Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

HopDevil (cool name, and cool bottle) pours a deep redish-bronze to amber with a one finger head that recedes to a thin soapy film. A bit of lacing sticks to the glass, and stays put.

The nose is full of grassy, musty, floral, and citrus (particularly grapefruit) notes. I dig the outdoorsy smell going on here....like after it rains in the spring. It smells...zesty and fresh.

Oh yeah! That's goood! Grassy vegetal sweetness (like flowers maybe?) predominates along with a fresh mouthfeel. Then, the sweetness turns to bitter grapefruit mid-sip followed by a bitter alcohol punch. I can taste quite a bit of malt for an IPA....and for me that is a good thing. IMO this is a very balanced beer (for the style at least).

I really like the nature-y fresh zest and the sweet and sour combo on the tongue. For me, this is very very drinkable since it has that hop heavy kcik that I crave, but the sour pucker is not at all overwhelming even towards the end of the glass! I could session quite a few of these babies!

pmcadamis, Aug 25, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -13.5%

Hop Devil Ale pours a hazy orange with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. The aroma is fairly mild and hoppy, citrusry. The flavor isn't the hoppiest and the balance with the malt is so so. A decent beer, but there are a lot better IPA's out there these days.

Drew966, Aug 24, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

apperance: pour a orange/ copper hue w/ small off white head. For a small head it last throughout the whole beer leaving a good lace.

smell: I scented a lovely piney hop w/ a hint of grapefruit.

taste: Started off slightly sweet w/ a nice bitter aftertaste that lingered for some time on my tongue.

mouthfeel: Really nice body from light to medium w/ a lively carbonation feel. The texture was a little dry as expected, but left a small hint of alcohol on tongue. Yum.

drinkability: Smooth, crisp, and dry all at the same time. The warmer the beer got the better flavor it had.

Overall, this is a really good beer. I enjoy drinking a six and will buy it again.

GimpyCane, Aug 24, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Ok, so I've been revisiting some of my old favorites recently, and I've found that I've been able to appreciate a lot of them more and more. I've just gotten a Victory variety case, and review of Prima Pils, HopDevil, Lager, and GM are coming right along, some not for the first time.

HopDevil is a beauty of a beer, with a very creamy, very light tan head that has some huge bubbles. It falls pretty quickly, which hurts it a bit, but the sticky lacing helps to make up for it. The beer is a bright golden amber. Smell is strong of sweet caramel and a lovely hop combination. The hops are initially biting and bitter on the tongue, and then the beer gets smooth in a very nice way that is so much fun to repeat. The hops really build in the back of your throat, perhaps slowing consumption a bit. I end up liking this more each time!

mjc410, Aug 22, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

12oz bottle -> Goblet
'enjoy by 9.17.06' stamped next to the devilhop.

Pours a semi-hazy dark amber orange bordering on crossing over to the red, with an offwhite one inch head that settles calmly into a thin layer of suds. Sticky lacing clings to the glass.

Smells of grapefruit citrusy hops dominate the nose, with an underlying malt texture.

Yummy hop blast with a solid full caramel malt back. A dry light bitter aftertaste that the hop lovers seek. This beer taste great. Let it warm or the malts will be missed. Very balanced while living up to the hopdevil name

Medium bodied full feeling mouthfeel. Smooth, smooth, smooth.

A very drinkable hop lovers dream. Not overly dry with just the right amount of bitterness.

beerphan, Aug 20, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a gorgeous burnt orange/copper color with a short head that recedes to a thin layer of foam. Plenty of lacing. Smells floral/citrusy with a substabtial plum-like sweetness. The taste is all hops upfront with a strong dark fruit malty finish. Mouthfeel is tingly. Excellent beer. Almost comes off as a smaller American Barleywine.

irishtimepiece, Aug 19, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

Picked up a bottle at Brookline Liqour Mart in Brighton

A: Copper hue. Poured with a vigorous head that disappated to less than a quarter of an inch. Left a nice lacing on glass. Brilliant clarity.

S: Piney intense floral aroma with a little fruity citrus thrown in there to boot.

