Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,429 | Hads: 6,872
4.01/5  rDev -1.5%

Appearance: Nice clear orangish color with a pale head that dissipates quickly. Good carbonation but little head retention.

Smell: Pleasant citrusy, earthy aroma with just a hit of malt and the end. Not overpowering but very present.

Taste: Much like the smell. Huge notes of citrus. Piney hops are present too. Malty toward the finish with a bitter, dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Excellent! Full bodied, very well carbonated and light enough to be
refreshing.

Overall: Excellent IPA and a great example of the style. An easy drinker that has a great aroma and full of flavor. I would've like a little more head retention and maybe a slightly more pronounced aroma but still one I'll definitely drink again. (709 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thought this was decent IPA. Not overly hoppy but good balance with malts and hops.
Good drink ability and it finished very clean on the palate.
My thoughts are this beer is a bit overrated on here for what I tasted, but it was still a solid beer.
:) (251 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bought as a single bottle, poured into a pint glass

Full disclosure - I am not typically a hoppy beer guy, bought it as a recommendation

A: orangish, decent lacing, about 1-2 cm foamy head

S: hoppy - citrus-y

T/M: First is the hoppiness assault on the palate, but the second wave is sort of a slightly sweet, maybe bready phase that balances out the hops quite nicely, there is an aftertaste that, for me, is difficult to define but is extremely pleasant. The carbonation is medium. The astounding aspect of this beer is that the hop flavor is so well counter balanced but it's still strongly pleasant that makes me wonder why I haven't tried more IPAs

O: excellent beer, again, not my beer style preference, but if more IPAs are built with this level of complexity, I might have to branch out (798 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- Dark amber color. Poured a 1 finger, creamy head that dissipated quickly. Nice lacing.
S- Tropical fruits, caramel, floral and some pine.
T- Big caramel sweetness mixed with orange and tropical fruits up front. Midway a biscuit like flavor pops out with strong pine flavors and some spice. As it warms, other sweet fruit flavors begin to show on the finish. One sip, I could've sworn I tasted strawberries.
M- Creamy with good carbonation. Oily finish with nice lingering bitterness.
O- Very good IPA. This is a mix I've never quite experienced. There are almost too many different flavors to name at times. Beautifully balanced and complex. Would definitely have again. (676 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I've had people tell me this is their favorite beer--I don't put it into that category but it still tastes darn good.

A: It pours a light amber color.
S & T: The smell and taste and some significant fruit undertones, so if you don't like that, stay away. As the name suggests, it's hoppy! First sip is delicious with a drier finish than one might expect. I like an IPA that's lip-smacking wet. This isn't quite that.
Overall: Out of the many options at the liquor store, I find myself regularly buying this beer. It's really tasty and a solid stand by if I'm not in the mood to get too adventurous with something new.

I can't agree with those who list this beer as their fave, but I'd put it in my top 15-20 IPAs. (718 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I always thought this one was a little over-rated and that it pales in comparison to most other american ipas I've had.
Appearance: Pours an awesome golden color with around .5" of head and it left great lacing.
Smell: Over- powering maltiness with some citrus and hop bite to it.
Taste: The same as the smell. The maltiness is over-powering to me, and it puts all of the other flavors on the back burner. There is some nice citrus flavor though.
Mouth: Medium carbonation with a med ium body.
Overall: Its not a terrible beer, but it is not the IPA for me. I believe this one defines the east coast IPA, but I like the west coast style a lot better. (651 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Could not locate a bottling date on the label or the bottle. Other bottles in the sixpack say enjoy by 1/16/14, and since Victory recommends drinking them within five months, they would have been bottled 8/16/13, about two and a half months ago.

