Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

A - Slightly hazy, dark orange/amber colour. Poured into a pint glass with a couple of centimetres of off white head.
S - Some citrus notes, a bit of earthy woodiness. A touch of grainy maltiness.
T - Quite similar to the smell but leaning towards the malty side of things, some caramel also in there.
M - Medium bodied, slightly sticky, fairly low carbonation.
D - A nice enough beer but my bottle seems to be lacking the hoppiness that others mentioned. It's tasty nonetheless and admittedly has traveled half way around the world in not so ideal conditions. I imagine a fresh bottle would be awesome!

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

A-this bad ass looking bottle could only be more awesome if it was put under a black light,OK on to whats inside...this one really looks like a winner,it pours a beautiful amber,with two fingers of egg shell colored head that looks soft as a pillow,yet hangs strong till the last drop,leaving my ILLINI pint glass covered in even stickiness from top to bottom

S-citrus,lemon and lime,with a earthy vibe,maybe a slight banana presence

T-the hop devil is definitely in charge of this IPA,it has strong grassy notes,like fresh cut yard clippings put through a fruit juicer,with touches of citrus,malts are an after thought but not forgoten,adding some sweetness thru out

M-surprisingly thin bodied(not a bad thing),the constant attack on the taste buds takes all attention away from the fact that its thinner than some others of the same style(also helps the drinkability)

D-considering the fact that I feel that my tongue has just been violated and at the same time I wish I had one more of these little devils,I have to say HELL YEAH!!

3.8/5  rDev -6.6%

It was a little difficult to take it serious based on its name...I thought this would just be some second rate IPA but was quite impressed. One of your darker IPAs with more than a fare share of hops and lot more character than that of the lighter IPAs. Very solid feel in the mouth, it surrounds the tongue and attacks from all directions.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

This beer poured a copper color with a very foamy off white head. It had great lacing and head retention. The smell was a great hoppy smell. Citrus and floral. Great IPA taste. The mouthfeel was medium body with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a very drinkable IPA.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Near-perfect looking IPA, two finger off-white creamy head. Tons of lacing. Golden orange and quite clear.

S - Slightly piney, earthy aroma. Metallic notes present. Lemon undertones. Not that appetizing.

T - Much more complex than the nose would lead you to think. Slightly grapefruity, lemony hop profile... finishes slightly dry and earthy but definitely a malt presence. Do I taste a smokey malt? Metallic undertones. I like the finish an awful lot. Reminds of how I thought beer tasted/smelled as a kid.

M - Slightly heavy bodied with a good presence of carbonation. Knocked down from a 5 because of the sparkling factor.

D - This is almost sessionable, but the higher ABV and metallic affect have thrown off the drinkability for me. Since I only have one to sample, I think I'll try this again at a later date.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

I've been slowly picking up Victory beers now knowing that I want to try and enjoy them over time, HopDevil didn't let me down.

Freshness date on the bottle was Apr 14 08, so I'm glad I got this one when I did...a bit old however.

Pours a nice copper that has some dark orange highlights when held to the light. A big off white head climbed up and mounted the sides of my clean pint glass with uneven bubble sizes that formed small mountains as it subsided and started to lace down the edges. Smells of citrus immediately rose up out of this beer; grapefruit and oranges with hints of bready malt. This beer has a really stiff malt backbone, which I really like with this level of hops. Sweet and bready malts abound but quickly taken over by citrus, black pepper, and some green grass notes. Finish is lingering with much the same...sweet malts and spicey hops and a slight warming near the end of the fade. The mouthfeel is just smooth for the AA's present, really drinks quite well.

Yet again I've been very pleased with another Victory brew. Hop heads rejoice and give thanks.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Served on-tap at a bar in Southwestern Connecticut, poured into a pint glass.

The appearance of HopDevil is a dark tone, cloudy, and a one finger head, very inviting.

Smell is kind of complex with some spices present as well as some sweet tones that also hit the nose.

Mouthfeel is very solid, attacking the different taste buds with some hops and a well balanced IPA.

Drinkability is very good, this is a great american IPA.

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear bronze color with an off-white head. Aromas of earthy hops and caramel malt. Flavor of hops first, then close behind is the sweet and so slightly roasty malt that makes this almost a New England/ U.K. style IPA, except that while it is not devilishly hoppy, it is more hopped than that. Medium body and a well-balanced hop/malt finish; earthy, slightly bitter and somewhat woodsy. I had this cask-conditioned once at the brewery and it was worth the road trip.

