Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
3.44/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had the draft-nitro @ Fountainhead tonight and it was like a hopped up marshmallow. I will wither away of old age before the frothy/creamy head on this goes down.

So cool to tame the bitterness of the hops w/the nitro and still remain damn tasty. Killer w/the gorganzola burger, too.

Bottle w/drink by date of 06/13.

Nice amber in the glass w/decent lacing. A very nice looking beer.

The nose is a bit perfumey. The hops are there, but, it's got a lilac & hop combo thing.

The flavors are pretty standard IPA - hoppy and bitter and not much else. Lacks any interesting factor and fairly one dimensional.

Overall - I'd recommend to someone who has never had an IPA and wants to try a basic, no-frills beer w/the two basic components of the India Pale Ale - hops and bitterness.

Basically a Hop Czar for a few bucks more.

Indybier, Mar 02, 2013

notes from 5/26 ipa blind tasting

best by date 8/13/09

pours amber orange mimimal head that left no lacing

smell was mostly bready malts with slight pine and citrus hops

taste was balanced well bready malts along with spicy peppery hops and bitter ash in the aftertase

mouthfeel - first sip stings the mouth but has good creamy finish

drinkability - ok if you are looking for balanced ipa that is light body - just not that exciting

over this beer finished last in blind tasting
rankings on tasting 1-8 GFlash-2Hrtd-BigEye-Hop3-CorneDuDiable-60min-AlphaKing-Hdevil

jsh420, Jun 05, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

12 oz. bottle pours a burnt orange color. Has a one finger head that fades quickly. Earthy, smokey smell. The taste is of caramel, smoke, at first then a rush of fresh floral hops in a medium body. Finishes with a slightly bitter grapefruit bite. Not bad, but not fresh tasting either.

beerceller99, Oct 01, 2004

Taken from notes from 9/26/10

Upon pouring the beer, it pours a deep amber, mahogany color with lots of natural carbonation. It builds about a 2-finger head, but that dissipates relatively quickly. The smell is a bit weak, but you get the usual fragrances familiar to other IPAs such as pine and hops, with a little bit of citrus. However, it doesn't have much oomph.

Once I dove into this beer and finally tasted it, I was a bit surprised. For being a 6.7% IPA, it is surprisingly refreshing. It feels light in the mouth and goes down very easily. However, the downside is that there is a disappointing amount of body. The flavor is there, but it fades quick and is relatively forgetful. The initial impression that I got from this beer is that is just feels kind of "weak".

Not to say that it is bad, necessarily. Just that from a beer called "HopDevil", I was expecting something with a bit more of a punch. I feel that if I were just getting into the IPA style, this would be an excellent jumping off point, but for someone who has explored many IPA's, this is one that falls a little short. If it were a bit cheaper, it would definitely be one of my go-to IPA's however, due to its great refreshing taste.

Would buy again, but wouldn't go out of my way to search for it.

nhindian, Nov 07, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Nice copper color with a medium head that remained thru the sample. The smell has traces of hops and sweetness, but they are slight and not what you would expect for a beer called HopDevil. The taste was even for my liking. This beer was hoppy before the rise of hopbombs, but now it is middle of the road. Enough resin is there to coat your mouth, but not enough to burn like others. The mouthfeel is thick for my liking, with a malt aftertaste on the back of my throat. This beer remains popular and I will have it again, more on tap than in the bottle.

mobud, Mar 19, 2007
3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

With all the hype about this beer I decided to give it a try....

The pour revealed great head retention with generous amounts of foamy white lace.It had a smell of hops with a bitter touch.The smell also had a "copper" smell to it.It had a full body with a dark cherry red color.Very silky and smooth with a good mouthfeel.The finish was very dry with a long bitter grapefruity aftertaste.The overall taste didnt impress me.Other than the appearance I dont see what all the hype is about.Way too bitter needs more balance.This beer is way to overrated! I would not buy or drink this again.

kelticblood, Dec 30, 2002
3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours a cloudy amber with a rigorous, thick velvety head -- doesn't look much like your typical IPA, which should have tipped me off that something wasn't quite right. Nose is a dominating raw maltiness with the characteristic floral hops nearly absent. The taste does not add much complexity; very little hop bitterness follows. Where exactly is this hop devil hiding? Maybe I'm spoiled by the hop blasts I'm used to from the American IPAs, but this one just isn't done to style. Overall, a pleasant but one-dimensional beer.

gyllstromk, Jan 23, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

A: Poured an amber caramel color with virtually no head. No lacing to speak of.

S: Grassy hops mixed with very sweet malt notes. Apple juice and caramel come to mind. Not much else here.

T: Lots of malt and bitter grassy hops. The sweetness of the malt dominates this beer with flavors of caramel apple. The bitterness comes in a very grassy earthy form but comes across as watered down.

