Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

12 ounce bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Beautiful copper color, slightly hazy. One finger of off-white head with decent retention and little lacing.

S - Great hop in the nose and some malt aroma as well.

T - This IPA caught me off guard. I was expecting more of a maltier brew due to the aroma, and there is definitely a toasted malt flavor however the spicy hops dominate. Balanced? Not exactly. Do I care, no, because I like hop forward IPA's. So, tastes great!

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - Highly drinkable, ABV is a bit high for me to make a night of this without getting housed, however I would easily enjoy a couple of these at a go.

BetterDarker, Feb 24, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -11%

12 ounce bottle with best before date on label poured into the Square One pint glass.

The HopDevil pours a copper color with a quick dissolving 2 finger off white head that leaves some lacing on the glass. Nose is pretty subtle with sweet hints of citrus fruits including grapefruit and a hoppy finish rounds her out. Palate has some caramel and malts in it along with the piny IPA and hoppy finish. A mediocre tasting IPA at best. Mouthfeel is fairly thin with solid carbonation. Drinkability is mostly due to the style as this one does not shine compared to others. In contrast though, the ABV that this has does make it much more drinkable than some IPA's.

abrand, Feb 24, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a crystal-clear golden orange, with tons of frothy, off-white head that lingers. Tons of lacing. Beautiful looking beer.

Smell: Grassy and mild citrus hops, with a fairly noticeable sweet and bready malt backbone. Hops were not as prevalent as I expected, nor as harsh.

Taste: Surprisingly balanced. The grassy and mild citrus hops are up front, but their bitterness is cut by the malt. There's a mild bitterness in the finish, but nothing major. I'm missing the usual hop 'bite' that I usually get in IPAs. When I first tried this, I thought immediately of SNPA - which is not necessarily a bad thing, but to me, this is more of an American Pale Ale than an IPA. It's an enjoyable beer, but IMO, not the best IPA. The overall flavor is a little watery.

Mouthfeel: Thin, but good carbonation.

Drinkability: It's a good beer, and one I wouldn't mine having several of...if the ABV was lower. It doesn't taste like an IPA, just a regular APA, but has the ABV of an IPA. It's not a bad beer...but not what I would go for if I want an IPA.

StarlightSeraph, Feb 22, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

A-Had a goblet of this on tap at the Muddy Pig, in St. Paul, Minnesota. Served with a nice two inch creamy head and a bronze color.

S-Nice pine and citrus scent, hops really coming through, living up to its name.

T-Very refreshing ale, citrus, grapefruit maybe, fairly sweet.

MF- A lot of carbonation up front and nice dry finish.

D- I am really liking these hopped up beers, even with the higher abv of HopDevil, I could sit and drink a few of these in a row.

Fitzgerald, Feb 21, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

A: Pours a hazy amber color with a 1.5 finger tan colored head. Head retention seemed weak which was surprising with only a small bit of lacing down the glass

S: Smells malty and sweet with a bit of hops at the end. I was expecting more hops upfront.

T: Taste is much like it smells. Sweet malt and a bit of honey with some piney hops. I perfer a more citrus character to IPAs, but this is a nice balance.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation and a smooth finish.

D: Good drinkability but I still prefer a more citrus hop dominated IPA.

Jeebs, Feb 20, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

pours an autumn red with a nice head that hangs. good amount of carbonation

smells of floral scents, hops & pine resin

first taste to hit the palate is orange peel & grapefruit and then you are hit with a malty caramel note. really like it. finishes with a nice bitter aftertaste you expect from a good IPA.

light to medium body with good carbonation

this beer has the reputation of not producing the hops as expected but I think that is due to the malts that comes through. this beer puts a "devilish" grin on my face. will be a regular in my beer fridge

haddon, Feb 19, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

A-golden copper colored beer with lots of small particles floating around giving it the appearance of cloudy. The head is off white, thick, decent retention, and leaves a nice lacing.

S-lightly toasted malt, grainy, and pale malts kick off the nose. Hops come in next bringing apricot and honey

T-very grainy and lots of pale malts, light floral esters and a touch of apricot and honey, finish brings a lot of bitterness

M-good body, lighter end of medium, very smooth and a little syrupy. Coats the throat a little bit; but not overtly.

