Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

12oz. Enjoy by May 27 06 stamped on the front label.

Pours a clear reddish copper, reminiscent of honey. Tan head of medium to large bubbles. Aroma is slightly pine with a touch of grass and earth. Not as predominantly hops as you would expect from something called Hopdevil.

Taste is hops upfront. Just like the aroma, grass and earth with the bitterness and pine coming more to the front. Throughout the sip, the malt is with you just behind the main flavors but peaking out to the front seemingly randomly. Aftertaste is a mild, pleasant bitterness.

The last time I drank this I was going to review but noticed the date was a little past. I held off until this one, but I’ve got to say they did not taste much different. A good beer. It seems to lean into the American Amber Ale category at times.

sacfly, Feb 17, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

Nice hazy deep honey colour with some peach overtones. Head is light tan, about one finger. It falls at a decent rate, eaving some thick wet lace behind.

For one called Hop Devile, the hops are oddly not the big impression in the aroma.. It's a very floral, fruity malt aroma, mainly- full of orange and a touch of black licorice. There's sme hop under, but it is not the main attraction here.

Ok, here's where the hop hits...that fruity, malty flavour hits up front, followed by a sucker punch of hops- not too sharp, not too floral- just right. After delivering the blow, the hops quickly go back to their corner...

Carbonation hits low and tight, and rolls back the tongue. There's a medium liquid over it. Feels good on the tongue.

Quite good; very balanced. An easy drinker that would be a regular in my beer closet if I could get it here.

Be well
-UF

UncleFlip, Feb 16, 2006
3.1/5  rDev -24%

Pours orange/brown (too orange and light for me to call it an amber). Awfully clear. Tiny white head with very durable lacing.
Smells like cascades, man.
Tastes a bit like cascades, too. Pretty bitter at the back and end. A bite to that.
A fine brew. I'd like to see it come out more even on the tongue. The tangy aftertaste - all over the sides and back of the mouth - could probably be cut a bit with (gasp) a bit more sweetness to it.

charlesw, Feb 14, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -13%

Dark Copper in color. Good smells of hops that prepare the palate for on coming and disticnt flavor of hops. Thick hops taste. Dry in taste. An aftertaste of hops that stayed with me. Not as drinkable as most but over all a decent beer that reflects the style.

johnyeast, Feb 12, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Had this one last night and realized I'd never reviewed it.

Pours out a coppery, slightly-cloudy color, with good-sized off-white head that holds pretty well and leaves a nice lace.

Smell is hoppy, but not abrasively so, with floral grapefruit notes coming in on a solid backbone of bready malts.

Flavor is also quite hoppy, with more of a pronounced pine flavor to go with a nice bitter grapefruit citric twang. The spicy flavors come through clearly, but so does the malt, which is bready with slight caramel flavors.

Overall: For a local IPA, or any kind of IPA, you can't beat this one.

whartontallboy, Feb 11, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +14.7%

Dark color... simliar to watered down honey. It's a light brown with hints of yellow. Nice head rises from the liquid after the pour. Loads of lacing down the glass. Plenty of hops on the nose that are very citrusy. Hint of grainy malt. There's something else that's sweet. Perhaps it's just the malt. Hops steal the show from the very beginning of the taste. They are very spicy and a tad fruity. There's really not enough malt flavor to mention. I don't give a damn though because this beer is tasty enough without perfect balance! Creamy mouthfeel with absolute bitterness in the finish. Immediately after swallowing the hops are easy and not too bad but you wait five seconds and they attack. Wow. This is a great beer. Victory has brought me so much hoppy delight lately. I feel like I should give them something in return.

timtheenchanta, Feb 08, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

Here we go...Victory Hop Devil...poured into a Newbury Comics pint glass a nice reddish amber color and a small white head that stayed murky from the top through the end. Smell was very citrusy, with loads of grapefruit flavors as well as some grassy earth tones here and there as well. You could also smell a nice spicy aroma from the hops that lent itself well to the overall presence of this beer. Taste was excellent...hop presence was exceptionally executed with prickly spices and earth flavors gliding in and around the palate. Mouthfeel was medium bodied, any lighter or heavier and i think they would have overdone it a bit. This beer will certainly challenge the palate, but I would not call this a difficult beer to drink. Pair this one up with some mildly spicy chicken wings and taste how the hops compliment the flavor.

jamie2dope, Feb 06, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Typical looking hazy orange ale with a better than average white head. Strong toasty gin aromas. Taste is junipered with healthy dollops of grapefruit and spice. Bready, chewy, earth and citrus. Lots of hops and therefore well serving of its title. So well balanced. Very drinkable.

DaPeculierDane, Feb 06, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Rich dark amber color and slighty hazy. Thick sticky head with good retention. The aroma is very hoppy. A definite piney hop bitterness. A small amount a grains try to pull through the hops. The flavor is pretty much like it smells. Strong floral and pine like hops dominate. Just enough malt to balance the ale. Dry hoppy finish. HopDevil is a hop lovers dream! Be careful though, 6.7 % acl by volume will catch up to you quick.

