Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a slightly cloudy deep copper color with a thin off white head that leaves some lace on the sides. Aroma hits you with hops; pine and grapefruit, but there's also some malt in the background, a bit of caramel. Taste assaults the the taste buds with hops, much like the smell. Mouthfeel is a little thinner than I expected and is a bit dry in the finish, no lingering hops on the palette. Great brew, not as hoppy as some out there, but certainly very drinkable. I taste no alcohol and could easily drink to many of these.

3.03/5  rDev -25.7%

Received from Abankovich in trade. Thank you.

This beer pours a deep amber with one finger of white head. This is a deeper color than most other IPA's I've encountered. It does leave very good lacing on my pint glass. Hops are the only thing I smell on this beer, but that isn't really a good thing. The hop scent is rather muted and not as bold as I was expecting. I don't really pick up any other secondary scents as well. The taste is very sweet upfront with a bit of caramel before the hops take over and assert themselves, but the hops fizzle out rather quickly and leave a tea-bitterness for the rest of the beer. I am rather unsatisfied with each passing drink. The mouthfeel is rather thin, but there is quite a bit of astringency that normally isn't found on IPA's.

I am not sure what I am missing on this one, but I am rather let down.

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

Bought a sixer at the corner store . This was my first experience with a victory brew overall I came away satisfied. Beer poured into DFH pint glasss minimal head, no lacing. Nice hop and amalt aromas . Pours nice and dark for an IPA. Very hoppy first tasete balanced with some maltiness very dry bitter finish . mouthfeel is very thin. Was expecting somthing more inlight of the $11.00 I spent. However this would be an epic session beer if available at happy hour prices . Additionally I think that the abv is overrated in BA description.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Thanks to gkatsoris for this extra.

This devil pours a nice transparent amber/orange with good white head and nice lace. Smell is of spicy english hops. The taste follows with english like hop flavors, very spicy hops as opposed to the mouth ripping west coast citrus hops. This is a very balanced IPA with malts defenitely making their presence known. The mouthfeel is kind of thin and watery but still above average. Drinkability is good, very balanced. Overall this is a good IPA but I prefer a slightly different style, more often found on this west coast. But don't get me wrong, I would drink this beer over many other IPAs out there. Great brew.

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

Bought this beer on a whim because I like my hops.

It poured a nice clear golden brown, almost honey color with a thick white head.

The scent wasn't too strong with any flavor. Slightly hoppy aroma.

The taste was a little watery but you could tell that it's an IPA.

Mouthfeel is nice for an IPA. Not too overwhelming in any particular area. Not too watery and everything fits into place.

I could see myself drinking a few of these at a time. Good session beer.

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass, best before April 14 08 stamped onto the side of the bottle.

A: Pours a very appetizing dark and clear mahogany or any other looking kind of finished wood. Pours a rocky off white head one inch thick with a promisingly sticky looking bubble down but the head disappears entirely in a few minutes. Great sticky lacing now that I've had a chance to drink this beer though and what saves the appearance along with the nice color on the beer.

S: I was expecting more of a hop explosion but this one is a bit more balanced, don't get me wrong the hops are still there in spades but a nice dextrose malt aroma keeps things all nicely balanced. Not as fresh and clean smelling as I would have hoped for though

T/MF: Again not at all as hoppy I was expecting not as citrusy and juicy, nutty and piny to be sure, not sweet, not overly bitter but still leaves a cloying drying sensation on the back of the tongue and some additional prickly malt bitterness on the roof of the mouth, exceedingly complex but tastes and feels a little flat and watery in the mouth.

D: To be honest I was a bit disappointed in this beer, especially at 10.99 a six pack, maybe this one suffers from being close to the expiration date but as it stands this beer seems only average to the lush array of other American IPAs out there.

3.15/5  rDev -22.8%

A nice looking beer. Robust amber color with thin white head.

Aroma and flavor just hops and not much else. I'll admit IPA's aren't really my thing so it's hard to accurately rate this beer. I guess it's well crafted for what it is.

Mouthfeel is smooth to start, with a biting hop finish.

Overall impression.... eh.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

On cask at the Victory Brew-pub in Downingtown, PA.

A nice dark red with a finger of nice, off-white head. Decent lacing.

Hoppy smell, very flowerly.

Very balanced taste. Up front is a large, floral taste with some malt backbone. Finishes very dry with a nice hop flavor.

Good mouthfeel, very light.

