Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +12.7%

I was so excited to finally see this beer on shelves near me. I have been keeping an eye out for it for quite a while and just randomly happened to notice it today. I can't get enough hops so a name like 'hopdevil' caught my attention the first time I heard about it. Upon cracking the bottle, I could immediatly smell what else, but hops. Hops and some citrus. It looked great in my glass; it poured a nice hazy amber color which is exactly how I like an IPA to look. First taste was great, a little malty taste for the first instant but then HOPS. A truly awesome beer, the type of IPA I have been looking for. I think I might have a few more after this one as I find it to be highly drinkable (although I can see how lesser fans of hops might not) but I think I'll save a few because they were pretty expensive at $8.69.
A great beer. If you like hops and well balanced but complex IPA's, pick this up!

silver1audi, Nov 28, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I tried Victory's Hop Devil on cask at their brewpub in Downingtown, PA.
Pours a nice hazy orange/copper. Nice foamy head, but not too big.
Aroma is very citrussy, piney hops and a hint of sweet maltiness.
Very complex taste. Excellent balance of hops and malt obviously leaning towards the hop side.
The beer is very drinkable but you definitely have to be a hophead to handle more than a few.

BillyB, Nov 28, 2005
4.95/5  rDev +21.3%

pours a somewhat hazy dark amber color with good white foam.

smells like sweet malts and big hops. seems great so far.

taste is quite balanced at first but falls into a heavy hop aftertaste. sweet malts upfront, a little bit fruity at first but then into a nice hop kick. alcohol is quite present. it's damn good.

mouthfeel probably couldn't be better. very pleasant. typical nice balanced IPA. not too heavy not too light. good balance like i said. a great brew.

JasonCoop, Nov 27, 2005

Pours a golden/amber color, nice carbonation, small thin head, some nice lacing afterwards. Scents of hops, malt, citrus, and caramel. The taste is very hoppy with a little bit of a malt taste, has a very nice bite at the end. Medium body. This is a very nice IPA from Victory, do they make anything bad, lol. Very drinkable at the ABV, very hoppy, highly recommended.

Wasatch, Nov 23, 2005
3.2/5  rDev -21.6%

Nice deep amber color, good clarity, decent head. Very spicy,pungent hop aroma emanates from my warming pint glass of Hop Devil. Obviously this is a highly hopped IPA. Malt flavors are light and the beer is quite dry. Hops dominate, very spicy and herbal. Mild pine flavors as well. Best part of this beer is the deep and complex hop aroma. However, this is nothing to write home about. Overall an average IPA that happens to be highly hopped. Victory is a great brewery and I think their pils is the best in the world. There is no way this beer should be rated higher than the pils. Anyone can make a decent and hoppy IPA. Definately worth a try for the complex hop aroma and flavor, but also try the pils.

ahking, Nov 22, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

A mild copper color with a nice thick head that stays for quite a while. I detected aromas of hops, grass, citrus, and caramel; very appealing. The taste is suprisingly smooth and well balanced with a significant sugar flavor for this style. The alcohol is well concealed and hops seem to stay strong until the very last sip. The only thing I had a problem with was the aftertaste; a bit too bready and potent. An excellent beer with loads of character and flavor. Another great beer from Victory! Excellent drinkabilty

jaluria, Nov 21, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearance is a nice thick copper color with an awesome tan-colored head created with a vigorous pour. This one smells delicious. I've spent so much time whiffing this one that I almost forgot I was supposed to drink it. An absolutely gordgeous smelling brew.

A nice bold citrus taste. Reminds me of grapefruit and oranges, maybe grapefruit peelings. Good smoothness considering the level of tart citrus hops. I also notice some sort of spices but cant figure out exactly what. Overall it tastes good. Hearty, and smooth for the style.

The mouthfeel is probably a little over medium-bodied, but not heavy. Quite a drinkable beer as well. I really wish I had more than just one.

jasonpeckins32, Nov 20, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Well, tonight has been a Victory night as this is my second of their line for the evening.

A solid coppery honey with orange hues graces my pint glass with a finger of very light tan head. The bouquet was of citrus ending on toast bread. A bit sublte for me. I like a bit more punch.

A nice citrus grapefruit graces your tongue with some notes of grain and biscuit, possibly malt... a decent balance but leaning a bit more to the malts than i normally desire, but doesnt detradct from it. I liked this IPA and it's a good brew which i reccommend. Good body and carbonation.

SwillinBrew, Nov 19, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Once again got this guy from Brawley's in Charlotte.

A. Pours a copper/ amber like color with an off white head that had good retention and some lacing.

S. Smells of hops, but not and over powering flowery smell like some IPA's.

M. To me its a meduim bodied beer.

T. Very good IPA, the taste of the hops were there, but the malt balances it out very well. ALmost a nutty taste in there. I am a hop head, but this was a very good tasteing beer that like i said balances out nice at the end.

