Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,452 | Hads: 6,969
3.5/5  rDev -14%

Appears as a nice amber color you'd expect with a beer of this sort, nice light caramel-colored head, with really impressive lacing that lasts all the way until finish and then dries on the side of the glass!

Smell is hops, piney (good) w/alcohol (sadly). I like a well-hidden ABV but all things considered this is nothing to prevent a hopehead from wanting to try this beer as it is far from boozey in flavor.

Taste is lightly piney hop forward, and finishes off chewy with more citrus notes and some other notes. This may have been a little too cold when I started and got better as it warmed slightly.

Mouthfeel is average. Nothing bad mind but nothing spectacular. A little hard on the palate but it's called Hopdevil so what do you expect?

Drinkability is average. Again, just nothing really spectacular about it. I'll say this: there are many IPAs on the market and many of them are good and this is as good as any of those.

This does not classify as world-class or excellent but like I mentioned, is perfectly refreshing and nice and I'd drink it again.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

Pours a muddy copper colored hue. Nice inch high head, good lacing.

Smell, and taste, is pure hops. Some grapefruit , some grassy flavoring ...maybe a bit of pine. No real malt or fruit flavors to balance it out.

Considering that I loved, loved, loved the Hop Wallop, I was expecting to enjoy this more. It's a good beer, but for a "hop bomb" it lacks the complexity or drinkability of the Ballast Point or Stone brews I keep returning to.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Orange amber pour with about two fingers of rich foam. Head retention is outstanding, and there's some quickly-falling lacing on the glass.

Aroma is a nice collection of bitter citric hops, sweet caramel malt, and a bready/grainy scent.

Well, the name HopDevil is appropriate, because the flavor profile begins and ends with bitter hops. The hop flavor is citrus peel, all the way, so it really actually tastes less like a citrus fruit, and more like that herbal piney bitterness. The bitterness is unfortunately quite harsh, and fairly unpleasant. I'm not sure what happened after that delightful nose.

Body is medium-full. Somewhat crisp, dry finish. The finger or so of foam that remains throughout aids HopDevil's creaminess.

The only previous time I had tasted this beer was a 2 oz sample at a fest, and I remembered that I didn't like it, but I had consumed enough previous samples that I couldn't remember what about it I didn't like. Now I remember. An IPA can be very hoppy, and very bitter, while still being flavorful and tasty. HopDevil misses that mark.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

Solid. I don't seek it out, but I never turn it down. Maybe it was because Michael Jackson admitted he was a Hop Devil addict, maybe it is because its just that good. I put it right there with SNPA, maybe a little above, maybe closer to Torpedo.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

Beer pours an amber color with a 1 finger head that fades quickly, some lacing present in glass. Upfront smell is of mild hops and slight malt. Taste of hops is good and is preceeded by slight malt taste, balanced but leaning more to the hop side, which is not a bad thing.

A good brew but not outstading. Hops do not flow together with the sweeter malt the is present as one might expect from a IPA with it's color and malt profile and tend to be more on the harsh end.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy copper color with low clarity. The head is a one finger light khaki shade with some fantastic lacing. It also retains itself rather nicely.

S: More piny than citrusy. The hops have a strong black pepper vibe to them, while the maltiness seems almost toasted.

T: Just like the aroma, its a pine-based IPA - which isn't necessarily my preferred type of IPA. The label calls this 'spicy' and I'm inclined to agree. All of the bitterness in this brew seems to be located midpalate, as the maltiness is semi-strong to start, while the finish sees general bitterness subside in favor of a peppery hop flavor. Even if it's not horribly interesting, I'd say it's a good example of a 'balanced' IPA.

M: I think it's about 5-10% overcarbonated in general. Still, it balances nicely between wet and dry on the finish, leaning towards dry somewhat. I won't call it 'refreshing', but I will call it easy to down.

