Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Clear, golden amber in color with a nice 2 finger head that leaves some really nice lacing on the surface of the beer as well as up and down the sides of the glass.

S: Like many of this style, the nose is dominated by citrus and pine. There is some floral character as well. This is what I expect an American IPA to smell like.

T: Nice and tart grapefruit up front which segues into a dry, bitter hop finish. Very refreshing.

M: Near perfect carbonation coupled with some decent oiliness; could use a little more texture though.

D: Easy summer drinking. Very tasty and nice example of the style. Highly recommended.

montageman, Jul 25, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -11%

The aroma is great but fools you into thinking it will be hoppier. Look at the name, for crying out loud. I know people whine about balance, but I can tell a good hoppy beer by the way it makes the back of my gums tingle and this doesn’t do it. Too much malt here for a ’hop devil’. I recommend Bell’s two-hearted or weyerbacher’s hop-infused.

bboven, Jul 25, 2007
4.93/5  rDev +20.8%

Hazy and orange if not copper in colour. Hihly retentive head, as should be the case with an offering like this. Aromas thick with grapefruit and sweet malty balance intertwined with a solid bready, yeasty goodness. Hardly shy on the palate, this one is smooth on the tongue with fantastic flavors of citrus and breadiness that cannot be beat. Spicy finish with a balancing malty sweetness. Perhaps the creme de la creme of beers: balanced, aromatic, flavorful, and not too high in alcohol. Certainly, IMHO, far better on cask than in bottle or on tap elsewhere than the brewpub itself. For its style, it is the best, hands down. Granted, it can be "big" for a person who is not a hop lover... that, however, is not my problem.

Zum wohl!

goindownsouth, Jul 23, 2007

Revisiting the Devil...

Appearance - Pours a hazy burnt amber with a generous off white head. Retention is quiter good. Irish lace sticks all over the inside of the glass.

Smell - Sweet malts dominate the nose a little more, with a slight alchohol burn somewhere up in the sinus. Hops are present, but a little subdued for an american IPA. Notes of lemon zest and other citrus.

Taste - Malty base is quickly over powered by an intense, but not overly so, bitterness. Caramel, citrus, burnt pineaple, and piney resins are all quite strong. More hoppy than the last time I tried this beer. Quite good.

Mouthfeel - Slick and oily, with a nice light carbonation.

Drinkability - Instead of crafting a monster of an IPA, the relative weekness makes this a more sessionable AIPA. And as I whole heartedly believe, hoppy beers are always the most refreshing on a hot day. Here's to hops!

Bobikel, Jul 22, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

Appearance: Dark amber, good head.

Smell: Citrus, not overpowering, with a kind of sweetness hovering in the background.

Taste: A nice hoppy citrus bite, not overly bitter.

Mouthfeel: Seemed a little thin to me.

Drinkability: Because of the thin mouthfeel, I could have a few in a sitting if I was willing to deal with the alcohol.

A pretty good IPA, but has never been one of my favorites even though Victory is one of my favorite breweries. Seems kind of thin but has a nice hop kick.

Mdog, Jul 15, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

12 oz. bottle from the B-Side Liquor Lounge on Coventry, Cleveland Heights, Ohio.

Appearance: Pours an amber orange with a thick ivory head.

Smell: Pure hops with a good touch of malt in the nose.

Taste: The hops lend a zesty citrus taste (oranges, grapefruits).

Mouthfeel: Medium body in the mouth, hops all the way.

Drinkability: I found this to be a pretty good IPA, I liked the malt.

Slar211, Jul 12, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Aroma: Light peppery hop aroma. More caramel character comes through than the hops and they both battle each other. Fruity esters of grapefruit that can also be from the hops.

Appearance: Clear copper in color with a huge creamy slightly off white head that kinda clings to the glass.

Flavor: Very nice caramel and hints of biscuit malt flavor. Huge hop flavor that is spicey and grassy. Has a decent bitter after bite that lingers a bit and makes you take another sip to put out the "fire." The bitterness is not overly cloying. Slight alcohol but almost totally masked.

Mouthfeel: On the high side of medium bodied. Slick on the tongue. Perfect CO2.

Overall Impression: A perfectly balanced India Pale Ale. This one is not overly done on the hop bitterness at all. It's actually refreshing. Would be perfect after a hot summers day just before sunset, especially when the fishing is just right.

sullysbeer, Jul 10, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

I was excited to see this at my hometown grocery-store in a six pack. A hazy burnt orange with that frothy IPA head that sticks everywhere. So delicious and actually quite smooth drinking. Smoothness doesn't hide the great hop flavor with heady garden notes and a finish of fizzy pepper. Easier to drink than some other hopped-up beers of the same nature, really a great job by Victory.

masikon, Jul 09, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

Appearance:
The beer is murky and brownish in color. There's a decent off white head to the beer with some decent retention.