M: Very good mouthfeel, the brew is thick and full.

O: The strong malt profile of this beer mixed with the grassy hops makes for an interesting take on the IPA. For me it was too sweet and the mix of grassy bitterness was not too enjoyable. But for those that like malt or ambers, this might be your beer.

legalpete19340, Apr 01, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

12 oz., best before 11/20/04, but I kept it to see what would happen. Pours a caramel/copper color with a 1 finger head that leaves decent lacing. Lots of malts in the aroma along with a grapey scent that lets you know it's not a fresh beer. It's got bready/biscuity malts with floral hops that leave a healthy bitterness. It's tingly and a little warming and much better when fresh.

mmmbeer, Jun 10, 2005
3.4/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap in Downingtown, PA. Not at the brewery itself, but close enough. Anyway...
Pours a nice copper color with an off white head and some lace rings as it goes down.
Aromas begin with a good amount of pine and floral hops as well as a bit of citrus.
The tastes add some caramel but is mostly pine and floral hops without too much bitterness.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly dry.
Overall it is good, but forgettable in a sea of IPAs which exist in today's market. Good to find on tap amongst the other domestic swill my hotel had on tap.

claspada, Jul 03, 2011

Purified, Nov 22, 2014
3.4/5  rDev -16.7%

Had this once in college when I was still "in the dark." Did not like it then, so i decided to revisit now that I have a more "educated" palette. Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a glass mug.

A: Pours an amber body with an off-white head with decent retention. Eventually slows ot a small lacing along the top of the beer with some lacing along the sides of the glass.

S: A nice, hoppy smell. Not as strong as I expected, but still fairly evident.

T: A rather hoppy taste, but not as much as I expected. Some malts in the aftertaste as a balancer, but the hops were not as strong to really balance the beer.

M: Pretty full-bodied, but slightly on the light side. Carbonation was okay.

D: Fairly drinkable beer. Good mouthfeel with an ok taste. I expected a little bit more of a bittering hop taste from the beer.

maddogruss, Jan 04, 2008

jpezza21, Nov 11, 2014
3.4/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours a deep but clear amber with a finger's worth of oat colored head. Dissipates slowly to a bit of lacing.

Smells hoppy and floral. Very potent. The hop aroma is fresh (not dry at all) and overpowers anything else that is there.

The taste echos the smell. Very potent floral hops with the expected hoppy bitterness in the aftertaste. Again, the hops take center stage and make it difficult to sense anything else, but there is a light sweetness in there as well, like a bit of honey.

The mouthfeel is smooth, not thin, and slightly carbonated. The balance is very good for the style.

I'm really just not a big fan of hoppy beers. However, as far as they go, this one of the ones I've enjoyed the most. The floral taste and aroma goes a long way in mitigating the bitter aftertaste for me. I can imagine that this is an absolute gem for hopheads. If I had to drink a hoppy beer, this would be among my top choices.

Cylinsier, Jul 20, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -16.7%

Moms and pops brought this one back from Pennsylvania for me. Thanks guys.

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a big medium-thin looking 3 finger off-white head or cream colored head with half decent retention. Medium carbonation evident in the form of tiny little bubbles. Burgundy or maroon brown in color. Head recedes to a bubbly foam ring and a wisp, leaving some immediate bubbly lacing. A splotchy wisp remains leaving some lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Pale and caramel malts and mild floral notes. Hops were very subdued here. Not all that much to talk about. Not bad, just not interesting enough for the style.

TASTE: Much better; where did this come from? Pale and caramel malts up front with some floral hops through the middle. Finishes with a good dose of piney floral and bitter hops. A bold and lingering aftertaste is full of piney flavors and a touch of caramel sweetness to balance it out. Good stuff here.

PALATE: Medium-light body with higher end carbonation. Not creamy enough, but goes down fine and finishes slightly dry on the palate. Just doesn't quite measure up.

OVERALL: Definitely an odd one. The taste profile was well balanced and very enjoyable, making it more than drinkable, but the nose was too weak and everything else about it was average at best. I'm honestly not quite sure why this one is rated so highly. Perhaps the bottle was not quite as fresh as it could be, so I'll have to give it another go if I see it on my next trip to the States.

Jeffo, Mar 28, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured into a pint glass a cloudy gold color. Not too much head or lacing to be seen. Had a real hoppy smell with a slight flowery hint. Not too much in the taste though. My it was just the aroma hops? Taste followed suit with the smell and had a pretty hoppy presence in it with just a little bit of malt. Had sort of a lighter mouthfeel to it. Not as hopped up as I expected from the name and the style but I feel it was a pretty good offering.

PorterLover83, Nov 27, 2007
3.4/5  rDev -16.7%

A- light golden brown, with no real head.

