Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Hey everyone this is my first review. I thought this would be a good beer to review first since I drink this beer so often. Admittedly, I would have liked to sampled more beers in this style to get a feel for them before reviewing this one in particular, as I do not know if HopDevil is a good representation of an American IPA... oh well.

Let me start by saying that I really like this beer. It is easy for me to drink several of these without thinking twice about it. Definitely my favorite from Victory Ale at this point in time.

Poured from a bottle into my Gingerman pint glass.

Appearance - A mix of bronze/copper/liquid brown sugar in color. White head with a little bit of lacing. The head retention isn't as long I would prefer - but a little swirl of the glass brings it right back.

Smell - Not much smell to speak of, just a touch of hops and some spice I can't really describe.

Taste - A citrus hops bite, a sweet malt middle and the hops comes right back at the end.

Mouthfeel - a medium thickness without being syrupy. Not as carbonated as other beers I have had, which may contribute to how quickly I can drink one of these.

Drinkability - Easy. This is my session beer. And yes, I think I will have another...

MiguelMandingo, Mar 22, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a bottle, it's a very dark IPA, reddish brown almost like a Doppelbock. The nose is deceivingly mild hops in contrast to the robust mix of hops, caramel and pine on the palate. Mouthfeel is suitable for the variety with a dry finish. If you like IPAs, drinkability is good.

JWFokker, Mar 22, 2007
4.08/5  rDev 0%

A- bronze in color with hints of ruby red. White head that tapers off too 1/2 finger with great retention.Plenty of lacing sticks with the glass the whole way down. Body is very translucent and a yeasty haze can be seen moving around the glass.

S-Citrus (mostly grapefruit) hops dominate the nose with some spicy hops in the background.

T- Initial flavor is somewhat subtle and offers some grapefruity hop flavor and a sound but very subtle caramel malt backing. Refreshing piny hops come through for the finish and the citrus hops intensify. Fruity flavors include lemon and grapefruit. Aftertaste is bittersweet in every sense of the meaning. Medium hop bitterness lingers along with a sweet bready malt, and both piny and citrus hop flavor.

M-great mouthfeel medium body with light carbonation. Body is very smooth and creamy-easy to swallow.

D-This is a great IPA and much more complex than most. HopDevil was my very first IPA (if you read the unedited review you could probably tell) and I really didn't appreciate how good it was then. Its still one of my favorites out there and I am glad it is so readily available in this area. Great job by Victory.

edited on 11-7-07

PittBeerGirl, Mar 21, 2007
3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Nice copper color with a medium head that remained thru the sample. The smell has traces of hops and sweetness, but they are slight and not what you would expect for a beer called HopDevil. The taste was even for my liking. This beer was hoppy before the rise of hopbombs, but now it is middle of the road. Enough resin is there to coat your mouth, but not enough to burn like others. The mouthfeel is thick for my liking, with a malt aftertaste on the back of my throat. This beer remains popular and I will have it again, more on tap than in the bottle.

mobud, Mar 19, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

While going through some glasses I found my HopDevil pint and had to get some. It's been a while since I had this...I almost forgot how good it is.

Clear reddish copper color with a nice, frothy, light tan head. Head recedes to a ring and a thin layer of bubbles on the surface. Some soapy looking lacing is left behind.

The smell is a good mixture of sweet, caramel malts and zesty grapefruit hops. Some flowery herbs float in and out, as well.

Zesty, peppery, herbal hop bite leads into the sweeter malt. Bitter hops sting comes back at the finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit soapy. I don't remember that from before. Dry and bitter aftertaste. I can get over the soapiness and a enjoy a couple more of these tonight while I watch my 'Heels in the tourney.

Imstillthegman, Mar 18, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Hazy, copper in color. White fluffy head that trickles down to a thin ring rather quickly. Piney, grassy, floral, and herbal hop aroma. Good sturdy caramel malt background, mixed with grassy and herbal hops. Good amount of bitterness, but I was expecting a bit more. Seems just a bit thin. Well balanced, as the malt character is very nice. Easy to drink. Pretty good. A little different hop character than most of the big hop bombs.

Bierguy5, Mar 12, 2007

Poured into pint glass. Consumed at just slightly less than room temperature.