D-3.5 not super easy drinking with all the bitterness and lacks the big tropical fruit hop presence or pine, mainly malt and bitter.

cpetrone84, Feb 19, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -25.2%

A- light lacing that sits on top like lily pads? Nice amber/golden color, slightly cloudy with no carbonation

S - sweet malt smell with a little hop smell

T - hops with a well balanced malt flavor, thinking they used a roasted sweet malt, was thinking there would be more of a citrusy hop, buy more of a bitter hop

M - little bit chewier than what I like, but not rough

D - probably will only have one of these, bit to chewy for me

tubdog13, Feb 16, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Slightly hazy deep copper pour with nice fluffy head and decent lacing. Huge hoppy floral nose with hints of citrus, candy and a subtle earthiness. Decent malt backbone for such a hop monster. Over the top bitterness hits you immediately. Very complex taste with tea, pine, candy, grapefruit and a nice earthy backbone. Great crisp, dry bitter bite on the finish with just a touch of sweetness to balance it out. Highly drinkable if you're a hophead like me. This is just one more example of why Victory is one of my favorite breweries.

beerdrifter, Feb 15, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

A-Thick, perfect head with brilliant orange color

S- Fresh flowery inviting aroma - smells like fresh hops rubbed between your fingers

T - Flowery, sweet malty with slight citrus exoloding into a slightly bitter hop blast finish, absolutely fantastic well structured IPA

M - Very carbonated, but not overly so - medium on the palate

D - Very drinkable for an IPA especially for a cold weather brew - not a session beer, but one definately calls for several more

sgharris, Feb 13, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

pours a true light brown with a slightly off white head. the smell is a kind of citrus funk that smells inviting yet not at the same time. definitly an east coast style here, thicker tasting if that makes sense. good backbone and smooth finish. nice beer, i kind of prefer my ipa's a little more juiced but this is definitly far from horrible.

scarletfire79, Feb 12, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Rare midweek review for me, but I was in the mood for a good IPA. Picked up a single at Whole Foods and here I am. 12 oz bottle, "enjoy by Mar 20 2010" on the bottle.

As seems to be typical of Victory beers, this is an attractive pour into my imperial pint glass - reddish gold color, very good foam retention with a little lace.

Has an aroma of funnel cake and Pine-Sol.

Very astringent soapy/piney hops here. Thick malt backbone lets you know this is an East Coast IPA, but it's an aggressive East-coaster. I prefer more citrus/tropical fruit hop character in IPAs over the soapy-piney thing, but a personal preference aside, this is a strong effort.

Has a moderately oily feel, goes down easily.

Not my all-time favorite, but certainly drinkable and enjoyable enough. I like Wild Devil better, but then again, I would ;)

Patrick999, Feb 12, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

1 finger creamy head, retains nice and not too much action happening. Very nice. After a while a good ring with some large bubbles and nice creamy thin overing top. Deep red honey in color.

Delicious. Intoxicating sweet hops with sweet caramel malts. Smells awesome. Some what piney and malty and refreshing. Super sweet and I could probably smell this all day.

This is a delicious sweet hop nectar with a caramel malt sweetness. Just absolutly amazing. Well maybe not AMAZING! but really an awesome tasting hoppy caramel candy. I see this beer all the time, but Ive never picked it up until now. Glad I did and I will grab this next time Im having hop withdrawls.

Smooth creamy mouthfeel, with a nice lasting hop bite. A sweet caramel dry finish. I will buy again.

As soon as I popped the cap and took a smell I knew I was in love.

MOB210SA, Feb 11, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Apearance - Pours a clear copper with a huge three finger head that lasts quite some time and leaves solid lacing.

Nose- Citrus hops accompanied by a vague fruitiness, spiciness and a touch of caramel malt.

Palate- Spicy citrus hops overpower toasted and caramel malt and a touch of honey.

Mouthfeel- Medium body and carbonation, smooth.

Drinkability- Very easy drinking.

wknight167, Feb 11, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +11.5%

First time reviewing in a bar. Not sure how this will go.

Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass. Let it breathe a bit.

