Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

"Enjoy By Aug 17 09" stamped on the label.

Pours a bright red amber with a sturdy ecru head.

Lots of caramel malts on the nose with a support group of pine and citrus hops.

Initial malts on the palate that give way to a good helping of hops. The finish is very smoky with some resinous hops. Very drying. Somewhat thin mouthfeel with light carbonation.

Aside from the slightly overbearing ABV, this would be easy to drink a lot of. I would probably prefer a different IPA most of the time, but this is good stuff.

3.03/5  rDev -25.7%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Received as an extra from portia99. Thanks dude!

A: Pours a clear amber color with half an inch of off-white head that recedes quickly into a collar around the drink and light filming across the top. Has some carbonation up the glass.

S: Lots of hops... Grapefruit citrus, orange, grass, and a little caramel and biscuit malt.

T: Grapefruit hops in the initial taste. The mid-taste is dominated by caramel malt, and the finish is grassy hops with some grapefruit again. A simple and satisfying flavor.

M: Medium-bodied, with low-to-medium carbonation.

D: Pretty high, although it would depend on price. This is the kind of thing I wouldn't mind keeping around the hose for normal drinking, if it were locally available at a fair price. I wouldn't trade for it though.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

when poured it had a nice thick white head and dark copper color to it.. smells where of nice hops and malts.. it was very nice .. taste was smooth and nice mealdy of hops.. i loved it great taste and nice after taste highly drinkable..
not too over powering in flavor

cheers

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured this 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint.

Appearance: Beer pours a brown/copper color that looks orange when held to the light. A standard pour provides a soapy/creamy 1 finger white head. Small amounts of lacing present and the head retains itself for a good portion of the beer.

Smell: Smell of wet hops and malt.

Taste: Decent hopped beginnings that make way to a bready/malt backbone before finishing with more hops.

Mouthfeel: Creamy in some areas, it is definitely decent though nothing overly special. Decent smooth carbonation.

Drinkability: This beer goes down easy and doesn't show its 6.7% abv at all. Well worth getting at least a six to session this one.

Final Thoughts - Decent entry from Victory. Different looking IPA that goes down smooth.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

This pale ale pours a hazy orange to copper color with a nice off white head, packed with firm, medium sized carbonation bubbles that sticks around for a while before giving way to a generous lacing.

The citrus hop aroma floats from the glass packing a zesty nostril punch with other grassy notes and even hints of something sweet like honey or molasses, but I'm not completely sure.

Packs puckering citrus hop bitterness on the palate giving way to sweet malt balance mid-palate, but then resuming the grassy hop flavor in the finish. There is also something toasted in the flavor as well.

Very clean brew, medium to light in body with higher than average carbonation. The hop bite remains on the back of the throat throughout the beer, but is very pleasant.

Another great Victory beer, well balanced, easy to enjoy, and quite satisfying without too high of an abv. Also a great bargain versus its similarly priced competition.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass. The bottle tells me to enjoy by June 26, 2009, but I'm not exactly sure of the time frame between the bottled on date and the freshness date. This beer pours a beautiful dark amber color with orange highlights, and is a few shades darker than the Thomas Creek Class Five IPA I had earlier today. Holding this beer up to a lamp allows me to appreciate its remarkable clarity. The head is a medium khaki color that doesn't look like it'll be sticking around for too long considering the negligible amount of carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. The head has moderate retention, and eventually fades to a small wisp atop the surface of the beer, but it still manages to leave a hearty amount of lace behind.

Smell: The nose of this beer is very punchy, with a citrusy hop character that leaves no doubt in the mind that Northwestern American hops were used in this brew. The website doesn't give any names, but I have a feeling they all start with a "C". All the usual players are here, grapefruit, papaya, and orange zest, and Victory has done a wonderful job with bringing out these wonderful hop aromas. There are also hints of leafy hoppiness, a bit of spice, and some caramel malt, but this is definitely a C-hop dominated nose.

Taste: I thought I had tasted some malt dominant IPA's in my lifetime, but I think I can safely say that Victory's HopDevil takes the cake. This beer starts out with an absolute truckload of sweet malt, with hints of toasted bread and caramel coming along for the ride. After this, however, the hops steal the show, and it's an all out brawl between citrus flavors (grapefruit and bitter orange peel), leafy/floral hop flavors, and enough tongue-bruising bitterness to satisfy even the biggest of hopheads. These flavors eventually subside to a slightly dry, bitter, and very spicy finish that lingers on the palate for an absolute eternity. I think it's worth noting that drinking this beer reminded me of a less malty but hoppier Bigfoot, and those of you that have tasted both beers know exactly what I mean.