T: Ardent hoppy flavor. Piney, cloyingly hoppy bitter taste up front and carried through to the end. A slight malt base is hiding out behind all those hops but comes nowhere near balancing out the aggressive hoppy taste of this beer and that is fine with me.

M: Moderate body slightly resiny. Hoppy astringency makes this a thirst quenching brew.

D: Probably one of the best examples of an American IPA out there. An acquired taste but once acquired you will keep coming back for more.

Nipitato, Aug 19, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -13%

Single 12oz bottle purchased from Charles Street Liquors in Boston. Bottle two weeks past "Enjoy By" date on label. Pours a beautiful dark amber, with slight head that laced well. Light carbonation. Medium aroma of hops. Full, somewhat warming, bitter hoppy taste - but not overly complex, and not as fruity as I prefer in this type of beer. This beer was enjoyed after a 20 minute walk home from the store on a warm night, so perhaps it should have been consumed a few degrees cooler - although I'm generally a fan of cellar-temperature beers. Nice beer, but not one that I will necessarily seek out again any time soon. Would be interested in trying it on tap.

sstackho, Aug 18, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

I poured this into my pint glass, and it was a burgundy brown color. Real big, full head, which lasted a long time. I didn't think this had a huge nose, but it was slightly hoppy and malty.

The first thing you notice when you taste it though, really the only thing, is HOPS. This is an aggressively hopped beer. Loads of big, bitter hops up front. There is a bit of malt in the background, which slightly mellows the hops, but only slightly. The slighly biscuity flavor comes through after the malt. The maltiness comes through as it warms, as I highly recommend letting it sit for a few. I took my first few sips when it was still too cold, and there was not much balance. Through out there is a hop essence, zesty almost, that coats the mouth that hop heads will love.

I think if you are going to pair this with food, make sure it is something that can stand up to the flavors. I was eating some thai food that almost held up, but not quite.
Overall, not for the faint of heart beer drinkers, but hop heads, will dig this beer. I did.

tboom29, Aug 16, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a hazy brown/red, thick off white head forms, lots of lacing and good retention, head lasts until the end. Smell is sweet and malty, lots of toffee, but with nice floral/pine hops, good balance. Taste is sweet toffee, some grains, lots of floral hops, little bit of pine, clean bitter finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation. Great IPA, superb balance, easy drinking. Thanks for the bottle DrJay/or Dan.

Viggo, Aug 14, 2006

Had on-tap at the Happy Gnome in St.Paul. It's a deep brown color, with an off-white head that fades. Looks tempting. Nose is all hops. Taste is malty with pine and a strong hop finish. Mouthfeel is nice and drinkability is up there. Overall a nice brew.

shivtim, Aug 14, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Much thanks to Raider for this one.

Appearance
Almost clear dark amber ale with slight coppery and brown tinge. A thin off white head formed on the pour which faded into scant lacings. Finely carbonated.

Aroma
Grapefruit (citrus and pine) predominates overtop of floral, bready, and caramel scents.

Taste
Sweet floral and bready flavours with caramel are almost immediately smothered in a powerful grapefruit flavour from the hops. The taste ends in an almost tea like or grapefruit peal like astringency.

Mouthfeel
This is a wonderfully balanced and bold example of the american IPA style. It has a substantial malt body which is wonderfully offset by the powerful yet not too bitter hoppiness. The carbonation aids in delivering this wonderful flavour contrast and combination.

Drinkability
This is a very drinkable ale, and due to its balance and bold flavour the alcohol content sneaks by unnoticed. This is not a beer for those faint of hops and probably isnt a great IPA to introduce a hop novice to. If you like hops, however, this is a great beer, and it goes down very easy. Ill be drinking this one again.

demcorhip, Aug 13, 2006

12 oz brown bottle. A couple of weeks past the best by date - too bad.

Appearance is an auburn color with decent head and fairly light carbonation.

Smell is a nice hoppy, citrus aroma with maybe a hint of caramel.

