Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

On Tap @ Anam Cara

Medium head, white that was mostly lasting. Slight hop aroma but I was not able to detect much more. Flavor had some surprises, with a slight aprocot and light grapefruit flavor. Sweet to start with a moderate hop flavor finish that was not too strong. Light to medium bodied ale with lively carbonation. Nice representation of the style not too over the top with hop flavor and some really nice tastes on the palate.

dweideman, Nov 08, 2003
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

The day before tasting the bottle for review, I had this cask at Mugs Ale house. I like the beer much better on draft; the lower carbonation smooths the flavors out substantially. Appearance: Reddish orange, clear, thin head, but fairly retentive. Aroma: very subdued due to low carbonation, but hops are apparent. Taste: Big hops, but malt is apparent, not as overpowered as in bottle. Mouthfeel is very smooth at low carbonation. Very drinkable.

saltydog, Nov 05, 2003
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

I finally had a chance to pick up a six pack of this brew in one of my local liquor stores. I had just finished the 1/6 keg of Dogfish head's "Shelter Pale Ale" (I'll review that next) and I was ready for a change. Since visiting this site I never go out to the beer store without a list of recommendations (too bad the stores in Middletown, DE are limited in selection) from writers here. Anyway, this beer is fantastic. The color was a beautiful bronze hue, a bit cloudy but enticing none the less. I like my beer very cold (on the lower side of the recommended 36 degree's) and this may have an effect on the cloudiness of the brew. After opening the bottle I was greeted with a wave of hops, hops and more hops. Not overpowering but very present. The beer poured with a thin head that disappeared and formed a nice lace down the glass. The taste was awe inspiring... I really mean it. I wasn't through my first glass when I jumpted back on the site and hit the homebrewers section. Then I came back to my senses.... I'll let other craftsman perfect their art for now. The taste had a nice caramel sweetness, much less fruity than the Shelter Pale Ale I was drinking and the hops really cut through and seemed to lighten everything up. It has a kick too, 3 or more and you have the smile on your face (especially when the Yankees are beating the Sox in game 7).

Overall, I love it and I'm proud to say this is a local beer for me --- Downington, PA is not more than an hour away. I WILL take a trip to the Victory Brew Pub as soon as I can.

This is my first review, so go easy. I don't know all the "catch phrases" and I don't know how to put into words the particulars just yet, but I'm learning and I love good beer.

Gasp100, Oct 25, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

HopDevil pours with a small light tan head that only gets to about a half an inch at the most and reduces to a thin lace. The color is dark amber, almost copper. As expected (and hoped for) there’s a big hop aroma of juicy citrus notes. The aroma isn’t quite as biting and grapefruity as some other big IPAs, and it seems a little sweeter from some caramel malts. The body and carbonation are medium. There’s a good malt backbone that starts a little sweet. This brew is very well balanced, and the hops are never overbearing. However, the hops are a little harsher the some other IPAs. This really isn’t much of a problem though. There’s a citric bitterness in the finish that lingers for a bit. Very drinkable IPA that I enjoyed immensely. I’ve been typically purchasing beers by singles. The flaw in this method is that whenever I try a great brew I don’t have anymore to follow.

byrd, Oct 24, 2003
4.68/5  rDev +14.7%

The american IPA has finally reached the pinnacle of its evolution, and its name is Hopdevil. This was my second encounter with the Hopdevil, having visited the brewery in 2001. It was even better than I remembered. A blast of citrusy american hops assaults one upon opening the bottle - definitely some Cascade, and I wouldn't be surprised if some Centennial was lurking in there as well. It pours a dark golden brown with a rich white head. The flavor is the perfect union of sharp hops and crisp maltiness. Naturally, it is out of balance and strongly weighted towards the hops, but the hops do not suppress the other complex flavors in the beer. Any idiot can fill a brew kettle to the top with hops and call it an IPA, but the skill of the brewer is revealed by brewing a beer that satisfies the hopheads and still has loads of malt character. In my opinion, this is one of the top five craft brews that I have tasted.

