Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours out a rich copper colour, with a mediocre off white head and coarse carbonation that quickly retreats.
Aroma is big floral hoppiness, bit of citrus and perhaps jasmine.
The taste doesn’t seem to be an accurate reflection of the aroma, though; it’s non-existant for a moment, then builds a bit to a hoppy bitterness, with a finish that tastes like a not-so-good grapefruit. A malt sweetness is also present, but, I don’t think it meshes well with the rest of the flavours.
Mouthfeel is creamy and medium body.
I was expecting this beer to be a lot more hoppy than it is. for the record, this 6 pack has a best before date of a little over a month ago, so, I think that may have something to do with it.

trancefishy, Oct 16, 2004
3.33/5  rDev -18.4%

I've been wanting to try more victory brews, and I was looking forward to this one for a few weeks:

Poured into a pint glass, huge head over caramel colored beer. looks magnificent. I let the beer sit, and the head subsides slightly.
I bring it to my nose. Not picking up too much, just some fresh hops. First eager drink. Wow. suprised to say i did'nt get to much out of this, not very hoppy in my opinion. I don't know what most people think of this, but for my money, this would be an exceptional APA, but comes nowhere near my personal expectations for an IPA. I find the mouthfeel to be very nice, and I do think the drinkability on this beer is mighty high. It's a delicious beer, I just don't think it fits with the style that it is representing.

dancinwillie, Aug 02, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -18.4%

A: Pours a very dark amber, very clear with minimal head and decent lacing.

S: lots of malt with a hint of hops

T: first taste was very malty, sweet and bready... to me this tastes like a slightly hoppy Fat Tire. If that's what you're into this is probably great but I prefer more dry hopped taste.

M: Feel is good, a bit oily and creamy with some good carbonation to hop balance. Probably the best aspect of this brew IMO.

D: Not sure I could down much more than one or two of these, very heavy and malty.

Caveat: I do prefer more hop forward beers and less malt so if you prefer a good balanced beer you might enjoy this one. I'd say give it a try and see for yourself!

unHipHopHead, Apr 23, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -18.4%

Picked this up based on store posted Beer Advocate ratings.

A: This beer looked good, a little cloudy, but rich in color.

S: This beer smells like it advertises. Very strong hops.

T: This beer is all hops. Some may dig that, and I do normally, but there wasn't any balance in this beer. It was all bitter hops.

M: Hopdevil left a bitter taste in my mouth for hours after drinking it. I almost wanted to drink something else to clear.

D: I can only do one of these in a sitting. To much bitterness. A touch of sweetness to balance this would make it amazing!

mandoskippy, Oct 18, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -18.4%

Pours a deep cloudy brownish amber with a nice big white head. Good retention and nice lacing. Smell is piney and also a little nutty. The hops bitterness takes over the taste but it isn't the typical citrus/pine hops. Definately more spicey and nutty than what i would expect from an ipa. The bitterness sticks with you but not a good way. I can see how this would appeal to some but not what I look for in an ipa at all. One of the few dissapointments I've had from Victory.

beermanbrian, Dec 31, 2005
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best buy date of Oct. 11th 2011. Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Purchased as part of a Victory mix 12 pack.

A- Pours a nice copper hue that sits rich in the glass. A big foamy light khaki head forms then fades down slowly to leave a dense foamy film to cap the liquid. Some sticky lacing.

S- Sweet bready malt, some spicy hops present. Very malt forward. Quite appealing. The aroma is felt on roof of mouth.

T- Similar taste to what the aroma would indicate. Lots of sweet bready malt, spicy rye bread. The hops are quite spice centered, but have a touch of pine and light citrus zest in the end and finish. The hops start to come out of the malt body as it warms.

M- Medium bodied. The body of the beer does linger well, as well as a mellow bitterness. Mildly drying on palate. Simple.

O- A good IPA overall. Very easy to drink. Lots of balance here, if thats your thing. I prefer a hop forward IPA, so thats why I'm rating the otherwise solid brew down a couple notches. Everyone should try this beer.

busterthecat, Jul 20, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy orange..lively head..laces ; drops to a film.
Smells like HOPS..piney..doughy ....almost a metallic scent in there.
Tastes sweet malt for about one second; then the hops kick in and it's grapefruit-rind time...alcohol is right there too....tames a bit on warming.
Mouthfeel is medium ....carbonation medium.
One will be enough for me. I think I'd like this better if there was just a little more sugar to balance the hops.

Hautacam, Mar 10, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -18.4%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

It pours a light amber with a decent white head that lasts about 1 minute, light lacing.

The smell is all hops, nothing else on the nose.

