Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,446 | Hads: 6,930
4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured bottle enjoy by 5/9/14 into New Belguim globe

A-Pours a great amber color with a slight ruby cast. Nice 1 1/2 finger head that dissipates with normal lacing.

S-Very nice nose of grapefruit and pine hops.

T-Taste is like the nose, mostly hops with grapefruit in the front.

M-Mouthfeel is medium body and smooth. Carbonation is normal. Finishes smoothly with a pleasant grapefruit bitterness that lingers.

O-I really enjoy this IPA, great hops and grapefruit. (471 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Good brew...my first from Victory. Met some folks at a local watering hole who highly recommended so I thought I would give it a shot. Definitely not dissapointed.

Nice rich amber color although a bit cloudy. Thick sticky head gets extra points.

Pine and citrus on the nose as you would expect, but kinda subdued...def not overpowering. An off note mixed in as well.

Something missing on the palate...not sure what it is. Game on bitterness with punch and hop loaded for sure but its missing a level of complexity seen in other competing brews of the same style. This is definitely a well crafted and tasty beer, but falls just short of the top tier for the style. For east cost offerings I'd stick with DFH or Troegg's Nugget Nectar although you will pay slightly more for each. (789 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -3.7%

BBD 3/20/14. Amber pour with a slight ruby cast. Nice head that dissipates with normal lacing. Very nice nose of grapefruit and pine hops. Light medium body and a smooth mouthfeel. Carbonation is below normal. Taste is like the nose, mostly hops with grapefruit in the forefront. Finishes smoothly with a pleasant grapefruit bitterness that lingers (348 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Orange color, one-finger head
S: Somewhat subtle but complex mix of citrus/pine hops, caramel, yeast and melon
T: Again this isn't in your face but really makes you stop and think about it. The palate also is hop-forward but also has a nice primary earthy component. The bready/yeasty notes from the male take second stage. Long finish, good complexity
M: Medium-bodied, long finish, light carbonation
O: This is one that stops and makes you think, which I really appreciate. Certainly an IPA, definitely tasty, just different enough that it's quite intriguing (600 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a very solid IPA. My first offering from Victory. Interested to see how it compares to some of the better Michigan IPA's I've tasted.

A: Nice clear amber color with a slight off white head. Aggressive pour into a pint glass drives a 1 1/2 inch head. Slowly dissipates and leaves solid lacing on the glass.
S: Slightly less hoppy aroma than I expected. I pick up some mild citrus and pine notes.
T: Nice! there's the hops I've been craving. Minimal malt flavor in the back ground.
M: Nice solid mouth feel, not chewy, with a solid bitter tang on the tongue.
O: A very drinkable IPA. Not quite up to a Two Heart but compares favorably to Founders Centennial or Dark Horse Crooked Tree. I'd rate this above Short's Humalupalicious. (737 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into snifter. Best by date 3/30/14

A Poured pretty aggressively into 16 oz snifter. This produced a fairly thick off white head that didn't last too long but produced a thick lacing that held. Color is transparent dark amber, very close to ruby.

S Musty, floral, and fruity. Hints of citrus and just a faint hint of hops.

T Taste certainly does not mirror the smell. Very hoppy. Right of front and thick and lingering at the back end. In between there is caramel/malt tinge of sweetness.

M Full for the style. Has backbone. Creamier than most IPAs. Finish is rough, but not bad, due to the bitterness.

O Pretty good if not a bit inconsistent. It is bitter and hoppy. I like that. However, there just seems to be something lacking. I am not talking balance. I don't need equal malt in an IPA. There just doesn't seem to be any complexity of mixture of flavors. I wish I could put my finger on it, but it's just lacking. Not bad at all, but just seems that it could be much better. Weird. (999 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a beautiful amber with a just off-white head, leaves great lacing on the way down.

Smell is very nice, pretty hoppy and citrusy, exactly what you'd expect for an IPA, with some piney notes.

Hits the mouth fantastic, really nice flavor, especially in conjunction with smell. Lip smacking. Aftertaste was too bitter for my tastes though, seemed like a bit of overklll.

