

12 oz bottle into DFH snifter

A - Pours a deep copper, clear, with half a finger of a grainy-cream colored head. I really like the color and the lacing is nice.

S - Grassy and grapefruit hops with a hint of sweetness. some grainy malt and sweet malt in the background.

T - Sweet and bitter. Hoppy pine and grapefruit with a touch of grass. Some malt sweetness. Perhaps a bit plain. I remember it being much better and hoppier on draft.

M - Medium body with nice active carbonation.

D - Slightly disappointing, but very tasty and drinkable overall. I remember it being far far better on draft, so perhaps the bottle is a bit old and out of its prime.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

3.5/5  rDev -14%

3.1/5  rDev -23.8%

Pours orange/brown (too orange and light for me to call it an amber). Awfully clear. Tiny white head with very durable lacing.
Smells like cascades, man.
Tastes a bit like cascades, too. Pretty bitter at the back and end. A bite to that.
A fine brew. I'd like to see it come out more even on the tongue. The tangy aftertaste - all over the sides and back of the mouth - could probably be cut a bit with (gasp) a bit more sweetness to it.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company