The taste is ok, nothing but hops again. Not a great finish. Pretty drinkable.

jrallen34, Oct 10, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -18.4%

Reviewed on 7/10/08. On cask at Blind Tiger. Pours a cloudy brown with a bubbly white head. Aroma is very fruity with citrus hops lingering in the background. Also smells like red grape juice. Flavor is less fruity initially as the aroma with more hop bitterness. A very odd IPA- I got roasted malts, soda, apples, raisin, and alcohol. I've never had this beer before, but it seems that it's quite different on cask. Interesting and not really at all like an IPA.
7/3/7/3/14 (3.4/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 20, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a crystal-clear golden orange, with tons of frothy, off-white head that lingers. Tons of lacing. Beautiful looking beer.

Smell: Grassy and mild citrus hops, with a fairly noticeable sweet and bready malt backbone. Hops were not as prevalent as I expected, nor as harsh.

Taste: Surprisingly balanced. The grassy and mild citrus hops are up front, but their bitterness is cut by the malt. There's a mild bitterness in the finish, but nothing major. I'm missing the usual hop 'bite' that I usually get in IPAs. When I first tried this, I thought immediately of SNPA - which is not necessarily a bad thing, but to me, this is more of an American Pale Ale than an IPA. It's an enjoyable beer, but IMO, not the best IPA. The overall flavor is a little watery.

Mouthfeel: Thin, but good carbonation.

Drinkability: It's a good beer, and one I wouldn't mine having several of...if the ABV was lower. It doesn't taste like an IPA, just a regular APA, but has the ABV of an IPA. It's not a bad beer...but not what I would go for if I want an IPA.

StarlightSeraph, Feb 22, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured from bottle into 22 ounce glass.. Slight head that remained in this light copper coloured beer.. Has hoppy taste that is not too bad overall.. Lace left on glass after finishing, leaves slight after taste... Will buy again next year in a six pack..

grizzly700, Sep 06, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

This looked like a red ale. Pour was nice, looked like it was going to taste good, but I was disappointed. It didn't have enough bite for an IPA. I didn't taste a hop explosion, I thought it was one of the more watered down tasting micro-brews I've ever had. I was expecting big taste, but something was missing. Not enough flavor for me. Maybe I had a bad bottle. Didn't compare to many of the other IPAs I've had.

Pittsburgh, Mar 20, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours copper, with a tan, foamy head.and nice lacing. Smell is of hops,pine,and citrus, with a sweet edge. Body is medium,with some carbonation. Taste has a bitter edge,that I thought would be better balanced. The sweetness in the smell was not comming through for me. It's stright bitter from start to finish. Don't get me wrong,this is not a bad beer, but I liked Hazed and Infused much better.

riversider76, Apr 04, 2006

Served in a pint glass

A: pours a slightly hazy, like amber golden color with a nice amount of foamy slightly off white head that lingers, medium lacing

S: very nice hop notes, great citrus and grapefruit notes

T: interesting taste, nice hop notes, slight citrus flavor, something lingers on the palate that is almost like a slight skunkiness

D/M: medium carbonation, smooth drinking, sits a little heavy, lingering taste on the palate is not the best

BigPlay1824, Jan 29, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours an amber color with a fairly good sized head. Smells very floral, a little bit of pine, and it's very clear from both the look and the smell that it has a decent malt backbone to it. The taste has a fairly strong bitterness to it which is balanced with a caramel finish. It's a nice, balanced IPA. Not really my favorite, but I also don't think it was as fresh as I'd like. Too much malt for me, not sure if that was due to the hops fading or not.

atowle25, May 20, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

12 oz. bottle poured to Hefe glass. Pours amber red with a large white head. Smell is on the floral hop side, very little citrus or pine on this one. Flavor is very malt forward, caramel, toffee, some sweetness. Hops are not particularly present in the flavor, with little citrus or pine influence. Medium carbonation and heavier on the palate than I expected. Overall I was not impressed with this one and suspect I got an old bottle. Will revisit.

BMMillsy, Feb 15, 2012
3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

A- Pours a deep golden ale that is very bubbly. Thin, thigh head that has some retention and little lacing.

S- Faint hops but a very malt forward beer. A little grass but mostly oaky, roasted malts.

T- More malt heavy than smell leads you into. I have no hop character at all. Munich malts are prevalent as is a oak/wood finish.

M- Has a heavy feel in the mouth that is sticky and dry. Very easy to drink and could consume a couple rather quickly.

O- Strangely, I am really enjoying this beer, just not as an IPA. Has characteristics of amber ale and pale ales from Europe. I opened this Expecting an IPA and am disappointed by what I got. I will, though, try more of Victory's beers.

spree92, May 26, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured into glass. Rich, amber color with a 2-3 finger head. Noticed a good amount of carbonation.