Luigi, Feb 05, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

Reddish/orange color, not very clear, the head was small and dissipated fairly quickly. The smell is of nice strong hops, perhaps a bit tangy. The flavor of robust hoppiness dominates, but I would say its not overdone. The malt carries a nice sweetness to balance things out, and the alcohol stays well hidden. Finish has a slight dryness. Mouthfeel is nice, medium thick, and finishes rich and bubbly. This one went down easy, and sadly its the only one I have. I bought it from the vintage cellar online as Victory beers are nowhere to be found in Arizona. I can't wait to have this again...

bennetj17, Feb 05, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

WOW! My go-to beer. This beer has wrecked any semblance of keeping control of purchasing extravagant beer. Living in the PA Suburbs, its quite easy to find the brewery and very common for me to have a keg on tap.. My favorite all around beer.

Serving Types - All - really the cask ale should be called crack ale. WOW, yum...

Appearance - deep ruby red with an awesome head
Smell - none better - hops shining through, balanced very well
Taste - see 'smell'
Mouthfeel - love it, love it! When sipping and holind this on your tongue - very amazing!
Drinkability - @6.7, not too bad - After 15 or 20, I get real tired!

love this beer -

Go Victory!!

djeffbee, Feb 04, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Yes, A rich amber with a big head (rightfully so) that's light biege to white.

Aroma is mostly citrus, then some flowery hops, but all of it subtle. It's good, yes, but subtle.

Mmmm, its a very light citrus flavor but almost overwhelmingly bitter both during and after the taste. I don't notice carbonation.

That bitterness in the aftertaste embelishes the bitterness of the next mouthfull. While I tend to want more and more bitterness, it reaches it's limit. The beer is basically telling you to slow down.

It's my opinion that a hopped up American beer should attack all five senses (ok 4, and in a good way) this one stands it's ground, and one time I considered it my favorite. It will remain the beer I look for in my local watering hole when only sub-par standards are around.

joeskirkie, Feb 04, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

I've had so many people tell how much they enjoyed this beer and now I see it has a "Outstanding" 90 rating here. I've had this several times, including a quite a few recently. Am I missing something?

To start, it's a fine beer, a quality IPA that was quite enjoyable. But with the accolades this gets I expect it to be something spectacular. Even more so since it's an IPA, one of the finest styles around, in my opinion.

I guess the main missing link for me is the use of hops. This has never hit me as an absurdly hoppy beer. I fucking love hops. This falls more into citrus hopland, and I'm a piney / floral kinda jabroni.

Definitely worth trying for yourself, it's a good beer and others seem to dig the shit outta this.

sloejams, Feb 02, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +14%

Recieved in trade with shark262, thanks much for this one!!
A: Pours a copper color with lots of frothy white head. Lots of lacing sticking down the sides of the glass.
S: Smells very citrusy and spicy. There is also a very well balanced malt scent.
T: Very very hoppy flavored, yet suprisingly malty for as hop flavored as it was. The end is very bitter but not in a bad way at all. Nicely balanced. Tastes very fresh out of the bottle like I'm sitting right at the brewery.
M: Goes down very easily, perfectly carbonated, slight bitter mouthfeel.
D: Overall this is an excellent IPA, one of the better ones I've had in quite some time.

loren01, Feb 02, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a cloudy orangey amber color with a foamy white half finger head that leaves great lace.

S: Aromas of fruity, floral and piney hops dominate the nose. VERY hoppy! Smells very fresh.

T: Tastes of floral and piney hops are the most dominating with a slight matly flavor in the background, but ever slo slight. Very bold and well balanced IPA with a nice dry bitter finish.

M & D: Mouthfeel on this beer is very very good. Dry and bitter finish is very inviting and welcomed. Drinkability on this offering from Victory is very high. The 6.7% abv is noticeable as it warms your belly. Great beer any time of the year. Victory has done it again--this and the hop wallop are two of the better IPAs I've had.

bjohnson, Jan 30, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

I've reviewed this brew a few times, but was not expecting such a difference in the cask version. If I could only have it one way for the rest of my life, this would be it.

Color was an opaque copper orange. Not much head or carbonation. But, the color was stunning.

I don't know where to begin with the smell. Up front sweet flowery orange blossoms. Unlike any previous experience with this beer. Usually I smell a cascade hop resin smell. But this was different. Very citrus and piney. But instead of grapefruit, it was pure orange.

Taste was upfront bitter orange rinds. Very distinctive. A departure from the usual cascade flavors. Flowery blossom honey in the background. Perfectly balanced.

Mouthfeel seemed denser than usual. Very little carbonation made it smooth, and could have contributed to the denser feeling. Less crisp, but very satisfying.

Drinkability was exceptional. I could drink this forever. The best IPA I've tasted to date. My only regret is they would not sell a growler of this at Victory. I highly recommend this if you can get to the brewery.

Ieatlambfries, Jan 29, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Bought six-pack of 12oz. bottles:enjoy by Jan. 14 '06 on label.

