Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,459 | Hads: 7,011
3.27/5  rDev -19.7%

Drank this beer with my good friend William Pang (Queens, NY).

Poured a murky dark copper color with a medium off-white head and good lacing.
Not much smell to report, but the little that is there is a fruity sweetness that says nothing of the hops in this beer.
The taste is very similar to the smell. Not as much hops initially as I expected. Much more sweet malt flavor than hops at first, but eventually moves aside to reveal the hoppy bitterness I was promised.
Thin mouthfeel, well carbonated, and definitely bitter on the tail end. Very dry finish.
Not a great IPA, mostly because of the lack of stinging hop character. However, definitely a good beer that I could handle a few of in each sitting.

3.26/5  rDev -19.9%

Was honestly surprised by this beer. I expected a good brew from Victory, but usually beers with "hop" in the name don't deliver for me. But with this beer I was wrong, it was definitely niice and hoppy. The smell was a lot earthier than I had expected, it had a lot of straw/hay scent, along with caramel and hops. Taste was nice and balanced. A good beer to find at the sandwich shop around the corner - salud!

A - typical for American IPA's deep red, shorter head on this one

S - Hops and some more hops....reminds me of that smell in the morning when camping in the fall, here, in the northeast

T - hoppy, hoppy and not so many other flavors

M - hits your whole tongue with hops and I think finishes more bitter than most AIPA's

D - nice and simple, great IPA

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

This beer smelled good with a nice strong and smooth hop aroma, but not quite as nice as a Magic Hat Blind Faith. When it hit my tongue there was a definite hop bitterness, but the malt did a good job of keeping it balanced. It felt rather nice in the mouth too. It started to go down fairly easily, but towards the end of the swallow the fairly harsh hop bitterness showed up, and it left a fairly harsh aftertaste. The harsh bitterness on the back of my tongue remained for the entire time I was drinking the beer, but it became a bit more subdued as my tastebuds acclimated to it.

I wouldn't drink more than one or two of these in a session, especially if a smoother IPA was available. Definitely a good beer, but not amazingly drinkable.

Notes from 10/17/10

A:Pours a copper/amber color with a small head that falls rather quickly, decent lacing
left down the glass

S:Smells of a spicy hop character with a little but of bready malts in there as well

T:Not sure what they have going on here but I get that spicey hop flavor again with
a little balance out from the malt in the middle but that spiciness lingers on the tongue.

M:Body is fairly thinner than medium with not much carbonation

D:This is a all right brew, the spiciness kinda of threw me off of it thou. I not really a big spicy fan so this one did not sit to well for me, but if you like that kind of action I would say you should seek this one out

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

Bottle. Pours about an inch worth of creamy white head that sticks around. Transparent orange color. Smell is soapy, piney, and a little citrus hop aroma. Slightly sour taste with some pine and hop flavor. Not a bad tasting beer. Very drinkable and pretty good.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I was disappointed with this beer but it may not have been very fresh. It's not very fragrant - smell is grainy and slightly sweet. Taste is solid but not overly impressive. Definitely malt forward. Really nice dark amber color. yb

3.24/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours a nice stable one and a half finger, white head which slowly fades to a solid cap that sticks to the edge if the glass to the end. It has a nice clear dark orange/red color. Smells very faintly of citrus hops and mildly sweet. Tastes of sweet with a citrus twinge, that finishes medium dry. Then some sort of funny after taste comes on, can't figure this one out. Not very drinkable for me. I didn't finish it. But I did like the " drink by ######" on the bottle.

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Medium Amber Orange with moderate opacity

Two finger head reducing to one in a minute.

Bright grassy and hoppy aroma

Strongly hopped, tart almost an asafetida fore taste; anise, white pepper, grapefruit middle; lightly bitter aftertaste with salt and garlic at the roof of the mouth

Juicy and spicy with a slight effervescence

A good strong hopped ale suitable for pork, spicy foods like jerk or Thai, or BBQ sauced burger.

