Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Have had this IPA from both a bottle and a growler, since one of my friends lives right near the brewery in Downingtown, PA. This review was written during/after several glasses that I poured out of growler transported from Downingtown to State College, PA.

Lacy head, pours one to two fingers out of the growler - a bit more if you mistakenly pour too fast.

Orange amber color is nice, although I prefer unfiltered offerings and this one seems to be partially filtered.

Fruity/citrous overtones are present, in addition to the ever present hop scent, which makes this one of the better smelling beers that I consume on a regular basis.

Nice hoppy taste, but not overpowering, as in some IPA's or DIPA's. The citrous comes through only vaguely during consumption. This is clearly not a fruity wheat beer with hops added as an afterthought.

The aftertaste of this beer is most pleasing to my palate. It's not an overpowering hop flavor, but the hops are clearly evident long after you've put the glass down!

I could drink many glasses of this without batting an eye. I can't say that for a lot of other IPA's that I've tried. For an East Coast person that has limited access to West Coast IPA's, which are more numerous and generally higher in caliber, this beer is a winner. It ranks up there with Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA as my favorite "local" IPA. I also recommend Troegs Hopback Amber Ale.

4.68/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured into a Fuller's Glass.

Thin Lace, head sticks around for a few years.

Lovely color - orangeish amber.

smells like piney mountain orange trees.

Tastes like the name - hops, hops and citrusy goodness, with just enough malt backbone to help it along.

Aftertaste/mouthfeel are excellent - they stick around for a while and leaves a tingly tangly feeling on the tongue that is basically heaven.

One of my favorite IPA's, right along with DFH 90 and Green Flash!

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

Growler purchase at halftime. Pours a burnt oragne color onto my Ommegang glass. Nice 2 finger creamy head, little to no lacing.

Smells of bitter citrus.

Taste starts off sweet and citrusy but is quickly followed by hop bitterness.

Carbonation is good with medium body.

This is a bit to bitter for myself. I prefer a little more sweetness balanced with hops. If you like hops then this beer id for you.

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

12oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams glass. Pours with a nice head that is maintained at ~1/8" throughout the drink with a sanded golden appearance. The aroma has notes of grapefruit and pineapple from the hopps and really pulled me in. It's obvious a generous helping of hops are in this brew. I could smell this beer and Dogfish Head's 90 min IPA all day long. It just makes my mouth water.

The first thing that hits you upon the taste is the hop citrusy sweetness...almost overwhelming pineapple and grapefruit tartness. The finish is slightly dry with hop bitterness at the end. You have to be a hop head (which I defiantly am) to enjoy this beer. If you prefer sweeter European brews then you won't be as enthralled with this beer. Either this beer and DFH 90 IPA is always in my frige...they're neck and neck to me.

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

Actually found this at a local QFC here.. what a selection oh my! 12 oz. bottle, w/ an Enjoy by date of Jun 02 09. Poured into a tumbler at a 45 deg. angle.

- Very amber/copper-like color... foamy white head.. sticks around awhile! Clearish with some bubbly.

- Could smell the hops from a few feet away. Up close scent is bitter, floral, and pine. Some good caramel malt character there as well.

- Smooth malt backbone, very caramel and smooth.. creamy almost. Bright hop flare.. more of a bitter 'yowser' type of hop. Bit of a citrus zinger w/ a tad sour flare as well.

- Dry, bitter, sour... not so chewy..

- Easy to drink.. just might be a bit bitter and sour for some, but an overall drinkable ale.. great upfront balance.. malt fades.. leaves huge hop bite. Overall not too bad. Would buy others before this though.

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Served in a tulip from a bomber.

A: Nice amber color. I got about a finger of head with minimal lacing. Light foam with gentle carbination.

S: The nose is of honey and very faint flowers. Very light spice. Different from most IPA's I've had.

T: Quite smooth for an IPA. There is a hoppy bite but it is well balanced with some malt sweetness.

