Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,446 | Hads: 6,931
4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served nitro on tap. Clear and orangish red with a creamy white head. Citrus hop aroma, very pleasant. Hops explode in the taste, good blend of bitterness and a hint of malt. Very smooth (with the nitro) and a great texture. Very enjoyable. (240 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

No matter how many amazing, hop-heavy beers I try, I will always remember that this is the one that put me on the IPA train. Love this beer, will always be one of my favorites. (176 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A very malt forward IPA with a hazey copper color and fragrant, almost perfumey hop smell. Little head retention. Overall, good beer. Definitely not outstanding but good. (170 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As a hop head it crazy that I have not tried this brew! What a nice surprise. Poured out of a bottle a nice amberish color with little head. Smell was floral with apricot, slight banana, and pine. Taste was a blast of hops! It dissipates giving way to a citrus and apricot hint and finishing with just a hint of pine. The hoppy taste lingers for a bit after the finish. A must try for hop heads! (395 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I was disappointed with this beer but it may not have been very fresh. It's not very fragrant - smell is grainy and slightly sweet. Taste is solid but not overly impressive. Definitely malt forward. Really nice dark amber color. yb (231 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a copper color, decent head and good lace retention.
The hops hit the nose right away. This is followed by a nice biscuity malt aroma with a hint of alcohol.
Incredibly hoppy taste, bitter, piny and resiny. The malt presence is slightly felt in the background. Dry, hoppy, bitter and resin like finish that leaves a lingering aftertaste. Full mouthfeel. Creamy and smooth. (378 characters)

L- Orange

S- apricot, peach, citrus

T- Apricot and peach, some spicy flavor, and a piney finish.

F- good body and carbonation.

O- really good! (150 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I don't like hops, but this was okay. Strong hop taste, obviously, but drinkable for me. Not overly bitter, and somewhat balanced. Some hints of malts. Nice looking beer with a nice one finger head. Leaves plenty of lacing. Decent mouthfeel; maybe a bit thin. (265 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

330ml bottle, poured into tester glass.

A: Bronze, clear, medium disappearing had, left some lacing.

S: Pine, orange, malts, zest.

T: Slightly sour apples, hint of charcoal, fruity but initially it didn’t have vast amounts of bitterness. Finished with a hit of wheat and eventually there was some bitterness which lingered, the malt to IBU balance was slightly on favour of the malt.

M: Light to medium body, not too much carbonation.

O: Good but not memorable, would get buried under the all the good east coast IPAs. (529 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very good IPA. I have been wanting to try this one and I'm glad I got the chance. Not a citrus flavor. Nice and bitter but well balanced. Very good selection. (158 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Dogfish Head IPA glass.

A - 4.25 - Pours a nice caramel orange color. Forms about a finger of lightly yellowed white head. Medium head potential and retention. Spotty lacing.
S - 3.5 - Nothing too wild here. VERY light hop aroma, a touch of spice and a strong herbal note.
T - 3.25 - A little on the weak side for me. Very lightly sweet arrival which quickly fades into a quite weak bitter hop ending.
F - 4 - Good smooth and decently oily mouthfeel.
O - 3.5 - This is what I call a food pairing beer and a shower beer. This would make a fine transitional brew for beginners, but experienced IPA drinkers may find this a bit weak due to its lack of bitterness and other flavors. A decent little session IPA, but nothing to write home about. (757 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Opaque deep auburn draft pour with off white head. Hops and a whisper of citrus. Bitter (in a good way) hops up front. Medium lite mouthfeel-nice hoppy tongue coating. A definite go to. (185 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