A: Pours a light amber with a ton of white, fluffy head. Great retention, sticky trails on the sides as it recedes, and a solid foam blanket left behind.

S: Sweet malt, dry grain, and... cinnamon? There's a spice here.

T/M: Sweet caramel malt up front, leafy hoppiness. Bit of toasted grain. Very long bitter tail, retains some sweetness. Mouthfeel is on the dry side. Would make a great sidekick to pub fare. Overall, nothing really dominates -- everything plays well together.

D: I drank this pretty quickly. And yeah, I'd have another. This wasn't nearly as bitter as I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting an IPA this balanced, either. It filled my Q Zone with pure beer goodness.

rarevos, Mar 11, 2007

Bottle courtesy of HogTown Harry- thanks! Pours out a robust tangerine colour witha pretty good head. Quite a cloudy brew, but definitely a solid IPA colour. Aroma is a nice combination of hops and malt sweetness. Very balanced IPA I thought- tons of hops - herbal and piney and grapefruit but also a strong backbone. Finishes dry as it should for an IPA. Carbonation was a little higher than expected, but gives it a good snap in the mouth with the hops. This a very solid IPA and would be a good but dangerous session brew. Very enjoyable!

oakbluff, Mar 10, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

Dusty mahagony. Off white head holds retention for a substantial amount of time. Leaves a thin lace behind.

Sweet light floral malt aromas. Hints of pine as well as some fruity esters. Sweet toffee induced malts. Flower aromas overwhelm all other contenders.

The flowery, flowered, flowers of hops leads over to the taste. Albeit not overly bitter and well balanced by the semi sweet toffee malt. Light citrus approach with undescernible notations.

Mouth is medium bordering on thin. This is a solid beer and very drinkable.

mcallister, Mar 09, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a dark, cloudy orange, with an off white tannish head. Very foamy on top and appears good and refreshing. The aroma is a bit lacking in the head but does have a nice hoppy undertone that is sweet but not quite citrus. I just found myself wishing for a more dominate smell of hops.

This IPA I found had a more roasted flavor than I am used to in the style. A nice change from the ordinary. Good amount of carbonation giving it a medium body that left with a strong bitter finish. Thoughts of oranges came to mind, with a slite alcoholic taste that is more masked by the hops and malts.

I quite enjoyed this beer and would pick up another six pack when able. I would also be interested in trying this one on tap.

quikfish13, Mar 08, 2007

Thanks Cheers2beers for this one.

Starts of with a billowing tan head that dissipates a little quickly and gives up a dark straw colored beer underneath.

The nose of this beer I find lacking a bit for an IPA. Not much hops present in the smell but I did catch a hint of a dark plum and some bready overtones.

First sip brought me right back to the fact that this is definitely an IPA. Starts of with a crisp malt backbone, dry, bready and well balanced. This is definitely more of a "dry" ipa with little sweetness in the malt.

There are mostly bittering hops in this one, but perfectly balanced with the malt it makes for a nice platform to show off the hoppy finish which stays with you for a while. Peppery, spicy hops, no real citrus to speak of.

Overall a VERY balanced IPA with a perfect amount of carbonation and a great hop finish.

You could definitely session some of these as the alcohol was imperceptible.

I'd crack another anytime.

FlyFisher2782, Mar 03, 2007

Pours out a cloudy amber orange with white suds that leave good lacing on the pint glass.
This one smells sweet. Sugary malt and slight hops. Very slight citrus aromas. Needs to be stronger in the nose.
I was trying to compare this and the weyerbacher Simcoe but that won't work. It is a beer by itself. Initially sweet then bitter then sweet then bitter again. Not a lot of citrus flavor but there is a blackness that must be roasted malt and very black tasting hops.
I like this take on the IPA. Very different from most IPA's I have had.
If I could get ahold of lots of these I would love to session a case or two! Victory for your taste indeed!

peabody, Feb 28, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -8.6%

Serving 12oz

Fine wisps of carbonation lazily float upwards though a pellucid pale bronze body to meet a frothy collar encirlcing a thin, patchy brown tinted head.

Mild grapefruit and juicy orange flirt with caramel malt aromas on the nose while whiffs of alcohol and fresh cut grass linger in the background.