Original 9/15/13 review of another bottle purchased earlier:
Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a Sierra Nevada IPA glass
a: Clear amber with a huge and stubborn 2 inch tall off white head which eventually receded to very heavy surface foam and extensive even lacing. Awesome!
s: Caramel! Unusual!
t: Bitter hops over very distinctively dark caramel malt with strong coffee undertones! Breakfast IPA, anyone? Coffee tones did tend to decline near the end, but left a slightly bitter aftertaste towards the entire back of the tongue. Refreshingly heavy carbonation.
m: Medium. Blindfolded, I might mistake this for a light breakfast stout!
o: A most unusual IPA, and one I need to try again to confirm this bizarre but very enjoyable profile.
My experience seems quite different from other recent reviews described below. I did not get either the citrus or overpowering hops, but rather caramel/coffee under moderate hops.. I loved it as it was, Definitely will buy more to see if that's how my palate reports it again.
Original ratings were a:5 s:4.75 t:4.75 m:4.25 o:4.75

NEW REVIEW 10/27/13: Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a Sierra Nevada IPA glass
a: Clear amber with a huge and stubborn 2 inch tall off white head which eventually receded to even surface foam film and some semi-patterned lacing.
s: Pine
t: Very hops dominant, light malt underneath. Bitterness lingers on the tongue.
m: Moderate with good body. Quite smooth,
o: Excellent IPA, bordering on a double and might pass for such. (1,749 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Bought a single 12 oz bottle at a supermarket to try it.
Chilled to 45 degrees F.
Poured into a Saint Arnold's 12 oz clear taster glass.
This beer is a sleeper. I was expecting a stronger nose given the style. What I did smell was very pleasant in a subtle way. I had to sniff it a few times to get a good olfactory reading. Nice. Almost no head. Rapid disappearance. Nice carbonation. Small, lightly populated trails of bubbles reaching the surface. Nice sticky lacing lasting till the end of the glass. This beer has a wonderful and interesting flavor. It does not come on as strong as many IPAs and yet as it lingers on your tongue you taste more and more flavors that entice you to raise the glass to your lips again.
I definitely like this beer. If you are hesitant to drink an AIPA, try this one.
A very pleasingly-smooth presentation of this style.
Worth storing a few. I am curious how it ages. (903 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
6.7% ABV, Enjoy by Oct 29th 2013

A - Dark orange rind amber hued, HopDevil's strong carbonation keeps floating particles in suspension while feeding the low creamy, off-white head. Sticky lace is left behind, circling the pint in rings.

S - Strong floral hops greet the olfactory right away and are backed by juicy tropical fruit notes and a faint hint of pine. Robust maltiness balances the hop-leaning aroma with toast and brown breadiness for an inviting nose.

T - Chewy caramel-drizzled warm, thickly sliced bread has a stranglehold on the beer but is briefly dethroned by smooth floral hops with a citrus, tropical fruit bite and earthy pine finish.

M - HopDevil's bolder maltiness gives the beer a heavier feel with sharp carbonation and dry hoppiness coming in on the bitter finish.

O - HopDevil is decidedly hoppy with plenty of floral, citrus, and pine notes and a bitter finish but the hops seem to do more work balancing against the big malt body of the beer rather than the other way around but, HopDevil remains a powerful beer regardless. (1,114 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle > Sensory Pils Glass

A - Pours a lighter amber 2 fingers of white soapy head, medium thick lacing
S - Lots of pine, and some citrus, grapefruit, big biscuit and caramel malt, a touch of spice.
T - Big flavor, malts are forward in this beer, caramel and biscuit, then you get a big pine bite with some light citrus tartness finishes very dry, and kind of papery (?)
M - Chewy at first, then dry, but goes down easily.
O - Its the American IPA that's been around forever, and it still holds strong to this day, lots of big bitter hop bite, but not sacrificing flavor. (576 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The coloring is coppery, clean and clear, with an off white head that stood tall, fizzy but thick.

The scent is heavy on the rye, with a stiff malt backbone. The hops are more floral, earthy, piney and onions. I smelled orange at times, even a bit of lemon but the floral hops hold closer to the front.

