Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros

Served in a pint glass

A: pours a slightly hazy, like amber golden color with a nice amount of foamy slightly off white head that lingers, medium lacing

S: very nice hop notes, great citrus and grapefruit notes

T: interesting taste, nice hop notes, slight citrus flavor, something lingers on the palate that is almost like a slight skunkiness

D/M: medium carbonation, smooth drinking, sits a little heavy, lingering taste on the palate is not the best

BigPlay1824, Jan 29, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours an amber color with a fairly good sized head. Smells very floral, a little bit of pine, and it's very clear from both the look and the smell that it has a decent malt backbone to it. The taste has a fairly strong bitterness to it which is balanced with a caramel finish. It's a nice, balanced IPA. Not really my favorite, but I also don't think it was as fresh as I'd like. Too much malt for me, not sure if that was due to the hops fading or not.

atowle25, May 20, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

12 oz. bottle poured to Hefe glass. Pours amber red with a large white head. Smell is on the floral hop side, very little citrus or pine on this one. Flavor is very malt forward, caramel, toffee, some sweetness. Hops are not particularly present in the flavor, with little citrus or pine influence. Medium carbonation and heavier on the palate than I expected. Overall I was not impressed with this one and suspect I got an old bottle. Will revisit.

BMMillsy, Feb 15, 2012
3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

A- Pours a deep golden ale that is very bubbly. Thin, thigh head that has some retention and little lacing.

S- Faint hops but a very malt forward beer. A little grass but mostly oaky, roasted malts.

T- More malt heavy than smell leads you into. I have no hop character at all. Munich malts are prevalent as is a oak/wood finish.

M- Has a heavy feel in the mouth that is sticky and dry. Very easy to drink and could consume a couple rather quickly.

O- Strangely, I am really enjoying this beer, just not as an IPA. Has characteristics of amber ale and pale ales from Europe. I opened this Expecting an IPA and am disappointed by what I got. I will, though, try more of Victory's beers.

spree92, May 26, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured into glass. Rich, amber color with a 2-3 finger head. Noticed a good amount of carbonation.

Mild citrus smell - not too powerful rounded out with a decent malt.

When imbibed, noticed a firm malt-base and finished with a moderate bitter kick that lingered. Had a creamy mouthfeel.

I am not sure about everyone else but this came across as more of an English IPA then American. I say so due to the more balanced flavor of the brew (malt), reminded me a lot of McEwan's IPA (which I have read is a repackaged Special Import). This would be a nice session beer but personally, I would have wanted a lot more hops for a beer calling itself a "Hop Devil."

jdoncbus, Apr 16, 2007
3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

A- Deep orange-red with surprisingly little head or lacing. Looks kind of hazy.

S- Very sweet-smelling with caramel malt and citrusy hops.

T- Malt presence is quite strong here. Toasted, caramelly flavors abound. Hops are certainly there with an orangey flavor, but are not as prominent as I was expecting. Alcohol pops up every once in a while too. Fairly high bitterness on the finish.

M- Nice medium-bodied mouthfeel. Carbonation is pretty strong here.

D- Good drinkability, not great, but good. I could put down a couple of these, but not more than that.

Eh, I wasn't that impressed with this one. I was expecting more. The hops weren't as prominent as I had hoped. The balance between malt and hops was good no doubt, but the hop flavor was rather nondescript. It's alright, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. I had it on tap once and it was much better.

vtfan77, Oct 04, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours a nice stable one and a half finger, white head which slowly fades to a solid cap that sticks to the edge if the glass to the end. It has a nice clear dark orange/red color. Smells very faintly of citrus hops and mildly sweet. Tastes of sweet with a citrus twinge, that finishes medium dry. Then some sort of funny after taste comes on, can't figure this one out. Not very drinkable for me. I didn't finish it. But I did like the " drink by ######" on the bottle.

Homebrew35, Oct 13, 2010
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this one awhile back, thought I would give it another shot. Now I remember why I haven't had it in awhile.

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: Dark Amber with a small white head.

S: Bitter smell of hops which is mostly masked by sweet malt.

T: Not as hoppy as anticipated. For me this was dominated by malt.

M: Medium body with light carbonation.

O: I don't think this was as fresh as it could have been...the best drink date is several months away but this was mostly dominated by malts and not the hops I was lookign forward to. Will probably revisit this beer 6 months down the road.

omniscientcause, Aug 24, 2011
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

actually had a chance to try this beer twice, the latter by accident.

forgot i had already had it. it poured nicely, golden cloudy, with a decent head, but that faded quickly.

aroma was citrus, but the taste was quite muted, not too much hopping devil wise. don't get me wrong, it went down just fine.

not too disappointed, but the 'hop devil' moniker had me prepared for more than advertised.

sabalon, Feb 16, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

I think I may have a bad six pack, very bitter, almost soap like aftertaste.

It pours an amber color with 1.5 inches of head that leaves a nice lacing down the glass.

Smells piny and sweet. A nice smelling IPA.

Taste is pleasant. Hop bitterness up front with a caramel sweetness in the middle. Aftertaste is like soap, and no I don't wash my glass with soap. Bought a 6 back 5 had this (1 a drain-pour) and 1 fantastic one. Awesome on tap.

Nice mouthfeel, nicely carbonated. Coats the mouth, but not overly so.

Drinkability suffers cause of the aftertaste.

Like I said, probably a bad six pack, and will be re-reviewed if I get one that isn't like this. Not very pleasant this time.

bs870621345, Aug 06, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

Was honestly surprised by this beer. I expected a good brew from Victory, but usually beers with "hop" in the name don't deliver for me. But with this beer I was wrong, it was definitely niice and hoppy. The smell was a lot earthier than I had expected, it had a lot of straw/hay scent, along with caramel and hops. Taste was nice and balanced. A good beer to find at the sandwich shop around the corner - salud!

alysmith4, Mar 24, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

Found this in San Diego and was excited to try it after not having easy access to Victory beers in the Bay Area. Pint glass pour and I am met with a copper colored ale with a bubbly foamy head which stays throughout the session and produces a ton of lacing. The aroma is a major malt bomb. Bready, doughy almost a skunky beer smell. I wasn't really impressed with the taste. I was expecting a major hop explosion but it was not to be. Subdued hops are present with a lot of maltiness going on. There is an odd aftertaste which is present far too long. It wasn't an overall difficult beer to consume, but multiples were not in the cards for me...though I'm sure it would be for many others. Just didn't dig it that much unfortunately.

kaseydad, Apr 30, 2010