Taste is malt and caramel, then hop flavor, citrusy, then finishes with a fair bit of hops bitterness and a grapefruit rind aftertaste. Just balanced enough to not be an unpleasant, harsh bitterness. Still probably too much for some, though.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, nice feeling with the light carbonation.

Overall, a very drinkable IPA that is pretty hoppy but still balanced enough that I would drink it regularly, and often, if it was more available here. I would also like to try it when fresher.

AaronHomoya, Aug 11, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -8.6%

A-Pours a rich, clear amber with a decent off-white head.

S-Not as much going on here as I would expect. Light floral hops, with an even lighter slightly sweet maltiness.

T-Leads off with a slight sweet malt, right before the hoppy bitters kicks in. Not exactly a perfect balance, but ineresting none the less.

M-Medium bodied, dry, and light carbonation.

D-This is a fairly drinkable beer. If you enjoy a moderately hopped up brew, than this is worth a try.

dansm, Aug 11, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -13%

12 oz bottle.

Deep, clear amber color. Frothy tan head.
To be honest, I didn't pick up much of anything on the aroma..quite odd actually, considering the taste is very hop-driven. Light caramel malts and a touch of hops, that's it.
The taste is definitely more bold, with an earthy malt presence and a thick blanket of floral hops.
I'll probably take hell for this, but I think HopDevil is certainly one of the more overrated IPAs out there. I've tried it a number of times and I've yet to be blown away by it. Worth a shot, absolutely. Near the top of it's class? Not in my book..

hero27, Aug 10, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

This beer is a nice dark amber, and has a captivating aroma. The hops are extremely present in the first smell. The first taste is quite overwhelming, given the elevated IBUs, but subsequent mouthfuls proof to be less intense. Eventually the beer provides a very pleaseant mouthfeel, and extremely satisfying taste. Not for the weak of heart, but a must for any hophead.

beerdeity, Aug 09, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On-tap pint poured at Henry's tavern in Portland, OR.

A: Glowing red and orange, like a sunset, with a pillowy/spongy-looking tan head, approx. 1 finger high. Very clear with little carbonation.

S: Not as big a hop nose as I'd hoped for. There is a subtle but good smelling floral and pine hop aroma present. However, I found the smell slightly musty and hinting on metallic.

T: Decent taste, but seems an imbalance toward bitterness. Hop portion of the flavor comes off as sort of flat or chalky. The malt that is present gives a very light sweetness. Tastes weaker than I'd expected, more of an "imp" than a "devil"...a Pale Ale?

M: Mouthfeel is medium. Has a good clean finish, but with more lingering bitterness. I also found this to be quite dry. Does have a creaminess and full flavors which I like.

D: Yes, a good beer. I like a more balanced IPA than this one so I would probably not make this beer my first choice. Drinkable but I've had better - this surprises me because of the fine reviews I've read here & elsewhere. Will have at least once more before making a final judgement.

msubulldog25, Aug 08, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured a clear, bright orange-brown with a medium off-white head. Good retention.

Nice American IPA aroma consisting of pine, fruit and rather sweet malt. My one gripe about the beer would be that the smells are perhaps a little too subtle.

Lightly sweet malt taste quickly gives way to a flavor implosion. Fruit flavors (though not overly citrus) mix with a nice bouquet of hops, spruce and pine with a pleasing semi-dry bitter aftertaste. It's a very interesting mix and order of familiar flavors presented in a unique and great tasting brew.

Very well carbonated and very drinkable.

I decided that tonight was IPA night and what better way to start? This fine American IPA features a cleverly crafted devil made from hops on the bottle. I look forward to finishing the six-pack!

Estarrio, Aug 05, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Label - I have to say it is my all time favorite , I love the picture of the HOP with the eyes, Love the flame colors behind the Devil. This beer to date has been nearly my all time favorite, and ironically, the first time I had it I had no idea how good it was. This beer (at this time) is my (largely unqualified) bench mark for IPAs

A - The is a great looking beer. Dark red bronze look to it. Big head upon pour, nice lacing. Ive swirled this one a few times.

S - Smells like hops as it should

T - Hoppy, some sweetness to it. You taste the booze on almost every swig. I have a great respect for this brew. It was actually the beer that moved me to the APAs and the IPAs.