A - Seems to be a light brown/amber color, but appears to be a hazy light golden color when lighted. Starts w/ dense light-peach colored head, and this slowly fades to nothingness.

S - Dominated by floral hops and ruby grapefruit. Very appealing to me. I think I get a pale malt, and the slightest bit of caramel. A slight wheat bread smell, that my mind interpreted as papery at first (not in a skunked way, a positive way). I might be imagining this, but I also smell lemon.

T - Few words needed here. Floral hops, grapefruit, and a beautiful bitterness. It's so perfectly balanced that I have no words to describe it. It starts w/ grapefruit, then adds floral hops, then finishes w/ a nice bitterness. All three flavors hold together at the end. The crispness and individuality of each taste is what blows my mind.

M - Medium body. A little slickness. Coats the mouth well. Medium carbonation. It just chills in your mouth. It's not a trouble maker.

D - Downs easy if you like hops. If you don't, skip this one. I could drink a few of these before I would want to switch. Not a session beer for everyone.

This is among my favorites. It has simple flavors, that come together perfectly.

BostonTriggs, Feb 11, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Enjoy by: 4/30/10
Drank on: 2/8/10

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass

A= Nice reddish copper color nearly translucent. Begins with a 1/2" head which leaves a high-walled halo.

S= Smooth inviting aroma of heavy malt accompanied by a hoppy spiciness. A slight sweetness and light buttery note finish.

T= Slight cherry start with a nice malty base. Hints of moist tabacco are followed by the hoppiness in the middle which ends with a nice lingering bitterness. Much more malty flavored then some other IPA's. Hop flavors ride a bell curve from start to finish peaking in the middle.

MF= Heavy heady weight on the tongue which also coats the throat. Effervescent in the mouth.

D= better with each sip.

evansrdbrew, Feb 10, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Looks very good. A beautiful amber color with a tall head.

Smells like an IPA. Hops with some murky citrus/grapefruit notes. Slightly sweet.

Tastes like it smells. Hops with some murky citrus/grapefruit notes. Some herbal "spiciness".

Feels slightly foamy/fluffy. Medium bodied but on the lighter side.

A good and easy going IPA.

ProLiquorMan, Feb 10, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

This is a steady favorite, one of five or six I like to have cold in fridge at all times. Pours into pint glass to form beautiful fine-bubbled foam that crashes fast but leaves lace.

Not as hazy as you'd expect from such a hoppy brew; wonder if they filter it?

Smell every kind of hop you could imagine, as well as mighty fierce ethanol. You might wonder if hops could possibly smell any better. I grow them in backyard garden; IPA like this is where hops belong.

Taste could maybe use a bit darker malt roast, as hops are so potent it's hard to taste anything else. But I really love it anyway.

Mouthfeel is greasy with hop resins, yay! Hop bitter aftertaste and really volatile floral hopblossom back up your nose when you hang onto your glass wondering if you want another swallow yet makes this a have your ale and swallow it too sort of gift to mankind.

Drinkability is limited by what feels like more alcohol than the supposed 6.7%. Maybe the huge hoppiness makes you imagine this brew will get you drunk too fast? Also it's a bit pricey for my budget, so no more than one a day, please.

jameswaldo, Feb 05, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

A - 12 oz bottle poured into nonic pint glass. The beer has a hazy copper color with a thick off-white head that clings viciously to the glass as it recedes to a nice layer of suds sitting on top of the beer. As the beer goes down it continues to cling to the glass.

S - Piney grapefruit hop smells dominate the nose with sweet malt mixed in, although the hops are the most prominent smell.

T - Citrus hops dominate this beer entirely. There is malt sweetness mixed in there somewhere, but the hop flavors overpower... in a good way. The hops linger on the taste bud long after the beer is gone. In that sense it's not entirely balanced, but is instead a tasty hop bomb.

M - Creamy smooth across the tongue with tingly carbonation.

D- Highly palatable IPA as I'm someone who loves heavy citrusy hoppy beers. Very refreshing, but the ABV keeps this from being highly sessionable.

