Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Sticks to the glass and very lacy with an orange/light brown color. Nice aroma of grapefruits, oranges and malt. Flavor is pretty much the same. I noticed the orange flavor more and more as it warmed. A lot more malt than I'm used to in American IPAs but definitely still big on the hops. I was very pleased overall. I generally like malts more than hops so the balance in this beer suited my tastes. I'd recommend it to people who aren't super hopheads or maybe are looking for an entry point into the world of American IPAs. I'll be buying this one again, for sure.

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

12oz bottle with cool picture of a cartoon HopDevil figure
Enjoy by Sep 30 09
A - Never seen an IPA with a dark copper color but I like it. Big chunky off-white head. nice layered lacing.

S - kind of one-dimensional, piney hops

T - sweet floral piney hops hit the palate. Nice sweet malts balance the hops. Sticky resiny hops in the aftertaste and back of the tongue. It lingers a good bit and I enjoy it.

M - Light carbonation, medium body, smooth and crisp

D - its drinkable and well balanced, I could enjoy a few.
Notes: I really enjoy west coast IPAs and DIPAs and didn't think east coast could compete, but I was wrong. This was a pretty good beer. Only I was expecting a hop bomb and it wasn't, but I did enjoy the hoppiness and balance.

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

This doesn't smell like a typical IPA to me. Much more malty and somewhat fruity. Also doesn't look like one. Much darker and copperish in color. Still looks appealing though, with a nice fluffy white head and substantial lacing. Taste is a combination of rich malts and bitter hops.

Hops lean more to the pine side of the spectrum. The bottle does say enjoy by 11/09/09, so I don't think it's a bad bottle. Mouthfeel is kind of heavy, as I've seen with other Victory brews. Still relatively good and actually kind of sessionable, considering the ABV.

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

I really like this. The chestnu colour is mouthwatering and the taste and smell are a symphony of bitter piney hops and some maple syroup malts. It is slightly on he hoppy side but it s in the name - you have been warned

Mouthfeel is good carbonation but leaves a slight coating. I will have to revisit this soon.

3.46/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

On-tap at Delaney's in a pint glass.

A: Dark amber (almost brown) body topped by a half-inch of thick, rich, off-white foam with admirable retention. Good lacing. One of the darkest IPAs I've ever seen. Nice.

S: Nothing but thick, resinous, piney hops. Appetizing enough, but one-dimensional.

T: Pure bitterness. The pineyness of the nose is subsumed in a straight-forward attack of bitter astringency. Some semi-sweet malts act like they want to peek out at the end, but the hops quash this futile desire without remorse. One of the hoppiest regular IPAs I've ever had (maybe THE hoppiest), but the lack of any kind of balance with malts OR complexity of hop profile leaves me underwhelmed, hop-head though I am.

M: Good carbonation, but a little sharp for the medium-light body.

D: The bitterness just doesn't leave any room for exploration and discover, and thus I'm left without a desire to keep drinking.

Notes: While I normally can't get enough of hops, this beer just bores me with its one-dimensionality. I thought exactly the same thing when I had a six-pack a couple months ago, but I thought I'd give it another shot and review it on tap. Unfortunately, I was similarly disappointed.

Cheers!

3.57/5  rDev -12.3%

This claims to be the real deal...hmm...Pours a deep ruby red/orange color with a slight off white head. Carbonation looks good and this brew is also somewhat hazy. The smell is robust but well balanced hop bitterness with a sweet malt smell underneath. A slightly sticky citrus stank comes through as well but its far more subtle then the floral aroma. A more complex smell then I would have guessed.

Glug glug glug

Hits slightly sweet but the floral hops take over my tongue and wreak havoc at the back of my tongue, where they linger in the aftertaste, there's a really lemon tart acidic citric element. The mouth feel is a little sticky but overall pretty good. The carbonation really bolsters this brew. After the first few sips the floral punch seems to mellow some, letting less powerful taste come through. Pretty good, but could use a bit more sweetness to the bitterness and just a bit more malt profile...IMHO.

