Hop Devil Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Reviews: 2,480 | Ratings: 7,126
3.57/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Decent IPA from Victory. Floral, spice, dank bitterness that lingers on the palate. Prefer Dirtwolf anyday however. Not a bad offering though. Always available in my area which is nice.

3.57/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Maybe it's just me but I found this beer to be way too malty and boring. The thing was I could tell this was going to be the case from the aromas alone . . . and this bottle still has 4 months until it's best by date. The appearance is nice enough. It glows and even looks attractive and inviting in the glass. But the taste and flavors are far from being a good ipa.

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I tasted this a few years back and thought nothing of it. I decided to give it a second chance and was surprised by the how much better it tasted this time around. Hoppy, piny, citrus deliciousness. Reminded me of Great Divide's Titan IPA but a bit sweeter and not quite as hoppy. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and can see where the hype is coming from. I believe batches vary in quality but if you get a good one your in for a treat.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Definitely a very "malty" IPA. But I dig it. Threw one back after a Sculpin so the malt came out a lot more I think. More hops would be good. Reminds me of a Dogfish Head beer.

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served nitro on tap. Clear and orangish red with a creamy white head. Citrus hop aroma, very pleasant. Hops explode in the taste, good blend of bitterness and a hint of malt. Very smooth (with the nitro) and a great texture. Very enjoyable.

4.71/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

No matter how many amazing, hop-heavy beers I try, I will always remember that this is the one that put me on the IPA train. Love this beer, will always be one of my favorites.

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A very malt forward IPA with a hazey copper color and fragrant, almost perfumey hop smell. Little head retention. Overall, good beer. Definitely not outstanding but good.

4.66/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As a hop head it crazy that I have not tried this brew! What a nice surprise. Poured out of a bottle a nice amberish color with little head. Smell was floral with apricot, slight banana, and pine. Taste was a blast of hops! It dissipates giving way to a citrus and apricot hint and finishing with just a hint of pine. The hoppy taste lingers for a bit after the finish. A must try for hop heads!

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I was disappointed with this beer but it may not have been very fresh. It's not very fragrant - smell is grainy and slightly sweet. Taste is solid but not overly impressive. Definitely malt forward. Really nice dark amber color. yb

4.14/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a copper color, decent head and good lace retention.
The hops hit the nose right away. This is followed by a nice biscuity malt aroma with a hint of alcohol.
Incredibly hoppy taste, bitter, piny and resiny. The malt presence is slightly felt in the background. Dry, hoppy, bitter and resin like finish that leaves a lingering aftertaste. Full mouthfeel. Creamy and smooth.

L- Orange

S- apricot, peach, citrus

T- Apricot and peach, some spicy flavor, and a piney finish.

F- good body and carbonation.

O- really good!

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I don't like hops, but this was okay. Strong hop taste, obviously, but drinkable for me. Not overly bitter, and somewhat balanced. Some hints of malts. Nice looking beer with a nice one finger head. Leaves plenty of lacing. Decent mouthfeel; maybe a bit thin.

3.82/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

330ml bottle, poured into tester glass.

A: Bronze, clear, medium disappearing had, left some lacing.

S: Pine, orange, malts, zest.

T: Slightly sour apples, hint of charcoal, fruity but initially it didn’t have vast amounts of bitterness. Finished with a hit of wheat and eventually there was some bitterness which lingered, the malt to IBU balance was slightly on favour of the malt.

M: Light to medium body, not too much carbonation.

O: Good but not memorable, would get buried under the all the good east coast IPAs.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very good IPA. I have been wanting to try this one and I'm glad I got the chance. Not a citrus flavor. Nice and bitter but well balanced. Very good selection.

3.5/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Dogfish Head IPA glass.

A - 4.25 - Pours a nice caramel orange color. Forms about a finger of lightly yellowed white head. Medium head potential and retention. Spotty lacing.
S - 3.5 - Nothing too wild here. VERY light hop aroma, a touch of spice and a strong herbal note.
T - 3.25 - A little on the weak side for me. Very lightly sweet arrival which quickly fades into a quite weak bitter hop ending.
F - 4 - Good smooth and decently oily mouthfeel.
O - 3.5 - This is what I call a food pairing beer and a shower beer. This would make a fine transitional brew for beginners, but experienced IPA drinkers may find this a bit weak due to its lack of bitterness and other flavors. A decent little session IPA, but nothing to write home about.

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Opaque deep auburn draft pour with off white head. Hops and a whisper of citrus. Bitter (in a good way) hops up front. Medium lite mouthfeel-nice hoppy tongue coating. A definite go to.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

The only drinkable IPA style beer in my humble opinion. I'm not a big fan of the style personally, so I'm already biased against it, but I find this one lacks the sour milk aftertaste that ruins most IPAs for me. This has a strong, crisp, grapefruity bitterness balanced with a nice malty sweetness. It is like Victory's Prima Pils but with a much more intense hoppy bitterness. I don't know if I'd go out of my way to buy this number again, but I do like it.

4.71/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This may be THE classic American IPA (at least for us East Coasters). Big hops in your nose and rolling across your tongue, but a nice malty backbone to support it. It's closing in on 20 years since I drank my first bottle of Hop Devil and crowned it the best India Pale Ale I'd ever had, and it remains one of my favorite IPAs still today.

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%

another excellent Victory, golden amber, creamy tan head, nice nose but not as pronounced as I would expect. More hoppy flavor than aroma and very smooth as far as IPAs go.

4.14/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A classic. Always have some at my house for guests. Had it on nitro at Victory as well, but it took away the great hoppy flavor that is so characteristic of this amazing beer. Really one of the beers that started it all.

4.11/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Long overdue on this one as I've had several time. Poured into a Belgian Ale glass to reveal a very consistent golden color. Light on the smell but big on the hop taste. Goes down smooth to leave you wanting for more. A great beer when you are drinking more than one...two...etc.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Lovely deep copper in color, brilliantly clear. Pours a nice tight white head with good retention.

Nice slightly sweet hoppy aroma with a bit of mango and pine. Hop aroma a bit subdued, but may be sampling this beer at too cold of a temperature.

Nice maltiness up front is immediately balanced by a lovely nutty hop flavor. Hop flavors more pine than fruit, and has a nice bitterness all the way through. No harsh bitterness break on the back end. Bitterness and overall hop flavors are well done.

Medium body and carbonation, no astringency or harshness from the hops. Maybe a very slight alcohol warming.

Super drinkable for a hoppy IPA. Not overpowering despite being intensely hoppy and quite bitter. Sufficient malt from which to hang the hops. I suddenly have a new contender for my favorite American IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

One of the first IPAs I have tried, and was lucky enough to get it fresh from the tap in Vienna, Austria. Hazy orange, white head. Huge grapefruit aroma, with pine hops, as well. Bitter and refreshing, delicious with pine, citrus and honey notes.

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Excellent Beer and priced right. My go to IPA. Their Dirt Wolf is amazing as well. Victory is a great brewery. Love a good IPA and this is one of the best.

4.56/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice amber color with an off white half inch head. Plenty of lacing left behind as I drank the glass down.
From the second I opened the bottle you could smell the pine. A very hop forward smell.
Very balanced taste that left just a slight aftertaste.
Could drink this beer all day as it is very tasty. In my mind this is a perfect IPA.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown