Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
beercatbrew

eulerthegrape

05-10-2013 15:43:34 | More by eulerthegrape
JoshuaJ

2.53/5  rDev -38%

Pours a clear, light copper color. Big head with zero lacing.

Smells weak, to be honest. Picking up some citrusy grapefruit, a touch of honey. Not much else.

Tastes...completely underwhelming. For a name like "HopDevil," I was expecting a massive hop bite. Not so, here. It's a lot more balanced than what I was expecting, but in this case, it's not a good thing. Weak, citrusy hops flavor meet weak, biscuity malts. Did someone fill half my bottle up with water?

Mouthfeel is thin. The beer finishes dry, which is nice, but it just feels an anorexic version of what everyone else has been reviewing.

Overall drinkibility suffers from the high expectations not being met in regards to the nose and taste, and the thin consistency. I suppose I'd have another if it was offered to me, but I won't be buying another.

Notes: The date on the bottle says to enjoy by 10/09, which I've obviously done, but I can't shake the feeling that something must have "off" with this batch. It's not been contaminated per se. Just extremely watery.

06-21-2009 14:04:46 | More by JoshuaJ
GreenWBush

Oregon

2.58/5  rDev -36.8%

I have pined for the opportunity to try this oft, and generally universally-lauded brew. I was afforded that opportunity at the Map Room, Chicago, Illinois.

This beer presents itself to me much darker than I had expected, an autumn-leaf red with a minimal skim. Just a few freckles of lace are observed clinging to the nonic pint as it disappears.

The nose of this beer again defies my anticipation; it is particularly faint, and not what i'd necessarily call 'hoppy'. The aroma is full of thin, bready malts and just the faintest impression of apple-like hop notes.

While this beer does carry a good amount of bitterness, I am surprised to find a very marginal amount of actual hop flavor. The malt is slightly sourdough-like and gets pummeled around by a thin, reedy and metallic bitterness. This one definetely sits on the 'dry' side of things, never really getting over that painful tea-like bitterness.

The mouthfeel of this beer is also particularly underwhelming. No real oiliness or powdery/pillowiness to speak of, just that incessant clanging bitterness and faint toasted malt. I jiggle the belly in hopes of producing a hop-burp, but nothing comes.

Perhaps my years of drinking West-coast minded IPAs has ruined my palate, but this wasn't even particularly pleasant to wade through. Again, i'd like to try this closer to the source so I can see if my plaguing negative impression of Victory beers has something to do with regional bias/freshness/transit, etc.

So far i'm 0/3 with Victory.

06-01-2006 20:19:57 | More by GreenWBush
rosmhuire

2.6/5  rDev -36.3%

I'm new to the craft beer world. Wine is my first passion. but since it's summertime, I've been drinking more beer and have been quite impressed with the quality of crafty beers out there (if only I didn't live on the upper east side of NYC, where you don't get much of a beer selection at the supermarkets and delis).

I was not a big fan of this beer - I enjoy IPA's, but this one seemed all hops and nothing else. I can see that this beer is very well reviewed on this site, but for my palate, it just didn't do the trick

09-02-2009 13:18:55 | More by rosmhuire
Jasel

2.63/5  rDev -35.5%

Not my kind of beer...but I'm not a huge IPA fan. Maybe it was skunked? Still learning.

Consumed with a pilsner glass.

Appearance - A great tannish, to dark brown. A 1 finger head, I don't know about lacing because I just couldn't drink it.

Smell - Decent traditional IPA smell, with some funk our sourness.

Taste - Metallic smell with a hops, hops, hops.

Mouthfeel - Fizzy with a harsh sourness that gave me shivers every time.

Drinkability - Could get past the first few sips let alone a whole beer.

02-25-2009 21:49:24 | More by Jasel
lechroy

2.65/5  rDev -35%

12 oz bottle poured into taster glass. A is a warm sunset Orange, opaque with a fair 2 finger head. S is nicely malty sweetness with caramel and Orange essence. T is too much. Heavily unbalanced and very bitter. Too much for my palette and I live IPA. M is decent. O is that this beer was going big and really comes over too strong and bitter. Could be better as a 8 abv beer with more malt shape.

UPDATE: Had this again on tap at Beer Revolution (OAK), and again it was a disappointment. Too much hype, not a tasty enough for me to ever recommend.

08-04-2011 02:29:32 | More by lechroy
bamadog

Kentucky

2.68/5  rDev -34.3%

Fries Cafe over in Cincinnati had this on tap the other night, so I thought I would give it a shot. Overall, Victory has only had a couple of beers that I feel are decent, and they tend to fall short for the most part. Review is from notes taken on 7/9/2010 and poured from the tap to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a solid and consistent coppery color; starts with a one finger off-white head that fades to a thin, but full, cap; body has decent clarity and shows light carbonation bubbling throughout.

Smell: Very, very faint. Bit of a musty grainy presence with a dusty hop scent, and that's it. Not impressed.

Taste: Mostly tall, dry and slightly musty graininess; a very faint, near dusty hoppiness (these flavors make me wonder if this just an old keg or something...); bit of a sugary/candy-like sweet maltiness in the end.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation in a light to medium body; a light and semi-dry stickiness lingers around on the palate, but mostly it's a moist finish.

Drinkability: Meh, I could take it or leave it... I would gladly give it another shot though if I was told that the keg was fresh and re-review this if needed.

07-10-2010 20:22:40 | More by bamadog
jujubeast6000

2.68/5  rDev -34.3%

Reviewed 2/10/2006 (12oz bottle):

Pours a dark brown color. Medium sized head, slightly off-white, diminishing. Strong aroma of hops, some malts. Bitter-sweet taste of hops, unnaturally bitter. Later taste - semi-sweet taste, clean finish. Not all that hoppy.

12-13-2008 05:39:26 | More by jujubeast6000
mikechance

2.7/5  rDev -33.8%

It has a nice rusty orange color and a little 1/3 - 1/4 inch head. I'm picking up a lot of malt and spice in the nose but nothing hoppy or any of the citrus you would expect from an IPA. A very malt dominated beer with very little of the hop characteristics I expect from an American IPA. Its medium bodied and has a little sour and acid aftertaste. This is much closer to an old ale style or brown ale than anything else. For something called HopDevil Ale I’m very disappointed.

08-01-2011 02:33:20 | More by mikechance
palma

2.73/5  rDev -33.1%

I honestly gave this beer a few chances before I reviewed it. Now I'm convinced. This beer is just not that good overall, and definitely not a good IPA. I have no idea why this beer is rated so high. Amber body with not much of a head. Nice sweet hoppy aroma with some citrus that even my gf liked. Taste is a different story though. Is this a marco pale ale Im drinking? Where the hell is the flavor? It tastes so stale and bland in my opinion. Watered down. Dead hop flavor. I need some hops here. They call this beer HopDevil? I call that false advertising.

02-09-2005 06:45:14 | More by palma
doubledteague

2.75/5  rDev -32.6%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A- Beautiful amber color, but unlike other review I hac very very little head that dissipated very quickly.

S- Very hoppy, piney, and a slight hint of citrus.

T- BOOM!!! Hit hard with the hops, and pines, never got the citrus.

M- Very very dry. Heavy carbonation, or maybe thats just the hops.

O- Im a little unsure. Its good for an IPA, but I think its a little too heavy on the hops for my own personal taste. Just my opinion though.

Tasted and Reviewed 1945-2015 10/31/11