O. Very drinkable, could knock back a couple of these in a session.

derrickt007, Nov 15, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy orange bronze color with a half inch + of tan foam after a pretty aggressive pour. There are only a few bubbles rising, but the head sticks around for a while anyway. There is some lacing left behind after drinking.

Aroma: Lots of hops...go figure! There is a pronounced citrus with a dominant grapefruit presence. There is a good bit of floral hops in here too, and they remind me of Honeysuckle.

Taste: Amazingly there is enough malt in here to give the beer a palatable balance. There is quite a bit of floral and citrus hops noticeable in the beginning, but then there is assertive malt that makes its way into the profile. The finish is only slightly tipped toward the bitter, and doesn't leave you with a harsh metallic aftertaste that so many IPA's do.

Opinion: Well, I am not the biggest hophead, so I had ill conceived expectations of this beer. I was pleasantly surprised. There are a lot of hops here, but it is more for show than flavor. There is a whole lot of late additions, at the end of the boil...and just enough early in the boil to make this a very drinkable beer. I am not big on hops, but I would drink this beer again for sure!

SkeeterHawk, Nov 15, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

Hazy copper-amber with an offwhite head, decent attenuation. Adequate lacing all the way down the glass. Nose is bergamot spiciness, spruce, and orange pith. On the tongue it’s all peppery grapefruit rind and biscuity malt. Bitter pineyness. Some slight toffee in there, too. Really delicious. Nice, medium body and overall juicy (thickish) mouthfeel. Excellent IPA. I’d drink it regularly if I could.

orfeu, Nov 14, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured a dull copper color with a fluffy off white head that left clumps of lace down the glass.

It had a very assertive floral and citrus hops aroma, with some light malts and fresh bread.

The taste was of dominated by citrusy hops, and hints of sweet bread malts. The mouthfeel was smooth, nicely carbonated, and medium bodied.

Overall, this is a very drinkable brew. The alcohol is well hidden underneath the hoppyness. A very good IPA for a guy that typically does not like them.

soulfly967, Nov 14, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

S-Bottle from a six pack that I picked up at the local store. Victory is big in PA where I was in school, but living in MA now I was surpised but happy to see their stuff in the cooler. Then I got home and saw the enjoy by July 2005 stamp on the side of the bottle...this was November 10th...oh well, I gave it a try anyway. It was still pretty good.

A-The usual IPA, reddish brown slightly golden color. A nice light head on top that left behind plenty of lacing on the way down.

S-Not as overpowering as IPAs usually are. Mind you, that is a smell I like so overpowering is not used in any negative sense here...but anyway, this didn't have the trademark super hoppy scent that I have come to expect from most IPAs. It was still there, just more subdued and subtle in its hoppiness.

Taste-Since I couldn't compare this to a fresh beer, I don't know whether this was tasting right or not. But, it was not bad at all. This was not as hoppy as other beers of this kind I have had, but that's not a bad thing since I think sometimes it gets overdone. Some hopiness was still there and the beer is filled with strong flavors throughout.

Mouthfeel-Pretty good. Again, who knows what the age did to it here. It was not very carbonated...only a slight bit present. Nothing to complain about though, nice and smooth with a little bite to it.

D-Just fine. Can't really taste the high octane in this one at all. Goes down smooth, even if it is 4 months too old! Very good balanced flavor, not so assaulting you can keep drinking it. Would try again for sure, hopefully a fresh one next time.

johnshuster, Nov 14, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a slightly hazy red colored ale with a fair tan head. I could almost call this amber but it is more red than that.

Smell is LOTS of citrus hops with a fairly strong sour note from them. Little bit of bready malt scent is there but the hop scent simply dominates this beer. Little bit of oak scent in this.

Taste is very mildly sweet with a slight sour note and lots of hops. First sensation I get here is smoke, and it is very pleasant. The smokiness reminds me of a good Scottish wee heavy. Strong oak and grapefruit are the next hop flavors to make themselves known. Fairly bitter without getting harsh this is a great IPA that pulls off that trick very well. Strong hop oil slickness on the teeth and tongue.

Mouthfeel is good rich without going to far.

Super drinkable for a very strong IPA. This an excellent beer with only one fault, the 6.7% ABV makes this a bit strong for drinking one after another. Great beer that I can recommend.

Zorro, Nov 12, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

New bottle 2008: The bitterness seems to be just right. Rich, oily, and flavorful...a nice bit of malt, but hoppy as hell. An excellent IPA that I ignore far too often. GET IT FRESH.

Pours a hazy orange-copper with a fat two-finger off-white head. Smell is deliciously hoppy, floral - lightly sweet malts, and even some toasted grain. Taste is a solid wall of hops with a strong malt backbone - medium bitterness. Smooth mouthfeel with minimal carbonation and a slightly bitter finish.

