Microbrew Invitational

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Reviews: 2,487 | Ratings: 7,140
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

HopDevil pours a hazy copper, orange color with a medium off-white head. The head is somewhat rocky, but has decent retention. The head definitely sticks to the glass. It smells like, well…hops and little bits of devil (what did you expect?)! It also has a hint of grapefruit and pine.

A very bold taste. It tastes like bitter hops, citrus and pine. It has hints of malt in the background and a nice floral aftertaste. A light spiciness lingers on the tongue.

This is a must have for hop-heads. It is a good beer. I am not particularly fond of overly hopped beers, but this one is turning me to the dark side. The label is awesome by the way. I am happy to report that this beer is not actually made with bits of real devil (they use imitation devil and devil extracts).

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Have had this several times over the years but it had been a while and I happened to find it available on tap in the Philly airport last week. So, consider I was in PA, just arrived in the states, figured this would satisfy my IPA needs.

Poured a rusty copper color, thin white head.

Nose; floral hops, bready malts, that's about it.

Taste; way too much malt character. Overpowered what little hoping there was. Now, I know this was served in an airport (thankfully in a Sam Adams perfect pint by my request) but wow, this beer is not at all what I remember. Could have been a freshness issue but I don't really think so considering I was in it's home state and from what I would guess, international airports serving local beer should be running through the stuff fairly often so the keg couldn't have been that old.

Mouthfeel; clean but a bit slick.

Overall; it worked in a pinch but the last time I was in the Philly airport, I had a much more enjoyable layover beer in Yard's IPA...

3.47/5  rDev -14.5%

A- Fantastic color. Vibrant amber color with some nice small bubbles coming from the bottom of my Mellow Mushroom tumbler. Great two finger tan head that lasts a good while.

S- Hops with some other smells i cant figure out.

T- Good taste of bitter hops, with some kind of spice making this a complex IPA. Its strong and not for that faint of heart. (its called HOP DEVIL comonnn) hops hops hops, not my favorite hoppy IPA be defiantly pretty good. The malts in this beer balance it out making it not completely overpowering with the hops. Well done Victory..

M- Good mouth feel, the hops dont completely dry out my mouth, but i have a mild, fresh hop feel that lasts.

D- Its a strong IPA but pretty fairly decent on the drinkability.

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

Good hop nose in the glass. Pours a nice Sierra nevade brown under an off-white head. In actual taste, though, hops are not as smacky as one would believe. instead, they start out understated, a nice peppery and grassy start. The toasty malts makes a nice sticky coating in the mouth, allowing the bitterness to linger and become more pronouced, until it finishes full strength.

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured from bottle into a standard pint glass. Great head and carbonation. Its color is quite amberish with a slight orange hue. Much darker than some IPAs. Smell is a bit of a let down, has the typical IPA citrus smell but its not very strong and am really not getting much from it. Taste - alright were getting there, lemon rind, sharp bitterness and spicy pepper finish. Finish is sweet and lingerers on the mouth for a long time. Not a bad IPA, pretty solid in drinkability and could see drinking a few. Really nothing spectacular though, there are certainly other IPAs that I would rather drink.

Victory HopDevil Ale
bottle to glass

it's a nice dark amber color with a thick two finger off white head that leaves a decent amount of lace and keeps a thick collar to the bottom of the glass. it smells of spices, hops, and strong malts. the grapefruit/citrus of the hops is flavorful but weak. there is an ample amount of caramel malt that possibly overpowers the weak hops. the moderately full mouthfeel and high carbonation make it easil drinkable. caramel malt sticks to the palate.

this was a decent beer. i could drink it again, but it's too malty and one dimensional for my tastes in an IPA

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

12 oz brown bottle poured in a pint glass. Bottle is stamped "Best before Aug 28, 2011." Purchased from Knightly Liquors in Orlando.

Off-white head is 1/4 inch on the pour but quickly recedes to a thin ring around the edge with a few islands of head. Little strings of lace here and there. Clear, orangey-coppery-reddish colour.

Aroma is pretty subdued. What can be found is mostly hops with a touch of malt.

Strong hop bite throughout. Almost no presence of malt detectable. Strong pine with hints of grapefruit. Bitter hop aftertaste is long lasting.

Oily mouthfeel with little carbonation.

Overall it's ok but not great. Pretty average unless you just like straight hops flavour with no complexities or malt backbone.

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

Nice amber orange color-no real head but theres some nice lacing on the glass. Subtle hop aroma-doesnt scream like a lot of the US- IPAs. Nice flavor-malty backround with a big,upfront hop presence. Very citrusy-grapefruit like,spruce? A touch of residual malt sweetness in the end. Nice solid body An enjoyable beer all around-another fine effort by Victory.

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured a clear and vivid orange with a decent head that fell down reluctantly. Chunky lacing. Bright hops nose with lots of slick pine and sweet citrus. No malt to speak of on the nose. On the palate it’s got medium body and good carbonation. It’s bedeviled with hops but lacking in balance without a bigger malt character to back it up. Goes down oily with a good bitter aftertaste. A very plucky ale. Easy to drink and a clean, long finish.

