Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 6,691 | Reviews: 2,451
4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured into a pint glass orange color with a thick off white head. Ok lacing. Smell isn't too terribly strong. The taste has a nice hop bite upfront that balances out very nice. In fact, the hops kinda burned my lips because of the BBQ I was eating along with it. Overall, this is a very good AIPA with no bad aftertastes.

3.56/5  rDev -12.5%

A- slightly transparent amber color with a slight off white two finger head. light to medium lacing.

S- alil fruity (not hoppy grapefruit) for an ipa.

T- nothing to crazy. as an ipa i would expect more of a hop attack and for this one it's kinda light. still good tho.

M- light bodied. nice carbonation.

D- very good. prolly drink a whole 6 no problem.

Overall- start off negative.... for the name hop devil i was expecting more of a hop attack. other then that it's pretty good. i would say this is a good ipa to those who aren't crazy about a heavy hop load like bell's two hearted and what not. i give it a thumbs up no prob.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

This is an excellent IPA, flavourful and hoppy in character, yet fairly balanced sweetness and bitterness, the bitterness just having the edge.

Red amber, it has a medium large, off-white head with orange highlights, slowly shrinking to a lasting, foamy, even head and a little bit of weak lace.

Aroma is citrus (caramleised orange peel, candied orange, a little grapefruit but not much); fairly rich with caramel, some toast, light raisininess, flowery and juicy with fresh plum.

The taste is clean, leafy-spicey-citrsuy hops with candied, slightly burnt orange, yeasty dough underneath, some mineral. It's slightly oily sweet and bitter with the bitterness just dominant.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Had this in Atlantic City at the Borgata in the Fornelletto restaurant. Menacingly delicious, with the powerful, aromatic punch of whole flower American hops backed up by rich, German malts. HopDevil Ale offers a roller coaster ride of flavor, coasting to a smooth finish that satisfies fully.

COMPOSITION
Malts: Imported, German 2 row
Hops: American whole flowers
Alcohol by volume: 6.7%

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours copper, orange lightly brownish in colour. Probably one of the darkest IPA I've tasted so far. Beautiful off-white head, looks almost creamy!

At opening, their's an immediate nose of grapefruit and during pouring, a pungent, floral aroma of hops. Unfortunately nose remains quite unidimensional after opening.

Mouth is not very pronounced (or as pronounced as expected). Of course, citrus flavours are abundant but not overwhelming. Grapefruit, pink grapefruit to be more precise, dominates all the flavours. Zest of lemon. Lightly piny not too resinous. Good carbonation. Aftertaste is a bit tart and acid. Hops are lengthy on tongue...

Finally, expectation where high for this beer and I'd say that I'm a bit disappointed. Did I score a bit low (?), maybe! It's a good IPA, but was expecting something more opulent and complex. A bit more malt to give more structure and balance would be welcome.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewing this beer out of the victory sample pack. The bottle didn't have any date on it, but the 12 pack said best by 12/20/09

Pours a light, reddish amber, with a slight haze. The head on a straight pour is perfectly fluffy and large.

Aroma is interesting, and not really typical of the IPA's I'm used to. It's slightly fruity, with pine, wood, and a bit of earth. While it has a good hop character, the hops used seem to be different from the West Coast "C" hops I'm used to in an American IPA, and if I were to guess, I'd say they aren't in this beer at all, as I'm not picking up much citrus. Moderatly strong aroma, I wish it was just a bit stronger.

Flavor has some slight, candy like sweetness along with some herbal hoppiness. The lack of a very strong hop presense in the aroma seems to lessen the hop flavor. Bitterness is there, and it's quite strong. Nice bitter character from start to finish.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly dry for an amber colored, 6.7% IPA. Drinkability is about what I'd expect for an IPA, it's not something I could sip all night but it makes for a pleasant pint.

Overall, this is a decent East coast IPA but nothing to go crazy about. I'm impressed with the different aroma, which makes it stand out from most IPAs. I just wish this was more potent in hop flavor and aroma, and maybe I'd be more impressed with a week old keg than a 2 month old bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Recently acquired a six-pack of this brew for an IPA/dIPA tasting night with some good friends. The other night, I more scrutinously analyzed one of the "leftovers".

12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance -
Coppery/light-brown coloration with thin tan head. Head has very minimal retention--disappears within several minutes of pouring.

Smell -
Mosaic of floral hop smells; grapefruit and lime possibly? It's always difficult for me to pick apart the scents of fruity esters.

Taste -
A salvo of hops for the most part. In fact, it seems a bit unbalanced. There would be room for malt character, but I never did say it was a bad thing to have too much hop flavor. Just being critical, I suppose. Again, it's hard for me to pick apart the flavors, but I certainly catch a hint of pine and a confirmation of the grapefruit odor detected previously.

Mouthfeel -
Very full. Perhaps a bit sticky and resiny. Still, it goes down easy enough.

Drinkability -
A bit intense, but certainly very enjoyable. A great example of an IPA.

3.8/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass:

Appearance and Smell-Poured a good clean orange/copper color. Left a very miniscule head which went away very quickly, not much carbonation present. Smell was of malty/sweet citrus. Seemed like more of a floral than piney hop presence in there. Very tame, nothing really aggressive on the nose.