M: Light carbonation with a light to medium body. It has a dry finish.

D: I really like this. I find that I could really have more than one. It has a great balance of taste versus ABV.

Overall: Great beer! I'm a huge IPA fan but have never had this one. I will be adding this to my permanent rotation. Check it out!

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

Right off the bat, this beer, my first taste from Victory, completely took me by surprise. I expected another, basic, drinkable-but nothing special IPA that I could start my night with. Instead I found one of the better beers I have had at home in a while. I had been working at home all day and finally got to sit down to watch the second Final Four game in my chair and this stepped up to meet me.

Poured into a basic pint glass (actually an Oscar Blue's Gordon glass...) pours a nice, warm, rich, curious amber in color. This beer looked immediately delicious. It was virtually headless, just some slight lacing. Its head dissipated almost completely about 1/4 into this beer.

HopDevil's smell is enticing, and again surprisingly sweet.

This beer's taste is what caught me completely off guard. It was sweet, rich and buttery at the top. This beer hit my mouth and immediately made me sit up and give it the attention it deserves. The ending hopfeel was amazing. I am hop crazy right now (have been since last summer) and I found this to be one of the most balanced hop beers I have had in a while.

This IPA did not murder your mouth like some hop-fabulous beers do. While I appreciate those that do, but for this evening, this beer was the perfect beginning to my session. started me off strong, got my mouth ready for beer for the rest of the evening.

This is a very very drinkable IPA. I threw this into a mixed6 I got from Lucas. I regret that. I would have sat all night and enjoyed this beer that surprised me with its personality, balance and drinkability. This will definitely become one of my staples for session-type IPAs.

Completely recommend this beer. I will be chasing down a sixpack of this very soon.

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

Beer pours an amber color with a 1 finger head that fades quickly, some lacing present in glass. Upfront smell is of mild hops and slight malt. Taste of hops is good and is preceeded by slight malt taste, balanced but leaning more to the hop side, which is not a bad thing.

A good brew but not outstading. Hops do not flow together with the sweeter malt the is present as one might expect from a IPA with it's color and malt profile and tend to be more on the harsh end.

3.08/5  rDev -24.5%

I had this in bottles a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed. I figured I'd try it again while available on tap.

It's a bit dark in color for an IPA but I like it. The aroma is all business, nothing but hops. The taste is bitter but not an enjoyable bitter. A resiny, sharp, dirty, bitter. The Hop prescence is pronounced throughout the beer but I don't like it nearly as much as most IPA's. I love IPA's but this is downright funky. Their bittering hops must be high in the AA department, wow.

It's okay but I won't be ordering it again. There are much better options available.

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours a dark opaque amber into a Corsendonk goblet with a minimal head. An attractive brew.

Smell is subdued and primarily hops, but not as overpowering as some American IPA's.

Taste is very nice and a little surprising given the smell. It's hoppy and more hoppy and very dry. I just love it. It's right in my wheelhouse.

Mouthfeel is clean and dry - just what I'm looking for in an IPA.

Drinkability for me is fine.

An outstanding offering from Victory and one I can't think how I've overlooked. I'll certainly be back for more.

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. Expiration date on the bottle of June 02 09.

Small light tan head and a dark orange body. Malty sweetness and grapefruit in the aroma. Whole mess of pine in the taste. More bitterness and pine flavors than I expected it to have. Really good though.

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

On tap, this beer poured a dark orange color with a nice 1 finger head. There was plenty of lacing. It had an aroma of hops, pine, citrus, and malts. I found that the taste matched the smell. The hops were not overpowering. They actually complemented the malts very nicely. The carbonation was very nice as well. This was a good beer but I felt that it was lacking something. I would seek it out again on tap as it is a great session beer.

3.53/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: A nice orange-brown color, like apple cider. Good bit of off white head on top.

