Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

Had this on many occasion but this is my first official review.

Pours a hazy, deep orange-amber color with a decent sized one finger head that actually disappears by mid glass.

Smell is of sweet malt and pine. Though the hops are very prevalent, you can tell this is more than just the hop bomb the name suggests.

Taste is interesting. Very malty up front. One can expect this from a much darker than normal IPA. Almost sugary sweet. The hops quickly emerge leaving a very dry, bitter finish. Although this beer is not overly big on Alcohol, you can taste it after a while.

Mouthfeel is where this beer is lacking. I remember this being thicker and more balanced than it was this time. The beer grew increasingly thin as I progressed.

Overall drinkability is okay. I have drunk this beer in session but it does become too drying and the alcohol taste becomes ever more present as you go along.

In closing, I am not sure this beer is really an IPA. It seems a little too sweet and darker than most IPAs I have had. Not sure it is an APA either. If it weighed in over 7%, I think it would fit right in a Strong Ale category.

Terp96, Jan 17, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

This beer came a glowing clear amber with orange highlights and a small off white head. Smelled of smoky caramel and dry pineapple hops. Tasted of a good blend of slight oats and caramel with a huge hop kicker of juniper, a bit of prunes and an awesome fruity bitterness. Mouth feel was medium bodied with a light tingly carbonation.

DarkerTheBetter, Jan 16, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a slightly hazed orange amber hue. Two finger head slowly reduces to a very dense and creamy cap that will remain throughout. Scarce specs of lacing. Cascade and Chinook hops in the nose, citrus and pine scent, and some backgroung crystal malts give it a well-rounded aroma. Begins with a sweet caramel taste, followed by a delicious orange rind and pine sap bitterness. The malt character is mild, but appropriate and balanced for the style. Medium in body with fine carbonation that helps release hop oils from the tounge. Dry aftertaste, with a herbal hop tea flavor. Finish is similiar; timidly abrasive, but friendly enough for a comfortable drinkability.

PBRstreetgang, Jan 13, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle (with best by date, nice!) into my favorite drinking goblet. Hazy dark copper color with about a half inch of foam on the top of the glass. Nice, big piney hop aroma with some hints of vanilla, maybe? What, hops not overpowering the malt?! What wonderful beer alchemy in my mouth. Hops up front, sweet malt in the middle, and nice bitter hops on my smacking lips. A standard house beer of mine.

amstelcat, Jan 11, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

HopDevil pours a hazy copper, orange color with a medium off-white head. The head is somewhat rocky, but has decent retention. The head definitely sticks to the glass. It smells like, well…hops and little bits of devil (what did you expect?)! It also has a hint of grapefruit and pine.

A very bold taste. It tastes like bitter hops, citrus and pine. It has hints of malt in the background and a nice floral aftertaste. A light spiciness lingers on the tongue.

This is a must have for hop-heads. It is a good beer. I am not particularly fond of overly hopped beers, but this one is turning me to the dark side. The label is awesome by the way. I am happy to report that this beer is not actually made with bits of real devil (they use imitation devil and devil extracts).

Mitchel, Jan 09, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

on tap into a pilsner.

clear golden amber color with half an inch of white head that leaves slight lacing.

aroma is all hop bitter aromas; floral and pine.

flavor is all hops as well, floral and pine again but with a touch of hop spiciness as well. absolutely no attempt at balance or subtlety with this one. thin mouthfeel with a very bitter afteraste. obviously can't rate the drinkability too high.

Prufrock, Jan 08, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a light copper crystal clear body with a very gentle carbonation. The head is a creamy off-white that slowly turns to a thin film.

S- The smell of big bold juicy hops has hints of pineapple, resin and grass. The smell of pale malt gives support to the big hops.

T- The hops have a fresh juicy flavor with notes of fruit, citrus and some pine flavors. The malt flavor has some pale malt qualities but there is also some toasted notes aswell. The finish has a soft yet tangy hop bitterness that hands on your breath.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a smooth texture. There is no astringency or alcohol warmth.

