Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,429 | Hads: 6,867
3.03/5  rDev -25.6%

Golden-leaning copper topped by thin bone suds.
Malty nose (yes, malty). And fairly vacant too. Caramel toast with glimmers of herb-coated citrus fruits. Just a touch piney as well. It all seems so rote and unnoteworthy.

This is a highly-esteemed IPA?

Seriously?

Maltiness holds up well enough. There's goodly amounts of caramel-draped bread dough. So far, so good. It turns a bit toasty later on. Alright. Well done.
But then...
The hops dribble out. Premature ejactulation-style. Lightly piney and floral and citric. But not in any sort of cohesion. And without any force. The finish is tea-bittered, and weak.
The thinnish mouthfeel does not help matters.
I've had high regards for every other Victory product I've consumed. Hence, I entered with large expectations. But this....this left me scratching my head, and wondering why anyone gives a shit about it.
Maybe absolutely fresh makes all the difference. But right now, absolute indifference is all I feel.
Thanks, anyway, Bighuge, for the opportunity. (1,029 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -25.6%

A - Cloudy orange, amber color. Nice creamy head that doesn't totally go away.

S - Sweet malts, hops, hops

T - For a name like Hop Devil, I was expecting more hops. Typical IPA here, but bitter than most.

M - On the heavy side, somewhat sticky

D - Decent drinkability

A decent IPA, not my favorite. Thanks to Tbn2 for trading this brew for me to try. (357 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance: Attractive amber leaning toward the red side. Small tan and cream head that refused to sustain itself. Not much lacing.

Smell: This one has a more malt based scent than most IPA's do. To be perfectly honest, I get no hop boquet whatsoever. What in the living hell is going on? Is all of my Victory stock old? This stuff is just not that damn good. Am I missing something? This is getting rediculous. Bottled Jan 14, 2005 what is it now? May 5, 2005. This stuff should still be somewhat fresh and flavourful.

Taste: Honey verging on sourness. Caramel. The hops are not too pronounced. Must be they wasted all of em in the Storm King. This is one weak IPA. No dryness in the finish. Weird. I hope this stuff is just old. I just don't see how these Victory beers became so highly reputed. IMHO unworthy of accolades.

Mouthfeel: Yeah it has one. It is fine and beer-like. Light to middy.

Drinkability: Good if you like beers that are not really any particular style. This thing is an abomination of sorts. Not on my list for future consumption, and certainly not on my all star IPA list. This was not a Victory for my taste. I am not trying to hate on this stuff, but I am disappointed. (1,208 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -25.6%

Received from Abankovich in trade. Thank you.

This beer pours a deep amber with one finger of white head. This is a deeper color than most other IPA's I've encountered. It does leave very good lacing on my pint glass. Hops are the only thing I smell on this beer, but that isn't really a good thing. The hop scent is rather muted and not as bold as I was expecting. I don't really pick up any other secondary scents as well. The taste is very sweet upfront with a bit of caramel before the hops take over and assert themselves, but the hops fizzle out rather quickly and leave a tea-bitterness for the rest of the beer. I am rather unsatisfied with each passing drink. The mouthfeel is rather thin, but there is quite a bit of astringency that normally isn't found on IPA's.

I am not sure what I am missing on this one, but I am rather let down. (848 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -25.6%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Received as an extra from portia99. Thanks dude!

A: Pours a clear amber color with half an inch of off-white head that recedes quickly into a collar around the drink and light filming across the top. Has some carbonation up the glass.

S: Lots of hops... Grapefruit citrus, orange, grass, and a little caramel and biscuit malt.

T: Grapefruit hops in the initial taste. The mid-taste is dominated by caramel malt, and the finish is grassy hops with some grapefruit again. A simple and satisfying flavor.

M: Medium-bodied, with low-to-medium carbonation.