Hard hitting hops smack the taste buds from the start to the bitter off-dry finish while restrained caramel malts smooth over and balance out the rough bitter citrus flavors. Piquant hop bitters, smooth malts and a bit of peppery alcohol tie it all together on a pleasant finish. Grassy bitter hops grip the palate for a good 20 seconds creating a dry, mildly grassy aftertaste. Hop bitterness is takes on an odd metallic, copper, and grassy flavors as the beer warms.

Bitterness and grassy hops dominate on the aftertaste while the malt backbone is well delinated yet not expertly integrated to make a uniform whole. A medium to full body lends a desireable mouthcoating character while hop bitters and malts work toward a harmonious balance. Additional carbonation would lift this beer's body up giving it a fuller more complete mouthfeel.

Easy down for a bitter beer with a respectable dose of alcohol. The dry, bitter finish keeps me going back for more.

Kudos to Victory for giving us another great brew!

Cheers!

Jwaks, Feb 28, 2007
3.83/5  rDev -6.1%

appearance was deep apricot in hue, somewhat cloudy, bouqet was loads of citrus, floral, pine, caramel, honey, taste was similar to nose, also some nice stone fruits, the intense bitter hops well-balanced by the residual caramel malt sweetness, mouthfeel was medium-heavy and pretty viscous, drinkability suffers only from the necessarily significant alc content and big body, this is a fine example of the dipa style and definitely a fridge staple at the moment.

MrMcGibblets, Feb 26, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

Certainly not the prettiest brew I have ever encountered but the taste more than makes up for its physical shortcomings. The body is a hazy burndt orange in colour, very short crown with minimal lacing. Carbonation is light.
The nose is fairly clean with a hint of a woodsy pine and straw.
The taste starts with an even hit of malt and hops, grassy and kettle hops and /or citrus.At this time, the hops take immediate control over the ever present malts in the background, with a strong citrus regime, grapefruit/lemon. Mouthfreel is full bodied and crisp. Exellent brew.

Shiloh, Feb 26, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle with an 'enjoy by' date of 4/7/07.

A: Pours a nice, amber color with adequate head that left lacing throughout consumption.
S: Fantastic indication of what you're in for! Strong, flowery scent with grapefruit and spice mixing in. Strong, pleasant aroma...
T: First taste reveals a sharp, but manageable hop bite- not the kind of 'hop-bite' to cringe over. Malt is there somewhat to balance this beer, but the hops are certainly king. Aftertaste is mild.
M: Smooth once the 'bite' leaves your tastebuds. This beer seems to smooth out even more as it warms.
D: Very drinkable for hop fans, though I prefer to drink this one slowly while enjoying a good book or just kicking back after a hard week. I just don't see this as a typical session beer.

Overall, wonderfully hopped beer with well-rounded attributes. Strong, yet not challenging to drink. Seems to taste a bit better on tap, as I recall.

coalcracker, Feb 24, 2007

Gee, Hop Devil gets reviewed so seldom that I am anxious to get one posted. Ha! Instead, I want to indulge in a little bit of (not really) frivolity.

Ode to Hop Devil

O, great Hoppus Maximus!
You were my first love.
I discovered you early on
And although I have had others
You remain the one that converted me.
Once, I embraced Rolling Rock,
But the pony left me behind.
Then, I received your kiss,
And I was won!

My mentor, Lew, puts it so well:
You are the perfect marriage of malt and hops
And who am I to disagree?
Your tawny beauty is breathtaking
But so is your tannish head.
Some find you indescribable
But I must disagree!

You, dear Hop Devil, are the beer for me.
Rotsaruch, Maybrick, Shapudding, favorites all,
But you, Hop Devil, make me sit up tall.
Your sticky lacing,
Your thick, full mouthfeel,
Your bitter start,
Your sweet end,
Your reddishness,
You, baby, are my dream.

They say that the devil is male,
But you give that supposition the lie.
Hop Devil, you are as sensuous as any woman.
I will love you until the day I die.