Smell:
More of a malty smell here with little touches of sweetness and notes of prunes and currants. Not too terribly potent but apparent none the less.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
This beer oddly reminds me or raisin bran which is a cereal I enjoy quite a bit. Up front there's some semi sweet, but rich malts lending a smooth mouthfeel to the beer with just a sting of hop bitterness. These flavors soon transfer to more of a sun dried raisin flavor. The finish is pretty clean and there are some minor apricot notes in to the aftertaste.

Drinkability:
It's about as drinkable as any other IPA really. There's really nothing especially good or bad about this brew.

Bottom Line:
This beer seems to get quite a bit of hype in my opinion but I think it's just kind of your average good IPA. A good selection none the less.

Grundle20, Jul 08, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +12.7%

Another review I have done due to a great respect for the brewer. I believe Victory is a steady influence in the craft industry. I have yet to have a subpar product.

A. A deep amber color with a 2 finger tan head. Almost looks like an American Red.

S. Definitely the piney hops are dominate with an aftereffect of grapefruit, yeast and malt.

T. Again the piney hops dominate. But again the aftereffects follow.

M. Very smooth without being overwhelming.

D. Very drinkable! Ican see why Alyeast went to the trouble to get the first SC keg of this!!

MarkSCCOT, Jul 07, 2007
3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a slightly hazy blood orange color with a small dense off-white head, not much lacing. The smell is piney with a hint of grapefruit, honey and malt. The taste is grapefruit rind up front and center, a decent toasted malt backbone, some resin. I just discovered that this is an old bottle so some of the fresh hop taste is obviously gone, arg! Still a good hop flavor, though. The feel is moderate and has a creamy texture, there is a bitterness that kind of numbs the palate. A good AIPA, though I feel I missed out on some of the fresh hops due to the old bottle. I look forward to trying a fresh sample.

Gmann, Jul 04, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +14%

12 oz. bottle

A: Red amber with thick white head, good lacing.

S: Biscuity malt with piney hops, not a hop bomb, but a very good smell.

T: Pine, resin, tree sap upfront, with a good backbone of caramel and toffee malts.

M: This is the type of mouthfeel I look for in an IPA. Incredibly smooth and well-balanced, full-bodied, creamy, and robust.

D: Very balanced, incredibly drinkable, a great East Coast IPA; make a deal with the Hopdevil, you won't be dissapointed.

Halcyondays, Jul 03, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Ruby/amber body slathered with a haphazard head notable for its rather large bubbles. Lacing spiderwebs itself all over the glass.

Brown sugar and blood oranges make for an alluring combo aided by a hop-pine scent. Good.

Taste is solidly grapefruit with pith included. Standard take pulled off exceptionally well.

Mouthfeel successfully avoids any oiliness and provides a thick, full-bodied beverage. About as drinkable as IPAs get, this one is a modern classic.

malcontent, Jul 01, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

Hoppy ales aren't my favorite to begin with but this beer is decent. I didn't have that "cop from Dumb and Dumber face before they offered him a Tic Tac" look on my face. It lacks the overpowering bitterness I've found in many hopped-up ales. I could detect a hint of some sort of sweet fruit flavor in there. Maybe orange? Who the hell knows? Nice dark gold color... Like the first pee in the morning after a long night of drinking. AND it's 6.7% alcohol, which is nice.

NOTE: A year and a half later I have developed a great liking for IPAs and would like to review this beer again. I bet I would like it better now...

berserker256, Jun 29, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

a- pours a dark, amber hue with creamy white head that is mostly lasting, excellent lacing throughout

s- as the name states, the nose is dominated by earthy, piney, bitter hops with a hint of citrus and sour grapefruit

t- again, taste is of sour citrus hops balanced well with caramel and biscuit hops, strong alcohol presence

m- Medium/heavy body with adequate carbonation

d- Nice tasty IPA that is not too overwhelming, hangs well with its West Coast brethren, unique earthiness stands out well

Stoneman78, Jun 27, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Hoping to find something a bit more drinkable than Victory's Hop Wallop, a great beer, but not something I'd have more than one of per night. Pours an amber, burnt orange. The head forms slowly and you can tell this is a thick and bitter beer; the head is nice leaving a good solid lace around the glass. Aroma is pure pine needles and brown sugar with earthy and bitter hops dominating the smell. Taste is bitter with the hops dominating this sweet, caramel-like brew, also hints of over-ripe orange. Finishes oily with a nice residual bitterness so you know you've been drinking an IPA.

All in all, a great beer I'll have a again. A low-yield hop bomb so it's drinkable, but there are some better ones out there to have several of in one sitting.

saintwarrick, Jun 27, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

12 oz. bottle, "drink before Oct 25 07"

Hop Devil is a nice balance between hoppyness and drinkability. All the floral/pine flavors are there, but the body is light enough that it goes down easily. The appearance is nothing notable - low carbination, but a ring of foam around the perimeter of the glass. The aroma is also somewhat low key, but it's certainly better than average. The taste, however, is where this beer shines. As mentioned before, there is the typical floral/pine flavor, but with the right amount of bitterness. The body is fairly medium, but sticky enough to be called slightly chewy. The nice thing about HopDevil is that it is smooth enough to be refreshing, but complex enough to keep you wanting more. A well balanced beer.

