Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,429 | Hads: 6,867
4.11/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Long overdue on this one as I've had several time. Poured into a Belgian Ale glass to reveal a very consistent golden color. Light on the smell but big on the hop taste. Goes down smooth to leave you wanting for more. A great beer when you are drinking more than one...two...etc. (279 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Lovely deep copper in color, brilliantly clear. Pours a nice tight white head with good retention.

Nice slightly sweet hoppy aroma with a bit of mango and pine. Hop aroma a bit subdued, but may be sampling this beer at too cold of a temperature.

Nice maltiness up front is immediately balanced by a lovely nutty hop flavor. Hop flavors more pine than fruit, and has a nice bitterness all the way through. No harsh bitterness break on the back end. Bitterness and overall hop flavors are well done.

Medium body and carbonation, no astringency or harshness from the hops. Maybe a very slight alcohol warming.

Super drinkable for a hoppy IPA. Not overpowering despite being intensely hoppy and quite bitter. Sufficient malt from which to hang the hops. I suddenly have a new contender for my favorite American IPA. (826 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Excellent Beer and priced right. My go to IPA. Their Dirt Wolf is amazing as well. Victory is a great brewery. Love a good IPA and this is one of the best. (155 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice amber color with an off white half inch head. Plenty of lacing left behind as I drank the glass down.
From the second I opened the bottle you could smell the pine. A very hop forward smell.
Very balanced taste that left just a slight aftertaste.
Could drink this beer all day as it is very tasty. In my mind this is a perfect IPA. (340 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Clear orange with a nice thick head.
S - Piney, malty with a little citrus.
T - Taste follows the nose with maybe a little orange.
M - Medium mouth feel and medium carbonation.
O - Very drinkable beer. Not over the top like some West Coast IPA's. Very solid, I can see why this is the go-to IPA for some drinkers. (320 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Look: Lovely bright clear amber with two fingers of white head that settle to a film with minor lacing.

Smell: piney and citrus hops

Taste: Fairly traditional American IPA palate with strong caramelly malt sweetness that nearly balances the strong piney lemon tangerine hops. Lingering bitterness on the tongue.

Feel: Light to medium body and smooth mouthfeel.

Overall: A well-crafted traditional IPA. However, the sweetness approaches excessive for my taste, and the hops while good are nothing to rave about. Although it would have stood out on the shelves 10 or 15 years ago, there are enough interesting alternatives out there now that I don't see myself returning to the Hop Devil. (692 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Nice orange color. Pale head, off-white/tan. Beer looks filtered.

Very nice bouquet of apricots, orange, peach.

Mouthfeel has some nice richness.

Flavor is solid, foursquare. Hops, mostly. Hint of peaches.

Deep but not intense bitter notes on the finish. Almost cocoa, but not a hint of sweetness. (302 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Decent IPA. I was expecting the hops to be more distinctive in this beer, but it was more or less an average IPA. I guess the name of the beer had me expecting more, so in that sense I'm a bit disappointed... But not a bad IPA nonetheless (238 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer makes me very hoppy. The first one I grab at the bottle bar {Fishtown Pa.} after a marathon. One of my faves. I put this ahead of Dirtwolf, nice color and fragrance and flavor. My favorite rating on BA so far. (219 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Beautiful, clear orange/amber with an unremarkable head.

S: Malty, mostly caramel, almost sour. WTF? I guess I pick up some pine and a little indistinct citrus, but malt seems to dominate the nose.

T: Well-balanced between malt and hops, but flavors pretty much follow the nose and I'm having a difficult time pulling out any nuances. Sweet pine? Over-ripe orange? Dandelion? I just don't know. Lots of caramelly malt, for sure, but I expected something more. Like, maybe this beer could live up to its name? At least it leads and finishes piney bitter, but with a whole lot of caramel in between. The combination, I think, is what makes this smell/taste almost sour. But a strange sour, like dandelion wine.

M: What you'd expect for an IPA and maybe a touch thicker. Carbonation is fine.

O: I've had this beer before and don't recall disliking it. But today? I don't think I'd buy it again. Still, my palate has been all over the place lately, and I generally like Victory beers, especially their pilsner, so maybe I'll write this off as a disappointing aberration from the norm. (1,087 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -14%

Solid. I don't seek it out, but I never turn it down. Maybe it was because Michael Jackson admitted he was a Hop Devil addict, maybe it is because its just that good. I put it right there with SNPA, maybe a little above, maybe closer to Torpedo. (248 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: [3.75] Beer has a nice caramel color. Very minimal head formation. Bottle lists ABV (6.7%) and best by (02/23/15).

S: [3.00] I get sweet notes like caramel. Not what I was expecting for an IPA. Nothing aggressive like pine or citrus.

T: [2.75] The taste is mostly malt. There are no hops present at all. There is a sweet mild caramel flavor. There might be a hint of bubble gum on teh finish.

M: [3.00] The carbonation level is slightly elevated but appropriate. Nothing bitter or lingering.

