Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
JizackFH

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - This beer pours a nice clear perfect copper color. It has a fluffy 2-finger off-white head on it. The head has excellent retention, and leaves a nice layer of sticky lace on the glass.

S - It smells of toasted malts, and also has a very nice hop character. There are notes of tropical fruits, as well as some citrus.

T - This starts off with a nice toasted malt background. There is a big burst of juicy bitter hops. I am also getting notes of caramel, fruit, some breadiness, and some citrus. The finish has a big hop bitterness that sticks to the palate and slowly fades.

M - It has a medium body and medium carbonation. It coats the mouth nicely and really lets you taste all of it. There is a big hop bitterness that sticks to the palate, which is a great thing for this style.

O - This has great drinkability. I really think it is a great example of an American IPA. I could easily drink a bunch of these, I'm on my third glass as I write this. Overall, I thought this was an awesome beer, and I will definitely drink it again. I recommend trying it if you haven't.

Serving type: growler

05-15-2011 08:09:56 | More by JizackFH
rzoq

3.63/5  rDev -11%

Poured a 12oz into a frozen pint.

Short, active head that dissipated fast. Smells like a boatload of hops with some malty backnotes. Comes across like an autumn beer.

Tastes quite the opposite. Hops to the face! Full on hop flower flavor that lingers long and smooth. Supreme lacing for the style. Burns a bit, in a good way. Astringent almost. Not getting many flavors besides the hops, but... el diablo, right?

Nice with spicy food. Or a sox/yankees game. Start with something less hoppy and ease into this one =)

05-14-2011 02:35:02 | More by rzoq
Vonerichs

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Clear dark orange color with a tall off white head from an aggressive pour. Spotty lacing to the finish.

The smell is earthy and some citrus hops with some sweetness from malt.

Floral, earthy, and spicey hops define the flavor. There is a light balance from the malt. Very bitter.

Mouthfeel is crisp and clean. Pefect medium body.

Overall, this goes down extremely easy. This is a classic IPA that I revisit frequently.

05-14-2011 01:20:21 | More by Vonerichs
billab914

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Three Floyd's glass. It poured a dark amber color with a slight red tint to it. It started with a moderate sized, sticky white head to it which lasted pretty well into drinking it. I love the color.

The aroma shows a lot of bitter, citrusy, grapefruit, hoppy flavors to it. Behind that I get some sweeter, slightly caramel like malts peeking through. It doesn't feel sweet at all even though you seem to get a pretty strong malt presence.

The taste shows more of those bitter, citrusy, juicy, hop flavors throughout the beer. I get grapefruit being the most present, with some orange flavors coming through as well. Again the malt comes through pretty well, but manages to show little sweetness. The finish is dry and bitter with more of the grapefruit flavors lingering.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being a little below average. Overall it's a pretty solid beer with a bold bitter, hop profile to it. Very drinkable and flavorful beer.

05-13-2011 21:32:49 | More by billab914
LusciousJackson

4.58/5  rDev +12.3%

Against my better judgment but at the recommendation of some respected BAs, here's my first review.

12 oz bottle poured into my New Belgium balloon. "Enjoy by Sept 14, 2011" so I'm on time. I'm greeted by about a finger of cream colored head. Looks thick and dense, but doesn't last long. Nothing exceptional in the lacing dept. Laser etched bicycle at the bottle of the glass is trickling bubbles through the gorgeous amber/orange maintaining a thin layer of head throughout the full tasting.

The aroma is more pine than citrus to me. A bit of the sweet malt comes through as well. For lack of a better term, it smells balanced.

The taste is hop forward without being overpowering. I get the citrus being mentioned in other reviews. Sweet malt comes through after the initial prickle of the hops wears off. The aftertaste is bitter, begging for another taste. The mouthfeel is what impresses me the most. It's creamy. Thick, but juicy. Love it, but playing devil's advocate it may not suit every situation.

This is a great balanced IPA that I don't feel like I have to concentrate on to enjoy. No feature overpowers the other leaving a very easy to drink beer that doesn't leave you wanting. A beautifully crafted favorite.

05-08-2011 03:07:38 | More by LusciousJackson
Aircow86

Indiana

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Served cold and poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: 3/4 a finger of head, I must admit it was a weak pour so I fault myself for that. Receded quickly but left some nice lacing down the glass. A darker amber color, one of the darkest IPAs I've seen.

Smell: Hops in the forefront, nothing too special. I smell some strong and sweet caramel malt, more than I like in my IPAs.

