Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

I had this one in a 12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. It pours a reddish-orange with 2 fingers of head and decent lacing. The smell is very subtle, a little citrus tone, not too much of a hops smell present, which is weird for an IPA. The taste is a mix of citrus and spice, with just a bit of hops at the end. Very balanced for an IPA. Doesn't have the hops meanness of a ruination or a 90 minute. The mouthfeel is pretty strong and really smooth. The drinkability is also fair. This sure has some hops to it, but I'm just not sure that it lives up to its name.

Edit: After reviewing another sample, I found that I like this far more than what I scored for. The first bottle might have been a little off. The second time I had it, it was more true to the name and style, very nice.

SheepNutz, Jun 10, 2003
4.4/5  rDev +7.8%

Translucent amber-bronze hue, modest off-white head (less than a ½ inch), fair retention, soapy, minimal unorganized lace. Mouthwatering nose… oh, the invitation is incredible, plenty of piney/citrusy hops… plenty of depth but little complexity though. The palate has plenty of piney hops, prickly bitterness, raw citrusy hops undercurrents, leafy, dry. Very minor caramel malt hints, just enough for “balance.” The impact of the alcohol on the palate (and mind) is ideal. Tremendously dry & bitter finish, rather long too. Moderate carbonation. Medium body. It is awfully damn easy to drink and gratifying too. I wish HopDevil was available locally… recommended!

bditty187, Jun 06, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

has nice coppery color in the glass, good sized head which leaves lace most of the way down. hopdevil smells really good, with fresh smelling piney spicy slightly citrusy hoppiness. a little fruity and bready too...
this is a really exellent tasting IPA. it's loaded with grassy citrusy hops, but it also is rounded out with some nice caramel malt flavor and a little bready yeast, not hugely complex, but well balanced and great tasting. thicker side of medium bodied with middle of the road carbonation. i could drink this stuff all night. when fresh, this stuff is great.

kmo1030, Jun 06, 2003

This is absolutley one of my unabashed favorites. As a unredemptive hophead, it doesn't get much better (bitter?) than this. A fantastic expression of the brewer's art; an apoplectic melding of malt sweetnes with lupulus bitternes and aroma. The cask conditioned presentation steps this one up into the valhalla of brewing. If you've only had the draught version of this wonderful brew, the cask is just that more so. The lower conditioning level lets the melange of flavors burst forth on the palate, unencumbered by the bubbliness of carbonation.

As you can probably tell, I am a huge fan. This merits the 5 x 5 as indicated above. I really don't think that there is much room for improvement on this one.

rugbycritic, Jun 02, 2003
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

Pour: light rusty-red hue, ‘foggy’ twinge with a very thin complement of lacing.

Smell: somewhat strong, cutting aroma of caramel malt sweetness (surprising to me for something called Hopdevil); piney hop profile is there, but it doesn’t steal the sole of what’s present.

Taste: not your typical American IPA, and I really like it that way (nice change of pace)... this beer does not assail your tastebuds solely by over-hopping. i can imagine plenty of fresh hops, yet there is such a malt profile that all comes to taste so swell together and this ups the drinkability scale for me.

Overall: there are other beers i would go to for a hop-fix... yet this beer impresses.

Hobbz, Jun 01, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

This is perhaps the most balanced IPA I've sampled yet. A huge dose of hops to be sure, but an equally powerful malt presence keeps everything in check.

Pours true copper with a fairly retentive off-white head; aroma is rich with citrusy hops and...gingerbread.

Taste is crisp, clean, but full at the same time. Not a trace of my old nemesis, ringwood yeast. Starts with sweet malt, a touch of carmel/ginger comes through. Hops take over in due course, adding a strong, satisfying citrus bite, but never getting into the bitter resin-like realm of over-the-top IPAs. This goes down exceedingly smooth for all the flavors going on, with very little stickyness.

Yet another excellent offering from Victory.

shirfan, May 31, 2003
4.9/5  rDev +20.1%

This is simply my favorite beer in the world right now. It is so bold but yet devoid of the taste of a contrived gimicky beer, which I have found ot be the case with some hoppy beers. These guys know how to brew a super-hoppy beer, no doubt about it. The aromas and flavors that this beer will fill you with are unparalleled. It is such a clean drink with such a wonderful aftertaste that I frequently find myself craving it.

The color is drop dead gorgeous.... the taste is out of this world.... if I could walk around with this beer in my mouth all day long I would be the happiest man alive, who needs to eat and talk anyway.

NolanGTI, May 28, 2003
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

A refreshing, light, and effervescent IPA, the hopdevil is great for one of those warm late sping evenings. I can almost hear the birds chirping as I pour this dark caramel (with a russet tint) brew. The head disappeared quickly, and I noticed not much lace as it receded. The smell is of rolling hills of hops with a hint of the citrus groves wafting in on a light breeze from over the hill. There's noticeable carbonation, but for this kind of day, it's perfect (I just came in from a five-mile walk). This stuff goes down fast, or maybe it's late May and I'm just plain ready for summer.

longpondbeerman, May 27, 2003
4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

I first tried this beer at the Pennsylvania microbrewery festival, and I was very impressed. I'm a fan of IPA's and this is by far the best I've had. It seems to let some maltiness through, but with a great hop aroma and finish. Trying in bottles soon(got a six in the fridge).