Overall, HopDevil is an excellent choice at a bargain price (at least where I got it). It's hoppy enough to frighten the weaker beers away, but light enough to be more refreshing than the Double IPAs.

Contra, Jun 26, 2007
2.08/5  rDev -49%

I was very hesitant to write this review. American IPA's are my favorite style of brew. This beer is highly recommended so I thought it must be good. After drinking my first I thought I had a bad bottle. It was poor, make that very poor for any style of beer. I did not write a review cause I thought I must have a bad batch. 4 weeks later I buy another sixer. Same crap! This time I did a blind taste test with Broken Halo, Avery IPA, Great Divide IPA, and this mess. I could pick this thing out blindfolded every time, and not for good reasons.
It looks good nice color and head. But that is where good ends and bad to worse starts. It smells like a decent IPA with malts and lots of hops but then a whiff of, (I don't know what) hits me. I really don't know what to call it, plastic? or soap. Whatever the smell is it is even more prevalent in the taste. A very distinctive yuck aftertaste. To its credit the beer is much better as it warms but I will be very gun shy about trying another.

ttu94, Jun 23, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Poured from the bottle into a pint glass with a very deep brown color with a decent white head. Some lace.

S: This beer smells really good. Sour grapefruit and some sweet fruit and fresh hops are present.

T: The hops are the stars in this beer. You get hit with a wide array of varying hop flavors. This beer kicks your ass but is still sweet enough to put a smile on your face. The one thing that to me is amazing is how creamy it is for such a hoppy beer.

D: Overall a great beer that does the style justice. Highly Recommended.

Two Thumbs Up

robocrouch, Jun 23, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

pours a dark amber honey color with a beautiful head and a decent lacing as it defuses. smells GREAT, apples and other fruits (my brother says cranberry) Hops of course are prevalent as is a piney, fruity tastes very good mouthfeel, full and solid, a good ipa, i like them a bit stronger but this one is very well done

1fastz28, Jun 16, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured amber into imperial pint glass. White head dissapates but good lacing intact. Hops come out in the smell but not as strong as the name would suggest. Very well balanced in the taste, huge hops with enough malt to get you through to the sweet aftertaste. At 6.7% these might be a little too easy to drink.

jackhig, Jun 15, 2007

Pours a nice deep amber color with a nice big white head. In the aroma it has hops and faint smell of alcohol. It has the a big hop presence and a spicy, abrasive malt characteristic. This was the first IPA I ever drank on a regular basis, and I remember saying to my girlfriend (now wife) "I will not marry a girl unless she likes Hop Devil" Guess what we drank at our wedding?!

OWSLEY069, Jun 14, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Copper color with a fluffy white head. Lacing that is as thick as the head.

Lots of orange and pine resin in the nose. Malt aromas present but understated.

A flash of nutty/carmely/biscuity malt flavors that finishes with candied orange, grapefruit rind, and earthy pine cone. Noticeably high IBUs. Very tasty.

Medium body with an oily mouthfeel from hops. Nicely carbonated.

Good IPA probably the best I have had that was made east of the Rockies. Nice balance, flavor, and drinkability. Worth trying.

bosco7, Jun 14, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -11%

A- Reddish copper with 2 1/2 fingers of head after a hard pour into my goblet. head retains pretty well and laces a bit, and the beer is absolutely clear.

S- Grapefruity and piney hops supported by some grain smell and caramel malt. There is an almost strawy note in there as well that I've never smelled before in an American IPA.

T- Caramel-sweet the whole time it's in your mouth, again with the strawy, bready flavor. As soon as it leaves an area on your tongue, though, the hop devil does his dirty work, leaving a decently intense bitterness behind. Gets lower marks here because an IPA really should be more balanced toward the hops. Not more bitter (don't hear what I'm not sayin!) but balanced, in the flavor, towards hops. This one is only hoppy in the finish, the flavor is all sweet and caramelly. However, the finish is HOPPY, and not just in hop flavor, but strong bitterness. This is not for the average beer drinker, but the hop lover. :-)

M- Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, but a lot of astringency left by the hops along with their bitterness.

D- I find it quite drinkable, but I'm a hophead. If you like balanced beers, this one is good, but you have to stand up to the bitter hop oil finish. I'll buy it again though. cheers.

khiasmus, Jun 09, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +17.2%

The great thing about reviewing beers on websites like this is the compulsory tastings that you've had before but must "force" yourself through again...bought a nice sampler for my son's baptismal afterparty... the guests were pleased...solid one-finger head holds well...a controlled hops explosion to the nostrils, among fresh-cut grass, a fresh-cut cigar and the M&M factory for smells that entrance...vivacious and smooth despite the IPA status...crisp, demanding yet not overstated as other American IPAs can often invade the senses with militaristic carelessness...either the Cavs have me pumped or the alcohol is sneaky quick...as impressive an IPA as I could imagine...if Victory makes a beer unworthy of recognition, I haven't had it yet...

dacrza1, Jun 09, 2007