Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
4.53/5  rDev +11%

This beer presents in a 12oz. brown bottle with the freshness date marked. It pours a one finger beige head that has good retention and laces nicely. The beer has a very slight haze and is dark amber in color. A great looking beer.

The aroma is a beautiful thing. A strong hop smell that almost reminds me of freshly cut grass. A great aroma. The first taste is perfect. Slightly sweet malt at first that smoothly transitions into a perfectly strong hop bitterness. Good hop character that is not overwhelming. The beautiful bitterness lasts for quite awhile in the back of the throat. Magnificently balanced. The mouthfeel is medium in body and goes well with the beer. A incredibly drinkable beer.

crackerpooch, Apr 30, 2004
4.53/5  rDev +11%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours to a semi-cloudy medium-amber, forming a poofy, whipped dark biege head with excellent retention and clumpy lacing. Carbonation is moderate. Aroma is citric, fruity, leafy, juicy, piney hops with a touch of cannabis skunk. Very nice, running the gamut of hop aromas. Mouthfeel is fresh, clean, somewhat soft, with a touch of hop astringency in the finish, and a medium-dense body. Taste is wonderful....full of the juicy sweet fruity hops I mentioned but exquisitely balanced with a smooth malt body with caramel overtones and a little residual sugars to balance out the hops during the lightly toasty finish. Full of hop flavor, yet never caustic or acidic, this is a masterly brew. Bitterness level is very nice, but has a touch of fatiguing leafy harshness towards the end.

In my experience, this IPA is 2nd only to Two-Hearted. This is an amazingly well-crafted brew that I could gladly drink all night. The hops are intoxicating, yet never overbearing. This brew makes me smile from ear to ear. World-class.

Mitchster, Apr 30, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: Dark golden brown with a three-finger head. Looks pretty intimidating.
Smell: A little less hoppy than I thought, still pretty present though.
Taste: A big blast of hops followed by a big blast of bitterness. This one leaves the mouth pretty dry.
Mouthfeel: Perfectly carbonated.
Drinkability: I was a little let down by this IPA, but it's still good and can be enjoyed in most situations.

jvajda, Apr 27, 2004
4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours to a frothy, permanent head and orange color. Aroma was typically hoppy. Flavor was more complex than the typical American IPA, with distinctive British fruitiness and spicy hop flavor mingled with malty sweetness. Finishes nicely bitter and refreshing. A very good bottled IPA. This stuff must be even better on tap.

EagleTalon, Apr 26, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

This is my first brush with a victory beer. I was very excited to taste this beer after reading so many great reviews of this brewery. I picked up a 6 of this for $7.30 (after tax) from a wholesaler here in Virginia Beach.

Poured out real nice, creating a frothy, thick head that rested gently for a long period of time. The color was a rich copper- slighlty orange.

Mouthfeel was medium, with citrus flavors reminiscent of lemon and orange coming through. It reminded me slightly of "Three Floyd's Alpha King". Very crisp and zesty; easy to drink. The hops were distinct, but not overbearing. All in all, it was a very refreshing, well balanced beer that I am sure I will enjoy again and again!

....I can't wait to try the Storm King Stout!

andyo, Apr 24, 2004
3.83/5  rDev -6.1%

A very solid IPA, and one step away from a truly great beer.

Pours a little cloudy, with a small, but sticky head. Deep roasted colors are a feast for the eyes.

Smell of toasted grains and caramels followed by a big wallop of hops.

Feels nice and chewy in the mouth, small hints of of sweetness, caramel, and roasted malts. Sometimes notes of Cotten candy pop out. The hops come on big in the back of the mouth, rocking all over the senses. Sometimes they feel just too apbrasive though. It's great, but a touch too much for me.

Charthepirate, Apr 23, 2004
4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

This is a beautiful beer. Nice head, off-white some what brown, leaves a nice lace on the side of the glass. Smells wonderful, there must be hops in there. And there most certainly are. The taste is amazing, lovely hops exploding all over the taste buds-spicy: tastes graet and feels great This has become one of my favorites.