D: Pretty high, although it would depend on price. This is the kind of thing I wouldn't mind keeping around the hose for normal drinking, if it were locally available at a fair price. I wouldn't trade for it though. (805 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -25.3%

Served in a pint glass. the beer is a clear amber with a thin off white head that thins to a film and leaves a bit of lacing.

Aroma out of the bottle is thick and floral and a bit citrusy. But that quickly fades. The remaining aroma is thinly hoppy and slightly vegetative. The flavor is fairly one dimensional, only piney hop bitterness stands out. The small malt backbone is bready and muted.

Carbonation is fine but the bitterness lingers in the mouth unpleasantly long. This isn't my kind of IPA. (503 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -25.3%

Thanks for this one soundbarrier.

Appearance: Pours a clear, dark amber with an average tan head. Slight stickiness on the walls of my pint glass. Neato comic book-esque packaging.

Smell: Lots of yeast mixed with a wet dog (kinda musty to me)

Taste: bready, yeasty with a fair amount of hops on the finish. Where's all the hops?

Mouthfeel: High carbonated and a bit waxy

Overall: Not enough hops to be called a "Hopdevil". The hops are either not here or hiding somehere. Nice, but not one that I'd run all over to get. (524 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%

$2.49 for a single 12 oz. at ABC

Allright, lets go ahead and give this bitch a whirl. I must warn you that in the past 3 days I have had Hopslam, Nugget Nectar and Jai Alai and I am not normally an IPA drinker.

A- Pours a nice clean dark orange. Pretty good looking for an IPA.

S- Not so much. The previous 3 I mentioned assaulted you with hop smell...always reminds me of a brew day...this one assaults you with bubbles you have to stick your nose in to try and get the "promised hoppiness"

T- Actually pretty clean. By no means the blast that other big IPA's carry but it delivers clean and crisp but subtle hops. I don't know, with the Nugget Nectar and the Hopslam I'm under the impression that you gotta 'drink this now!!' as the IBU's are gonna fade rather quickly. There is no push to get this brew out to people so I think that this could sit for a while and be the same...or maybe it already has sat a while for all I know.

M- good, like other nice IPA's (I guess, since I really don't drink them)

D- Not bad. I would not go out of my way for it, but considering it is available everywhere here in Florida and Victory is usually pretty solid, I would pick it up again. But for $11 a sicer I would probably get a Jai Alai since it is the loacl brew. (1,263 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%

I picked this up in a mixed six pack from Total Wine. This beer poured a copper color with a white head that lasted throughout. The nose is hops with some pine and citrus. The beer is smooth and the hops really come through. Very bitter towards the end. I enjoyed it but I don't think I could have more than a couple in one sitting because it's so dry at the end. (363 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -24.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a rocks glass a auburn hue with brief white head. There is a floral hoppiness balanced by a decent amount of malt. The brew could be a little more substantial on the body side of things but is average. Too much malt for my expectation of a "hopdevil". I expect a lot from AIPAs as they are often synonymous with DIPAs. There is not a substantial level of hop character and what hop character is present is diminished by the malt content. The malt sweetness is a disappointment for me in this interpretation. (538 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -24.8%

I usually stay away from IPA beer but my friend had some of these so I thought to give it a try.

It poured a pale murky yellow with a nice head and decent retention. The smell was almost all citrusy hops and then the taste....not something I enjoyed. Almost no malt flavors just powerful lemon rind hop bitterness with a sharp dry to dehydrating finish. Very unbalanced, tasted like sucking on a hop pellet. I know this is an IPA but damn, just over the top and lacking any complexities. Anyone could over hop a beer and produce the same result. The mouthfeel was very crisp, loose and dry, about what I would expect for the style. I will praise this beer for its drinkability though. Despite its obnoxious hoppyness, it's surprisingly easy to drink and that is quite remarkable in itself.

