Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
3.57/5  rDev -12.3%

I poured this 12 oz bottle into my Hobgoblin glass. Right off the bat I was surprised by both the aroma and color of this brew, definitely intriguing.

A - Nice clean light brown with hints of amber. Under certain lights it almost looks red. Medium sized head that eventually left, but the lacing was great.

S - HopDevil indeed, well it cleared my sinus anyways! The floral scent was there, but couldn't shine through until the very end. It almost smells like there is a blend of cherry in there as well.

T - Hard to explain. Seems like a blend between a nut brown ale and an IPA. Many may not agree with me here, but it has a roasted soothing aftertaste that I've only experienced with nut browns before. It threw me off because initially it's a hop blast and singe to the taste buds, yet afterwards I wasn't sure what I had drank. Hopefully this isn't my palate playing tricks on me. It's good at any rate.

M - The finish is a bit cleaner than I had expected, and it is fairly light bodied, nothing definitive here.

D - I would never turn one down, I'll say that much. Interesting profile, and quite drinkable, if for nothing else the curiosity of it's presentation. What you see is nothing like what you get, and that's not a bad thing.

3.57/5  rDev -12.3%

Dark Copper in color. Good smells of hops that prepare the palate for on coming and disticnt flavor of hops. Thick hops taste. Dry in taste. An aftertaste of hops that stayed with me. Not as drinkable as most but over all a decent beer that reflects the style.

3.57/5  rDev -12.3%

Amber/Brownish tan Color light floral aroma. Little if any head no real lacing of the glass. Dissapointed with these characteristics but it does have a nice sharp initial taste followed by a nice smooth hoppy finish. It is very drinkable and enjoyable. It was a rather lighter filtered IPA. It does pack a punch at 6.7%abv. I had tried this beer a few years back and it tasted less hoppy than I remember it. I am not that impressed with this beer. I wll ha ve to make it a point to try some of the other Victory brewery beers. I have heard good things about them. Overall it is a decent IPA enjoyable and drinkable but not my favorite.

3.57/5  rDev -12.3%

Single 12oz bottle purchased from Charles Street Liquors in Boston. Bottle two weeks past "Enjoy By" date on label. Pours a beautiful dark amber, with slight head that laced well. Light carbonation. Medium aroma of hops. Full, somewhat warming, bitter hoppy taste - but not overly complex, and not as fruity as I prefer in this type of beer. This beer was enjoyed after a 20 minute walk home from the store on a warm night, so perhaps it should have been consumed a few degrees cooler - although I'm generally a fan of cellar-temperature beers. Nice beer, but not one that I will necessarily seek out again any time soon. Would be interested in trying it on tap.

3.57/5  rDev -12.3%

Picked up at Kroger's on South Voss in Houston, TX.

A: Poured this into a pint glass. Copper color with a small head which quickly dissipates, leaving ample lacing.

S: Hops, hops, and more hops, blended with malts, citrus, and spice. A hint of pine.

T: Hops and Malt, bitter aftertaste. Though it lacks the balance and fruit nuances that usually shows in most IPAs I've had.

M: Velvety and smooth, and dry. Little carbonation.

D: Bitter, but very drinkable.

3.56/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a pretty orange/amber color with a 1 inch head. Smell is very hoppy, a touch of citrus. Taste is also quite the hop bomb. A touch of citrus, no malts to speak of, very bitter. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

3.56/5  rDev -12.5%

A- slightly transparent amber color with a slight off white two finger head. light to medium lacing.

S- alil fruity (not hoppy grapefruit) for an ipa.

T- nothing to crazy. as an ipa i would expect more of a hop attack and for this one it's kinda light. still good tho.

M- light bodied. nice carbonation.

D- very good. prolly drink a whole 6 no problem.

Overall- start off negative.... for the name hop devil i was expecting more of a hop attack. other then that it's pretty good. i would say this is a good ipa to those who aren't crazy about a heavy hop load like bell's two hearted and what not. i give it a thumbs up no prob.