Another fine Victory beer, I would definitely buy again even if the aftertaste pulled down the overall experience. Would definitely try it on tap if I could find it in my neck of the woods. (566 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance: a light orange color. pretty good clarity. two fingers of a foamy head that fades at a decent rate to a spotty lacing

Smell: hoppy, slight citrus and a bit of spice. very resiny. light toasted malts.

Taste: opens up with citrusy hops. some spicy hops follow. lots of resiny hops throughout. toasted bread throughout.

Mouthfeel: good carbonation but not quite crisp. lots of lingering bitterness. good medium feel.

Overall: a tasty super hopped ipa. not my usual style of ipa but still very good. my first victory beer that has scored in my book. (562 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

I'm really into IPAs and as far as American IPAs this is one is fantastic.
Nice opaque gold brown color with a very small white head and thin lace.
The aroma is very clean and grassy. The hops smell is very citrusy like an under ripe orange. There's also a real sent of apple like esters in there.
The taste follows the scent well but the fruitiness and malt flavors, which has a little honey to it, only really come through in the after taste, after the hops have had there time to wage war on your mouth. Which they do. The bitterness smacks your tongue and sits on the very back on your throat for a good while. This all done very well with a creamy mouthfeel and great drinkability. Beer is good. (703 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: amber, slightly hazy; small frothy head; slight lacing

Smell: sweet, bready malts with a big whiff of citrusy hops

Taste: Juicy malt with a big hit of hops; finishes with piney notes and a dry, lingering aftertaste

Mouthfeel: slightly creamy

Remarks: don't like the hop flavors in this one; it would probably be a decent IPA if I liked American hops (365 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. Date on bottle says best by December 29th 2013

A: Deep translucent amber body. Beige 2 finger head that had good retention and decent lacing.

S: Some citrus hop flavors as well as lots of carmel and bread malts.

T: This one is more malt forward with some piney hops on the end.

M: Good mouthfeel thick and creamy. Some slight astringency, as well as a coating on the teeth. Hides the booze well.

O: This is a good IPA I could drink this regularly. Its a decent value for the price point as well. (540 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Amber / orange tint with a decent carbonation. Head is two fingers after pouring, but fades quickly.

S: Orange citrus, caramel, with noticeable floral characteristics.

T: The malt backbone imparts sweetness at first. Finishes with a earthy hop kick. Lots of pine, juniper, smoke, and salt in that hop flavor.

M: Smooth and easy drinking, even with the emergence of hop flavor at the end. Leaves you smacking your lips as the sweet and spice elements mingle.

O: A very drinkable (even sessionable) IPA. Like their brethren on the West Coast, Victory has put its unique stamp on the style. What’s most impressive to me is how approachable this beer is. It isn’t over-hopped, still bold in its flavors, and backs off the intensity where others might try to amp it up a notch. Sometimes less is more. I certainly find myself able to put down 2 or 3 of these a lot easier than others. (935 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -0.7%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on December 3, 2013.

It pours a slightly medium amber color with a a fog and a short-lived cream-colored head that fades rather quickly.

The aroma has a nice earthy and piney hop sensation along with some spice and toasted pale malts but there is also a kind of buttery sensation in there that I cannot quite explain.

The body is medium and rather astringent or carbonated.

Earthy and piney hops are the flavor of the day when I take that first sip and those esters linger on for a little while at the end. Mild to moderate hop bitterness. It had some fine IPA characteristics. (618 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed out of a 12 oz brown bottle with an "enjoy by" date of Nov 28, 2013 etched into bottle near the neck. Poured into the IPA-specific glass from Speigelau. Consumed on 11/20, so this review is written from my tasting notes and photos.

Appearance - Standard pour yields a rocky beige two-finger head with significant pocking as the bubbles slowly start to burst. Retention is excellent, and when the foam does start to recede, it leaves ample sheets of lacing with sparse gaps. The body is a deep ruby amber color, with notes of maroon and burgundy, and an orange skin colored highlight where the light passes through.

Smell - Malted grain, molasses, caramel malt and a healthy dose of hop characteristics from both the earthy and citrus sides of the aroma family. However, I can't help wonder if the aroma would be a little more pungent (in a good way) if I wasn't consuming this bottle a mere week from the "best by" date. As it is, the grain bill is the headliner to me.