S: Hops.. A little bitof malt, and something a little sweet...

T: A little sweet to start, then the hops kick in.. thick and heavy... leaves a big aftertaste..

M: Maybe just a bit too carbonated for me..

D: Not one I am going to buy again. I have never been a fan of IPA's but I am always up for trying something new, and lately the 60 min and 90 min IPA's have been turning my head, so I figured I'd go for this one.. Just doesn't have the balance that I want..

Pours nice orange color, heavy carbonation at first but little head retention, perhaps due to refrigerator set too cold. Chill haze. Nice hop aroma.

Tastes spicy, with a little bit of lemony fruitiness. Nice hop bite, but not overbearing. Moutfeel is very crisp, dry. Very drinkable, nice abv% for the style.

Not the best IPA I've ever had, but a pretty damn good rendition.

3.45/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

While I'm not a huge IPA fan, I really tried to judge this on the style, but just thought it was unbalanced and just an overload of hop bite

A: Transparent orange/amber with 3/4 inch of slightly off white head

S: hops, maybe a bit of citrus but just overpowered

T: just overpowering hops

M: Medium bodied, medium carbonation, nothing bad, nothing great

D: Hard to put a whole 12oz down. If you are a serious hop-head, go for it, I just just found the bitterness far too dominating to enjoy

D

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a Unibroue tulip glass, just because. Color is a lighter shade of amber. Head is about an inch thick and hangs around for a while, as does the lacing. Smells balanced between hops and malt. Noticable floral and citrus aromas. Tastes really good. Hoppy like an IPA should be. A definite citrus taste to it (grapefruit). A nice pine taste as well. Not a real strong hoppy bite, but plenty of hops in there. A nice bitterness rounds out the taste. Medium mouthfeel. A bit fizzy. A bit sticky. Leaves my teeth chomping for more. Goes down nice and easy. A very drinkable beer and quite enjoyable.

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Out of a bottle this beer was an orange-amber color with good clarity. The head was beige, rather small and didn't display very good retention and only spotty lacing. The aroma was excellent for the style, lots of herbal and citrus hops with a pale malt backbone. The flavors were at first notably bitter, with lots of orange rind and grapefruit notes, but behind that lurked the flavors of other hops clearly reflecting the multiple additions used. As it warmed I tasted more of the doughy malt along with some crystal malt and the herbal elements of hops that came through. Acidic and a little biting; great for hop heads. The body was medium, the carbonation very good and the mouthfeel soft and just a little oily. Distinctly bitter but sessionable and a good All-American example.

3.1/5  rDev -24%

On-tap at Ed's (No Name) Bar

A: Pours a copper body with a one-finger slightly off-white head. The head has decent retention but only lacing from the head initial dissipation.

S: Smells very strong of hops with grapefruit peel and some caramel malt character.

T: Wow, very heavy on the hops. There's a strong hop character that gives way to a small amount of malty caramel which turns again into a sharp grapefruit peel finish with a bitter sting. It's not that I dislike a hoppy IPA, I actually usually love some of the unbalanced ones. For the Hopdevil it was just the flavor of the hops that I dislikeed.

Overall: Good mouthfeel, well carbonated with a bit of oiliness. Drinkability is a bit down for me due to the overwhelming unpleasant hop flavor which I personally found to be unappealing.

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

A = Nice copper amber, no head and no lacing.

S = Beautiful honey, floral, citrus, and malt medley that harmonizes perfectly.

T = Taste nearly mirrors the smell, only not quite as impressively, but outstanding nonetheless. Love the balance between the sweet malty beginning and the pine/citrus hops that slowly blossom through the middle and end.

M = Nice medium mouth with ample carbonation and not overwhelmingly lingering bitterness.

D = I find this very drinkable, both in its taste and mouth profile as well as its ABV.