3.55/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured into a standard American pint glass. Medium sized head to it. A deep amber color. A bitter piney scent under woody cherry tones. Tastes oak, a sharp bitter taste, hoppy taste, but not as hoppy in scent.

Has the standard IPA feel to it, typical of (if one so calls it) an America IPA. Bitter with lots of hop appeal. Yet the hoppiness only comes through on the drink, the scent (which I feel is most important in an IPA) is not as prevalent on other beers such as Brooklyn or Blue Points Hopnotical (which is great BTW).

Too bitter on the mouth, which decreases the enjoyment of the actual drink. Has a crunchieness to it, with what seems like a very cherry flavored and lemon twist?

Overall a very confusing beer, yet has its upside as good hoppy tasteing beer, but not something I would want to go out of my way to drink often.

Victory's Prima Pils is another story!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz received from seanpachefddfa and the East Coast Beer Tour LIF.... poured into my shaped SA glass. thanks Sean.

2 finger head disappears quickly.... no lacing.. descent cap.. brew is a hop hazed sunset orange.

aroma is fairly muted.. some citrus and spicy hops are noted.. but there is quite a bit of malt going on here.

fairly bitter out of the gate melts into the thick pale and light caramel malts... hop flavors are a pithy grapefruit.. resinous yet earthy hoppiness.. body is pretty standard for an AIPA.. so is the carbonation... finish is long and fairly harsh bitterness.

Not bad.. just not great.. seems sorta one dimensional.

Thanks again Sean!

3.5/3.5/3.5/4/3.5

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. It's been a long time coming since I've last had this beer, over a year now at least. I'm interested to see what I think of it now after all that time, since I remember enjoying it. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a coppery burnt sienna orange colored body with about a finger of doughy khaki colored head. Some thin wispy cavernous lacing.

S - Smell is of amber malts, breadiness, some cream, metallic / copper presence, and a dirty herbal earthy hoppiness. Definitely not the fruity hop bomb that I usually expect from an IPA nowadays. Has that nasty dirty sock sort of smell that I sometimes find.

T - Taste follows the nose: sweet grainy maltiness, white bread, a metallic coppery mineral crispness, and a dirty earthy twiggy hop presence. More malt forward than hop bitterness, I'd say. Some spicy hop bitterness is present and some sugary green apple skin sweetness in the finish.

M - Feel is crisp, carbonated, dry, and bitter with sticky overripe green apple skin.

Overall, not my ideal American IPA. Way more malt forward than I like my IPA's, and definitely not as bitter as I thought it once was. Perhaps it would be a good starter IPA for people new to the style. A good beer, but not one I would actively seek out.

Victory Hop Devil ---3.5/5

A - Pours a copper colour with an off White head that retains well

S - Quite piney on the nose with some grapefruit and a little malt.

T - HAs a nice piney flavour up front. Followed by some grapefruit and then some bready and caramel malts.

M - Body is medium and a medium carbonation.

O - Would have liked to have seen less malt in this beer with a little more hop punch. Nonetheless a flavoursome drop.

3.55/5  rDev -12.8%

Not a big fan of IPA's but this was good.

Pours a golden hazy orange color with a nice white head that stuck around until the end. Smelled of citrusy hops. Tasted about the same as the scent, a very smooth and crisp hop taste with some good background citrus flavors. Small hop bite on the tongue as it finishes, with a decent aftertaste.. not the best. Drinkability is good and mouthfeel is good, a small zing on my tongue but nothing unexpected. Overall I like this IPA compared to most others.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A slightly hazy, medium dark, yellowish-red IPA with a medium, light tan head. The smell is hoppy and piney. The taste is malty with a cedary bitterness. The body in my mouth is firm, yet softly rounded. Overall, definitely and IPA, but a bit on the hoppy side for my evolving taste.

Bright and colorful eye-catching label with a picture of some hops with devil's horns. I've heard alot of good things about this beer but it wasn't as "over the top hops" as I expected.