Taste: Again, nothing too special. This is tasty beer but nothing stands out to me, some light citrus hop flavors up front. The caramel malt is too strong for my liking here, a little sweet on the aftertaste.

Overall: A solid IPA but frankly, I expected more. I understand this is a matter of personal preference, but I just don't like such a strong malt presence in IPAs. I also have some Hop Wallop I'm waiting to try, I hope the malt there is more toned down than this.

05-07-2011 06:11:52 | More by Aircow86
snaotheus

Washington

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Pours a medium amber color, no visible sediment, moderate head, looks like it's going to lace quite nicely. Small amount of fine, slow carbonation. The beer just looks thick and juicy. Smell is refreshing, malty, somewhat piny. A little bit of citrus and and flowers as well.

Taste is dominated by hops (which is good), bitter dry pine, grapefruit rind, quite tasty.

Mouthfeel is dry and light, not sticky at all. Overall, very good beer.

05-05-2011 00:49:07 | More by snaotheus
mattjv

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a dark copper color with off white head.

Smell is everything one expects from an IPA. Grapefruit and orange citrus are most prominent, with piny notes. Sweet malty backbone comes through but the hops take center stage.

Robust bitterness is immediately present on the taste, doesn't wait till the finish to come out. The bitterness is far from overwhelming however, and works well with the rich caramel malt palate all the way through. bitterness becomes more pronounced on the finish along with all the hop flavors present in the aroma-grapefruit, orange, and pine. Lasting bitterness on the aftertaste is assertive but still keeps me coming right back for more.

Light/medium body with appropriate carbonation to match the malt. Overall a solid IPA and very balanced. Try it if you can get it.

05-04-2011 05:35:51 | More by mattjv
fox227

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

I'll come right and and say that this is one of those 'balanced' IPAs that I don't drink a whole lot of. I'm much more of a fan of hop-forward brews where the malt just kind of peaks through and says "hello" and then goes away. With this beer, the hops just kind of say "hello" and then the malt takes over things. This results in a more drinkable brew for most people.

A: Nice dark golden/red color with a cream one fingered head.

S: I don't get much from the smell at all, just a bit of bready malts.

T: The hop presence is sufficient, but no where near dominate. Thankfully the malt character is excellent, featuring sweet biscuit, caramel, and a bit of black tea like bitterness. The balance between sweet and hoppy is spot on, so the brew doesn't devolve into syrupy territory at all. Well done!

M: Nice carbonation tickles the tongue and sharp bitterness numbs for just a second or two - not too intense. The head is creamy and smooth. Impressive.

O: This is a fine IPA that I would drink any time, even though it's not exactly my favorite example of the style. It does what it intends and does it very well.

05-03-2011 21:13:35 | More by fox227
edthecat

Delaware

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

This showed up at my local liquor store so I decided to try it out.

Served from a bottle to a chilled pint glass

A - Beautiful golden/red coloring, slightly cloudy. Head on this is about 1/2 inch thick and frothy/bubbly. Nice lines of carbonation running up from the bottom of the glass to the top...Spectacular looking beer. Lacing down the glass with every sip.

S - Citrus and hops, but not overpowering... they are subtle. Traces of clove... may be? Sweet and aromatic.

T - Just, phenomenal. What you would expect from a "hoppy" beer, but the hops don't smack you in the face. Some grapefruit in the aftertaste... a refreshing and delicious beer. One of the best tasting American IPA's I have ever had. The malts smooth out the power of the hops ever so elegantly...

M- Smooth... easy to go down... with good after taste, but not residually "sticky". Certainly not a beer you need to chew, nor one that you need a chaser for... and the "after sip" is pleasant enough that you can further enjoy the beer.

O - One of the best American IPA's I've ever had.... if not one of the best beers I've ever had. Well balanced and delicious. At the end of the day... it comes down to "do I enjoy drinking this beer?"... and this one... is a the top of my must have list.

05-02-2011 17:36:48 | More by edthecat
WankelEngine

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a dark amber/brown color with a slight reddish tint. There is an off-white head which dissipates fairly quickly, leaving solid lacing.

S: Smells overwhelmingly of citrus and hops. There is light pine bitterness behind a range of tropical fruit flavors. I’m also getting a bit of a grape smell.

T: Upfront it is very sweet and fruity. It tastes very citrusy, even orange-like. This quickly fades to an herbal flavor. There is a little light malt flavor that lends a little bit of balance to the drink. There is a strong bitterness that develops mid-sip and persists long into the aftertaste.