Overall - I can't find one thing that I do not like about this beer. It tastes very similar to the Stone IPA and Smuttynose "Finest Kind" IPA and is definitely now, along with those two, one of my favorite American IPAs. Unbalanced when considering the style, but personally I love the dominant flavors.

Sam21, Feb 02, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

wow. The lip-smacking tropical fruit notes dominate this beautifully aggressive, rich East Coast IPA.
pours a light, bright coppery-orange from a fresh 12oz. bottle.
Apples, pineapple, and mango on the sweet, inviting nose.
On the tongue the tropical fruit just explodes!
Tons of guava upfront, followed by mango, papaya and eventually ruby-red grapefruit as the HopDevil works his finishing magic and reminds you that he indeed hails from the earth of Pennslyvania.
With quite a pleasant pucker the tropical attack finishes dry and earthy and the Hop Devil goes down smooth.
Hell of a delightful, persistant finish, as the hops and fruits play around the mouth for minutes after sips!
Maybe too highly sessionable.
Great East Coast IPA.

DCDevilDancer, Feb 01, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -6.1%

Live review. Poured from the 12 oz. bottle that I bought as a single at Save-On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor, Ohio a few weeks ago for $1.49 into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass. No "best by" date observed by me.

A Great looking very light brown creamy head that stayed around for 5 minutes or more and leaves significant lacing on the inside of the glass. Body is a nice medium caramel with plenty of carbonation rising up and some interesting sediment floating about as well. Very good look. 4.5

S Floral hops abound. I am not great at identifying the different kinds of hops but I do believe that I smell many types of hops, some bitter, some earthy and even a sweetness buried deeply behind the hops. Complex, interesting. 4.0

T A huge, complex taste of both grapefruit bitter but also earthy, leafy hops over a reasonably good malt background make for a good tasting beer. The qualities of this beer changes as it warms so I would encourage anyone reading this to allow it to warm a bit and compare the taste with a cold version. 4.0

M As far the feel, again this is a huge beer with a "rough" kind of feel with the tart, sometimes "harsh" hops, big medium roast malt and elevated ABV. 4.0

D Not real good for me because of the bigness of the beer, the ABV. I did not have a problem finishing the 12 ounces though. 3.0

Notes: Hop lovers should certainly seek this one out. I found it to be a nicely balanced Hop Bomb.

adamette, Feb 01, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

A - Pours a deep copper with a two finger off-white head that has excellent retention. Nice amount of lacing that clings to the sides of the glass.

S - Smells of strong citrus hops, as it should.

T - Taste is surprising, simply because it's not as bitter as expected. The citrusy hops are in full force, but there's a strong malt backbone to really smooth it out. A hoppy beer to be sure, but tastes very well balanced.

M - Smooth. Real smooth.

D - Excellent. Great, bold flavor plus a smooth mouthfeel makes me want another before I'm even done with the first one.

Notes: I must be turning into more of a hop head than I thought, because I'm enjoying this IPA more than I thought I would enjoy any hoppy brew.

BatDaddy, Feb 01, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance: Copper body, 2 finger head, medicore lacing.

Smell: Spicy citrus and pine hops.

Taste: Yup. There's hops in this one. Tons of 'em. Spicy! Almost makes my nose run everytime I take a sip. Delicious!

Drinkability: With the average ABV for the style this one is very drinkable. Your taste buds might not like it afterwards though.

travduke, Jan 31, 2010
4.08/5  rDev 0%

HopDevil ale

Seen it around a while decide to pick up a sixer...

classic copper color this head, leaves some lacing etc,
smells pine citrus hops but smell screw it lets get to the flavor

bitter spicey hops and a good amount too. Really reminds me of NG hop hearty with more spice and hop bite. So tis a good thing for me.

Overall some pretty good some. But with so many firken' good IPA's out there, it's always a dilemma which to chose. This is a good candidate!

minnunderground, Jan 31, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottle poured into a pint glass

A- Great copper color with a two finger head, medium amount of lacing.

S- strong malt with a hint of mellowed hops.

T-Carmel malt taste lingers with a nice hop finish that I was not expecting from the smell.

M- medium body with good carbonation.

D- Good session beer, that is worth another purchase.

Lukecook, Jan 27, 2010