(source: PremierGourmet; Buffalo, NY)

3.55/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

hoppy, bitter...solid IPA but lacks the citrus/ grapefruit aroma and taste that Iike

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to mikereaser for sending this my way as an extra!

A - pours a brownish amber with a nice one finger head that leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

S - smells of caramel malts and some piney hops

T - the taste follows the nose perfectly. Starts with a very solid bready and caramel malt profile that fades to some piney hops with a touch of citrus. This is definitely a maltier IPA, as they seem to be more dominant in the flavor profile than a typical IPA.

M - A slick, buttery mouthfeel with a medium body that goes down well

D - pretty solid east coast IPA with a nice malt profile. Not uberly complex, but pretty tasty nonetheless. If hops intimidate you, I would highly recommend this as an entry into the IPA realm.

12oz to my stone specialty ipa glass. Enjoy by 5/12/13 date

Pours a mildly carbonated golden orange with a finger of foam. Good visibility with mediocre retention and lacing. Aroma of spicy malts with a strong malt base. Orange and other citrus rind meld with some floral notes and alcohol, pretty balanced here. Taste follows the nose well, upfront spicy hop with a sturdy malted backbone. Not much of the floral or citrus notes translate well to the palate, leaving much of the flavor cut and dry hop and malt. The two balance each other well, but leave the overall flavor pretty bland- not much complexity. Feel is solid, dry and sticky, easy to drink with well concealed alcohol. Overall this beer is good in a balanced sense, however living on the west coast I'm used to my ipas ridiculously over hopped and citrusy, not something I get with this beer. As a result I disagree with it's average rating pretty dramatically. This beer just isn't for me

3.54/5  rDev -13%

Poured this into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Color was a medium-to-dark copper.
Head was two-finger in size and fluffy before fading to a film after a couple sips.

Aroma is definitely dominated by hops. While the hops aroma is strong, it doesn't entirely overpower. I smell some sweet malts trying to come through but they're primarily overwhelmed by the hops.

The taste is a reflection of the aroma - the hops are huge, but they taste organic and real. Semi-sweet malts help to balance off the hops on the tongue (a little bit), especially at the end so the aftertaste isn't nearly as bitter as I expected it to be.

Mouthfeel is lively and crisp but smoothes out. Your tongue feels the bitterness at first, but it doesn't last long, which makes this a pretty drinkable hop-focused beer.

I think the malts in this one make the heavy hops tolerable, therefore an enjoyable brew.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Overrated. Pours clear brown with a minimal off-white head. Aroma is hoppy, but more malty than anything else. Kind of a prelude to the taste. The hops and malts were unbalanced, and both tended to take away from each other. This is an IPA for people who don't like strong, hoppy IPAs.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap while waiting for my plane at the Philly airport. Served in an imperial pilsner glass, a dark amber orange color with a foamy white one finger head that fades to a collar with good lacing. Smell is not as hoppy as I would have imagined. Some pine, lots of malt body but not too sweet. Taste is earthy and spicy hops, some pine, malt flavor is subdued, finish is very bitter. Maybe this is an old keg but I would like to see a little more hop flavor. Medium bodied with a bit too high medium carbonation, finish is pretty clean. An ok beer, but not my favorite IPA by any means.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a nice shade of dark hazy orange with a small white head.

Smell is all toasty malts and buscuit smells. Smells decent, but where are the hops.

Taste is very malty with a nice toasty buscuity flavor, a decent bit of piney hops give it a grassy bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is crisp with a nice dryness to it.

Overall decent and drinkable, but lacking that citrusy hop flavor that I have come to love.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: A nice orange-brown color, like apple cider. Good bit of off white head on top.

S: Hops.. A little bitof malt, and something a little sweet...

T: A little sweet to start, then the hops kick in.. thick and heavy... leaves a big aftertaste..

M: Maybe just a bit too carbonated for me..