Cracked one open and poured into 16oz. glass mug, nice short lasting half inch cream white head. Slightly murky, copper color with light carbonation bubbles and light lacing.

Super hoppy resin, sativa like smell, a hop lovers delight. Good malt flavor, slightly nutty taste, with a pine and floral crisp, clean finish. This is one fine , hoppy ale!

Fresh, clean mouthfeel with abundant hop aftertaste, makes this moderately strong brew very drinkable, think I'll have another....cheers.

scottoale, Jan 29, 2006

Nice color. Paints the glass in delicious looking amber, red and orange hues. About a finger on the head and it seems to be sticking around. Solid lacing. Some slow moving carbonation is visible too. About as appetizing looking a beer as I can remember. Seems a little darker than some other IPAs I've tried.

The sniffer likes this one. A good balance of pine, lemon and other citrus scents. A distinctly hoppy scent. Just a hint of spice too. Smells delicious.

Taste somehow seems really weak to me. I'm not getting much beyond a faint caramel flavor at the finish. Just a hint of pine spice in there too. Am I missing something? This doesn't seem right. It's not that it tastes bad, it just doesn't taste like much of anything. Quite a disappointment.

Extremely smooth and mellow mouthfeel. I was really surprised by that. A good balance of bitter and sweet. Not much finish though.

I can't help but feel I've missed something in the taste department. I have another bottle that I'll use as a comparison later and edit this if necessary, but there's just nothing there. Really disappointing. I really like the mouthfeel. It's surprising for an IPA, but is that enough to keep drinking these? I doubt it.

skillerified, Jan 29, 2006

On tap cask conditioned at the Drafting Room in Springhouse. The HopDevil pours a nice copper color with a nice thick off-white head. The aroma is of a nice balance between the intense hop flavor and the malty sweetness with a bit of citrus. The taste is an enjoyable balance of the hoppy, piney bitterness and the sweet and fruit tones. A very nice beer and extra special on cask.

ggaughan, Jan 28, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

never had this before, picked it up at world market in lansing, in one of there winter brew 10 packs.

pours a deep copper color with a off white head.
the aroma is hoppy, citrus, spicy, underlaying malt.
the flavor is hoppy, spicy, malt, citrus, peppery.
the mouthfeel is a little lite for an ipa.

plaztikjezuz, Jan 28, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured honey colored, foggy to look through, decent head retention, appears appetizing, some lace splattered around.

Nice, sweet lightly roasted malt, varied hop bouquet of rind and citrus and grassiness, not overpowering.

Bitterly hoppy, malt barely shows through, more in the nose than the taste. Rindy lemony hoppiness. Medium bodied, lasting sharp bitterness. semi-strong carbonation.

One bitter beer, not much for balance on this one. Taste is enjoyable, spicy, maybe aging could smooth it out. I would not have guessed as high as 6.7%.

ChiSox05, Jan 27, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

I almost think I like this better than their Hop Wallop.

Poured very clear amber-red with nice lacing.

Nose quite hoppy. I was trying to determine which hops. Cascade or Columbus or Brewer's Gold or what. Also a bit of sugary, mapley malt in the nose. Not much but a trace.

I began drinking and it was a marvelous balance of malt and hops - perfect sweet-bitter combination. Vermont maple syrup tempered with California hop juice. Added to with what only yeast can do.

Suffice to say that I cannot adequately describe this beer. I love Brooklyn East India Pale Ale, Southern Tier IPA, Redhook IPA, Snake Dog IPA, and Lake Placid Frostbite, but this tops them all in my opinion. Not one to cellar (that's its elder brother Hop Wallop) but one to drink on tap and buy in bottles.

Calico, Jan 26, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

This beer pours an attractive red, garnet color with a one inch head that hangs around. The smell was very aromatic of fresh hops and hop flowers and pine. Taste was wonderful and complex. Hops, citrus fruits and malt are all dancing on my tongue making for a truly enjoyable drinking experience. This is one of the best American IPA's available and I'm glad I can get this now in NC. Recommended.

rodrot, Jan 24, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Very very pretty ruby rusty red color. Smell is interesting- sweetly hoppy, almost overly sweet. Lightly fruity, too. Hints of earthy hops come to play as well. Taste is interesting as well- earthy and bitter hops at the forefront, immediately followed by an almost intense malty breadyness. Hints of sweetness hit the palate at odd times, but otherwise it's a tasty thing. Mouthfeel is pretty nice as well. Frothy and bubbly, chewy, smooth. A solid IPA.

scooter231, Jan 23, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

After reading a few reviews, I was probably expecting too much. This is a good but not exceptional IPA. It pours a cloudy copper color with a small off -white head that dissipates quickly. Leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass. The smell is exceptional, nice and rich hops/citrus aroma. The taste is good but not great. Good hops taste, good bitterness and balanced flavor. What it doesn't have is the "wow" factor I experienced with my first Hop Otten, SN Pale Ale or SN Celebration Ale. This is still a very drinkable ale. There are just a few out there that I prefer more.

JayQue, Jan 22, 2006