5-18-03

Updated my review to reflect my comparative experiences since my first review, which was my very first review as a BA (originally a 4.95!). It does have a great malty presence on draft, with a very smooth hop profile as well. This is much better on tap, as the bottles develop a bit of a harshness and do not compare to Two Hearted or Stone IPA bottles. Still a very fine beer though that is a regular in my house.

aaronh, May 18, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Another rare treat thanks to trbeer's trek to Chicago. I've been curious ever since seeing this one up on the BA charts. Pours copper in color. Smell reminds me of a barley wine. Some caramel and hops aroma. Taste is a surprise. Very malty and subdued hops. I was expecting an all out hops assault. Usually the extreme beers make the list but this one is more balanced. The bitterness doesn't even kick in until 1/3 of the way through the glass. Again more defined by the malty aspects of the beer. A nice beer but I think I prefer the grapefruit of Bell's Two Hearted. Call me provincial 'cause I'm from Michigan. Still a nice beer and I'm greatful for the opportunity to try. Now if I only can get Storm King Stout!

mjohn27603, May 18, 2003
4.6/5  rDev +12.7%

A while back, I tried this beer and just felt it was way too hoppy. I was quite surprised then to discover on a recent tasting how balanced this beer really is. What is distinctive about this beer is not really the heavy hops. Plenty of American brewers do that, but few do it while at the same time balancing it out with complex earthy, malty flavors and an amazing depth of character. All the while remaining very drinkable. Outstanding.

Pours an attractive clear, dark copper with a creamy tan head that remains in a thin cap, leaving nice lacing. The nose is alluring and complex: an earthy mixture of wood, smoke, burnt sugar, spicy, leafy hops, melted butter(?), fruit (orange, lemon, raisins, apricots, grapefruit?). On palate, a combination of complexity and balance that is exceptional. On the one hand, earthy flavors of nutty, roasted, smoky malt, buttery toffee, and caramel. At the same time, spicy, leafy, cedary hop bitterness and fruit--grapefruit, lemon, orange. Finish is long, dry, and fruity. Mouthfeel is full and smooth, with just a touch of carbonation. A surpsisingly drinkable brew to have such a big, spicy hop presence. Very rounded-out and deeply earthy. One of the very best American ales. Victory is perhaps the best brewery in the country.

Riggo, May 18, 2003
4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

This IPA pours a dark mahogany red. The tan head develops nicely and gives away to a thin lace. The aroma is all hops; hints of citrus and pine float in the air. Nothing overpowering but enough for the name “Hop Devil” The taste is very nice, again HOPS! However, there is a nice mild sweetness just before the bitter hop finish. This is very enjoyable to drink. There are more than enough hops to enjoy but not enough to burn out the taste buds. For me, this is a very drinkable IPA. I will look forward for the other 5 in my fridge! No wonder it is in the top 50!

Stubbie1, May 17, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

pours a crystal clear orange-tinted scarlet brown with a sizeable creamy off-white head, which does a spectacular job of staying around and coating the glass with sheets of lace. spicy, fresh hop oil in the nose that can be detected a foot from the face. sturdy medium body made crisp by ample carbonation. sipping this brew as it warms reveals a spicy crystal malt notes in perfect harmony with an assertive, fresh whole-flower hop flavor. ample bitterness never seems astringent. a dissertation in balance, the extreme flavors of this brew are crafted in complex harmony. the finish is long and bitterly flavorful. subtle nuances emerge as the beer warms and becomes considerably more rich. ipa's don't come much more balanced, flavorful, or drinkable than this one. absolutely stellar.

pheurton, May 17, 2003
4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a red copper color with a foamy tan head which clings to the side of the glass as it dissipates, leaving some nice lacing. The deep reddish color makes for a very attractive beer in the glass. Both the aroma and taste are as expected, given the beers name---strongly of hops. The very hoppy taste lingers in the mouth and shifts somewhat into a more spicy aftertaste on the tongue. Medium to full bodied, this beer has very good mouthfeel and goes down quite smoothly. An overall very good beer which I will certainly drink more of.

tar, May 13, 2003
4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

At first I wanted to say this beer was amber, but it's much a much deeper, darker red. It had a beautiful head with very tiny bubbles, making it look almost like cream. It laced all the way down the slides while drinking and was still there for my last sip. When I was done, the bottom of the glass looked like a doily. Pretty. But then again, by the time I got to the bottom of the glass, everything was looking pretty.

I immediately smelled burnt caramel, like charred smores. My favorite kind. I also noted some hints of citrus, namely lemon, which must have been the hops kicking in. At first taste, it was fresh and crisp. Then I was almost chewing on the malt, even though there was no sediment whatsoever. Finally, just the right amount of tongue-scooting bitterness finished the palate. There were, however, a few sour notes every few sips. This IPA was delicious, drinkable to the last drop and will be hard to beat.

