Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,453 | Hads: 6,975
3.11/5  rDev -23.6%

Nice grassy hop nose with hints of citrys. But the hops overpower any other aromatics. I get no malt or yeast character through it. It's a pleasant smell, but I want more complexity.

Nice amber color with incredible clarity. A little rising carbonation with a big frothy head that fades quickly to a thin solid layer.

Flavor is powerfully hop bitter. Then comes a grassy hop flavor and then more hop aftertaste. It isn't until the long ligering effects of aftertaste that I can pick up some malt profile. Basically, this is a throw handfuls of hops in a batch beer. Which makes it not to my liking. There's more to beer than straight alpha acid.

Decent body with a nice carbonation level. So bitter though that it feels dry and a little astringent.

I'm not really impressed. For me this falls into the category of beers that have no finesse, only hops. Maybe with the right insanely spicy food this would work better but for straight drinking it is completely one dimenstional.

3.12/5  rDev -23.3%

Really sticky. Caramelly malts. Sweet hoppyness, with a dry hoppy finish??? piney lychee hops (and, yes, sticky), sharp and unbalanced hoppyness, i can't believe how boring it ended up being, considering the amount of flavour in it. Lots of flavour though, pretty tasty.

3.12/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Amber, a little hazy, with decent 2 finger head, moderate retention and lacing.

S - Lots of piney/earthy hops with citrus in the background. Slightly sweet malt aroma.

T - A quick burst of citrus hops loaded with floral components start the taste off, but it dies suddenly into a mouth-numbing bitterness. Mid and late palate are completely dominated by bitterness with no trace of malt character. This brew's only flavor is the early onset of hops.

M - Thin to medium and fairly carbonated. Pretty much like any IPA.

D - It's not undrinkable, but I doubt I'd ever session this stuff. It's virtually flavorless and dominated by a prolonged and unnecessary bitterness; it was a bit difficult for me to get though my one bottle.

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

appearance - orange-amber. pretty standard for this type

taste - bitter hops, and....bitter hops. not much in the way of balance, and the hops themselves dont taste particularly high quality either..tastes almost sour. not very impressive, it just doesnt taste right to me.

mouthfeel - sour, bitter oil, not very pleasing

drinkability - i couldnt finish any of the bottles i tried. arrogant bastard is bitter, intense hoppy but tastes quality, this one to me is like a 'mcdonalds IPA' if they were to make one. ive read good things about Victory, hopefully some of their other offerings are better. throw me a miller high life any day over this one.

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

This beer was a little to heavy for my personbal taste. It was also a bit too bitter because of the heavy level of hops in it. It finished somewhat clean but definately(to me) tasted better colder. I will be very honest, I only ordered it because it had an awesome looking bottle. I would just rather drink a differnt IPA stlye beer, so I consider thios one just "average"

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Appearance: Darker golden brown, indiciative of it's malty taste.
Smell: malt and hops..More malty.
Taste: could include more hops.
mouthfeel: very full
Overall; better ipas out there in price range..more
of an "east coast ipa".I prefer west coast style.

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

Clear red amber with big foamy brown head with okay retention and spotty lacing. Peppery lager aroma. Super spicy hop front evened out nicely but quickly to malt sweetness. Light pepper linger and a hint of European hops. Smooth, even mouthfeel.

Good peppery flavor in this one, balanced and tasty. It’s mostly one dimensional that’s a good easy drinker. Without a big hop character or any outstanding flavor it’s a well-crafted good IPA. I would like to try fresh whenever possible.
Enjoy by June 2011 on the bottle

3.14/5  rDev -22.9%

pours a pretty amber, with almost no head. the smell is my favorite thing about this beer. hoppy/herbal sweet-citrus, tea and grass. smells great, no joke. now, i'm not sure why i'm not as into this as much as other beer heads. maybe cause of how wet it tastes, it has a syrupy mouth feel after sips, i don't really dig that. i like the first hit of hops, but i like my ipas dry. this one ends so wet and malty. also the fatty mid-pallet, (i feel), gets drowned out with the sour syrupy finish.

12oz bottle with freshness date

App: Dark amber, chesnut brown. 2 finger off-white head

Smell: Mostly north american hops. Half floral half dense fruit. Perhaps a bit of citrus.

Taste: Starts with a bitterness. Perhaps a light toasty malt flavor peeks out once in a while, but this beer is dominated by hoppy bitterness. Ends with a pleasant lingering bitterness. Overall, a pleasing bitterness, but not a memorable flavor.

Full feeling medium body.

3.16/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Aroma--earthy aroma, almost a moxie to it but not revolting. Appearance---pale, golden clear river of loveliness Taste---harden-up, turn your head and swallow. heavy bitterness. Palate---medium body, thick texture, fizzy with a somewhat bitter start and finish though i want more... Overall...i have taste tested worse...i have tested better...middle of the road and a good standby

3.16/5  rDev -22.4%

Hop Devil pours a wonderful red-tinged-orange, with a sticky white head with decent lacing.

The nose is much heavier on the malt than I initially expected with roasty and carmel notes dominate and then relinquish a small amount of citrusy hops.

On the first taste I experience kind of what the nose was whispering to my ears, sweet grain bill and a uniform bitter from the hops but nowhere near the character I expect from that style.

The carbonation is decent and ties things together but overall not an epiphany kind of beer.

I should have had a more level head going into this review, but from the small amount of hype surrounding this beer I had my hopes set on hops. I recommend picking up a loose 12oz bottle from you local grocer as an entire sixer of this stuff will put a dent in your wallet.

3.16/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Appears a slightly hazy orange red, looking pretty much exactly like tree sap. Head is fluffy and a bit off-white, with below average retention and inconsistent lacing around the glass.

Smells tropical at first, with pineapple and mango coming to mind, and then leads to an overripe sticky fruit sugar smell. An herbal dry bitterness lurks in the background, and while it doesn't go particularly well with the tropical forefront, it is something different and nice nonetheless.

Taste changes gears a bit, as the front is quite a bit more bitter than expected, and is composed partially of citrusy rind. The malt stickiness detected in the nose doesn't really come out to play at all in this beer. The tropical flavors are very subdued on the tongue, and the herbal, leafy hop oils dominate overall. I don't particularly like the character of the herbal notes for the hops in this case, as I find them a bit harsh and unbalanced, but I can appreciate how well their specific taste has been brought out. I would have liked a bit more malt character from this though. It isn't so much a "too bitter" situation as it is an unpleasant bitter situation. Citrus comes out near the end again under the tongue, sour orange in particular, which is a nice saving grace. However, the utter lack of flavors behind the hoppy bitterness is a real letdown, as I was expecting so very much more.

Mouthfeel is very good, with the beer flowing easily and staying crisp and refreshing the whole way through. The drinkability is helped by the dry nature of the finish, but hurt by the lack of balance in the beer. Abv of 6.7% is respectable for the strength of flavors in the beer, but in this case I think those flavors just aren't compatible with my palate.

3.17/5  rDev -22.1%

On-tap at Ed's (No Name) Bar

A: Pours a copper body with a one-finger slightly off-white head. The head has decent retention but only lacing from the head initial dissipation.

S: Smells very strong of hops with grapefruit peel and some caramel malt character.

T: Wow, very heavy on the hops. There's a strong hop character that gives way to a small amount of malty caramel which turns again into a sharp grapefruit peel finish with a bitter sting. It's not that I dislike a hoppy IPA, I actually usually love some of the unbalanced ones. For the Hopdevil it was just the flavor of the hops that I dislikeed.

Overall: Good mouthfeel, well carbonated with a bit of oiliness. Drinkability is a bit down for me due to the overwhelming unpleasant hop flavor which I personally found to be unappealing.

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

A two-finger tan head tops off a honey brown brew. Head fades slowly leaving some crooked lacing all around the glass. Citrusy hops rise to the nose, but not as striking as I would have imagined with a name like "Hopdevil". Behind the hop start is some tea, orange peel, sour grapes and sweet bread. The hoppiness is kept in check by a certain malty sweetness that makes it go down somewhat smoother than expected. Carbonation is adequate in this medium-bodied brew.

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

After reading other reviews, it strikes me that many people were highly impressed by this beer, and I thought it was rather lackluster. Perhaps my bottle was bad? But it was definitely within the best by date and did not at all taste/feel like there was anything wrong... it just tasted plain.

Dark copper brown with thick creamy tan head and nice lacing.

Smell of sweet hoppiness, not very powerful.

Almost no malt profile cam through, and the hop was very light and just slightly bitter.

Light body with light carbonation.

This beer was delicate I would say. Not what I am used to in any IPA. Not overly impressed, I won't go out of my way to pick this up again.

is there something wrong with my tongue?

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

A: Light Amber color with a white head that left alright lacing. Carbonation was slight but one could still see the bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass.

S: A Floral hops aroma was apparent in this beer. However, I was able to smell some fruity maltiness to it which was akin to the smell of green apples.

T: Very similar to the aroma. It had a nice floral hops flavor that opened to an almost citrus taste. However, behind it was a nice malt backbone that tasted like apples.

M: Light to medium body. Nice and refreshing for a hot summer day like we where having in Cincinnati last week.

D: While not my favorite IPA I've had it's not bad by any bet. It was nice to have but I don't think I would buy this one over and over again.

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Appearance: Goldish brown body. Thick creamy head that slowly fades. Good lacing overall.

Aroma: Lots of citrus and grapefruit aroma, a little pine and hops.

Taste: Starts sweet , followed by a biting hoppy bitterness. Not was I was hoping for, but pretty decent.

Mouthfeel: Not as smooth as I hoped for this brewer Good carbonation. Somewhat bitter with citrus overtones.

Overall, a decent IPA for the price ($8.49 a sixer). I prefer more balanced IPAs with decent hoppiness, but still pretty good overall.

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

A nice looking beer. Robust amber color with thin white head.

Aroma and flavor just hops and not much else. I'll admit IPA's aren't really my thing so it's hard to accurately rate this beer. I guess it's well crafted for what it is.

Mouthfeel is smooth to start, with a biting hop finish.

Overall impression.... eh.

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Pours a clear amber with little head. Aroma of bright hops and a little soap.

Taste is a mild hoppy bitterness with more soapy flavors. Light amber malt, more gentle bitterness arises as you work your way through the glass. A nice spicy blend, some cinnamon and Red Hots elements hidden among the hops.

Mouthfeel is light and clean, finishes well without turning too bitter. Lies somewhere between a pale ale and a DFH 60 Minute. Bottle is a lot cleaner than the tap serving. Nice for a change but I'd be pressed to have too many.

3.19/5  rDev -21.6%

12 oz. bottle served in a pilsner glass. Best by March 13, 2012.

A: Pours a solid amber color one fluffy off white head forming on the pour. The head sticks around for quite some time and leaves nice sticky webbings of lace.

S: The smell is very caramel malt based with some pine and light citrus fruits popping up in there.

T: The taste is dominated by a sweet bready and toffee malt with some minimal piney notes as well light citrus mingling in there. There is a touch of some floral nights that do brighten it up a bit, but still not enough.

M: The mouthfeel is solid, a tad on the lighter side. The body has tons of lively carbonation to it. The taste has some decent linger to it, but it's nothing special.

O: Typical malt forward East Coast IPA. A solid beer, but pretty average for the style. Nothing really makes it stand apart from the solid malt base and light hop variations.

3.2/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours a medium amber with one finger off white head and nice lacing. Aroma is crazy hops. Taste is piny earthy oily hops. I do not detect much if any citrus at all. Aggressively bitter with no balance. Mouthfeel is on the painful side of bitter. Not very drinkable at all. This one was very disappointing after the high ratings. No subtlety at all and not nearly as drinkable as many other IPAs. If you want crazy hops and bitters with little balance, this one's for you.

3.22/5  rDev -20.9%

Pours a copper color with a one and a half finger head. The smell is of hops, piney and earthy hops. The scent of hops is almost overwhelming. The taste is a very strong hops the hop taste is more earthy piney hops as opposed to citrus hops. The mouthfeel is dry with little carbonation. Drinkability wise if you really like IPA's you would like this beer. If you are new to IPA's then this ipa isn't for you.

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

The drink had a red-dark amber appearance with a thin head. Although the appearance made it tantalizing, the rest of the drink was a bit average. Its faint hop smell had some sweets to it, but lacked any spectacular features. The taste was somewhat thin but the aftertaste had a good bitter-sweet balancing going for it. This IPA also had a low-medium body to it, making it not as carbonated as I hoped. Overall it was decent and not overpowering, but that also hindered it from being great.

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

Hopdevil pours a transparent orange-copper. There is a thin white foamy head.

The scent is fresh grass and grainy. There is also a distinct citrus note.

As far as taste goes this brew lives up to its name. There is plenty of bitterness to go around. There isn't a whole lot as far as malt goes with this one, you know you're drinking an IPA. This beer is medium bodied. The alcohol warms the mouth and leaves a tingling for quite some time. It goes down about as easily as any other beer of comparable style and abv.

I don't know why but I was not impressed by this beer. Being an IPA lover I was encouraged by other reviews and very excited to try this. I don't know if I got a bad batch (I know it was fresh, there is a date and it was in the cooler) or if this one just doesn't suit my fancy. I do plan on giving this beer another shot in the future.

3.24/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours a nice stable one and a half finger, white head which slowly fades to a solid cap that sticks to the edge if the glass to the end. It has a nice clear dark orange/red color. Smells very faintly of citrus hops and mildly sweet. Tastes of sweet with a citrus twinge, that finishes medium dry. Then some sort of funny after taste comes on, can't figure this one out. Not very drinkable for me. I didn't finish it. But I did like the " drink by ######" on the bottle.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company