Taste and Mouthfeel-Pretty balanced. Had a very sweet almost caramel/citrus thing going on. Subtle taste but was enjoyable none the less. Made the hoppy finish stand out alot. The finish kind of dominated while making up for the lack of carbonation in the brew.

Drinkability-Overall a decent drink, maybe lacking a bit of character. Very gentle IPA nothing stands out or overwhelms. Could see downing a few of these fairly quickly due to the lack of anything biting.

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours darker than most ipa's, and is more of a copper, dark orange color than most.

This beer is bitter straight through, and has a very short-lasted malt sweetness, almost a caramel flavor. This quickly fades away to pine and floral hop notes, and a strong bitter finish.

This beer goes great with chile, and with many mexican dishes. It's a creeper at 6.7%, and one that has gotten many of my friends drunk on many occasions.

Enjoy by Dec. 1, 2009.

A - Poured a beautiful tarnished copper with creamy colored two-finger head, not very good retention though. Did seem to have decent lacing.

S - Hoppy, but not overly so, more like breathing in deep in the middle of the forest. A subtle sweetness can be detected along with a slight floral aroma.

T - First comes the slight sweetness, then hops and a slight bitterness, finishes with a dry floral citrus aftertaste.

M - Quite crisp, medium sustain, holds on in the middle of the mouth into the next sip.

D - I could have a couple of these in a row, and I think I'd enjoy every one, very easily drinkable IPA that has enough going on to keep you coming back for more.

Pours dark amber in color, with 1/2" head, with very little retention

Solid smell of sweet pine, with light floral notes.

Piney up front, balanced by a thick caramel malt. Dry, crisp citrus finish.

Medium body, adequate carbonation.

Good drinkibility. While it has no outstanding characteristics, it is a good brew. Not too much to say about it. Simply a good IPA.

4.01/5  rDev -1.5%

A- Medium Copper Color, Light Tan Cream Head, Nice Head Retention, Average Lacing

S- Piney Hops, Sweet Mild Citrus.

T- Up Front Hops Presents, Sweet & Spicy Citrus Finish, Good Back Of The Mouth Taste.

M- Medium Body, Crisp Slightly Dry Finish.

D- Easy Drinkable IPA,

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Going through the cellar beer pile, I found a few beers that had slipped in with the big beers I've been aging. This particular HopDevil had an "Enjoy By" Date of Aug 19, 2007. Well that was over two years ago, but I was interested in how this might have aged. It was amazing! The hops had mellowed significantly letting the strong malt presence take center stage. The aroma is dominated by sweet floral honey and only a mild dose of citris. The flavor is similar, with a pronounced malt sweetness up front, balanced by alcohol and a spicy hop finish. This was almost a sipping beer that got even better as it warmed. Big and thick on the palate, this baby was a gem of a find.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Wasabi 88 pint glass.

A-Pours a light copper colored color, decent head on it with good lacing throughout consumption.

S- Smells of hops very florally, fruity maybe grapefruit.

T- Excellent very well balanced hops hit the palate but not overwhelming. Like previous reviews leaves a lingering of hops and grapefruit taste on the back of your tongue. Very good.

M- Medium bodied decent carbonation, again very well done here.

D- Very drinkable, at 6.7% it can get on you quick, but overall a great Pale Ale. East Coast steps their game up with this brew. A great introduction to your busch light drinking friends.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Sticks to the glass and very lacy with an orange/light brown color. Nice aroma of grapefruits, oranges and malt. Flavor is pretty much the same. I noticed the orange flavor more and more as it warmed. A lot more malt than I'm used to in American IPAs but definitely still big on the hops. I was very pleased overall. I generally like malts more than hops so the balance in this beer suited my tastes. I'd recommend it to people who aren't super hopheads or maybe are looking for an entry point into the world of American IPAs. I'll be buying this one again, for sure.

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

12oz bottle with cool picture of a cartoon HopDevil figure
Enjoy by Sep 30 09
A - Never seen an IPA with a dark copper color but I like it. Big chunky off-white head. nice layered lacing.

S - kind of one-dimensional, piney hops

T - sweet floral piney hops hit the palate. Nice sweet malts balance the hops. Sticky resiny hops in the aftertaste and back of the tongue. It lingers a good bit and I enjoy it.

M - Light carbonation, medium body, smooth and crisp

D - its drinkable and well balanced, I could enjoy a few.
Notes: I really enjoy west coast IPAs and DIPAs and didn't think east coast could compete, but I was wrong. This was a pretty good beer. Only I was expecting a hop bomb and it wasn't, but I did enjoy the hoppiness and balance.

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

This doesn't smell like a typical IPA to me. Much more malty and somewhat fruity. Also doesn't look like one. Much darker and copperish in color. Still looks appealing though, with a nice fluffy white head and substantial lacing. Taste is a combination of rich malts and bitter hops.

Hops lean more to the pine side of the spectrum. The bottle does say enjoy by 11/09/09, so I don't think it's a bad bottle. Mouthfeel is kind of heavy, as I've seen with other Victory brews. Still relatively good and actually kind of sessionable, considering the ABV.