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

very deep, polished copper color..nice two finger head that holds true. Medium amount of lacing.
Nose is of caramel malts with bready undertones. Hops are present although not in your face. Sweet citrus is detected.
Taste is very bitter and well balanced with the malt. The bitterness lags on and on. A slight alchohol burn as I swirl the beer in my mouth.
Pretty good, but i didnt fing it outstanding.

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours a nice, amber color from the bottle into a chalice. Head is virtully non-existent, but leaves a little bit of nice lacing around parts of the glass.
Smell seems very light, mostly a nice hoppy smell, not much else I can detect right now.
Taste is a nice hop bite with a solid malty backbone to balance things out. Above average in this category.
Carbonation tingles the mouth with this one, feels very light and airy in the mouth, coats the tounge well, overall a very pleasant feel.
Drinkability is good on this one, an overall nice IPA that does not disappoint.

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

I received a fresh growler of this from the brewery as a gift. Served in my Victory HopDevil imperial nonic glass.

Pours darker than many IPAs with a nut brown with some ruby hues.

Aroma is mainly malts with some nut notes and some grassy and earthy hops.

This certainly not a hoppy IPA, but the taste is nice and it is extremely drinkable. There is some slight bitterness and hints of earthy hops, but the malt shine through. This is a balanced IPA, but I prefer my IPAs to be unbalanced with a massive amount of hops.

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

On-tap at Delaney's in a pint glass.

A: Dark amber (almost brown) body topped by a half-inch of thick, rich, off-white foam with admirable retention. Good lacing. One of the darkest IPAs I've ever seen. Nice.

S: Nothing but thick, resinous, piney hops. Appetizing enough, but one-dimensional.

T: Pure bitterness. The pineyness of the nose is subsumed in a straight-forward attack of bitter astringency. Some semi-sweet malts act like they want to peek out at the end, but the hops quash this futile desire without remorse. One of the hoppiest regular IPAs I've ever had (maybe THE hoppiest), but the lack of any kind of balance with malts OR complexity of hop profile leaves me underwhelmed, hop-head though I am.

M: Good carbonation, but a little sharp for the medium-light body.

D: The bitterness just doesn't leave any room for exploration and discover, and thus I'm left without a desire to keep drinking.

Notes: While I normally can't get enough of hops, this beer just bores me with its one-dimensionality. I thought exactly the same thing when I had a six-pack a couple months ago, but I thought I'd give it another shot and review it on tap. Unfortunately, I was similarly disappointed.

Cheers!

3.45/5  rDev -15%

12 oz. bottle pours a burnt orange color. Has a one finger head that fades quickly. Earthy, smokey smell. The taste is of caramel, smoke, at first then a rush of fresh floral hops in a medium body. Finishes with a slightly bitter grapefruit bite. Not bad, but not fresh tasting either.

3.45/5  rDev -15%

Had this once in college when I was still "in the dark." Did not like it then, so i decided to revisit now that I have a more "educated" palette. Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a glass mug.

A: Pours an amber body with an off-white head with decent retention. Eventually slows ot a small lacing along the top of the beer with some lacing along the sides of the glass.

S: A nice, hoppy smell. Not as strong as I expected, but still fairly evident.

T: A rather hoppy taste, but not as much as I expected. Some malts in the aftertaste as a balancer, but the hops were not as strong to really balance the beer.

M: Pretty full-bodied, but slightly on the light side. Carbonation was okay.

D: Fairly drinkable beer. Good mouthfeel with an ok taste. I expected a little bit more of a bittering hop taste from the beer.

3.45/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice deep transparent copper color. When I first stuck my nose in this beer I thought it smelled like stale, dirty dish water. Luckily, it tasted much better. Mix of pine and citrus hops up front that are balanced out quickly by sweet carmel malt. Does not finish too bitter. In all fairness, maybe I had too many hoppy beers before reviewing so I will revisit, but right now I would say good- not great.

3.45/5  rDev -15%

Appearance: Pours a golden amber with a light foamy head. With slight orange hues.

Aromas: The hop nose is big on this one. Light hints of caramel malts.

Taste: It starts off with a bit of crisp mouthfeel. The hoppiness of this one has a great bite to it along with a spice to it as well. There is slight sweetness to it. It's not has hoppy as I thought it might be but it's good.

Notes: This is my second offering from Victory and it's a tasty one. This certainly is a beer that can be enjoyed year round. Cheers

3.45/5  rDev -15%

Pours a cloudy amber with a rigorous, thick velvety head -- doesn't look much like your typical IPA, which should have tipped me off that something wasn't quite right. Nose is a dominating raw maltiness with the characteristic floral hops nearly absent. The taste does not add much complexity; very little hop bitterness follows. Where exactly is this hop devil hiding? Maybe I'm spoiled by the hop blasts I'm used to from the American IPAs, but this one just isn't done to style. Overall, a pleasant but one-dimensional beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours amber with almost a touch of orange in it & a nice head. The smell, through my bad nose, is pretty subtle. A little hops, not much else.