The only drinkable IPA style beer in my humble opinion. I'm not a big fan of the style personally, so I'm already biased against it, but I find this one lacks the sour milk aftertaste that ruins most IPAs for me. This has a strong, crisp, grapefruity bitterness balanced with a nice malty sweetness. It is like Victory's Prima Pils but with a much more intense hoppy bitterness. I don't know if I'd go out of my way to buy this number again, but I do like it. (459 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This may be THE classic American IPA (at least for us East Coasters). Big hops in your nose and rolling across your tongue, but a nice malty backbone to support it. It's closing in on 20 years since I drank my first bottle of Hop Devil and crowned it the best India Pale Ale I'd ever had, and it remains one of my favorite IPAs still today. (340 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%

another excellent Victory, golden amber, creamy tan head, nice nose but not as pronounced as I would expect. More hoppy flavor than aroma and very smooth as far as IPAs go. (173 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A classic. Always have some at my house for guests. Had it on nitro at Victory as well, but it took away the great hoppy flavor that is so characteristic of this amazing beer. Really one of the beers that started it all. (223 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Long overdue on this one as I've had several time. Poured into a Belgian Ale glass to reveal a very consistent golden color. Light on the smell but big on the hop taste. Goes down smooth to leave you wanting for more. A great beer when you are drinking more than one...two...etc. (279 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Lovely deep copper in color, brilliantly clear. Pours a nice tight white head with good retention.

Nice slightly sweet hoppy aroma with a bit of mango and pine. Hop aroma a bit subdued, but may be sampling this beer at too cold of a temperature.

Nice maltiness up front is immediately balanced by a lovely nutty hop flavor. Hop flavors more pine than fruit, and has a nice bitterness all the way through. No harsh bitterness break on the back end. Bitterness and overall hop flavors are well done.

Medium body and carbonation, no astringency or harshness from the hops. Maybe a very slight alcohol warming.

Super drinkable for a hoppy IPA. Not overpowering despite being intensely hoppy and quite bitter. Sufficient malt from which to hang the hops. I suddenly have a new contender for my favorite American IPA. (826 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Excellent Beer and priced right. My go to IPA. Their Dirt Wolf is amazing as well. Victory is a great brewery. Love a good IPA and this is one of the best. (155 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice amber color with an off white half inch head. Plenty of lacing left behind as I drank the glass down.
From the second I opened the bottle you could smell the pine. A very hop forward smell.
Very balanced taste that left just a slight aftertaste.
Could drink this beer all day as it is very tasty. In my mind this is a perfect IPA. (340 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Clear orange with a nice thick head.
S - Piney, malty with a little citrus.
T - Taste follows the nose with maybe a little orange.
M - Medium mouth feel and medium carbonation.
O - Very drinkable beer. Not over the top like some West Coast IPA's. Very solid, I can see why this is the go-to IPA for some drinkers. (320 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Look: Lovely bright clear amber with two fingers of white head that settle to a film with minor lacing.

Smell: piney and citrus hops

Taste: Fairly traditional American IPA palate with strong caramelly malt sweetness that nearly balances the strong piney lemon tangerine hops. Lingering bitterness on the tongue.

Feel: Light to medium body and smooth mouthfeel.

Overall: A well-crafted traditional IPA. However, the sweetness approaches excessive for my taste, and the hops while good are nothing to rave about. Although it would have stood out on the shelves 10 or 15 years ago, there are enough interesting alternatives out there now that I don't see myself returning to the Hop Devil. (692 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Nice orange color. Pale head, off-white/tan. Beer looks filtered.

Very nice bouquet of apricots, orange, peach.

Mouthfeel has some nice richness.

Flavor is solid, foursquare. Hops, mostly. Hint of peaches.

Deep but not intense bitter notes on the finish. Almost cocoa, but not a hint of sweetness. (302 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Decent IPA. I was expecting the hops to be more distinctive in this beer, but it was more or less an average IPA. I guess the name of the beer had me expecting more, so in that sense I'm a bit disappointed... But not a bad IPA nonetheless (238 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer makes me very hoppy. The first one I grab at the bottle bar {Fishtown Pa.} after a marathon. One of my faves. I put this ahead of Dirtwolf, nice color and fragrance and flavor. My favorite rating on BA so far. (219 characters)

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company