Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

a: deep dark orangish color with about a three quarter inch head that dissapeared rather slowly leaving a lot of sticky lacing a very inviting appearance
s: the bitter hop aroma is very nice, i cant pick out one specific aroma, slight malt backbone that surprisingly balances out the beer very nicely, however this one is dominated by the hop profile
t: initially this one is very bitter and certainly very nice, a slight malt backbone comes after the initial hop blast but then gives way to another hop blast, the flavor in this is phenominal, with each taste i notice a new hop induced flavor--grassy, mossy, piny, etc
m: medium bodied beer with a good amount of carbonation

overall, wow this beer is truly a gem very nice

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

This is only the 3rd IPA I've tried so I'm no expert on the style and seeing as how I had liked the other 2 IPAs I had tried I thought I would give this one a shot. The hops is powerful up front and it moves to a citric taste of sorts, but the hops is a devil and I guess for my pallette so far it's just a bit overpowering.

Trying to keep in mind the style that the brewer was going for I'd have to say they achieved it. It's a good IPA and probably a stand out for the style but not up to what I'm ready for and I found it to be a little hard to handle.

I put my scores the way I did to reflect it's keeping with the style not my own personal tastes but I would say I'm not planning on revisiting this particular beer until I've had some more IPA experience and think I'm ready for a hoppier product

3.1/5  rDev -23.8%

This beer was a little to heavy for my personbal taste. It was also a bit too bitter because of the heavy level of hops in it. It finished somewhat clean but definately(to me) tasted better colder. I will be very honest, I only ordered it because it had an awesome looking bottle. I would just rather drink a differnt IPA stlye beer, so I consider thios one just "average"

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Copper color, quarter inch of beige head, lots of finely textured lace.

Smells of sweet doughy and honeyish malt, custard, tropical fruit - papaya and pineapple, citrus and pine hops. Appetizing.

Tastes of toasty, singed malt, with a good dose of hop flavor and bitterness - citrus, pineapple, pine. A bit of very well balanced sweetness. Clean, cohesive, tasty.

Smooth mouthfeel with a bit of slick stickiness, very drinkable.

Excellent IPA, on the toasty side.

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

A - Copper-Reddish in color that was completly hazy. Aout half a finger head with a near full pour into my Arcadia tulip glass. Head stayed around for a little bit but dissapated quickly leaving nice lacing about halfway through.

S - Smelled of Centennial/Cascade hops, citrus, and caramel malt.

T - Bitter, with a nice citrus/acidic flavor. Malt was present, gave the beer a good body that complimented the hops well. The aftertaste was of citrus, like a tangerine, with some floral hints and of course hops.

M - Nice crisp full body. The beer felt somewhat heavy for an IPA but was a nice change of pace, I think the haze of the beer made it feel more like a heff in my mouth but still had the refreshing attributes I look for in an IPA.

D - I could deffinetly drink this again. I would like to try it on tap sometime to compare the difference between my bottle and draft (or cask).

My bottle had a "drink by" date of Oct 20 2007. No information as to the bottling date. A tulip did not seem to be the proper glass for this beer, but its all I had.

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

A pint glass hand-pulled at the brewery in Downingtown, PA.

A: The ale is a brilliant amber color, the color that all good beer should aspire to, dark and mysterious but light enough to allow you to peer through it as you ponder its greatness. Capping off this magnificence is a billowy white head, full of dense bubbles that lasts nicely through the pint.

S: The nose has the big bite of HopDevil mixed with a creamy maltiness. The hops are still big and bold though, make no mistake about it.

T: The taste nicely combines the big hops with a subtlety that comes from the cask. The hop body is still big and American, grapefruit with an earthy undertone, but it was relaxed a bit, taking on a softer more concentrated body. The creamy head atop the beer is a sweetness that matches the grainy biscuit body nicely. The hops deliver a long biting finish that remains bitter long after the sip is a memory.

M: The cask has smoothed out the beer, mellowing the hops and accentuating the malts. The effect is a great drink, smooth and bitter.

D: HopDevil on cask was a revelation, robust and delicious. If you love HopDevil from a bottle, you'll flip for the cask.