This really wasn't an awful beer but like so many of this style it seems to have lost touch with what a beer really is, a malt beverage, hops should be used mainly for the preservative qualities and complement the malts. I guess I'll never understand the whole IPA hype. (1,062 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -24.8%

A: Pours a rich copper orange color with a tiny bit of sediment that makes it slightly hazy. Minimal khaki colored head that dies off pretty quick. Awesome small bubble lacing is left behind.

S: Mainly pine hops and a touch of biscuit malt. It does have an odd soapy/spice smell to it.

T: Lots of bitter pine hops, no citrus or fruity hop taste at all. A touch of bread malt. Again, I'm getting an odd soapy taste, even more so then the smell that is off putting. One dimensional, no depth of flavor.

M/D: Medium body with moderate carbonation. Other than that nothing special. Drinkability is average at best because of the soap factor. Not sure what is causing this...Its not old, best by date of August 8th, 2010. (719 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -24.8%

Yes!! Victory in Indiana!!! Pours a nice, shiny amber color with a short white head. Laces appropriately. Smells hoppy, but in a bit of lemon and cat-pee way. Somehwat sweet smelling too. Tastes hoppy and smooth, a nice green grass hop. Biscuity, bready malt backbone. Fusel alcohol on the finish. A bit surprising, as the flavors don't come together all that well. Bitterness lingers, along with a ghost of lemon juice. Medium bodied, a little heavy for the flavor. Well, I must say that im underwhelmed. It's ok, but its a lot messier of a beer than I prefer. Yeah, there are lots of hops, but its just not particularly balanced. Oh well, i know I love some of the other victory brews, so ill just wait for those to show up. (726 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -24.3%

It's a good looking beer, nice deep red-ish color. Aroma is ok, hints at the barroom skankiness I don't enjoy in some beers. Taste is unbalanced with bitter hops, not in a good way. Finish is long and bitter. Mouthfeel is decent but for the awful bitterness that rings there. Drinkability is low, since you can't really drink anything else after this burns up your taste buds. (376 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -24.3%

out for a happy hour with some co workers to celebrate a career move for a buddy. bottle poured a deep syrupy amber with a thin head. nose catches an almost barleywine smell of syrup. taste is of faded hops, but truth be told the barkeep presented this brew out of thin air when the beer I requested was out of stock so likely old, but no bottle date doesn't help the cause. more resembles a barley or old ipa, but that wasn't what I was looking for, so pretty mush just decent in my opinion, but not bad, but not something I will look for again. (546 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -24.3%

The devil pours a darker hue that most, the cream head rises nicely, then fails through the session. The smell is an explosion of hops, a weird hint of funky caramel tree, very mysterious taste, the hops while noticable didn't come across fresh and alive, the malts were light and downplayed. Very similar to locak IPA (Rat City) Not bad, but better locally brewed IPA's. (371 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -24.3%

I had this in bottles a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed. I figured I'd try it again while available on tap.

It's a bit dark in color for an IPA but I like it. The aroma is all business, nothing but hops. The taste is bitter but not an enjoyable bitter. A resiny, sharp, dirty, bitter. The Hop prescence is pronounced throughout the beer but I don't like it nearly as much as most IPA's. I love IPA's but this is downright funky. Their bittering hops must be high in the AA department, wow.

It's okay but I won't be ordering it again. There are much better options available. (586 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -24.3%

Another amber-coloured beer with reasonable head and lacing.

Odour is lemony, malty (should add that the first sniff made me think of really artificial lemon cordial). Again quite yeasty. Golden syrup.

Taste is smooth but nondescript malt. Bit of leafiness and bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium with medium carb. Not bad.