D: Not one I am going to buy again. I have never been a fan of IPA's but I am always up for trying something new, and lately the 60 min and 90 min IPA's have been turning my head, so I figured I'd go for this one.. Just doesn't have the balance that I want..

3.53/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance - Copper color good head, some lacing.

Smell - Citrus and fruity smell

Taste - Has a little ting like grapefruit. Hops taste.

Mouthfeel -Malt and hops, low carbonation

Drinkability - Nice ipa, doesn't have the grapefruit taste to it. Nice beer to try. Victory does have some good beers.

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip
Best by 10/31/12 stamped on the label

A: Dark copper color, clear body, with a nice off-white head sitting on top. Moderate amount of carbonation visible. Decent lacing down the glass. Head retention is pretty slim.

S: Piney with some small citrus notes. Some dark fruit quality too. Odd.

T: Not the hop punch I was expecting from this beer. I get some pine, toasty malts, and that dark fruit I detected in the nose. That seems out of place for an IPA. Maybe this is the tobacco flavor people mention in some beers. I guess I've never eaten tobacco, so I wouldn't know exactly. Not a quality I find especially pleasing, most especially in an IPA. Pretty light bitterness. Somewhat earthy in the aftertaste.

M: Smooth and very tingly with the carbonation. Oily slickness.

O: I thought for sure this would satisfy my hop craving, but it just didn't do the job. A little underwhelmed with my first offering from Victory. The odd dark fruit flavor really threw me off here. Maybe I'll try it again down the road with a bottle that's a little more fresh.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep burnt orange color with a white head that dissipates rather quickly. A musty, earthy hop nose. A few sips and it hits me that I'm getting a strong dosage of aged cheese, maybe gouda, and maybe a little spoiled milk. A hint of smoke, though I may be confusing the aged cheese scent for smoke. Interestng, though not typical for an IPA. Not sure what to make of this so far. Taste is a little underwhelming up front. Hops are present in the palate, but don't match the smell in strength. Finsih finally brings the hops out the citrusy hop flavors, with a nice lingering bitterness. I am really a big hop head, so I tend to be rough of run-of-the-mill IPAs, that have just basic hoppiness. I'd put this beer in that category. Mouthfeel is light, with a little oily, creamy, texture. Decent IPA, but not the one for me. Not to worry, there are plenty of IPAs in the sea.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed out of a 12 oz brown bottle with an "enjoy by" date of Nov 28, 2013 etched into bottle near the neck. Poured into the IPA-specific glass from Speigelau. Consumed on 11/20, so this review is written from my tasting notes and photos.

Appearance - Standard pour yields a rocky beige two-finger head with significant pocking as the bubbles slowly start to burst. Retention is excellent, and when the foam does start to recede, it leaves ample sheets of lacing with sparse gaps. The body is a deep ruby amber color, with notes of maroon and burgundy, and an orange skin colored highlight where the light passes through.

Smell - Malted grain, molasses, caramel malt and a healthy dose of hop characteristics from both the earthy and citrus sides of the aroma family. However, I can't help wonder if the aroma would be a little more pungent (in a good way) if I wasn't consuming this bottle a mere week from the "best by" date. As it is, the grain bill is the headliner to me.

Taste - Here, the malt is more present, with notes of burnt caramel, brown sugar, fresh pumpernickel, and yet somehow so are the hops. The taste is more aggressive on both fronts than the smell was. Grapefruit and citrus zest, although they are subdued, likely from the time passed between bottling and opening. Either way, this is a very balanced IPA, rather than a hop bomb. Not to my preference, but well within the style.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with some light chewiness and carbonation level that is fairly low, but still detectible and enough to provide a consistent head throughout the enjoyment of the beverage. Semisweet finish.

Overall, a solid brew, but not one I'm likely to go out of my way to grab again. That being said, I tend towards the more West Coast style IPAs, so this one just isn't to my personal preference. However, I would encourage anyone who is a fan of big, meaty IPAs to pick up a bottle.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company