4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

oh my...

pours a lovely medium reddish amber. head can be well developed but only if you pour properly, and lace really sticks around.

there's this aroma of fresh fruit or flowers, but also a sweet malt background.

the carbonation gives a smooth mouthfeel, almost silky when swallowed.

the taste - oh, how do i describe it!?? the main thing i have been impressed by, every time i've been drinking it, is how balanced the hops are with the malt, even though the hops are very prominent. they play off each other really well. i've had this with spicy sichuan chinese, an italian ciabatta/prosciutto sandwich, danish blue cheese, salt&vinegar potato chips, burritos, etc. everything seemed to go great with it, lol

i know some hopheads have been slightly disappointed, since there is "hop" in the name, after all. but hey, this is "just" an IPA! nowadays, i think a hophead has to go for the double-IPA's instead, in order to get their fix, no?

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

PresentatioN: 12 oz brown bottle, BBD of Aug 5, 2007 printed on the label (about 10 days late, whoops), poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a hazy bronze color, small carbonation bubbles rising inside. The head formed about one finger thick and retained nicely.

Aroma: The hops dominate nicely, in the background lurk some sweet and bready malts too. Very enticing.

Taste: As one would expect with a name like this, the hops dominate from beginning to end. At the start it's more floral with some citrus in the background. A malty sweetness is there as well. Towards the middle and end, the hoppiness becomes more citrus and bitter, and by the finish it's mostly grapefruit, a little spicy too. The sweet malt taste lingers a little before getting pushed out of the way by the hops.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy, medium to full body. The carbonation balanced very nicely.

Overall: Excellent! Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys hoppy IPAs or even double IPAs.

Living up to its name, this beer is all about the hops. But it does have a gentle balance to it. It pours a deep copper color with a thin white head. Aroma is fruity and flowery, with hints of syrup and citrus.

The flavor is a blast of American hops, oily to the taste and dry to the finish. But there's also a substantial malt presence to this brew which balances it out nicely. A nice molasses flavor cuts into the bitterness with some force. Mouthfeel is very dry in the finish. This beer is a bit filling, but tasty enough not to let that slow you down. Overall a very good IPA from Victory. Can't wait to try the Wallop.

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tasted on-tap last night at Thinking Man Tavern. Very bright, reddish looking ale with a nice frothy 2 fingers of head. Aroma of faint hops, more malt. Perhaps English? Taste was good, mild hops for a beer named HopDevil. A bit restrained for my liking. Pretty malty...reminded me of a Bass on some hormones. Dry-hop finish. My wife liked it more than me.

I have had this beer a few times in the bottle and was not impressed. Last night proved to me that I am not a fan. The beer was not terrible, by any means.

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%

Ive had this beer countless times out of the bottle and had it two times from a cask.
4 pumps from the hand tap and the beer was in all of its amber glory.The awesome smell of hop,mabey cascades,the smell is more potent in the cask then bottle IMO.The head stood there for a minute of so,the beer was oh so creamy and at perfect temp. The malt was perfect complimenting the hops.This beer is no way over the top but it is a awesome interpitation of the style and im glad that It is a year round beer.The only fault to the beer is its abv. it will hit ya after a couple.The hops tasted so vibrant then the malt came in to knock them down a bit.A all around great beer.

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Drank this from a 12 oz bottle with a best-by date of October 25, 2007. Pours a hazy copper with a slim, foamy white head. Good retention; leaves a rim of foam around the edge of the glass. Smells of caramel and fresh, crisp hops. Some citrus aromas, like orange. Taste begins with piny hops, then centers on the sweet caramel, then finishes cleanly with the hops again. Light, fizzy carbonation on the front of the tongue; complements flavors well. Overall, this is a well-balanced IPA, wonderful for drinking. Not one of the extreme IPAs for hopheads, but still a great example of the style anyway.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Able to snag a single of this at Kenny Road market.

A: Pours a beautifully deep burnished amber wtih a nice rocky head-impressive to look at.

S: Plenty of citrusy hops in the nose, no surprise about that. What is interesting is how clean it smells.

