Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
mbusster88

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into perfect pint glass.

A: Orange amber color with small off white head. Very small bubbles in the head, but it doesn't stay around long. Some carbonation coming off the glass but not very much at all.

S: Very big pine character in the nose. But also get the malty notes of toffee and caramel. Not sure if this bottle is really fresh or not.

T/M: Very good east coast ipa taste. Really get pine and some astringent flavors in the mouth. However I also get a lot of malt and caramel notes. Good mouth feel makes this rather enjoyable.

D: Good IPA, not sure if it was the freshest bottle, but still good. I think I would get this again but I definitely wont be running around looking for it. I might get some more if I find it fresher to double check.

01-09-2011 22:46:33 | More by mbusster88
womencantsail

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

Thanks to Jason for sending this one as an extra. I tried it quite some time ago, when I first started getting into beer, so it is nice to revisit this beer.

A: The pour is a clear amber color which is, sort of dark for an IPA, I must say. There's a thin off-white head to go with it.

S: Certainly some hops on the nose. Much more toward the sweet, fruity side of things with notes of mango, tangerine, orange, and overripe pineapple. Some caramel maltiness is in there as well.

T: Surprisingly bitter for such a sweet nose. Quite a bit of pine with a bit of a citrus peel bitterness, too. Some lemon zest and maybe a little bit of soap? A touch of bread and slightly burnt toffee, as well.

M: The body is medium with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: Maybe not quite as good as I had remembered it being a couple years ago, but still a pretty good and readily available IPA from Victory.

01-07-2011 04:36:08 | More by womencantsail
brewmudgeon

Wisconsin

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

victory hopdevil, best by March 25 2011. in mixed from festival, fond.

a 4 clear ruddy amber with an inch of yellowish white foam atop. decents rings of lace are left in its wake, at least at first.

s 3.5 would prefer a much bolder nose in an ipa.

t 3.5-4 soapy tasting, lemony. solid malt backing, but these hops are not all that tasty playing on a stage of pale and caramel maltiness. lingering pithy bitterness and something almost like coffee. yet it gets better as the beer warms a little.

m 4-4.5 ample carbonation, very creamy, almost overcarbonated (though that's easily remedied). soft medium body.

d 3-3.5-4 not much to my liking despite some redeeming qualities. really expected to enjoy this one much more, but am willing to try another specimen on another day. did improve a bit toward the end of the glass, enough to up some scoring.

01-06-2011 00:32:11 | More by brewmudgeon
Beerbluesbiology

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured an amber-reddish body with a two finger head which slowly dissipates to a thin layer of foam. Smells of cone hops-slightly cedarish with hints of nuts and citrus. Tastes wonderful-unlike other IPA's which simply try to blow you away with hops, this IPA has a strong hop presence but enough malt backbone sweetness to compliment the hoppy bitterness. Overall an excellent brew and quite possibly my favorite IPA.

01-03-2011 23:22:59 | More by Beerbluesbiology
random846

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance: Pours a dark gold/amber color with two fingers of off-white head.

Smell: Floral, citrusy, hoppy. Smells great.

Taste: A good bitter taste, not too overbearing. Really like the hops. Nice finish. Some sweetness from the malt throughout.

Mouthfeel: Good mouthfeel, medium body, crisp.

Drinkability: With a good taste and mouthfeel this is a beer that I can drink over and over.

01-03-2011 06:27:18 | More by random846
yankiac

4.08/5  rDev 0%

A - Dark amber in color with orangish-red hues with a nice foamy lace to top it off.

S - Sweet with a mix of floral aroma's

T - Very much like it smells. Some sweet malt flavors complimented by citrus and floral hops.

M - Full bodied yet remarkably smooth and easy to drink. Leaves your mouth satisfied.

D - Extremely drinkable. Could have a few of these very easily.