Mouthfeel: Very nice medium to medium-full body, especially for an IPA. The thick, malty body is heavenly smooth on the tongue, and the moderate carbonation only adds to the smoothness. Swirling this beer around in the mouth is a delight, and this is a very good mouthfeel for an IPA.

Drinkability: I feel like a broken record when I say that I'm not the sort of person that could ever drink more than one IPA or DIPA in a row, so I don't rate drinkability for these beers on whether or not I'd have another. Instead, I like to focus on how easily drinking one bottle is/was, but sometimes certain things bear repeating. With that in mind, I'm not having any trouble finishing this glass, and in the months that I can't buy Bell's Hopslam Ale I can definitely see myself buying this beer again.

Notes: I've read that the late Michael Jackson was a big fan of Victory's HopDevil, and after tasting it I can see why. This is definitely one of my favorite American IPA's to date, but only time (and more beer!) will tell if it can hold its position. The boys at Victory have done it again, and they continually establish themselves as power players in the American craft beer scene. Victory for my taste [buds]? You bet.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Found this at Whitey's Liquors in Lawrenceburg, IN.

A: Orange to red color. Two fingers of head that hangs around a good while leading to some nice alcing

S: The nose is honey and some floral hops

T: Hops come through withs some nice bite.

M: Has a dry finish but medium body

D: I really dig this beer. I could have a few of these.

This is a great beer. Definately one of my favoriate IPAs. I would put this up against many of the others I've tasted.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

i've had so many of these in the last couple of years, i was surprised that i hadn't reviewed this beer yet - pours that nice crystal clear deep amber gold with a creamy one finger head that lays down rather quickly - a thin layer of bubble stays with it the rest of the way - a little bit of lacing down this glass - smells better balanced than it tastes with a strong bready malt presence and a little hop action - taste is just the opposite as the sharp bite of the hop hit my tongue - malts come thru to finish but the hops win over - feels nice and prickly on the tongue, begging for more -
when i first started drinking these i used to feel more of a bite from the hops - i can drink a lot of these, easy - good stuff.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

A - Coppery golden-brown. Thin head dissipates quickly.

S - Malty and hoppy - like a burnt bitter, in a good way.

T - Wow! I would not have expected such a perfect balance. With a name like 'Hopdevil', I expected the malt to be completely drowned out by the hops. Oddly, the malt hits first, lightly with the carbonation, before the hops swoop in and take it down your throat. This is unexpected for an IPA (American or otherwise)- a style that I did not appreciate until fairly recently.

MF- Sharp and cutting, not at all cloying or sticky.

D - This is a beer that could tempt you to have one too many. A moderate alcohol content is hidden by the hops, though. It's crisp and clean and if the hop bitterness doesn't overwhelm your palate, you'll drink more than one. This is also a good beer to introduce the IPA style to the uninitiated - it has all the hoppy goodness, but the moderate malt flavor may prevent one from equating 'IPA' with 'soap' as I once did.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

12 Oz. bottle, Pint glass.

A: Copper golden amber. Enticing finger and a half lacing that dies slowly.

S: Hoppy and malty. Great balance. Hints of ginger.

T: Very very tasty. The sweet malts up front lead to a crunchy hop bite. Finishes strong too, slightly sweet. Bitter fruit malty hop goodness.

M: Smooth and well carbonated. Medium-thick mouthfeel.

D: Pretty high. It's strong, not entirely sessionable but hop heads could pull it off.

Man this is a really good beer. One of my favs. These hop oils linger, and they're well balanced in the mouth. This Victory company really knows what they're doing...

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

The carbonation in this beer seems to float, suspended in its amber red beauty, sort of like fine dust particles flying through the sun lit air of a warm childhood memory. Smells like spring time, and hops... mostly hops though... im sure they're either cascade or centennial... but im not sure, maybe a mix. A strong hop attack, all at once, all of a sudden. I get the malt flavor too, a bit tannic, but has a nice roasted, burnt flavor that I can totally deal with... In fact, I like that in this beer, the toasted malt complements the hop characteristics... A lot can be said on the floral, citrus, and grapefruit notes of the hops, but the main point of this beer is that its over balanced, hop wise. (note the name: hop devil) Mouthfeel is what you'd expect from the name, along with drinkability of an IPA. Good American IPA... ive seen nothing but good things out of Victory.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Thanks to mikereaser for the opportunity.