T: Starts off very smooth and creamy, almost easy-drinking, but then the bite of the hops kicks in, very nice and complex. Enough soft malts to keep everything in balance.

M: Quite creamy for an IPA, plenty of body here.

D: This is one nice IPA, glad it is easily available in central Ohio. Score another for Victory!

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

12 oz. bottle best by Nov 05 07.

Pours a beautiful golden amber with just under a finger of white head and minimal lacing. Floral, piney, and earthy hops dominate the aroma but there is just the merest hint of malt sweetness in the background. Taste is dominated by floral and piney hops with a level of bitterness that is high without being overwhelming. At the finish I am able to detect just a bit of malt sweetness that balances this brew out quite nicely. Good lingering hop flavor and bitterness. Mouthfeel is good, medium body, low to moderate carbonation with a nice oily-slickness at the finish. Great hop flavor and drinkability.

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

Finally got around to tasting a Victory brew. I picked up the mixed 12 pack, "Taste Victory". So, this is my first tasting with the others to follow in the next few days.

A: Reddish amber, hazy with a decent tan head to start but diminished shortly thereafter

S: caramel, citrus. Smelled like an IPA should

T: hops certainly, but not overpowering

M: smooth, medium bodied with little carbonation. Pleasing hoppy bitterness.

D: Quite drinkable. I believe I'll have another.

Poured into a pint glass with vigor. A great representation of an IPA. Certainly a session beer for the hot summer months.

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

The aroma of oranges and caramel was different than what I usually smell had me intrigued right off the bat. Neither of them overpowering the other like they are in some kind of perfect harmony. I found the darkish orange color of it interesting too. Yeah, such a shade is expected in an IPA but there is something a little more eye catching about it here.
It's bitter but not that way too much pucker, the taste of lemon peel and caramel letting it go down smooth. The hops linger leaving a nice little twang in the mouth once it's down the throat but not anything shouting too loud "I'm 6.7% abv" the way a bunch of others do. Nice medium body...not too fizzy nor too oily. The only complain I have is the name Hop Devil itself. After all it's got a hop bud fancied as a devil's face on the label. Off the name alone I was expecting something a bit more over the top and maybe a belly ache/esophagus fire the next day like a Two Hearted Ale (which are a treat once every few month or so but I still would prefer not get stuck with entirely for an evening cuz after a few they fall under the "a bit too much" category for me) or the "This rules but where is the fine line between it and barley wine?" thing of Hop Slam (Yeah...I realize I used tow different things Bell's makes as my reference point. Hey! I'm Michigan born and raised! Homeland pride brothers and sisters!!!) at first and that was what I was prepared for. I don't feel let down at all that this is a bit more mellow than that...An almost perfect mellow as a matter of fact....A mellow that I can share with friends who are even of the too much persuasion as well as those that like the bite. No matter the season either. There's something about the way these guys do things (though I'm gonna wait til the colder months roll in before I try their Storm King Stout) where I have to say Victory does it again!!!

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%

I have spent some time, effort and money tasting beer. This ale is the one I always return to.

The head is a nice two fingers that slowly works its way back into the body of the beer as you let the ale breathe. The color is a redish amber and the carbonation trails are a sight to behold.

The smell is a floral, piney scent. Best sampled after poured and settled.

The mouthfeel is just right. Not too much carbonation which can cause a burning sensation. This ale is smooth to the palate and leaves a nice after taste. No stale beer breath with this brew.

This beer is a great beer for drinking with good friends and family. Everyone that I have introduced to this ale went out the next day and bought a case. In fact I shared a bottle with my local distributor owner and he now carries Hopdevil for those of us that crave a hoppy experience.

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance: Pours a nice amber color, with moderate head.

Smell: Take one whiff and you quickly realize why it's called what it is. The hoppiness is just bursting right out of the glass!

Taste: The smell is not misleading, This is, surpirse, surprise, a very hoppy drink and you can taste all those hops with each taste.

Mouthfeel: It's very smooth and will leave that hop taste lingering around your mouth for a bit.

Drinkiness: I could drink this all day and all night. It is very smooth and good for repeated drinking. If you like hops, than you'll love this brew.