Less in-your-face than I remember...still very aromatic and palatable. Doesn't punish your tastebuds with bitterness, instead it charms them with a great savory hoppy flavor. Very distinct...good stuff.

wedge, Nov 11, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Grabbed a 6 pack at BevMo.

Cooled a 12ozer down and poured it into a pint glass.

Poured a beautiful crystal clear copper color. Thick foamy off-white head. Beautful carbonation. Thick lacing like a MoFo!

Huge malty aroma. The big malt smell overpowers the hops. Smells like fresh boiled wort to me.

Thick on the palate, rich malt flavor. A fruity raisin like flavor and hints of tea in there. Very mild bitternes that sticks to the back of the tongue with a hint of grapefruit.

Very good, full bodied, nice balance and very drinkable.

Cheers!

SteveO1231, Nov 10, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Nice hazel/amber colored brew. I pick up some grassy hops in the nose along with sweets. Big citrus hops flavor, like chewing on a grapefruit rind. Very full mouthfeel that sticks to the palate for awhile. Rich hoppy beer with excellent drinkability.

goochpunch, Nov 09, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

This beer is the color of a Red Oak leaf in October. It has a smell that is one of the best of any beers I've had. There is no question this bad boy is bitter. The hops have started Armageddon on my tongue. WOW!! This is my first beer from Victory and if this is any indication I can't wait to see what they can do for a stout. ( SKS ) Could I drink more than one. Oh yeah. Will I tonight? Nope, I'm out. 6% Cap went to Hell via Hop Devil!!!

Enola, Nov 09, 2005
4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

Three pints from cask at Zeno's. Wow. The cask really does wonders to this stuff. There is a glorious thick off-white head that persists forever. Below the everlasting head, this beer is a fantastic opaque dark amber color. Smell is all hops- spicy and citrusy and pretty much the same as the stuff from a bottle. Tastes fantastic. Hops hit hard and persist throughout. The difference is that it just tastes a bit more complex and untamed than normal hopdevil. I must say that what really stikes me about this beer more than anything else is the mouthfeel- heavy and creamy and just fantastic. Perhaps the best mouthfeel of any beer I've tried. Pretty drinkable- addictive really, as the fact that I had three pints demonstrates. Wonderful stuff.

burnstar, Nov 08, 2005
3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance: A nice IPA light brown with a thin head and little lacing to speak of.

Smell: A bit cleaner than you'd expect for an IPA of this strength. A few notes of roasted nuts come through.

Taste: Hop heavy, as the name obviously implies. This is an unpretentous beer, so I can forgive it for its complete lack of balance. This is supposed to be a hop-hitter and it certainly lives up to that. Sweeter and less bitter than your typical hophead feature, but that's about all there is to add.

Mouthfeel: The sharp bitterness of the hops dominates as you'd expect. Still, light in body for an IPA.

Drinkability: Surprisingly drinkable on a hot day. This beer would hold up well against some spicy food and sweating-hot weather.

dfuller, Nov 07, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

I will be writing nothing that has not been written about HopDevil Ale since over 600 reviews have already been written about it (which looks like it's the second more reviewed ever). For only 6.7% ABV, this one packs a mighty punch which I truly enjoyed over a big ND win versus Tennessee yesterday. Paid only $7.50 a six pack, which was the first time I've seen it in our post-Pop the Cap grocery store. This one is not for everyone; I would not have enjoyed this one bit two years ago. Much better than the Redhook IPA I had a bit later that evening.

Backer2004, Nov 06, 2005
2.23/5  rDev -45.3%

wow, i was very disappointed with this one, there is no balance to this brew just over the top hops, this needs some malt flavor very badly. aroma is very strange and not plesant, i wish i would not have bought an entire six pack of this.

I ususally like highly hopped beers but this one is just too one-dimensional, i guess most others disagree but i can't understand why this is so highly rated.

evanackerman, Nov 05, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a nice copper orange color and is a bit hazey.
Yup, definately an IPA, very nice hop smell, sweet, and citrusy.
It's taste matches its smell, with a spicey element and a nice balanced malt character. The aftertaste leaves you with that spice and a fine alcohol warming. I would suggest that this beer is a hoppier IPA than some but is done tastefully and very well. Really a fine tasting beer. It has become a regular in my fridge and I highly recommend it.

Matthew, Oct 31, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Came to the table with a minimal soapy head over clear deep amber liquid. Nose is all biscuity malt and flowery hops. The wonderfully smooth mouthfeel sets the stage for a mingling of fresh hops and sweet malt on the palate. The finish is long with a brief fruity flourish and long fading hoppiness.

beerluvr, Oct 27, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Slight hazy cider color and white-ish head that fades to layer over the surface. Nice well blended smell and taste. Full of aromatic hopiness, toasty malts, and a hint of butter that all come together. Tastes aromatic too, if thats possible. Subtle bitter finish. A lot of nice stuff going on. Real nice mouthfeel and goes down smooth.

Real good IPA, a massage on the senses.

tastybeer, Oct 24, 2005