3.24/5  rDev -20.4%

Nice deep amber color, good clarity, decent head. Very spicy,pungent hop aroma emanates from my warming pint glass of Hop Devil. Obviously this is a highly hopped IPA. Malt flavors are light and the beer is quite dry. Hops dominate, very spicy and herbal. Mild pine flavors as well. Best part of this beer is the deep and complex hop aroma. However, this is nothing to write home about. Overall an average IPA that happens to be highly hopped. Victory is a great brewery and I think their pils is the best in the world. There is no way this beer should be rated higher than the pils. Anyone can make a decent and hoppy IPA. Definately worth a try for the complex hop aroma and flavor, but also try the pils.

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

The drink had a red-dark amber appearance with a thin head. Although the appearance made it tantalizing, the rest of the drink was a bit average. Its faint hop smell had some sweets to it, but lacked any spectacular features. The taste was somewhat thin but the aftertaste had a good bitter-sweet balancing going for it. This IPA also had a low-medium body to it, making it not as carbonated as I hoped. Overall it was decent and not overpowering, but that also hindered it from being great.

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

Hopdevil pours a transparent orange-copper. There is a thin white foamy head.

The scent is fresh grass and grainy. There is also a distinct citrus note.

As far as taste goes this brew lives up to its name. There is plenty of bitterness to go around. There isn't a whole lot as far as malt goes with this one, you know you're drinking an IPA. This beer is medium bodied. The alcohol warms the mouth and leaves a tingling for quite some time. It goes down about as easily as any other beer of comparable style and abv.

I don't know why but I was not impressed by this beer. Being an IPA lover I was encouraged by other reviews and very excited to try this. I don't know if I got a bad batch (I know it was fresh, there is a date and it was in the cooler) or if this one just doesn't suit my fancy. I do plan on giving this beer another shot in the future.

3.22/5  rDev -20.9%

Pours a copper color with a one and a half finger head. The smell is of hops, piney and earthy hops. The scent of hops is almost overwhelming. The taste is a very strong hops the hop taste is more earthy piney hops as opposed to citrus hops. The mouthfeel is dry with little carbonation. Drinkability wise if you really like IPA's you would like this beer. If you are new to IPA's then this ipa isn't for you.

3.2/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours a medium amber with one finger off white head and nice lacing. Aroma is crazy hops. Taste is piny earthy oily hops. I do not detect much if any citrus at all. Aggressively bitter with no balance. Mouthfeel is on the painful side of bitter. Not very drinkable at all. This one was very disappointing after the high ratings. No subtlety at all and not nearly as drinkable as many other IPAs. If you want crazy hops and bitters with little balance, this one's for you.

3.19/5  rDev -21.6%

12 oz. bottle served in a pilsner glass. Best by March 13, 2012.

A: Pours a solid amber color one fluffy off white head forming on the pour. The head sticks around for quite some time and leaves nice sticky webbings of lace.

S: The smell is very caramel malt based with some pine and light citrus fruits popping up in there.

T: The taste is dominated by a sweet bready and toffee malt with some minimal piney notes as well light citrus mingling in there. There is a touch of some floral nights that do brighten it up a bit, but still not enough.

M: The mouthfeel is solid, a tad on the lighter side. The body has tons of lively carbonation to it. The taste has some decent linger to it, but it's nothing special.

O: Typical malt forward East Coast IPA. A solid beer, but pretty average for the style. Nothing really makes it stand apart from the solid malt base and light hop variations.

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

A two-finger tan head tops off a honey brown brew. Head fades slowly leaving some crooked lacing all around the glass. Citrusy hops rise to the nose, but not as striking as I would have imagined with a name like "Hopdevil". Behind the hop start is some tea, orange peel, sour grapes and sweet bread. The hoppiness is kept in check by a certain malty sweetness that makes it go down somewhat smoother than expected. Carbonation is adequate in this medium-bodied brew.

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

After reading other reviews, it strikes me that many people were highly impressed by this beer, and I thought it was rather lackluster. Perhaps my bottle was bad? But it was definitely within the best by date and did not at all taste/feel like there was anything wrong... it just tasted plain.

Dark copper brown with thick creamy tan head and nice lacing.

Smell of sweet hoppiness, not very powerful.

Almost no malt profile cam through, and the hop was very light and just slightly bitter.

Light body with light carbonation.

This beer was delicate I would say. Not what I am used to in any IPA. Not overly impressed, I won't go out of my way to pick this up again.

is there something wrong with my tongue?