soilguy, Oct 22, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Wow!…is this ever a powerfully hopped IPA!!!. It pours an orange-tinged amber/copper with a nice offsetting trim of beige head. A big whiff of fresh floral hop is noticed upon opening. The lightly sweet caramel malt has a toasty background flavor. Big white grapefruit bitterness leaps out as fresh under-ripe oranges and a lightly metallic tang add dimension and snap to the overall hop theme. A mild herbal quality ever so slightly tempers the sharp edginess of this brew, making it high drinkable despite its high alpha- acid content.

BeerResearcher, Oct 15, 2003
4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Had it on cask at Sunset in Allston.

Haven't had the bottled version in a while (and liked that quite a bit), but this beer is absolutely fantastic in a cask.

Poured a clear, deep golden orange, with little to no head. The scent was remarkable, hop resins, pine, citric acid, slight alcohol.

Taste was phenomenal. hoppy, but not overdone or out of balance, resinous, slightly astringent, a slight warming from the alcohol. Really, I cannot say enough good things about this.. Medium bodied, smooth, refreshing, a joy.

Drinkability, let's just say they could park my barstool next to the beer engine and I would pour this one all night. Get your ass to Sunset, even if you hate the place, because I don't know of anywhere else in boston to get this amazing beer..I'm getting thirsty just typing about it..

mydeadguy, Oct 12, 2003
4.53/5  rDev +11%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – This was a work of art. The body was a gorgeous, deep dark orange with a monster head that rose and rose. I couldn’t stop staring at the lacing that it left when it finally went down.

Smell – Extremely complex hop profile. I think just about every type of hop must be represented in this ale. There’s also a subtle yet distinct malt balance, but this one is all about the beautiful hop scent.

Taste – The complex aromas found there way into the taste. The hops were very well balanced, and made this one a pleasure to consume. The malt backbone was enough to balance, but this one certainly is all about the hops.

Mouthfeel – Medium-bodied with a bit of carbonation. The exceptional balance of this ale made it feel terrific in the mouth.

Drinkability – This was a terrific IPA that was exceptionally smooth, tasty, and exciting all at the same time.

Update – I thought I’d revisit my review 10 years later. The incredible mouthfeel stands out to me again. It is so smooth it just disappears from the glass. This one will never grow old.

RoyalT, Oct 08, 2003
4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

This was a pretty good brew. Not my favorite, but pretty good, none the less. It had a nice orange color pushing a well lacing head. The smell was that of flowers. I don't know why, that's what I got. A hoppy taste, but at the same time it was very malty. Kind of its own contradiction. There was more than enough in it to balance things out. It was a good beer. I like it.

CBFanWish, Oct 08, 2003
4.72/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Good Moogly-Googly! What a beer! Poured an amber-orange color with a beautiful head and good lacing. Very hoppy-floral aroma. Good rich mouthfeel. The taste was complex with a vicious malt vs.
hop battle waging with the ultimate winner being your tastebuds. I don't think I've had a more balanced IPA. Very drinkable, highly recommended and certainly worth seeking out.

rkhaze, Oct 05, 2003
4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a nice orange / amber color, with a thick head. The floral nose is extremely prevelant, with hints of sweetness. Extremely well balanced, the malt and hops dance together on the tongue, producing a crisp bitterness that slowly fades after swallowing. The glass develops nice lacework as the liquid is emptied. Extremely smooth and drinkable. The consistancy of this product over the past few years has been incredible, and this is an IPA others should try to emulate.

Gavage, Oct 04, 2003
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle. Freshness date stamped on label.

Deep ruddy amber color. Slight haze. Pours a thick, sticky off-white head that leaves considerable sheets of lacing. Moderate head retention. Just a quick swirl and the aroma tells you that this beer means business. Heavy duty hop nose with sweet floral and pine hints. A slight bready malt scent is detectable as well. Being prepared for a full-on frontal hops assault, I was pleasantly surprised when tasting this beer. The hops are the star of the show here, but they are not at all overwhelming. Not what I would call balanced, but not ridiculously mouth smacking bitter either.