01-01-2011 17:07:32 | More by yankiac
juhl31

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

-it's got that newer, undefinitional (yup!) IPA color. auburn/dark gold. smaller white head and takes a bit to see through

-good mix of hops and malt. a bit piney, a bit floral

-big pine hop taste which leads to a pine malt taste as well. some dark caramel melts into the back as well

-pretty thick for an IPA. the carbonation gets a bit bitey towards the end

-i have always enjoyed this beer. i like the pinier style hops a good amount. a nice change of pace IPA. would and have bought repeat 6ers before which says something

01-01-2011 01:56:59 | More by juhl31
rembrant

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Look is gold amber with a generous head that's creamy colored and this does a good lace.
Aromas feature a herb resin whole cone hop scent and some citrus. Good and rather inviting
Flavors are not quite the hop array of it's big brothers,Hop Wallop and Yakima Twilight . This has a soft caramel supporting a hop side that has some citrus-grapefruit,a sort of english oak,and a bit of pine resin. Finishes rather dry with a lingering multi-hop aftertaste. There is less of that " dank buds" to this hop profile than in Yakima Twilight,though there's a resinous pine thing.

Mouth...The light toast caramel malts can't subdue the hop devil,but we don't ask for that. Instead they provide a sense of substance so the zingy hop show never gets watery. Just right carbonation and a fine lingering finish make for a brew that's drinkable in general and a joy on a hot day. Has just enough balance and restraint to keep a whole beer nature.

---catching up posting reviews I'd written...

12-30-2010 22:21:28 | More by rembrant
LacquerHead

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

It had a floral hops smell mixed with something citrus. The aroma was a tad bit weak to me. It didn't have that commanding hops aroma I was expecting.

Nonetheless, the taste was very satisfying. It had a floral hops taste. I couldn't point to anything specific as far as the hops goes. It was like a blend of citrus, pine, & flowery hops. There was a dryness to the flavors. It also had a smooth taste, possibly from the malts.

M/F: dryness with a fizzy carbonation. Very smooth on the palate

D: very drinkable. To me it had a soft dry taste that made me want to keep drinking.

Conclusion: I would buy this again. I didn't think this was as hop intensive as other AIPA's I've had, but still it think it could satisfy someone with a hops craving. In the widely available craft beer category, I would say this is a solid purchase.

12-29-2010 20:01:49 | More by LacquerHead
SHODriver

Louisiana

4.68/5  rDev +14.7%

A: gorgeous bronze color with a decent amount of thick white head
S: my nose isn't doing well at the moment but I'm getting a lot of malt smell from it. Very sweet and misleading. The smell burns a little toward the end so you can tell there's some hoppiness going on.
T: Very good flavor starts off with some caramel sweetness to kick things off which quickly fades to the hoppy side of things with a good transition to some earthy spicy notes. It finishes at the swallow with an oily hop finish that coats the mouth and leaves you wanting more.
M: Good carbonation that may be a little on the heavy side which leads to the mouthfeel being a touch on the thin side but not bad.
D: I really like beers like this so I could see myself drinking a few of them. It certainly won't be hard to finish it off.

Overall: a very good beer for you to get a hop fix. the only bad thing is the oily hop flavor seems to coat a little too well to after a couple sips you can't appreciate all the flavors. Instead of the up front sweetness it just tastes sort of watery until a new wave of hop flavors come roaring in. Still a good beer considering that though.

12-28-2010 05:54:14 | More by SHODriver
Lillenk

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Had on tap at Grill One Eleven.

Appearance is a really nice dark gold color with a very nice white head.

Smell is huge with hops and citrus.

Taste is a blast in the face of hops. Love this beer. Finishes smooth enough to leave you wanting more but with enough of that sting of hops to know you're drinking an IPA.

Mouthfeel is nice but a little big to crush more that 2 or 3.

12-28-2010 02:03:26 | More by Lillenk
roddwolff

Mexico

4.68/5  rDev +14.7%

Taken in july 2010 in a tonic glass victoria. Look: Amber opaque dead color, fat yellow head, excellent lacing. Smell: Blend of earth hops and cookie malts. Taste: Earth, pine, wood, floral and probably spicy hops with scents to ashes and snuff. Mouthfeel: Clean, extra body and very bitter, the bitterness is like a bomb on the palate, creamy body with high carbonation, a victory for the drinker.

12-26-2010 22:58:19 | More by roddwolff
CaptDavyJones

4.55/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured a hazy copper color from a 12 oz bottle with the ABV and 'best-by' date on the label. Thin head that dissipates fairly quickly.
Aroma is a very nice blend of hops with hints of malts and some sweetness (bread/yeast).
Taste is delicious blend of, beautiful hoppy bitterness interlaced with hints of malt. A very smooth, crisp brew; very good mouthfeel with decent lacing along the glass.
All in all, a solid ale from Victory Brewing.

