Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 6,684 | Reviews: 2,451
3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

I've had most of Victory's offerings but for some reason always skipped this. Finally bought a sixer and had a couple the other night.

Poured into a pint glass, this copper hued beer has a large light tan creamy head with pretty good retention. It leaves nice rings of lacing around the glass.

The nose at first is dominated by hops, but as it warms the malts come out in force and eventually take over completely. This is a malty IPA in my opinion.

Taste is definitely dominated by a heavy caramel malt backbone with spicey and citrus hops sprinkled in for texture. Pretty good tasting, but sub par compared to some of the great IPA's out there.

Mouthfeel is medium, smooth with a lingering bitter aftertaste. Drinkability is ok, the ABV is a little high for a session beer but I could easily have mutliple of these in a night.

Not a bad IPA, just not a great one. I'm not really disappointed, just sort of nuetral. Victory is still a solid brewery in my book.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

This is a very interesting beer to me. It is certainly not one of my favorites, but still a very quality beer from an objective point of view. I bought it hoping to find something like an IPA but alas it was much maltier than I had expected. Still good though, definitely has a broad array of flavors.

Appearance. Clear and very orange, head is extremely light and goes away within one minute. Leaves no lacing worth mention.

Smell. Certainly malty, but not a "hoppy" as I expected from a beer called "HopDevil." It smells fairly sweet as well, and I would say it is also pretty roasty.

Taste. It actually tastes almost exactly as it smells. Roasty, malty, and unfortunately for me, lacking in Hops. It is slightly bitter, but that is not the main flavor that comes through. The first thing I taste is the maltyness which is then overtaken by a citrusy sweetness (alcohol content possibly) and finally a little hops at the end. Not bad, not great though.

Mouthfeel. Mouthfeel is close to perfect, not super carbonated but very fitting for the style.

Drinkability. The drinkability has taken a hit because of how malty and roasty it is. I really can't see myself drinking more than one per sitting.

Although this is a good beer, I am, shall I say, disappointed. This is like getting the wrong salad dressing. Say for example I like Italian and Tomato Vinaigrette. I ask for Italian and expect Italian but instead I get the Tomato Vinaigrette. It's a flavor I don't expect which makes it strange and a little disappointing. I expected this to be super hopsy but it wasn't. I like the beer but it is not what I had expected.

Note After Review - I just looked at the date, it is past its "drink by" date. I do not know if this contributed to my dissatisfaction, but I will keep an eye out and edit this review if my opinion changes.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

Not a bad beer by any means. I've had it from the bottle and enjoyed it so I figured why not try it in a potentially better form. It looks good, much more red in color than the IPA I tried before. Almost looks like a completely different style of beer when you have the two side by side. Good looking creamy head that hangs around for a while. The smell is more malty than hoppy to be honest. I'm wondering where the hops went. Taste is also lacking that crisp hop kick that I've accustomed myself to. They are there but well covered by a malty sweetness. It kinds of seems slightly watered down a little. Not sure what the deal is here. The mouthfeel is nice and creamy and I can get a better sense of the hops. Solid. Pretty drinkable beer in the end. It doesn't stand up to what I drank before it but I can't complain. Well, one complaint. It was a dollar more...which I couldn't come to understand at $4.50. I would have enjoyed the initial hoppy flavored that I got from the bottle but I could have easily enjoyed a few more.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

12oz bottle a bit past its' prime (Oct16)...

A - Dark copper with some rose hints. The patchy off white head shows off the lively carbonation.

S - Sweet and spicy with a little alcohol. Earthy/grassy.

T - Definitely a hop delivery vehicle. Complex malt base holds loads of bitterness and citrus bite. The wet grassy taste is what I love about IPA's. Warm.

M - Bigger bodied for an IPA and nice carbonation.

D - Low/medium to to the hops ripping your face off. :)

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

Presentation: 12oz brown pop top bottle with nice ditty about the beer and a clearly marked freshness date

Appearance: Bright amber beer with lazy carbonation and medium dark ivory cap which soon fades to a thick film

Smell: Nice herbally/grapefruit hop notes, backed with medium caramel malty aromas

Taste: BIG hop presence...there's a fairly high level of bitterness, lots of fresh pine taste, and a touch of prickly alcohol...this is fairly simple but nice...it's definitely got a kind of "kick you in the face" vibe...

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied

Drinkability: Medium

Conclusion: Nice, kick you in the face IPA...perfect for when I'm looking for that style of beer, but a bit over-the-top for an every day IPA for me personally

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

A - Deep amber orange, pretty standard IPA color with a little depth. Great one finger foam head that retains well. Delicious looking beer

S - Clean, crisp citrus with heavy pine notes on an extreme hop nose. Very little malt character here except as faint background. Standard IPA smell, not very strong, but still enjoyable.

