Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
kimcgolf

Georgia

4.88/5  rDev +19.6%

In a word...HOPPY! This pours to a dark reddish orange, with medium off-white head that lingers long and leaves very good lacing on the glass. The aroma is immediately strong, grassy hops, and the flavor follows suit perfectly. Mouthfeel is tangy and bitter, and the finish is long and bitter, just perfect. The hops were by far the outstanding feature of this beer, and it is very aptly named.

Got this on a trip to NC, and just wish we could find it here in Atlanta.

An Excellent Beer!!

04-07-2007 15:39:38 | More by kimcgolf
dwarvenspirits

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Not a very thick head when poured. The head has a beige tinge to it. Pours a nice, thick-looking amber/copper color. Smells like . . .citrus, lemon or lime stand out with some piney after notes. Mouthfeel is slightly thick. Big hop flavor, almost consumes this entire beer but there is a malt backbone towards the middle and then finishes a touch dry with the pine flavor lingering. Bitterness suites the style. Overall a damned good drinking beer. It may be a touch too heavy on the body but it's a good beer, just make sure you let it warm up a bit to get all the goodies in there.

04-04-2007 21:12:31 | More by dwarvenspirits
k3n

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

12 oz bottle, no freshness dating.

A: 1" head slowly fades to a thin carpet of bubbles, leaving lots of uneven lace on the glass. Clear amber-red color.

S: Citrus and pine.

T: Citrus and pine at first, caramel and malt in the middle, dry hop bitterness in the end. Great balance.

M: Creamy, then oily, then dry and bittering. Very nice. This beer has a nice 'heft' to it in the mouth, and then it leaves fairly cleanly.

D: oh yea...

04-04-2007 04:02:14 | More by k3n
Tyrawlings

On tap and poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy dark orange in color with copper hues near the edges of the glass. Craggy off white head pours one finger thick. Decent retention. Soft sticky lacing.

S: Citrus juice. Pine resin. Sweet malts. Yeast. Earth.

T: Citrus juice flavor is immediately pushed out of the way by a citrus and pine hop spicey bitter bite. Rich and sweet caramel malts push through to balance things out and are followed by a soft touch of honey and fresh baked bread. Finishes with more spicey hops and sweet malts.

M: Silky smooth. Moderate carbonation. Slightly dry.

D: I have tried this beer straight from the bottle, off the tap and out of a cask and I enjoyed this spicey little hop bomb every single time. Recomended.

04-02-2007 19:52:35 | More by Tyrawlings
isaac

Oregon

12 oz. to pint glass.

pours what looks more like an amber or red than an IPA, but quite pretty, sitting under an off-white head with all sizes of bubbles and some thin lacing down the glass. the nose is somewhat faint, though it has a strong (relatively speaking...) hop muskiness that seems to me to be American Fuggles or Goldings, not exactly what i would associate with "distinctive American Hops," but, yes, they are American. the taste is well balanced between these hops and the noticeably German malts, lending a smooth, European quality that is fine, refreshing, and tasty, but not that complex. body is good, if not a bit overly drying, and of the thin to medium sort. quite an enjoyable beer and drinkable at that! buuuut, not that interesting. solid, but not, shall i say, provoking.

EDIT: what i thought to be Fuggles was, evidently, Tettnang(er) instead. apparently, these two strains are similar, according to the Hopunion Databook.

03-31-2007 02:36:06 | More by isaac
ncvbc

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

Not a bad beer by any means. I've had it from the bottle and enjoyed it so I figured why not try it in a potentially better form. It looks good, much more red in color than the IPA I tried before. Almost looks like a completely different style of beer when you have the two side by side. Good looking creamy head that hangs around for a while. The smell is more malty than hoppy to be honest. I'm wondering where the hops went. Taste is also lacking that crisp hop kick that I've accustomed myself to. They are there but well covered by a malty sweetness. It kinds of seems slightly watered down a little. Not sure what the deal is here. The mouthfeel is nice and creamy and I can get a better sense of the hops. Solid. Pretty drinkable beer in the end. It doesn't stand up to what I drank before it but I can't complain. Well, one complaint. It was a dollar more...which I couldn't come to understand at $4.50. I would have enjoyed the initial hoppy flavored that I got from the bottle but I could have easily enjoyed a few more.

03-30-2007 03:17:55 | More by ncvbc
Redwood21

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Hop heaven. This beer pours a nice redbrown hue the is beautiful. the head is big but short lived with some nice lacing. The aroma is hop overdose, very good. The flavor follows suit with hops and sweetness. I enjoy this alot. The beer has another taste that i cant wuite put my finger on, but is good. there is a slight bitterness both in the fin ish and aftertaste. The body is nice and medium, once again a beer that is more full than limp. I would suggest this beer to anyone who is into the hop flavor.