The flavors are spot on the scent as I catch a heavy rye malt. The hops are certainly at the front with earth tones, pine, chive, and even lemon. The rye subsides a bit and gives off a caramel malt finish.

This is a very good IPA, with flavors bouncing all over the place, but I think that it is simply my palate that enjoys the overwhelming fruit that this does not provide. (681 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

a- rich amber, not too much head except for thin lacing at top. the look of this beer is just begging for it to be consumed.
s- allergies are keeping me from indulging my nose into this.
t- big hops at the beginning that mellow nicely into a great taste. the hops at the front are very heavy but don't dominate the taste.
m- medium feel, not too heavy.
o- this beer is awesome. only the second american ipa i've had, but it definitely beats Inversion from Deschutes. enjoyed drinking this beer and definitely will try this again. (530 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A - bronze with solid head that hung around until beer was gone

S - amazing aroma from citrus hops, felt like I had a glass of orange juice

T - floral, citrus, fruity hops all here

M - on the thin side, but nice spicy aftertaste

O - wonderful IPA, wish I would have bought a few more (287 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle poured into an IPA glass. No date on bottle.

A - Reddish amber hue. Gentle pour yielded only the faintest head. Heavy carbonation. Clear/no cloudiness or sediment. Lacing disappears as the beer recedes.

S - Somewhat fragrant, although lacking in complexity. Strong rye and spice with hints of peach and apricot.

T - Rye, spice, orange rind, and some lemon tartness with a bitter rye finish. Strong malt backbone.

M - Heavy carbonation but lightly bodied. Carbonation hides complexity of mouth feel. Yields some foaming in the mouth. Clean and crisp.

O - Is this a Rye Pale Ale? In a blind taste test, I wouldn't call this an IPA. I will not repeat this purchase. (681 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +12.8%

First bottle of this ever and all I can say is WOW.

Appearance: Least impressive thing about this beer. Not much head but that doesn't always reflect on the quality of the beer.

Smell: This is what an IPA should smell like. Permeates a rich and sweet hoppy aroma with a hints of caramel malt and wheat barley

Taste: Is a little offsetting at first because of the rich notes of Wheat and Earthy Hops but grows quickly as the glass empties. A little more bitter than your regular IPA. Caramel is very tasteful in its presence and complements the wheat/hops taste. Think I tasted a hint of Vanilla but maybe I'm dreaming. Still the best IPA taste-wise I've had.

Mouthfeel: Delightfully smooth and elegant. Very swishable but yet a beer you want to drown in.

Overall: Victory does know how to brew an IPA. This is a rich and hoppy brew that will be a constant favorite. Not necessarily a novice IPA but that is probably a good thing. The Caramel tones are second to no other IPA. (980 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -45.9%

All in all not a great taste. They threw a ton of spices together and prayed... an overpowering taste of hops. Very heavy flavor. I guess a lot of people are into that though. Not me though, not a smooth beer and certainly not good flavor. I would not recommend this overpriced and overrated beer to anyone. (307 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appears opaque, dark amber. Off-white cap peters out rather quickly. Nice spots of lacing. A little dark for the style IMO.

You can definitely smell the fresh hop aroma, but it is not as strong as I would expect from a beer called "Hop Devil." There is not much of a spicy, citrus component like many beers of the style. It is more malty and bready, with hints of sweet fruit like apricot or blueberry.

Taste is complex and pleasant. There is more of a malt component on the front end, and it transitions toward bitterness after the swallow. Hops and bitterness linger into the aftertaste, and there is also a bread-like component to the aftertaste.

MF is silky and moderately carbonated. Medium bodied.