2.7/5  rDev -33.7%

I'm new to the craft beer world. Wine is my first passion. but since it's summertime, I've been drinking more beer and have been quite impressed with the quality of crafty beers out there (if only I didn't live on the upper east side of NYC, where you don't get much of a beer selection at the supermarkets and delis).

I was not a big fan of this beer - I enjoy IPA's, but this one seemed all hops and nothing else. I can see that this beer is very well reviewed on this site, but for my palate, it just didn't do the trick

4.21/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a beautiful deep amber hue with about a finger head, leaves a thick lacing that slides down the side of the glass

S: smells really good, sweet and piney, with some floral qualities

T: Delicious. A nice smooth blend of hops and malty goodness. Its clean and crisp to a bitter sweet perfection.

M: Its lightly carbonated smooth with only a slight bitter aftertaste that dissipates quickly.

D: This beer is definitely worth the try. Its delicious and whole. I could drink this beer anytime, its not to light, not too heavy.

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance: Pours a beautiful copper hue with a nice head that leaves a great lacing.

Smell: The smell is an amazing precursor to this beer, the aroma of floral hops and lavender mixed with a slight malt and grain; what more could you ask for.

Taste: The hops are definately there but not overly dry and mix nicely with a bready malt and a nice hint of salt and acidic citrus.

Mouthfeel: Has a smooth medium bodied feel with a crisp undertone. Coats the mouth with a film of hop oil like a fumigator to mark its territory.

Drinkability: Quite drinkable and well balanced

Overall: I was expecting a major punch of hops maybe even overpowering but this is an IPA in its own right that stands out from most, truly enjoyable.

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Copper hue with an off white head that laces very nicely

S- A very mild citrus and spice aroma, very deceiving

T- Bitterness hits the tongue upfront powerfully and lingers until the last sip, the bitterness is one tone, but I love the highly hopped brew

M- Medium-bodied but extremely hopped and bitter

D- The high bitterness makes this brew difficult to drink more than three. Being 7% the brew gives you a buzz quickly

I can pick up a 1/2 keg down the road for only $130. Can't beat the keg price. I feel bad for those of you who don't have access to one of my all time favorite beers.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

A good, solid IPA. I've had this beer through three different sources now, two from trades and a six pack now that Victory distributes to my area. I guess I let the hype get to me because I'm still a bit disappointed. I even refused to review the first two times I tried it, thinking that the bottles weren't fresh enough, but, alas, it's a good IPA that still doesn't knock my socks off. There's a fairly strong malt backbone and a healthy hop bitterness, but neither element is extraordinary. If you're into balanced bitterness, this is probably your thing. For me, it lacks the delicate hop flavors that I really love in an IPA. That's certainly not to say that HopDevil is a bad beer. It nearly has the malt backbone of an amber ale. The hops are fairly strong, if a bit one note. It's easy to drink and quite pleasant.

4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Pours a clear true copper hue. Head is a very pale yellow with a variety of small and large bubbles. Head falls to a fine net of tiny bubbles that cover the beer, Good Lacing. Plenty of carbonation races up the walls of the glass.

S - Amazing Smell. Lots of sweet grape fruit up front with a more of a pine finish. Complementary caramel malt accentuated the bitter hop aroma at the end. Slight malt undertones.

T - Simply amazing. There is a very powerful citrus hops up front that seem to be sweetened by the malts. The taste moves towards a hint of a yeasty sweet bred towards the middle. And finishes clean on the palette with a Spicy bitter taste that doesn't linger too long. The malt doesn't seem to separate its self ever from the Hops, it's a cohesive taste the whole way through.

M - Medium Bodied finish very light and dry with an ever so slight warming feeling. Awesome carbonation, just right.

O - It just doesn't last long enough. The first impression is of IPA is that its not overpowering enough, then after a few sips the beer becomes perfectly balanced with malt and just the right amount of hops. Its getting a 5 on Overall impression because it improves with each sip, rather then hit you up front and leave you numb towards the end. Perfectly balanced.