03-26-2007 09:06:17 | More by Redwood21
JoeyBeerBelly

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

First off let me say welcome Miguel Mandingo, that was a heck of a good review for a 1st timer,...you know a bit about beer, buddy.

I found this beer on the shelf in a grocery store for $8.99 a six pack with "Enjoy by May 20 07" on the label... well, "enjoy" I did!

pours a clear amber, on the brownish side with a beige/earthtone head that leveled off at 1/4 inch and stayed with me the entire pint glass full leaving a tremendous amount of "starry sky" lacing behind.

how can I describe the smell?... If a hop cut a fart, I guess this is what it would smell like?

it taste pretty good, I'd rather pay the buck extra and get a six of Stone IPA, but I didn't feel cheated for buying this beer.

it has a little more carbination (champagne type bubbling) than I expected but went down easy enough without a sting or bitter bite.

I could drink this beer, I won't knock anyone down at the counter to buy it, but I would buy it again to support the brewery (I like some of their other offerings) and 'Regular-Guy America'...

"eff" marcos and corporate a-holes!

03-23-2007 00:53:49 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
MiguelMandingo

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

Hey everyone this is my first review. I thought this would be a good beer to review first since I drink this beer so often. Admittedly, I would have liked to sampled more beers in this style to get a feel for them before reviewing this one in particular, as I do not know if HopDevil is a good representation of an American IPA... oh well.

Let me start by saying that I really like this beer. It is easy for me to drink several of these without thinking twice about it. Definitely my favorite from Victory Ale at this point in time.

Poured from a bottle into my Gingerman pint glass.

Appearance - A mix of bronze/copper/liquid brown sugar in color. White head with a little bit of lacing. The head retention isn't as long I would prefer - but a little swirl of the glass brings it right back.

Smell - Not much smell to speak of, just a touch of hops and some spice I can't really describe.

Taste - A citrus hops bite, a sweet malt middle and the hops comes right back at the end.

Mouthfeel - a medium thickness without being syrupy. Not as carbonated as other beers I have had, which may contribute to how quickly I can drink one of these.

Drinkability - Easy. This is my session beer. And yes, I think I will have another...

03-22-2007 02:55:16 | More by MiguelMandingo
JWFokker

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a bottle, it's a very dark IPA, reddish brown almost like a Doppelbock. The nose is deceivingly mild hops in contrast to the robust mix of hops, caramel and pine on the palate. Mouthfeel is suitable for the variety with a dry finish. If you like IPAs, drinkability is good.

03-22-2007 00:55:37 | More by JWFokker
PittBeerGirl

4.08/5  rDev 0%

A- bronze in color with hints of ruby red. White head that tapers off too 1/2 finger with great retention.Plenty of lacing sticks with the glass the whole way down. Body is very translucent and a yeasty haze can be seen moving around the glass.

S-Citrus (mostly grapefruit) hops dominate the nose with some spicy hops in the background.

T- Initial flavor is somewhat subtle and offers some grapefruity hop flavor and a sound but very subtle caramel malt backing. Refreshing piny hops come through for the finish and the citrus hops intensify. Fruity flavors include lemon and grapefruit. Aftertaste is bittersweet in every sense of the meaning. Medium hop bitterness lingers along with a sweet bready malt, and both piny and citrus hop flavor.

M-great mouthfeel medium body with light carbonation. Body is very smooth and creamy-easy to swallow.

D-This is a great IPA and much more complex than most. HopDevil was my very first IPA (if you read the unedited review you could probably tell) and I really didn't appreciate how good it was then. Its still one of my favorites out there and I am glad it is so readily available in this area. Great job by Victory.

edited on 11-7-07

03-21-2007 03:22:46 | More by PittBeerGirl
mobud

Delaware

3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Nice copper color with a medium head that remained thru the sample. The smell has traces of hops and sweetness, but they are slight and not what you would expect for a beer called HopDevil. The taste was even for my liking. This beer was hoppy before the rise of hopbombs, but now it is middle of the road. Enough resin is there to coat your mouth, but not enough to burn like others. The mouthfeel is thick for my liking, with a malt aftertaste on the back of my throat. This beer remains popular and I will have it again, more on tap than in the bottle.

03-19-2007 18:21:22 | More by mobud
Imstillthegman

Delaware

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

While going through some glasses I found my HopDevil pint and had to get some. It's been a while since I had this...I almost forgot how good it is.

Clear reddish copper color with a nice, frothy, light tan head. Head recedes to a ring and a thin layer of bubbles on the surface. Some soapy looking lacing is left behind.

The smell is a good mixture of sweet, caramel malts and zesty grapefruit hops. Some flowery herbs float in and out, as well.