T - Nice hop front, very piney in taste with floral undertone. Mild citrus notes become apparent when it begins to warm. Not the greatest taste in the world, but still very enjoyable and very drinkable. Mild bitter aftertaste.

M - Active carbonation that fizzes and adds a pleasant touch to the mouthfeel. Not too thick but not weak. Very crisp, very refreshing. An extremely clean feel for a beer.

O - Well built IPA, great hop character, very refreshing and enjoyable.

In a US pint glass.

Coppery clear amber, pale copper head.

Smells fruity, floral. Sweet malt, slight caramel, bread. Malt gets bigger as it warms.

Pretty tasty malt, nice floral/piney hops. Pretty bitter. Hops also a bit spicy. Maltier as it warms.

Medium body, good carbonation.

Drinkability is pretty good. I remember liking this more, and I know this bottle got hot for a couple hours in my car, and that could have messed it up. So I'll rereview it if I like it better next time.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance:
The beer is murky and brownish in color. There's a decent off white head to the beer with some decent retention.

Smell:
More of a malty smell here with little touches of sweetness and notes of prunes and currants. Not too terribly potent but apparent none the less.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
This beer oddly reminds me or raisin bran which is a cereal I enjoy quite a bit. Up front there's some semi sweet, but rich malts lending a smooth mouthfeel to the beer with just a sting of hop bitterness. These flavors soon transfer to more of a sun dried raisin flavor. The finish is pretty clean and there are some minor apricot notes in to the aftertaste.

Drinkability:
It's about as drinkable as any other IPA really. There's really nothing especially good or bad about this brew.

Bottom Line:
This beer seems to get quite a bit of hype in my opinion but I think it's just kind of your average good IPA. A good selection none the less.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance is a nice burnt orange with a decent light tan head. A little cloudy.

Smell is malty sweet. A little citrus and hops. Kinda weak.

Taste is similar to smell. A bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is good. Viscosity is appropriate. Carbonation is aggressive but bubbles are small.

This is a pretty easy drinker except for the bitter finish.

I must say that this is not the kind of IPA I am used to. A bit maltier. Not as citrusy/piney as I would like. The hops don't seem to show up except for bitterness. At the same time, this is a pretty easy drinker. Solid, easy, but not great.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

Clear amber with copious carbonation, and a small white head, quickly fading to a thin film. Aroma is more malt than hops. Bitter with nondescript hopping. Medium mouthfeel. Except for the bitterness, it doesn't strike me as an IPA. More like a hoppy American Amber.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A darker IPA with a very thin head that turned to nothing but a few suds. Great pine and floral smell. Has some sweet roasted malt taste, even some burnt sugar, followed but spicy, floral, but not some much bitter hop notes. Easy to drink, doesn't over whelm the pallet. I actually find it quite mellow, like an extra floral pale ale.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep hazy red-amber with a nice big frothy off-white head. Lot's of skinny lace.

Big fresh hoppy, juicy aroma.

Bitter sharp and dry hop taste. Sharp carbonation to match. As it warms up, hop spiciness translates into an alcohol bite.

Comparison time: This beer is less light, floral and fruity than Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA and less "hearty" than Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. This seems to be a spicier take on this style. My pick of these three would be DFH 60 Minute. I like my beers a bit more subtle than this one.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

A- Pours a very nice amber/copper color with a large yellow/white fluffy head that leaves trace amounts of lacing on the glass...

S- Doesn't quite smell like an IPA like I would have expected. The sweet malt caramel is very prominent in the nose with some biscuit and raisin coming through...

T/M- Definitely more hops in the taste than the smell alludes. I do get a strong hop bitterness with less of a hop taste than I would have liked, but its still a great beer. I get a very earthy/wood taste with some pine laced without. Strong raisin/fig deep within a balanced malt backbone. Balanced body and carbonation of medium level really smooth this one out...

D- Yes and no. I like this beer, but I like IPAs... As far as comparison, the only IPA I can think of that this is more drinkable is the GI IPA. There is something about the earthiness in some of these IPAs that turn me off of drinkability...

Overall, very solid IPA that has some tendencies that I can appreciate, but are against my own personal liking. I prefer the more floral/fruity IPAs rather than the warmth and earthiness of this one. Almost came off a bit too phenolic for an IPA....

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured into a tall pilsner glass. Dark burnt orange, medium carbonation bubbles. A thick finger and a half head that is a little off white in color and is frothy looking. Lace is not sticking very well.

Smell is mainly of yeast or bread. Maybe a hint of citrus. A bit sweet.

Taste is like the smell but not so yeasty. The malt sweet comes first and then the very mild citrus hop flavors of maybe a tangelo or some other sweet citrus fruit. Then the yeast.

Mouth is good. The carbonation never leaves this and the malt bill keeps this silky rich to the end.