Starts off smooth with a touch of malt before the hops kick in. The hops then give a sharp initial sting, but turn to a more subtle melange of flavors. Citrusy and earthy tastes over a light toasted malt, which surprisingly doesn’t get buried by the hops. The finish is sweet and fruity with a lingering aftertaste. Mouthfeel is slightly slick with light carbonation.

This one takes no prisioners and is crafted to damn near perfection. HopDevil is very drinkable and a first rate representation of the style.

silks636, Sep 30, 2003
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Orange gold color. Medium head. Aroma is floral hops and slight malts. A medium bodied IPA. It's also fairly malty for an IPA. Yet the malt sweetness is balanced by the nicely spicy hops. This is not one of those in-your-face West Coast IPA, yet it's still retains that nice IPA character. A very nice smooth balance between the malts and hops. Nice IPA, very drinkable. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

beerguy101, Sep 30, 2003
4.08/5  rDev 0%

Okay, knowing that IPA's are not my favorite style of beer (actually, pretty far from it) and I really don't care for over-the-top hop-bomb brews, I still took it upon myself to give a beer named "HopDevil" a go.
HopDevil poured a livid orangish amber color with a lively apricot-tinged off-white head that endured quite a while and left nice rings of lace.
Smell was pretty much what I expected: citrus and piney hoppiness. However, it wasn't off the chart and had a mild caramel toffee note to counterbalance things.
Taste was surprising for me. I got the expected charge of grapefruit and pine but intermingled was a mild sweet fruitiness and toffee flavor that really made this a hit for me.
Feel was medium-bodied, smooth, and pretty dry.
I found HopDevil to be a pleasant surprise. While distinctly hoppy, Victory did a nice job of keeping things from getting totally out of control. While IPA's may not be my favorite style, HopDevil certainly is a fine contribution. A well crafted beer I'd actually like to get again, preferably on tap if I can find it.

Boilermaker88, Sep 25, 2003
4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

A creamy head covers the dark amber color of this brew. It smells strong of hops and tastes the same. A bitter brew but not as much as other IPAs. This American IPA is probably one of the best I tasted. It is pretty awesome and my favorite Victory brew. 6.7% is a good amount of alcohol and will surely be enjoyable.

AbePhroman, Sep 24, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

This beer has a creamy beige head, that helps to show off a nice deep amber color. An aroma of floral hops. Hoppy tasting with notes of lychee, definitely American hops in this one. There is loads of hop flavor in this one, along with a pleasing bitterness. This beer was not as bitter as I was expecting, but it is very well balanced with a subdued maltiness.

Gueuzedude, Sep 22, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Served chilled in a pint glass. Best by date of Jan 2, 2004.

Appearance: Clear copper colored liquid topped by an meager off-white head. Little retention and OK lacing. A little too dark for an IPA.

Smell: A lovely bouquet of hoppiness. Great balance of spruce and grapefruit aromas. Toffee lurks in the background, waiting to greet you.

Taste: Sweet caramel malts in a lovefest with bitter hops. Sharing is indeed caring as they morph quite nicely into each other. Don't all IPA's gots to be hop monstahs!

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, but not all that filling. Just right.

Drinkability: Great session beer, not so hopped out as to preclude an extended session. Glad this sucker is relatively local and brewed year round.