12-26-2010 03:05:59 | More by CaptDavyJones
mjurney

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

Appearance:
Deep amber color, crystal clear. Tons of fine bubbles. Head looks thick. Lacing looks awesome on the glass.

Aroma:
Caramel malts and floral hops, touch of earthy.

Taste & Mouthfeel:
Very malty up front, caramel, hint of nutty. Hop character is present, I get floral-earthy with touch of resin. There some hint of fruitiness from the yeast. Body is pretty creamy.

Finish & Aftertaste:
Floral hop finish, slighty sweet aftertaste.

Overall Impressions:
It's more like an Amber Ale than IPA, otherwise it's pretty good brew.

12-25-2010 01:27:39 | More by mjurney
JMD1970

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Mostly same as other reviews posted. However, the middle and the finish were about the same I thought, nice and smooth. Hoppiness seems to hit you up front in the beginning (just barely) but I think that's moreso of the expectation of extreme hoppiness with a name like HopDevil. The name and the smell will make you think it's a strong Ale, but it's actually not...nice little suprise. A good drink.

Appearance: orange/brown

Smell: Strong, earthy, hoppy

Taste: Smooth, picked up the citrus at the finish

Mouthfeel: perfectly smooth, not what I was expecting at all

Drinkability: Was a little nervous at first, I like strong Ales but the initial bitterness usually gets to me, until I have a few more drinks. I was expecting a strong/heavy/hoppy Ale but was pleasantly suprised at how smooth it turned out. I will definitely have another.

12-24-2010 01:03:44 | More by JMD1970
TheKingofWichita

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours an orange red color with a medium sized white head and a fair amount of lacing. Smells of pine and some citrus and some actual hop bitterness. Tastes very well balanced. Citrusy hops up front and they dominate most of the experience. Some malts and some citrus. Mouthfeel is medium with a little carbonation. Fairly easy to drink.

12-19-2010 03:31:11 | More by TheKingofWichita
Pballa4lyfe

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

A- a copper red, very nice, little head

S- hopsss, piney

T- very good, a strong bite at the end, hops and a hint of malt

M- good mouth feel, little carbonation, light on the palete

D- very drinkable

overall, great IPA, i would buy this again...it was smooth and a delicious beer, no complaints

12-18-2010 22:24:23 | More by Pballa4lyfe
eporter66

3.48/5  rDev -14.7%

12oz bottle into a pint glass

A - Hazy copper with good head retention and lacing from top to bottom

S - The sweet malt aroma comes through rather than the more citrus smell I am used to from the hoppier beers I have tried

T - A sharp bitter bite to this beer, yet again I find the malt presence a bit to upfront for my taste. I prefer more of a citrus sweetness to my IPA, which this has, but it does not jump out at you - this has a more malt based flavor, even a bready taste, but the hop bite is their sticking to the taste buds. The fruit flavor seems to come out later, as an aftertaste.

M - This is a creamy reach mouthfeel, not watery at all.

D - Good flavor - and good for two or three beers to sit back and relax.

D

12-17-2010 23:29:26 | More by eporter66
nkersten

3.53/5  rDev -13.5%

Served on tap while waiting for my plane at the Philly airport. Served in an imperial pilsner glass, a dark amber orange color with a foamy white one finger head that fades to a collar with good lacing. Smell is not as hoppy as I would have imagined. Some pine, lots of malt body but not too sweet. Taste is earthy and spicy hops, some pine, malt flavor is subdued, finish is very bitter. Maybe this is an old keg but I would like to see a little more hop flavor. Medium bodied with a bit too high medium carbonation, finish is pretty clean. An ok beer, but not my favorite IPA by any means.

12-16-2010 21:45:46 | More by nkersten
PicoPapa

Connecticut

3.83/5  rDev -6.1%

12oz bottle. Enjoy by Date of Jan 4 2011. Pours a murky amber color with virtually no head. Some lacing. Sweet aroma of piney hops. Flavor is just like the aroma. Piney hops but not as sweet as I thought it would be. Slight bitter aftertaste. A bit thin of a mouthfeel but certainly a drinkable IPA. Pretty good.