BadBadger, Apr 20, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

April '04 review:
Tan head atop this dark copper colored beer.
Bold aroma of piney, floral hops with pale caramel malt underneath.
Big piney, floral hop flavor. Pale caramel malt backbone that falls a bit short of balancing this beer. Relatively smooth, yet very bold and hoppy.
Good mouthfeel and drinkability.
Maybe not quite as high up on the chart now that I've sampled more IPA's, but still darn good.

11/02 review:
I mandated a pitstop at Victory's while driving through PA on a family vacation. I had the Hop Devil on tap and brought some home. This is probably my favorite IPA. Agressively hopped, but not overly bitter with an awesome flavor. Nice aroma. Beautiful coppery color I love in my IPA's and pale ales. This is one of those beers I appreciated more and more the more I drank. It left me longing for more. Much to my delight, they now distribute to Ohio. I must admit that overall, I wasn't impressed with many of Victory's other beers. Not that they were bad, but the Hop Devil and their Storm King Imperial Stout seemed to be a notch or 2 above the rest of their lineup. But the Hop Devil is absolutely top notch and always welcome in my refrigerator.

PhantomVodoo, Apr 18, 2004

The Hop Devil pours a copper-orange with a pillowy off-white head that has good retention and exhibits some lacing.

Its aroma is strong hops with a nice citrus balance, along with some malty cookie underneath.

The taste is fruit and bready malt initially followed by a big piney hop bang. The hops are nice and strong with a lingering bitter taste, but the beer remains very nicely balanced. More malts come out as the beer warms. It has a nice smooth and creamy mouthfeel.

Overall, this is an excellent IPA.

Beaver13, Apr 15, 2004
3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

Enjoy by May 13, 04 (sampled 4/14/04). Bottle wasn’t quite full, a lot of headspace. Given recent posts on how this beer doesn’t age well, this might be a factor.
Aroma: Combination of spicy and fruity hops with a hint of malt base.
Appearance: Nice clear amber with yellow tinged edges. Multi-sized bubble light tan head that left spots of lace as it receded, but not much.
Flavor: The malt is subtle but really keeps the hops in check. I found that the malt started to show late in the beer as it started to warm. Hops are of course the main show, but their act is somewhat restrained. This really struck me as more of a pale ale than an IPA. The hop taste is well presented, but just a little low-key with some tea like flavors.
Mouthfeel: Noted some hop oil in the feel and a little alcohol burn in the finish of this medium to heavy bodied beer. Oily coat lasts. The beer is pretty smooth and soft.
Overall Impression: Wow, what a let down. I paid big bucks to get this shipped to me given the reputation it had, and while it nicely presented a hop taste, there just wasn’t any “bang”. Drinkability doesn’t suffer, I’d gladly drink these at length, but I’m not ordering any more. If it was the local tap, I could see getting excited about this drinkable IPA, but the beer just was too mild mannered. Hop DEVIL? Devil took my $20 bill and vanished in the air. I just don’t see this as a top 20 beer. Good, yes. Outstanding? Not to me.

HardTarget, Apr 15, 2004
3.03/5  rDev -25.7%

Golden-leaning copper topped by thin bone suds.
Malty nose (yes, malty). And fairly vacant too. Caramel toast with glimmers of herb-coated citrus fruits. Just a touch piney as well. It all seems so rote and unnoteworthy.

This is a highly-esteemed IPA?

Seriously?

Maltiness holds up well enough. There's goodly amounts of caramel-draped bread dough. So far, so good. It turns a bit toasty later on. Alright. Well done.
But then...
The hops dribble out. Premature ejactulation-style. Lightly piney and floral and citric. But not in any sort of cohesion. And without any force. The finish is tea-bittered, and weak.
The thinnish mouthfeel does not help matters.
I've had high regards for every other Victory product I've consumed. Hence, I entered with large expectations. But this....this left me scratching my head, and wondering why anyone gives a shit about it.
Maybe absolutely fresh makes all the difference. But right now, absolute indifference is all I feel.
Thanks, anyway, Bighuge, for the opportunity.

cokes, Apr 07, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

This poured to a nice brownish orange with an outstanding head. It's leaving a thick lace that looks great.