D- This beer is about hop flavor. There is not a lot of bitterness and the hops have a fruity flavor that is unusual. Smooth hoppy beer.

rhoadsrage, Jan 07, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Twelve ounce bottle with 'Enjoy by Nov 06 05'

Spotted this @ Hollingshead's for only $1.69

Pours orange with a two finger collar of large bubbled light tan foam and excellent clarity. Nose is evenly split between floral pine and sweet grapefruit.

Entry is nice withy carbonation lightly brushing the sides of the tongue with a mouthfeel a little thinner than I'm used to with an IPA. Midtaste hits the sweet spot with a nice pale malt and grapefruity hops.

The finish stings the back of the mouth with a pleasant, clean hop jolt that fades with the same pine / citrus ratio promised by the nose.

Smooth and very drinkable...I'll be picking up a few more of these before they're all gone!

IceAce, Jan 07, 2006

deep reddish/copper color. lots of carbonation bubblesfiling through the beer. thin but stable foamy head.

nice floral hoppy aroma with some citrus as well. lightly sweet candy notes in there too.

flavor has the usual ipa characteristics. full bitterness with enough malt to keep things balanced. niether really dominating the other.

another good example of the style, just didnt seem to blow me away as some others have.

joecast, Jan 07, 2006
4.93/5  rDev +20.8%

Amber-orange pour with a very slight haze and some whitish foam.

Incredible in your face sweet hoppiness. Amorphous citrus dominates, but a definite malty backbone exists.

Wow. Incredible hoppiness dominates the palate. Long, lingering but pleasant bitterness. Strong malty background. Caramel, toasted.

Easily the most incredibly drinkable and most balanced IPA I've had. Perfect for cold sipping nights or warm summer afternoons.

nortmand, Jan 04, 2006
3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours orange- ish with a hazy hue and mild white head. Smell is of sweet fruits, especially grapefruit and flowers. Hits you with a bit of bitterness, alright- definitely a little on the coarse side, but not too much. I must have a slightly older body, the general hop flavor is less pronounced than the bitterness; it's all bitter citrus peel here. A little malt underneath to balance things out; a bit of toast grain flavor as well. Feels nice in the mouth- not too thick or thin. Easy enough to drink, but not sure I'd crave another. Pretty darn good for the style.

amicar, Jan 03, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -18.4%

Pours a deep cloudy brownish amber with a nice big white head. Good retention and nice lacing. Smell is piney and also a little nutty. The hops bitterness takes over the taste but it isn't the typical citrus/pine hops. Definately more spicey and nutty than what i would expect from an ipa. The bitterness sticks with you but not a good way. I can see how this would appeal to some but not what I look for in an ipa at all. One of the few dissapointments I've had from Victory.

beermanbrian, Dec 31, 2005
3.65/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep hazy red-amber with a nice big frothy off-white head. Lot's of skinny lace.

Big fresh hoppy, juicy aroma.

Bitter sharp and dry hop taste. Sharp carbonation to match. As it warms up, hop spiciness translates into an alcohol bite.

Comparison time: This beer is less light, floral and fruity than Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA and less "hearty" than Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. This seems to be a spicier take on this style. My pick of these three would be DFH 60 Minute. I like my beers a bit more subtle than this one.

akahn, Dec 30, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

The color is dark copper with lots of carbonation. The large, thick head is off-white. Aroma is of a citrussy hop on top of sweet malt. As for the taste, piney hops jump out first but are soon taken over by a distinct pineapple flavor. Bitterness is very strong. An underly sweetness mixes in nicely. The overall IPA flavor here is a little different than most that I've sampled, the bitterness is a bit intrusive, still I really enjoyed HopDevil, but its not my favorite. This is something I'll pick up again, just to see if I can find out what the fuss about.

Gagnonsux, Dec 29, 2005
4.72/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from the bottle into an imperial pint. Freshness date says "enjoy by 22 2006" which is three months from now. I assume it is very fresh, because it is from a six pack I purchased from the Victory brewery along with a pack of Storm King Stout which says it was bottled 12/13/2005 (2 weeks ago).

The body is a deep orange/red color, much darker than other IPAs I've had. Quite cloudy. The head is very thick and foamy and leaves very nice lace down the glass.