O: For better or worse, it's a bog standard IPA. Basically, if you've had SN Torpedo or FW Union Jack, you'll know what to expect here. I'd gladly get it again so long as its fresh.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

You know, I'm a little hesitant to review this beer because I remember it being better in the past. Oh well, here goes:

A: Very good. Orange-amber with a one-inch head. Leaves plenty of lacing, too. However, I have to comment that the carbonation appears lacking. 4/5

S: Very funky - almost like old milk. I just confirmed from Victory's website, however, that they used wild Belgian yeast in making this beer. THAT explains a lot. Can detect caramel and amber malt, Belgian yeast, citrus and grapefruit. However, the beer has an old milky smell imparted from the Belgian yeast. Kind of a turn-off. 3/5

T: Just alright. Taste follows the nose. Lots of caramel, toffee from the malt, lemony and grapefruit from the hops, stale bread and milk from the wild yeast. Would've been great except for the last part. 3.5/5

M: Good. Nice and smooth. 4/5

O: A solid beer but I really didn't like the addition of Belgian wild yeast. 3.5/5.0

Review input from notes

Deep orange colored body. Slightly hazy but nothing that detracts from the beer. Two finger eggshell colored head rests atop. The head recedes rather quickly leaving a modest amount of lacing.

The first thing I notice in Hop Devil is a biscuity malt presence. While it is not the predominant aroma, it is a bit more assertive than I would expect for the style. Pine dominant hop aroma is accompanied by pleasant floral and subtle citrus scents.

Sweet bready malt rolls on to the tongue, this is soon overwhelmed by a strong piney bitterness. The hop profile comes off as a bit too one dimensional. There simple is not enough citrus or floral flavors to compliment the overwhelming pine bite.

Medium bodied, appropriate carbonation. The finish is on the drier side and is what should be expected from the style.

Hop Devil just does not do it for me. The hop flavor is not to my liking, I find it a bit abrasive. Not a bad beer, others seem to really like it however it is not one I will seek out.

12 oz bottle poured into a pint

A - Light brown in color. Little head formation, which really only was a film. The beer has some clouding.

S - Grapefruit and sweet hop flavors. Floral. Good alpha acid base here. Some malty notes in the background.

T - Early flavors are not all that defined. Bitter and biting - immediately puckers me up. Not as much hop flavor. Does start to develop some balance towards the end of the flavor. The after taste is very bitter, dry. Bitter forward beer for sure.

M - The beer is light to medium bodied. Lighter than I would have expected for this kind of beer. Leaves one heck of a thick oily film on the tongue. Little carbonation bite.

D - The bitterness is just a bit too strong to be a session beer. The ABV is on the higher side, but not to the point that I would find this hard to drink more than a few. The beer is not really all that filling fortunately.

3.49/5  rDev -14.3%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks to 67couple for this.

A: Dark copper/amber color. Very clear. One and a half finger slightly yellow tinted white head, thick, with awesome retention and great lacing.

S: Not a big aroma from this one. Mostly sweet caramel malts. Some toffee. A super light pine scent.

T: Very malty. Lots of caramel and toffee. A hint of floral hop bitterness.

M: Medium bodied. Very creamy. Light carbonation.

O: Pretty much a malt bomb. Looking at the label I'm 3 weeks over the "Enjoy By" date. 7-14-11. Guess I need to get this one fresh and give it another try.

3.49/5  rDev -14.3%

12 oz bottle.

Deep, clear amber color. Frothy tan head.
To be honest, I didn't pick up much of anything on the aroma..quite odd actually, considering the taste is very hop-driven. Light caramel malts and a touch of hops, that's it.
The taste is definitely more bold, with an earthy malt presence and a thick blanket of floral hops.
I'll probably take hell for this, but I think HopDevil is certainly one of the more overrated IPAs out there. I've tried it a number of times and I've yet to be blown away by it. Worth a shot, absolutely. Near the top of it's class? Not in my book..

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

Best by date of April 16th poured into a tulip.

Pours a nice clear amber with good lacing.

My nose has been ruined lately by all the Hopslam and Double Trouble, but I still pick up some mild hop aroma and malt.

With a name like HopDevil I was expecting more up front, but I really like the finish. Very smooth sweet malty finish with hoppy bitterness coming through at the very end.

Very easy to drink. I could easily drink a number of these in the course of a night. Solid offering.