O: [2.75] I feel like I got jipped. I wanted a nice hoppy IPA for the night and I feel like I got lager. This has none of the characteristics of an IPA. Overall I just feel like this beer could not be more average. Nothing stands out. I might have to seek out a fresh one and re-rate in the future. (814 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Dark amber color with a light to moderate aroma. Starts off light on the palate, but ends hoppy and slightly heavy. Quite refreshing and undeniable satisfying, especially for an early fall cookout. (197 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: crystal clear; bronze colored; with a fairly aggressive pour, a 3 finger light khaki head that receded slowly to a very hick cap; very nice rings of lace;

S: complex; floral is more prevalent; caramel backs that up; a little toast and pine behind that;

T: caramel and floral up front; floral is stronger at mid-palate; low too moderate bitterness at the finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: a nice beer, but the flavor doesn't really stand out; (465 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Beautiful yellowish head. Smells are earthy, smoke, and pine. Love the copper, amber color to this beer. Quintessential IPA here. All corners covered. Great presentation. Taste is a bit dry, with a cask type flavor on the palate. Sticky on the throat like glue. A beer to be enjoyed. Carbonation is present and slight bitterness on the aftertaste. Potent beer, with a lot of complexity. Variations in the flavor constantly evolving as the beer changes temperature. Senses are aroused from the nuances of this beer. Lacing is excellent and remains. Do not wait. This is one you must try... (590 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

S-nice subtle hop aroma, sweet and crisp
A-yellow color with off white head that dissipates soon after poured
M-nice light crisp feel, carbonation is on the lighter side
T-bitterness hits the tongue first then a mellow sweetness, followed by a lingering bitterness, definitely an easy coast IPA.
O-a nice IPA, give it a try, I'd say good middle range, sorry Victory I prefer Dirt Wolf (384 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Full of pine and malt, with a very bitter finish. Odd, I know, but not too much citrus in the mix. Mouthfeel a little harsh, tho the malt comes thru nicely as it warms.
West coast thru and thru. (194 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

This is a very solid IPA, nice meld of hops and malts.

Appearance: Golden straw maybe a little bit of red hue going on. Head was large at first but then settled to a nice layer that remained.

Aroma: Nice floral, citrus fruit hop aroma. A bit of pine, but not too much.

Taste: This is one of the better IPA's I have had in a while. Nice combination of malts and hops. Bitter grapefruit and pine but combined well with the malt to make this a smooth and well made IPA.

Overall: For the price I would buy this one again. I honestly think this is a more drinkable beer than it's big brother Dirt Wolf. Victory makes some nice brews and this one has made the top of my list thus far from them. (696 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

I really like this beer! Had it on tap in Massachusetts on a recent vacation and it was even better than I remembered from the bottle. Nicely balanced. (153 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -38.6%

I'm a relatively new beer taster, but after trying a few other IPA's from Southern Tier, Sierra Nevada, and even Samuel Adams, I find Hop Devil to be rather (surprisingly) bland. It's a 12oz bottle, fresh (over 2 months till it's past its due date). The color is good, but it poured quite syrupy into the glass. The smell is malty, with just a touch of citrus fruits. The taste is, as I said, bland. Almost no taste, bread like perhaps, with a mild grapefruit and pine aftertaste. It's a bit thick on the tongue. Overall I'm somewhat disappointed. I saw the high ratings and expected more. I'll definitely pass on this in the future. (633 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

This review is for the bottle. Time and time again, I have tried this beer in the bottle only to be disappointed. I have no idea why this beer is so different in bottle than on tap. On tap, this is a 4.5. The bottles I have had do not seem to hold up like other IPA's. I have no idea why but among all the beers I have had, across the country, this one had more disparity in bottle vs. tap.

The anticipation is there when the cap is popped. The aroma is inviting, the pour is strong, and the color is a beautiful copper. But....the hop characteristics and resin like smell and taste that are so prevalent on tap are muted. I guess this beer does not travel well. But, if anyone tells me this beer rates 100 on tap, then I gotta call newbie.

There are some great IPA's out of the bottle/can. Try Sun King Osiris, Ninkasi Total Domination, or Sculpin IPA. This one disappoints. 100 Points? Ha..... rated higher than Zombie Dust? Flower Power? What are they smoking. This is a damm good beer, but more like a 90-92. (1,040 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a clear, brazen-amber color with a minimal, bubbly white head.

The aroma is very floral and herbaceous, with a dominant, sweet maltiness among toasty biscuits and grains.

The flavor shows a toasted malt base with moderate sweetness, which enhances the uprising fresh, sharp hop bitterness. Green grass and grapefruit bite into the tongue, while the toasty maltiness with hints of toffee keep things in good balance. Medium bodied and crisp on the palate, the finish is on the dry side, while malt still shines trough. The most convincing part of this IPA is its aftertaste, as it is surprisingly long and superdry, with hops sparking very late on the back of the palate, unleashing an enjoyable taste of fruits and grass just at the moment when you begin to think it may be over already. (797 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Poured into nonic. Dark orange hazy half finger head. Decent carbonation. Decent lacing. Smell is piney, citrus hoppy. Taste is strong pine. Hops. Light toasty malt dry medium mouthfeel. I do not like many IPAs. This one is ok to me. (233 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +2.2%

Enjoyed from a 12 oz bottle
Another from a great brewery, thus IPA pours a bright amber copper color with a nice thick
lightly off white head and great clinging lacing. Nose of caramel malts, citrus and pine hops,
grapefruit, orange zest, and lemon peel. Flavors are sweet to the sides, bitter hops to the
back, and citrus hops over all. This is a finely balanced IPA that even a non-hop head like
myself can enjoy. Tons of citrus malts, light bittering to the aftertaste, and a great malt
backbone that gives it a fantastic drinkability.

A must for hop heads and those who are on the border who prefer big malty brews. (628 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a beautiful deep amber with a slight ruby tint. The head is thick when first poured and settles down pretty quickly, leaving a slight sticky lacing. The aroma is pleasant, with earthy hops dominating, a little pine in the middle and a smidge of malt, way in the back. The taste is about the same. The body has a pleasant thickness to it and little bite from the hops on the finish. This is a very good IPA, well made and all that. (437 characters)

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company