12-15-2010 05:28:00 | More by PicoPapa
grittybrews

Washington

4.08/5  rDev 0%

Pours a ruddy orange-amber with just a trace of red. Around a finger of white head that quickly receded to a patchy film. Sweet caramel malt aroma with plenty of citrus hops and a hint of pine.

Moderate carbonation and a fairly chewy, resinous mouthfeel. Some mild grapefruit and orange zest up front followed by a mellow biscuity caramel backbone. Fairly bitter finish with hints of spice and lots of pine.

Nicely hoppy and not overly sweet, although the pine on the finish has a slight astringency that gives an overall impression of detergent at times. However, it's not enough to keep this brew from being quite drinkable, if not exceptional.

12-14-2010 05:40:24 | More by grittybrews
BeerisfoodLLC

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass:

A - amber golden color, light head with good lacing.

S - strong malty scents and equally strong hoppy scents.

T - Interesting mix of tastes, typical bitter hops tastes mixed with strong nutty malty flavours as well.

M - Medium to heavy bodied, lower carbonation.

D - Excellent beer, not very sessionable though.

12-14-2010 01:16:23 | More by BeerisfoodLLC
joelbb14

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

This is a very interesting beer to me. It is certainly not one of my favorites, but still a very quality beer from an objective point of view. I bought it hoping to find something like an IPA but alas it was much maltier than I had expected. Still good though, definitely has a broad array of flavors.

Appearance. Clear and very orange, head is extremely light and goes away within one minute. Leaves no lacing worth mention.

Smell. Certainly malty, but not a "hoppy" as I expected from a beer called "HopDevil." It smells fairly sweet as well, and I would say it is also pretty roasty.

Taste. It actually tastes almost exactly as it smells. Roasty, malty, and unfortunately for me, lacking in Hops. It is slightly bitter, but that is not the main flavor that comes through. The first thing I taste is the maltyness which is then overtaken by a citrusy sweetness (alcohol content possibly) and finally a little hops at the end. Not bad, not great though.

Mouthfeel. Mouthfeel is close to perfect, not super carbonated but very fitting for the style.

Drinkability. The drinkability has taken a hit because of how malty and roasty it is. I really can't see myself drinking more than one per sitting.

Although this is a good beer, I am, shall I say, disappointed. This is like getting the wrong salad dressing. Say for example I like Italian and Tomato Vinaigrette. I ask for Italian and expect Italian but instead I get the Tomato Vinaigrette. It's a flavor I don't expect which makes it strange and a little disappointing. I expected this to be super hopsy but it wasn't. I like the beer but it is not what I had expected.

Note After Review - I just looked at the date, it is past its "drink by" date. I do not know if this contributed to my dissatisfaction, but I will keep an eye out and edit this review if my opinion changes.

12-13-2010 23:51:07 | More by joelbb14
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

12oz Bottle

Appearance - The beer pours a slightly hazy amber/orange colour with a very large frothy beige coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation visible and there is some very nice lacing running in stages down the sides of the glass. The head lasted for several minutes before it began to dissipate.

Smell - hops, caramel, citrus zest, a nuttiness, malts

Taste & Mouth - The beer is perfectly carbonated and it feels very smooth and creamy on the tongue. It has a sweet malt taste with lots of hops and caramel. There is also lots of citrus taste and some notes of pine. I'm also picking up on some fruit esters. It finishes with a sugary sweet then bitter hop aftertaste that you can feel in your cheeks even after a few seconds have passed.

Drink - A good that I'll be happy to have again. The alcohol is extremely well hidden and this is a highly drinkable beer. It's really tasty and worth seeking out.

12-13-2010 23:42:50 | More by spinrsx
Beertinez

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a cloudy copper with a thin, white head.

Aroma is malty. Citrusy. I'm not getting a lot hops.

Taste is a pleasant malty-ness. Grapefruit and orange peel in the middle. A little peach. Finishes with a nice hop kick. Notes of citrus.

Slightly creamy. Drinkabilitiy can be a little better. (Due to the creaminess and the ABV being in the "middle" range.)

Overall, this brew is worthy of a try but I wouldn't go above and beyond to acquire it. With a name like "Hop Devil," I expected something with more hops. Hop Devil is more of a malty IPA. The only other IPA (Well, its a double IPA) I had from Victory was the "Hop Wallop" and that brew was great, IMO. I was kind of holding this to that first impression I had of Victory.

12-13-2010 08:19:18 | More by Beertinez