What a great beer! Matches its commercial description exactly. And I especially like the lack of fruitiness which I've grown to dislike in very hoppy beers. Poured with a nice head which lasted for quite a while and plenty of lace. Very aromatic hoppy maltiness in the nose. Good mouth if perhaps just the barest hint of being thin. Intense savory flavor is all the aroma is but so much more. Quite satisfying yet continuosly intriguing. Excellent finish.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Considering the name I was expecting more hops, but that said it ended up not being too much of a dissapointment. It was one of my last beers on a South Carolina/Georgia tour and it was a great way to finish.

A: Poured clear, slightly dark amber color. Good head that retained extremely well.

S: A good smell with one of the better hop smells shining through. A slight smell of caramel seemed to be present.

T: Great. Was expecting an overpowering taste and at first was dissapointed (more surprised) after I got over that it was a quick jump to the top of the hill. A good malty taste made the balancing complete on the fine IPA.

M: A smoother taste. The hops provided the right bite and aftertaste.

D: Very good, I switched off this to try something new. Wish I had not, will definately be seeing this beer again!

In summary not one for an extreme hop head, maybe what a hop head would drink when they want a lighter beer for a change.

4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Had a sixtel on tap on my draft system poured into a SA glass.

Clear with a slight haze,coppery color,dense/creamy off-white head with execellent retention slowly decends into a nice pillowy layer. Lots of carbination as well.

A good assertive piney/resiny aroma up front,very clean and inviting,carmelized maltiness with slightly burnt notes and a nice toastness in there also. Citrusy hop aromas in the background.

Strong hop tastes, lots of pine with a leafyness,as grapefruityness comes through towards the finish. Excellent balance With a sweet carmell maltiness.

A good full mouthfeel with a twangy feel. On of the first ipa's iv'e ever had and still one of the best. Without a doubt the most drinkable as well. The one never lasts long at my house. An absoulte must try ipa, has to be a classic.

3.7/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured a copper color with a white head that lasted throughout. The nose is hops with some pine and citrus. The beer is smooth and the hops really come through. Very bitter towards the end. I enjoyed it but I don't think I could have more than a couple in one sitting because it's so dry at the end. Not as hoppy as I thought and the bitterness killed it for me. Wanted more hops, less bite.

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%

Pouring the beer into my pint glass, the beer pous clean and smooth with not much head.

The smell of hops and citrus is apparent fresh, smells light.

The beer has a full good IPA taste and it tastes great.

It has a VERY smooth taste in your mouth. Very crisp, I love it.

I really like this IPA, I will definately be looking for it again.

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A-Pours a hazy amber with a nice creamy head and nice lacing.

S-Lotsa piney hops but also a nice malt balance in the nose.

T-A wonderful hop-malt balance. Lots of piney, resiny flavor but a very solid malt backbone.

M-Very smooth. Hoppy bitterness lingers on the tongue, in a good way.

D-Very much so.

A long overdue review as this is (pretty close to) my hometown beer. This was the first local craft brew I discovered, many years ago. We still enjoy it, though there are so many choices it's not a weekly staple anymore. I was amazed at how well it holds up to a "critical" evaluation. While there is a very strong hoppiness, it is surprisingly well balanced.

3.45/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours amber with almost a touch of orange in it & a nice head. The smell, through my bad nose, is pretty subtle. A little hops, not much else.

Taste is...fine. Maybe I'm being too hard on this beer, but after having several other really, really hoppy & good IPAs & double IPAs recently, this one's average. Perhaps it's the marketing. I can't think but something named "Hop Devil" should have a little more kick to it. It does go down a lot easier than the slam-bang-kick-you-in-the-hops beers, which often take me an hour or so to down.

A decent enough beer, but there are several hop-head beers out there I'd rather have in my glass.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Purchased at Market Cross Pub in Carlisle, PA.

I have had this beer before but never really took the time to taste and enjoy the beer like i did this time. It pours a nice crystalline amber color and a good amount of head. A good minute or two elapses before the head is gone and it leaves a nice white lace.

S-wafts of hops fill my nostrils and i can feel my nose hairs tingle.

T-A bitter taste but thats an IPA.

D-i know lots of people love to drink this as a six pack or a variety pack but like i have always said im not an IPA guy and i just wanted to add it to my collection.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

This beer poured a cloudy brown with a thick, frothy, tan head - some lacing. The aroma is malty and sweet with some hops characteristics noticeable but not bold. The taste is malty and quite hoppy at the same time. The hops are the shining star, but there is a very nice malty sweetness that balances this beer quite well. The mouthfeel is medium but textured. This is a great example of a highly drinkable, balanced brew

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%

Short Version:
Outstanding brew with forward hops, remarkable balance, and smooth drinkability that's hard to beat. A bit too balanced for a true IPA in my opinion.