Greeat drinkability, a beer you can drink all night.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Victory HopDevil Ale pours a light copper, crystal clear with a nice head. I smell nice caramel malt paired up with citrus and resin hops hinting at plenty of bitterness. A sharp bitterness comes first in the flavor followed by a lot of spicy, citrusy hop flavor. The malt sweetness sticks its head out for just a second, but is instantly covered by more bitterness. Overall, a nice solid IPA, makes me want to spend more time in Downingtown.

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at the Fox and Barrel in Malvern, PA. Poured into an imperial pint glass. Poured a copper brown, with little head. Smelled of dry citrusy hops. Taste was also dry, bitter, citrusy hops. Not very much malt presence at all. Needs a little bit more balance.

I was really excited to see this beer mixed in with a rather pedestrian selection (pretty much all BMC), and was glad to try it.

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a very clear rust shade of amber with a slighty off-white 3/4" head.

The aroma is more of an orange, rather than citrusy-hops.

Very well balanced and not overly bitter. Sweeter than was expected. A sweet, fruity, orange taste in place of the hop explosion that I expected from the name.

If looking for serious hops try Stone Ruination or S.Adams Imperial Pilsner (if you can still find one); but, otherwise this is a tasty brew that I will gladly pruchase again.

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

This Hop Devil pours a coppery red color, and with a little help, forms a nice 1 finger medium bodied head. There is some nice lacing that looks like ink blots forming down the side of the glass as I sip.

The beer smells delicate with some hints of orange. It tastes bitter. Lemon a grapefruit dominate. Malt is hard to detect, but I taste some caramel in the background. To me, this beer does not have enough character to back up the smooth bitterness. It leaves a dry metallic sensation on my tongue. The mouthfeel is a tad thin and slightly under carbonated.

I will have no problem enjoying the rest of my 6 pack, but I had higher expectations of this beer. I'll give it another try in the future.

4.08/5  rDev 0%

Hop-devil indeed it is!!
A-Amber/reddish color, with a decent head and good retention, yeilding good lacing
S-Hopps,hopps,hopps and some malt hints hidden.
T,M-Very hoppy taste, slight malt and bitterness.
Very smooth IPA
D-Very drinkable(although im quite partial to IPAs)

3.63/5  rDev -11%

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass.
A: Nice clean copper color, hinging on amber. A full 1.5 inches of whipped, off-white head with a couple frothy bubbles. Low and slow carbonation visible. Sheets of clingy lacing.
S: Warm and muted citrusy scents mingle with some oily hops and caramel malts, all at once. Nice mixture, good combination.
T: Citrus and oily hops with a bit of zest hit the palate up front. This gives way to some smoother malts, but they don't quite get there. The finish is hoppy, much like the first taste. Overall, good and satisfying, but relatively constant and unambitious.
M: Smooth and slippery, actually. No prominent alcohol-ness, which is nice.
D: Pretty good. I could easily drink these back to back.

3.63/5  rDev -11%

Appearance - The body is an orange-amber color with a nice haze to it. The head is white and frothy with some good stamina.

Smell - It has the scent of smooth hops, candy and spice.

Taste - Strong hoppy goodness with a hint of apricot.

Mouthfeel - The texture is a bit coarse. However, the way it rubs my mouth actually helps to bring out some of the flavor.

~ This is a better than average brew without a doubt. I recommend to those who enjoy a good hop filled beer to take a stab at the Devil.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Crystal clear copper elixir, with a nice 1" creamy head. The head rapidly disipates to a thin layer with lacing on the sides.

S: Hops don't assault my olfactories as much as I like for an IPA, though the label reads hopback rather than dryhopping, so could explain the lack of aroma -- more muted than in-your-face.

T: Nice and bitter. Well balanced against just the right amount of maltiness. A little light on the hop flavor, though. Probably the hopback vs. dry-hopping thing again.

M: Just the right amount of chewiness here. Not thin and bodiless like some of the IPAs I've had lately.

Definitely a buy-again.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

Rich copperish amber pour with a nice offwhite head. Light fresh, somewhat unique hop smell with some light sweetness in there too. Fairly sweet and mild for an IPA with some fresh, grassy hops. Could be slightly more flavorful, and really isn't that bold at all. One of the milder IPAs I've had and I'm not fanatical about insane amounts of hops. A friendly, easy, good IPA, but surely nothing worth a top 2-3% of beers ever...