12oz bottle into a pint glass

A - Hazy copper with good head retention and lacing from top to bottom

S - The sweet malt aroma comes through rather than the more citrus smell I am used to from the hoppier beers I have tried

T - A sharp bitter bite to this beer, yet again I find the malt presence a bit to upfront for my taste. I prefer more of a citrus sweetness to my IPA, which this has, but it does not jump out at you - this has a more malt based flavor, even a bready taste, but the hop bite is their sticking to the taste buds. The fruit flavor seems to come out later, as an aftertaste.

M - This is a creamy reach mouthfeel, not watery at all.

D - Good flavor - and good for two or three beers to sit back and relax.

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I don't like hops, but this was okay. Strong hop taste, obviously, but drinkable for me. Not overly bitter, and somewhat balanced. Some hints of malts. Nice looking beer with a nice one finger head. Leaves plenty of lacing. Decent mouthfeel; maybe a bit thin.

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a big, off-white, resiny head. Bright, floral, citrus hop aroma with maybe a touch of buttery esters underneath. Amber-gold color. Starts off very bitter with an underlying sweetness (that buttery caramel), builds into a pine-sap hoppiness with prominent notes of grapefruit. Finish is hop bitter and sticky pine sap flavor, and then the malt comes through in a biscuit like quality under this, and the resin begins to take on an almost soapy flavor as it fades from my palate.

Not bad, overall. I'm not a big fan of that buttery caramel aspect, which I presume is here to lend a more authentic English characteristic to it. The smell started off FANTASTIC, but as the head faded, and the buttery caramel became more pronounced, I began to really hate the smell.
Maybe I'm overly sensitive to diacetyl (that buttery caramel)....I do tend to have a visceral, negative reaction to it. If this were on tap, I'd blame a dirty line...
Looking at the lower reviews, that seems to be a re-occuring issue for a few of us. I tend to favor the aromatic IPA's over these aggressively bitter ones (they're a fun novelty, but they get tiring).
I found the "drink by date" and I still have a month before that date, so I know this isn't ancient and stale.

I am pairing it with Prairie Breeze cheese, and that's working quite well. Hoppy bier + Cheddar (or cheddar-like) cheese = Win!
(It's also making this one easier to finish for me)

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

The beer pours an interesting light mahogany - somewhere between deep orange and light brown. Moderate sized dirty white head that recedes quickly leaveing no lacing at all.

The nose is surprisingly subdued with a few floral and herbal hop notes and a nice bready grain scent.

Taste is equally subdued, well developed dry malt tastes similar to saltines and some interesting (light) amber-like fruit notes of peach and apricot. Hop presence is surisingly not present. Some bittering but not gobs and very little in the way of aromatics. Slight piney notes and quite a few light herbal flavors but that's about all. Primary flavors seem to be noble hops - the is quite reminiscent of a British ESB.

Mouthfeel is fine - it's a medium bodied brew with reasonable carbonation. Slight hop finish drys out the drink and leaves a clean palate, no oily residue on the tongue.

Overall I'd give this an "ehhh" It's an okay brew with some very nice malt flavors but for something called "HopDevil" it's surprisingly light on the hops. I would like to try this one again sometime to see if my tastebuds were off that day or if this HopDevil really is just a HopRascal

Thanks to mntlover for sending this bottle Westward in a very generous trade!

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours crystal clear amber-orange, thick head that quickly fades to thin lacing. Smells of sweet tangerines, malt and melons. Taste is fruity up front, nice bouquet, caramel malt is quiet in the back, balanced bitterness, medium light mouthfeel with high carbonation makes this an easy drinker!

3.47/5  rDev -14.7%

An aggressive pour into a pint glass, a three inch head emerges, almost overflows the glass. I've had this delectable brew before, but this is the first time i'm reviewing it. HopDevil is among my favorite brews, but this is an older bottle so its freshness might force me to go out and buy another six pack to review. Oh well, still a great IPA. Minutes after the intial pour, there's still a one inch frothy head and considerable lacing on the glass. Smell is just average with the older bottle, and taste, mouthful and drinkability are a bit above average. I guess I will have to review this again. Still, a very good offering from Victory.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

HopDevil pours a hazy copper, orange color with a medium off-white head. The head is somewhat rocky, but has decent retention. The head definitely sticks to the glass. It smells like, wellÂ…hops and little bits of devil (what did you expect?)! It also has a hint of grapefruit and pine.