M: Relatively thin and well carbonated.

O: A decent IPA. It is both fruity sweet and hoppy bitter. Fairly drinkable save for the bitter aftertaste.

05-01-2011 03:04:42 | More by WankelEngine
airheadmtrcycle

Georgia

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Very orange brew with an ivory head that lingers. Lacing is sticky and plentiful.

The aroma leans more toward the caramel malts than the hops. The tastes follow suit. This is usually the opposite of my preference in an IPA, but it works magnificently here. In fact, I was looking for something with a nice caramel malt flavor when I made the purchase. I had it between Dale's Pale Ale and Victory Hop Devil.

The mouth feel is flatter than I remember, but not to be considered a fault.

Hop Devil is a well conceived and a delicious IPA that I return to quite often, particularly when I'm looking for a great caramel taste. I feel fortunate to have the Victory products available here in Georgia.

04-30-2011 23:19:58 | More by airheadmtrcycle
Brunite

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

A: A nice deep copper color. A tan, fluffy head that recedes to leave major lacing.

S: Nice aromas here. Citrus...bold hops....very little malt.

T: This is it. A great IPA. Juicy grapefruit flavors abound. A tad bit of pine but citric notes rule. Delicious.

M: Medium body with just a slight bit of hop resin coating the mouth.

O: A great IPA.

04-30-2011 20:43:22 | More by Brunite
BranfordBound

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

12 oz bottle, best before July on the label.

Nice dark amber color with a two finger off-white colored head that leaves very nice lacing.

Smells of a nice mild hop note with some caramel underneath.

Very sweet/mild IPA. Bready and caramel malts start things off. Finishes with a balanced hop note that is fruity with some lingering pine.

Neutral mouthfeel with a low end of medium bodied.

An excellent session, everyday IPA. Pretty balanced and on the sweet side of things. Good value.

04-29-2011 20:42:42 | More by BranfordBound
loveingminor

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: poured into my yuengling beer glass, and it is a nice caramel color. Had a head, but I let it warm up a little (so I could taste even more hops), and the head is gone now.

Smell: pleasing. Slight smell of hops, which does not act as false advertising.

Taste: a delightful, balanced flavor of hops and malt. It doesn't have an overpowering flavor of hops (see Stegmaier IPA), but the hops presence is definitely there, even to my sometimes shoddy tastebuds.

Mouthfeel: not a light beer, I probably wouldn't want to enjoy this outside on a hot summer day, but it's a good beer to drink here in my apartment.

Overall: Stan recommends.

04-25-2011 19:58:55 | More by loveingminor
dbmernin83

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Revisiting an old friend. If memory serves correct, I believe this was one of, if not my very first, IPA.

Hazy amber with a sticky inch high head.
Thick hop aroma and some biscuity malt behind it.
Devil-ishly hoppy, but balanced with a strong malt back. Enough hop bitter to satisfy west coast cats, and enough balance for others to appreciate.
A truly delicious IPA. The reason I've liked IPAs for 7 years.

04-19-2011 00:26:37 | More by dbmernin83
kyleelton

3.45/5  rDev -15.4%

From the bottle into a Rahr and Sons Pint glass.

Clear orangy color. Beautiful thin, creamy head that laces nicely.

Floral hops nose. Lovely. Not overwhelming, but I can tell it's there.

Hops, of course. There's a lot of bitterness, but not very malty. The hops definitely overpower. Victory really wanted this to be hoppy.

Bit of an alcohol sting at the back. Good, thick, creamy body.

This isn't my favorite IPA. It's a little uneven, and bites in an unpleasant way. But, it's hoppy, which I love and would definitely recommend it to any hophead out there.

04-18-2011 23:23:12 | More by kyleelton
Bfarr

Washington

3.18/5  rDev -22.1%

Clear red amber with big foamy brown head with okay retention and spotty lacing. Peppery lager aroma. Super spicy hop front evened out nicely but quickly to malt sweetness. Light pepper linger and a hint of European hops. Smooth, even mouthfeel.

Good peppery flavor in this one, balanced and tasty. It’s mostly one dimensional that’s a good easy drinker. Without a big hop character or any outstanding flavor it’s a well-crafted good IPA. I would like to try fresh whenever possible.
Enjoy by June 2011 on the bottle

04-14-2011 21:34:24 | More by Bfarr
Jesse13713

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

Appearance - A crisp amber-golden brown. Reminds me of the leaves in the fall. Appears very citrusy with average carbonation.