The smell has just a touch of pine along with that nice punch of hops. The hops do dominate but it's still pretty well blended. Alcohol becomes evident in the finish.

Not quite perfect, this is still a very good beer

watermelonman, Apr 04, 2004
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

While going to see a friend's band perform at the North Star bar, I was pleasantly surprised to find this on tap. It poured out a hazy copper color with a creamy thick semi-tan head. The smell was dominated by a sweet-fruity aroma with a sweet malt undertone. The taste was very similar to that of the aroma, as it was full of bitter hops and some spices. While the hops are over-powering, they are not overwhelming at all. The mouthfeel is extremely smooth. I could easily sit back and enjoy several of these before I realized how many I actually had. Kudos to Victory for creating this wonderful IPA!

DaveGood, Apr 04, 2004
4.08/5  rDev 0%

Wonderfully hoppy bouqet emanating from a tall, light peach head with great retention, leaving moderate lacing. Deep caramel-amber body is pretty clear. It's full for this style, with moderate carbonation. Can't detect the spice the label claims is in here, the only shortfall. Amazingly heavy with malts balanced well with the hops, fruity undertones stimulating the palate. An interesting brew, and although I like my IPAs extremely hoppy, this is an excellent example of the style; very rich and full of flavor.

And hey, isn't the illustration on the label the cutest thing? Hops with horns and a devilish smile, quite characteristic of this brew. If you haven't tried IPAs, try this, then the Dogfish 60, and work your way up. Once you go hop, you never stop.

ism, Apr 03, 2004
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

I'm not a big fan of IPAs. So, I was ready to be disappointed with all of the hype. But I wasn't disappointed. This is probably the best IPA I've had.

I had it in a bottle ($3.50) at Monk's in Philly.
It was darker than I was expecting from an IPA. It was dark in Monk's but, to me, it still looked more dark than than golden.
Lots of hops obviously, but I don't think they kill you. They balance it well enough (I guess with the high alcohol content? -I know it's probably in a beer 101 article).

If you like IPA you'll like it...if you don't like IPA you might like it anyway.

govtmule, Mar 31, 2004
4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

Ahh Hopdevil, how I love thee.

I'm a fan of the IPA style of beer, and I believe that Hopdevil is exemplary of the style. Big on malt and hops, this beer satisfies.

The pour reveals a pretty amber color, fairly clear with only a hint of haze (I can read this screen, albeit backwards, through my pint glass). The aroma is strongly hoppy, with a bit of malt behind it. A half-inch or so of head forms, then diminishes to a lacy covering. A good bit of lacing occurs on the side of the glass as the beer inevitably dwindles within.

The first taste is hoppy in flavor, and surprisingly well balanced between the bitterness and malty sweetness. One normally expects an IPA to be hoppy, and this one is, but not to the detriment of the malt base. The mouthfeel is substantial but not cloying, with hop oils playing a leading role. The sweetness of the malt and bitterness from the hops leave a very balanced sensation, from beginning to end. Carbonation is spot on, and supports the mouthfeel perfectly.

Overall, this beer is extremely satisfying, and well worth the $8ish per sixpack at which i can acuire it locally. It has become a staple in my beer fridge. Definitely one of my favorite, and most drinakable, commercial IPAs. (The other is Tupper's Hop Pocket).

Lafe, Mar 29, 2004
3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a dark golden, yellow color with quick, but generous head...a head that sticks to the glass for the duration of the beer. Smells exciting -full of hops, hops, and probably some more hops.

So why not? I took a sip and of course the beer was jumping in my face with hops. I was glad. I like the hops - and this beer delivers.

BUT(and there is always a but), as delicoius as this beer is, they didn't seem to bother to provide a complex series of hops. I have enjoyed some IPAs and other hoppy style beers lately which provide hits of hops to different areas of the tongue and mouth. This beer does not do that. This beer simply beats you square in the mouth and surrounds your whole mouth with hops.