Details:
This beer was a nice surprise. Picked it up at Ingles as part of a mix-n-match 6 packer. Great new system they have there. HUGE thumbs up to Ingles.

Attractive bottle with clever hop-flower looking like a friendly devil. I expected an insane one-dimensional hop bomb. I was pleasantly wrong.

This beer poured a semi-cloudy copper-amber color. Bold 3-finger creamy yellowish-tan head with notable endurance. Finally dropped to a thin film with active volcanic island activity after several minutes.

Strong hops on the nose with maybe some mild citrus notes. Some subdued herbalness perhaps. Very fresh smelling.

I get an earthy/dirty hop flavor with remarkable malt balance. Hops win... but not by as much as you'd expect. Strong but not overwhelming. Appetizing and delicious. Bright fruity esters on the back palate but not sweet. Can't quite place them.

Body is on the robust side of medium. Again, lacey and fresh in the glass and on the palate. Label calls this an India Pale Ale but it's a bit too balanced in my opinion to fit that bill. I expect my IPA to be bold and lopsided.

The finish is soft and fragrant with a pleasant maltiness that outlasts the hops.

Drinkability is through the roof.

This bottle is dated Jan 9, 2008 so a tad past it's prime. I'd give a case of about anything to try one of these fresh on draft. If it's this good a month past due out of a bottle... just imagine.

Ingredients: American hops. According to the label.

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

Appearance deep amber in color no haze. Smell floral hop and a bit of citrus. Taste hops all around a slight malty taste up front but the hops play the domenent role in this one. Drinkability was suprisingly good for somthing this hoppy. Excelent beer highly recomended.

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

I'm a fan of hoppy beer and this is one of the best I have ever had. If there was one thing that struck me about this beer is that there was a presence of hops through the entire tasting experience. The bouquet was soft and floral and the first sip matched well, unlike some other hop-heavy brews that tend to be sharp and oily. Great medium weight body and mouthfeel. The finish was just as even and smooth as the first parts of the experience. Fantastic!

Special thanks to Aaron for spotting this one for me!

On Tap at Bryant Lake Bowl
Pour was a nice Dark Orange amber with a nice 1" white head that sticks well throughout.
Aromas are of Pine hops pretty exclusivly.
Taste was a nice floral, piney hop with a decent malt backbone. Pretty well balanced
Mouthfeel was good and chewy, this is a good IPA, nothing really exciting to me, but I really lean more towards the Citrus hops more than this in an IPA.

4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

MaltFrazier came through with yet another good batch of various brews for me to try.... this was one of them....

A- Dark Amber/ Copper in color... Nice robust 2 finger head... some light sediment floating around... intricate lacing on the inside of the glass

S- Mmmm... Hops... super piny hop oil... stings the nose.... This is the epitome of what an IPA should smell like!

T- Very hoppy... mostly pine, but a little citrus peeks through to say hello. There's a malty backbone that disolves quickly, this brew is all about an overload of hops! Delicious!

M- Light/Light-Med body... hop bite on the tongue... perfect carbonation... nuff said

D- Mmmhmmm... if you're in the mood for a super hoppy IPA with flavor to get you through the night, then this is a fine choice. Drink up!

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

An absolutely fantastic IPA from Victory. Pours a yellowish/amber color typical of IPAs. Taste is (what else?) citrusy hops and are supported by a malty backbone. Taste a little bit of biscuit in there as well...

Drinkability is off the charts. I could definitely see this becoming a session beer for me.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a beer! The pint glass shows a beautiful copper color with a cap of nice creamy foam. The nose is mostly hops. The medium bodied beer rolls across the palate with a wallop of hops. A small hint of malt muscles its way through the assault of hops. The overwhelmed taste buds retain the strong hop flavor after the beer is gone. This beer will please hop heads, but also has a pleasant delightfulness that all will enjoy.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz. brown bottle.
"enjoy by Feb 20 08"

a: Hazy orange copper body, white head and a few patches of lacing.

s: Sweet malt and spicy citrus hops.

t: A mouthful of alpha acids. Spicy, earthy, citric hops. Grapefruit notes. Toasted malt is in there somewhere.
HopDevil is an appropriate name.

m: Smooth full body, pretty bitter, dry finish.

d: For hopheads only. Very nicely done, as hoppy as advertised. One is plenty to satisfy my hop fix.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company