Smell - A slightly milky citrus. Hoppy and floral.

Taste - Bursting with floral notes, citrus and lemon zest. Bitter and very 'springy'.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Medium bodied and easy to drink. Delicious all throughout and it kept me entertained. I know this is a short review, but I liked the beer quite a bit.

04-14-2011 04:29:12 | More by Jesse13713
Thads324

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

A : pours a lovely golden amber with a thick and frothy off white head that clings to the top of the brew.

S : a malty backbone that has an aroma mix of biscuits and honey hints. The hop is forward, with a mix of slight minty pine and a citrus back. The finish of hop is quick and light.

T : Starts with a fresh baked bread malt that blends into a hoppy middle. The hops are piney and have a tingling sensation (fresh!). The finish is like the smell, with a quick hop that is slightly citrus flavored, but not overwhelming or even prominent. Really light finish that is crisp and enjoyable.

M : not much lingering besides that tingling from the fresh hops. even feel and good body that ends a little fast.

Overall a pretty good ipa, but not overwhelmingly hoppy. The bitter could be upped and the flavor could be prolonged both in the middle and back end. As far as drinkability, this beer gets an A.

04-14-2011 02:43:15 | More by Thads324
thatlongname

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance: Orange and amber colored ale. looks still. Has a medium off-white head that seems like it sticks.

Smell: Strong hops and and a bit of malts in the nose. I also smell some citrus and fruity esters.

Taste: Bold hops flavors here. Lots of bitterness and lots of hops. This beer's smell and taste go together so well. The aroma makes you look forward to that next sip and the taste delivers.

Mouthfeel: Feels a little thicker than most IPA's I have had.

Overall: One of my favorite IPAs right now.

04-12-2011 18:52:10 | More by thatlongname
machostacos

Indiana

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured into my favorite tulip glass. Enjoy by July 14, 2011.

A: Deep copper/burnt orange with a hint of ruby, clear as day, with a tight 1-finger cream-colored head. Decent retention and good lacing. Looks like a million bucks in my tulip!

S: Loads of grapefruit, flowers, a little spice, and sweet caramel malt goodness. The aroma is very nice but it's just a little weak. I have a feeling this would be dynamite fresh on tap.

T: This IPA is just bursting with flavor. Explosion of bright, juicy grapefruit & citrus hops, a little floral, grassy, and resinous as well, flowing beautifully into the rich malts - sweet, caramely, a little buscuity and just a touch of spiciness from the alcohol. Finishes long and smooth with just the perfect amount of bitterness to keep you coming back for more. Fantastic.

M: Thick and chewy, oily and a little puckering. Medium carbonation keeps it smooth and full on the tongue.

O: Probably one of, if not -the- best "single" IPA I've had yet. Incredibly flavorful and perfectly balanced with just the right amount of bitterness. Incredibly drinkable and exceptionally well-crafted.

04-11-2011 04:19:28 | More by machostacos
beerinmorning

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

Let's just cut to the chase. Sometimes you know from the first sip when you have heaven in a glass.

An ideal pour that has a nice head and laces all the way to the end. The appearance is nice and thick with a light coppery color.

I like 'em hoppy, but some IPAs go too far and pick up a aspiriny flavor. This comes right to the edge, letting the full flavor of the hops come through.

The mouthfeel is, without the hyperbole, the best I have ever experienced. Full and thick feel, with a somewhat oily finish that goes down the hatch perfectly.

This is a beer that could get me in a lot of trouble if I let it. Just one more reason why I think Victory has the best lineup from top to bottom.

04-10-2011 03:28:18 | More by beerinmorning
bowz32

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

Head was medium lasting and steady.
Color was light redish brown slightly cloudly.
Smell was a sour grainy grapefruit.
Inital taste had a a byte at first but soon faded away had a grainy tatse similar to the smell with a long lasting after taste.
The body was medium to lite with average carbination.

Bought a 6 pack at the cork and cap in fot wayne IN i thought it was kind of expensive. wouldnt try it again.

04-08-2011 23:48:32 | More by bowz32
devinoconnor

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another solid performer from Victory Brewing.

Pours a golden bright sunny color, bursting of citrus and hoppy aromas. A bit of flowery scents on the nose.

Taste is a strong IPA, very hoppy and plenty of alcohol in there. Citrus flavor becomes more evident as it goes down.

Pretty serious IPA. Very enjoyable.

04-08-2011 17:00:31 | More by devinoconnor