Zesty, peppery, herbal hop bite leads into the sweeter malt. Bitter hops sting comes back at the finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit soapy. I don't remember that from before. Dry and bitter aftertaste. I can get over the soapiness and a enjoy a couple more of these tonight while I watch my 'Heels in the tourney.

03-18-2007 01:21:10 | More by Imstillthegman
Bierguy5

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Hazy, copper in color. White fluffy head that trickles down to a thin ring rather quickly. Piney, grassy, floral, and herbal hop aroma. Good sturdy caramel malt background, mixed with grassy and herbal hops. Good amount of bitterness, but I was expecting a bit more. Seems just a bit thin. Well balanced, as the malt character is very nice. Easy to drink. Pretty good. A little different hop character than most of the big hop bombs.

03-12-2007 01:47:21 | More by Bierguy5
rarevos

Poured into pint glass. Consumed at just slightly less than room temperature.

A: Pours a light amber with a ton of white, fluffy head. Great retention, sticky trails on the sides as it recedes, and a solid foam blanket left behind.

S: Sweet malt, dry grain, and... cinnamon? There's a spice here.

T/M: Sweet caramel malt up front, leafy hoppiness. Bit of toasted grain. Very long bitter tail, retains some sweetness. Mouthfeel is on the dry side. Would make a great sidekick to pub fare. Overall, nothing really dominates -- everything plays well together.

D: I drank this pretty quickly. And yeah, I'd have another. This wasn't nearly as bitter as I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting an IPA this balanced, either. It filled my Q Zone with pure beer goodness.

03-11-2007 02:16:52 | More by rarevos
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

Bottle courtesy of HogTown Harry- thanks! Pours out a robust tangerine colour witha pretty good head. Quite a cloudy brew, but definitely a solid IPA colour. Aroma is a nice combination of hops and malt sweetness. Very balanced IPA I thought- tons of hops - herbal and piney and grapefruit but also a strong backbone. Finishes dry as it should for an IPA. Carbonation was a little higher than expected, but gives it a good snap in the mouth with the hops. This a very solid IPA and would be a good but dangerous session brew. Very enjoyable!

03-10-2007 22:11:29 | More by oakbluff
mcallister

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

Dusty mahagony. Off white head holds retention for a substantial amount of time. Leaves a thin lace behind.

Sweet light floral malt aromas. Hints of pine as well as some fruity esters. Sweet toffee induced malts. Flower aromas overwhelm all other contenders.

The flowery, flowered, flowers of hops leads over to the taste. Albeit not overly bitter and well balanced by the semi sweet toffee malt. Light citrus approach with undescernible notations.

Mouth is medium bordering on thin. This is a solid beer and very drinkable.

03-09-2007 00:22:57 | More by mcallister
quikfish13

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a dark, cloudy orange, with an off white tannish head. Very foamy on top and appears good and refreshing. The aroma is a bit lacking in the head but does have a nice hoppy undertone that is sweet but not quite citrus. I just found myself wishing for a more dominate smell of hops.

This IPA I found had a more roasted flavor than I am used to in the style. A nice change from the ordinary. Good amount of carbonation giving it a medium body that left with a strong bitter finish. Thoughts of oranges came to mind, with a slite alcoholic taste that is more masked by the hops and malts.

I quite enjoyed this beer and would pick up another six pack when able. I would also be interested in trying this one on tap.

03-08-2007 08:55:37 | More by quikfish13
FlyFisher2782

Thanks Cheers2beers for this one.

Starts of with a billowing tan head that dissipates a little quickly and gives up a dark straw colored beer underneath.

The nose of this beer I find lacking a bit for an IPA. Not much hops present in the smell but I did catch a hint of a dark plum and some bready overtones.

First sip brought me right back to the fact that this is definitely an IPA. Starts of with a crisp malt backbone, dry, bready and well balanced. This is definitely more of a "dry" ipa with little sweetness in the malt.

There are mostly bittering hops in this one, but perfectly balanced with the malt it makes for a nice platform to show off the hoppy finish which stays with you for a while. Peppery, spicy hops, no real citrus to speak of.

Overall a VERY balanced IPA with a perfect amount of carbonation and a great hop finish.

You could definitely session some of these as the alcohol was imperceptible.

I'd crack another anytime.

03-03-2007 04:56:29 | More by FlyFisher2782
peabody

Kentucky

Pours out a cloudy amber orange with white suds that leave good lacing on the pint glass.
This one smells sweet. Sugary malt and slight hops. Very slight citrus aromas. Needs to be stronger in the nose.
I was trying to compare this and the weyerbacher Simcoe but that won't work. It is a beer by itself. Initially sweet then bitter then sweet then bitter again. Not a lot of citrus flavor but there is a blackness that must be roasted malt and very black tasting hops.
I like this take on the IPA. Very different from most IPA's I have had.
If I could get ahold of lots of these I would love to session a case or two! Victory for your taste indeed!