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

I really like this. The chestnu colour is mouthwatering and the taste and smell are a symphony of bitter piney hops and some maple syroup malts. It is slightly on he hoppy side but it s in the name - you have been warned

Mouthfeel is good carbonation but leaves a slight coating. I will have to revisit this soon.

3.46/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

On-tap at Delaney's in a pint glass.

A: Dark amber (almost brown) body topped by a half-inch of thick, rich, off-white foam with admirable retention. Good lacing. One of the darkest IPAs I've ever seen. Nice.

S: Nothing but thick, resinous, piney hops. Appetizing enough, but one-dimensional.

T: Pure bitterness. The pineyness of the nose is subsumed in a straight-forward attack of bitter astringency. Some semi-sweet malts act like they want to peek out at the end, but the hops quash this futile desire without remorse. One of the hoppiest regular IPAs I've ever had (maybe THE hoppiest), but the lack of any kind of balance with malts OR complexity of hop profile leaves me underwhelmed, hop-head though I am.

M: Good carbonation, but a little sharp for the medium-light body.

D: The bitterness just doesn't leave any room for exploration and discover, and thus I'm left without a desire to keep drinking.

Notes: While I normally can't get enough of hops, this beer just bores me with its one-dimensionality. I thought exactly the same thing when I had a six-pack a couple months ago, but I thought I'd give it another shot and review it on tap. Unfortunately, I was similarly disappointed.

Cheers!

3.57/5  rDev -12.3%

This claims to be the real deal...hmm...Pours a deep ruby red/orange color with a slight off white head. Carbonation looks good and this brew is also somewhat hazy. The smell is robust but well balanced hop bitterness with a sweet malt smell underneath. A slightly sticky citrus stank comes through as well but its far more subtle then the floral aroma. A more complex smell then I would have guessed.

Glug glug glug

Hits slightly sweet but the floral hops take over my tongue and wreak havoc at the back of my tongue, where they linger in the aftertaste, there's a really lemon tart acidic citric element. The mouth feel is a little sticky but overall pretty good. The carbonation really bolsters this brew. After the first few sips the floral punch seems to mellow some, letting less powerful taste come through. Pretty good, but could use a bit more sweetness to the bitterness and just a bit more malt profile...IMHO.

2.7/5  rDev -33.7%

I'm new to the craft beer world. Wine is my first passion. but since it's summertime, I've been drinking more beer and have been quite impressed with the quality of crafty beers out there (if only I didn't live on the upper east side of NYC, where you don't get much of a beer selection at the supermarkets and delis).

I was not a big fan of this beer - I enjoy IPA's, but this one seemed all hops and nothing else. I can see that this beer is very well reviewed on this site, but for my palate, it just didn't do the trick

4.21/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a beautiful deep amber hue with about a finger head, leaves a thick lacing that slides down the side of the glass

S: smells really good, sweet and piney, with some floral qualities

T: Delicious. A nice smooth blend of hops and malty goodness. Its clean and crisp to a bitter sweet perfection.

M: Its lightly carbonated smooth with only a slight bitter aftertaste that dissipates quickly.

D: This beer is definitely worth the try. Its delicious and whole. I could drink this beer anytime, its not to light, not too heavy.

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance: Pours a beautiful copper hue with a nice head that leaves a great lacing.

Smell: The smell is an amazing precursor to this beer, the aroma of floral hops and lavender mixed with a slight malt and grain; what more could you ask for.

Taste: The hops are definately there but not overly dry and mix nicely with a bready malt and a nice hint of salt and acidic citrus.

Mouthfeel: Has a smooth medium bodied feel with a crisp undertone. Coats the mouth with a film of hop oil like a fumigator to mark its territory.

Drinkability: Quite drinkable and well balanced

Overall: I was expecting a major punch of hops maybe even overpowering but this is an IPA in its own right that stands out from most, truly enjoyable.

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Copper hue with an off white head that laces very nicely

S- A very mild citrus and spice aroma, very deceiving

T- Bitterness hits the tongue upfront powerfully and lingers until the last sip, the bitterness is one tone, but I love the highly hopped brew

M- Medium-bodied but extremely hopped and bitter

D- The high bitterness makes this brew difficult to drink more than three. Being 7% the brew gives you a buzz quickly

I can pick up a 1/2 keg down the road for only $130. Can't beat the keg price. I feel bad for those of you who don't have access to one of my all time favorite beers.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

A good, solid IPA. I've had this beer through three different sources now, two from trades and a six pack now that Victory distributes to my area. I guess I let the hype get to me because I'm still a bit disappointed. I even refused to review the first two times I tried it, thinking that the bottles weren't fresh enough, but, alas, it's a good IPA that still doesn't knock my socks off. There's a fairly strong malt backbone and a healthy hop bitterness, but neither element is extraordinary. If you're into balanced bitterness, this is probably your thing. For me, it lacks the delicate hop flavors that I really love in an IPA. That's certainly not to say that HopDevil is a bad beer. It nearly has the malt backbone of an amber ale. The hops are fairly strong, if a bit one note. It's easy to drink and quite pleasant.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company