Mild citrus smell - not too powerful rounded out with a decent malt.

When imbibed, noticed a firm malt-base and finished with a moderate bitter kick that lingered. Had a creamy mouthfeel.

I am not sure about everyone else but this came across as more of an English IPA then American. I say so due to the more balanced flavor of the brew (malt), reminded me a lot of McEwan's IPA (which I have read is a repackaged Special Import). This would be a nice session beer but personally, I would have wanted a lot more hops for a beer calling itself a "Hop Devil."

jdoncbus, Apr 16, 2007
3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

A- Deep orange-red with surprisingly little head or lacing. Looks kind of hazy.

S- Very sweet-smelling with caramel malt and citrusy hops.

T- Malt presence is quite strong here. Toasted, caramelly flavors abound. Hops are certainly there with an orangey flavor, but are not as prominent as I was expecting. Alcohol pops up every once in a while too. Fairly high bitterness on the finish.

M- Nice medium-bodied mouthfeel. Carbonation is pretty strong here.

D- Good drinkability, not great, but good. I could put down a couple of these, but not more than that.

Eh, I wasn't that impressed with this one. I was expecting more. The hops weren't as prominent as I had hoped. The balance between malt and hops was good no doubt, but the hop flavor was rather nondescript. It's alright, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. I had it on tap once and it was much better.

vtfan77, Oct 04, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours a nice stable one and a half finger, white head which slowly fades to a solid cap that sticks to the edge if the glass to the end. It has a nice clear dark orange/red color. Smells very faintly of citrus hops and mildly sweet. Tastes of sweet with a citrus twinge, that finishes medium dry. Then some sort of funny after taste comes on, can't figure this one out. Not very drinkable for me. I didn't finish it. But I did like the " drink by ######" on the bottle.

Homebrew35, Oct 13, 2010
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this one awhile back, thought I would give it another shot. Now I remember why I haven't had it in awhile.

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: Dark Amber with a small white head.

S: Bitter smell of hops which is mostly masked by sweet malt.

T: Not as hoppy as anticipated. For me this was dominated by malt.

M: Medium body with light carbonation.

O: I don't think this was as fresh as it could have been...the best drink date is several months away but this was mostly dominated by malts and not the hops I was lookign forward to. Will probably revisit this beer 6 months down the road.

omniscientcause, Aug 24, 2011
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

actually had a chance to try this beer twice, the latter by accident.

forgot i had already had it. it poured nicely, golden cloudy, with a decent head, but that faded quickly.

aroma was citrus, but the taste was quite muted, not too much hopping devil wise. don't get me wrong, it went down just fine.

not too disappointed, but the 'hop devil' moniker had me prepared for more than advertised.

sabalon, Feb 16, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

I think I may have a bad six pack, very bitter, almost soap like aftertaste.

It pours an amber color with 1.5 inches of head that leaves a nice lacing down the glass.

Smells piny and sweet. A nice smelling IPA.

Taste is pleasant. Hop bitterness up front with a caramel sweetness in the middle. Aftertaste is like soap, and no I don't wash my glass with soap. Bought a 6 back 5 had this (1 a drain-pour) and 1 fantastic one. Awesome on tap.

Nice mouthfeel, nicely carbonated. Coats the mouth, but not overly so.

Drinkability suffers cause of the aftertaste.

Like I said, probably a bad six pack, and will be re-reviewed if I get one that isn't like this. Not very pleasant this time.

bs870621345, Aug 06, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

Was honestly surprised by this beer. I expected a good brew from Victory, but usually beers with "hop" in the name don't deliver for me. But with this beer I was wrong, it was definitely niice and hoppy. The smell was a lot earthier than I had expected, it had a lot of straw/hay scent, along with caramel and hops. Taste was nice and balanced. A good beer to find at the sandwich shop around the corner - salud!

alysmith4, Mar 24, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

Found this in San Diego and was excited to try it after not having easy access to Victory beers in the Bay Area. Pint glass pour and I am met with a copper colored ale with a bubbly foamy head which stays throughout the session and produces a ton of lacing. The aroma is a major malt bomb. Bready, doughy almost a skunky beer smell. I wasn't really impressed with the taste. I was expecting a major hop explosion but it was not to be. Subdued hops are present with a lot of maltiness going on. There is an odd aftertaste which is present far too long. It wasn't an overall difficult beer to consume, but multiples were not in the cards for me...though I'm sure it would be for many others. Just didn't dig it that much unfortunately.

kaseydad, Apr 30, 2010