My apologies if that seems rambling or silly, but it was heartfelt. May my Karma be struck dead.

woodychandler, Feb 20, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

This is one of the best beers brewed in the U.S. It is a big, hoppy beer. The flavor of hops comes through clean and pure. Although I typically don't enjoy beers over 6% ABV (unless from Belgium) this beer does not have that alcohol flavor so many American IPA's have. I definitely need to visit the brewery for a fresh sample, but doubt it could be any better.

cichief, Feb 18, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

From notes:

Nice copper hue... great, white head (very thick)... Wonderful lacing.

Citrus heavy whiff... grassy tones with a bit of berry. Slight maple, even. Aroma can at times, be sweet but mostly heavy on the hops.

A smooth palate... silky and not harsh at all.

Large bitter bite... lingering citrus with some spicy pine notes. A very nice beer.

Fugazme, Feb 16, 2007
3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

To be fair in reviewing, this bottle was marked Enjoy by: May 1,07
Bottle was purchased and consumed about 3 months ago.

Translucent light copper color. White head with large bubbles that faded to a halo of foam. Low levels of carbonation rising in tumbler. Hardly a nose on this beer which makes me suspect along with the low carbonation an older sample. Faint flowery and fruity hops smell. The bitter taste on this one is very earthy that reminds me of a German dunkel. Mouthfeel is on lighter side with a bitter drying finish. Will definitely have to have another one because I generally like stuff from Victory.

vwcraig, Feb 15, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

A- Pours an extremely clear amber liquid. The head is a little off-white which leaves a little cover over the liquid most of the way down the glass.

S- Pine and very astringent citrus. Think a very potent grapefruit and pine needles. A decent malt backbone is present as well.

T- Pine and some acidic citrus. This is one potent IPA. The sweetness of the malt saves this beer.

M- Bitter, bitter, and more bitter. Fine mouthfeel, nothing outstanding. Not refreshing by any means.

D- Too astringent for its own good. Not bad, but not great either. I am glad I tried it though.

david131, Feb 12, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Moderate head and carbonation. Hazy translucent.

American Hop, floral and citric, grapefruit & orange. Buttery, nutty, toffee, rum/caramel, sticky sweet. Well balanced aroma.

Nutty, buttery, bread-like. Sharp hop edge, citric and floral. Fairly well balanced. Like drinking hop nectar.

Mild carbonation, moderate foamation. Thick.

Enjoyable IPA. Beastie malt, sharp hop.

MrHungryMonkey, Feb 11, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks to shigadeyo for the bottle. Label says to enjoy by 2/26/07. I drank this a few months back, this review is word for word from notes.

Pours with good head and lace, amber in color. Smells piney, with caramel malt. I think these two qualities combine to give it a resiny smell.

The hops taste piney, with nutty caramel malt. The taste is balanced. The beer is creamy and smooth on the palate. I have drank this beer on two prior occassions, and this time, I actually enjoy the beer. This wouldn't fix my hops craving, but it is a tasty IPA nonetheless.

Sephiroth, Feb 10, 2007
2.95/5  rDev -27.7%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Bottle has a date stamp 'Enjoy by may 14th, 07. Date of this tasting: Feb. 07, 2007.

Appearance - clear. Rich Orangish/red color. Very minimal head but stays throughout.

Smell - some hop but less than I expected for a 'hop devil'. In fact, I'm having a hard time getting much out of the aroma. Some cereal characteristics in the malt

Taste - bittering hops definitely come through. Decent malt flavor but takes a back seat to the bitter. Malt does begin to come forward as beer warms. The main characteristic of this beer seems to be the bittering hops.

Mouthfeel - A little thin for a 6.7 ABV

Drinkability - good if you are looking for a focus on bittering hops and for the same reason not a good session beer.

Hortus, Feb 07, 2007
2.88/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured into a mixing glass (american pint glass)

Visual:
amber-red-copper colored and transpearant. off-white head which went away quickly leaving some light lacing

Smell:
faint non-descript citrus and a little bit of pine and juniper

Taste:
toasted grain, slightest bit of whole-grain bread. Sharply bitter hopping but no clear/specific tastes

Body:
medium bodied, bite of hops really tends to lingers in the mouth

Drinkability:
I found this beer to be muddled, nothing tends to stand out; i was fairly unimpressed.

~E. Brad