Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
apants007

3.74/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

cold bottle to pint glass-

pours golden brown with a nice foamy white small bubble head that leaves nice lacing going down the glass.

has a nice bitter citrus aroma.

has dry grapefruit as the dominant flavor... nice well rounded bitterness with just enough sweetness to keep the funk in check.

coats the tongue nice and slow and has a pleasant lingering aftertaste.

grabbed this guy on accident... I had always been turned off by the label! I was pleasantly surprised . I will most likely drink this again soon. on purpose next time even!

06-03-2013 02:46:36 | More by apants007

Arizona

07-24-2014 14:26:35 | More by Chilly_E
Lafe

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

Ahh Hopdevil, how I love thee.

I'm a fan of the IPA style of beer, and I believe that Hopdevil is exemplary of the style. Big on malt and hops, this beer satisfies.

The pour reveals a pretty amber color, fairly clear with only a hint of haze (I can read this screen, albeit backwards, through my pint glass). The aroma is strongly hoppy, with a bit of malt behind it. A half-inch or so of head forms, then diminishes to a lacy covering. A good bit of lacing occurs on the side of the glass as the beer inevitably dwindles within.

The first taste is hoppy in flavor, and surprisingly well balanced between the bitterness and malty sweetness. One normally expects an IPA to be hoppy, and this one is, but not to the detriment of the malt base. The mouthfeel is substantial but not cloying, with hop oils playing a leading role. The sweetness of the malt and bitterness from the hops leave a very balanced sensation, from beginning to end. Carbonation is spot on, and supports the mouthfeel perfectly.

Overall, this beer is extremely satisfying, and well worth the $8ish per sixpack at which i can acuire it locally. It has become a staple in my beer fridge. Definitely one of my favorite, and most drinakable, commercial IPAs. (The other is Tupper's Hop Pocket).

03-29-2004 05:04:26 | More by Lafe
Sayson

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

What can I say about this beer that hasn't already been said? Damn little. This beer is an intense assault of hoppy goodness that just won't quit. The taste starts starts quietly and then explodes across the sides of the tongue with a tidal wave of bitterness. The aftertaste keeps going and going. Great mouthfeel very full.

What a great beer!

07-18-2014 01:10:29 | More by WindUpBird
mizzoueng

Missouri

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Copper-Reddish in color that was completly hazy. Aout half a finger head with a near full pour into my Arcadia tulip glass. Head stayed around for a little bit but dissapated quickly leaving nice lacing about halfway through.

S - Smelled of Centennial/Cascade hops, citrus, and caramel malt.

T - Bitter, with a nice citrus/acidic flavor. Malt was present, gave the beer a good body that complimented the hops well. The aftertaste was of citrus, like a tangerine, with some floral hints and of course hops.

M - Nice crisp full body. The beer felt somewhat heavy for an IPA but was a nice change of pace, I think the haze of the beer made it feel more like a heff in my mouth but still had the refreshing attributes I look for in an IPA.

D - I could deffinetly drink this again. I would like to try it on tap sometime to compare the difference between my bottle and draft (or cask).

My bottle had a "drink by" date of Oct 20 2007. No information as to the bottling date. A tulip did not seem to be the proper glass for this beer, but its all I had.

08-17-2007 01:36:00 | More by mizzoueng
mayor55

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured in tulip glass. Deep copper color, pretty clear. Nice light brown head approx 1". Excellent taste. Smells spicy. Head leaves nice thick rings on glass. Very drinkable. Very hoppy smell. Beautiful color and very clear. Good example of american IPA.

05-23-2008 19:20:31 | More by mayor55
blammasterj

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a bottle (enjoy by June 16, 2010) into my Brooklyn Brewery pint glass

A: Pours a nice amber color with a moderate head that diminishes into a sticky rim around the glass. Overall decent, but not great lacing down the glass.

S: Smells of floral and spicy hops and some sweet malts.

T: Taste is an amalgamation of sweet and bitter hops that are somewhat spicy and herbal and open up into lemon rind, and a nice bready malt backbone. There is a mild soapiness component to the otherwise perfect finish.

MF: Average mouthfeel with kind of a long finish.

D: A very refreshing beer, but I must say that I think it is overrated. To that end I think that this is a very good beer and a good IPA, but it doesn't exhibit the particular qualities that I look for in an award-winning IPA.

However this was amazing with a spicy stir-fry, the alcohol was completely hidden, and I definitely sessioned this devil.

05-03-2010 06:06:24 | More by blammasterj
ishinder

10-12-2012 07:55:38 | More by ishinder
Actionbastard

07-08-2012 21:53:53 | More by Actionbastard
Fear4Beer

3.76/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I'm not a fan of hoppy beer. There I said it. But I still want to try them out to change my perception of them. I had an IPA so hoppy, bitter, and similar to a pine cone that I decided not to try them for a while (I think it was Sierra Nevada's Torpedo).

This beer definitely has hops galore but without a mountain of bitterness. Is there bitterness? Yes absolutely, but I've experiences much worse. Was there a pine taste to it? Yes, unfortunately there was but it wasn't overwhelming.

For an IPA this is pretty nice and I like the price of $1.79 per bottle. But as a beer I'd rank this beer low since I'm not a fan of IPAs. I hear of these mythical fruit and hoppy beers... maybe I'd be into those. Too much pine and bitters, but maybe that's all they will ever be. Meh. I just don't understand how people can pretend to like beers like this.

06-09-2014 00:36:03 | More by Fear4Beer

kbaer77

06-02-2013 01:03:11 | More by kbaer77
jerryquijano

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

a- rich amber, not too much head except for thin lacing at top. the look of this beer is just begging for it to be consumed.
s- allergies are keeping me from indulging my nose into this.
t- big hops at the beginning that mellow nicely into a great taste. the hops at the front are very heavy but don't dominate the taste.
m- medium feel, not too heavy.
o- this beer is awesome. only the second american ipa i've had, but it definitely beats Inversion from Deschutes. enjoyed drinking this beer and definitely will try this again.

10-10-2013 02:13:54 | More by jerryquijano