A very bold taste. It tastes like bitter hops, citrus and pine. It has hints of malt in the background and a nice floral aftertaste. A light spiciness lingers on the tongue.

This is a must have for hop-heads. It is a good beer. I am not particularly fond of overly hopped beers, but this one is turning me to the dark side. The label is awesome by the way. I am happy to report that this beer is not actually made with bits of real devil (they use imitation devil and devil extracts).

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Have had this several times over the years but it had been a while and I happened to find it available on tap in the Philly airport last week. So, consider I was in PA, just arrived in the states, figured this would satisfy my IPA needs.

Poured a rusty copper color, thin white head.

Nose; floral hops, bready malts, that's about it.

Taste; way too much malt character. Overpowered what little hoping there was. Now, I know this was served in an airport (thankfully in a Sam Adams perfect pint by my request) but wow, this beer is not at all what I remember. Could have been a freshness issue but I don't really think so considering I was in it's home state and from what I would guess, international airports serving local beer should be running through the stuff fairly often so the keg couldn't have been that old.

Mouthfeel; clean but a bit slick.

Overall; it worked in a pinch but the last time I was in the Philly airport, I had a much more enjoyable layover beer in Yard's IPA...

3.47/5  rDev -14.7%

A- Fantastic color. Vibrant amber color with some nice small bubbles coming from the bottom of my Mellow Mushroom tumbler. Great two finger tan head that lasts a good while.

S- Hops with some other smells i cant figure out.

T- Good taste of bitter hops, with some kind of spice making this a complex IPA. Its strong and not for that faint of heart. (its called HOP DEVIL comonnn) hops hops hops, not my favorite hoppy IPA be defiantly pretty good. The malts in this beer balance it out making it not completely overpowering with the hops. Well done Victory..

M- Good mouth feel, the hops dont completely dry out my mouth, but i have a mild, fresh hop feel that lasts.

D- Its a strong IPA but pretty fairly decent on the drinkability.

3.46/5  rDev -15%

Good hop nose in the glass. Pours a nice Sierra nevade brown under an off-white head. In actual taste, though, hops are not as smacky as one would believe. instead, they start out understated, a nice peppery and grassy start. The toasty malts makes a nice sticky coating in the mouth, allowing the bitterness to linger and become more pronouced, until it finishes full strength.

3.46/5  rDev -15%

Poured from bottle into a standard pint glass. Great head and carbonation. Its color is quite amberish with a slight orange hue. Much darker than some IPAs. Smell is a bit of a let down, has the typical IPA citrus smell but its not very strong and am really not getting much from it. Taste - alright were getting there, lemon rind, sharp bitterness and spicy pepper finish. Finish is sweet and lingerers on the mouth for a long time. Not a bad IPA, pretty solid in drinkability and could see drinking a few. Really nothing spectacular though, there are certainly other IPAs that I would rather drink.

Victory HopDevil Ale
bottle to glass

it's a nice dark amber color with a thick two finger off white head that leaves a decent amount of lace and keeps a thick collar to the bottom of the glass. it smells of spices, hops, and strong malts. the grapefruit/citrus of the hops is flavorful but weak. there is an ample amount of caramel malt that possibly overpowers the weak hops. the moderately full mouthfeel and high carbonation make it easil drinkable. caramel malt sticks to the palate.

this was a decent beer. i could drink it again, but it's too malty and one dimensional for my tastes in an IPA

3.46/5  rDev -15%

12 oz brown bottle poured in a pint glass. Bottle is stamped "Best before Aug 28, 2011." Purchased from Knightly Liquors in Orlando.

Off-white head is 1/4 inch on the pour but quickly recedes to a thin ring around the edge with a few islands of head. Little strings of lace here and there. Clear, orangey-coppery-reddish colour.

Aroma is pretty subdued. What can be found is mostly hops with a touch of malt.

Strong hop bite throughout. Almost no presence of malt detectable. Strong pine with hints of grapefruit. Bitter hop aftertaste is long lasting.

Oily mouthfeel with little carbonation.

Overall it's ok but not great. Pretty average unless you just like straight hops flavour with no complexities or malt backbone.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company