S- Lots of floral hops just a nice big kick of them but not so much to be off putting

T- Good floral kick nice lasting hope flavors but one dimensional.

M- Nice bubbles good thickness.

D- Some what drinkable almost too much hops but ok if your a hop head overall that that imaginative and just a one trick pony.

beckje01, Sep 22, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -16.7%

from the bottle. poured a nice amber to copper with a light tan head. aroma, nice hops, grapefruit, honey, caramel, spicy. flavor a little on the light side compared to the aroma, dry , bitter , some hops would have liked the hops to be a little more robust, had a hard tine finding the malt and caramel. but over all a very drinkable beer.

walleye, Oct 13, 2005
3.4/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I got this in a 12 ounce cup at the Wachovia Center. I was suprised when I saw a Victory stand and was shocked that this would be at a basketball game. It poured a deep yet light brown color with no head at all. There was however, a fair amount of lacing all the way down. The smell had a nice hop smell and the taste had lingers of the same. There was a bit of a bite to the mouthfeel that I didn't really like that much. For the most part this was a just above average beer. Don't drink and review.

treehugger02010, May 24, 2007
3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

A - clear, amber...not much action in it.

S - a bit resiny for me.

T - very crisp, some sharp hop flavors and a hint of pine. NO lingering aftertaste, which is OK by me.

M - Lighter on the tongue thane expected, perhaps a but flat.

D - I prefer a little more body and smoothness of my IPA, but certainly a better than average one. I would keep this is my fridge for an all-purpose beer.

ILikeBeer13, Mar 05, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

Bought a sixer at the corner store . This was my first experience with a victory brew overall I came away satisfied. Beer poured into DFH pint glasss minimal head, no lacing. Nice hop and amalt aromas . Pours nice and dark for an IPA. Very hoppy first tasete balanced with some maltiness very dry bitter finish . mouthfeel is very thin. Was expecting somthing more inlight of the $11.00 I spent. However this would be an epic session beer if available at happy hour prices . Additionally I think that the abv is overrated in BA description.

Kraken, Mar 08, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours out burnt orange in colour, there was very little head initially and what was there vanished almost immediately.

The aroma is fairly non-distinct...softly floral like many hoppy beers, and a bit of malt is sneaking in there but it's still fairly so-so.

The mouth starts of sweetly malty and then transitions smoothly into the hops which assert themselves strongly on the back of the tongue like a piney citrus twang. The hops were quite strong, but not to the point of being unenjoyable, largely because there was at least some attempt to keep the beer balanced. The after-taste lingers with the hops just refusing to let go of my tongue.

Mouth is fairly light, but that should be expected with this style of beer. Drinkability, a shade above average but nothing remarkable.

This isn't a bad beer, but it takes a really special IPA to grab my attention and this one just isn't that far above average to warrant special mention.

CortexBomb, Aug 13, 2005
3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours a nice red color with a two and a half finger white head. Lots of sticky lacing. Would probably have gotten a 5 for appearance if the head had lasted just a little longer. Still a very nice looking and very clear beer.

Smell has a slight American hop aroma with some citrus. There is also a distinct malt aroma that provides some sweetness as well as some honey in there.

A little heavy on the malt and a little sweeter than I usually like. There are no definable hop characteristics outside of the lingering bitterness on the back of my tongue. The malt flavor is nutty and a little grainy. Not bad, but not what I would normally want from an IPA either.

Medium bodied beer with perfect carbonation. A little residual sweetness hurts this but it's really a nice feeling beer.

Now that I know what I am getting in to I would probably get this again but not when I want a hop bomb. It's strange because I really enjoyed Hop Wallop and would drink that regularly but this one is just meh.

mullenite, May 25, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

A: Clear but amber and much darker than other IPAs. A slightly off-white head rises in as fine and pillowy and leaves just a touch of lace

S: Limited aroma, maybe just a very faint citrus

MF: Medium body with nice carbonation, but a bit dry feeling

T: The hops are astringent and biting, but quickly balanced by the malt. The hops flavors are indistinct due to the dominant biscuity malt.

D: I could probably drink more of these due to the malt backbone preventing undue palette crushingness, but it isn't what I look for in an IPA

jkendrick, Mar 03, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

This Hop Devil pours a coppery red color, and with a little help, forms a nice 1 finger medium bodied head. There is some nice lacing that looks like ink blots forming down the side of the glass as I sip.

The beer smells delicate with some hints of orange. It tastes bitter. Lemon a grapefruit dominate. Malt is hard to detect, but I taste some caramel in the background. To me, this beer does not have enough character to back up the smooth bitterness. It leaves a dry metallic sensation on my tongue. The mouthfeel is a tad thin and slightly under carbonated.

I will have no problem enjoying the rest of my 6 pack, but I had higher expectations of this beer. I'll give it another try in the future.

JackWeizen, Feb 27, 2008