Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
2.95/5  rDev -27.7%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Bottle has a date stamp 'Enjoy by may 14th, 07. Date of this tasting: Feb. 07, 2007.

Appearance - clear. Rich Orangish/red color. Very minimal head but stays throughout.

Smell - some hop but less than I expected for a 'hop devil'. In fact, I'm having a hard time getting much out of the aroma. Some cereal characteristics in the malt

Taste - bittering hops definitely come through. Decent malt flavor but takes a back seat to the bitter. Malt does begin to come forward as beer warms. The main characteristic of this beer seems to be the bittering hops.

Mouthfeel - A little thin for a 6.7 ABV

Drinkability - good if you are looking for a focus on bittering hops and for the same reason not a good session beer.

Hortus, Feb 07, 2007
2.95/5  rDev -27.7%

gorgeous crystalline toffee color with 1/2 in. head, receding fast. aromatically challenged, wound up tight. fresh baked bread with concord grape jam, burnt popcorn, perfume counter at the mall on the nose. medium mouthfeel with disappearing to zero midpalate that transitions into short sappy bark plummy abrupt finish. big pazzz on this...

AndrewR, Jul 14, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -27.7%

she's got some kick, but it is a little spicy for me. as far as ipa's go, this one is definitlely one of the best. You will get a load of hops with this brew. It is a pretty intense beer because the hops and carbonation team up to give you a kick in the pants.

The aromas are also wonderful as you are engulfed in an array of spices that makes you want to leap into the glass. I will definitely have to get this one again now that i have some more IPAs to compare it to.

After I have developed a love for IPAs, this one has to be sampled again.

ElGuapo, Jul 03, 2002
2.98/5  rDev -27%

Picked up a single for $1.99. Best By Nov. 29 09

So much for the 'pale' part of India Pale Ale. More of a burnt orange, copper color appearance. A nice foam of head that leaves some light scattered lacing.

Smells like burnt toast, old pine trees, talcum powder. Nothing really floral or grapefruit-y here.

Taste is just intense pine tree sap, spicy herbal-ness, warm grapefruit juice. No real sweetness here, just that intense dry after taste from the hops that is really unappealing.

I think the beer is too unbalanced for my tastes. Glad I only bought a single.

diamondc, Oct 13, 2009

SuomiHobbit, Jun 29, 2013

bigdipip, Nov 20, 2011

Skye1024, Dec 17, 2011

alienlifeforcecube, Sep 22, 2013

MNMike, Mar 20, 2014

Ynextmc, Aug 25, 2012

Nice color. Paints the glass in delicious looking amber, red and orange hues. About a finger on the head and it seems to be sticking around. Solid lacing. Some slow moving carbonation is visible too. About as appetizing looking a beer as I can remember. Seems a little darker than some other IPAs I've tried.

The sniffer likes this one. A good balance of pine, lemon and other citrus scents. A distinctly hoppy scent. Just a hint of spice too. Smells delicious.

Taste somehow seems really weak to me. I'm not getting much beyond a faint caramel flavor at the finish. Just a hint of pine spice in there too. Am I missing something? This doesn't seem right. It's not that it tastes bad, it just doesn't taste like much of anything. Quite a disappointment.

Extremely smooth and mellow mouthfeel. I was really surprised by that. A good balance of bitter and sweet. Not much finish though.

I can't help but feel I've missed something in the taste department. I have another bottle that I'll use as a comparison later and edit this if necessary, but there's just nothing there. Really disappointing. I really like the mouthfeel. It's surprising for an IPA, but is that enough to keep drinking these? I doubt it.

skillerified, Jan 29, 2006

dhep16, Mar 08, 2012

BGsWo22, Jan 30, 2013

immobileman, Oct 25, 2013

SeanDolan, Jan 26, 2013

I have to disagree with the experts on this one. This just didn't quite do it for me and I was dissapointed and felt the hophead experience wasn't there. That's what I get for looking at the "RateBeer" rating that many retailers are now posting in the beer cases next to the beers. For my palate, I think Troeg's Hopback Amber Ale is a better pick in this category. Just not hoppy enough for what I consider to constitute a great American IPA. I think this beer is *much* better on tap than in the bottle. With a name like "HopDevil" this beer should be sinfully hoppy!

Don't get me wrong - this was OK and quite drinkable, but compared to other offerings out there in the American IPA category, this one comes up average across the board to my taste buds. Again, a fine beer, but the line of better American IPAs is long and getting longer!

Hoppington, Jan 02, 2008