Pours a clear coppery amber. A goodly amount (~2 fingers) of off-white head falls leaving a good amount of lace. Obvious trails of bubbles make their way up through the brew.

Aroma is a smack of citrus hops when poured. Resinous. A little caramel malt in there as well. Pretty simple.

It takes less than half a second for the hop bitterness and flavor to dominate the initial sip. Flavor presents a stronger floral note than the aroma. Long lasting steady bitterness in the finish. The malt becomes more apparent through the course of a pint, while still . Due to warming or palate habituation to the bitter kick? Don't know, just know I like it.

Suitable body with lots of nice carbonation.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Aroma: The aroma has a strong citrus aroma with some maltiness in the back ground.

Appearance: The beer has a deep copper color, with tall creamy off white head.

Flavor: I can taste citrus from the hops, a prominent bitter bite, and a strong malt base.

Mouth feel: There is a bite of astringency of the back of the tongue. The body is medium light. The over all taste is clean with minimum after taste.

Overall Impression: A fine beer that embodies all that is good with American IPAs. The American hops show up in the aroma and taste. It is balance towards the hops, as expected and yet the malt is not over powered.

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Have had this IPA from both a bottle and a growler, since one of my friends lives right near the brewery in Downingtown, PA. This review was written during/after several glasses that I poured out of growler transported from Downingtown to State College, PA.

Lacy head, pours one to two fingers out of the growler - a bit more if you mistakenly pour too fast.

Orange amber color is nice, although I prefer unfiltered offerings and this one seems to be partially filtered.

Fruity/citrous overtones are present, in addition to the ever present hop scent, which makes this one of the better smelling beers that I consume on a regular basis.

Nice hoppy taste, but not overpowering, as in some IPA's or DIPA's. The citrous comes through only vaguely during consumption. This is clearly not a fruity wheat beer with hops added as an afterthought.

The aftertaste of this beer is most pleasing to my palate. It's not an overpowering hop flavor, but the hops are clearly evident long after you've put the glass down!

I could drink many glasses of this without batting an eye. I can't say that for a lot of other IPA's that I've tried. For an East Coast person that has limited access to West Coast IPA's, which are more numerous and generally higher in caliber, this beer is a winner. It ranks up there with Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA as my favorite "local" IPA. I also recommend Troegs Hopback Amber Ale.

4.68/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured into a Fuller's Glass.

Thin Lace, head sticks around for a few years.

Lovely color - orangeish amber.

smells like piney mountain orange trees.

Tastes like the name - hops, hops and citrusy goodness, with just enough malt backbone to help it along.

Aftertaste/mouthfeel are excellent - they stick around for a while and leaves a tingly tangly feeling on the tongue that is basically heaven.

One of my favorite IPA's, right along with DFH 90 and Green Flash!

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

Growler purchase at halftime. Pours a burnt oragne color onto my Ommegang glass. Nice 2 finger creamy head, little to no lacing.

Smells of bitter citrus.

Taste starts off sweet and citrusy but is quickly followed by hop bitterness.

Carbonation is good with medium body.

This is a bit to bitter for myself. I prefer a little more sweetness balanced with hops. If you like hops then this beer id for you.

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

12oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams glass. Pours with a nice head that is maintained at ~1/8" throughout the drink with a sanded golden appearance. The aroma has notes of grapefruit and pineapple from the hopps and really pulled me in. It's obvious a generous helping of hops are in this brew. I could smell this beer and Dogfish Head's 90 min IPA all day long. It just makes my mouth water.

The first thing that hits you upon the taste is the hop citrusy sweetness...almost overwhelming pineapple and grapefruit tartness. The finish is slightly dry with hop bitterness at the end. You have to be a hop head (which I defiantly am) to enjoy this beer. If you prefer sweeter European brews then you won't be as enthralled with this beer. Either this beer and DFH 90 IPA is always in my frige...they're neck and neck to me.

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

Actually found this at a local QFC here.. what a selection oh my! 12 oz. bottle, w/ an Enjoy by date of Jun 02 09. Poured into a tumbler at a 45 deg. angle.

- Very amber/copper-like color... foamy white head.. sticks around awhile! Clearish with some bubbly.

- Could smell the hops from a few feet away. Up close scent is bitter, floral, and pine. Some good caramel malt character there as well.