Overall this is a pretty good beer. If you like an American IPA with plenty of malt in the backbone, you will like this. I was a little surprised, based on the namesake, that this beer was not a clear showcase of hops in both the aroma and taste. IMO they did not stand out any more than the malt. (1,005 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a snifter from the 12 oz. bottle.

a: Nice 2 finger head, copper colored with some patchy lacing.

s: Nice west coast hop scent, very forward cascade hop smell.

t: Balanced, bitter on the front of your tongue, but fades quickly, very little aftertaste.

m: Chewier than expected, bigger body than the color would suggest.

o: Awesome beer, not the best IPA I've ever tasted, but a good deal and definitely worthy of a daily drinker. (448 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a very hazy amber color with a finger width foamy head. Head retention is okay. Lacing is decent. Has a piney, citrus, slightly apple aroma. Hints of caramel malts. Caramel malty taste with a moderate piney hop, giving to a floral moderately bitter aftertaste. Good beer. A little much on the malts but very tasty none-the-less. (341 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

poured from bottle into pint
app-nice orange color, more than their pale ale, thin white head, goes away quickly
smell- smells wonderful, right on target for an ipa, reminds me of some dipas
taste- not disappointed has what we are looking for nice hop punch outpaces the malt, but not out of balance, again reminds me of some doubles, let's call it a 1.5 ipa
mouthfeel-has some of a oily like feel that i enjoy from an ipa, i like it
overall- i am a fan, will be having this one again, not a life-changing beer, but can't pick out anything wrong with it (555 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - copper amber clear coloring. Nice lacing on the glass. Head dies down to a thick film of bubbles.

S - grapefruit, pine, lots of hops, with lots of bready malts in the background

T - not that great, super malty, with piney/grapefruit hops in the background. It has a wierd taste to it that I noticed in Hop Slam this year too.

M - light to medium, bitter grapefruit aftertaste, alc covered

O - nothing amazing, good though, pretty standard east coast american ipa. I'm starting to notice that I like the east coast IPAs a lot less. They're always too malty. Stone ipa is widely available and much better. (612 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Had been wanting to try this. Maybe should call this Malt Devil, as the flavour you come away with is malt defined.

More taste and mouthfeel of a barley wine rather than an IPA. Still quite fragrant of hops though the malts shines through and I love barley wines. (265 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I have little to say about this beer aside from the fact that it is one of the best, well-rounded IPA's I have had, especially tapped... NITRO! I don't have much else to say about this beer aside from the fact that the Pour House located by Doylestown, PA is where I first had the beer and the food I had with is was just as good. A bacon cheese burger topped with a smear of blue cheese- goo. Sooo tasty! (405 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of the "1001 Beers You Must Taste Before You Die" -- #34 of the ones I've reviewed here.

Well, this is a modern classic, from what's probably the best brewery (at least in my opinion) in the Philadelphia area -- which is a great area for beer all around. It's one of the standout American IPA's being produced.

Gets the pour pretty much perfect -- an enviable reddish gold with a head that lingers substantially. The nose is a blast of citrusy/lemon hops with just enough with just enough bitter grassiness from the hops to give the nose a bit of backbone -- it's not just pure lemon.

The mouthfeel is near perfect, it's brewed at a certain density to stand up to all the flavors here. And make no doubt, there's a lot of flavor here: this is (as you might expect, I guess) a hop showcase. I don't know if I'd call it especially deep, it's a pretty basic strong American hop presence, but it's a long, deep solid blast of it, is the thing. And just when you finish up the swallow a sneaky little finish skirts around and gives you an echo of what you just swallowed. Really exceptionally well constructed beer.

One of the best of the beers I've reviewed here, I don't know if it's my favorite American IPA but it's certainly in the running. A must-try, and I suspect on draft (I've never had it on draft) even better. (1,329 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is one of my favorite east coast IPAs. It has almost a rust or copper color to it. The head disappears rather quickly. It has a balanced hop aroma. The taste is where this beer shines. It starts off like an orange zest, then moves to some floral notes and finally finishes with a bready side.
Hop Devil doesn't get enough credit for being a very strong representation of an American IPA. Extremely delicious. (413 characters)

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company