I've had this on tap and the smell is not as full out of the bottle, but it is still sporting a rich hop and flowery aroma.

Flavor can be described in one word... intense. The name says it all, this beer is all about hops. Spicy, acidic hops dominate your mouth. The bitterness starts moderate and grows until the finish which ends even stronger than it started. Carries a slight dryness which I really enjoy.

Drinkability is near perfect. It's a very intense flavored beer, which usually is not a great thing for drinkability, but this doesn't seem to be the case here. The ABV is near perfect in my opinion at 6.7%.

HugoGrim, Dec 29, 2005

This poured a cloudy, pumpkin color into a pint glass with a 1/4 inch head which dissipated quickly, leaving some nice lacing.

Fruity, hoppy aroma, not as sharp as SNCA.

Very nice, bitter taste with some hints of malt. Not overpowering or cloying as I found SNCA to be.

Great bitter finish that cleansed the palate and then left the mouth feeling clean and refreshed.

I liked this much more than SNCA.

Will definitely try this again.

doppelmeup, Dec 28, 2005
3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

Another good brew from Victory. Pours out to a medium amber color with a short lived head. Lace is present in organized rings. Nice. Aroma is (gasp!) very hoppy, with some minor hints of malt and grain. Taste is very hoppy, yet not overpowering to the point that you want to cringe. Flavors of hops, sweet floral notes, mild malts and dry grain go rather well over the palate. Mouthfeel is slightly oil. I like that with the hoppy beers. Drinkability is pretty good. I'd like this every once in awhile when I want to get my "hop" on. Recommended.

Frozensoul327, Dec 28, 2005

Hopdevil pours to be a hazy amber/orange color. It has a nice medium sized head to begin with but it slowly recedes to a smaller stable head. The lacing along the sides of the glass also make this beer look appetizing. When agitated the lacing becomes thicker and the rest of the head gains a little size to. Basically ddead retention isn't spectacular.

The aroma of this beer can be described as flowery. These aromas and other hop aromas are easily detected. I also noticed that this IPA doesn't smell quite the same as the others that I've had, just something different about it. It could be that it lacks the strong citrus aroma that is apparent in so many others.

The taste of this beer is strongly influenced by hops, the flowery aroma obviously comes from the flowery taste of this beer. It is a fairly bitter beer and is mainly hop influenced. However, I do taste a roasted barley/grain flavor in the aftertaste. This is a good beer and definitely above average, but I prefer Sone or SNCA over this one.

This beer has a medium body and goes down pretty smooth. The carbonation seems high at first when it is felt on the front of the tongue, but as it sits in the mouth longer and when swallowed the perceptable level of carbonation considerably drops. This beer is good and I would buy it agian but I prefer Stone and SNCA when it comes to IPAs.

becktone, Dec 23, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Well I have had this beer beyond times to count. It is an ever present companion in my beer travels.

Head amber with a white cap that laces the whole glass. The smell is of strong citrus, spicy, fruity, and bitter hops all well backed up by the malt. The taste is very powerful an intense bitter flooding out to tasty bready malt laced with powerful pine and citrus hops that leave a twang of sweetness. Very well body and damn drinkable for such a powerful beer.

Higravity, Dec 22, 2005
3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

The is a very bold beer, to be adored, praised, (worshiped? - maybe ,maybe not) by all the Hop Heads out there. I, however, am not one of those people. I have never been a big fan of the Alpha Acidy, green bitter, super hoppy flavor. As a BA advocating beer, of all styles, I realize I need to broaden my horizons to include IPAs as well as Stouts etc. So I am evaluating this beer based on a combination of personal taste and what the style is supposed to be.

Appearance: Poured (appropriately) into my Victory pint glass; it pours an amber/copper with a 2 finger tight white head.

Smell: Citrus, hops, a slightly soapy characteristic, then a nice sweet malty base.