- Smooth malt backbone, very caramel and smooth.. creamy almost. Bright hop flare.. more of a bitter 'yowser' type of hop. Bit of a citrus zinger w/ a tad sour flare as well.

- Dry, bitter, sour... not so chewy..

- Easy to drink.. just might be a bit bitter and sour for some, but an overall drinkable ale.. great upfront balance.. malt fades.. leaves huge hop bite. Overall not too bad. Would buy others before this though.

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Served in a tulip from a bomber.

A: Nice amber color. I got about a finger of head with minimal lacing. Light foam with gentle carbination.

S: The nose is of honey and very faint flowers. Very light spice. Different from most IPA's I've had.

T: Quite smooth for an IPA. There is a hoppy bite but it is well balanced with some malt sweetness.

M: Light carbonation with a light to medium body. It has a dry finish.

D: I really like this. I find that I could really have more than one. It has a great balance of taste versus ABV.

Overall: Great beer! I'm a huge IPA fan but have never had this one. I will be adding this to my permanent rotation. Check it out!

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

Right off the bat, this beer, my first taste from Victory, completely took me by surprise. I expected another, basic, drinkable-but nothing special IPA that I could start my night with. Instead I found one of the better beers I have had at home in a while. I had been working at home all day and finally got to sit down to watch the second Final Four game in my chair and this stepped up to meet me.

Poured into a basic pint glass (actually an Oscar Blue's Gordon glass...) pours a nice, warm, rich, curious amber in color. This beer looked immediately delicious. It was virtually headless, just some slight lacing. Its head dissipated almost completely about 1/4 into this beer.

HopDevil's smell is enticing, and again surprisingly sweet.

This beer's taste is what caught me completely off guard. It was sweet, rich and buttery at the top. This beer hit my mouth and immediately made me sit up and give it the attention it deserves. The ending hopfeel was amazing. I am hop crazy right now (have been since last summer) and I found this to be one of the most balanced hop beers I have had in a while.

This IPA did not murder your mouth like some hop-fabulous beers do. While I appreciate those that do, but for this evening, this beer was the perfect beginning to my session. started me off strong, got my mouth ready for beer for the rest of the evening.

This is a very very drinkable IPA. I threw this into a mixed6 I got from Lucas. I regret that. I would have sat all night and enjoyed this beer that surprised me with its personality, balance and drinkability. This will definitely become one of my staples for session-type IPAs.

Completely recommend this beer. I will be chasing down a sixpack of this very soon.

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

Beer pours an amber color with a 1 finger head that fades quickly, some lacing present in glass. Upfront smell is of mild hops and slight malt. Taste of hops is good and is preceeded by slight malt taste, balanced but leaning more to the hop side, which is not a bad thing.

A good brew but not outstading. Hops do not flow together with the sweeter malt the is present as one might expect from a IPA with it's color and malt profile and tend to be more on the harsh end.

3.08/5  rDev -24.5%

I had this in bottles a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed. I figured I'd try it again while available on tap.

It's a bit dark in color for an IPA but I like it. The aroma is all business, nothing but hops. The taste is bitter but not an enjoyable bitter. A resiny, sharp, dirty, bitter. The Hop prescence is pronounced throughout the beer but I don't like it nearly as much as most IPA's. I love IPA's but this is downright funky. Their bittering hops must be high in the AA department, wow.

It's okay but I won't be ordering it again. There are much better options available.

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours a dark opaque amber into a Corsendonk goblet with a minimal head. An attractive brew.

Smell is subdued and primarily hops, but not as overpowering as some American IPA's.

Taste is very nice and a little surprising given the smell. It's hoppy and more hoppy and very dry. I just love it. It's right in my wheelhouse.

Mouthfeel is clean and dry - just what I'm looking for in an IPA.

Drinkability for me is fine.

An outstanding offering from Victory and one I can't think how I've overlooked. I'll certainly be back for more.

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. Expiration date on the bottle of June 02 09.

Small light tan head and a dark orange body. Malty sweetness and grapefruit in the aroma. Whole mess of pine in the taste. More bitterness and pine flavors than I expected it to have. Really good though.

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

On tap, this beer poured a dark orange color with a nice 1 finger head. There was plenty of lacing. It had an aroma of hops, pine, citrus, and malts. I found that the taste matched the smell. The hops were not overpowering. They actually complemented the malts very nicely. The carbonation was very nice as well. This was a good beer but I felt that it was lacking something. I would seek it out again on tap as it is a great session beer.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company