ManekiNeko, Sep 20, 2003
3.1/5  rDev -24%

Really sticky. Caramelly malts. Sweet hoppyness, with a dry hoppy finish??? piney lychee hops (and, yes, sticky), sharp and unbalanced hoppyness, i can't believe how boring it ended up being, considering the amount of flavour in it. Lots of flavour though, pretty tasty.

rastaman, Sep 18, 2003
4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is one smooth IPA! In general I'm not a huge fan of the style. I find most-especially domestic IPA's to be simply too overdone. This offering however is real easy to like. From the moment the beer hits the glass it impresses. deep burnt orange/copper in color, the beer sports a mouth wateringly attractive creamy,beige head. Aromas while certainly hoppy are balanced nicely by an almost sweet, malty biscuit component. Flavors are as well hoppy, yet again the bitterness is counterbalanced by a toasty, delicious roasted, maltiness. Especially nice is this beers mouthfeel-lovely, round, full bodied, and very creamy in texture. This is a stand out beverage even for those who don't go crazy for the style. By the way, the finish on this beer lasts a good solid minute!!!

moulefrite, Sep 10, 2003
4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

My 50th review. On tap at Cambridge Common. This is one hell of a beer.
Appearance: Nice copper color, with a creamy head that follows the sides of the glass all the way down, stays around to mock me.
Smell: Hops, citrus hops, grapefruit hops. Did I mention hops..?
Taste: Holy damn. This beer is trying to kick my ass. Intense hop juice flavors, but the malt makes this a full-bodied beer, they try to show their presence, but get thoroughly schooled by the hops. Some field green flavors, but dominated by the sweet hops.
Mouthfeel: Full and satisfying.
Drinkability: I can't take much more of this.
Very appropriately named beer. An amazing offering if you love hops. I'm slowly coming around.

chaduvel, Sep 09, 2003
4.58/5  rDev +12.3%

I think this is my favorite way to enjoy HopDevil. I had it up at Zeno's in State College, PA. The lack of carbonation makes this particular devil particularly smooth and definately TOO easy to imbibe. Excellent hoppy beer. Lots of american hops, citrusy etc. But the malt profile of this beer is also remarkable. A very complex malt flavor that adds to this beers overall pleasantness.

cerevisiaephilus, Sep 08, 2003
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance: Pours a darkish, kind of burnt amber color with a small off-white head.

Smell: Hops. Period. It smells like you’re holding a wonderful bouquet of liquid hops.

Taste: Smoothly bitter with a hoppy finish that blooms on the palate.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied, creamy with a light fizz.

Drinkability: I have a hard time answering this one. HopDevil is a great beer, but almost overwhelming. I don’t know if I could see myself pounding down a bunch of them.

Comments: This is my kind of IPA. I love Hops, and the Devil delivers! I wish they brewed this stuff when I lived in Philly. Thankfully, it’s findable out here in Oregon. I plan to keep a few bottles in my stash.

jtfest, Sep 06, 2003
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Similar to my review of this beer from the bottle. The major difference is in the aroma, which blooms here to even higher heights.

I promise you, you could smell this beer from across the bar room.

Pair it with some savory food -- preferably something greasy. You won't be disappointed.

ithacabaron, Sep 05, 2003
4.88/5  rDev +19.6%

Had to review again to once again be in amazement of this beer. It is so straightforward and simply put together, yet produces an amazing array of tastes and textures. No sugars or spices, no special fermentations, just excellent rich malts flavored with the whole flower hops. Sometimes this beer comes on like an IPA, sometimes like an Alt, with a little bit of Stout thrown in for good measure. At about a buck a beer from most PA distributors, this most reviewed of beers proves that even though it is not number 1, you give up nothing for being the most popular.

beernbbq, Sep 03, 2003
3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

I tried the Hopdevil on draft tonight, after having had it bottled before; I must say it's quite different on draft. Color is a nice deep orange, with a little tan head. The hop aroma didn't seem quite as aggressive as the bottled version, but is very present, along with a nice malt and bready balance. Blended into the aroma are hints of pine and citrus, but well subdued. Taste is very hoppy, but not unbalanced, reasonably sweet with a hint of oak and piney goodness. The malt is more noticeable than the bottled version as well, making the draft a well rounded brew. Goes down very smooth with a sweet, slight hop-bittterness left on the back of the tongue.

mikeys01, Sep 01, 2003