Taste: The spiciness I like. It is incredibly hoppy and green. I think that is exactly what this beer is going for though. Underneath all that bitterness is a small nice sweetness in a malt base. I like the alcohol peeping through. (like a spiced grass tea, in vodka) Very dry bitey aftertaste. The aftertaste is so pronounced, that 5 minutes later you can still feel the hops on you tongue and 10 minutes later you still taste hops in the back of your throat. I guess that’s a good thing if you love the flavor of hops on your tongue, so I am giving this a 3.5 for taste. If you are not a fan of the burn-y, prickly, sudsy hop flavor then; well... that’s obvious ... don't drink a beer called 'Hop' Devil.

Mouthfeel: Working very hard, I could almost get past the biting hops to notice the nice smooth medium body mouthfeel. I really did not gain much in the experience from the mouthfeel though because I wanted to get the stuff swallowed and off my aching tongue as quickly as possible. Oh yeah, being open minded about hoppy beers, forgot. Anyway a nice mouthfeel - 4.0

Drinkability: Knowing that I am not a huge personal fan of this style I am trying to be generous, but I certainly would not want more than one of these. A bit of sharp cheddar cheese along with the beer made this a just barely enjoyable (that’s a positive) way to consume 6.7 % ABV of alcohol. Clearly, this is a beer made for the Hop Heads. Enjoy.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

---
I have been broadening my horizons and expanding my palate into the world of hops in the last several moths. I have come back to this beer and now find what used to be overwhelming, quite refreshing. Maybe I should start over again but I have found that now I really like Hop Devil.
---

Phatz, Dec 22, 2005
4.08/5  rDev 0%

Nice pour, plenty of offwhite head that had some staying power.

Aroma: definitely some solid hop smells here, but I'm actually more struck by how well you can smell the malts. Very bready, this much malt smell means it's gonna be strong.

Taste: Hops are more pronounced here, but the malts are also quite strong, a nice balance. Bitterness comes through late in the sip and that's nice too.

Mouthfeel: Nice and thick, about as I expected after that big malt smell.

Drinkability: just fine. Low score mostly related to my own tendency to stop after 1 extremely hoppy beer. It's a good one, though.

PeatReek, Dec 22, 2005
4.08/5  rDev 0%

Draft Pours brown like ice tea with a good head. Aroma is of grapefruit and orange. Flavor is a good mix of hops and malts. A nice after taste. A very good beer. This is a strong beer. Don't have to many or you might mot be able to get up. I am local to Victory and love there stuff. This is my favorite.

Birdiebeagle, Dec 21, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

This beer pours a reddish amber color with a slight fluffy head that does not last long. Smells of spicy and powerful citrus hops. This beer really hits the nostrils and the senses. Taste is quite strong in the hop department. Very spicy beer that finishes a little dry. Malts are complex and add a good balance too this beer. It is hoppy but still very drinkable. The texture is smooth and full bodied. Very tasty beer and a great IPA.

stewart124, Dec 18, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

What a good beer. I wish i could pick this one up locally, but its just not the case around here. Got this in houston.

Pours out a rich ruby red and rusty orange. appears hazy because it is not transparent, however its hard for me to say it is hazy... just looks very potent. Slight orangish head, about an inch. ring stays around the glass through the whole beer. good lacing too.

Smell is good. I get a sweetness initially with the hops. its a natural sweetness like honey.

Taste is quite impressive. This is not one i could drink everyday though because it just seems too much. It has a very raw taste to it. A very earthy hoppy flavor, and very bitter. I get some sweetness like powder sugar. some alcohol bite comes out at the end.

Mouthfeel is quite creamy for a beer i think taste so raw. Medium carbonation. Chewy too. I am actually moving my jaw as if i am eating this beer.

Overall a great beer, but not one i could drink all night or everyday, but thats just me. But it is quite a treat and a great one to change things up when you want to get a little festive.

acrawf6, Dec 16, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

A: A deep ruby amber, somewhat cloudy, 1/4" inch head with a slow pour. The head recedes to a foamy film that last until the glass is empty.
S: citrus fruits and hops
T: This beer bites you at the beginning and has a touch of malty sweetness at the end. The hops stay in your mouth a long time after the beer has made it's way down your esophogus(sp?).
M: Mouthfeel is crisp and dry.
D: very drinkable if you like the style.
This is one of my favorite beers regardless of style. I simply can't get enough of HopDevil.

wcudwight, Dec 15, 2005