MissOrch, May 08, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

I was fortunate enough to acquire a six pack of this brew from a friend. The beer pours a nice amber color with a medium white head. The smell of the hops is very noticeable, and very inviting. Upon first sip the mouth is overwhelmed by the exploding taste of hops and light sweet malt, which is very pleasing. Once the hops fade, the mouth is left with a spicy flavor. Overall this is one excellent brew, very refreshing and a pleasure to drink; unfortunately I cannot get it where I live. Regardless, this goes on my list of favorites.

usualpulp, May 07, 2003
4.08/5  rDev 0%

First of the Victory line I have tried and I came away very impressed.Now Iam not a hop-head but this beer has a nice balance to the hoppiness.Poured a real nice rich copper color with a pillowey head,the aroma of hops hits ya from almost a foot away.Taste is herbal hoppy with a nice nutty malt background.Had this at a pub in Blue Bell not far from my new place.

oberon, May 07, 2003
4.93/5  rDev +20.8%

i had this at the Connecticut real ale festival and it was wonderful a stand out among standouts a true historically correct IPA with great body mouth feel and balance.hop heads and malt freaks alike will love this one. if you can find it on cask its a must!!!

beerman599, May 03, 2003

This beer was an amber with orange and brown hues, transparent, and with little carbonation. Had an off-white colored head that was foamy and very steady, some lace, and good little tendrils of stain.

Smelled of hops - fresh, flowery, and full - and notes of orange but thin and cleanly so. Taste was of a chewable tasty malt and lickable tasty hops. The hops were a little sour but more bitter; both characteristics were none too strong, though. The body of the flavors created a very toasted and earthy character, with a slight salt flavor that came through after a couple swigs. What I noticed most was how well-rounded this IPA was, as the malt is recognizable and bases the obvious hops, and develops a small fruit taste in the middle of the swallow.

Finish is dry, and I could feel some sort of malt behind it all. A little nutty and burnt taste in there, too. And with a watery mouthfeel this all amounts to a fairly refreshing and mostly balanced IPA, but just a little too earthy for me though.

nomad, May 03, 2003
4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

I had this on cask at Copperfield's. I've had it on tap and in bottle, but the cask blew me away.
Beautiful, perfect head. The beer was a reddish copper color. Smelled peppery, but not enough there. Hoppy, too, of course. Tasted very smooth, hoppy, and a teeny tiny bit bitter. Excellent beer.

dwarbi, May 02, 2003
4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Finally did gets me some of the 'Devil. Right up the side of the head! Whew, Baby, this be the real thing. Hop nose just a waftin' on up there, that great clear amber flittin' its tail 'neath a creamy 2 fingers of ivory. The lace she be dropping in, but sliding on down to the body again. Oooo Man. Creamy full body caresses the palate and wakes it with citrusy flavors and flowery accents. Tried to sip; no luck. This be gulpin' good beer. Two thumbs up for the 'Devil.

AtLagerHeads, May 02, 2003
4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

Being a big fan of hoppy beers I found HopDevil to be one of the best. It's a beautiful clear amber color with a nice thick off white head that slowly dissolves to a sheet on the beer and leaves a good amount of lace on the glass. The aroma is full of flowery esters and citrus smells. Each sip is a hop lovers delight. Hops dominate each sip with their citrus and flowery flavors. Some toasted malt is found in the background to balance out the flavor. A mild bitterness and sticky pallett is left behind.

This is an excellent and very drinkable beer. If you like hops I highly recommend it.

WanderingFool, Apr 27, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Barrelhouse Brewfest sample #8. I like the coppery color on this one. It has a BIG orange, hoppy aroma. I figured it to be a blast of bitterness, but it really wasn't just all about the hop. I found the malt and hop balance to be most excellent. I'll need to find some more of this. I've heard it's even better on tap.

brewdlyhooked13, Apr 25, 2003
4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

I have to be honest, I bought the beer for the bottle art. It is very cool. After hours of letting it chill I cracked one. It poured nicely, with a nice rich color. It clung nicely to the glass with each sip.
The taste was, as expected, very hoppy, which I have come to enjoy over the years. It leaves a great feel and aftertaste.
This is not a session beer in my opinion, but it is very good.
Give it a try, you wont be disappointed, unless of course you think Rolling Rock is good, then just stay away!
Happy Drinking

powoo19, Apr 25, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a dark reddish amber color with a massive foamy white head that coats the sides of the glass with thick sheets of lace as it recedes into a creamy lace. Nose is dominated by spicy and floral hops with some additional notes of pine oil. Medium to full-bodied with a slick mouthfeel due to all the hop oils. Taste starts off with strong raw hop leaf flavors followed by some notes of sweet malts and a juicy fruitiness followed yet again by strong bitter hop resins and tannins. A marvelous IPA. Thanks to paceyourself for the sample!

Morris729, Apr 24, 2003