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

A: Light Amber color with a white head that left alright lacing. Carbonation was slight but one could still see the bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass.

S: A Floral hops aroma was apparent in this beer. However, I was able to smell some fruity maltiness to it which was akin to the smell of green apples.

T: Very similar to the aroma. It had a nice floral hops flavor that opened to an almost citrus taste. However, behind it was a nice malt backbone that tasted like apples.

M: Light to medium body. Nice and refreshing for a hot summer day like we where having in Cincinnati last week.

D: While not my favorite IPA I've had it's not bad by any bet. It was nice to have but I don't think I would buy this one over and over again.

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Appearance: Goldish brown body. Thick creamy head that slowly fades. Good lacing overall.

Aroma: Lots of citrus and grapefruit aroma, a little pine and hops.

Taste: Starts sweet , followed by a biting hoppy bitterness. Not was I was hoping for, but pretty decent.

Mouthfeel: Not as smooth as I hoped for this brewer Good carbonation. Somewhat bitter with citrus overtones.

Overall, a decent IPA for the price ($8.49 a sixer). I prefer more balanced IPAs with decent hoppiness, but still pretty good overall.

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

A nice looking beer. Robust amber color with thin white head.

Aroma and flavor just hops and not much else. I'll admit IPA's aren't really my thing so it's hard to accurately rate this beer. I guess it's well crafted for what it is.

Mouthfeel is smooth to start, with a biting hop finish.

Overall impression.... eh.

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Pours a clear amber with little head. Aroma of bright hops and a little soap.

Taste is a mild hoppy bitterness with more soapy flavors. Light amber malt, more gentle bitterness arises as you work your way through the glass. A nice spicy blend, some cinnamon and Red Hots elements hidden among the hops.

Mouthfeel is light and clean, finishes well without turning too bitter. Lies somewhere between a pale ale and a DFH 60 Minute. Bottle is a lot cleaner than the tap serving. Nice for a change but I'd be pressed to have too many.

3.17/5  rDev -22.1%

On-tap at Ed's (No Name) Bar

A: Pours a copper body with a one-finger slightly off-white head. The head has decent retention but only lacing from the head initial dissipation.

S: Smells very strong of hops with grapefruit peel and some caramel malt character.

T: Wow, very heavy on the hops. There's a strong hop character that gives way to a small amount of malty caramel which turns again into a sharp grapefruit peel finish with a bitter sting. It's not that I dislike a hoppy IPA, I actually usually love some of the unbalanced ones. For the Hopdevil it was just the flavor of the hops that I dislikeed.

Overall: Good mouthfeel, well carbonated with a bit of oiliness. Drinkability is a bit down for me due to the overwhelming unpleasant hop flavor which I personally found to be unappealing.

12oz bottle with freshness date

App: Dark amber, chesnut brown. 2 finger off-white head

Smell: Mostly north american hops. Half floral half dense fruit. Perhaps a bit of citrus.

Taste: Starts with a bitterness. Perhaps a light toasty malt flavor peeks out once in a while, but this beer is dominated by hoppy bitterness. Ends with a pleasant lingering bitterness. Overall, a pleasing bitterness, but not a memorable flavor.

Full feeling medium body.

3.16/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Aroma--earthy aroma, almost a moxie to it but not revolting. Appearance---pale, golden clear river of loveliness Taste---harden-up, turn your head and swallow. heavy bitterness. Palate---medium body, thick texture, fizzy with a somewhat bitter start and finish though i want more... Overall...i have taste tested worse...i have tested better...middle of the road and a good standby

3.16/5  rDev -22.4%

Hop Devil pours a wonderful red-tinged-orange, with a sticky white head with decent lacing.

The nose is much heavier on the malt than I initially expected with roasty and carmel notes dominate and then relinquish a small amount of citrusy hops.

On the first taste I experience kind of what the nose was whispering to my ears, sweet grain bill and a uniform bitter from the hops but nowhere near the character I expect from that style.

The carbonation is decent and ties things together but overall not an epiphany kind of beer.

I should have had a more level head going into this review, but from the small amount of hype surrounding this beer I had my hopes set on hops. I recommend picking up a loose 12oz bottle from you local grocer as an entire sixer of this stuff will put a dent in your wallet.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company