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Clear, golden amber in color with a nice 2 finger head that leaves some really nice lacing on the surface of the beer as well as up and down the sides of the glass.

S: Like many of this style, the nose is dominated by citrus and pine. There is some floral character as well. This is what I expect an American IPA to smell like.

T: Nice and tart grapefruit up front which segues into a dry, bitter hop finish. Very refreshing.

M: Near perfect carbonation coupled with some decent oiliness; could use a little more texture though.

D: Easy summer drinking. Very tasty and nice example of the style. Highly recommended.

3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

The aroma is great but fools you into thinking it will be hoppier. Look at the name, for crying out loud. I know people whine about balance, but I can tell a good hoppy beer by the way it makes the back of my gums tingle and this doesn’t do it. Too much malt here for a ’hop devil’. I recommend Bell’s two-hearted or weyerbacher’s hop-infused.

4.93/5  rDev +21.1%

Hazy and orange if not copper in colour. Hihly retentive head, as should be the case with an offering like this. Aromas thick with grapefruit and sweet malty balance intertwined with a solid bready, yeasty goodness. Hardly shy on the palate, this one is smooth on the tongue with fantastic flavors of citrus and breadiness that cannot be beat. Spicy finish with a balancing malty sweetness. Perhaps the creme de la creme of beers: balanced, aromatic, flavorful, and not too high in alcohol. Certainly, IMHO, far better on cask than in bottle or on tap elsewhere than the brewpub itself. For its style, it is the best, hands down. Granted, it can be "big" for a person who is not a hop lover... that, however, is not my problem.

Zum wohl!

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Revisiting the Devil...

Appearance - Pours a hazy burnt amber with a generous off white head. Retention is quiter good. Irish lace sticks all over the inside of the glass.

Smell - Sweet malts dominate the nose a little more, with a slight alchohol burn somewhere up in the sinus. Hops are present, but a little subdued for an american IPA. Notes of lemon zest and other citrus.

Taste - Malty base is quickly over powered by an intense, but not overly so, bitterness. Caramel, citrus, burnt pineaple, and piney resins are all quite strong. More hoppy than the last time I tried this beer. Quite good.

Mouthfeel - Slick and oily, with a nice light carbonation.

Drinkability - Instead of crafting a monster of an IPA, the relative weekness makes this a more sessionable AIPA. And as I whole heartedly believe, hoppy beers are always the most refreshing on a hot day. Here's to hops!

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

Appearance: Dark amber, good head.

Smell: Citrus, not overpowering, with a kind of sweetness hovering in the background.

Taste: A nice hoppy citrus bite, not overly bitter.

Mouthfeel: Seemed a little thin to me.

Drinkability: Because of the thin mouthfeel, I could have a few in a sitting if I was willing to deal with the alcohol.

A pretty good IPA, but has never been one of my favorites even though Victory is one of my favorite breweries. Seems kind of thin but has a nice hop kick.

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

12 oz. bottle from the B-Side Liquor Lounge on Coventry, Cleveland Heights, Ohio.

Appearance: Pours an amber orange with a thick ivory head.

Smell: Pure hops with a good touch of malt in the nose.

Taste: The hops lend a zesty citrus taste (oranges, grapefruits).

Mouthfeel: Medium body in the mouth, hops all the way.

Drinkability: I found this to be a pretty good IPA, I liked the malt.

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

Aroma: Light peppery hop aroma. More caramel character comes through than the hops and they both battle each other. Fruity esters of grapefruit that can also be from the hops.

Appearance: Clear copper in color with a huge creamy slightly off white head that kinda clings to the glass.

Flavor: Very nice caramel and hints of biscuit malt flavor. Huge hop flavor that is spicey and grassy. Has a decent bitter after bite that lingers a bit and makes you take another sip to put out the "fire." The bitterness is not overly cloying. Slight alcohol but almost totally masked.

Mouthfeel: On the high side of medium bodied. Slick on the tongue. Perfect CO2.

Overall Impression: A perfectly balanced India Pale Ale. This one is not overly done on the hop bitterness at all. It's actually refreshing. Would be perfect after a hot summers day just before sunset, especially when the fishing is just right.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company