02-28-2007 02:41:27 | More by peabody
Jwaks

Connecticut

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%

Serving 12oz

Fine wisps of carbonation lazily float upwards though a pellucid pale bronze body to meet a frothy collar encirlcing a thin, patchy brown tinted head.

Mild grapefruit and juicy orange flirt with caramel malt aromas on the nose while whiffs of alcohol and fresh cut grass linger in the background.

Hard hitting hops smack the taste buds from the start to the bitter off-dry finish while restrained caramel malts smooth over and balance out the rough bitter citrus flavors. Piquant hop bitters, smooth malts and a bit of peppery alcohol tie it all together on a pleasant finish. Grassy bitter hops grip the palate for a good 20 seconds creating a dry, mildly grassy aftertaste. Hop bitterness is takes on an odd metallic, copper, and grassy flavors as the beer warms.

Bitterness and grassy hops dominate on the aftertaste while the malt backbone is well delinated yet not expertly integrated to make a uniform whole. A medium to full body lends a desireable mouthcoating character while hop bitters and malts work toward a harmonious balance. Additional carbonation would lift this beer's body up giving it a fuller more complete mouthfeel.

Easy down for a bitter beer with a respectable dose of alcohol. The dry, bitter finish keeps me going back for more.

Kudos to Victory for giving us another great brew!

Cheers!

02-28-2007 01:32:26 | More by Jwaks
MrMcGibblets

3.83/5  rDev -6.1%

appearance was deep apricot in hue, somewhat cloudy, bouqet was loads of citrus, floral, pine, caramel, honey, taste was similar to nose, also some nice stone fruits, the intense bitter hops well-balanced by the residual caramel malt sweetness, mouthfeel was medium-heavy and pretty viscous, drinkability suffers only from the necessarily significant alc content and big body, this is a fine example of the dipa style and definitely a fridge staple at the moment.

02-26-2007 01:07:31 | More by MrMcGibblets
Shiloh

Ontario (Canada)

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

Certainly not the prettiest brew I have ever encountered but the taste more than makes up for its physical shortcomings. The body is a hazy burndt orange in colour, very short crown with minimal lacing. Carbonation is light.
The nose is fairly clean with a hint of a woodsy pine and straw.
The taste starts with an even hit of malt and hops, grassy and kettle hops and /or citrus.At this time, the hops take immediate control over the ever present malts in the background, with a strong citrus regime, grapefruit/lemon. Mouthfreel is full bodied and crisp. Exellent brew.

02-26-2007 00:20:00 | More by Shiloh
coalcracker

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

12 oz bottle with an 'enjoy by' date of 4/7/07.

A: Pours a nice, amber color with adequate head that left lacing throughout consumption.
S: Fantastic indication of what you're in for! Strong, flowery scent with grapefruit and spice mixing in. Strong, pleasant aroma...
T: First taste reveals a sharp, but manageable hop bite- not the kind of 'hop-bite' to cringe over. Malt is there somewhat to balance this beer, but the hops are certainly king. Aftertaste is mild.
M: Smooth once the 'bite' leaves your tastebuds. This beer seems to smooth out even more as it warms.
D: Very drinkable for hop fans, though I prefer to drink this one slowly while enjoying a good book or just kicking back after a hard week. I just don't see this as a typical session beer.

Overall, wonderfully hopped beer with well-rounded attributes. Strong, yet not challenging to drink. Seems to taste a bit better on tap, as I recall.

02-24-2007 22:03:04 | More by coalcracker
woodychandler

Gee, Hop Devil gets reviewed so seldom that I am anxious to get one posted. Ha! Instead, I want to indulge in a little bit of (not really) frivolity.

Ode to Hop Devil

O, great Hoppus Maximus!
You were my first love.
I discovered you early on
And although I have had others
You remain the one that converted me.
Once, I embraced Rolling Rock,
But the pony left me behind.
Then, I received your kiss,
And I was won!

My mentor, Lew, puts it so well:
You are the perfect marriage of malt and hops
And who am I to disagree?
Your tawny beauty is breathtaking
But so is your tannish head.
Some find you indescribable
But I must disagree!

You, dear Hop Devil, are the beer for me.
Rotsaruch, Maybrick, Shapudding, favorites all,
But you, Hop Devil, make me sit up tall.
Your sticky lacing,
Your thick, full mouthfeel,
Your bitter start,
Your sweet end,
Your reddishness,
You, baby, are my dream.

They say that the devil is male,
But you give that supposition the lie.
Hop Devil, you are as sensuous as any woman.
I will love you until the day I die.

My apologies if that seems rambling or silly, but it was heartfelt. May my Karma be struck dead.

02-20-2007 10:03:15 | More by woodychandler