Taste - Here, the malt is more present, with notes of burnt caramel, brown sugar, fresh pumpernickel, and yet somehow so are the hops. The taste is more aggressive on both fronts than the smell was. Grapefruit and citrus zest, although they are subdued, likely from the time passed between bottling and opening. Either way, this is a very balanced IPA, rather than a hop bomb. Not to my preference, but well within the style.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with some light chewiness and carbonation level that is fairly low, but still detectible and enough to provide a consistent head throughout the enjoyment of the beverage. Semisweet finish.

Overall, a solid brew, but not one I'm likely to go out of my way to grab again. That being said, I tend towards the more West Coast style IPAs, so this one just isn't to my personal preference. However, I would encourage anyone who is a fan of big, meaty IPAs to pick up a bottle. (1,905 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

From a sampler pack I recently purchased
Victory Hop Devil IPA
No freshness date, but no indication that it's not prime either. Starts with a funky hop smell, but improves from there. Light carbonation and a swell bitterness that makes me wonder why this beer smells differently than it tastes. Perhaps it's the malts. 6.7% alcohol is unnoticeable. Not a striking IPA, but not a lousy one either. That being said, I could find a better option without much effort. (463 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-Dark gold with a small white head that left a nice lace as the glass went down
S-very hoppy with a citrus and pine smell in the smell also
T-hops with a grassy and pine flavor. The aftertaste is a dry pine flavor that is not overpowering. Later in the beer it gets less hoppy and more balanced
Mmedium body and medium carbonation
O-this beer was better as the glass went down. It was a very good IPA (401 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -1.5%

Appearance: Nice clear orangish color with a pale head that dissipates quickly. Good carbonation but little head retention.

Smell: Pleasant citrusy, earthy aroma with just a hit of malt and the end. Not overpowering but very present.

Taste: Much like the smell. Huge notes of citrus. Piney hops are present too. Malty toward the finish with a bitter, dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Excellent! Full bodied, very well carbonated and light enough to be
refreshing.

Overall: Excellent IPA and a great example of the style. An easy drinker that has a great aroma and full of flavor. I would've like a little more head retention and maybe a slightly more pronounced aroma but still one I'll definitely drink again. (709 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thought this was decent IPA. Not overly hoppy but good balance with malts and hops.
Good drink ability and it finished very clean on the palate.
My thoughts are this beer is a bit overrated on here for what I tasted, but it was still a solid beer.
:) (251 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bought as a single bottle, poured into a pint glass

Full disclosure - I am not typically a hoppy beer guy, bought it as a recommendation

A: orangish, decent lacing, about 1-2 cm foamy head

S: hoppy - citrus-y

T/M: First is the hoppiness assault on the palate, but the second wave is sort of a slightly sweet, maybe bready phase that balances out the hops quite nicely, there is an aftertaste that, for me, is difficult to define but is extremely pleasant. The carbonation is medium. The astounding aspect of this beer is that the hop flavor is so well counter balanced but it's still strongly pleasant that makes me wonder why I haven't tried more IPAs

O: excellent beer, again, not my beer style preference, but if more IPAs are built with this level of complexity, I might have to branch out (798 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- Dark amber color. Poured a 1 finger, creamy head that dissipated quickly. Nice lacing.
S- Tropical fruits, caramel, floral and some pine.
T- Big caramel sweetness mixed with orange and tropical fruits up front. Midway a biscuit like flavor pops out with strong pine flavors and some spice. As it warms, other sweet fruit flavors begin to show on the finish. One sip, I could've sworn I tasted strawberries.
M- Creamy with good carbonation. Oily finish with nice lingering bitterness.
O- Very good IPA. This is a mix I've never quite experienced. There are almost too many different flavors to name at times. Beautifully balanced and complex. Would definitely have again. (676 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I've had people tell me this is their favorite beer--I don't put it into that category but it still tastes darn good.

A: It pours a light amber color.
S & T: The smell and taste and some significant fruit undertones, so if you don't like that, stay away. As the name suggests, it's hoppy! First sip is delicious with a drier finish than one might expect. I like an IPA that's lip-smacking wet. This isn't quite that.
Overall: Out of the many options at the liquor store, I find myself regularly buying this beer. It's really tasty and a solid stand by if I'm not in the mood to get too adventurous with something new.