4.67/5  rDev +14.7%

now this is what i am talking about! this is one damn fine hopped beer. poured nice into the tulip glass. nice light orange color. about one inch of head that settled to about a quarter inch. good carbonation. the aroma...ah the aroma, excellent smell and a taste to match. this is in my opinion an almost perfect IPA. nice look with steady carbonation and very nice lacing down the glass.

as a hop head it is lovely!

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into a Bud (woo!) pint glass at the Kuzma's.

A: Poured a bright, hazy and clear orange amber color with a frothy, two-finger head of ivory foam. Carbonation was nil yet suspended compounds were entrancing.

S: Smells slightly spicy and alcoholic with a nice zesty, floral hop aroma and a little breadiness.

T: Taste is not as overly pungent with hops as expected, but rather it is clean, smooth and malty to start, with a good crisp, bready caramel flavor. This gives way to a nice bouquet of acidic citrus and herbal hop flavors. A smooth, dry finish earmakrs this as a nice, clean session IPA.

M: Mouthfeel is crisp, smooth and medium bodied with a clean and satisfying finish.

D: A very drinkable and well crafted IPA by Victory. I was expecting sinister hop flavors but this was more demure and balanced. Intentional by the brewery? I think so - session gold.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

Clear amber with copious carbonation, and a small white head, quickly fading to a thin film. Aroma is more malt than hops. Bitter with nondescript hopping. Medium mouthfeel. Except for the bitterness, it doesn't strike me as an IPA. More like a hoppy American Amber.

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Wow! This was way more than i was expecting. Probably the most intense hop flavor i've had to date.

Pours a hazy ale orange, with a yellowish head that lingers for a bit. Lacing on the side of glass hangs around for a bit before fading.

Smell is of a hoppy grapefruit. Little bit of spice in there too.

Now the taste! Wow! In your face! My tongue is assaulted with a bitterness then followed my a malty, grainy, almost bready citrus. Maybe a little pepper in there too...

I've seen this beer on the shelf numerous times, but for some reason never picked it up. Worth checking out. Something to share with friends. Won't be on my everyday drinking list because of it's bold flavor. But is one to have around for others to try!

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Had this out of six-pack bottle last night during our IPA tasting night. Poured into a pint glass and away we go.

Appearance: Orange-brown-gold with a nice, billowy white head that maintains its form well and stays true to the style with a nice lacing as it goes down. Very nice bottlework too.

Smell: Slightly grapefruity with some malty tones in the nose as well. You can also pick up a bit of the prickly and spicy alcholic notes as well, leading to the impression of a fairly balanced IPA (and by balanced, I mean West-Coast balanced. It's almost its own style anymore).

Taste: The smell in liquid form. Solid hops with more bitterness than I was expecting, Alpha-Acids are definitely at work here in their bittering role, with a nice malt foil at work against the hops, leading towards a more synergized and balanced. The grainy taste as well works as the more secondary and smoothing finish as well. Alcohol is there as well and will not be written off, providing a slight spiciness that adds a little something extra too.

Mouthfeel: Amply carbonated and bitter upfront, leaving a nice, full-bodied aftertaste that coats the mouth until the next sip. Not too resinous or damp, but not dry either. Pleasant.

Drinkability: I prefer my IPAs to be a bit hoppier to be completely honest, but this is by no means something I wouldn't like to drink. It's an enjoyable East Coast IPA, which is saying something for me as my preference is definitely the San Diego / West Coast style. It's not my ace-in-the-hole IPA so to speak, but it's one that when cooking, I'll keep in mind for something a bit spicier, as the taste would be great with some Thai food. Yummm.

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Pours an orangey/amber color that produces a nice off-white head that leaves amazing lacing along the pint glass. Nice looking pour, as always, from Bell's brews

S: Super hoppy nose! Caramel or amber malts in the background balance this pretty well. The hop profile is more bittering than floral in my opinion, which is not something I generally like, but the malts balance well enough to make up for it.