Taste is...fine. Maybe I'm being too hard on this beer, but after having several other really, really hoppy & good IPAs & double IPAs recently, this one's average. Perhaps it's the marketing. I can't think but something named "Hop Devil" should have a little more kick to it. It does go down a lot easier than the slam-bang-kick-you-in-the-hops beers, which often take me an hour or so to down.

A decent enough beer, but there are several hop-head beers out there I'd rather have in my glass.

3.45/5  rDev -15%

A- light golden brown, with no real head.

S- Lots of floral hops just a nice big kick of them but not so much to be off putting

T- Good floral kick nice lasting hope flavors but one dimensional.

M- Nice bubbles good thickness.

D- Some what drinkable almost too much hops but ok if your a hop head overall that that imaginative and just a one trick pony.

3.45/5  rDev -15%

from the bottle. poured a nice amber to copper with a light tan head. aroma, nice hops, grapefruit, honey, caramel, spicy. flavor a little on the light side compared to the aroma, dry , bitter , some hops would have liked the hops to be a little more robust, had a hard tine finding the malt and caramel. but over all a very drinkable beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

While I'm not a huge IPA fan, I really tried to judge this on the style, but just thought it was unbalanced and just an overload of hop bite

A: Transparent orange/amber with 3/4 inch of slightly off white head

S: hops, maybe a bit of citrus but just overpowered

T: just overpowering hops

M: Medium bodied, medium carbonation, nothing bad, nothing great

D: Hard to put a whole 12oz down. If you are a serious hop-head, go for it, I just just found the bitterness far too dominating to enjoy

D

3.44/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into snifter. Best by date 3/30/14

A Poured pretty aggressively into 16 oz snifter. This produced a fairly thick off white head that didn't last too long but produced a thick lacing that held. Color is transparent dark amber, very close to ruby.

S Musty, floral, and fruity. Hints of citrus and just a faint hint of hops.

T Taste certainly does not mirror the smell. Very hoppy. Right of front and thick and lingering at the back end. In between there is caramel/malt tinge of sweetness.

M Full for the style. Has backbone. Creamier than most IPAs. Finish is rough, but not bad, due to the bitterness.

O Pretty good if not a bit inconsistent. It is bitter and hoppy. I like that. However, there just seems to be something lacking. I am not talking balance. I don't need equal malt in an IPA. There just doesn't seem to be any complexity of mixture of flavors. I wish I could put my finger on it, but it's just lacking. Not bad at all, but just seems that it could be much better. Weird.

3.44/5  rDev -15.3%

12oz. bottle served into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass

Pours a rich honey color with good clarity. The cream-colored head is sizable at 1 1/2 fingers with rocky lacing.

The aromas are very, very muted for some reason. Some weak cracker malt smells and light grassiness are all that I get. This bottle expires on 10/13/09, so the hops shouldn't have faded out completely... no choice but to score it low.

Ah, that's better. The hops haven't faded, evidenced by the floral hit of flavor at the tip of the tongue. The gentle hop kiss informs the generous malt bill. This isn't a malt bomb, but the caramel and slight toasted malt flavors are highly assertive. The hops take over on the finish, delivering a blast of pine and grapefruit alpha acid yumminess on the back end of the drink. The lingering aftertaste is very gentle; just a trace of bitterness. Ultimately, this is a very balanced IPA.

Mouthfeel is a little too watery for my tastes; I noticed the "watery" quality from the very first drink. Drinkability, however, is excellent. The predominant feeling of balance -- good malt tastes not being overpowered by the nice hopping -- makes this a beer that you can drink as much of as you would like to. The relatively low ABV% of 6.7 helps in this regard, too.

I can't buy beers from Victory in MO (where I live). If I could, I don't think that I would buy HopDevil over other, more local, options for a balanced IPA. I think that I brought home the wrong six pack of Victory product with me from Illinois. That said, this is a solid beer with a lot of positive attributes going for it. If you want a balanced IPA over an intense hop bomb, then you could do a lot worse than HopDevil.

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

22 oz. pour at the Food Shack in Jupiter, FL.

Appearance - Two finger off-white head atop a deep amber body. Pretty clear with good lacing. Dark for an IPA, but otherwise nice looking.

Smell - Not a lot of aroma. Some piney hops and a bit of bready malt. Sometimes I have trouble getting good aromas when I get a beer on tap, but this is even lower in aroma than that.

Taste - Piney hops first with a toasty malt midrange. I wish it was hoppier, especially because there isn't a lot of citrus to it. The piney hops make it feel less... brisk? A long, almost smokey bitter finish that lingers.

Mouthfeel - Good carbonation and medium bodied. It's easy drinking and tasty.

Overall - Not bad, not great. Hardly this side of good, really. I'd drink it if nothing else were available.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown