Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros

2.76/5  rDev -32.2%

2.76/5  rDev -32.2%

Disappointed. Will not buy again.

2.78/5  rDev -31.7%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A- Beautiful amber color, but unlike other review I hac very very little head that dissipated very quickly.

S- Very hoppy, piney, and a slight hint of citrus.

T- BOOM!!! Hit hard with the hops, and pines, never got the citrus.

M- Very very dry. Heavy carbonation, or maybe thats just the hops.

O- Im a little unsure. Its good for an IPA, but I think its a little too heavy on the hops for my own personal taste. Just my opinion though.

Tasted and Reviewed 1945-2015 10/31/11

2.79/5  rDev -31.4%

The smell is difficult for me....it smelled well....pukey. The Devil come strong with the hop and then leaves the palate dry and with a sour finish. The alcohol content with the hops makes it bitter, but not to bitter for this guy. It would be a tough session beer, but if on a dare I would go for it!

2.79/5  rDev -31.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. The beer poured out a very clear, dark
copper color with an off-white 1/4 inch head. The aroma was
dissapointing.I was expecting a strong hop scent. Instead this beer
has a very light, barely noticeable hop aroma. More floral than citrus.
Also a very, very light malt scent.

The taste was pretty much just hops. It was a bitter taste - which I
usually enjoy. But this one was fairly uninteresting. Like one strong
bitter flavor - not a mix of flavors.

The mouthfeel was light-to-medium with a bitter, dry finish. The
drinkability was good. The first glass was enjoyable. The bitterness
would probably limit me to two in one sitting.

2.8/5  rDev -31.2%

A: clear amber, no visible carbonation, a brief and nearly non-existent head and no lacing.

S: sweet floral hops, roasted malt, a little funk. It actually smells a little bit like dog food, not sure what that means...

T: a little malt sweetness up front then a kind of generic hop taste, a little stale even. Super strong, dry, bitter finish. Kind of makes me go "ackkk." I have a taste in the back of my throat the tastes like bile.

M: very low carbonation, medium but almost syrupy body. A finish that is dry as a desert.

D: this made me a little sick. It's got a bitter finish that I just can't shake.

2.81/5  rDev -31%

Had I reviewed this before joining BA, it would most assuredly end up 4+. Having had it last night, however, I'm relatively disappointed. In fairness, I may be teetering on "snob" instead of "advocate" because few things really wow me anymore.

The beer looks good, as it's a hazy bronze. Head coulda lasted a little longer (almost always, I know). Smell ain't even close to what I consider hoppy anymore. I bought a sixer yesterday at Lowes OIB, and as soon as I smelled my first one, I thought "of fuck, another malt bomb!" :-(

Unfortunately, my taste buds confirm my suspicions. I really used to enjoy this beer--long before I got into locals--so this experience is a real-life experience in disappointing realism and the apathy of nature. Only because I used to enjoy this beer do I not rate it lower.

It's malty--feels like it, tastes like it, etc. It's just a disappointment--where are the yummy, citrusy hops to which I've become accustomed? This malt bomb is no hop devil! To hell with this devil!!

2.82/5  rDev -30.7%

I honestly gave this beer a few chances before I reviewed it. Now I'm convinced. This beer is just not that good overall, and definitely not a good IPA. I have no idea why this beer is rated so high. Amber body with not much of a head. Nice sweet hoppy aroma with some citrus that even my gf liked. Taste is a different story though. Is this a marco pale ale Im drinking? Where the hell is the flavor? It tastes so stale and bland in my opinion. Watered down. Dead hop flavor. I need some hops here. They call this beer HopDevil? I call that false advertising.

2.83/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, dark-amber in color, clear, moderate carbonation

Smell: citrus hops and a bit of caramel

Taste: citrus and pine hops with a touch of caramel--once this one warms though all I can taste are IBUs

Mouthfeel: medium-high carbonation, medium bodied, sweet start with a bitter back and finish--once I ate food this became super bitter

Overall: Before food, this was fine..After food--just a big hoppy IBU monster. A must do for hopheads, but one I could not finish. I appreciate the veracity of the hops, but I wanted something just a bit less bitter.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company