3.63/5  rDev -11%

A - Slightly hazy, dark orange/amber colour. Poured into a pint glass with a couple of centimetres of off white head.
S - Some citrus notes, a bit of earthy woodiness. A touch of grainy maltiness.
T - Quite similar to the smell but leaning towards the malty side of things, some caramel also in there.
M - Medium bodied, slightly sticky, fairly low carbonation.
D - A nice enough beer but my bottle seems to be lacking the hoppiness that others mentioned. It's tasty nonetheless and admittedly has traveled half way around the world in not so ideal conditions. I imagine a fresh bottle would be awesome!

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

A-this bad ass looking bottle could only be more awesome if it was put under a black light,OK on to whats inside...this one really looks like a winner,it pours a beautiful amber,with two fingers of egg shell colored head that looks soft as a pillow,yet hangs strong till the last drop,leaving my ILLINI pint glass covered in even stickiness from top to bottom

S-citrus,lemon and lime,with a earthy vibe,maybe a slight banana presence

T-the hop devil is definitely in charge of this IPA,it has strong grassy notes,like fresh cut yard clippings put through a fruit juicer,with touches of citrus,malts are an after thought but not forgoten,adding some sweetness thru out

M-surprisingly thin bodied(not a bad thing),the constant attack on the taste buds takes all attention away from the fact that its thinner than some others of the same style(also helps the drinkability)

D-considering the fact that I feel that my tongue has just been violated and at the same time I wish I had one more of these little devils,I have to say HELL YEAH!!

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

It was a little difficult to take it serious based on its name...I thought this would just be some second rate IPA but was quite impressed. One of your darker IPAs with more than a fare share of hops and lot more character than that of the lighter IPAs. Very solid feel in the mouth, it surrounds the tongue and attacks from all directions.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

This beer poured a copper color with a very foamy off white head. It had great lacing and head retention. The smell was a great hoppy smell. Citrus and floral. Great IPA taste. The mouthfeel was medium body with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a very drinkable IPA.

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Near-perfect looking IPA, two finger off-white creamy head. Tons of lacing. Golden orange and quite clear.

S - Slightly piney, earthy aroma. Metallic notes present. Lemon undertones. Not that appetizing.

T - Much more complex than the nose would lead you to think. Slightly grapefruity, lemony hop profile... finishes slightly dry and earthy but definitely a malt presence. Do I taste a smokey malt? Metallic undertones. I like the finish an awful lot. Reminds of how I thought beer tasted/smelled as a kid.

M - Slightly heavy bodied with a good presence of carbonation. Knocked down from a 5 because of the sparkling factor.

D - This is almost sessionable, but the higher ABV and metallic affect have thrown off the drinkability for me. Since I only have one to sample, I think I'll try this again at a later date.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

I've been slowly picking up Victory beers now knowing that I want to try and enjoy them over time, HopDevil didn't let me down.

Freshness date on the bottle was Apr 14 08, so I'm glad I got this one when I did...a bit old however.

Pours a nice copper that has some dark orange highlights when held to the light. A big off white head climbed up and mounted the sides of my clean pint glass with uneven bubble sizes that formed small mountains as it subsided and started to lace down the edges. Smells of citrus immediately rose up out of this beer; grapefruit and oranges with hints of bready malt. This beer has a really stiff malt backbone, which I really like with this level of hops. Sweet and bready malts abound but quickly taken over by citrus, black pepper, and some green grass notes. Finish is lingering with much the same...sweet malts and spicey hops and a slight warming near the end of the fade. The mouthfeel is just smooth for the AA's present, really drinks quite well.

Yet again I've been very pleased with another Victory brew. Hop heads rejoice and give thanks.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Served on-tap at a bar in Southwestern Connecticut, poured into a pint glass.

The appearance of HopDevil is a dark tone, cloudy, and a one finger head, very inviting.

Smell is kind of complex with some spices present as well as some sweet tones that also hit the nose.

Mouthfeel is very solid, attacking the different taste buds with some hops and a well balanced IPA.

Drinkability is very good, this is a great american IPA.

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear bronze color with an off-white head. Aromas of earthy hops and caramel malt. Flavor of hops first, then close behind is the sweet and so slightly roasty malt that makes this almost a New England/ U.K. style IPA, except that while it is not devilishly hoppy, it is more hopped than that. Medium body and a well-balanced hop/malt finish; earthy, slightly bitter and somewhat woodsy. I had this cask-conditioned once at the brewery and it was worth the road trip.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company