M - Full , Creamy- but not overdone

D - Clearly a session beer, Ive proved it many times. I think this is a quality beer

Last point - I had this beer at the pub the night of the 10 year anniversary. Nothing like the bottle. I need to get there again to verify my suspicion that this beer is better in the bottle.

jlmjl, Aug 04, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

Had a bottle at Hopleaf bar in Chicago, served in a pint glass.

Orange, redish hue in color, cloudy with a off white small head.

Intense hoppy aroma with citrus and spices. Slight bready malt sense.

The taste is very bold, the hops knock you over( in a good way).
Slight citrus flavors with nice spices.For how bold the hops are, is still a nice well balenced beer. Sweet malts , grasses in the finish.

This a very good beer, but you have to love the intense hops. Otherwise you might feel they are overwhelming. Not me I love it!

brushpig, Aug 02, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -18.4%

I've been wanting to try more victory brews, and I was looking forward to this one for a few weeks:

Poured into a pint glass, huge head over caramel colored beer. looks magnificent. I let the beer sit, and the head subsides slightly.
I bring it to my nose. Not picking up too much, just some fresh hops. First eager drink. Wow. suprised to say i did'nt get to much out of this, not very hoppy in my opinion. I don't know what most people think of this, but for my money, this would be an exceptional APA, but comes nowhere near my personal expectations for an IPA. I find the mouthfeel to be very nice, and I do think the drinkability on this beer is mighty high. It's a delicious beer, I just don't think it fits with the style that it is representing.

dancinwillie, Aug 02, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Brown bottle, no date, poured into pint glass

A- 3/4 inch thick head with great staying power, nearly the entire head stayed thourgh 4 minutes, half way throught there was still a thin coat, great lacing all the way down the glass.

S-green hop, mild malt and yeast.

T-Green hops, green hops, green hops, some malt in the back. not incredibly well balanced but this is still one good beer.

M-Medium body coats mouth, real nice

D-good but green hop may wear on me, would need to switch to a milder taste like say chewing on a hop.

jackorain, Jul 30, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

This beer poured a dark copper color, very clear and was topped by a fluffy off-white head. A nice lace is left on the side of the glass as the head slowly recedes. The nose has grapefruit, a little spicy pepper, some pine, and light caramel on the finish. I’m not sure of the hop bill, but I think I catch some Centennial in the aroma. The taste is more balanced that I expected. I get a dark caramel first followed by grapefruit rind. The spiciness is still there too. Just the slightest heat in the finish. Slick, dry mouth feel, nice drinakbiklity.

carln26, Jul 28, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

My bottle of Hopdevil was poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.

The beer poured a hazy copper with a thick 2" of medium sized bubbled head. Great lacing stuck to the side of the glass. The smell was the expected hops. Hopdevil is a hoppy IPA, and a well established one (I try not to read other people's reviews, but at the time of this review this beer had been reviewed over 800 times). I found the hoppiness to lean towards the piney/spicey side with some, but just a little citrus tones. The texture developed an excellent creaminess as the beer warmed. The mouthfeel is medium and the 6.7% is hidden and a way drinkable beer. This is a solid IPA one to have when its available.

Notes: We brought these out to Planet of the Ales, and I enjoyed the ones I drank while camping there. It's a very solid American IPA, but as the style has grown in popularity, better renditions have been developed.

edmundfitzoil, Jul 28, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

I used a clone recipe of this to brew a batch of IPA, so I was curious to taste what the real thing is like!

Appearance: ruddy amber color, good head, not much lacing but possibly because I was forced to reuse the glass (waitress didn't bring me a new one, and she was hard enough to track down to order)

Smell: lots and lots of hops, with a grapefruity character

Taste: again, grapefruit hops (though not as grapefruity as smuttynose), very dry, with a touch of caramel.

Mouthfeel: much lighter mouthfeel than I expected, I would have preferred a little more.

Drinkability: good, but on the whole (and it's great to be able to say this!) I think I liked the version I brewed better!

hunteraw, Jul 28, 2006