Overall not a huge fan of the whacked out mega-hop beer craze, so I came in skeptical. However, I really enjoyed this beer. It seems the hops were added to a level that enhances the beer, not just to claim a high IBU to keep up with the Joneses. Well done brew!

Poured the bottle into a Victory pint glass.

The beer pours a nice copper appearance with an off white head. The head fades after as you drink it but the lacing is nice and a tiny bit of head remains.

The smell is of hops an almost a citrus backbone - some floral.

The beer tastes very hoppy, but very balanced - I'm not a huge "hop head" but this beer is a good bang for your buck in the hops department. Detect some bitter floral flavoring. The beer almost sizzles the palate.

This beer is very drinkable, I am not a huge "hop head" as I stated before, but I could enjoy a few of these in a mixed case. I am not sure I would buy an entire case of it though. But for me I am not that into hoppy beers - they tend to have me burping all night.

I paired this beer with some chicken quesadillas, went great with the meal.

I enjoy Victory's beers, and this is yet another great brew.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

A- Copper, orange and deep amber

S- Hoppy aroma that is floral, piney and citrusy. Mixed with a carmel and slight toffy smells.

T- Piney hops dominate the taste. With a mild bitterness that is balanced well with the malts. At the end a carmel and bitterness carry to the aftertaste.

M- Medium to thin body with a nice carbonation.

D- Pretty drinkable.

4.78/5  rDev +17.2%

pours vigorous, laces insanely...clear amber with a head that settles to a think veneer after 5 minutes or so.

super floral punch in the nose...like being horsewhipped with a garland of hops and blackeyed susans...! there is ALOT going on here. herbal twangs of...LEMONGRASS? i thought there was something Thai going on here...surprised i got that sense and recognized it so quickly. i feel like i am about to eat some Tom Gha.

(another later smell reveals, pleasantly, something like the smell when you go into a bicycle store...new rubber tires?)

hoppy, bitter, slight malty flavor that isn't quite as complex as the nose (initially), but this is supreme stuff for sure. very well balanced, the maltiness finally asserts as it fades on the sides of the tongue. i would actually expect and like this to be creamier...chewier...yet, for it's crispness, it becomes that more drinkable...5.0 for most hopsters i imagine, but still, for all it's 'thinness' and moderately higher ABV, this isn't quite a session brew. it's got too much character to want to be slammed without being appreciated on a nice cool spring or fall day...

and yes, LEMONGRASS!

also, creaminess not noted earlier came forward as it warmed.

an A+ beer for sure

In a US pint glass.

Coppery clear amber, pale copper head.

Smells fruity, floral. Sweet malt, slight caramel, bread. Malt gets bigger as it warms.

Pretty tasty malt, nice floral/piney hops. Pretty bitter. Hops also a bit spicy. Maltier as it warms.

Medium body, good carbonation.

Drinkability is pretty good. I remember liking this more, and I know this bottle got hot for a couple hours in my car, and that could have messed it up. So I'll rereview it if I like it better next time.

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

She pours a nice light copper with a smallish head that dissipates to a little ring rather quickly.
The smell is nice and hoppy, pine and citrus like a good little a ipa should be. There is a little malty backbone for the lupulus to lean on.
The taste follows suit, with hops strong in the front, leading the way for a bit of malty alcohol finish. Very nice and well balanced.
The mouthfeel is nice, my only complaint would be a bit overcarbonated. The bitterness is perfect, the body is definitely just right.
The drinkability is very nice, I can toss back quite a few of these without my mouth feeling overwhelmed.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

A- Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. True amber in color with good amount of head.

S - First smell is hops with a sweetness on the background. Very nice

T - Spicy hops that mellow down to a smooth malty taste as it slides down the tongue.

M - Not over carbonated. Smooth balance between the hops and malt flavors. The aftertaste picks up some spice and pine from the hops, but not overwhelming

D - The balance and lightness of this beer make it very very drinkable, not to mention refreshing. I highly recommend this beer, one of the better I have had in a while.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company