This bottle is dated "Enjoy by 05/23/11" So it's probably fairly fresh. I don't know when it was bottled but I wouldn't push this one to the end. It is not the huge hop punch that I like, but I do think this one is worthy of a try, and would be happy for another. Thanks to turfy for this one. Recommended!!

12 oz bottle into DFH snifter

A - Pours a deep copper, clear, with half a finger of a grainy-cream colored head. I really like the color and the lacing is nice.

S - Grassy and grapefruit hops with a hint of sweetness. some grainy malt and sweet malt in the background.

T - Sweet and bitter. Hoppy pine and grapefruit with a touch of grass. Some malt sweetness. Perhaps a bit plain. I remember it being much better and hoppier on draft.

M - Medium body with nice active carbonation.

D - Slightly disappointing, but very tasty and drinkable overall. I remember it being far far better on draft, so perhaps the bottle is a bit old and out of its prime.

3.67/5  rDev -9.8%

A: Pours a copper color with a thin, less than half finger of head.

S: Some citrus pine along with a sweet caramel of toffee aroma.

T: Pine bitterness much more pleasant than the smell. Good amounts of caramel and hints of both orange/lemon bitterness. Some toffee sweetness exist in there too. There is a good astringency as this one warms up too.

M: A little low on the carbonation but it might be this particular bottle. Not overly thick considering the caramel/toffee flavors.

D: It's a well put together IPA but nothing puts it over the top of makes it stand out. With all the other choices in this category, I'm not upset to see it or drink it again but it won't make the rotation for a little while.

3.67/5  rDev -9.8%

Dusty mahagony. Off white head holds retention for a substantial amount of time. Leaves a thin lace behind.

Sweet light floral malt aromas. Hints of pine as well as some fruity esters. Sweet toffee induced malts. Flower aromas overwhelm all other contenders.

The flowery, flowered, flowers of hops leads over to the taste. Albeit not overly bitter and well balanced by the semi sweet toffee malt. Light citrus approach with undescernible notations.

Mouth is medium bordering on thin. This is a solid beer and very drinkable.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - pours a clear, light orange with a medium head. Low bubbles. Some lace.

S - mild for an IPA, citrus, pine and floral. Soft malt. A little soapy.

T - same as the aroma. Grapefruit is prominent. Not intense or special, but it does it have a nice flavor. This is a soft IPA. Drinks like a hoppy pale ale.

M - light-medium body with moderate carbonation. Low-medium bitterness for an IPA. Mild malty sweetness.

O - not a super hoppy IPA. Conservative, easy to drink and well made. Would drink again, but I wouldn't rave about it.

3.67/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured a copper color with a white head that lasted throughout. The nose is hops with some pine and citrus. The beer is smooth and the hops really come through. Very bitter towards the end. I enjoyed it but I don't think I could have more than a couple in one sitting because it's so dry at the end. Not as hoppy as I thought and the bitterness killed it for me. Wanted more hops, less bite.

3.67/5  rDev -9.8%

A= dark amber color with a one finger head. Not a lot of bubbles
S= some hints of flor hops, more earthy hops, a lot of grapefruit though
T= very complex blend of hop bitterness that's not over powering lots of grapefruit in it and some orangy citrus
M= a bitter dry end light with little carbonation
D=high this beer does a good job of not making the hops overpowering despite the name. Very enjoyable beer, can't wait till football is on

3.67/5  rDev -9.8%

Two finger head, Smell is hoppy, pine-like and not overwhelming. Taste is spicey, with hints of caramel. Full bodied and dry aftertaste. The hoppiness is very strong on the initial taste and there is no letting up from there on. I think the A+ given by "The Bros" is generous. The beer is very good but not A+ good.

3.66/5  rDev -10.1%

Dark copper with a slightly off-white head. Mouth-watering.

Suprisingly malty smelling. Sweet malt with flower-like hop aromas.

Full, rich malt backbone. Bitterness that comes to meet the malt and just tops it enough to provide a slight lingering bitterness. Flavor hops to round out the package. Delicious.

Full mouthfeel, but a lot of it comes from CO2. I'd like to try it naturally conditioned to get a better sense of the beer behind the carbonation.

Smooth and tasty. Very drinkable.

An old favorite. A wonderful (and missed) east coast IPA.

3.66/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass.

4.5 A: Clear amber orange color. Two fingers of thick creamy head with good retention and some lacing.

3.5 S: Citrus and herbal hops. Slight breadiness and a touch of caramel.

3.5 T: The hop profile isn't as deep as I'd prefer. Lots of bittering hops while not much in terms of flavor. Not quite as balanced because of this, though still very tasty. Malts are a bit bready, caramel, grainy.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good carbonation and creaminess, but could be improved.

4.0 D: Intense hop bitterness brings out the hophead in me, which makes this very drinkable.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company