T: Very citrusy hops dominate the profile. Grapefruit, lemon peel, and bitter hops. Malts are present in the background but do not balance the beer as I wanted them too. Truly a hop-head's delight, but I tend to be more about balance than to let hops run rampant- super bitter. There is also a slight wet wood note

MF/D: A little fizzy carbonation wise, bitter/dry finish that lingers pretty well.

3.86/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a copper color. Very standard looking with a one and a half finger head that dies down to about half a finger in about a minute. Pretty good looking beer, no flaws but it's not incredible.

Smells piney with malts. Pretty standard as welll. Nothing too intriuguing. Kinda wish there was more nose in this one but that's okay.

Taste is good. Piney hops with some caramel malts. The hops of course are front and center but not overwhelming. Not very complex, was hoping for more here. But overall, a good tasting beer.

Mouthfeel is generic. I don't mean that in a bad way, it's definitely a good feeling to roll this around in your mouth a bit but it's not creamy or anything. Goes down smooth, decent amount of bubbles, kinda lighter but true to the style.

Drinkability is rather high since it is a normal ABV beer and tastes pretty good. This wouldn't be my first choice in American IPAs but certainly wouldn't be my last.

Overall, a good beer. Definitely ont hat shouldn't be overlooked.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

A: Orangy copper color hazy liquid. Light amber at the bottom of the glass. A finger width creamy colored head.

S: Nice combo of maltiness, sweet caramel and hop aggressiveness.

T: Solid bready malt with a really nice piney hop bite. Really satisfying breadiness in the finish with a lasting bitterness.

M: Light side of medium bodied. Medium carb.

D: Really drinkable IPA. Very enjoyable. Hard to have just the one. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this.

Neat bottle art. Dark, clear amber with a decent white head. Ample lace and retention. Looks like an IPA to me.

Juicey Fruit phenols and tobaco spice.

Sugary grapefruit up front followed by an aggressive tobacco hop bitter. Tobacco hop oil lingers for awhile. Interesting balance between sugary malt and tobacco bitter. I like it.

4.51/5  rDev +10.8%

Presentation: Poured from a 12oz. brown bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Dark orange amber, almost reddish. Clear with tan head and moderate lacing.

S: Hops are are up front but not overpowering. Well balanced with florals and a minimal pine scent. Not as strong scented as most IPA's.

T&M: Very smooth, medium bodied beer with perfect carbonation. Crisp and dry finish. Perfectly balanced floral hops and minimal sweetness. Slowly fades with slightly bitter hop taste.

This is probably one of the best IPA's I've ever tasted. Have also had this on tap and it's just as good.

3.72/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

dark brown and hazy with an off-white head. the head looks sticky.

smells a little piney, grassy, and maybe a bit of wet hay. some citrus notes thrown in there too.

touch of malty sweet amongst pine and resin flavors. relatively subdued but well balanced.

fullbodied but not overly mouthy. good drinkable ipa.

4.01/5  rDev -1.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a DFH Signature Glass -- Best By 16 Sep 09

Appearance -- A nice copper with soapy head on the pour giving way to a thin head with nice vanilla colored lacing

Smell -- Not at all what I expected considering the name and label. The sweet malts really jump out at me with very little citrus or pine.

Taste -- Again, much like the smell, the malt really jumps on my palette at the start. As a newer IPA fan I've found that I'm a big fan of the west coast style IPA with heavy Cascade and Columbus hops...this beer really pointed out the big difference between east and west coast as the hops really kicked in on the backside with a nice bitterness to clean some of that malt off my palette. Totally different experience but not all that bad.

Mouth Feel -- the moderate level of carbonation is a great complement to the sequence of flavors of the beer.

Drinkability -- At a moderate ABV and good mouth feel, this one goes down preettttaay, prettttaaay, pretty good. I'll probably purchase this one again.

Quite simply...my favorite beer. Great appearance, awesome hoppy smell, excellent taste, superb mouthfeel, and a drinkability that can go down for the ages. A++ for this beer!!! Quite simply, among my favorites for the regular rotation in my fridge. Not to mention, this brew tastes 10x better coming from a cask conditioned pump straight from the source.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company