So in short, good in flavor, poor in subtlety.

GuinnessSmurf, Mar 23, 2004
3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Off-white colored head disappeared to a ring and some film and left no lace. The beer was golden amber in color and fairly transparent. The aroma was of spicy hops. Smooth, light, and refreshing beer. Mostly piney hops in the aroma with a decent bite.

HappyHourHero, Mar 21, 2004
3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

Deep amber colour with an off-white head that doesn't last very long. Faint smell of fruit and hops. My nose is somewhat suprised, it was expecting more. Starts out with a mild fruityness that i really enjoy. Then i get what im here looking for, hops. I was anticipating a firm hop filled kick to the mouth, but what i got was more like a gentle placing of my beloved herb on my tongue.

MrNuggets, Mar 19, 2004
3.48/5  rDev -14.7%

Clear amber body wearing a thin sticky off-white head. Aroma is bready, toasty not unlike a good pilsner's, but with a huge cascade profile (grapefruit, orange) and traces of earth and honey. Taste is typicla to high alpha-acid hops IPA, very lemony, grapefruity. A tart and bitter mix with no stand out quality. Body is clean, rather thin with a biting carbonation. Overrated from my perspective, not even among my favorite half of the style I believe, but the aroma is good and quite complex. Thanks to The_Beer_God though!

Rastacouere, Mar 15, 2004

Appearance: It was a nice clear ruby color with a beautiful sticky off-white lace. The head settled slow but was very nice.

The smell was of fresh hops. A very grapefruit flavor.

The taste was very sweet and malty. Much more malty that I had expected. It was very mild for an IPA I thought. There was a slight tinny flavor at the end that wasn't very pelasant.

The mouthfeel was a good consitency. For how malty it was it had a nice consitency.

A very drinkable brew. I could make this a session brew. At 6.7 it is weighing in slightly for a session brew but I think it could happen.

Ellbert, Mar 06, 2004
3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

on tap at Redbone's

I see very little head on a clear reddish copper brew, and smell only a faint little suggestion of hops.

But it tastes hoppy all right, with creamy, lingering resin that clings to your tongue with piny persistance, while fierce little scrubby bubbles work the resin deeper. This is all about the hops, the malt forming only a vague background. A pleasant little devil.

gentlebubbles, Feb 26, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -11%

12ox bottle, drink by date.

Apperance: Nice foamy head that sticks around and laces the glass. Khaki color. The brew is red apricot or an amber honey.

Nose: Great. Sweet, grapefruit, a little honey,

Taste: What a bite. it's like this one fights you at first and then gives up just before you swallow. It's very bitter. id say if someone made a tea from hops, this is what it would taste like. The first taste is pure hops and then it chills out to be frothy, grassy, earthy. the hops comes back and bites you before you are done.

Notes: better than i thought. If you like your hops, this is it.

travolta, Feb 26, 2004

HopDevil pours clean into a pint glass with a considerable pillowy off-white head nearly two-fingers thick, and remains about ½-finger thick from start to finish.. The color is reddish brown, like cinnamon.

In the nose, the aroma has hints of malt, raspberry and caramel, all of which are present bringing the aroma into the mouth. It is surprisingly complex.

The first sip offers an expected but pleasantly strong floral hop character. What I do not expect is the malt: it's very evident and underpins the hops perfectly. It has a very light mouthfeel, which is an achievement given the strong malt character, and the carbonation is spot on for the style: medium-to-high and very crisp. At its coldest, it doesn't appear too complex: the malts and hops are dominant and at first do not offer any other characteristics. As it warms mid glass, the above-average alcohol becomes evident, but balances perfectly with the malts and hops. Orange zest flavors start to sneak in at the finish.

JimsArcade, Feb 25, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Its all been said before. This is one of the best IPA's being made in the US. Wonderful, deep amber color with excellent head retention and cling. Great balance and intensley hoppy, both in flavor and bitterness. Aroma is all pine and wildflowers. Carmalized fruit flavors and resinous hop blend perfectly. Lingering bitter hop aftertaste.
Is good... More please!