I don't know how this has less flavour than their Oktoberfest (consumed prior). Not bad but at this stage I expect quite a lot more from an American IPA. (477 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -24.1%

A- light lacing that sits on top like lily pads? Nice amber/golden color, slightly cloudy with no carbonation

S - sweet malt smell with a little hop smell

T - hops with a well balanced malt flavor, thinking they used a roasted sweet malt, was thinking there would be more of a citrusy hop, buy more of a bitter hop

M - little bit chewier than what I like, but not rough

D - probably will only have one of these, bit to chewy for me (445 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -23.8%

Pours orange/brown (too orange and light for me to call it an amber). Awfully clear. Tiny white head with very durable lacing.
Smells like cascades, man.
Tastes a bit like cascades, too. Pretty bitter at the back and end. A bite to that.
A fine brew. I'd like to see it come out more even on the tongue. The tangy aftertaste - all over the sides and back of the mouth - could probably be cut a bit with (gasp) a bit more sweetness to it. (440 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -23.8%

I'm just starting to get back into IPAs and this is one I probably won't be buying again. It's a pretty, fragrant, cleanly brewed hop water if you ask me. There is almost no balance to this thing whatsoever. It definitely has all the hops you could want, but I just get the feeling that I'm drinking some bitter, fermented dextrose. (332 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -23.6%

Nice color. Paints the glass in delicious looking amber, red and orange hues. About a finger on the head and it seems to be sticking around. Solid lacing. Some slow moving carbonation is visible too. About as appetizing looking a beer as I can remember. Seems a little darker than some other IPAs I've tried.

The sniffer likes this one. A good balance of pine, lemon and other citrus scents. A distinctly hoppy scent. Just a hint of spice too. Smells delicious.

Taste somehow seems really weak to me. I'm not getting much beyond a faint caramel flavor at the finish. Just a hint of pine spice in there too. Am I missing something? This doesn't seem right. It's not that it tastes bad, it just doesn't taste like much of anything. Quite a disappointment.

Extremely smooth and mellow mouthfeel. I was really surprised by that. A good balance of bitter and sweet. Not much finish though.

I can't help but feel I've missed something in the taste department. I have another bottle that I'll use as a comparison later and edit this if necessary, but there's just nothing there. Really disappointing. I really like the mouthfeel. It's surprising for an IPA, but is that enough to keep drinking these? I doubt it. (1,217 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -23.6%

Nice grassy hop nose with hints of citrys. But the hops overpower any other aromatics. I get no malt or yeast character through it. It's a pleasant smell, but I want more complexity.

Nice amber color with incredible clarity. A little rising carbonation with a big frothy head that fades quickly to a thin solid layer.

Flavor is powerfully hop bitter. Then comes a grassy hop flavor and then more hop aftertaste. It isn't until the long ligering effects of aftertaste that I can pick up some malt profile. Basically, this is a throw handfuls of hops in a batch beer. Which makes it not to my liking. There's more to beer than straight alpha acid.

Decent body with a nice carbonation level. So bitter though that it feels dry and a little astringent.

I'm not really impressed. For me this falls into the category of beers that have no finesse, only hops. Maybe with the right insanely spicy food this would work better but for straight drinking it is completely one dimenstional. (989 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -23.3%

Really sticky. Caramelly malts. Sweet hoppyness, with a dry hoppy finish??? piney lychee hops (and, yes, sticky), sharp and unbalanced hoppyness, i can't believe how boring it ended up being, considering the amount of flavour in it. Lots of flavour though, pretty tasty. (270 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Amber, a little hazy, with decent 2 finger head, moderate retention and lacing.

S - Lots of piney/earthy hops with citrus in the background. Slightly sweet malt aroma.

T - A quick burst of citrus hops loaded with floral components start the taste off, but it dies suddenly into a mouth-numbing bitterness. Mid and late palate are completely dominated by bitterness with no trace of malt character. This brew's only flavor is the early onset of hops.

M - Thin to medium and fairly carbonated. Pretty much like any IPA.

D - It's not undrinkable, but I doubt I'd ever session this stuff. It's virtually flavorless and dominated by a prolonged and unnecessary bitterness; it was a bit difficult for me to get though my one bottle. (784 characters)

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company