I can't agree with those who list this beer as their fave, but I'd put it in my top 15-20 IPAs. (718 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I always thought this one was a little over-rated and that it pales in comparison to most other american ipas I've had.
Appearance: Pours an awesome golden color with around .5" of head and it left great lacing.
Smell: Over- powering maltiness with some citrus and hop bite to it.
Taste: The same as the smell. The maltiness is over-powering to me, and it puts all of the other flavors on the back burner. There is some nice citrus flavor though.
Mouth: Medium carbonation with a med ium body.
Overall: Its not a terrible beer, but it is not the IPA for me. I believe this one defines the east coast IPA, but I like the west coast style a lot better. (651 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Could not locate a bottling date on the label or the bottle. Other bottles in the sixpack say enjoy by 1/16/14, and since Victory recommends drinking them within five months, they would have been bottled 8/16/13, about two and a half months ago.

Original 9/15/13 review of another bottle purchased earlier:
Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a Sierra Nevada IPA glass
a: Clear amber with a huge and stubborn 2 inch tall off white head which eventually receded to very heavy surface foam and extensive even lacing. Awesome!
s: Caramel! Unusual!
t: Bitter hops over very distinctively dark caramel malt with strong coffee undertones! Breakfast IPA, anyone? Coffee tones did tend to decline near the end, but left a slightly bitter aftertaste towards the entire back of the tongue. Refreshingly heavy carbonation.
m: Medium. Blindfolded, I might mistake this for a light breakfast stout!
o: A most unusual IPA, and one I need to try again to confirm this bizarre but very enjoyable profile.
My experience seems quite different from other recent reviews described below. I did not get either the citrus or overpowering hops, but rather caramel/coffee under moderate hops.. I loved it as it was, Definitely will buy more to see if that's how my palate reports it again.
Original ratings were a:5 s:4.75 t:4.75 m:4.25 o:4.75

NEW REVIEW 10/27/13: Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a Sierra Nevada IPA glass
a: Clear amber with a huge and stubborn 2 inch tall off white head which eventually receded to even surface foam film and some semi-patterned lacing.
s: Pine
t: Very hops dominant, light malt underneath. Bitterness lingers on the tongue.
m: Moderate with good body. Quite smooth,
o: Excellent IPA, bordering on a double and might pass for such. (1,749 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Bought a single 12 oz bottle at a supermarket to try it.
Chilled to 45 degrees F.
Poured into a Saint Arnold's 12 oz clear taster glass.
This beer is a sleeper. I was expecting a stronger nose given the style. What I did smell was very pleasant in a subtle way. I had to sniff it a few times to get a good olfactory reading. Nice. Almost no head. Rapid disappearance. Nice carbonation. Small, lightly populated trails of bubbles reaching the surface. Nice sticky lacing lasting till the end of the glass. This beer has a wonderful and interesting flavor. It does not come on as strong as many IPAs and yet as it lingers on your tongue you taste more and more flavors that entice you to raise the glass to your lips again.
I definitely like this beer. If you are hesitant to drink an AIPA, try this one.
A very pleasingly-smooth presentation of this style.
Worth storing a few. I am curious how it ages. (903 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
6.7% ABV, Enjoy by Oct 29th 2013

A - Dark orange rind amber hued, HopDevil's strong carbonation keeps floating particles in suspension while feeding the low creamy, off-white head. Sticky lace is left behind, circling the pint in rings.

S - Strong floral hops greet the olfactory right away and are backed by juicy tropical fruit notes and a faint hint of pine. Robust maltiness balances the hop-leaning aroma with toast and brown breadiness for an inviting nose.

T - Chewy caramel-drizzled warm, thickly sliced bread has a stranglehold on the beer but is briefly dethroned by smooth floral hops with a citrus, tropical fruit bite and earthy pine finish.

M - HopDevil's bolder maltiness gives the beer a heavier feel with sharp carbonation and dry hoppiness coming in on the bitter finish.

O - HopDevil is decidedly hoppy with plenty of floral, citrus, and pine notes and a bitter finish but the hops seem to do more work balancing against the big malt body of the beer rather than the other way around but, HopDevil remains a powerful beer regardless. (1,114 characters)

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company